PDA

View Full Version : webdesigners!

wout
01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
I know there are quite a few posters here who are working with webdesign/programming etc. I'm trying to brush up on my ancient, primitive skills (used to build websites with GoLive and such). Right now I'm teaching myself to use only CSS for the design (and html just for the bare bones and content). That's the way to do it nowadays, right?

After I've done that, I wanted to expand my knowledge a bit and I was thinking about trying to learn Javascripting. Would that be a logical next step? Or should I focus on something else instead, like PHP?

SageBrushFire
01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
That's the way to do it nowadays, right?

Eh, it depends.

From what I've seen, most businesses that don't specifically work in the web design field use really, really old standards and technology. Hell, most places are still using Windows XP and Office 2003 (if you're lucky, my company still uses office 2000!)

Using CSS/HTML and separating logic from presentation has a host of benefits but overall people are slow to convert (nobody likes change I guess) so it depends on who you're making a website for. I worked for a guy who insisted on using deprecated tags and table layouts because that's the way he had done it for 10 years and he wasn't having anyone change it. Make sure you know how to get the same effects with new standards and older methods because you never know what people will want.

You could go with Javascript or PHP; each has unique advantages. Personally I'd start with PHP just because I found a lot more practical uses for server-side scripting in my own website (Dynamic pages, image galleries, database interaction etc.). Learning PHP requires a host that supports it at the very least whereas learning JS only requires a text editor and a browser. If you're serious about building up your web skills then you'll want to be well versed in both so it's sort of inconsequential as to which to go after first.

wout
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok, thanks! I'll have a look at both and see which one tickles my fancy most ;)

C33
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm starting my own business this year and will be designing and developing the website for it over the next couple months. I found this website the other day, and I think it's going to be a big help.

You might find it a useful resource, Wout, if you're not already aware of it.

http://www.w3schools.com/

wout
01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I wasn't! That's a great reference guide, thanks :)

SageBrushFire
01-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Ooh yeah, w3schools is like the Online Bible for web design.

Also if you're trying to learn PHP then you will absolute need this site: http://php.net/

Specifically, using the search function will allow you to quickly look up detailed instructions for a function which I have had to use uncountable times in the past.

wout
01-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Check: www.wout-online.nl

No tables, just css!

pb
01-30-2011, 05:43 AM
I'd go with Javascript. PHP is super; but in terms of getting your feet wet with coding structure there is more wiggle room learning javascript, it's also easier to de-bug and you don't need to be running any server software when constructing it.

As far as resources.wc3 is great, I really love lynda.com (http://lynda.com) (Google for a free week pass) because the videos and tutorials are quite in depth and let one work at his own pace. Also a fan of http://tympanus.net for step by step 'how'd they do that' specific elements. Finally http://www.smashingmagazine.com/ is bookmark-worthy.

gyabou
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm taking a tech class in library school right now and we're covering HTML, CSS, PHP, XML, and XHTML over the course of the semester. I'm really excited! I have very old school experience with hand-coding HTML (circa~ 1998) but nothing too advanced, and I also want to learn how to use programs like Dreamweaver because I see it in a lot of job descriptions.

It should be an interesting experience. This is a required course at the GSLIS so there is a very wide range of students in my class ... from people who are coming from the IT profession to people who don't even know what Firefox is or how to attach files to an email (o m g D: ). If I have the time I'd really like to take some higher level courses later on.

Spikey
01-30-2011, 06:54 PM
On a sidenote, anybody in here who needs help with measurement & analysis of behaviour of their visitors through Google Analytics or any other statistics solution, I'm always willing to help out. As a professional web analyst, I know web analytics are sometimes way too close to the Twilight Zone.

wout
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I gave my site a make-over: www.wout-online.nl
Thoughts are welcome! (It's in Dutch, though)

C33
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I think it's an improvement Wout. I checked out the first one too. Nice clean look. Easier to navigate. More flow. Maybe keep experimenting with banner and header designs for fun :)

wout
03-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Mr. Orange Clouds
03-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I gave my site a make-over: www.wout-online.nl
Thoughts are welcome! (It's in Dutch, though)

Looks fantastic :)

toriMODE
03-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Great job, wout!