PDA

View Full Version : Display problem with 2 mobos

Dave
10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I've been piecing together a computer using parts from 3 different computers so I can sell it to a friend of mine (for very cheap) but I'm having a problem having anything display at all on the monitor. Everything else is in order. Two different mobos refuse to display anything! What could the problem be IF the mobo is in working order? I tried just hooking up the HDD and nothing else as far as drives go, but just can't get anything to display. I've tried swapping out the IDE cables, but to no avail :(

edit: I've tried 3 different HDDs, as well, and still nothing. And, to wit, it's not the monitor as I've tried using two different ones and they both work on other computers. I also tried using a GPU as the source but nothing displays from that, either.

SageBrushFire
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Regardless of whether or not a Hard Drive is plugged in, you should see the BIOS screen when you start the computer up.

Do these boards have on-board graphics or actual graphics cards plugged into PCI/AGP/PCIe slots?

Let's go through a checklist of things you must have for the computer to start and display:

1. Motherboard needs the 24 or 20+4 pin power cable AS WELL AS the 4, 8 or 4+4 pin power cable (one is huge, you can't miss it and the smaller one is usually not far away from the Processor).

2. The VGA/DVI/HDMI cable must be plugged into the on-board graphics (Or the video card must be plugged into the appropriate slot and the cable plugged into the video card).

3. You need to have RAM, at least 1 stick and it should optimally be in slot 0 (generally the second closest one to the CPU but that's not like a concrete rule).

4. Obviously you also need the processor properly seated and the 4-pin fan connector must be in place (many mobos will not start if the 4-pin connector is out).

5. You should have a motherboard speaker; usually there is one but when you go taking stuff apart and mixing there's no telling. A board speaker will beep and give you error codes that will help you troubleshoot.

6. You also need to make sure you have a good power supply that works and is sufficient.

Now, that's all you need to be able to turn the computer on and see something (the BIOS screen).

If you get that far you can start connecting Hard Drives and Disc Drives Etc.

Does the light on the monitor blink or change color at all?

Dave
10-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Like I mentioned everything else checks out and everything is connected properly. There is no display, at all (includes the BIOS - no BIOS display). The monitor light blinks green. I was connecting everything on break at work but it's too noisy there, now that I have them home I'll try to see if I can hear some beeps this weekend. The only thing you listed that might not be slotted correctly is the RAM, although that probably isn't the issue.

ej
10-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Have you tried a different cable (or tried the same cable on different machines with the same monitor)?

Dave
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeap, and they worked. Everything works fine when I assemble the orig towers, but when I mix them up they don't. I wouldn't think there's an incompatibility, but maybe there is. I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't put my finger on it. I'll probably work mostly on it this Sunday.

SageBrushFire
10-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Do you have an HDD with an Operating System installed that will auto-login or you don't need to SEE to log in and, if you do, can you do something blindly that you know will make a sound?

I know that sounds bat-shit crazy but what I'm getting at is this: Is this just a display problem or is it a whole motherboard problem? Are they simply not displaying anything graphically or do they actually not even start up at all?

Dave
10-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Starts up, as in everything powers on, just nothing to display.

SageBrushFire
10-17-2010, 05:44 AM
Do you have a graphics card to plug in and test? It would seem odd to have two different mobos have messed up graphics adapters but it's possible.

Dave
10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Yup, as I mentioned in the first post that is one of the things I've already tried.

SageBrushFire
10-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Yup, as I mentioned in the first post that is one of the things I've already tried.

Or sorry I didn't see that last little bit. Got a wide-screen monitor so when the text drags on I sometimes skim.

Okay so this is not just a display problem. If even a graphics card displays nothing then there is something wrong with the motherboard. The fans and lights may be on but it is not functioning if you can't get any display from the on-board OR external GPU.

Do you have a third motherboard you can try out that works with all of the components plugged into this motherboard? That way you could determine if it's the motherboard itself or one of the major components (CPU, RAM or Power Supply).

somAiroTevoLI
10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Try reseting the cmos jumper? The pc may appear to be running, fans, etc, as mentioned, and w/o error beeps, gonna be hard to know. Do you get hard drive activity when powering on(random flashing red light, not solid or steady)?

Dave
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
As I've not really had the time to mess around with it at all this weekend I'll work on this project this next weekend and update this thread. I'm anxious to try a few things. Thanks for the input!