PDA

View Full Version : Joan Osborne

Nick
12-27-2010, 06:15 AM
I couldn't find a Joan Osborne thread? That has to be a mistake!

I knew Joan was working on something new, but didn't know any of the details, until I bumped into this site today:

http://loveandhatemusic.com/

"This Is Where We Start" and "Train" sound awesome in particular. Does anyone know if there are album-release plans for the musical parts of this project?

Jake
12-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Wow, I think all of those songs sound great! Really digging the sound. It's different and familiar for her at the same time. Hopefully there's more, and hopefully they're released!

sleeptheclock
03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
She just showed up on my iPod shuffle.

Her output is a little inconsistent, but when she's on, she's on fire. Definitely an under-appreciated talent. I always appreciate hearing new music from her. I hope the songs from this new performance piece of hers find their way on an album.

She's also one of the weirder one-hit-wonders going ... she's known by most people for a song that is not really like her other material at all.

Nick
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Too bad the new stuff didn't see the light of day in CD form :( But she's touring with Dar Williams and is supposed to be working on another covers album. I wish I could make that tour, but not looking like it's going to happen. Sounds like a good show though!

Interviews with Joan and Dar:
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2011/09/09/781185.aspx
http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2011/08/19/778909.aspx

sleeptheclock
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
So Bring It on Home was released ... and it's good!

I wasn't expecting much from this. I thought her previous all-covers album (How Sweet It Is) and her half-covers album (Breakfast in Bed) were the weakest records in her discography. The former felt like a missed opportunity for a number of reasons, and the latter had dinner-music production working against it. Both have great songs on them and aren't necessarily bad albums ... but for such a super talent, they often didn't really show her off the way they could have.

I am not a huge blues fan, but on first listen I like this new record a lot. Her voice is, as always, great. And the production feels authentic. It doesn't have that bland "________ sings the Great American Songbook" sheen we usually get on records like this. I was worried that'd be the case, and am glad my fears were unfounded.

She's such a great singer, I wish she got a little more love. This album arrived with no fanfare and an extremely cheap looking cover. There's probably a $10 promotional budget for this album. Thank God she's still recording, though.

Jake
09-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Saw Joan for the first time last night at City Winery, in Chicago.

Holy holy, she was incredible. For one, she (and her voice) have not aged a bit. For 50?! She looks and sounds like she did in 1995! It's insane.

She played with a keyboardist/pianist, and played acoustic guitar with some light percussion. It was a mixed set of new, old, and covers. She opened with "This Is Where We Start," which was linked in the first post of this thread. I was mesmerized, I couldn't keep my eyes off her and the song is so lush and timeless.

Other highlights - St. Theresa, God Bless The Child, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, another new one Work On Me, and Brokedown Palace. I'm so glad she's still actively releasing new material. She has one of the best voices I think I've ever heard.

sleeptheclock
09-18-2012, 03:14 AM
^

Cool!

She is so, so good. I saw her once live, when she was touring behind Righteous Love. I had been a casual fan, but she's even more impressive live than on record. I've always wanted to check her out again in concert but have never gotten around to it. I really don't think she gets her due as the magnetic singer and live performer than she is.

Also, lucky you to get "What Becomes ..." live. The version of that on Standing in the Shadows of Motown is easily one of my favorite recordings of hers. Easily.

Jake
09-18-2012, 03:29 AM
^
I really don't think she gets her due as the magnetic singer and live performer than she is.

Absolutely. I can only hope someday she'll be appreciated for the amazing amount of soul she has. She's been able to sustain a lengthy career with a supportive fan base. Her side projects have opened people up to her voice and made them lifelong fans.

I think her curse is that One Of Us is the song people know her for. Sure, it's a nice single and 90s staple, but it doesn't show 1/16th of her abilities. I wish everyone who knew only that song was required to watch the Standing In The Shadows of Motown performance. It would convert them in a heartbeat.

sleeptheclock
09-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Let's list our favorites while we're at it. Here are mine, not in order:

1. St. Theresa
2. Ladder
3. Pensacola
4. Righteous Love
5. Grand Illusion
6. Poison Apples (Hallelujah)
7. What Becomes of the Brokenhearted (live)
8. Break Up to Make Up
9. Pretty Little Stranger
10. Cathedrals

Jake
09-18-2012, 03:36 AM
1) St Teresa
2) Righteous Love
3) What you Are
4) What Becomes of The Broken Hearted (Live)
5) This Is Where We Start
6) Ladder
7) Pretty Little Stranger
8) Crazy Baby
9) Spiderweb
10) Brokedown Palace

sleeptheclock
09-18-2012, 03:37 AM
I think her curse is that One Of Us is the song people know her for. Sure, it's a nice single and 90s staple, but it doesn't show 1/16th of her abilities. I wish everyone who knew only that song was required to watch the Standing In The Shadows of Motown performance. It would convert them in a heartbeat.

