PDA

View Full Version : Which doll has the best songs?

liquid_running
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Clyde is probably the weakest performer, but I relate to her songs best. Conversely, Pip's performances are brilliant but the actual songs are somewhat lacking.

arsonist samael
09-20-2010, 08:09 PM
I have absolutely no idea who sings which song. I don't really care, nor do I think it really matters, anyway.

toriMODE
09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Before I saw my two 2007 shows, I wanted Pip and Clyde. I got Santa and Isabel. LOL

JHV
09-21-2010, 01:24 AM
On the album: Clyde > Santa > Pip > Isabel

Live: Pip > Santa > Isabel > Clyde

RisingPhoenix
09-21-2010, 01:26 AM
I think tori had the best songs. Big wheel, code red, father's son.

Faust
09-21-2010, 02:11 AM
On the record, I feel like all of them hit some major bullets, but that Clyde is probably the most consistent. Live, Santa was high and away the best.

toriMODE
09-21-2010, 02:28 AM
I voted for Clyde.

other pete
09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
I see we have a landsclyde. My favourite songs are fairly evenly spread though, each doll has 1 or 2 I love, 1 or 2 OKs, and 1 or 2 usually skipped.

Simon
09-23-2010, 02:04 AM
i voted tori because Code Red is my favorite song of the record and Father's son is great
ADP is really her worst album in my opnion i don't feel anything for any of the songs their , and seperate them is even worse , i find myslef hating at least 2 of them for each 'doll'

Scottish Mike
09-23-2010, 02:25 AM
I preferred Pip and Isabel for the non-ADP songs 'they' performed at shows, but I'm ambivalent towards their ADP songs.

Octopussy
09-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Clyde, because Bouncing Off Clouds and Beauty Of Speed are THE classic songs from this album. Girl Disappearing and Roosterspur Bridge (and Miracle!!) are pretty great too.

but live? Clyde was the least interesting, by far. Not that there weren't great performances, it's just that her character never really developed. For live performance, Isabel was my personal favorite and definitely the most improved (thanks to rummaging through the back catalog)... followed closely by Santa, the most lively and fun. Pip was ridiculous most of the time, IMO, I can't listen to those bootlegs at all anymore.

JHV
09-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Clyde was the one doll I didn't get to see live, but judging from the boots and videos, her performance was just lacking in intensity compared to the other 3. Which is odd, since songs like Juarez and Little Earthquakes are plenty intense, but the set just never came together like the others did. It also didn't help that the other dolls got amazing songs like Raspberry Swirl, Cruel, She's Your Cocaine, Sweet Sangria, and Scarlet's Walk added to their sets while Clyde got Mary and Upside Down (which I love, but it's awful in band form).

SageBrushFire
09-23-2010, 03:54 AM
This was super hard because each doll only had 1 brilliant song for me, except Tori. I really liked Code Red and Digital Ghost. The fact that someone tacked on Drive All Night sealed the deal for me.

Tour wise it was definitely Pip and Clyde.

waitressboy
09-23-2010, 04:00 AM
The problem with Pip is that she has only two "full" songs: Teenage Hustling and Smokey Joe. Fat Slut (puaj) and Velvet Revolution are like little intermissions, so I don't even consider them songs. And Body and Soul is with Santa, so... It's a pity, because the best Legs And Boots are the ones with Pip, even with all that speech in Cruel.
So I went with Clyde, though I hate her wig.

SageBrushFire
09-23-2010, 04:06 AM
The problem with Pip is that she has only two "full" songs: Teenage Hustling and Smokey Joe. Fat Slut (puaj) and Velvet Revolution are like little intermissions, so I don't even consider them songs. And Body and Soul is with Santa, so... It's a pity, because the best Legs And Boots are the ones with Pip, even with all that speech in Cruel.

YES! That is what bothered me about Pip on the album, she hardly has any actual songs. I don't even buy the Body & Soul duet. I think Tori only wrote 2 actual songs for Pip and was like "Damn this just looks funny, let's have Santa share this one."

Santa, on the other hand, was obviously her favorite doll. Not only did she have the most songs of any doll (Tori mention DAN was Santa so that's +1) but Tori actually said in an interview somewhere that she was having ridiculous amounts of fun Playing Santa. (I still hate the name though ...)

JHV
09-23-2010, 05:14 AM

I understand what you mean about Pip having few songs, but it's worth noting that Velvet Revolution is the best and most thought-out interlude on the album. The rest feel like filler, but I think Velvet Revolution is a full statement while still working well as a lead-in to Dark Side of the Sun.

YES! That is what bothered me about Pip on the album, she hardly has any actual songs. I don't even buy the Body & Soul duet. I think Tori only wrote 2 actual songs for Pip and was like "Damn this just looks funny, let's have Santa share this one."

Eh, I think Body and Soul is a song evenly split between the aggression in the music and the (attempted) sexiness/sensual nature of the lyric, which lines it up as being divided between Pip and Santa. Making it a duet adds a bit more shade to each character, and since Tori had 2 dolls on other songs (Bouncing has backing vocals by Santa, Code Red has backing vocals by Pip) I don't think it was a one-off after-thought to beef up Pip. Pip and Santa were the most closely linked out of the dolls too, with both performing Cruel, so I think they may have been intended to be closer together until the tour shifted things and Pip went nuts.

liquid_running
09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I think the only reason "Fat Slut" was even added to the album was to give Pip one more track, albeit an interlude. (I still can't work out why she put "Posse Bonus" on, though.)

Faust
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
"Posse Bonus" doesn't make much sense as an A-side or track on the standard edition. I'm not sure why she added those last three tracks to the standard version at the last minute.

Dan
09-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Barbie.

Octopussy
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Barbie.

Christie.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71M19XVCJ7L.gif

Alejandro
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Tori Best
Pip Worst (Body & Soul and Teenage Hustling are two of my least favorite ADP tracks)

Zippo
09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Who was best on the album:

1. Clyde
2. Tori
3. Santa
4. Isabel
5. Pip

Who was best on tour:

1. Pip
2. Tori
3. Santa
4. Isabel
5. Clyde

Father Lucifer
10-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Almost chose Santa but I love the energy that Pip brought to the album and shows. I'm not sure why I love Teenage Hustling and Body and Soul so much but it was so refreshing (not to mention trashy) after the pretty delicacy that is The Beekeeper.

HumptyDumpty
10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I went with Tori because she has my two favs: Code Red and Digital Ghost.

Soda
11-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Clyde or Pip, probably Clyde. Yeah. Clyde.

All of the dolls got a few songs that I liked and a few I didn't, so at least it's even? :P

sparkhotel
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I voted for Clyde, because I think my favourite song on ADP is Roosterspur Bridge, but closely followed by Code Red and Smokey Joe.