PDA

View Full Version : The All-Inclusive Courtney Love/Hole Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Faust
06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Out of curiosity to anyone who ordered the big preorder package, has anyone heard anything about the vinyls and/or USB cassette tapes? They were supposed to ship about 3/4 weeks later than the rest of the order, but I've yet to receive mine.

On another note, super excited for the second Chicago show! :D

MikeEP
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
haven't heard anything about the pre-orders but they did just launch a whole online store: http://www.gomerch.com/xrx/body.php?module=store&id=174

this t-shirt is pretty amazing:

http://www.gomerch.com/mrv-resources/product_image/sublimation_z.jpghttp://www.gomerch.com/mrv-resources/product_image/sublimation_close.jpg

Faust
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Oooh yeah I did see the shirt. I'm hoping they'll be available at the shows.

JHV
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
That is a pretty awesome shirt. I might have to buy that, and I'm normally not big on band t-shirts.

I'm seeing Hole next Tuesday in Philly. I'm hoping that since it's the first date of the tour and her voice will be in its best possible condition that it'll be an extra-long set with plenty of the stuff they debuted in Europe (and maybe some more Live Through This classics). I'd really like to hear Honey as well, since that's one of my favorites from Nobody's Daughter and she didn't play it at any of the 3 shows I saw earlier this year.

MikeEP
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
^ yeah i'm seeing the Boston show, it'll be my first time EVER seeing her live so i'm nervous she's gonna cancel on me again. crossing my fingers though.

Faust
06-15-2010, 11:21 PM
This'll be my first time seeing her too. Can't wait to see what setlists are looking like :)

Honey
06-18-2010, 05:19 AM
That shirt is gorgeous!

I am gonna be so broke after the ATL show.

Courtney / Hole crap vs. all the versions of Kylie's "Aphrodite" - its like my teenage and adult self will be battling it out!

NUHN
06-20-2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADA6D3Jm-TE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVCgrg8_QI&feature=related

There's two parts to the second one, not sure if these have been posted yet at the old forum. She looks nice, especially in the first one. Wow part 2 of the second video is awkward, Toure asks Courtney who told her about Kurt's sucide, and there's some awkward one word answers from Courtney about her self-destructive ways.

SisterErnestine
06-20-2010, 05:56 AM
^That second video was really awkward and kind of hard to sit through.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched for Behind the Music, Monday, June 21st.

SisterE

NUHN
06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
^That second video was really awkward and kind of hard to sit through.

I know. And I didn't care for the way that Touré got a bit snotty at the end when Courtney semi-slammed Lady Gaga. She's being interviewed and giving her opinions (which are always free-wheeling, interesting, and honest), we don't need him copping an attitude IMO IMO. Courtney's still has some of her punk ethos I suppose and insanely blatant product placement probably doesn't gel with it. So STFU up Touré.

JonBcn
06-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't suppose anyone knows anything about a European broadcast date for tonight's Behind the Music special? I'd kill to see it.

NUHN
06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
^Hopefully someone will upload it to YouTube and you can see it there. I can't wait for it!

paper tiger
06-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Behind The Music was pretty good, I saw photos and footage i'd never seen before. But why does Courtney now sound like Miley Cyrus when she talks?

SisterErnestine
06-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I think part of it was because she was about to ready to cry.

MikeEP
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
i thought it was well-done and did a great job of focusing on her music and how well received Pretty On The Inside, Live Through This and Celebrity Skin were, while still addressing everything else that's happened. it was cool that they got Patty, Kat Bjelland and Jennifer Finch to do interviews too. i really wish Courtney could've got Patty back for this version of Hole, the guy she's got just sounds like a session drummer. Patty's drumming was what gave so many of the Live Through This songs that sense of urgency. her comments about America's Sweetheart were interesting too, just in terms of how many hands were on that album and how scattered it sounds as a result.

the interviews with Courtney were a little strange even just in terms of the camera angle which seemed super tight on her face, and on a superficial note i wish they had done the interview after she lost the crazy hair extensions.

JHV
06-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm waiting to get into the show tonight and can hear part of the soundcheck. So far they've done Plump (!!!) and Boys On the Radio.

MikeEP
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
^ exciting! i'd love to hear Plump. i'm seeing her tomorrow night, can't fucking wait.

Faust
06-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Awesome to both of those! Hope the show's great!

JHV
06-23-2010, 05:35 AM
The show was excellent. I'm not sure if I'd rank this show as objectively better than the 2nd NYC show from earlier this year, there were moments that were much better tonight but it was a little less intense overall especially for the opening 4 songs (That's partially due to the crowd, not Hole though). Her voice was excellent until the encore when it started to give out a bit.

Subjectively speaking it was better, but that's because Courtney talked to me from the stage AND gave me her lipstick. She said they were going to play the song that should've been a big hit from Celebrity Skin, and that she'd give something special to whoever guessed it. I yelled Boys On The Radio, she yelled What and pointed at me, I said it again, and she got this big grin on her face and was like "You got it!" and handed the lipstick to the security guy to give to me (The stage at the Electric Factory is really high so she couldn't get off it). For the interested, she wears Make Up For Ever Professional lipstick, it's red and shade 207. If anyone sees a video of Boys On The Radio from this show with this bit attached, please let me know, I'd love to have it.

Highlights of the show:
-PLUMP! This was the song I most wanted to hear her play at all of the shows I went to this year, and I had asked her for it in NYC, so it was great to finally hear it. The new band had it down and both Courtney and the crowd were very into it.
-Boys On The Radio- This was surprisingly intense, Courtney was crying while she sang it. She also cried during Northern Star and Letter To God.
-Doll Parts- The Doll Parts performance was great but standard, until she added a new half-improvised verse from Pretty Your Whole Life to the end that was really good.
-Closer/The Man That Got Away- Courtney's voice is surprisingly suited to Man That Got Away, she goes very low for it and it works so well I think she should probably sing a few more songs low and menacing like that. The slower version of Closer she's been playing worked a million times better live than it did in videos.
-Pacific Coast Highway- Courtney had the crowd sing the "your whole world is in my hands" part and seemed genuinely delighted when people knew the words and joined in.
-Take This Longing- A big improvement from the versions in NYC, it's obvious she's practiced this one a fair amount since then.
-She also sang a few lines from Hurt and a song I didn't recognize near the beginning of the set.
-Courtney talked about her Behind The Music for a few seconds, saying she liked the first hour but the second hour was ehh, that her half-sister looked fat and her entire family was fat and thus shouldn't be on TV, and dedicated a song to Francis' first nanny who apparently has cancer.
- She had on a ridiculous pair of black boots, and played most of the show with nothing covering her panties, which were either jeweled or just VERY glittery and cost $800.
- She said she was late to the show because she was obsessively texting some guy she has a crush on, and then asked the crowd who was an overtexter because sometimes she feels like she's the only one.
- Courtney actually played guitar on a few songs and you could tell it was her playing, not the "hidden" guitarist.

The only disappointments with the show were that they continue to use their underwhelming "Play With Fire" cover as the start of the encore, and that Honey/Dirty Girls weren't played, which means I'll probably never get to hear them live since it's the last show I'm doing this tour (unless I go to Sasquatch Festival, but they're not going to play them there) and if they're rarities now, I doubt they'll get played on another tour (assuming there even is one!)

Jake
06-23-2010, 05:55 AM
^^Sounds like a great show! So pumped to see her in Chicago. I'm still in disbelief the tour is still going. It'd be too easy to get comfortable with Courtney being back on track and clean/sober. As Behind The Music showed, she's been up and down her whole life. Sincerely hope everything's together now.

JonBcn
06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm glad she's holding it together too, because sometimes you get the impression that she's on the brink going off on one...That show sounds great. I wonder if there'll be a live DVD at some point?

The Behind the Music show is now online in its entirety on VH1.com. Unfortunately not for those of us in Europe :(

Faust
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Glad she seems to be doing well and that you had a positive experience - this makes me even more excited for Chicago.

MikeEP
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
thanks for the review, headlikeahole. sounds like a great show! i really hope they play both Plump and Boys on the Radio again tonight. i'm dying to hear Honey too but it seems unlikely.

MikeEP
06-24-2010, 02:24 PM
wow, the show last night was really great, far exceeded my expectations - i really didn't know what to expect but it was clear from the first song she was in a really good mood and had tons of energy. i really didn't expect her voice to sound that strong, especially since she really didn't seem to be holding back at all with the screaming. she was definitely playing guitar on a lot of the songs, including the intro to Miss World and a few other improvs she did including one that had lyrics from Pretty Your Whole Life. the highlights for me were Plump, Boys on the Radio (both of which sounded really solid and the band seemed to really enjoy playing), Awful, and the ferocious version of Gold Dust Woman that closed the main set (i got chills the way she howled the "shadow of a woman...black widow" parts towards the end, along with how intensely she belted out the "better put your kingdom up for sale" line). i've never been that crazy about Letter to God but she really sold it for me, it was such an intense performance. overall it was such a cool experience for me to finally be seeing her perform songs like Violet and Reasons to Be Beautiful and Malibu after being a fan for so many years. the show looked it was close to sold out, it was definitely the biggest crowd i've seen at a show at House of Blues. they did a 2-for-1 one-day sale yesterday so i'm sure that helped. i was really surprised to hear Stand Up Motherfucker in the encore, which was just her and Micko playing acoustic guitar. she forgot the lyrics to one of the verses but it was cute.

she asked after a few songs if people were gonna put their videos on YouTube, and then on Boys on the Radio she asked who was recording so she could play to their camera. i'm hoping whoever taped it does upload it because it was an amazing performance.

the setlist is behind the spoiler, i think it's slightly out of order but this is everything they played.

POTI/Sympathy for the Devil
Skinny Little Bitch
Miss World
Violet
Closer/The Man Who Got Away
Awful
Letter to God
Take This Longing
Pacific Coast Highway
Reasons to Be Beautiful
Plump
Malibu
How Dirty Girls Get Clean
Celebrity Skin
Gold Dust Woman
------
Doll Parts
Play With Fire
Boys on the Radio
Stand Up Motherfucker
Thirteen

JonBcn
06-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Glad you had such a good time. :) I still say that when she's on form, there's no rock star as engaging as Courtney.

MikeEP
06-24-2010, 04:57 PM
^ it's true, her stage presence and charisma is undeniable when she's really on. the crowd was eating it up. i'm really happy i finally got to see her, especially when she was so on top of her game.

someone yelled out a request for 20 Years in the Dakota and she said she really wants to do it and told the guys she wanted them all to learn it. also,as we were coming out of the club, i saw Micko come out of the gate from the side of the club and walk directly into the bar next door. ;)

SisterErnestine
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I really hope 20 Years in the Dakota comes out soon. That's my all time favorite Hole song!!

SisterE

Andyland
06-24-2010, 09:28 PM
The Philly show was great. So much better than the NYC shows back in April. She started singing "burn the witch, burn the witch" during the instrumental parts of Northern Star.

Perky Compson
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
An old, fabulous Clovey speech. (http://www.salon.com/technology/feature/2000/06/14/love)

Glindathegood
06-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm seeing her on Sunday. So excited!

SisterErnestine
06-25-2010, 09:22 AM
So, Perky's post made me want to ask...what are your favorite Clove quotes?

