PDA

View Full Version : Thirteenth Zodiac sign "discovered"

Octopussy
01-14-2011, 04:46 AM
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/culture/110113/zodiac-signs-astrology-ophiuchus

Zodiac signs are now all the buzz. At least one astronomer claims that individuals' astrological signs may be different than previously thought because of changes in the Earth's alignment.

Astronomer Parke Kunkle told NBC that the position of the Earth in relation to the Sun has changed from 3,000 years ago, when astrological studies began and Zodiac signs were allocated. Star doctors now say that one's Zodiac sign must be reconfigured given the change in the Earth's location.

"Because of this change of tilt, the Earth is really over here in effect and Sun is in a different constellation than it was 3,000 years ago," Kunkle, who is also a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society, told NBC.

The changes mean people's signs may be off by about a month (check below for your — possibly — new sign).

Plus, there may be a thirteenth Zodiac sign: Ophiuchus.

"The tilt of the Earth's axis has gradually shifted since the ancient times when the Babylonians determined the dates of the Zodiac. The calendrical rejiggering also supposedly re-introduced a sign discarded by the Babylonians: Ophiuchus, alternatively called the much-cooler sounding Serpentarius," according to ABC News.

The Zodiac news has caused panic among believers and has dominated Google. Searches related to this topic currently fill six of the top 10 spots on "Hot Topics" and 13 of the top 20 spots on "Hot Searches" in the United States.

The news has also been controversial with one astrologer calling it "ridiculous."

"We've known about this for ages. The constellations don't suggest what's coming up, it's the planets! The constellations are a measuring device," popular astrologer Susan Miller told ABC News.

"In ancient days there were, like, 50 constellations. Then they finally got together and agreed on 18. Then they narrowed it down ... I'm getting so many tweets. Trying to explain something technical in 140 characters is hard!"

Here is the possible new chart, taking the changes into consideration:

Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18- May 13
Taurus: May 13- June 21
Gemini: June 21- July 20
Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20

I'm a Taurus now!

ISN'T THIS EXCITING????!? I can't wait to see my new chart with a 13th house.

Mori
01-14-2011, 04:50 AM
So I'm a Libra now? I always thought I had more qualities of a Scorpio. Oh well.

Tyler
01-14-2011, 04:52 AM
This makes me a Taurus now, too.

toriMODE
01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Was a Libra, and now a Virgo. Hmmmmm....

gyabou
01-14-2011, 05:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidereal_astrology

It's not new, and it hasn't changed your zodiac sign. It's just a different system that's existed since the 1940s. Every time I see this story posted somewhere I want to shoot myself.

Octopussy
01-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Yes apparently this is all bullshit. But hey, numerology isn't an exact science!

Every time I see this story posted somewhere I want to shoot myself.

So do it?

gyabou
01-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Sure!

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldjukpHYhV1qakrdzo1_500.gif

The Seaward
01-14-2011, 05:29 AM
i'm a piscean through and through. i refuse to accept that i'm now and aquay-quay.

Octopussy
01-14-2011, 05:31 AM
i'm a piscean through and through. i refuse to accept that i'm now and aquay-quay.

Goodbye Pisces. This is the dawning of Aquarius.

gyabou
01-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Good article on all of this twattery: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/13/astrological-sign-of-the-times/

Great, so what’s with this new story? Basically, the Star Tribune talked to an astronomer and an astronomy teacher in the area, who (correctly) poo-pooed astrology. The astronomer mentioned that the signs of the zodiac have shifted since they were first invented thousands of years ago. This is true, because the Earth’s axis wobbles over time, which has the effect of shifting the positions of the zodiacal constellations in the sky, or, more accurately, the time of the year the Sun passes through them. So it used to be that if you were born on March 22, you were an Aries… if you went by the original timing of when the Sun was in Aries. But now, millennia later, the Sun is actually in Pisces on that date. And it won’t be much longer before it’s in Aquarius in late March (hence "the dawning of the Age of Aquarius", in case you’re my age and a hippy or a 5th Dimension fan).

