PDA

View Full Version : Mix Club 2010:4

Pete!
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Any interest in a new round of Mix Club? I think everyone enjoys it, but there's always a huge deadline drag and it takes forever to complete a round. What says you, OMA?

ebby
11-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Stuck this for you Pete. Hope thats ok.

I'll get back to you re participating. I think I might but I want to make sure I would have time to really give any decent listening time and feedback. Otherwise its just not fair.

Perky Compson
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd love to do this again. Mix Club is my favorite part of @/unf.

wout
11-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Yay! Count me in!

Partisan
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd very much like to participate.

EnjoyJoy
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
This time, I'm in, no questions asked :)

Pete!
11-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Lovely! Thanks for sticking this, Ebs. I'll give it another week, see how many people we end up with.

Pete!
11-15-2010, 10:04 PM
So-o-o-o. Three swaps? Smallest Mix Club ever! I'd like a couple more takers if possible, but if not we'll just go right ahead if you guys are still interested.

Zach
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
U.

Brian
11-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Boom! I'll do one.

Frasier Crane
11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I'll sign up!

other pete
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Me too! And this time I'll focus on doing it on actual time, instead of spending weeks worrying about which type of chair each song would be or whatever.

erindyan
11-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I'd be interested, but I worry my selections might not be right for the crowd. I don't mean that as an insult to myself, but I do tend to like the likes of Kylie, Nadine, Cheryl Cole and Take That. And I'm not sure that a mix I made would appeal to anyone but me. But if you think there might be someone I'd be up for it (and also not insulted at all if you don't think I'd be a good match for the group).

wout
11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd be interested, but I worry my selections might not be right for the crowd. I don't mean that as an insult to myself, but I do tend to like the likes of Kylie, Nadine, Cheryl Cole and Take That. And I'm not sure that a mix I made would appeal to anyone but me. But if you think there might be someone I'd be up for it (and also not insulted at all if you don't think I'd be a good match for the group).

But different selections of songs are the whole idea, right? At least it is to me! Hell, if I were paired to, for instance, brian I'd send him atomic kitten's greatest hits :p
(well, i wouldn't but you know what I mean...)

erindyan
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Hell, if I were paired to, for instance, brian I'd send him atomic kitten's greatest hits :p
(well, i wouldn't but you know what I mean...)

But the IDEA of you doing that gave me GREAT JOY and a good giggle.

Pete!
11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I want you in Erin. Please play with us!

erindyan
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Well alright then!

Pete!
11-19-2010, 07:00 PM
These are your partners!

O_P and Wout!
Brian and Perky EnjoyJoy!
Kari and EnjoyJoy Perky!
Mancy and Erin!
Me and Josh!

PM each other, swap addresses, make mixes, LET'S GO!

wout
11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Other Pete, excellent!!

other pete
11-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Wouterizer! You love 90s electro yodelling, yah?

Pete!
11-19-2010, 08:54 PM
These are your partners!

O_P and Wout!
Brian and Perky!
Kari and EnjoyJoy!
Mancy and Erin!
Me and Josh!

PM each other, swap addresses, make mixes, LET'S GO!

I forgot that Brian and Perky swapped last time, so I'm going to change these things.

Brian + EnjoyJoy and Kari + Perky, yup?

wout
11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Wouterizer! You love 90s electro yodelling, yah?

Jawohl, affengeil!!!

Perky Compson
11-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Works for me too! :D

Partisan
11-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm really excited about this swap! Every chance I had throughout the past 24 hours I've been assembling songs, organizing a playlist, listening, listening, listening, whipping the sucker into shape. Just finished listening to the final-ish mix and it thrilled my ears. I'm feeling good about it!

Frasier Crane
11-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Yay. I'm going to do a puzzle mix again, but this time with (hopefully) someone who's not a rude ingrate of a "partner". Yes, you, SisterE.

erindyan
11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
I am not a rude ingrate! Yay!