Here's mine...I would like to find the Youtube of this, just because its pretty hilarious:

I hate the fucking summer!!!! Put a fucking sweater on!

Andyland
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
haven't heard anything about the pre-orders but they did just launch a whole online store: http://www.gomerch.com/xrx/body.php?module=store&id=174

http://www.gomerch.com/mrv-resources/product_image/sublimation_z.jpg

Oddly enough, they show the shirt on a guy, and yet it's only available in gal sizes...

Faust
06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
That confused me as well. I'm going to wait for my show to see what merch they have available there.

MikeEP
06-26-2010, 06:51 PM
i was just watching some youtube videos and her energy level at the shows this week compared to the previous US shows in April is like night and day. she really seems to have her swagger/confidence back and it really looks like she's enjoying herself up there.

toriMODE
06-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Saw her run of Behind the Music last night, and really enjoyed watching it. She's had such a crazy life!

MikeEP
06-26-2010, 10:39 PM
god bless youtube. someone uploaded the whole HBO Reverb special from 1999. here's part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNzLK2FljQg&feature=related

SisterErnestine
06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
^^ Thank you so much for finding that!!! I've been looking around forever waiting for it to be uploaded.

SisterE

MikeEP
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
So, Perky's post made me want to ask...what are your favorite Clove quotes?

Here's mine...I would like to find the Youtube of this, just because its pretty hilarious:

I hate the fucking summer!!!! Put a fucking sweater on!

this one's always been one of my favorites, which is basically her advice to women in rock. it was from an interview with NME, wish i could find the full text:

You’ve got to be prepared for the names they are going to call you compared to your male peers… You will be a floozy and a slattern. He will be virile and a ladies’ man. You will be a freakshow, a retching wretch, a sloppy drunk. He will be charismatic, vainglorious, a ferocious drunk, and Dionysian. You will be indiscriminate and desperate. He will be generous, tortured, and driven.

You will be so ‘frail you may break at a mere wisp of wind’. He will be alienated and aggressive. You will be greedy and a control freak too, but mostly you will be ‘primal’, ‘primitive’ and ‘instinctive’. If not, then you will be ‘contrived’. He will be in command, a cocksman, big-dicked, a genius reinventing his instrument with superhuman technique soul magic. He will be natural and a perfectionist, he will rarely, if ever, be ‘primal’ in the way that you, the female, will always be ‘primitive.'

SisterErnestine
06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDWWvjVBArw&feature=related

I love this cover. And I love the Wipers!!!

SisterE

MikeEP
06-27-2010, 11:38 PM
apparently they did Sunset Marquis in Norfolk,VA last night. it's cool they're doing some of the demo songs too. i wonder if there's any chance they'd do unreleased stuff like Everything I Touch? at one point she was talking about it being one of the best songs on the album.

JHV
06-28-2010, 07:59 AM
apparently they did Sunset Marquis in Norfolk,VA last night. it's cool they're doing some of the demo songs too. i wonder if there's any chance they'd do unreleased stuff like Everything I Touch? at one point she was talking about it being one of the best songs on the album.

I'm so jealous they got Sunset Marquis! It's great they keep debuting new songs, 20 Years In The Dakota is coming soon, and I hope there's Gutless and a band version of Best Sunday Dress after that.

MikeEP
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
so the D.C. show got a horrible review from the Washington Post (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/06/in_concert_hole_at_930_club.html), but the setlist included Olympia, Car Crash, Sunset Marquis, Jennifer's Body and Asking For It.

SisterErnestine
06-29-2010, 03:45 AM
I really need to stop reading comments after anything related to Courtney...The whole "Courtney killed Kurt" thing is oh so 1995. *insert eye roll here*

SisterE

JonBcn
06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Ooh! Great that she's brought Car Crash and Sunset Marquis out.

But that review was really tough. I sense that it was probably true though. It sounds like she was trying to re-create the fun and spontaneity (not to mention length) of the Glasgow show, and failed.

MikeEP
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
^ yeah, i guess you never know what you're gonna get with her shows, which in my mind is an amazing thing. you don't get those moments of brilliance without her taking the risks of it completely falling flat.

Faust
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
My USB and vinyl finally came. If I get the chance, I'll upload some of the pictures that came on the USB.

JHV
06-29-2010, 11:51 PM
The DC show sounds like a fascinating trainwreck. I think she probably talked so much because her voice was shot, and she wanted to make up for that with some entertaining commentary. The assistant filming the whole thing to put up on youtube and blocking people's views is ridiculous though, I'm glad that didn't happen any of the times I saw her.

Honey
06-30-2010, 05:10 AM
I will be going to the Atlanta show tonight! I cannot wait!!!

Sleep Baby Jane
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Read the post article but also read this one. No, it's not my blog, I don't even know who's it is but I think it balances out the post article VERY we..

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/articles/100491.htm

I was at the show. If you wanted as well polished rock show, this was not for you, at all. But if you wanted Courtney, raw raw Courtney then it was perfect. Personally watching Courtney try and remember half of the songs on Live Through This as if she was at a party and someone requested it was actually super cool, it was like a huge rehearsal, something regular audiences never get to see. She wasn't sober, that's for sure but damn was it entertaining.. IF you wanted a raw Courtney love.

Ime Achoo Dooa
07-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Any idea what she was fucked up on?

Honey
07-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Just got from the Atlanta show...

The setlist (and this is NOT in order but, I will try)

"Pretty On The Inside / Sympathy for The Devil"
"Skinny Little Bitch"
"Closer"
"Miss World"
"Letter To God"
"Asking For It" (written in Marietta, Ga. Wow!)
"Violet"
"Pacific Coast Highway" (which was written for Stevie Nicks as well, interesting!)
"Someone Elses Bed"
"Awful"
"Take This Longing"
"Malibu" (also written for Stevie Nicks)
"Celebrity Skin"

Encore:
"Doll Parts"
"Boys On The Radio"
"Thirteen"
"Never Go Hungry Again"

They didn't get to the stage until almost 10:30 (with no real reason given) and Courtney's voice is getting a beating! She made mention that her throat wasn't going to make it to Miami. She said the ATL show was a very "throaty" one. She also made mention that she had the majority of her plastic surgery done in Atlanta.

The show was tight and it was good. I was in the front row and had a great view and got some amazing shots!

Just an FYI to those going to the shows...she is signing after the show, at least she did in ATL but, it was very, very, very quick! I managed to get my "Miss World" and "Malibu" singles signed and I am super, super excited.

Opening band was Foxy Shazam and they were pretty decent. Not bad at all.

I know this post is all over the place but, its after 3am and I have been up almost 24hrs so - am a bit tired.

JonBcn
07-03-2010, 06:28 PM
A little off topic, but I saw that Frances' art work has gone on display - it's not really to my taste but she's talented that's for sure.

http://lafiga.firedoglake.com/2010/07/02/frances-bean-cobain-debuts-her-art-at-la-luz-de-jesus/

Simon
07-06-2010, 03:18 AM
is there a way we can meet her when we go to a show ???
i'm going to the show in toronto saturday and i can't fucking wait to see her

JonBcn
07-06-2010, 07:23 AM
All you can really do is get there early and hang around the stage door, same after the show. There's a good chance she'll come out and sign stuff, she's usually pretty good with that.

MikeEP
07-08-2010, 12:19 AM
they did Petals in Houston...apparently for the first time live ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3QzUkFqRfE

hex object
07-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Full version of Petals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KG-rZXGaws&feature=player_embedded

And yeah it was the first time ever.

Homogenik
07-08-2010, 04:03 AM
I was a huge fan of live through this but didn't like celeb skin a bit so is there any chance I might be interested in hole's new record? just askin

Andyland
07-08-2010, 04:26 AM
I would say it's closer to Celebrity Skin, but still worth a listen.

clarion
07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I was a huge fan of live through this but didn't like celeb skin a bit so is there any chance I might be interested in hole's new record? just askin

I think the album is shit but the title track is great. At least give that a listen.

Ime Achoo Dooa
07-08-2010, 04:59 AM
I just stumbled upon this 9 part series of MTV2's "24 Hours of Love" from 2002. I'm going to go make a huge plate of spaghetti and watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx7Zvrj9-g0&feature=related

The Seaward
07-08-2010, 07:27 AM
so my wife/hag extraordinaire was at the dallas show tonight. she said they covered NIN's "Closer". i'm in a rage. why the fuck wasn't i there? oh yeah. my job doesn't understand that seeing courtney IS, in fact, a life or death situation. :(

here are a couple of pics my betch snapped.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs160.snc4/37342_1426604058230_1026657616_31001246_4803218_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs162.snc4/37414_1426547456815_1026657616_31001173_2627213_n.jpg

next time, c.love. next time. i still did a couple of vodka shots tonight in your honor. [post28]

SisterErnestine
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Happy birthday, Clove....

SisterErnestine
07-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Early demo of Best Sunday Dress. The Pagan Babies/Sugar Baby Doll version. Coming from Courtney, Jennifer Finch, and Kat Bjelland...its surprisingly poppy for them. Its very Smiths-y...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSt7sJSBflQ

halo eighteen
07-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Went to the Detroit show tonight - kind of a last minute thing, and quite literally. Showed up at 9:20pm and thought Courtney would be typically late/strung out/whatever only to find out they'd already gone through about a third of the set, which unfortunately included VIOLET, MISS WORLD, and at least a partial cover of NIN's CLOSER, among several other songs. They were done by 10:21

Also kind of a lame crowd. We had balcony seats but were then told that we could access the main floor/pit area. Poor sales, I'm guessing. Everyone was standing around lifeless like morphine addicts and giving us weird/annoyed looks when we started dancing to older songs. So we quickly made our way around the side of the stage about 3 rows of people back with a crowd of energetic people, which included a really cute gay couple that eventually took their shirts off. No complaints. Realizing we were now in the middle of a rowdy bunch of people, I had to down my drink before I would end up spilling it all over myself or others. My friend decided to crowd surf to try to get Courtney's attention but it only set off a chain reaction of like 10 people after her to do the same thing. The largely motionless crowd wasn't handling that too well.

Also Courtney revealed that Michigan is the only other state besides Washington that Kurt ever lived in. I never knew that.
I don't remember all that was played. Quite a few quieter numbers and newer songs/covers. I don't think it was as long a set as some other cities have gotten. Just one encore and I think Thirteen ended it (pleasant surprise). Celebrity Skin, Malibu, Boys on the Radio, Reasons to Be Beautiful, Plump, Doll Parts, Pacific Coast Highway are all songs I recall off the top of my head. All in all, pretty good show. Not sure it's valid to call them HOLE - but whatever, Courtney will do what she wants. She looked and sounded good. Some panties got thrown up on stage and she said she wanted more, so what followed throughout the night was an endless barrage of bras, granny panties, and some disgusting stained tighty-whities. She'd put every new collection around the mic stand and I felt so bad for the stagehand after the show, who had to take them all off and throw them out to the crowd (??!!? can you say ew?)

Micko was also out in the lobby after the show, and he's cute. Very british. And also appeared to be fucked up on something. He wasn't quite all there, lol. He wanted my friend to buy him a vodka tonic. She did, so we got to stay and talk to him for a while. This security guy wanted us out and Micko was like "hey, I'm talking to them, can't they stay a bit?" Just got to ask him how he got involved with Courtney. Was pretty interesting. Anyway, wow I'm rambling. Good show, lame crowd (seriously, it's a fucking rock concert), but it was made better when we found our little niche on the floor. Wish we could have gotten there earlier.