So that takes care of the shifting zodiac constellations bit. What about Ophiuchus?

Ophiuchus (which I pronounce oh-FYE-uh-cuss) is the serpent bearer, and is a constellation near Scorpius in the sky. Technically, the Sun passes through Ophiuchus, and in fact is in the constellation longer than it’s in Scorpius! But we don’t include it in the zodiac for a couple of reasons; one is that the stars in it are pretty faint, while those of Scorpius are brighter and easier to recognize, and another is that we can’t have 13 constellations, can we? So poor Ophiuchus is sent off to hold his serpent by himself.

That’s really all there is to it. The constellations aren’t being redefined, and certainly not suddenly by some astronomical coup (the same group, no doubt, being blamed for Pluto). And Ophiuchus has long been a point of contention. Nothing in this story is new at all! It’s another case of media (social or otherwise) fueled nonsense.

The Seaward
01-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Goodbye Pisces. This is the dawning of Aquarius.

;l

:(

Jonathan
01-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Yes yes. People need to calm the hell down, go on Wikipedia, and understand the difference between the tropical and sidereal Zodiac. That is all.

The QQ on Twitter is quite entertaining though.

"I feel sorry for everyone that's an Ophiuchus. Damn that's fucked up!!!"
"Thanks to #Ophiuchus, I had to change my bio. Dammit." (because people give a fuck)
"I feel real bad for everyone who got their zodiac sign tattooed on their body! #Ophiuchus" (AND I LAUGH)
"Fuck I'm an Ophiuchus!" (HERLIFEHASCHANGED)

lacuna
01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
damn, just a day away from being an Ophiuchus.

wout
01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Good thing astrology is all a bunch of bullcrap anyway ;)

(right?!?!)

other pete
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Good thing astrology is all a bunch of bullcrap anyway ;)

(right?!?!)

That is SUCH a Samantha thing to say!

Tragically I cannot find Russell Grant's 80s disco version of Age Of Aquarius on the internet:

http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/images/products/600x400/102/russell-grant-s-astrology.14216294.jpg

It was a bit camp.

My sister got the LP from a charity shop. On pink vinyl. Unless this is some repressed memory signifier.

ETA: No, it exists!

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!B7e!)LwBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!lMEy+jCyKklBM0SqudiEg~~-1_12.JPG

vioflex
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I'M NOT A VIRGIN ANYMORE OMG

(oh, wait! I just rembembered that the sun sign is called 'virgo' in english and that this joke was very, VERY wrong. [pan])
Maybe I just did it because I'm an Aries and ~SCIENCE says we don't think before we do stuff.

EnjoyJoy
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm a Virgo now?

Well I didn't give a crap when I was a Scorpio, and I don't give a crap now.

Stephanie
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I was a Pisces and I still am a Pisces!

Amie
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
So poor Ophiuchus is sent off to hold his serpent by himself.

That's dirty. :mad:

Dave
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
I've left Loserville Aries?

Jezebelle
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
My husband's and my kid's signs are different, but I'm still a persnickety Virgo! *shakes fist*

JAE
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Imagine if any of this actually mattered!

Tyler
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
this stuff's real right

Octopussy
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Imagine if any of this actually mattered!

I know.

Thank you, Star Tribune. (Star Tribune?!?! LOLLLL)

Kari
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
My facebook feed is in a total panic. I cannot tell you how many smart, level headed people I know wholeheartedly believe in this shit (though, I guess for most of them, it's a religion replacement).

other pete
01-14-2011, 03:21 PM
^ That need for a labelling system, however arbitrary or colosally important, is really interesting. I really feel my lack of one (Apart from "GEEK", I suppose)

pan
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
I refuse to become a Capricorn. no offense to you guys but oh wait how can I be offending you if you aren't Capricorns anymore either?

Frasier Crane
01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
We need to come up with our own Forumz Zodiac so we can maintain order in these trying times. Calm down, people! I got it!