Pete!
11-22-2010, 08:47 PM
My mix for Josh is getting a bit... penis-centric. Like I've accidentally accumulated a few songs about dongs, and now I'm thinking about making it a whole theme. But that might be a bit awful. It's a work in progress.

EnjoyJoy
11-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm trying to do something somewhat special but I'm worried it might come out as pretentious... hmm... already PM'd Brian :)

Partisan
11-23-2010, 06:05 AM
My mix for Josh is getting a bit... penis-centric. Like I've accidentally accumulated a few songs about dongs, and now I'm thinking about making it a whole theme. But that might be a bit awful. It's a work in progress.

Awesome! The only thing better than dongs are dong songs!

EnjoyJoy
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Draft 1 of my mix ready, been trying it out, kinda hard with broken headphones, but I'll get that fixed soon.

Pete!
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
DickMix is going to be a short (but monumental) bonus disc. I can't sensibly drag the dongs out into a cohesive mix, it's terrible.

EnjoyJoy
11-25-2010, 08:18 AM
My mix is (almost) ready, there's this one song that I want to put in, but it doesn't fit anywhere, then I take it out, then I want it in, then I put it back... *sigh*

Pete!
11-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Sigh. DickMix is dead. It was fucking rubbish.

EnjoyJoy
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Mine is (kinda) ready. Pesky song! However, it will either go at the end or not go at all.

wout
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm still kinda stuck in finding the right theme... Right now I'm thinking "Stephenie Meyer's Greatest hits"...

other pete
11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
^ Ahhaha. Ha ha. Ha. Ahhahaha.

erindyan
11-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm still kinda stuck in finding the right theme... Right now I'm thinking "Stephenie Meyer's Greatest hits"...

Those Twilight movies have pretty good soundtracks to be honest. The second two anyway. It might work!

erindyan
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I have chosen a SOUND. But not yet a theme. I do know which bands I am working with now though.

wout
11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
^ Ahhaha. Ha ha. Ha. Ahhahaha.

That settles it, I guess ;)
One serving of emo creatures of horror and teenage angst, coming right up!

Brian
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I have a very early-90s/shoegaze inspired sound going here, but all of stuff that came out this year. But I listen to it and think I'm the only person who'd love it. Heh.

Partisan
12-03-2010, 10:08 AM
With a last minute addition to my mix last night, it's finished. I've been taking photographs for the art all week, and it's almost complete as well. I actually got myself into quite a precarious position taking one of the photographs. I threw my neck quite out of whack, but it was so worth it. Now to print the art, burn the disc, listen through and assemble everything. I'm aiming to send it out a week from today at the very latest. :)

The title of the mix is Digital Sunset. This is the first mix I've made that doesn't have a theme. Lots of motifs and things that pop up repeatedly though. It's quite deathy, but upbeat for the most part. Deathy, synthy, beat heavy and atmospheric.

Pete!
12-04-2010, 09:34 AM
^ Photos! That sounds awesome. I need to up my game. My whole mix is in disarray right now.

I actually had a dream I met you last night, Josh. You were ridiculously tall.

Partisan
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I actually had a dream I met you last night, Josh. You were ridiculously tall.

So, now if you ever do meet me I'll be disappointingly short given your heightened expectations. :p

Brian
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I chuckled.

Perky Compson
12-05-2010, 06:31 PM
My mix for Kari is somewhere between a winter mix and a spring mix, so I think I'll order it so it starts in the cold dark of winter and emerges in happier, stately spring songs. I'm having tons of fun with this!

other pete
12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I keep finding bonus tracks on 90s CD singles that I had completely forgotten about.

Perky Compson
12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Ooh, I could totally use a hot emo mess!

Also that would be an amazing cover.

Perky Compson
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I would put it on my wall. Dead serious. Ever since I first saw those Emoranges, I knew they were destined to end up decorating my room. ;l

I have sixteen songs on mine now and am trying to narrow it down. Already planning the cover art, which will be fun to draw.

wout
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I keep finding bonus tracks on 90s CD singles that I had completely forgotten about.