JonBcn
07-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Glad you had a good time!

I don't really like to cast aspersions about people, but Micko always seems to be completely off his face. He reminds me of Pete Doherty, with his pallid skin and constant sweats. Not a good look. Everytime I read a comment from someone who has met him, they say the same thing.

Simon
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I went to the Toronto show , and it was AMAZING
beside the fact that i nearly died ! the crowd was so fucking crazy damn

halo eighteen
07-12-2010, 05:38 PM
He reminds me of Pete Doherty, with his pallid skin and constant sweats.

THIS. I think Micko said he had either carpal tunnel or tremors. He had us look at his wrists and there was a bump on one, and he was shaking a bit. He prefered to hug people rather than shake hands. I thought he was just really touchy feely at first but then he mentioned that.

I just looked on last.fm and the set was indeed shorter than other cities - at least I didn't miss much, I think we walked in at the tail end of Letter to God (which the printed set that we saw afterwards had Closer attached to):

Pretty on the Inside / Sympathy for the Devil
Skinny Little Bitch
Miss World
Violet
Closer / Letter to God
Pacific Coast Highway
Codine
Reasons to Be Beautiful
Take This Longing
Plump
Someone Else's Bed
Celebrity Skin
Doll Parts
-------------------
Malibu
Play with Fire
Boys on the Radio
Honey
Thirteen

JonBcn
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
It's interesting that that set list only has five songs from the new album that they're supposed to be promoting. Can she be bored of it already?

Glindathegood
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
It's interesting that that set list only has five songs from the new album that they're supposed to be promoting. Can she be bored of it already?

I don't think it's a matter of her being bored with it. More the audience is not responding to the new songs! I don't think five songs is really that little. Most older artists don't put that many more new songs in because fans get bored and restless. I love Courtney and ND has its moments, but it doesn't hold a candle to either Celebrity Skin or Live Through This. Face it, people are there to hear the older stuff they know.
I hope Courtney will make another album after this. I think she overthinks and redoes things too much. Next time, she should just make an album quickly and instinctively. The original demos for ND were so much better than the final album. I also think the Hole thing works against her. I would prefer she makes a solo album under her own name. I know she says she needs other people to work with, but most solo artists work with others. There are very few solo artists who write and play everything themselves. You don't have to record as a band to collaborate. Also, in a way the Hole name limits her. Hole is like a brand she has to do a certain type of rock. If she just recorded under "Courtney Love" it would actually free her up to experiment more and try different things. I hope she thinks about that.

Faust
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Has "Samantha" come out at all this tour yet? She talked so much about how much she liked it, but I don't think I've actually seen it on any of the tour setlists.

Glindathegood
07-12-2010, 09:19 PM
She played Samantha at that infamous DC show that I had the misfortune to be a part of. It was actually good. It was at the beginning of the show. She started out great for the first couple of songs before she abandoned the set list and went crazy! I still love her and her music, but I'm pissed that we in DC got a disaster and everyone else got a great show.

Faust
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd love it if she played it when I see her on Thursday. And fuck, she needs to learn Olympia and play it again this tour.

Andyland
07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Has "Samantha" come out at all this tour yet? She talked so much about how much she liked it, but I don't think I've actually seen it on any of the tour setlists.

I was at NYC1, NYC2, and Philly, and I'm pretty sure she played it at all three of my shows.

MikeEP
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Courtney's birthday show in Ottawa looks like it was great too...seems like the crowd was really into it and that courtney liked playing for such a big audience:

http://www.courtney-love.org/ottawa-070910

halo eighteen
07-13-2010, 01:43 AM
She played Samantha at that infamous DC show that I had the misfortune to be a part of. It was actually good. It was at the beginning of the show. She started out great for the first couple of songs before she abandoned the set list and went crazy! I still love her and her music, but I'm pissed that we in DC got a disaster and everyone else got a great show.

See, it's antics like that which give me a really volatile love-hate relationship with her. Even if the Detroit set was short, I'm glad it was at least concise, somewhat sober, and devoid of any attention-seeking shenanigans. The woman is clearly capable of achieving greatness, but consistent she is not.

Jake
07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Random! I am seeing Hole tonight!!! dkljagl;djksa; I have tickets for the 2nd Chicago show, but my friend has an extra for tonight and he's graciously giving it to moi. Cannot wait! I'll report back later with a set and review.

Faust
07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Have fun! :D

MikeEP
07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think it's a matter of her being bored with it. More the audience is not responding to the new songs!

I disagree. People at my show were shouting out requests for Honey and Nobody's Daughter and down in front there was a big crowd singing along with every word to PCH. Dirty Girls, Skinny Little Bitch and Letter to God (which was a really emotional, powerhouse performance and I've never been a big fan of the song before that but she totally sold it) got some of the biggest applause of the night. The old stuff is undeniably the big draw but I definitely think the new material is going over well.

Jake
07-15-2010, 05:52 AM
She was absolutely fantastic tonight. Her voice was SPOT on, I was in disbelief as she nailed even the highest, hardest screams. She did it all the way through the end, too!

I don't remember the exact set, but I'm sure it'll turn up soon. She did Samantha! Which is weird since we were just talking about it here. And it was great!

Faust
07-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Excellent! I have high hopes for tomorrow's show then too! EXCITED! :D

Jake
07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Alright, a little more indepth review. First of all, opener Foxy Shazam was on so much coke, it wasn't even funny. Actually, at one point, it got totally disgusting: he lit five cigarettes in his mouth, and then ATE THEM. Yes, ate them. Chewed them, swallowed some. He opened his mouth midway through chewing to prove his "feat." It was one of the most disgusting things I've seen. Musically, I enjoyed a few of the songs. Might check them out.

Hole went on about 9:30. Opened with Pretty On The Inside/Sympathy For the Devil, as usual. I was so into the show, so I don't remember the exact set order. So I'm gonna break it down by album:

Violet
Miss World
Plump
Doll Parts
Asking For It
Celebrity Skin
Reasons To Be Beautiful
Northern Star
Boys On The Radio
Skinny Little Bitch
Honey
Someone Else's Bed
Samantha
Pacific Coast Highway
Letter to God
Never Go Hungry Again
Thirteen
Take This Longing (Leonard Cohen cover... I think this was the name?)

Ended at 11 pm. Moodwise, she seemed in great spirits. Made a few comments about being on Billy Corgan's stomping grounds, said she wrote "Violet" after he gave her her first Vicodin. At the start of "Letter to God," she told this HIDEOUSLY annoying girl to "SHH!!!" which got a huge response. This girl, by the way, was out of her mind and dancing all over everyone and pushing, trying to get to the front. After the song, Courtney addressed her directly: "You in the front? You need to shut the fuck up. *more cheers* No, seriously, you're being that annoying girl at the concert that everyone hates. I never used to be that girl....I was crazy but I was never that girl. It's a bad characteristic to have." This, unfortunately, just made her cheer since Courtney addressed her directly. Later in the show, during the encore, security had to break up a fight between her and two other women. INSANE! I wanted to thank her after the show for ruining a few songs and for being a selfish cunt.

The band was fantastic, but of course Courtney stole the show. When I say she was spot on all night, I really mean it. I'm someone who's pretty critical of her voice when it's weak. But it was so incredibly strong. I remember looking at my friend after "Plump" with my jaw-dropped. She NAILED that one, and even told the audience afterwards, "That was fucking hard... but I think it was good, right?" Definitely a highlight of the night. There wasn't a single weak song, actually. The Leonard Cohen cover brought things down a little but not enough to stop the momentum. Overall, it was a satisfying experience to see/hear this woman who I've admired and followed since I was 13 at the top of her game doing what she does best. I want this to be the Courtney we know until the day she dies. One of the most poignant moments was when she sang "Honey" and during the lyric "Sweet as honey... we'll live forever," the crowd gave a huge cheer and she smiled. Amazing show.

JonBcn
07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
^ Great review, thanks! That was exactly how I felt after the Glasgow show. She can be so thrilling when she's on form, and it's really a pity she's so hit and miss.

It's also a pity that it's quite common to have to deal with complete nutcases in the crowd at Hole shows!

scottslean
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM
ok, so this is funny and crazy..

it started as a drunken idea with my buddies but now thanks to twitter we're on Courtney's radar. go make fun of me here:

www.courtneylovehireme.tumblr.com

Faust
07-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Heading downtown now for the show. Excited! :D

Jake
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's the exact set from last night:

Pretty on the Inside
Sympathy for the Devil (The Rolling Stones cover)
Skinny Little Bitch
Miss World
Violet
Letter to God
Asking for It
Pacific Coast Highway
Reasons to Be Beautiful
Take This Longing (Leonard Cohen cover)
Samantha
Plump
Someone Else's Bed
Celebrity Skin
Doll Parts

Encore:
Malibu
Play with Fire (The Rolling Stones cover)
Boys On the Radio
Honey
Thirteen (Big Star cover)
Never Go Hungry Again
Northern Star

Perfection! If anything, I'd love to hear Dying, I Think That I Would Die, Jennifer's Body, or Gold Dust Woman tonight.

toriMODE
07-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Went to the Detroit show tonight - kind of a last minute thing, and quite literally. Showed up at 9:20pm and thought Courtney would be typically late/strung out/whatever only to find out they'd already gone through about a third of the set, which unfortunately included VIOLET, MISS WORLD, and at least a partial cover of NIN's CLOSER, among several other songs. They were done by 10:21

Also kind of a lame crowd. We had balcony seats but were then told that we could access the main floor/pit area. Poor sales, I'm guessing. Everyone was standing around lifeless like morphine addicts and giving us weird/annoyed looks when we started dancing to older songs. So we quickly made our way around the side of the stage about 3 rows of people back with a crowd of energetic people, which included a really cute gay couple that eventually took their shirts off. No complaints. Realizing we were now in the middle of a rowdy bunch of people, I had to down my drink before I would end up spilling it all over myself or others. My friend decided to crowd surf to try to get Courtney's attention but it only set off a chain reaction of like 10 people after her to do the same thing. The largely motionless crowd wasn't handling that too well.

Also Courtney revealed that Michigan is the only other state besides Washington that Kurt ever lived in. I never knew that.
I don't remember all that was played. Quite a few quieter numbers and newer songs/covers. I don't think it was as long a set as some other cities have gotten. Just one encore and I think Thirteen ended it (pleasant surprise). Celebrity Skin, Malibu, Boys on the Radio, Reasons to Be Beautiful, Plump, Doll Parts, Pacific Coast Highway are all songs I recall off the top of my head. All in all, pretty good show. Not sure it's valid to call them HOLE - but whatever, Courtney will do what she wants. She looked and sounded good. Some panties got thrown up on stage and she said she wanted more, so what followed throughout the night was an endless barrage of bras, granny panties, and some disgusting stained tighty-whities. She'd put every new collection around the mic stand and I felt so bad for the stagehand after the show, who had to take them all off and throw them out to the crowd (??!!? can you say ew?)

