PDA

View Full Version : Bad ass stuff you did in 2010

eednic
12-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Please share!

What are some of the cool things you did/accomplished in 2010 that you never want to forget?

(NEVAR FORGET).

Kari
12-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I went ziplining in Costa Rica! It was really scary, but awesome!

fullofwish
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
2010 kicked my arse all year long! I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years, left him and all my friends and my cats and my job and my mortgage to move back in with my parents to go to university (which also included a move from Australia back to New Zealand after being in Australia for 7 years and building my whole life there), and squeezed in a month with my BFF in Portland and Canada as well.

So my accomplishment for 2010 ... getting through all that alive and HAPPY!!

Becka
12-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I walked half marathon and ran my first official 5k race. that's about it.

Andrea
12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
I taught myself to knit, which has turned into a rewarding and fun hobby. I'd been thinking about it for a long time before biting the bullet, and thanks to youtube, it was pretty painless.

Michael Michael
12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Great idea for a thread!

2010 has been a pretty good year for me. It's my first full calendar year in a stable relationship, and my boyfriend is very sweet and supportive of me. I completed my PhD coursework. I spent the summer studying for comprehensive exams, and I aced them on the first try at the end of August. I got the thesis supervisor I wanted and a thesis committee I'm very happy with. Since moving in September 2009, I've made some wonderful new friends. I got to spend some quality time in NYC this December, and I was home in NFLD in September to see my high school BFF married.

I guess I'm happiest and proudest of the successes I've had with writing. Two years ago a single legit publication would have thrilled me; this year I've had 4 short stories and 1 piece of creative/literary non-fiction published. This November I won second place in a fairly high profile (within the region) short story competition. Because you are allowed to submit two entries to this contest and because all entries are judged blind, I also scored an honorable mention. Another story was also short-listed in a separate contest, but it was not one of the three winners. This is all very encouraging and I hope I can carry this energy forward into 2011.

Kari
12-31-2010, 09:54 PM
^ That's amazing about getting published!! Congrats! [post28]

Pupate
12-31-2010, 09:57 PM
I suppose it's rather bad that I can't think of anything that I've done in the past year to be proud of, but I really like the variety of accomplishments in here so far!

Jezebelle
12-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Despite losing a career I've loved (I'm still waiting for that silver lining...!), I've actually done a lot of traveling! We went to Seattle in May, I went to Ireland in July and then we went to Hawaii in November! Then we ended 2010 with a family trip to Disney World. So not too shabby I'd say :)

tivoklr
12-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I restructured my mortgage, which was a total fucking nightmare. Not 100% out of the woods due to the 2nd, but that thing is a drop in the bucket in comparison.

toriMODE
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I totaled my car and got my first brand new car afterwards. I purchased my first smart phone. I went to NYC for my first time to visit my good friend and old roommate. I went to Orlando Pride in June. I quit smoking finally. And lastly, I met my current partner!

Amie
12-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Birthed a little human and got out of a really, really pathetic marriage. Plan to go back to school next year.

coronaradiata
12-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Becka
01-01-2011, 01:13 AM
to finish 2010 i ran my race the fastest yet. 33:23 !

hollerskates
01-01-2011, 01:29 AM
got married, ran a 5k and raised over $1000 for breast cancer research.

HumptyDumpty
01-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I survived a house fire that nearly killed my parents and I. It's something I never thought I'd have to go through, but I made it. And I'm better for it. So bring it on, 2011.

Barbarella
01-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Moved to Orlando, went back to the gym, lost 60lbs, shot my first gay wedding!

My focus in the new year is to start making real $$$!

Bluebell
01-01-2011, 02:54 AM
I finally escaped the 'burbs and moved into my very first apartment with my fantastic girlfriend. ;)

madworld
01-01-2011, 04:09 AM
I finally got married after being engaged for 8373843394 years.

It was awesome.

And we went on a cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman Islands, and Jamaica for our Honeymoon. That too was awesome.

cinny~lou
01-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Bought my first car and completed my M.Ed.!

Steve SFM
01-01-2011, 05:26 AM
I came out the other side.

And I learned who has my back.

And I know what I have to do.