Forians-- fasthorse, flaxenhair, Ophelia, Marianne, Allison, Charlotte etc
Sphincters-- scott, echinacea, etc
Roslinians-- Mancy, devnull, etc
Joannians-- ebby, scott, etc
Bushians-- Nancy, gog, etc
Harvians-- gerri, people still on @
Torians-- pip, casey stratton, isabel
toriMODIans-- toriMODE.

I'm a Roslinian with a rising ascendant in Harvian

pan
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
well then I'm Bushian on the cusp of Harvian

Churumbela
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I refuse to become a Capricorn. no offense to you guys but oh wait how can I be offending you if you aren't Capricorns anymore either?

RUDE.

Zomino
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
We need to come up with our own Forumz Zodiac so we can maintain order in these trying times. Calm down, people! I got it!

toriMODIans-- toriMODE.

I'm a Mamandies

Medusa
01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I've always felt like a bit of a sphincter

Whappo
01-14-2011, 08:13 PM
All I care is that it's still the year of the hare this year. That has to mean something awesome, right? PARTY TIME IF YOU'RE TURNING 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84 OR 96.

I'll always be a Gemini though, just for the perks. +30% defence, abs 100% fire/thunder/ice and auto-blink, right? Do we get auto-regen too or is that Aquarius? I forget. I was never very good at science and shit.

Churumbela
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
I think, no matter what the particular animal is for that year, if you're turning 96 it's definitely time to party.

Frasier Crane
01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I've always felt like a bit of a sphincter

I drew up your charts. I forsee you winning some poll on the internet. I also see that you are emotionally scarred by someone calli g you a hobbit...

ebby
01-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm still Irish though, right?

toriMODIans-- toriMODE.

I don't understand this poll. I tried to click for my favourite one and nothing happened.

Why is Scott two things? That's not FAIR

Whappo
01-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I think, no matter what the particular animal is for that year, if you're turning 96 it's definitely time to party.
Is it a magic number?

The other day I looked at the clock at 11:11 and I almost always catch 3:33. Does anybody know any good exorcists or demonologists? I have also started to notice orbs around my house. Also! Whenever my spirit animal, the coyote, visits me, he throws up on my carpet and eats it. I'm concerned. :(

ebby
01-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Is it a magic number?

The other day I looked at the clock at 11:11 and I almost always catch 3:33. Does anybody know any good exorcists or demonologists? I have also started to notice orbs around my house. Also! Whenever my spirit animal, the coyote, visits me, he throws up on my carpet and eats it. I'm concerned. :(

But have you been dreaming of a mysterious stranger called JaSin?

http://vimeo.com/18737126

Jasin and his vampire brood's time is running out. In order for them to survive, Jasin needs to find a mortal to turn into a vampire to spend eternity with. Los Angeles provides plenty of young candidates. The brood has their eyes set on Tara, a young, gorgeous blond college student. Tara is open to the idea of becoming a vampire, but someone else enters the picture to disrupt the brood's plans. Caleb, a fresh face college student new to Los Angeles, keeps dreaming of a mysterious stranger. At school, Caleb meets the stranger, Jasin, and they have an instant connection. The problem is that time is short, and Jasin needs to convince Caleb that eternity as a vampire can be a very sweet life...

Frasier Crane
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I don't understand this poll. I tried to click for my favourite one and nothing happened.

Why is Scott two things? That's not FAIR

Well it depends on the form Scott appears as. If he appears as plain Scott he's a Sphincter. If the Mystic Particles of the soul makes the earth tilt into the belt of Orion, then the influence of Alnilam and Mintaka makes Scott take the form of Echinacea which would make him a Forian AND a Sphincter. It's too complex for you, dear.

Whappo
01-14-2011, 08:38 PM

This is why I hate gays.

other pete
01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Does Trailer C imply that there were two more which built... up ...to that one?

"JaSin!"
"KayLeb!" (sp?)

marci
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
(TheWeatherSpace.com) -- It all started when an astronomy professor from Minnesota told a local media outlet there about how the star alignments are changing, but instead took off as a false viral.