Micko was also out in the lobby after the show, and he's cute. Very british. And also appeared to be fucked up on something. He wasn't quite all there, lol. He wanted my friend to buy him a vodka tonic. She did, so we got to stay and talk to him for a while. This security guy wanted us out and Micko was like "hey, I'm talking to them, can't they stay a bit?" Just got to ask him how he got involved with Courtney. Was pretty interesting. Anyway, wow I'm rambling. Good show, lame crowd (seriously, it's a fucking rock concert), but it was made better when we found our little niche on the floor. Wish we could have gotten there earlier.

LMAO! ewwwww

Faust
07-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Just got back from tonight's show. Setlist:

Pretty on the Inside
Symphony for the Devil
Skinny Little Bitch
Miss World
Violet
Pacific Coast Highway
Reasons to be Beautiful
Letter to God
Asking for It
Take This Longing
Awful
Plump
Someone Else's Bed
Celebrity Skin
How Dirty Girls Get Clean
Doll Parts

Encore:
Malibu
Playing with Fire
Boys on the Radio
Honey
Thirteen
Northern Star
Never Go Hungry
Nobody's Daughter
Samantha
Codine

In-depth review to come later. Great show!

Edit: Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what the cover songs were. They might have been the same as last night's, but I couldn't make out any of the words and haven't been watching YouTube videos from the shows.

Stephen
07-16-2010, 06:05 AM
^ Yeah the covers were the same both nights. In order, they were "Take This Longing" (Cohen), "Play with Fire" (Rolling Stones), and "Thirteen" (Big Star).

Absolutely FANTASTIC show tonight--even better than last night. The show went until midnight and her voice kept up until the very end. Truly amazing. It's so great to see her doing what she does best!

Faust
07-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Okay, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. :)

Courtney made me feel like a 12 year old kid seeing his favorite band for the first time again. I cannot express how much fun and how much energy there was at the show tonight. She arrived on stage pretty late (sometime after 10PM), but from then on, she was on fire all night. She was fun, enthusiastic, her voice sounded great, and she interacted a lot with the crowd. When I yelled out for "Olympia" she gave me a puzzled look and said something to the extent of "Olympia? Olympia my ass! I'm 47 now; I am not going to play Olympia, Teenage Whore, or any of that other shit." But at least I tried :)

I'm not sure if it was because I was smooshed against the baracade right in the direct center or what, but the show was hot as balls and seemed to be packed. The fans I got a chance to talk to before and during the show were all very friendly and it was nice to be able to enjoy the show without any drama.

Personal highlights for me included Awful, Plump, Dirty Girls, and pretty much the entire encore. Like I said, she was on fire. I was bit worried the set would get cut short/wouldn't deliver when she hadn't showed up even an hour after Foxy Shazam's set, but it turned out great. Foxy Shazam was also a lot of fun; they reminded me of a hipster version of Mindless Self Indulgence- ha!

I managed to get some great pictures of the show; I'll try and upload them sometime within the next couple of days! :)

Jake
07-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Mind=blown. Ears=ringing.

Beat last night's show, which I thought for sure would be impossible. I can't believe the passion she put into every single fucking song. Plus, you could tell she was riding on some kind of natural high; she wanted to keep playing, giving us 3 extra songs and sharing the high. Highlights were definitely Plump (again! holy shit), Celebrity Skin, Dirty Girls (she was sweating she was so into this one), Awful, and yes probably the entire encore because she was so in the moment. The reviews better be glowing all around for this show because I don't see how it could have been any better.

Part of me got so sad again watching her do Honey. That song rips me apart as it is, but I'm always rooting for her and would love to see her "live forever." I hope it's not the last time I have a chance to see her perform while she and I are alive. However, I can say with confidence that if these past two nights were, I will be forever grateful for the experience I had, and forever thankful to Courtney and the band for giving it to me.

The Seaward
07-16-2010, 06:55 AM
big star's "thirteen" is, hands down, one of my top 5 favorite songs of all time. i'd give my left nut to see hole play it.

MikeEP
07-16-2010, 01:56 PM
The reviews better be glowing all around for this show because I don't see how it could have been any better.

yeah, i hope there was some major press there to write good reviews, it sucked that the shitty Washington Post review of the D.C. show was so widely circulated (Rolling Stone, Gawker, etc.), yet her knocking it out of the park 2 nights in a row in Chicago probably won't get much attention outside of Chicago press.

great reviews though Jake and G. so glad you guys got such great shows.

Part of me got so sad again watching her do Honey. That song rips me apart as it is, but I'm always rooting for her and would love to see her "live forever." I hope it's not the last time I have a chance to see her perform while she and I are alive. However, I can say with confidence that if these past two nights were, I will be forever grateful for the experience I had, and forever thankful to Courtney and the band for giving it to me.

i know exactly what you mean, that's how i felt about the Boston show even though i wasn't lucky enough to get to see her do Honey. seeing her on top of her game really meant the world to me after so many years of following and listening to her.

Faust
07-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Some of the photos I took from last night's show:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs084.ash2/37551_405900853457_687383457_4553327_346112_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs038.snc4/34269_405900858457_687383457_4553328_3600440_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs065.snc4/34615_405900888457_687383457_4553334_570749_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs001.ash2/33432_405900873457_687383457_4553331_7262627_n.jpg

Simon
07-17-2010, 09:08 PM
her cover of play with fire is really good ! i loved it when i saw that in the encore .
And i was all teary during the encore because i thought she was just AMAZING the whole show and i've always wanted to see her .
it was just the best show of my life

pb
07-23-2010, 03:50 AM
http://whatcourtneyworetoday.com/

Kind of amusing. May trigger the linguistically anal.

Faust
07-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Uploaded two of the three folders of photos that came on the USB to my flickr, if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52289581@N03/

JHV
07-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Uploaded two of the three folders of photos that came on the USB to my flickr, if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52289581@N03/

Thanks for uploading those photos. I see the setlist to the New Year's Eve show is in there, has she ever commented on the song Amen? I remember her saying something about it being a response to Cohen's Hallelujah, but I haven't heard anything since and no video of the show surfaced.

MikeEP
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
awesome new photoshoot

http://www.courtney-love.org/sites/default/files/images/2010-08/dianagomez3.jpg

http://www.courtney-love.org/sites/default/files/images/2010-08/dianagomez4.jpg

not sure what these are for, but they were posted on courtney-love.org. 2 more:

http://www.courtney-love.org/sites/default/files/images/2010-08/dianagomez2.jpg

http://www.courtney-love.org/sites/default/files/images/2010-08/dianagomez1.jpg

Hole played 2 shows in Japan this weekend too, no word on the setlists though.

Simon
08-09-2010, 04:17 PM
wow ! love the pictures
thanks brambles !

toriMODE
08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I think she resembles Madonna there.

Jake
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
GORGEOUS pictures, thanks for posting.

JHV
08-10-2010, 05:59 AM
I love all the pictures except for the last one, where Courtney's face/hair looks wonky.

Courtney has been talking on twitter recently about how she's buying Milla Jolovich's house in the West Village. It looks like it might've actually gone though, since tonight she tweeted: "yes this is my new house! http://realestalker.blogspot.com/2010/05/milla-jovovich-re-lists-west-village.html ". I don't get why she'd share that though, it's practically asking for people to stalk you.

Faust
08-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Great pictures! Thanks for posting!

JonBcn
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I cant believe she played the same festival as Billy Corgan last weekend and it all seems to have gone off peacefully!

I'm already getting an itch for something new from Courtney. Has there been any more mentioned about the EP that Micko said would be released?

jimmy
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know where I could download the "behind the music" documentary? I really love it, and the only thing I've found was a "hollywood story" about her...

MikeEP
08-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Courtney attempted a cover of Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" in Paris tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TBQ-fTfj7k

it's not very good but it's cool to see her try it.

JonBcn
08-26-2010, 09:28 AM
That's funny. I've been at shows where she's literally ripped Pearl Jam t-shirts off people and torn them up.

JHV
08-26-2010, 09:40 AM
The Jeremy cover was pretty bad, but it was obviously meant as a fun one-off thing. I think it would've been better with the full band so there'd be more power for the ending.

How Dirty Girls Get Clean (Pop version) was also played last night for the first time. Someone better have gotten video! She also ditched Play With Fire and did Gold Dust Woman, hopefully that'll continue.

kingvirtue
08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
They should really consider performing "Dicknail" sometime.

MikeEP
08-29-2010, 04:04 PM
How Dirty Girls Get Clean (Pop version) was also played last night for the first time. Someone better have gotten video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNQnPFVYF0

JHV
08-29-2010, 11:38 PM
^Thanks for posting that! I think the hook on that version is better/catchier than 2/3 of what actually made the album, I hope it gets released at some point.

Courntey is continuing to do that Jeremy cover, playing it at the last 3 shows, so I guess she's determined to nail it. Here it is from the Warsaw, Poland show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8qHUMGu-k
It's a little better than it was a few nights ago, but her phrasing on it is still so odd and messy that I just don't think it'll ever work out.

JHV
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Here's Courtney and Micko doing an acoustic version of Samantha for an End Session on Sunday. I think this is the first (and probably only) time Samantha's been performed acoustically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEBIjn2P-oM

Jezebelle
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I saw her Behind the Music the other day. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know, but she sure had a fascinating and insane life. Abandoned at an early age, had a trust fund, on a Grateful Dead cover.... its no wonder she ended up in rock and roll. I almost wish she hadn't gotten with Kurt to see who she might have become without his shadow.

MikeEP
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
apparently Hole are playing a surprise gig tonight at Don Hills in NYC. http://www.courtney-love.org/tour-dates

JHV
09-12-2010, 05:55 AM
^There have been a ton of tweets from Fashion Week people excited about her opening with Sympathy For The Devil, which made me laugh. She also reportedly covered Bad Romance, but i'm not sure if it's a full cover or just a little bit like she did at some other show.

JonBcn
09-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Bugger Jeremy, here's a fun version of Bad Romance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4mwhO2Yd0&feature=player_embedded

Jake
09-14-2010, 02:37 PM
^Back in the day, or if she actually tried to get all the lyrics right, Courtney could do a mean cover of that song.

MikeEP
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
so Courtney claims on twitter that the show this weekend was her last one for a long time. she has a new Twitter account where she was tweeting to Jessica Veronica of the Veronicas to steal Micko because she's planning to focus on movies for a while.

JHV
09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
^Back in the day, or if she actually tried to get all the lyrics right, Courtney could do a mean cover of that song.

I think it could've been great if she didn't treat it like a joke, but ah well. I actually liked her "I want to drown in the palm of your hand" ad-lib more than the real lyrics too.

so Courtney claims on twitter that the show this weekend was her last one for a long time. she has a new Twitter account where she was tweeting to Jessica Veronica of the Veronicas to steal Micko because she's planning to focus on movies for a while.

It makes sense for her to do some movies now, she's rehabbed her reputation as a musician/performer as much as she's going to be able to since she pulled off the whole tour with only 1 train-wreck show and generally positive reviews. I've seen some rumours of a possible EP, which would be a nice way to close out this era and give us full studio versions of some of the songs like Sunset Marquis, Dirty Girls (Pop), Amen, and Pretty Your Whole Life that we know about/have demos of but which haven't been released, but that's unlikely. I know Courtney has said she's un-hireable for movies because of insurance stuff in the past (and it was an issue for Larry Flynt) so I wonder if that's changed at all or if it'll still be difficult for her to be in anything.