SisterErnestine
01-01-2011, 05:59 AM
I got a job working for the American Red Cross. I worked for Cirque Du Soliel this year. I danced around in my bra to Ke$ha and Lady Gaga at Blow Pony (dance party that happens once a month at a gay bar called Rotture.) I developed a love affair with the city of Portland. I had so much fun this year that I completely forgot about the internet forum that I used to whine about my life to. ;)

SisterE

ETA-And I finally finished Infinite Jest!

Gale
01-03-2011, 01:43 AM
I went to my first two concerts. I also managed to start and maintain an entertainment blog, which is something I've always wanted to do.

Corey Haim
01-03-2011, 03:37 AM
i finally graduated from school, moved to atlanta two days after taking my last class EVER (summer art studio course), and was able to secure a transfer to a pharmacy in georgia the day before i moved. it actually kind of freaked me out how everything just fell into place at the last minute. we moved in august and i have loved it here ever since.

i was also very proud of the ad campaign my "agency" came up with for my "advertising campaigns" class in the spring semester. out of the three "agencies" in the class, we had THE BEST campaign, hands down. and i was blown away by the fact that we were the only agency to use social media in our campaign. i mean, hello! it's 2010! it's amazing how awesome, OR SHITTY, people can perform in groups when they communicate or don't communicate with each other, and how embarrassing it can be to watch these groups defend their campaigns in front of their fellow students, client(s), and professors when they know their campaign is SHIT and that there had been an obvious lack of communication between agency members throughout the semester. i give major props to my "account executive" for the success of our campaign. he really did an amazing job in his role.

oh yeah, i saw robyn at the johnny rockets right around the corner from the venue she played at, and i saw that she was eating french fries and drinking a vanilla milkshake. i was very intrigued with this knowledge, like, "she's an electropop superstar and she gets her powers from french fries and vanilla milkshakes. i now know!" it was like one of those "STARS! THEY'RE JUST LIKE US!" spreads in gossip magazines.

something else that is bad-ass that i'm very proud of is my boyfriend getting accepted into georgia state university for his doctorate (political science/international relations). his acceptance into GSU was why we moved here from nashville (again, his acceptance was at the last minute, adding to the stress of moving from nashville to atlanta). i really can't express how proud i am of him, and i will support him in any way possible during his next ten million years of school.

MikeEP
01-05-2011, 02:16 AM
I took voice lessons once a week for the entire year to get over my stupid fears of singing in front of other people, completed P90X and got into great shape, took 2 classes for my master's degree, and got a promotion at work.

longtime companda
01-06-2011, 01:36 AM
My 2010 was shit but I made it out alive. I completed the semester from hell and multiple pharmacy school applications. I'm cautiously optimistic about 2011.

Girl Friday
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
My 2010 was tumultuous and shitty.

I got married finally after almost 3 years of being engaged. Not quite the wedding that I wanted (thanks to my over bearing mil and then her sister fucking up all my wedding photos)... but in the end, it was a PERFECT autumn day in Central Park with my love, and that's what matters.

And I'm sewing again. :)

Brian
01-06-2011, 03:10 AM
2010 was about trying to get the mundane, but necessary crap over with, and while too many things blew up on me for that to happen, I still paid off two credit cards, my student loan, bought a car that was newer than 10 years old for the first time, and made more money in the last two years than I had in every year from 1994-2008 combined.

hollerskates
01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
every time i see this thread title i read it as "best ass stuff you did in 2010."

Lathan
01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
^ Ha! I was just going to ask if this should be in the Adult Forum.

Butt, I see what they're going for now.

JayPeaches
01-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Achievements
- Finished my MBA
- Got an A in Finance (holy fuck! I wish they'd put that on my diploma. ;l)
- Elected as president of the local chapter of the American Advertising Federation

Travel
- Went to NYC three times
- Went to Denver, CO
- Took two full weeks off work to go to Germany

Personal
- Took way more pictures than I thought I would!

Stephanie
01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
My business has grown A LOT in the past year. I created an ad campaign for our best client that they love, and got to travel for the photoshoots (not far, but still). Those were my first business trips :). There should be 5 more legs to the ad campaign with travel for each one this summer.

I potty trained my 3 yr old in a week (so proud!)

Maintained some great friendships.

Maeby
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Had an emergency c-section and a wonderful preemie back in May.