PDA

View Full Version : Assisted Suicide/Suicide Kits

Cunter Fartlett
04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
A 91 year old woman outside of San Diego CA is selling suicide kits online. She's purportedly making about 100k a year which means she's selling about 1600 kits annually. There are two states that have a Death With Dignity act which is mainly reserved for terminally ill people with no hope to die quietly and peacefully by lethal drugs. However, there are "healthy" (albeit mentally depressed) people buying these kits and offing themselves.

At first I thought "If you're wanting to die, then nothing is going to stop you." My sister tried several attempts over the years before finally being successful a few years ago. As sad as it was, it was actually a great relief in the end. We didn't have to go through the agony any more. She was gone and got what she wanted. I couldn't help but shed a few tears for the family of the young man referenced in this article though:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/13734_suicidekitsthe91yearoldwomansellinginstantdeathontheinternet

Zach didn’t discuss his brother’s reasons for killing himself, but Nick’s mother, U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aiken, told police he’d been running every day and had been in an upbeat mood, despite battling a severe cold over the past several weeks. Klonoski’s brothers told the Eugene Register-Guard that he’d battled bouts of pain and fatigue for years without a diagnosis, that he was depressed about the effect that had on his life, and that he was worried he’d never regain his normal health.

So I guess I'm curious as to what people think about physically healthy people with apparent mental issues offing themselves legally? Should this be illegal? Should the family sue the 91 year old woman? Is she doing the right thing? I have mixed feelings about it but would definitely like to hear some thoughts on it.

bootleg_ham
04-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Gun companies make money off guns, drug companies make money off selling drugs, home depot makes money selling rope... Everyone else makes money selling things the been used in suicides, what's the difference?

eednic
04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't know dude. You're aware of my sister's attempt and she just swallowed every single pill she could find in her house, all of which was either OTC or prescription and safe in normal doses. I guess I think if someone really wants to do it, they will. I guess that doesn't answer any of your questions/concerns, though. But Jsn makes a good point there: people are making money providing other "means" of suicide, so it's not unexpected to think someone would capitalize on it. Of course, those "means" aren't really marketed for that purpose, which is probably where the major difference lies. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people are purchasing them when it would be easier to do something else. Should the family sue the woman? Eh. I wouldn't. Tough questions Humpter!

toriMODE
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
It's a free country based on capitalism. I don't think the 91 year old should be sued. She's made a business for herself. It's up to us if we want to purchase her kits. It's up to us if we want to go through with suicide. If it wasn't her, then it'd be another means by which the suiciders would take their own life.

Gale
04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
It's a free country based on capitalism. I don't think the 91 year old should be sued. She's made a business for herself. It's up to us if we want to purchase her kits. It's up to us if we want to go through with suicide. If it wasn't her, then it'd be another means by which the suiciders would take their own life.

Well said.

devnull
04-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Failed suicide attempts can be extremely painful and make an already unlivable life worse. Death with dignity kits should be available to anyone who wants them. It's a basic human right to end one's own life no matter how uncomfortable it makes the survivors.

I'm tempted to order a kit myself just in case I ever need it. Not that I'm suicidal, but if I get diagnosed with something painful and terminal, I would absolutely go out on my own terms. I've told this to the people who care and my only worry is scoring enough quality morphine on the street in order to do the job. This kit is wonderful if it means we can die as painlessly as even our euthanized pets do.

Bastien
04-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Failed suicide attempts can be extremely painful and make an already unlivable life worse. Death with dignity kits should be available to anyone who wants them. It's a basic human right to end one's own life no matter how uncomfortable it makes the survivors.

I'm tempted to order a kit myself just in case I ever need it. Not that I'm suicidal, but if I get diagnosed with something painful and terminal, I would absolutely go out on my own terms. I've told this to the people who care and my only worry is scoring enough quality morphine on the street in order to do the job. This kit is wonderful if it means we can die as painlessly as even our euthanized pets do.

I completely agree with this. It's absolutely terrible people feel they need to take their life, but why should they not be allowed to do so? Depression can lead to some awful thoughts, and if someone feels they can't live anymore with it I respect their decision. You see all types of "attempted suicides" on the news where people have failed, and they may look deformed or have mental problems from the pills/drugs they may have taken. Painlessly would be the better way to go. So I don't agree she should be sued. She didn't force anyone to purchase the kits.

And in the case of terminal illnesses I can't fathom how anyone would be against their decision to just get it over with. Who wants to know they have sixth months to live and have to endure that type of emotional stress? You'd never be happy.