AshaBlack
09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
i'd like to see Courtney in a few movies now.. I'm happy with Nobodys Daughter and the demo's that leaked before, so i can ride off that for a while music wise.. i'd like to see her gain more success as an actress as I think it'd be the only way the media would give her the respect she deserves.

JonBcn
09-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Here's a better 'Bad Romance' video, tweeted by Courtney herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPeOZnpK8ag

Also, Billy Corgan seems to be trying to keep a lid on something...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a277503/corgan-slams-irrelevant-courtney-love.html

Billy Corgan has criticised Courtney Love for insulting him while still playing his songs during her live shows.

The Smashing Pumpkins frontman told The Courier-Mail that Love should not be performing the material that he contributed to Hole's Celebrity Skin and comeback album Nobody's Daughter.

Corgan said of Love: "She's a great artist, I've always believed in her ability and certainly have looked the other way with her issues.

"Out of the blue she's talking s**t. She's got that crazy thing where she creates fantasies if people don't do what she wants them to do, like saying I snuck on to her record."

He continued: "The irony to tell the world totally untrue things about me, and then to go on stage, act like a prima donna and play songs I wrote. I just think don't play my songs if my contribution is so worthless.

"She's rendered herself irrelevant. She's always going to be a great artist but she's betrayed the important things that made her great so all that's left is her fire."

Corgan added that he had "nothing bad to say" about his friend Jessica Simpson, but added: "Courtney I don't mind kicking dirt on because she's just an idiot and she continues to slag me off.

"I'm enough of a gentleman not to talk about the things I've seen. She's literally making stuff up. Believe me, if I told people what I'd really seen, well, if she thinks she's got problems now..."

JHV
09-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Maybe Don Hills isn't the last Hole show for a while. Courtney tweeted this today:

@VMagazine when are we playing? Have you announced it yet? whats the day ? Maries off so im in a daze, i know its printemps., oct ?? what?

So we should be on the lookout for V Magazine announcing a party with Hole playing sometime soon.

kingvirtue
10-05-2010, 01:08 AM
I like the "Bad Romance" video. I just wish Courtney would do less "talking in the middle of songs".

JonBcn
10-07-2010, 05:31 AM
So the latest in this series of unlikely covers is Madonna's 'Like A Prayer'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGkqN9wfNs

JHV
10-11-2010, 03:15 AM
I would love to get the full performance of that! I think it's a much more natural fit for her (and a rock treatment in general) than Bad Romance, and it's interesting how she goes into Pretty Your Whole Life at the end. It's good that new stuff is still on her mind, gives me a little bit of hope that there'll be a new album or something sooner than Courtney's saying.

Here's their cover of Codeine from that same show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzIn3pwSLdM&playnext=1&videos=D5K5KpHu5ew&feature=mfu_in_order

I can't get over how great she looks at this show too.

MikeEP
10-11-2010, 12:21 PM
here they are rehearsing Like a Prayer and Pretty Your Whole Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uofHgFDJY

JHV
10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
^Thanks for posting that, Courtney running around in a circle as she sings is pretty funny.

Before another rant about Frances Bean, Courtney had a few interesting things to say about her music on Twitter yesterday. She said she thinks Pretty On The Inside has her best lyrics, and that her favorite lyrics she's written are "choking on her candy flesh. thats my fave lyroic cept one off CS “hit me , im purity , hit me again< and off this one ” Nobodys daughter she never was she never will." Of course, "I'm purity, hit me again" is from Jenifer's Body, not CS.

Courtney also said that in her head she's still trying to complete the America's Sweetheart songs, which actually helps explain some of the lyrical similarities between that and Nobody's Daughter. Someone tweeted her about Life Despite God and she said she didn't remember it though.

Jezebelle
10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I thought she gave up twitter after that picture of her was so horribly ridiculed... wasn't that like, last week?!

What did she say about FBC?

I find her cover of Bad Romance to be pretty bad. I'm not surprised she's covering it though - it has lyrics that she might have written herself.

JHV
10-12-2010, 04:05 AM
She gave up her "official" CourtneyLoveUK account, but she has a new, more private (I guess) twitter @CoLove1

The FBC rant was the same stuff as usual about how she's being ripped off by the trust and lawyers. She deleted most of those tweets this morning though.

MikeEP
10-31-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b208161_courtney_love_sings_lady_gaga_madonna.html

yikes. that video is fascinatingly bad. it's like an SNL skit of her covering that song, especially with the speak-singing and random scream. if she's gonna keep covering Bad Romance i wish she'd really work on it, especially a song like this that's bound to draw attention from the press. god knows she can do some amazing covers and i think she could actually do something really interesting with it if she took it a little more seriously. i just hate that this is what the people who like to dismiss her as a tabloid disaster get to see as an example of her performing.

JHV
11-10-2010, 05:50 AM
There was an excellent and lengthy piece on Courtney in the New York Times this Sunday you can read here (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/fashion/07LOVE.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1). It's mainly focused on her attempts to rehab her image, not music, but as always, Courtney gives some great quotes.

Mike Barthel also wrote a great article on Courtney and her celebrity for The Awl (http://www.theawl.com/2010/11/courtney-love-courtney-love-courtney-love-boo) yesterday. He's interestingly ambivalent about her, and it's a pretty amusing read.

JonBcn
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
^ Thanks for posting, that was a great article. This paragraph kind of sums up everything in Courtneyworld:

Wilson begins his piece with Love bursting into a hotel room naked, putting on a see-through gown, and then walking through the lobby "with her breasts exposed to an assortment of prominent fashion figures." If you've ever had any sort of affection for punk rock, it's hard not to love this gesture as a fuck-you to the Madonna-whoring of the female form, flipping the bird to cultural attitudes that hold women's bodies to be something so precious that they can only be revealed in private. They're just boobs, after all! But then, this is Courtney; it's entirely possible she just didn't realize her tits were out, and it's hard not to feel this would undermine the power of the gesture maybe a little. Wilson notes that one of the things Courtney's been in the news for lately has been her abundance of plastic surgery, and while you can construct a good feminist argument about women's right to alter their appearances without facing public censure, it's hard to ignore the fact that Courtney did go a little nuts with it. She may be a feminist, but she sure as hell seems to have internalized the ol' beauty myth. It feels like a disappointing rejection of the message sent by her more au natural public appearances, the ones that felt anarchic and genuinely disruptive.

Volta
12-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Is there a clip of Courtney interrupting Madonna and Kurt Loder's MTV interview? When she threw her shoe at them. That was tv at it's best!!!

JHV
12-23-2010, 01:22 AM
^ Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTl611c9fs

Volta
12-23-2010, 01:42 AM
thanks thanks thanks - im on an ipod touch so it is hard for me to search youtube.

NUHN
12-24-2010, 04:00 PM
You've got to watch the uncut version. It gets even crazier after Madonna heads for the hills. Courtney tells her disgusting story about the encounter with Ted Nugent, and how she used to pronounce hyperbole as hi-per-bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEAj8QaJm0

toriMODE
12-24-2010, 06:56 PM
What drugs was she on?

SisterErnestine
12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't think she was on drugs per se...I just think she was on a lot of pills and a shitload of alcohol.

ETA: Fiancee says percacet and coke.

SisterE

Volta
12-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Are there any quotes of Courtney talking about Tori. My goodness ive been watching a lot of Court's interviews on youtube and she name drops like crazy! She seems to know about artist's deals, etc.

NUHN
12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
She told someone on her Twitter to listen to Little Earthquakes fairly recently - as a recommendation for good piano-based female songwriting.

She also once said that she and Kurt used to play Tori's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a joke, to laugh at it, not because they actually liked it.

And also she said something along the lines of 'I don't really know anything about her' when asked if "Professional Widow" was indeed about her. And she said something like, "she [Tori] thinks I did something to her and Trent's relationship.."

I don't have the energy to source these for you though, sowwy!

JHV
12-27-2010, 05:28 AM
She told someone on her Twitter to listen to Little Earthquakes fairly recently - as a recommendation for good piano-based female songwriting.

I believe that was from when she was sending Ke$ha twitter messages telling her to study various female songwriters including Patti Smith, Stevie Nicks, Kate Bush and Tori.

I think the Professional Widow comment is from when Courtney used to comment on things over at MoonWashedRose around 2006. She said she tried to get into the first 3 Tori albums but couldn't and doesn't get what people see in them. Lately it seems like she's softened her stance on Tori, and I think she said something else on Twitter along the lines of "Oh I've started to like some Tori stuff...probably because I'm getting older".

Volta
12-27-2010, 06:48 AM
who is tabitha?

toriMODE
12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I was wondering that too.

MikeEP
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
who is tabitha?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Soren?wasRedirected=true

halo eighteen
12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
She used to be a news anchor on MTV News, back when they actually had on the hour news updates, if anyone actually remembers that! Kurt Loder was the main one, but Tabitha Soren had a lot of air time, too. Sounds like there was some http://board.muse.mu/images/smilies/srsbeef.gif between Courtney and Tabitha but I don't remember any of it.

MikeEP
12-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Rolling Stone called the Hole "reunion" one of the top 11 biggest musical disasters of 2010.

The Hole Reunion

Courtney Love went on tour using the old band name — without her old bandmates, and she obviously could have used their help. Her voice was shot, the comeback album Nobody’s Daughter was a flop, and the only half-decent new song was a straight-up rip of the Verve’s “On Your Own.” The real musical brains of the operation must have been Melissa auf der Maur.

not that surprising but i'd never heard "On Your Own" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1AzTkY2tQ) which i must say does sound quite similar to "Honey" in parts...not a direct rip-off but i hear the resemblance. Courtney's mentioned being a big fan of the Verve many times too.

JHV
12-29-2010, 05:40 PM
^I hear the resemblance too, although it's different enough that it doesn't bother me. The one rip-off on the album that bothers me though is the way Courtney re-used the intro to Boys On The Radio (which was itself lifted from The Replacement's Unsatisfied) for Pacific Coast Highway.

It sucks that she got slammed about the tour, since every show I saw was great and aside from the DC show, most nights seemed to go really well, judging by both fan and pro reviews.

Faust
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Generally the people that slammed the tour cited DC, too. It's a shame, because the second Chicago show floored me.

MikeEP
12-29-2010, 05:44 PM
It sucks that she got slammed about the tour, since every show I saw was great and aside from the DC show, most nights seemed to go really well, judging by both fan and pro reviews.

agreed..the Boston show was great, i was really impressed at what a pro she was up there. it was a nice long, solid set.

MikeEP
03-29-2011, 02:44 AM
wow, i never thought i'd see these 4 together again in the same room (at least not Courtney and Eric)...this is from today at the MOMA screening of the Patty Schemel documentary "Hit So Hard":

http://www.fadedyouthblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Courtney-Love-at-a-screening-on-documentary-of-former-Hole-drummer-in-NYC4.jpg

here's the trailer for the documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxpzjrerEQ

here's an article from Billboard about the documentary:

http://www.billboard.com/news/hole-reunites-for-drummer-patty-schemel-1005097062.story#/news/hole-reunites-for-drummer-patty-schemel-1005097062.story

Hole Reunites For Drummer Patty Schemel's Documentary Premiere

Former Hole drummer Patty Schemel is happy that her new documentary is bringing together a Hole reunion of sorts.