Everything was better in the 90's. Even my waistline...

I got the tracklist sorted out (it's HIGHlarious with damn good tracks thrown in between). Now on to the artwork!

wout
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Other Pete, I'm going to spoil the cover!!!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/wout77/1.jpg

Pete!
12-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Okay, ended up doing two mixes for Josh. One is a snapshot of where my listening habits are right now, but without any Atari Teenage Riot because I simply couldn't make it fit. The other is an historical document: British guitar bands I listened to between the ages of 11 and 16. There are some fucking phenomenal songs that I expect would have passed anyone by who was not a teenager in the UK and Ireland in the 1990s.

The Brit Mix is definitely called Shitty Mileage. The other is either going to be called All You Have To Do or Contribute To Natural Selection.

EnjoyJoy
12-10-2010, 10:00 PM
My mix is ready. I realized I don't have a title, but I'll come up with something and by Friday next week it will be sent.

wout
12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
My mix is going in the mail this weekend, but our post services have been going on strike on and off for days now, so I hope it won't take too long!

Partisan
12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Pete, your package has been sent!

Pete!
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Exciting! Thank you!

Partisan
12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Exciting! Thank you!

I hope you enjoy it! :)

I had a couple packaging malfunctions when getting your mix ready to mail. I was assembling the CD Friday at the post office with about 10 minutes 'til the window closed, and I'm tenderly trying to pry open the back of my last jewel case to put in the art, and FUCK, the thing breaks!

So, I took a trip to Wal-Mart Friday night intending to get another pack of jewel cases, and they only had colored slim cases. I decided to look through all the cheap ass Christmas CDs and found a copy of Barbie Christmas for $2. My friend gutted it and took the CD and innards for her daughter, so I had another case. I get to the post office on Saturday morning, again with only a little while until it closed, and again I'm gingerly prying the bastard open and SNAP. Thing breaks in my fucking hand again! I'm obviously Lenny from Of Mice and Men. I did end up finding a pack of jewel cases though on Sunday and I made Travis pull one apart for me, that time with no incident.

Pete!
12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh, what stresses! I'm really sorry mine is so late, but it's getting there. The... packaging requires a lot of consideration and time. I feel like such a ninny, and it's really self-indulgent, but hopefully you'll dig it.

Partisan
12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh, what stresses! I'm really sorry mine is so late, but it's getting there. The... packaging requires a lot of consideration and time. I feel like such a ninny, and it's really self-indulgent, but hopefully you'll dig it.

No worries! I don't mind at all :)

EnjoyJoy
12-26-2010, 01:51 PM
My packaging is probably gonna be somewhat lackluster, considering I was in the middle of exams while doing it :(

erindyan
12-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Mine is late as well. Holiday season and all that...

slayer13
01-04-2011, 02:01 AM
OK - back from the dead. also - sorry for semi-jacking the thread

I've got a playlist on itunes that I would like to upload to share with people (like people do with their mixes here). How in the Sam-Fuck do I go about doing that?! Thanks for your help (unless I'm on general ignore, and then, um, booooo.)

-t

Perky Compson
01-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Lyrics time!

1. He couldn't sleep for fear that she, in a stupor from the drugs that didn't ease the pain, would set the house ablaze with a cigarette.
2. At fourteen we got you down on your knees, so polite you're busy still saying please.
3. His hands rolling down her hair, love like lightning shaking until it moans.
4. You're insignificant, a small piece, an ism, no more no less.
5. A hooked bone rising from my food, all things either good or ungood.
6. Jenna says she's tired of music with words.
7. They're dancing on the roof and the ceiling's coming down.
8. Have mercy on me, I hope you're not angry if you disagree.
9. Shadows leave us standing naked, we can't fake it.
10. Take a lesson from the strangeness that you feel, and know that you'll never be the same.
11. I've become invisible, or maybe your arms are just spinning around.
12. From now on it will be you and I are our ribbon in the sky.
13. She's just one more rag now he's dragging behind him.
14. Your lungs are mourning, tee pee style, for all the still-born love that could have happened.
15. You shine like the steel on my knife.
16. [instrumental]
17. One relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life to get the feel of life.

