PDA

View Full Version : The Nicki Minaj Thread

The Seaward
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
this might be overly presumptuous of me, but i feel we have enough Nicki fans here to start a thread.

so Pink Friday leaked, and damn if it isn't all kinds of awesome. "I'm the Best" is a perfect lead-off track, all bravado, spun sugar, and venom. i know many are disappointed in the guest rap from Eminem on "Roman's Revenge", and i'm not quite sure how i feel about it. i do think it's an intense song and Nicki sounds great. never been an eminem fan, personally. i just see it as him being his typical, obnoxious self. he doesn't ruin the song though.

Pink Friday is going to be getting a lot of attention from me this season!

here are some jamz old & new.

my introduction to Nicki Minaj/Nicki Lewinsky/Nicki Da Ninja/Nicki Da Boss/Nicki Da Harajuku Barbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZ02vUJsgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCUtnuAXg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsQFXgQuNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHt6f8JPUQA

Simon
11-17-2010, 09:48 PM
:) listening to it right now
Everytime i saw the cover i can't stop laughing , just look at the legs haha

The Seaward
11-17-2010, 09:59 PM
oh i know. those legs are fucking ridiculous. ;l

JHV
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
"I'm the Best" is a perfect lead-off track, all bravado, spun sugar, and venom. i know many are disappointed in the guest rap from Eminem on "Roman's Revenge", and i'm not quite sure how i feel about it. i do think it's an intense song and Nicki sounds great. never been an eminem fan, personally. i just see it as him being his typical, obnoxious self. he doesn't ruin the song though.

I'm The Best is an amazing track. Eminem's part on Roman's Revenge is just ok, it sounds too faux-angry and feels weird coming right after I'm The Best. It's still not as bad as the Drake guest spot on Moment 4 Life, which kills the momentum of a great track.

I'm loving Right Through Me, that simple beat is super catchy and the "howdoyou" repetition works great.

Whappo
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__EYlvig6iQA/TJjSlyiEP5I/AAAAAAAAA0w/yk_NXYkaouE/s1600/Nicki-Minaj-Out-Magazine-shoot.jpg

I am currently cultivating a Minajian attitude towards everyone. It'll help me through the winter.

IF YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME (CHER!)
YOU USED TO BE HERE NOW YOU'RE GONE (NAIR!)

She's hilarious. And I don't mind the Drake guest spot. Sad that Mmmmmassive Attack isn't on the album though.

The Seaward
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
I am currently cultivating a Minajian attitude towards everyone. It'll help me through the winter.

IF YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME (CHER!)
YOU USED TO BE HERE NOW YOU'RE GONE (NAIR!)

yes. YES. i'm doing the same. it's fun to make Minajian phrases out of ordinary, humdrum sentences.

I NEED A SODA (DIET!)
THE MOVIE'S STARTING (QUIET!)

i find myself doing the minaj'o'pause quite regularly. those not in the know might think i'm bonkers, but other Nicki fans get it.

The Seaward
11-18-2010, 10:08 PM
favorite today:

I'M A BAD BITCH, I'M A CUNT
AN' IMMA KICK THAT HO (PUNT!)

Jake
11-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Love her. So much attitude, really refreshing rhymes. The album is decent, but I do wish there were more upbeat songs. I don't mind her softer efforts but I prefer the style of Massive Attack, Roman's Revenge, and Blazin.

MikeEP
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Jake I was just coming in here to post the same thing. There are way too many midtempo tracks on the album. I love her more aggressive stuff like Itty Bitty Piggy and her verse on Monster. I was expecting more energy. A lot of these tracks are actually pretty sappy.

JHV
11-20-2010, 04:07 AM
There are a lot of midtempo tracks on the album, but I'm cool with that because I like pretty much all of them. Right Through Me, Save Me, and Dear Old Nicki are highlights, and I think an album full of just the aggressive or super brag-heavy stuff would've grown tiresome quickly. This album shows a much softer side than I would've expected, and obviously part of that is to appeal to a pop audience, but I also think it's a good development for her.

Whappo
11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I like to start my day with a rousing rendition of I'm The Best, just to remind myself that I am indeed the best bitch doin' it, doin' it. What the fuck they gon' say, etc.

Jake
11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
What the f*uck they gon' saaayeeeehhhhheeeyyy

JHV
11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Anyone going to her show at Hammerstein Ballroom on Thanksgiving? I'm tempted, but I figure she'll be doing a real tour next year that'll be a lot more convenient (and probably more polished too).