Her onetime bandmates -- Courtney Love, Eric Erlandson and Melissa Auf Der Mar -- all plan to attend the premiere of "Hit So Hard: The Live & Near Death Story of Patty Schemel" tonight (Mar. 28) as part of the New Directors/New Films series in New York City, marking the quartet's first time together since the troubled making of the 1998 "Celebrity Skin" album.

"It'll be exciting," Schemel tells Billboard.com, "and, y'know, it's a little stressful I guess. I haven't seen everyone all together in 13 years. I've seen everyone individually, but not all together. It'll be exciting." As to whether it might result in some music-making, Schemel adds, "Nothing has been discussed, but I have a feeling... Who knows."

"Hit So Hard," which tells the story of Schemel's time in Hole from 1992-98, including her clashes with producer Michael Beinhorn during the recording of "Celebrity Skin" (a session player was ultimately used) and her battle with drug addiction. The project began about eight years ago, when Schemel, who's been clean since 2005, presented a collection of Hole videotapes to friend and film director P. David Ebersole for him to help her digitize. "He was looking at the footage and said, 'You should probably do something with this, this is great footage,' " Schemel remembers.

"It's really personal stuff. I never thought of it going everywhere. But I started explaining to him what each scene was, and he started to get the story and the story started to tell itself as each new tape was seen. He's a friend and I trusted that he wouldn't exploit any of the stuff or just focus on one part of the story. I did have reservations, but each year I became a little bit more clear and more sober and less foggy, and it seemed like [the film] was a good thing to do."

"Hit So Hard" features footage of Hole on stage, backstage and in the studio, as well as strikingly intimate scenes from Schemel's personal life, including time spent living with Love, the late Kurt Cobain and their daughter Frances Bean. Love, Erlandson and Auf Der Maur are interviewed in the documentary, and Erlandson provided sound board recordings to sync up to the live footage. Also appearing in the film are Veruca Salt's Nina Gordon, Faith No More's Roddy Bottum (who wrote "Hit So Hard's" score), Fanny drummer Alice De Buhr, the Bangles' Debbi Peterson, Phranc, Luscious Jackson/Beastie Boys drummer Kate Schellenbach and members of Schemel's family.

"It's the story of my band and the story of my addiction," explains Schemel, who now lives in the Silver Lake section of Los Angeles with her wife and their six-month-old daughter and plays in the band Psychic Friend with Will Schwartz from Imperial Teen. "This is my perspective, which is different than, I guess, what the world sees or what the world was allowed to see. This is my private view of what I went through... and over the years, as I got clean, I've discovered that I'm not just Patty who plays drums in Hole or was in Hole. The cleaner and more focused I became, the more I discovered things about myself and that it wasn't all about the identity of being that drummer in Hole."

"Hit So Hard" is slated to be screened at other film festivals in hopes of being picked up for distribution.

more photos from the screening here (http://www.fadedyouthblog.com/223916/courtney-love-reuintes-with-hole-bandmates-for-hit-so-hard-premiere/courtney-love-at-a-screening-on-documentary-of-former-hole-drummer-in-nyc4)

Baltic
03-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Wow. Courtney looks like an 80 year old lady who goes overboard with make up. Eric looks like he has for the past 15 years!

JonBcn
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I can't wait to see this movie, I contributed to the funding but I guess it'll be a while before there's any DVD available if they want to get it distributed at festivals.

Great to see them all together: if only they could work together again.

Debserin
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
omfg. PLEASE, a proper reunion.

Jezebelle
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Ooo I want to see that! :)

Simon
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow thank you !
It looks amazing !

edit : and the outfit of Melissa on this picture is amazing I love it !

MikeEP
03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
^ i agree, i love Melissa's look.

here's a video of the video of the Q&A from last night too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IgMz2vIR1E

it definitely looks like Eric and Courtney are standing as far apart as possible. ;) the tension is actually kind of cute when they're asked about what's next for them around 7:45 in the video.

JonBcn
03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
That clip makes me very happy. I'm glad Eric hasn't lost his sense of humour, though it's clear that the issues between him and Courtney are the only barrier to them all working together again. I wish Courtney would realise how golden their partnership was.

MikeEP
03-30-2011, 12:37 AM
^ i agree...i thought Eric's response was very funny.

part of me thinks they wouldn't have all agreed to show up there and take pictures and do a Q&A together if there wasn't some willingness to talk about some sort of reunion, but i really do think Courtney fucked it up by releasing Nobody's Daughter as Hole. America's Sweetheart has more to do with Hole with all of Patty's songwriting credits than that album does. now even doing a greatest hits would be weird.

JHV
03-30-2011, 01:30 AM
part of me thinks they wouldn't have all agreed to show up there and take pictures and do a Q&A together if there wasn't some willingness to talk about some sort of reunion, but i really do think Courtney fucked it up by releasing Nobody's Daughter as Hole. America's Sweetheart has more to do with Hole with all of Patty's songwriting credits than that album does. now even doing a greatest hits would be weird.

I don't know, I think it's also likely that the group wanted to come together to support their friend and get some publicity for her project. And if you don't want to believe in the nice take on things, there's also the thought that neither Courtney or Eric would want to not show up because of the other person and let them "win".

I agree that Courtney fucked up chances of a real reunion by releasing Nobody's Daughter as Hole, and that also killed the chance of a greatest hits. If we didn't already have My Body The Hand Grenade, I'd think there could be a rarities compilation, but that well is probably dry. I think the only chance at a Hole reunion now would happen if Courtney had a battle with Micko, kicked him out of the band, and swore off all the Nobody's Daughter material like she did with America's Sweetheart, but that's not going to happen.

MikeEP
03-30-2011, 03:43 AM
^ yeah, i think it's very unlikely..i don't even know if Micko is still around at this point though. it's sad but i really can't imagine Courtney doing another album after how long it took to get Nobody's Daughter out.

from the Spin article (http://www.spin.com/articles/classic-hole-lineup-reunite-film-premiere) about the screening:

"There's been a lot of discussion about a [proper reunion] and I can't say whether it will happen [in the future]," said Schemel, who quit the band during the recording of 1997's Celebrity Skin after producer Michael Beinhorn brought in a session drummer to perform some of her parts. "But I love my old band and it's always been fun to make music with them."

Erlandson, still disgruntled by Love's use of the Hole moniker for last year's Nobody's Daughter, said, "We're still not seeing eye to eye and nothing has been resolved. But I'm open to all possibilities." Schemel sided with Erlandson: "Hole is the sound of Eric's guitar with Courtney singing." Auf der Maur, who left the band in 1999, was less ambiguous about any future involvement: "It hasn't crossed my mind."

Arriving 30 minutes after the screening was scheduled to begin, a modestly-coiffed and mildly grumpy Love put any rumors to rest. "There haven't been rumblings -- you're making that up!" she scolded reporters.

this made me laugh too, from the Q&A:

at one point, Love turned to Schemel to ask if being kicked off Celebrity Skin would really be that big of a deal now that she's more mature and sober. "Would you have gotten so windbreaker-y?" Love asked, referring to Schemel's wardrobe choices while homeless.

JonBcn
04-30-2011, 07:53 AM
So, Courtney's back on Twitter, and last night carpet-bombed Melissa with messages. She seemed to be suggesting that they could all work together again as long as Micko was involved, and said it couldn't be about cash, that they'd have to find a kick-ass drummer, and that religion is what stops her and Eric reconciling (different strands of Buddhism, apparently). Anyway, then it dissolved into the usual claims that Grohl and Novoselic have embezzled over 4 billion (!) dollars from her. I love her like a mad, dear aunt, but god she must be a nightmare to work with.

Baltic
04-30-2011, 08:04 AM
haha. i wish i cared about twitter enough just to get her messages!

JonBcn
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
It takes some dedication! You have to sift through about 350 messages of stream of consciousness that comes at a rate of 20 per minute, and then decode the relevant ones. It's like cracking the enigma code sometimes. Every couple of weeks she goes a step too far, closes her Twitter account accordingly and disappears for a month or so. Then reappears and it all starts again.

clarion
04-30-2011, 11:44 AM
She also posted on facebook recently about re-releasing Nobody's Daughter. Apparently she's working on a video for one of the songs or something.

;l

Simon
04-30-2011, 02:29 PM
I hope it's the title track

MikeEP
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
yeah i don't follow her on twitter because she just completely floods my twitter feed and i'm not at all interested in the rants about her stolen $$$, but i did just start following her on iTunes Ping, which is pretty interesting because she's posted a few playlists of her own and commented on a bunch of different songs...she's always had incredible music taste so it's awesome to have her sharing stuff like that.

Volta
05-01-2011, 01:54 AM
What is her username on twitter? I don't mind her flooding my twitter feed, because I find her interesting. And almost everyone I follow floods my feed, anyway with re-tweets. Real Housewives and celebrities with reality shows are the worst. I think the artist that floods my twitter the most is Kelly Price. She re-tweets everything.
I stopped following every Kardashian besides Kim because they really, really flood your feed; they repost things from their fan-twitter pages, hourly. Khloe and Lamar are the worst. The other reality stars I follow usually only flood me before and after their show has aired... not the Kardashians, besides Kim.

JonBcn
05-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Her latest incarnation is roseofsharon666

Volta
05-02-2011, 12:04 AM
ok.. maybe I won't follow her after all.

howieD
05-26-2011, 03:55 AM
http://www.thefix.com/content/courtney-love-interview?page=all

wow. egads. wowwwwww.

pb
05-26-2011, 05:46 AM
I’ve never been good with numbers, but when I was on crack I could do math really, really well. I became a fucking whiz at calculus. But I also became kind of psychotic, unfortunately. Oh, Courtney.
Part Two. (http://www.thefix.com/content/courtney-intro)

JonBcn
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
This is the kind of sentence you can only read in an interview with Courtney Love:

...one night they wheeled in two African-American hermaphrodites on a gurney with their faces smeared with feces, who were both talking to Satan.

Amazing.

Debserin
05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
She's so disappointing sometimes. Constantly maintaining that she's been 'clean and sober' for years now but then saying that she had some coke at an art gallery recently, ugh. I want the lucid, pretty, productive Courtney of 1999 back.

MikeEP
05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
she was posting a ton of pictures on twitter and tumblr yesterday on twitter from what is supposedly the video shoot for "Samantha":

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm0s62kd181qce5r6o1_500.jpg

http://whatcourtneyworetoday.com/

...better late than never i suppose?

Faust
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I guess so. I did really want it as a legitimate single though, so I'm happy it's happening at all.

JonBcn
06-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Ooh! Here's hoping for some new b-sides.

MikeEP
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
^ yeah i won't get my hopes up but it would be really cool if they did a Samantha EP, even if it was just on iTunes.

JHV
06-02-2011, 03:06 AM
^ A Samantha EP would be great. I'd love to get the pop version of Dirty Girls, Sunset Marquis, a studio version of Pretty Your Whole Life and/or Amen. I'm glad we're getting a video, but I don't see the point unless the album is getting re-released since I can't see it boosting sales to anyone who hasn't already bought the album.

Courtney now has a semi-regular column over at XOJane (http://www.xojane.com/fun/courtneys-diary-istanbul-edition), Jane Pratt's new site. This entry talks about her trip to Istanbul, a trip to Milan with Jane years ago, and a bunch of other stuff. It's ike reading an edited version of her twitter, minus the fraud rambling.