Partisan
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Pete, has mine arrived yet? Starting to worry. I sent it December 20.

CaptLCalico
01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
May I join in? I love making mixes for people and would love to make some for you guys!

Perky Compson
01-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I fail at life.

I will get your mix out this week, Perky, I promise!!

That's alright! I probably won't mail yours until Friday, I have to finish the art. :\ I fail too!

Brian
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
We all do! I was working 65 hours a week until last week, then got the flu, and then my dog died. So, yeah, I'm behind.

Pete!
01-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi! Josh, your mix was on the doormat when I got home last night. I'm giving it a listen right now on the stereo - if I pop it in my laptop will a tracklist make itself known? I recognised the Blood Brothers, and right now I'm enjoying a Britney cover, but apart from that I'm a bit in the dark. I'm really enjoying it though! Nice and downbeat, lots of darkwave, big ol' synths and drum machines.

Thank you for the wee gift, too. :)!

I'm also on the fail train, but things are getting finished and I'm hoping to get this thing out for you next week. So many apologies for the delay.

Partisan
01-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi! Josh, your mix was on the doormat when I got home last night. I'm giving it a listen right now on the stereo - if I pop it in my laptop will a tracklist make itself known? I recognised the Blood Brothers, and right now I'm enjoying a Britney cover, but apart from that I'm a bit in the dark. I'm really enjoying it though! Nice and downbeat, lots of darkwave, big ol' synths and drum machines.

Thank you for the wee gift, too. :)!

I'm also on the fail train, but things are getting finished and I'm hoping to get this thing out for you next week. So many apologies for the delay.

You're welcome, and glad you're enjoying it!! The tracklist should show up if you pop it in the computer. I burned it to include the text, so hopefully. The album art is still in the case though, right? There should be a tracklist on the back of the album like a normal CD would have.

Pete!
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Snrffaha, I'm such a dickhead, I strained to read the text printed on the inside of the case, and somehow stared straight past the tracklist on the back. Well, it was very early this morning.

I'll post more thoughts as I listen more. Thanks again!

Frasier Crane
01-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Ah, forgot about this!

I sent Erin her mix a couple weeks back, but haven't heard back from her. Hopefully it made it.

Perky Compson
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Kari's is sent! I'm rather pleased with the artwork, hope you like!

EnjoyJoy
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
That art is hilariously amazing ♥

Perky Compson
01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Emo Oranges! I'm a hundred percent even more excited than I already was now!

other pete
01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I have never seen Twilight, and now I think I never can, because there's no way it could possbily compete with Wout's little musical masterpiece of the macabre.....

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5385455902_069af10da1.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5384854821_f751212f23.jpg

I think we are talkin awesome here. And it makes fantastic party music! Especially the "crypt"ic bonus tracks, which, to satisfy your curiosities, are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7yAe2MBIpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-13V7Zqwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjY_uSSncQw

But what's the mysterious little Epilogue, Mr Wouter? You have me stumped!

ebby
01-26-2011, 11:44 PM
^ Amazing mix concept. I fucking love it.

wout
01-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Yay, glad you liked it :) I had a big laugh myself making it! It all fell into place when I divided the songs between Team Edward and Team Jacob, very West Side Story > musical! Which opened up possibilities for the overture and stuff!
The challenge was to get some actual good songs in there. You'd be surprised how many crap songs there are about werewolves and vampires (or, not...).

The epilogue is called Bad for the Soul, from a 90's grunge-band called Brad which consists of members from other 90's grunge bands (like Pearl Jam's lead guitarist). Not many people have heard of them... Their debut, Shame, is quite good!

other pete
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
You can't help being cool even when you're trying to be naff :)

wout
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
;l oh pish-tosh

wout
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Pete, your cd just came with the mail ;l ;l ;l ;l
Can I nominate you for funniest poster for the next awards, please? The 'letter of apologys' had me laughing out loud but when I spotted the build-your-own Amanamda Camara (from rusha wirthout tacks) I lost it completely! (see image) (limited edition, yeah baby!!)