Definitely. Half the times people say, "Trust me, the rest of their work is SO MUCH BETTER than their single" with bands they like, it's kind of bullshit. But with Joan, I want to say, "No, really ... you have NO idea how good she is." Her one hit really doesn't represent what kind of artist she is at all.

sleeptheclock
09-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Oh, "Crazy Baby" is a good one. I forgot that. I love the whole Pretty Little Stranger album, but I haven't absorbed it enough to pick out many favorites from it. The title track stands out, but I imagine with more listens I might have more favorites from that one.

I also like "Everybody is a Star" from How Sweet It Is, but that is definitely not one of her best recordings. Time has been kind to Righteous Love, though. Initially it really paled in comparison to Relish. It's still not as good as that album, but it has some REALLY good songs on it.

Nick
09-18-2012, 04:05 AM
In no particular order (except the first one - and I can't do less than 12):

1. St. Theresa
2. Pensacola
3. Crazy Baby
4. Spiderwebs
5. Ladder
6. Righteous Love
7. Hurricane
8. Pretty Little Stranger
9. Shake That Devil
10. Eliminate The Night
11. Little Wild One
12. Daddy-O

Also, Dust Into Ashes very nearly made my list. Should not have been relegated to digital bonus track status :( And her Do I Ever Cross Your Mind is wonderful.

Nick
11-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Joan contributes vocals to a new superband (or "creative collective") called Trigger Hippy. All of the tracks are up on Soundcloud at their site http://triggerhippy.net. Joan sounds wonderful as always!

The powerful, soul-infused rock and roll band was founded by Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman, and features twin lead vocals from multi-platinum recording artist Joan Osborne and singer-songwriter Jackie Greene who also plays guitar and keyboards. Rounding out the group are lead guitarist Tom Bukovac, who co-produced the EP with the band, and bassist Nick Govrik.

More excitingly sounds like her next solo album Love & Hate will be out early in 2014. Yay!

Jake
11-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh the Trigger Happy stuff sounds great! Love Joan singing this style of music.

Nick
12-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Pledgemusic is up for Love And Hate! No really exciting rewards, but looking forward to getting the album in March.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/joanosborne

Nick
02-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Hope there are some good rockers on here, but the more balladic title track from Love And Hate is beautiful; she hasn't lost a step vocally. Album's out April 8th!

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/02/joan-osborne-celebrates-love-start/

Jake
02-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Hope there are some good rockers on here, but the more balladic title track from Love And Hate is beautiful; she hasn't lost a step vocally. Album's out April 8th!

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/02/joan-osborne-celebrates-love-start/

So glad "Where We Start" made the cut. She opened with it when I saw her in Chicago a little while back, and it was just gorgeous. I love the melody and the strings on it.

Nick
04-08-2014, 10:53 PM
This is out today, but I'm very sadly unexcited to pick it up after having heard the clips on iTunes. I'm sure there will be a few keepers, but nothing made me want to run into the city for a copy. They really just made me want to go listen to St. Theresa on repeat instead :)

Will definitely grab it soon, though, and hope to be pleasantly surprised by the full tracks. Anybody pick a copy up yet?

Nick
10-12-2015, 03:40 AM
Relish vinyl release (yay!!) and reissue with bonus tracks! She's put out material I genuinely love since, but nothing comes close to touching this - one of my Top 10 albums of all time (along with Alanis' JLP, being reissued the exact same day - crazy). Interested to hear the two non-album tracks from that era. Wish some of the tunes that were on the shelved follow-up, or a studio version of Hammerhead could see the light of day too, but don't see them listed here.

The Relish 20th Anniversary Edition will be available on October 30 in three separate formats, featuring expanded liner notes written by Chris Talbott and a variety of bonus tracks. The single-CD version includes the original demo of "One of Us," with songwriter Eric Bazilian accompanying Joan on guitar; a demo version of "Pensacola" in a completely different, reggae style featuring the entire band, and the previously unreleased track, "Mighty One," from the Relish recording sessions.