MikeEP
06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
so Courtney tweeted something about performing Letter to God and Under My Thumb with an orchestra in Venice..here's a short clip of them rehearsing Letter to God. she was asking if any other videos have popped up on twitter because she said she saw tons of cameras while she was performing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJiKtf4sZd0&feature=channel_video_title

Jake
06-06-2011, 01:26 AM
With a mic and some polishing, that could be a great performance!

Faust
06-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Agreed, although that key choice is heinous.

Volta
06-06-2011, 07:30 AM
When all else goes wrong.. just bring in some strings.

MikeEP
06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
courtney-love.org posted the following setlist from that Istancool festival in Turkey:

* Take This Longing
* Under My Thumb
* Amen
* Pretty Your Whole Life
* Redwire
* View From A Broom
* Visions Of Joanna
* Malibu
* Someones Else's Bed
* Pacific Coast Highway
* Letter To God
* You Said Something

Under My Thumb, Take This Longing, Visions and You Said Something are all covers but i have no clue what View From a Broom and Redwire are. Pretty sure that's one of the only times Amen has been performed too.

Jake
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
You Said Something = PJ Harvey cover?!

MikeEP
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
^ supposedly!

toriMODE
06-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that's correct, since she's always been a fan of Polly Jean.

JHV
06-09-2011, 02:02 AM
That's a crazy setlist. There had better be a bootleg or at least some youtube videos! I especially want to see Amen, You Said Something, and Visions of Johanna. I'm intrigued by the unknown songs as well. If Courtney's playing newly written unreleased stuff, it bodes well for a new album at some point soon.

Courtney also posted a video of her rehearsing Under My Thumb with the symphony here (http://whatcourtneyworetoday.com/post/6337055785). It sounds decent, but doesn't have enough energy for my liking.

Simon
06-09-2011, 02:13 AM
wow that's really weird !
I hopw we'll something from this set :)

AshaBlack
06-09-2011, 12:26 PM
what an odd set list!!!
pretty cool she did a cover of You Said Something :)

MikeEP
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
^ i know! i wouldn't even believe the setlist was real if it wasn't posted by courtney-love.org - that site tends to be very reliable with information.

JHV
06-10-2011, 03:38 AM
A clip of Courtney and Micko rehearsing Amen before the New Year's Eve show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonMJDe3BHc&feature=channel_video_title

From what I can hear, it sounds like it'd be good in finished form. The guitar part sounds reminiscent of something else though I can't put my finger on what exactly.

Here's low-quality video of Courtney's performance of Under My Thumb from the last show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkjcLxd1EQM&feature=youtu.be&a

It sounds like she needs some more rehearsal time on that one, it feels oddly tuneless and you can barely hear the strings. Hopefully the rest of the show surfaces and is better.

Also, it looks like Courtney's deleted her twitter (@roseofsharon666) again.

MikeEP
06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
pretty cool shots from the set of the "Samantha" video:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/mikeyp916/tumblr_lmp5jrTf0e1qce5r6o1_500.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/mikeyp916/tumblr_lmp5kcOdjB1qce5r6o1_500.jpg

Baltic
06-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Oh WOW. Those are beautiful!!!! I hope a new version of the song was recorded for it, though.

AshaBlack
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
i dont like samantha that much

JonBcn
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm tired of it now, but it's her best chance of a hit.

BananaFish
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I like the 'through villages of ether' etc parts. I'm not that keen on the 'people like you fuck people like me' parts, which I only realised recently were Tracy Emin references. But yeah, I know they're her favourite bits as she, and not Billy Corgan, wrote them, but this song would have done so much better in the 90s.

JonBcn
07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
So there was a screening of the Hit So Hard doc last night, and Patty and Eric performed songs afterwards.

Here's Sia doing vocals on 'Miss World':

http://youtu.be/MOlo41jbXig

and Linda Perry singing 'Violet'

http://youtu.be/H_Pz0KeoQJo

JHV
07-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I liked Linda's cover, even though she messed up the lyrics. It felt like she was going for a mix of Courtney and Patti Smith in her mannerisms and singing. Sia's vocals were too low on her video for me to really judge her performance, but it seemed a little too low energy.

Odd to not be hearing much from Courtney lately, she seems to be off the internet for the most part. Which is probably for the best, since she always gets herself into stupid trouble that way. I do want to know what's up with this Samantha video though.

ETA: She did just go to the premiere of the documentary Tabloid, and looked good aside from her oddly bruised elbows. The Daily Mail has pics and info about her relationship/break-up with Henry Allsopp here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2013741/Had-accident-Courtney-Ms-Love-slips-sophisticated-black-gown--sports-odd-purple-elbows.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Courtney's also playing a show in Moscow next Saturday, so there may be some new performance videos coming soon too. Hopefully if she does a crazy set like that Istanbul show, there'll be people taping.

MikeEP
07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
from the Moscow this weekend.

a ferocious "Plump":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP14DXbLIg4&feature=channel_video_title

"Skinny Little Bitch" sounding pretty great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRXQxaDj7M

looks like this same youtube user has the whole show here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/psinkapsy

Jake
07-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Wow, she looks AND sounds great! Just makes me want a new album or something. Any update on the Samantha video?

Simon
07-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow , she looks so good ! :)

JHV
07-25-2011, 12:06 AM
I have to concur with everyone's comments that Courtney looked great at the show.

She also played Amen, which was taped for the first time. I like it, but it doesn't feel fully formed. I'm hoping that pigeon/socialism bit was just an improv and not the real lines too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUKygdc69p0&feature=channel_video_title

I'm hoping that if the band is continuing to work on new songs that we'll be getting a Nobody's Daughter re-release or a Samantha EP or something new to go with the video. Maybe we'll get something around the time of the Australian dates at the end of September/start of October? There'd have to be an announcement in the next week or so for that to happen though.

lettyt
07-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Damn, she looks fabulous and sounds amazing. I hope, hope, hope, hope for a new album.

clarion
07-25-2011, 05:38 AM
"This is new. We've never done this live before."

Really? Because that was basically a bad rewrite of "Turpentine" with a little "Burn Black" thrown in.

Jake
07-25-2011, 06:26 AM
I can see Amen being a pretty good song if it's flushed out and her vocals are polished up!

JHV
08-22-2011, 02:49 AM
The Australian Soundwave Revolution festival tour that Hole was supposed to play for 5 shows in September/October has been cancelled. Apparently Courtney and Co. will be playing the 2012 Soundwave festival (http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/29688/Bands-confirmed-for-Soundwave-2012) in February/March though so there are still a few Hole shows to look forward to.

uskidsknow
08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd love another new album. With some better/different production and track choices Nobody's Daughter can be/is an A+ album, IMO

MikeEP
08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
^ i'd agree..i don't know if it's the production or the mixing or the way it was compressed for the digital version but it sounds so thin and tinny. it's even more apparent when you play it next to Live Through This where the instruments sound so full and textured and rich.

MikeEP
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
i love Courtney's hair in these new pics:

http://www.courtney-love.org/gallery/courtney/appearances/2011/courtney-love-booktract-ipad-app-launch-20110824_01.jpg

http://www.courtney-love.org/gallery/courtney/appearances/2011/courtney-love-booktract-ipad-app-launch-20110824_04.jpg

more here: http://www.courtney-love.org/booktract-ipad-app-launch

Simon
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh shit ! She looks SO good in thos pictures !

toriMODE
08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah she looks great!

Andyland
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Reminds me of Robyn in those shots.

Gale
08-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Wow, looking good Courtney!

Debserin
08-25-2011, 06:21 PM
She still has amazing, beautiful eyes. She looks like Celebrity Skin era in those pics.

Cairn
08-28-2011, 11:58 AM
You know who else is looking INSANELY gorgeous these days?
http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/frances-bean-rocky-4.jpg

I'm in awe of the drop-dead beauty she has grown into. Her last photo shoot three years ago hinted she'd be a stunner but I'm still blown away. There are a few more pictures here. (http://icydk.com/2011/08/25/new-frances-bean-cobain-photo-shoot/)

Debserin
08-30-2011, 08:29 PM
wow, wow, wow!

Cairn
08-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Incredible, right? [post28]

hex object
08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Definitely getting a Laura Palmer/Evan Rachel Wood vibe from those shots. She is really gorgeous.

Andyland
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm getting a "Don't Tell Mom, The Babysitter's Dead" vibe

MikeEP
09-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Courtney played a show at Hiro Ballroom last night for the fashion agency One Management's tenth anniversary.

here's Violet & half of Malibu (she gets excited in between songs when someone yells out a request for Drown Soda, and then later Burn Black)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT9LzyOuspQ

this shows the end of Skinny Little Bitch, followed by Courtney talking about how gorgeous Frances looks in those photos from last week, and then Celebrity Skin. she then says they're going to play something "quiet and new" but the video cuts off. i'm guessing it was Amen though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndYurARaM4

Cairn
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks!

Debserin
09-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Video for Samantha! Quite epic actually!

http://musiknow.posterous.com/hole-samantha-official-video

uskidsknow
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I wonder where they filmed that? very cool!

JonBcn
09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
That video has quite literally made my day, thanks!

JHV
09-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm really happy that Courtney finally managed to get a video made for this album! It's probably too late to have any real benefit, but it's good to get a real Hole video again as opposed to the joke Skinny Little Bitch video or a live video. Courtney looks great, and the video is beautifully filmed. The setting is very cool as well.

That being said, I wish more had actually happened in the video. Samantha is a song that would've lent itself well to something a bit more action-packed or at least a video with characters beyond Courtney. I'm surprised we didn't see the band at all as well, I would've figured at least Micko would've made a cameo.

The Village Voice has a positive review of the show last night here (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2011/09/courtney_love_hiro_ballroom_september_6_review.php). They also have the full setlist, which was:

Sympathy For The Devil
Skinny Little Bitch
Celebrity Skin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndYurARaM4)
For Once In Your Life
Violet
Malibu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT9LzyOuspQ)
Codeine
Under My Thumb
Never Go Hungry Again
Miss World
Honey
Northern Star

Debserin
09-07-2011, 10:47 PM
^They could've used the burnt out buses as well, would've been cool to see her in one as opposed to just running endlessly. :p

Jake
09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
What a kick ass video, aesthetic is perfect! I really hope they push this more...an EP would be amazing.

Bruce
09-07-2011, 10:51 PM
That video was great, and felt very classic Courtney Love to me. I was a little surprised to see her running at such length though, considering she's probably down to a half a lung at this point! ;l It's crazy to think that even Courtney Love in her chronic state of disrepair is capable of pulling out an exponentially better video that any of the drivel Tori has been spewing out since TBK.

MikeEP
09-08-2011, 02:33 AM
I liked that video a lot too, it's a shame it's so late though I agree that doing an EP would be a great way to go about reviving interest. I'm sure they have at least 2 or 3 good tracks leftover from recording the album.

paper tiger
09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Frances is gorgeous! I was really impressed with the photos she did with Hedi Slimane. Looks like she's got quite a few tats. Her attitude / poses remind me of old Courtney photos.

http://hedislimane.com/rockdiary/index.php?e=viewSpe&rockdiarySpeHomeNo=57

http://www.hedislimane.com/admin/rockdiary/upload/pic/Frances_07_050.jpg

BananaFish
09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks to Desberin for posting the link to the video. Looks like it was a Tracy Emin inspired video as well as song. I really liked it, and I like the fact that she was alone, it added to the apocalyptic feeling. Although wasn't she in a wedding dress in the video for Mono? I don't really get the obsession with wedding dresses.