Will play the cd later, but 20 years of Acoustic Canadian Lesbians should get me through the weekend!

ETA: ;l;l;l *snarf*

other pete
01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
We hope the speshal camara brings litterally moments of fun! Limitid Edition only 99,998 left ORDURE FOR YOURE FEINDS NOW [via WWW.PAYFRIEND.RU/GAZPROM the (http://www.PAYFRIEND.RU/GAZPROM%20the) sight you can trussed]

Pete!
02-01-2011, 06:01 AM
ARRRGH.

I have been the worst mix partner. Josh, I can only apologise. I think this is my last Mix Club for a while. If anyone else would like to curate it this year, be my guest.

I've really been enjoying Josh's mix, especially the darkwave stuff like Cex and Natalia Kills. I'm also really intrigued by the Casey Spooner track, I didn't expect that. Will definitely have to go out and check out more (he was half of Fischerspooner, right? I haven't listened to them in an age). It's been on a lot before 7am before the sun rises, the soundtrack to drinking tea by the light of the laptop.

The Blood Brothers track is pretty cool, I gave up on them when the promo tracks for whatever came after Crimes failed to impress me, but I may review that decision. Josh, did you ever see them live? They were batshit.

I'll be honest, I didn't dig Utada, and I really wanted to like Draculatron as I know he's a friend, but I wasn't feeling it.

However, Digital Sunset is a wonderfully crafted mix. The balance and flow is finely tuned, and I can really tell a lot of care and love has gone into it. Thanks, Josh.

My mixes are in the post. They're... haphazard. They're representative of the year I had at any rate, and their lateness has frustrated me as I'm sure they have my partner.

EnjoyJoy
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from Bryan, my mix has to cross a great deal of water/land

Partisan
02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
ARRRGH.

I have been the worst mix partner. Josh, I can only apologise. I think this is my last Mix Club for a while. If anyone else would like to curate it this year, be my guest.

I've really been enjoying Josh's mix, especially the darkwave stuff like Cex and Natalia Kills. I'm also really intrigued by the Casey Spooner track, I didn't expect that. Will definitely have to go out and check out more (he was half of Fischerspooner, right? I haven't listened to them in an age). It's been on a lot before 7am before the sun rises, the soundtrack to drinking tea by the light of the laptop.

The Blood Brothers track is pretty cool, I gave up on them when the promo tracks for whatever came after Crimes failed to impress me, but I may review that decision. Josh, did you ever see them live? They were batshit.

I'll be honest, I didn't dig Utada, and I really wanted to like Draculatron as I know he's a friend, but I wasn't feeling it.

However, Digital Sunset is a wonderfully crafted mix. The balance and flow is finely tuned, and I can really tell a lot of care and love has gone into it. Thanks, Josh.

My mixes are in the post. They're... haphazard. They're representative of the year I had at any rate, and their lateness has frustrated me as I'm sure they have my partner.

Pete, I'm so happy (and a bit relieved) to hear you've been enjoying my mix! I admit, I get pretty invested in making these, and especially this one, just because I know you listen to a lot of different music. I was very much hoping that there'd be stuff on there you hadn't heard, and then that you didn't think it was all just hideous. I like that you've been listening to it before sunrise since a lot of the mix aims to evoke that time, charting a trip into (both the hypnotic surrealism and concentrated, harsh truth of) dreams and a return to reality.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised it was only a couple tracks you weren't really into. I was definitely aware that adding the Utada track was a risk. People either [I]really like her or hate her, but I couldn't get over the production on that one. It just really sounds so much like dusk.

Casey Spooner is half of Fischerspooner. The song on the mix is from his new solo album Adult Contemporary. It's very different from anything Fischerspooner ever did. It's a lot more about the storytelling and vocals, and it completely pushes the spectacle aside and highlights him.