The 20-track digital bundle, available in both standard and HD digital formats, includes the three bonus tracks mentioned above as well as the previously unreleased "Here Comes What's Coming," recorded at the same time as Relish and 4 live B-sides, among them a version of "One of Us," performed for WXPN's World Caf plus "St. Teresa" and "Spider Web," both recorded for KSGR in Austin. Finally, there's a version of "Crazy Baby" recorded live from the Gavin Triple A Convention in Boulder, CO.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/article/20th-Anniversary-of-Joan-Osbornes-Relish-Coming-to-CD-Digital-Two-LP-Vinyl-Version-1030-20151006

Jake
10-12-2015, 03:37 PM
So excited to finally own this record on vinyl, and pumped to hear the bonus tracks. I'm with you, Nick; Joan has continued to release fantastic material but this is definitely her best work overall. It still frustrates me that she's not known by the general public for her voice. It's almost like a Jewel scenario. People still associate her with "One Of Us", which is one of the least vocally impressive tracks on the album. In actuality, she has one of the most rich, soulful voices I've heard.

sleeptheclock
10-13-2015, 03:59 AM
Love Relish and I'm really happy this is getting a vinyl release. I'll definitely buy it. She's released some good material since her debut, but nothing really comes close. For me, Righteous Love and Pretty Little Stranger are runners up, though. Joan's voice is impeccable but she frankly does not always have the best material. When she has good material, she's unstoppable. One of my favorites of hers is actually a cover--her live version of "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" from Standing in the Shadows of Motown is insanely good.

Joan was mentioned in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly--there was a sidebar listing times when they missed the mark on how they assessed records. Whoever wrote it felt they overrated Relish, which they named their album of the year in 1995 and later named one of the top ten records of the 90's. The writer noted that Bjork's Post and Alanis' Jagged Little Pill were released the same year and were more deserving of their top honors. I couldn't help but feel this was a little revisionist--even if she hasn't recorded another truly great album, Relish really IS incredible. I think it holds up terrifically well. Also, as a loyal EW reader, I remember that they named JLP one of the worst of the year that year!

Anyway ... 1995, There were so many great records that year--Relish, Post, The Bends, To Bring You My Love, Garbage. Even though they don't get talked about much today, that was also the same year as the Jayhawk's Tomorrow the Green Grass and Matthew Sweet's 100% Fun, which are also great. Oh, and I lived for Madonna's Something to Remember. I know it's a compilation, but it recontextualized her ballads so beautifully that it felt like a new record.

Nick
10-30-2015, 03:23 AM
Oh I am loving Mighty One. I mean, I can see it not fitting on the album proper, but definitely should've surfaced somewhere before now - either way I'm glad it finally did. That chorus is totally Relish-era vocally. Here Comes What's Coming is nice too, somewhat reminiscent of Hammerhead maybe? Not as good as Mighty One, but another treat.

Haven't sat down with the demos yet, and not sure if the live tracks are the same ones that were on some CD singles back then, but either way this was quite a treat on short notice. And my vinyl should ship tomorrow!

Baltic
02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
I love Relish and Righteous Love. Recommendations on something akin to those two, please! I'll eventually listen to them all, but I need to ease into the country.

Nick
02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
I'd say Little Wild One is the most obvious next stop; it's more restrained, but it reunited her with the full team from Relish and is entirely original songs.

Love and Hate is the most recent full-length, but is really just kind of okay IMHO.

I love Pretty Little Stranger, but it's the "country" album so might be your last stop.

All of the other full non-Christmas albums are covers albums (except there are a few nice originals like Eliminate The Night on Breakfast In Bed).

The next album is a Bob Dylan covers album, and as much as I would love originals, I'm totally stoked for it!

Nick
06-03-2017, 04:19 AM
I'm not always gaga about cover albums, but really excited for this one. She released the first track (High Water (for Charley Patton)) to Pledgers today (don't think it's streaming anywhere yet?) and the production sounds amazing.

Track list is:

1. Tangled Up In Blue
2. Rainy Day Women #12 & #35
3. Buckets of Rain
4. Highway 61 Revisited
5. Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
6. Tryin’ to Get To Heaven
7. Spanish Harlem Incident
8. Dark Eyes
9. High Water (for Charley Patton)
10. You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
11. Masters Of War