The Seaward
11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I like to start my day with a rousing rendition of I'm The Best, just to remind myself that I am indeed the best bitch doin' it, doin' it. What the fuck they gon' say, etc.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Archduke Chocula again.

The Seaward
11-21-2010, 02:06 PM
"long as those muuuhthuuhfuckas know i'm the best!"

i've started my day right. ;)

MikeEP
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of midtempo tracks on the album, but I'm cool with that because I like pretty much all of them. Right Through Me, Save Me, and Dear Old Nicki are highlights, and I think an album full of just the aggressive or super brag-heavy stuff would've grown tiresome quickly. This album shows a much softer side than I would've expected, and obviously part of that is to appeal to a pop audience, but I also think it's a good development for her.

for me it's just that her raps seem less inspired on those midtempo tracks in comparison to the energy and insanely clever wordplay on the more upbeat ones. the tracks you mentioned along with Your Love definitely have more mainstream appeal though.

i'm excited to see how this album does for her though, looks like it's gonna be huge. did anyone see her performance on Letterman? love the song but she needs to drop those ridiculous back-up dancers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGplnbgeJ1Y

also i hadn't heard her respond so directly to all the Lil Kim stuff until now. love how candid she is about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGplnbgeJ1Y

Volta
12-18-2010, 02:09 AM
I never thought much of Nicki. I just thought she was one of the Lady Gaga, shock-and-awe fashonistas that seem to be everywhere. Fuse had a whole block of Nicki Minaj songs and I saw her video for "Right Thru U" - she is quite the artist. I love that song. She is the only female rapper out there it seems. I hope she can revive that a bit.

MikeEP
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
I've listened to Itty Bitty Piggy like 10 times today. That's all.

stillorbiting
12-28-2010, 04:14 AM
I'm listening to all the Pink Friday bonus tracks for the first time right now, and WHY are these bonus tracks?! The fuck were you thinking, Nicki? Super Bass and Blow Ya Mind in particular should have been on the album.

Volta
12-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Nicki Minaj may be asexual. She certainly comes off that way in interviews. "I'm dating Benjamin Franklin"

BettahDevil
12-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm listening to all the Pink Friday bonus tracks for the first time right now, and WHY are these bonus tracks?! The fuck were you thinking, Nicki? Super Bass and Blow Ya Mind in particular should have been on the album.

I agree. I love Muny too!

JHV
12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Nicki Minaj may be asexual. She certainly comes off that way in interviews. "I'm dating Benjamin Franklin"

She's not asexual, I think she's just a) prioritizing her career over a relationship right now and b) not interested in talking about her personal life.

The bonus tracks on Pink Friday are excellent. My favorite is Girls Fall Like Dominoes, and Super Bass is awesome. I wonder which bonus track would've made the album if Nicki hadn't had to include Your Love.

MikeEP
12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Supposedly Dominoes is gonna be a single, along with Moment 4 Life, Fly and Save Me.

stillorbiting
12-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Listening to this to the first time.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6047/nickiminajbeammeupscott.jpg

It is really good. Wow, no wonder people found Pink Friday disappointing. I like it (PF, that is) more than most seem to, but compared to this, yeah, I can see where a bit of a letdown comes in. Her talent is clearly rapping, and PF just has too much singing. She's certainly not a bad singer by any means (though she can't sing live, but that's a different topic), but why not do what you're best at, especially for a debut? Come out of the gate swinging, I say.

Though I would also hate to see her become a one-trick pony. I like that she tries all different kinds of songs. I hope her second album does a better job of being adventurous while still showcasing her (immense) talent properly.

MikeEP
12-30-2010, 10:27 PM
^ yeah i downloaded that recently too, some great tracks on there, especially Itty Bitty Piggy, I Get Crazy, and Keys Under Palm Trees.

i've been checking out her guest verses on a ton of other songs too. her verse on Monster is by far her best in my opinion, but i love her short verse on this "All I Do is Win" remix (at 2:46) which is supposedly in response to this response to Itty Bitty Piggy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W8_xOWd4-Y):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8mRjO1nhg

"ask the IRS, bitch, i'm paying for your healthcare." ;)

The Seaward
12-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Itty Bitty Piggy is still my fave. i do enjoy the new album, but i really love the cray cray batshitness of her early mixtape stuff.

over and out.