And I did get the chance to see the Blood Brothers. They were batshit! They opened for Coheed & Cambria, and I was very into it, but most of the crowd just despised it. That made the experience quite unique, as they were basically combatting a huge crowd of verbal assholes through the whole set. They didn't really succeed in converting them, but they did hilariously sicken many of the guys in the front row by repeatedly whipping hair sweat literally in their faces and mouths. :)

I can't wait to get your mix! Working from home, I've been going a bit stir crazy this winter, and new music is the only way I've been able to relax while I'm home lately, so it'll be great to jump into your head for a while and out of my own. Really, don't worry that it took a while to get out. I'm quite anxious to hear it, but not upset at all.

So, for those interested, here's my mix Digital Sunset. Large copies of the art are included in the .zip file.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/16q333

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/DividingCanaan/Stuff/DigitalSunsetSm.jpg
Cover

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/DividingCanaan/Stuff/InnerFrontSm.jpg
Inside Cover

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/DividingCanaan/Stuff/DigitalBackSm.jpg
Back

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/DividingCanaan/Stuff/InnerBackSm.jpg
Inside Back

Tracklist:
1. If You Leave Me Now - Daniel Agust
2. Buffalo Ghost - Draculatron
3. Laser Life - The Blood Brothers
4. Pepper - Hesta Prynn
5. Piece of Me - Tricky
6. Kill Me - Cex
7. Zombie - Natalia Kills
8. Love Is Life - Romy
9. While Men Are Dreaming - Jenny and Johnny
10. Undreamt - Painted Face
11. Hide Me - We Love
12. End It All - Atarah Valentine
13. Lucky Charm - Helium
14. Complicit - Casey Spooner
15. No One Just Is - Holly Miranda
16. I'm Not Going Anywhere - Nika and Rory
17. Kremlin Dusk - Utada
18. Gallows - CocoRosie
19. Vultures - Nicole Atkins

Perky Compson
02-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Kari! I got your mix today and laughed at how silly the packaging is. It looks awesome! I didn't realize there were tat many variations on ye olde emorange. I'm familiar with the Antlers, NIN and Nina Nastasia tracks but I'm fascinated to hear them in the context of a mix, and they bode for well for how much I'm going to enjoy the rest of the tracks. I'm going to give it a spin after my job interview today - if the interview goes well I'll be listening with a positive attitude, and if it goes badly I'm sure I could totally use emo oranges. :D

Partisan
02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
I received your mix(es) today, Pete! I love the packaging. I started to read through your notes and I can't wait to listen! :) There's a lot on there I've never heard, and I'm not too familiar with the bands I have heard. I'm excited.

Pete!
02-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Rawr, I'm pleased it's landed!

Brian
02-24-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm still waiting to hear from Bryan, my mix has to cross a great deal of water/land

Still haven't seen it. Reciprocal silence means the same going the other way?

EnjoyJoy
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Still haven't seen it. Reciprocal silence means the same going the other way?

Yep, I rarely get mail, so whenever I do I get excited, but alas, no.

Partisan
04-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Spoilered for length...

I'm quite annoyed with myself that I've taken so long to comment on your CD, Pete!. Despite my pace, I'm fascinated by everything about the mix, most notably the first disc (Contribute To Natural Selection), which is the one I'm going to focus on now. I've started writing out some thoughts about the second disc as well, which I'll post soon.

I know you mentioned the second disc being a nostalgic exercise, but nostalgia is certainly a vibe that carries throughout both mixes. The first disc is very personal in the way it portrays a moment in time, completely enveloping. It's sprawling, and covers a lot of ground while also being very concise, and actually extremely accessible. The first couple times I listened I didn't read the notes (aside from the intro and skimming a few). I listened in the dark, eyes closed mostly, just trying to get a feel. I was happy I did it that way because some of my thoughts coincided with your notes. You really nailed what you were going for.