Cunter Fartlett
04-30-2011, 03:59 AM
^^I find it unbelievable that there are only two states out of the whole Union that allow death by dignity.

devnull
04-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I had no idea even two states allowed it! That's good to know. Which states?

Cunter Fartlett
04-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Oregon and Washington I believe.

I have no idea what it would be like to die by helium, but I'd probably recite a soliloquy on my way out. Sounding like a munchkin.

Zomino
05-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Oregon and Washington I believe.

Yup, I was proud to vote for it in 2010.

Cunter Fartlett
05-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I just looked it up to make sure I wasn't wrong and it seems Montana actually could be considered a 3rd simply because they don't have a law AGAINST it. Strange way of getting around it, but it looks like they're working on legislation to keep that in place.

Autumn
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I am not sure how I feel about this subject, but on 90210 they have approached this topic. The lady that Annie was cleaning for committed suicide on last night's episode because she had alzheimers. She had been researching assisted suicide. They live in California. The end.

Mordecai
05-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty anti-suicide myself. I agree with (poet/atheist/humanist/intellectual dreamboat) Jennifer Michael Hecht's views. Suicide is contagious. People who know people who killed themselves are far more likely to take their own lives. So suicide is a delayed homicide. What needs to be fixed is our mind-fuckingly dysfunctional society. We are too atomized these days.

http://thebestamericanpoetry.typepad.com/the_best_american_poetry/2010/01/on-suicide-by-jennifer-michael-hecht.html

tully
05-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Has anyone here seen You Don't Know Jack? I thought it was brilliantly done and while I have always been pro-death with dignity, it certainly cemented my beliefs. The main diffference, though, was that Kevorkian administered assisted suicide to terminal patients only -- he was very strict about the terms but recognized the difficulties of every person he saw.

Barbarella
05-04-2011, 02:57 AM
^^I find it unbelievable that there are only two states out of the whole Union that allow death by dignity.

Don't you know in America only God can decide!!!

Have you guys seen The Sea Inside? It's an amazing true story. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369702/

other pete
05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Suicide is contagious.

Exactly. This is completely different from supported euthanasia for people at the end of their lives, which I support 100%. This is like selling guns to drunk people who just got fired. And then loaning them a car. But hey, great profit margin.

Autumn
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Euthanasia_Coaster.jpg

The design starts with a steep-angled lift to the 500-metre (1,600 ft) top, that would take two minutes for the 24-passenger train to reach. From there, a 510-metre (1,670 ft) drop would take the train to 360 kilometres per hour (220 mph), close to its terminal velocity, before flattening out and speeding into the first of its seven slightly clothoid inversions. Each inversion would have a smaller diameter than the one before in order to inflict 10 g to passengers while the train loses speed. After a sharp right-hand turn the train would enter a straight, where loading of passengers and unloading of the bodies could take place.

clarion
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM

I agree with all of this. Had I know that something like this was available to me two years ago, I probably wouldn't be typing this post right now. Yet had I gone ahead and done it with the means available to me, there is no guarantee I would be dead. Luckily I got help - I'm not saying I'm fully better, but I no longer seriously contemplate or plan suicide.

Ultimately I feel that if you no longer want to go on living, you shouldn't have to, and you should have a better option than a gun/pills/razors/whatever.

Cunter Fartlett
05-26-2011, 02:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_suicide_kits_raid

They've raided the old lady's home and took all her supplies, intercepted 20 kits she had already sent out and they are charging her with mail fraud.

Lathan
05-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Mail fraud? It's not like she was advertising them as "Pillow Pets".

Kala
05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I'd like to see the federal government spend more time and resources keeping people alive who DON'T want to die.

Oh, and this:

Agents also seized Hydorn's computers and sewing machine, and her correspondence with individuals at the Final Exit Network, a group that has 3,000 members nationwide and provides support to people seeking to end their lives. :rolleyes:

Cunter Fartlett
05-27-2011, 04:23 AM
It was the tool of the devil!

So now they've got information on 3,000 people who want to off themselves.

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1307762&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1307762/surprised-hamster.html) GIFSoup (http://www.gifsoup.com/)

tully
05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!!! (I feel odd posting that comment in such a thread, haha.)

eednic
05-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Mail fraud? It's not like she was advertising them as "Pillow Pets".

Bwhahhahahahhaa!

"Hey....why does my pillow pet look suspiciously like a scavenger's daughter torture device?"