MikeEP
01-02-2011, 01:59 AM
from last night..so nice to see her rapping on TV instead of singing ballads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ih51vfsDvo&feature=related

speaking of which, she also did Save Me on the Dick Clark special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5KIIr5LiY&feature=player_embedded

BettahDevil
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I haven't heard the mixtape yet! I really need to get it like, right now.

Pupate
01-02-2011, 09:47 PM

I completely agree about "Super Bass", but I feel like although "Blow Ya Mind" is really great in spots the part at the beginning that repeats throughout the song (the "She said her name was Nicky..." part) completely ruins the song for me. It's really a shame, because I think the parts after it with the sirens and Nicki's rap are really great. I also like "Muny" and "Girls Fall Like Dominoes".

Volta
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
This is hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lroIG5_ytw

AshaBlack
01-23-2011, 12:58 AM
I loved Nicki when she put out her mixtapes Sucka Free, It's Barbie Bitch! and of course Beam Me Up Scotty... I loved when she dropped Massive Attack as well and the song wasn't a big hit (no idea why).. she paniced and went all pop. Pink Friday was supposed to be my album, after the amazing mixtapes and her own comments - I was expecting so much. I was let down. She didn't release a rap album, it's pop. Very very very pop and nothing like what I loved about her before. I'm still disappointed in her. I like Romans Revenge and Your Love though.

Whappo
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Ficki Minaj.

The Seaward
02-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Nicki will be performing numerous shows around Dallas this weekend (she's in town for the Super Bowl). methinks i'll have to catch one. :D

Whappo
12-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Roman in Moscow from the new album, due February 14th. (http://mypinkfriday.com/news/53401?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/popcrush.com/files/2011/11/nicki-minaj.jpg?w=625&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

I really liked Pink Friday, but I'm ready for a full-on Roman album.

Ain't on my period
But I got a new pad

DYING.

stillorbiting
12-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Still not flawless, but way more of a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed.

MikeEP
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
i love it as a teaser for this album in particular because it's a response to the people who want the "Old Nicki" back and everyone (me included) who thinks she went too soft/pop on Pink Friday. so i think it's a really bold move to just throw a track out there like this, which sounds rough and spontaneous enough to be a freestyle. she just sounds so audacious, like she genuinely does not give a fuck in the best way possible ("aint no motherfucking bridge, aint no motherfucking hook..."). plus the way she drags the word "too...." out on "swallow balls, nuts too" is hilarious.

Simon
12-05-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm really loving this song ( and yeah Pink Friday was a big let down )

AshaBlack
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I think I like Romans Revenge a bit better but it could grow on me more. Her best release so far is the Beam Me Up Scotty mixtape

Savannah
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I liked Stupid Hoe and Roman Holiday, but this is shit. I didn't listen to all of Pink Friday, but I'm assuming this is the pattern with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzq6xzITnI

Joey
02-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Yeah, the new song is crap.

Is Roman Holiday available anywhere yet?

Whappo
02-14-2012, 04:11 PM
She needs to take a really long break. Roman in Moscow was a great buzz song and I like some of Stupid Hoe despite myself (and despite its extremely questionable elements), but that Grammy performance was horrendous and Starships sounds sub-B.O.B.

Savannah
02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't get why everyone hates the Grammy performance, honestly. Is it because it seems like pure shock value to people? Maybe I'm just entertainment-deaf, but I was very entertained.

stillorbiting
02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
WHY WON'T SHE STOP SINGING. She is a rapper god damn it why why why why why does she keep releasing these songs with one rapped verse and then lots of repetitive singing?! This ruined over half of Pink Friday and it's clearly going to ruin most of this new album too.

The verses and beat of Stupid Hoe are actually really good. It's unfortunate that the horrific chorus & outro poop all over the rest of the song. I want to like it, but I just can't.

Andrew
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Lol I like the outro. I think it might be her way of making fun of everyone who thinks she shouldn't be singing. IMO the worst thing about that song is the video.

Whappo
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't get why everyone hates the Grammy performance, honestly. Is it because it seems like pure shock value to people? Maybe I'm just entertainment-deaf, but I was very entertained.
Let me count the ways!