The whole cd, to me, sounds like somebody spinning their wheels. It sounds like a stationary soul (in a body that continues chugging along) with an active, but weary brain that refuses to shut down. I was surprised to hear a lot of it mention sleep and dreams, and evoke dreamlike states. I think we were going for similar things at points.

I think my absolute favorite track is the Wu Lyf one. The song is completely heartbreaking, but vital and uplifting. It doesn't have the same type of sound as a band like Bikini Kill, for instance, but I think it carries a similar spirit. It's casting off all the bullshit, but it's confrontational. It almost feels like the song's staring you down (even as it hauntingly floats away with the last notes). The lyrics, at one point, are almost shamanic in their repetition, as if the singer is trying to will something in or out of existence through delivery.

The Baths track is also spectacular. It feels like an old soul song, and I love the lyrics. While there aren't technically a lot of words, they say a lot, as does the delivery. That can be said of a lot of the mix.

I actually downloaded the Baths album and listened to it once last year, and enjoyed it, but forgot about it. It got lost in the shuffle of other releases. I rarely give downloaded albums the attention they deserve, and that's why I prefer to buy everything I listen to. Baths was unfortunately a victim of that, but your mix prompted me to order a copy.

At about track 4, I started to notice there was a timeless quality developing. The songs don't sound like they're from specific eras. Not that Portals and Parallels sounds like Massive Attack, but I feel the same kind of vibe I did listening to Blue Lines as a teenager. It's nostalgic, and you can hear influences, but it doesn't sound necessarily like anything else I've heard before.

Sinking Pinks is also amazing. I actually pictured the imagery you described for the Glass Vaults track during this track walking, thinking, taking in surroundings. It gave me a sense of passing time, especially during the nice little instrumental break before the words start. It sounds like a moment of pause. This one especially fit the vibe of a heartbroken soul just shuffling along.

The Glass Vaults track very much sounded lost inside a dream. It was here I realized that there were similar types of instrumentation in a lot of the songs skittering beats and notes that sound like they're twinkling. A lot of them also have this building, tense energy. They often seem like a continuation of one another, especially the first and second track.

The Mogwai track's opening line is one of the best on the CD, completely striking. I never heard Mogwai, but I have heard about them. This is definitely not what I was picturing and makes me curious to check out more. (Thank you for the notes you included about what to check out next!)

The 65daysofstatic track is immense! You weren't kidding! I love the references to dreaming. The whole thing is really very interesting and sonically complex, but uncluttered. I really like it. Still trying to wrap my head around this one entirely. It feels good.

Blur was a perfect way to cap it off. I like that he's talking about driving into the mountains. It says a lot about moving forward, in general. I thought the journal entry nicely illustrated that it's often songs that have been with us forever that evolve with us and move us through our various phases. It's these sort of realizations that made the whole mix feel very internal and personal. All in all, it provides a very satisfying listen on numerous levels. I'm very pleased with it! [post28]

Pete!
04-06-2011, 06:05 AM
Thank you, Josh. It's actually immensely gratifying to read that the mix resonated with you, and that you got such a sense of where I was at whilst compiling it. You even picked up on something I didn't even realise myself; the references to dreaming and psychic space, something I've managed to do completely unconsciously, which is very interesting.

That mix really did capture a moment in time, which you described perfectly as me spinning my wheels. My feet are back on the ground now, and I've another mix to send you which fits precisely that description, to thank you for your patience!

I'm of course really pleased that you enjoyed the music, particularly the songs by some of my most treasured artists (Mogwai, 65days, Subtle). That's always very important, and I'm happy you've been able to find music you've really enjoyed within my little time capsule.

Banjee
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Mix exchange for Fall? I have tons of new songs to groove to.

insanitykun
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd be into it!

clarion
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Me too!

Cuddlefish
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Oh sure!

Perky Compson
09-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Count me in!

slayer13
09-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Sounds fun - I'd like to do it

SrslyChris
09-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm in!

Pete!
09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll make a mix, but I'm not going to organise it this time.