AshaBlack
09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
LOL WTF? Courtney Love Fills In For Vince Neil At Show

http://perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/courtney-love-fills-in-for-vince-neil__oPt.jpg

Random??

Courtney Love filled in for Vince Neil at a launch event for New York Fashion Week.

The Motley Crue frontman lost his voice and fell sick so Courtney and her band Hole stepped in to perform at the One Model Management 10th anniversary party at the Hiro Ballroom.

During the set, Courtney dedicated the song Skinny Little Bitch to her "fucking only child" saying that she was "glad that she didn't get that nose job."

Oh, that should make Frances Bean proud, Court. We're sure she just LOVES it when her mom talks about her personal life to a crowd of people.

Courtney Love - Keepin' it classy as always.

perezhilton.com

Baltic
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
IT's not like she filled in for him, her band did. She performed with her band, not with Motley Crue. Holy.

MikeEP
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
the Village Voice posted a review of that show at Hiro and Courtney responded in the Comments section with a rant criticizing the sexism of writing so much about her physical appearance:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2011/09/courtney_love_hiro_ballroom_september_6_review.php

scott played drums and was good, i recieved ZERO appearance fee, i did it as a favor, to nur who is my friend, based on a panicked 6 am call, Micko had literally gotten off the plane Heathrow to JFK and Shawn too LAX to JFK, literally, scotts drumming was really really good or id have booted him. Im curious why you think i "borrowed" an audience? Last month we headlined 120,000 people in Moscow, and Eric has been called for the last 3 months since i spoke to an old manager im very fond of who definitively was aggresively anti "reunion" a word and concept i LOATHE and refuse to participate in, btw fuck how i "look" as co author of every song but the 2 covers and "Codine " ( not Codeine, its by Buffy St Marie and Blues are super treachoruous for white people , to look like ass bar bands, but i have CERTAINLY earned the right to sing them) as far as "cellulite" 1, i dont actually have it, 2. why mention it, 3 the only time i have ever seen cellulite mentioned in a live review which this is not, this is a cynical and quite sexist assesment of my motivation for helping a friend, end of,. Nothing Cynical in it, i had fun, i didnt put my guts into it, we didnt have time, and thew audience was a little cool, so? i dont do my job for audience love, otherwise id have chosen a genre i loathe unless im subverting it as a vocation : pop. ha ha, me the pop star! this isnt a review nor should it be, so why write anything ? yoru justbeing cynical , second guessing things you really know fuck all about ( ok so i was told Deleon Tequila were paying for Mickos flight, and if eric is actually ever going to be in a room which hes sure being passive agressive about then i need micko,. because micko has zero guile and mostly is the most talented rythym guitar player and co writer i have ever had the honour to have ) cellulite? hmmm,. yes i recall it now, it was a scree, a sf examiner, unreal surreal assesment of my body, my face, my "ugly hagged out crackhead looking chick band" and my "cellulite" from 05 , fillmore, i was gobsmacked, id never even heard of a "review " where a womans physical appearance was judged such in an extreme negativity and the music she played was not actually mentioned, excepting to say; if i recall " Courtney Love is a Horse, i dont mean her voice is hoarse i mean she should be sent to the glue factory" wow. i mean it was wow i should ? do what with this, the above is a far cry ( gee i got fat at that time how DARE i!!!! far better to be on drugs,! and i dont believe that as you did not repeat i asked for "HALF" a glass of wine, because i am TEMPERENT that means i don't abuse narcotics in any way . nor do i drink spirits, i don't like them, HALF a glass of red wine is fine by me and should be fine by anyone who isn't some aa nazi, which ive been out of necessity to kick drug habits of the past way back in 2004! yep thats when they were kicked, and were in what? fall 2011, and your first paragraph discusses my face and my ravages, and my SKIN? Am i now a model? did i ever claim to be a world class beauty? ive never depended on my looks and thank GOD for that because at 47 i only feel i look better and better the higher my self esteem and the more abundant my discipline, you never finished the "ravages of my addictions" either, you semi lead us . the readers and unfortunate subject who occasionally googles self , never fun but never a dull moment, into some comment on my drug ravages and a blurry comment on cellulite or not! what ravages? i dont have them im extraordianrily lucky, that way, my genetics didnt give me much in terms of family, in fact im stuck with sociopaths and psychopaths ( in my bio father, thats what several high end bythat i mean GOOD psychiatrists analysing his behaviour have informed me from giving me a 3 year old LSD to paying my 14 year old friend to have sex with him, to being this crazed person we all ignore with his kurt-was-murdered- vocal minority army, shame shame shame but id ont know the guy however, possibly im sure, actually id di obtain a sort of rude health from him, good spleen, liver, lungs, theyd better be with my smoking habit!) listen i dont have much time for your crappy writing, as im off to see the self proclaimed "most powerful man in the republican party" hmmm.... but next time you put fingers to keypad you might want to pick up a copy of the NYT "elements of style" classic, as im no professional writer, but you mustve been paid ( more than i was last night, "appearance fee" sorry, not last night, it was favourbank and fun) for the above and its mediocre, misleading and crappy , really, i write like crap, but i really am quite intellegent and i really do appreciate a good whacky peice of Pynchon, and your not even at split infinitives, big qiestion, did you see cellulite or not? where are my ravages? they are of my spirit you fool. and if you cannot ask yourself why then go rock out to the foo fighters.
courtney love cobain

MikeEP
09-13-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMmfKIgSjc

does anyone have the boot of this show they could share? i used to have it but can't seem to find it now. i remember it had But Julian, All the Drugs, 20 Years in the Dakota and i think Malibu?

JonBcn
09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
^ I'm pretty sure I have, unless they're on some long dead old computer...

MikeEP
09-14-2011, 12:30 AM
^ thanks! and turns out she also played Asking For It.

Courtney was, of course, spotted a few times during Fashion Week. love the gloves. there's a bunch more on the courtney-love.org gallery:

http://www.courtney-love.org/gallery/courtney/appearances/2011/courtney-love-alexander-wang-fashion-show-20110910_07.jpg

http://www.courtney-love.org/gallery/courtney/appearances/2011/courtney-love-alexander-wang-fashion-show-20110910_05.jpg
http://www.courtney-love.org/gallery/courtney/appearances/2011/courtney-love-time-capsule-preview-20110912_05.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrg4aacQOx1qcxdrlo1_500.jpg

MikeEP
09-14-2011, 12:19 PM
also, Courtney's now http://twitter.com/Courtney on Twitter

JonBcn
09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
^ Ooh, thanks for that! I hope she manages to stay on for a while before libelling anyone and shutting her account down this time...Twitter is a better place with Courtney on it.

MikeEP
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
^ she was actually tweeting as @CBabymichelle for a while too. mostly the same old financial conspiracy stuff, but in addition to the mentions she made of Eric in that Village Voice rant, which are pretty incoherent but suggest the idea of the two of them being in the same room together again and being against using the "r" word (reunion), she sent a few tweets to Melissa's account on Labor Day (i've added some punctuation and focused on the Hole-related stuff ;)):

doll, eric is real into lots of attention and pouting. i have truly reached out to him, by the way he has 37 guitars of me and KC's.

doll, when are you here? Coachella is getting booked if you're on board. let's discuss.

eric needs to clean slate with possessions. my lawyers are getting crazy. i know he'll do the right thing, he needs to just get that part out of the way.

and this "busy"? fuck it. it's now or, at 47, truly it really is never, ever. so much to organize, a lot. no assistant to do so, and my possessions returned. i think he's hung up on suing me. i couldn't give a fuck, im generous to a fault which we know, so he took advantage of it. i let it go.

hey lady, you're local, i'm local. get down here. this busy shit is nuts. I'M busy. australia brazil etc. now... or never is totally fine with me.

so come soon yes? by soon i mean this week. i got Keith Richards home studio but it won't wait forever for a pout. one doesn't keep one's chops up? rust.

then last week, she responded to someone who asked about Eric and said:

it's just passive aggressive. he says he'll be here next week, look if he's all about pouting fuck it i'm not even going there.

and then interestingly enough, just yesterday, Eric tweeted "NYC makes me lose my mind."

i think the odds of them, particularly Courtney and Eric, being able to work together for any extended period of time are clearly, even from the above, pretty unlikely but i can't help but get my hopes up a little especially after seeing them all together at that screening of Patty's documentary.

JonBcn
09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that! I feel the same way, it's a dream, but will probably never happen. I think she's right that it's now or never, and I hope Eric doesn't later regret not plumping for it. But I can totally understand his reluctance, especially if he's being forced to collaborate with her current band. I like to think that in all these years off he's been sitting around diligently preparing great riffs to put to good use...

MikeEP
09-20-2011, 01:34 AM
came across this amazing performance from 1993 i'd never seen before. pre-Live Through This with Kristen Pfaff on bass and includes early versions of a bunch of those songs. this YouTube user uploaded almost the entire show (the last two songs are missing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykiaG_H9-0o&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9AFCF5AE3019452F

JHV
09-20-2011, 02:01 AM
^That's some great classic footage. I loved Courtney throwing the black wig she had into the crowd during Credit In The Straight World. Thanks for sharing!

JonBcn
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
God they were so good back then. Hole remain easily the most exciting live band I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing, I've had the bootleg of this since shortly afterwards, but never seen the footage.

AshaBlack
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I was listening to the original recordings of the Nobody's Daughter sessions today and I still love them. I think Pacific Coast Highway, For Once In Your Life and Happy Ending Story are amazing and beautiful. I think they got ruined a lot when re-worked the Nobody's Daughter album under the name Hole. I kinda hoped she'd stuck to the original sound. It suited the songs a lot more. The on;y thing I love from the official album release that came out is Nobody's Daughter, the title track. The updated version is a lot better than the original demo but PCH and FOIYL got totally destroyed.

I would have loved to have heard how Honey sounded originally.

MikeEP
09-22-2011, 04:01 AM
another great video, i've been listening to this boot from Glastonbury '99 a ton this week. i remember reading an interview with Eric where he said that show was a highlight of Hole's entire run and their "last big blowout" of a show. this is both She Walks On Me and the part of Good Sister/Bad Sister they did on this tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO9DxmLPncU

if anyone wants the boot, let me know..it's a great setlist.

JHV
09-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Courtney is writing a memoir (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44719832#.ToVkzs23N2I) due out next year. I'm a little disappointed she's using a co-writer, even if I'm sure it'll make for a much more coherent and focused read. I like my Courtney (relatively) unfiltered.

I wonder what her advance is. I remember her saying she would only write a memoir if she got tens of millions, and obviously that's not happening. Wonder if she's back to being strapped for cash.

Debserin
09-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Back in 2005 (I think that's when) she was offered to do a memoir and she was going to do it. She said something like: "Every nasty little secret is going to come vomitting out of the woodwork".

Simon
10-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Short film for Vanity Fair
http://www.vanityfair.com/video/2011/10/1200366901001
And there's photos coming in the next issue of VF
:D
She looks beautiful in this video

MikeEP
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
^ she looks great but the accompanying article is really unflattering. It's basically a grand dismissal of her as anything but the tabloid persona of Kurt Cobain's crazy, money-hungry widow. She needs to stop talking to press when she has nothing new to talk about.