Fox News is to blame for this mix up. Once the reporters heard of this they automatically thought the entire Zodiac would change because of it.

This is as bad as the Mars hoax that happens around August of each year. Please, if you read the story anywhere on the Zodiac, reverse it and tell the people around you.

Virals can go good, or bad. If a major outlet such as Fox News told the audience aliens were above The White House and it ended up being a balloon shaped like a craft, the world would go into a frenzy.

Whatever sign you were before this happened, you are still that today. This is a worldwide scare that should never have been released by FOX NEWS and TheWeatherSpace.com is very upset at them. They've lost some credibility on their articles and anything we may publish for them will be subject for review before adding to the main page wall.

The Zodiac story has been PULLED from this server. TWS does not endorse false stories.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kg-ikJc_YJ8/SuVTXae2w9I/AAAAAAAAAms/kOS5TyudSDA/s320/simpsons_nelson_haha2.gif

stillorbiting
01-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Wait, why is Scorpio only a week? That's... suspicious. Even though I don't believe in this stuff, I'm kinda weirdly glad I'm still a Scorpio, anyway. :P

(That being said, can you imagine if this were actually true? What would all those people with Zodiac tattoos do? THIS IS A DISASTUH)

Whappo
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Imagine how awful it must be to have a zodiac tattoo.

I mean even before this breaking news.

Just imagine. :(

Frasier Crane
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
It'd actually be pretty easy to correct most of them.

Bright Gemini
Scorpioe!
Librass player
(Oh, England My) Leo(tard)
SagiTaorri & us 4ever!
Taurustic person!

SMMY
01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Well it depends on the form Scott appears as. If he appears as plain Scott he's a Sphincter. If the Mystic Particles of the soul makes the earth tilt into the belt of Orion, then the influence of Alnilam and Mintaka makes Scott take the form of Echinacea which would make him a Forian AND a Sphincter. It's too complex for you, dear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-YVt4gfquA

other pete
01-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I WANTED A CRAB OR A 69!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2D547JiPaSI/TDl8cZkIh2I/AAAAAAAACHc/CO4uDjkMuFU/s400/Hope_Cancer_Awareness_Tattoo.jpg

supernova
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
It's really sad that in the week of the American Astronomical Society meeting, where new scientific results are released to the public, including the discovery of new planets by the Kepler mission, people are still much more interested in this story. That something that has been known and calculated since some hundred years BC could go viral and have everyone protesting that they really ARE a Sagittarius and not an Ophiuchus is incredibly disappointing. This isn't science, despite how the media framed it. Science involves posing a question and going after new evidence to support/refute it, not re-doing some ancient calculations. People are too self-involved. Astrology is not much more than navel-gazing with a slapdash of superstition. Then there were the ridiculous tweets saying that this didn't change anyone's sign as long as you were born before 2009 because Ophiuchus didn't 'exist' before then. I mean, really? Who believes this bullshit anymore?

Corey Haim
01-14-2011, 10:51 PM

O-M-G that looks SOOOOO GOOOD!!!!1

ebby
01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I love how they all lie down on the ground, topless, in a circle, making a sort of Big Wheel...

Medusa
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I drew up your charts. I forsee you winning some poll on the internet. I also see that you are emotionally scarred by someone calli g you a hobbit...

Does the chart show my raw sexuality and bedroom ceiling covered with roslin posters. The spice must flow...

Frasier Crane
01-15-2011, 12:31 AM
God, Mancy, you're such a slut. But, yeah, I did see that! But be careful-- there's a shadow hiding... let me divine more.. yes.. it's coming to me... it's a woman... she has an evil look on her face... she's hiding behind the bush near the window... SHE'S CLIMBING INSIDE!... she has a knife... NO SHE HAS AN AXE... no she has a sharpie... SHE'S DRAWING MUSTACHES ON THE ROSLIN POSTERS!!!

her name is bevnull or something.

Gale
01-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Still the same sign. Whatevs.

baronette
01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Was a Libra, and now a Virgo. Hmmmmm....

