PDA

View Full Version : Henry Rollins vs. some woman who is allegedly a hipster

Mordecai
01-22-2011, 04:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhyZaA8yqo

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. This is the man who only listens to ultra-rare, out of print soul records or something. Why the self-hate?

Adam
01-22-2011, 04:16 AM
That girl was being a brat. I thought he handled himself very well. If he had been self-loathing, I think he would've gotten defiant and angry. Instead, he just put that girl in her place. I'm sure she just wanted to tell her friends " Oh My God. I saw Henry Rollins last night and yelled " Get In The Van"! HAHAH. See how cool I am!?!? I'm being patronizing to Indie Icons!"

That said, I love him.

Cunter Fartlett
01-22-2011, 04:28 AM
Henry Rollins is Henry Rollins and though he can seem like a pompous ass, I love that man. It did seem like he went off on nothing, but who knows what he heard from her before hand and the "get in the van" comment was shitty. I have no idea what she meant by that, but whatevs. He was clearly going into that place with the foresight of something like that happening, so he was already in the confrontational mindset. That being said, the hipster girl was mouthy and the Iranian girl was fucking sweet.

MTC
01-22-2011, 04:41 AM
The girl was being a bit jerky but I think he handled it fine. I'm one of those old, in the way people so wtf do I know?

Mordecai
01-22-2011, 04:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne-ojIsMYFk

:p

Cairn
01-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I dunno. I love me some Henry, but he was walking around with a really inflated ego during that clip.

jeth
01-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the girl was out of line, and frankly if some little shit started mouthing off to me just for the LULZ I'd probably be a little miffed too. The man was just trying to go to a record store ffs.

Lágnætti
01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I thought it was funny that he actually confronted her and hey, she got a story to tell out of it and didn't seem offended at all, rather the opposite - I'm sure she enjoyed the attention. Anyway, he wasn't out of line in addressing her after she shouted out like that at all. Clearly he was on edge from the start though, and the references to his age seem to imply he's feeling it a bit. He should chill out. So what that he's older - he's Henry Rollins and has proven himself over the years where as those kids are just ... kids. He still looks bloody good too.

I did enjoy the jab at the trust fund kiddies though. Those are always in vogue.

PS. My favourite Rollins stand-up clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9S5-EB8dR8

Kari
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Henry Rollins is the man. Haters to the left. That girl was annoying with a capital A.

Cairn
01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I just didn't totally get that from her. Maybe I'm missing something (I've not read the book), but while she was obviously having a laugh I thought she tried very hard to recover from it by letting on she was a fan and such.

Plus he did appear to be on a bit of a hipster hunt from the get go.

Mordecai
01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah. If she were a heckler, I'd get it. But she's just a skuzzy kid in a music shop trying to get his attention. And I think her having her own band precludes her from the lazy hipster scum classification. It was a dick move on his part.

And poor Shirin. He used her like a human shield.

NUHN
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
while she was obviously having a laugh I thought she tried very hard to recover from it by letting on she was a fan and such.

She only did that because she was like (gulp) oh shit now I'm gonna look stupid on camera in front of my friends, etc...

I'm team Rollins.

Cairn
01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
And poor Shirin. He used her like a human shield.

I saw that, too.

Stumbleine
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
That chick was asking for it - literally. Don't tell me she didn't see the camera crew hanging on to Rollins and think "shit, what a great opportunity!" Sure, commenting once loud enough for Rollins to hear may not warrant direct attention from him, but hollaring "get in the van, man, get in the van" after that was just her trying to push his buttons. And it worked. Good for her, now she's on youtube!

Either way, Rollins will be Rollins. I love him, even if he involved Shirin in that little outburst. That's just who he is.

Mori
01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
wth does "get in the van" mean? I'm not terribly familiar with Rollins, so I don't know if that's a direct reference to him.

Stumbleine
01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Get In The Van is a memoir by Rollins about his Black Flag days.

Ryan
01-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I know very little about Henry Rollins other than the fact that I think he's hot as hell.

Stumbleine
01-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Hot as hell and intelligent to boot. <3

Adam
01-23-2011, 06:28 PM
I think his hotness is indisputable. He's got the right amount of crazy, too.

Steve SFM
01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Eh. I didn't have a problem with any of those people. All that stuff seemed kind of lighthearted. And Rollins was kind of cute and vulnerable, because he seemed to be just some dorky guy trying to impress a girl and get into her pants.

One question, though. Does everyone in that fucking place have a band? ;l

Stumpy
01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
wtf Rollins is a legend, good on him for calling out someone for being a bit of a shit.

'Sexual AIDS' is also the least catchy, pseudo-shocking name for a band ever.

Cairn
01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
'Sexual AIDS' is also the least catchy, pseudo-shocking name for a band ever.

This is very true.

Octopussy
01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Get In The Van is a memoir by Rollins about his Black Flag days.

why would she yell that?

If I ever see Tori, I'm gonna be like "yo, PIECE BY PIECE!!!" and see what happens.

Gale
01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
why would she yell that?