1. The song is terrible.
2. She's managed to catapult past camp and into cringe.
3. Lyrically trite, and further reduces the Roman character to a series of puns - first Polanski, now Roman Holiday.
4. SILLY ACCENTS. TWO OF THEM.
5. "MOTHER PLEASE STOP IT" sounded like bad Resident Evil voice acting/scripting.
6. It was just a mess. She doesn't do shocking or big set pieces very well and she doesn't HAVE to if she just had some good material and stuck to raps.
7. The only things I remember are disparate elements, all of which amount to Nicki shouting cliche lyrics. The impression it left was that the song was so weak that it was necessary to throw a lot of shit at it and see what stuck.

The one part I loved was the windows smashing (it looked very Soul Calibur - ha!), but generally I just didn't 'get' the performance at all. She's flying far too close to the sun at this point and seems to think she's an artist who can pull off these big 'events'. She isn't and that's not what made her intriguing in the first place.

Partisan
02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I thought she killed it at the Grammys. That's the best I've heard her sound live. I actually wish her live show was more like that, because she sounded horrible when I saw her and the whole performance was just boring.

stillorbiting
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
This new song sounds like Till the World Ends, Party in the USA, Last Friday Night, Party Rock Anthem, and the old glitter in Ke$ha's buttcrack had the worst orgy ever.

Owen
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Let me count the ways!

1. The song is terrible.
2. She's managed to catapult past camp and into cringe.
3. Lyrically trite, and further reduces the Roman character to a series of puns - first Polanski, now Roman Holiday.
4. SILLY ACCENTS. TWO OF THEM.
5. "MOTHER PLEASE STOP IT" sounded like bad Resident Evil voice acting/scripting.
6. It was just a mess. She doesn't do shocking or big set pieces very well and she doesn't HAVE to if she just had some good material and stuck to raps.
7. The only things I remember are disparate elements, all of which amount to Nicki shouting cliche lyrics. The impression it left was that the song was so weak that it was necessary to throw a lot of shit at it and see what stuck.

The one part I loved was the windows smashing (it looked very Soul Calibur - ha!), but generally I just didn't 'get' the performance at all. She's flying far too close to the sun at this point and seems to think she's an artist who can pull off these big 'events'. She isn't and that's not what made her intriguing in the first place.

Yes to all of the above. If that's the best she's ever sounded live, that's really sad. It was the worst performance I've seen in recent memory. I tried muting the TV because it sounded so bad and I still felt physical discomfort.

(I love her on the Madonna track, though. LOVE!)

MikeEP
02-14-2012, 08:56 PM
WHY WON'T SHE STOP SINGING. She is a rapper god damn it why why why why why does she keep releasing these songs with one rapped verse and then lots of repetitive singing?! This ruined over half of Pink Friday and it's clearly going to ruin most of this new album too.

i did like Roman in Moscow as a teaser but, yeah, i'm getting really bored with her. i have no interest in her as a pop star whatsoever..especially when it's tired and derivative pop crap like Starships and Stupid Hoe. i was first interested in her because she seemed like a really smart and stylistically compelling rapper. it's making me think she's run out of lyrical ideas as a rapper because Stupid Hoe is basically just rehashing other, better raps of hers from other songs. the "Nicki Minaj" blink/hashtag style raps are sounding really worn out.

Mike_P
02-15-2012, 12:38 AM
I actually like the new song. She's done better, but I won't change the station if it comes on.

That Grammy performance, though. WHAT was that? I felt embarrassed for her in the way that she should have felt embarrassed for herself. I guess she's working with Lady Gaga's former choreographer/creative director or whatever, Laurieann Gibson, which explains it a bit. I think Laurieann is terrible.

MrQuin
02-15-2012, 05:55 AM
I had to watch the performance (at work, with no sound) on Youtube to get the fuss and I simply don't get it. The exorcism theme and Catholic aesthetics have been used in entertainment business for ages and now people are nettled over this? :rolleyes:

Whappo
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
I thought people were just bored by it.

Anyway, this continues to be really hilarious to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVw7eJ0vGfM&ob=av2e

DEH DEH DEH DEH DON'T LET ME DIE YOUNG
I JUST WANT YOU TO FATHER MY YOUNG

Jesus Christ.

Bastien
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I've never payed attention to Nicki, but really loved the Grammy performance. I enjoyed the accents and terrible lyrics.... oh no!

dAmION
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know/can tell me the name of the song she performed on Carson Daly's New Years show??

toriMODE
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Google is your frand:

Moment 4 Life / Save Me

stillorbiting
02-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Nicki before she was famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRnG3iUsaIg

This makes me sad. :(

Kala
02-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Don't know if anyone saw this, but it's so darn cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9573kGBtuE