Yeah, I like my Libra-ness.

Fast Horse
01-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Interesting to see people who just shit on astrology. hm. Says much.

In either case, Carl Jung is a great place to start if you're interested in reading up on the topic, which really falls under the category of synchronicity rather than a "belief". But who knows, I'm done. ;)

Also, he was the catalyst for Psychological Astrology. Look it up. It's not that Walter Mercado mystical bullshit. It has great validity.

For fun (not b/c he "believes" in astrology, but b/c the poor guy doesn't realize the fucking fluidity of our universe and that perhaps the zodiacal circle which is just an snapshot of our shifting sky ISN'T FUCKING "EVEN"):

7-Music Says:
August 16th, 2008 at 4:23 am
WHY IS SCORPIO 6 F***ING DAYS!!1?? THIS THING IS F***IN WRONG!! EVERY OTHER ZODIAC SIGN HAS MORE DAYS THEN SCORPIO AND GO INTO DIFFERENT MONTHS BUT SCORPIO IS IN THE SAME MONTH AND ONLY LASTS FOR 6 F***IN DAYS!! THIS ZODIAC CHART IS WRONG TO A “T” WHO EVER CAME UP WITH IT FAILED HARD!! EACH ZODIAC IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN EQUAL OR CLOSE TO AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF DAYS!!!

I AM A SCORPIO and i know for sure I’M NOT A LIBRA!!!!!!!! i take pride in my sign and i wont let a thing like the so calle “13th sign” take it away from me…plus i know the mystery behind the 13th sign…and after reading that I DON’T THINK any of you would want to be a OPHIUCHUS!!!

Read more: Ophiuchus - The 13th Sign of the Zodiac 2011

Also, the plot thickens: There's actually two charts based on whether or not you were born before or after 1990. Or is there.

For more: http://www.love-astrology.com/13th-sign-of-the-zodiac/ophiuchus-13th-sign/

EnjoyJoy
01-15-2011, 12:37 PM
And what if I was born ON 1990?

Simon
01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm still a Taurus anyway :P

JAE
01-15-2011, 03:43 PM

As a Forian you would say that.

Octopussy
01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
As a Forian you would say that.

No that's definitely a classic Sphincter trait.

Corey Haim
01-15-2011, 06:23 PM
And what if I was born ON 1990?

AQUARIUS March 26 - April 18
PISCES April 19 - May 26
ARIES May 27 - June 20
TAURUS June 21 - July27
GEMINI July 28 - August 27
CANCER August 28 - September 17
LEO September 18 - October 24
VIRGO October 25 - December 9
LIBRA December 10 - January 1
SCORPIO January 2 - January 8
OPHIUCHUS January 9 - Janury 26
SAGITTARIUS January 27 - February 27
CAPRICORN February 28 - March 25

from the comments section here (http://www.love-astrology.com/13th-sign-of-the-zodiac/ophiuchus-13th-sign/).

pan
01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
this stuff is so confusing.

Octopussy
01-15-2011, 06:42 PM
this stuff is so confusing.

It's really not: basically, if you're a Sphincter with a rising Prostate in the 6th house, you are compatible with Urethras, but should avoid people who are rising Colons in the 12th house at all costs as they will negatively affect your bladder health.

JAE
01-15-2011, 07:05 PM
No that's definitely a classic Sphincter trait.

I think Fast Horse's zodiac sign will always be Mong.

Whappo
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
You know what else says much? Your mum. I shitted on 'er. Yeah I just shitted on 'er.

clarion
01-17-2011, 12:13 AM
ASTROLOGY IS SRS BSNS.

Film at eleven.

Whappo
01-17-2011, 12:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

Nil points, astrology.

other pete
01-17-2011, 05:55 PM
TOO SOON ANDREW TOO SOON.

Anyway I'm a FYROManiac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJPK8ATnRt0

(The Skopje Doll Posse really "get going" around 0:50)

ebby
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
They sing so beautifully. I'm in awe.