If I ever see Tori, I'm gonna be like "yo, PIECE BY PIECE!!!" and see what happens.

LOLZ, I'll yell with you. Should be fun.

Stumbleine
01-23-2011, 11:34 PM
why would she yell that?

My guess: attention. That was probably the first (only?) thing that came to mind when she saw that he was there. I would have loved it if she had yelled "Solipsist!" though, I can only imagine the shit Rollins would have said to shut her up (From the all-seeing god Wikipedia: "metaphysical solipsists maintain that the self is the only existing reality and that all other reality, including the external world and other persons, are representations of that self having no independent existence" - put that in your pipe and smoke it, alleged hipster girl). I tried to read it once. It's still sitting on my bedside table, possibly with little bits of my brain matter sticking to it from when my head exploded upon trying to read it. I should probably give it another go.

Octopussy
01-24-2011, 12:09 AM
LOLZ, I'll yell with you. Should be fun.

us: "Piece by Piece, man, Piece by Piece!!!"

Tori: (running over as fast as she can in fabulous heels) "OH!! I SEE!!! Is this where the patriarchal powers-that-be try to get rid of Cornmothery, Magdalene types? HMMM???"

Adam
01-24-2011, 01:23 AM
" and they are there. and they WILL try to get you on your knees while you're balancing a glass of champagne and trying to navigate the social "mind" fields in your Louboutins. You see, I wrote a book called "Piece By Piece". It's very famous. A lot of musicians know it. But the thing is....I...I....I knew I was walking into that, and that's when you just have to say ( takes a deep breath) " I hope they are allergic to Chanel No 5, because they are going to go for the blood any minute now. You see, I'm not a patchouli girl. Maybe in my early twenties. Not now. And it's scary, and let's face it, we know how much these people like a woman in perfume. You may have to drag her back, but at least she smells sweet."

devnull
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
That clip only endeared him to me more. Fucking loved his "BRING IT" face when he heard the girl mock him. The difference between the hipster brats and him is that he doesn't try so hard to be cool, he just is cool. He's funny, smart, has lots of character, and cares about people other than himself.

How sweet is the Iranian woman? Gah! I want to hug her.

Mordecai
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
That clip only endeared him to me more. Fucking loved his "BRING IT" face when he heard the girl mock him. The difference between the hipster brats and him is that he doesn't try so hard to be cool, he just is cool. He's funny, smart, has lots of character, and cares about people other than himself.

I think that's totally true and obvious. And I don't at all want to defend her. My thought was why the hell go after such an easy target? And then to throw out the humanitarian nonsense with the Iranian woman? Please. He should be better than that. I'm sorry, you should be allowed to take the piss out on Henry Rollins without fear of retribution. *looks around for Henry Rollins*

How sweet is the Iranian woman? Gah! I want to hug her.

FOR REAL. <3

And imagine trying to explain the stupid intricacies of hipster anomie and posturing to someone who is used to earnestness and passion for art, and who suffered for those values? EGADS. Okay, so I forgive Henry, now that I think of it. :D

devnull
02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
I think that's totally true and obvious. And I don't at all want to defend her. My thought was why the hell go after such an easy target? And then to throw out the humanitarian nonsense with the Iranian woman? Please.

Because he's flawed. He's confrontational and has a quick temper. Like none of us have the same problems here... ;)

And imagine trying to explain the stupid intricacies of hipster anomie and posturing to someone who is used to earnestness and passion for art, and who suffered for those values? EGADS. Okay, so I forgive Henry, now that I think of it. :D

Exactly! Haha. I'd have said much worse to them myself. Sexual AIDS lakjsdaljhsdfajk FUCK OFF.

lacuna
02-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Fucking loved his "BRING IT" face when he heard the girl mock him. .

this one?
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/124/henryrollins.gif

It's like that prairie dog clip. dun dun duuuuuun!

Cunter Fartlett
02-03-2011, 03:49 AM
djfasdlkjfasl;dka;sd holy fucking shit that's awesome.

devnull
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
YES!

lacuna
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
okay, I got excited to make Henry gifs

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9990/henryrollinsburnyousoul.gif

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3683/henryrollinsdoubletake.gif

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1881887/hr-never-tell-a-lie-o.gif

http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1881913/hr-sucker-o.gif

jeth
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
MOAR ROLLINS! [post28]

lacuna
02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
I made this one too, but it's having problems showing up, at least for me it is/was.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1171/hrsucker4.gif

now I'm on a Rollins kick. Just pulled out Get Some Go Again.

Barbarella
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Good Gog, he is the sex! *wants*

.chris
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm going to see him tonight!

SisterErnestine
02-11-2011, 05:33 AM
I made this one too, but it's having problems showing up, at least for me it is/was.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1171/hrsucker4.gif

now I'm on a Rollins kick. Just pulled out Get Some Go Again.

Fucking rad!!!!! That's way awesome.

SisterE

Cairn
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm going to see him tonight!

Was he awesome?

.chris
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes! Intense as always. He spent the night telling stories of his travels around the world in between tours. It was really interesting and cool.

Cairn
02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Yay!