PDA

View Full Version : Strongest album lyrically?

liquid_running
01-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Under The Pink wins for me. I love all the early albums in terms of lyrics, but there's something about the subtlety of UTP's imagery that's always appealed to me.

Zippo
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
SW, hands down. Songs like I Can't See NY, Virginia, Your Cloud, Gold Dust, Taxi Ride, Carbon and Another Girl's Paradise have some of the best lyrics of her career. I can't think of a bad lyric on that record.

Closely followed by LE.

Bruce
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
^ What Kari said, but with UTP ranking in close second for me.

Tyler
01-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Scarlet's Walk, then Choirgirl.

Hannah.
01-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Pink and Pele. Tori really is a master of figurative language. Her imagery is so strong, yet totally unpretentious and real. The same raw emotions that are in Little Earthquakes are there, but presented in a more reserved fashion, quietly moving beneath the surface. Love!

Soda
01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Hm...Strange Little Girl? I can't decide!! [pan]

I'm surprised SW has so many votes and Choirgirl has none. :O I don't know...probably Under The Pink or Little Earthquakes. UTP might have the edge, it seems to have what LE has but more.

Her lyrical prowess impresses me on all her albums, I really can't choose. ;_;

stillorbiting
01-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Under The Pink wins for me. I love all the early albums in terms of lyrics, but there's something about the subtlety of UTP's imagery that's always appealed to me.

Same vote for me and for the exact same reason.

spyk_
01-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Boys for Pele. Pretty much for 'Doughnut Song' and 'Putting The Damage On'.

fullofwish
01-03-2011, 12:41 AM
I still haven't decided where to put my vote for this one. I love Little Earthquakes lyrically because the simplicity of the lyrics allows it to say so much. I think Under The Pink is a heightened version of of LE, where the simplicity is woven with beautiful, intricate images from her more figurative language. Scarlets Walk is probably the pinnacle of Tori's lyrical narrative, so I'm kind of torn between the lyrics that tell the best story vs the lyrics that really tear me up inside ...

.chris
01-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I ended up going with Scarlet's Walk. However I think Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, and Choirgirl all are pretty strong lyrically.

Cunter Fartlett
01-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Pele for it's poetic, impressionistic obscure wordsmithery (!?). Scarlet for it's traditional songwriting vibe. Both are worlds apart yet are on the same level for me.

HumptyDumpty
01-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Well, I did the math. And FTCH and BFP are tied. However, given the number of songs in each, FTCH has a larger percentage of songs with great lyrics. So I guess I'll go with FTCH.

It makes sense though. Emotionally, those two albums have the most potent lyrics. For me. Songs like Spark, Blood Roses, Northern Lad, Doughnut Song.

toriMODE
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
From the choirgirl hotel.

vioflex
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
I cheated and went with Little Earthquakes, Boys for Pele and Scarlet's Walk.

I really wonder how a follow up to SW would be like, if Tori didn't rush herself with The Beekeeper.

May H
01-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Scarlet's Walk. I think that both the earlier and (to a lesser extent) the later albums have beautiful lyrical moments, but the lyrics to SW are the only ones I can read from beginning to end like a book of poetry.

PurplePerson
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Darn, I went for UTP but I also wanted to vote for SW too.

GirlForPele
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I picked Under the Pink. Boys For Pele is my favorite album of all time, but lyrically I think Pink beats it. "Brothers and lovers she and I were" is better lyrically than "If I lose my cracker jacks in the tidal wave I got a place in the pope's rubber robe." Although I do love the crazy lyrics of Pele, I think Pink is just better in that regard. *shrug*

liquid_running
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm pleased to see Scarlet getting so many votes. I remember when I first became a Tori fan in 2004, Scarlet still wasn't particularly popular and a lot of people felt that Tori's talent as a musician/lyricist was on the decline. I found the album as a whole very bland (although I really like it now), but I felt it was one of the most accessible lyrically.

JHV
01-09-2011, 01:05 AM
It really says a lot about Tori's skills as a lyricist (which she tends to put down in comparison to her musical skills) that I can't pick between 4 albums (UTP, BFP, Choirgirl, and SW) for this poll and that each has a distinct and excellent lyrical style.

I also don't think she gets enough credit for how good the lyrics on Midwinter Graces are, simply because what she added or changed works seamlessly into the old songs, which have had literally centuries of revisions, and feels natural. Winter's Carol and Our New Year also both have excellent lyrics, among the new songs.

lettyt
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that SW is beating FtCH right now. Scarlett has some beautiful moments, but there are so many cringeworthy lyrically moments on that album for me.