PDA

View Full Version : Getting Invited to Baby Showers...

SweetPea
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Do you go? Do you send a gift? Do you feel comfortable at these gatherings?

I have been invited to so many baby showers through the years and I am getting sick of going to them. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love my friends and I'm sure on some level I will love their kids (at least 1/2 the time ;) ) BUT I feel so uncomfortable at baby showers. Everyone is always talking about how they love having kids, ask me if I have any, when I say "no" they all smile and "kindly" ask me why... and you know the rest.

I just got another invite to my ... father-in-law's girlfriend's son's wife's baby shower (make sense?)... I like this girl, but I don't know her friends and I hate baby showers.

fullofwish
05-08-2011, 12:33 AM
I must admit that I often skip them, usually because I find them so overwhelming in goo-goo-gaa-gaa talk that it drives me mental. No-one at a baby shower wants to have a conversation about anything except that which is baby related and I am very rarely in the mood for that. I prefer to save up my baby talk for when there is an actual baby there who I can at least make funny faces at ;) And if you don't have kids (or are at least a clucky hen) then you end up being excluded anyway, by virtue of the conversation.

For a really good friend, I try and make the effort but for anything less, I'd make a polite (and feasible) excuse and then maybe say something nice about the photos once they make it onto FB ;l

Maeby
05-08-2011, 01:56 AM
I just got another invite to my ... father-in-law's girlfriend's son's wife's baby shower (make sense?)... I like this girl, but I don't know her friends and I hate baby showers.

I think you can get away with just sending a card, maybe a gift.

Becka
05-08-2011, 02:17 AM
I am not a fan of baby showers either. If it's a close friend or close family member I will go but everyone gets sent a card usually containing some sort of gift card (for groceries or take out). The only shower I've been to that I didn't want to attend in ages was because one of my friends threatened to cut me deep if I left her with all the cooing baby talk folk

jeth
05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I go to support whoever it is, and because I am hyper competitive and I always win at shower games. There has not been a shower (baby or bridal) that I've attended where I haven't won at least one of the games. That's probably the weirdest answer for why I continue to subject myself to these things, but there you go. I want that mystery bag of dollar store crap, damnit!

Chalk
05-08-2011, 04:16 PM
There's no tradition of "babyshower" around these parts, so thank fuck for that.

Gale
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I go to support whoever it is, and because I am hyper competitive and I always win at shower games. There has not been a shower (baby or bridal) that I've attended where I haven't won at least one of the games. That's probably the weirdest answer for why I continue to subject myself to these things, but there you go. I want that mystery bag of dollar store crap, damnit!

Haha! I won a baby name game a couple of months ago at a baby shower. Got a cheap-o candle holder and a complimentary hospital ink pen! Whoo!
I'm mainly there for the food (ahem, butter mints), but the games are a nice bonus. The rest is what I describe to be extremely perky -way too many "oohs" and "ahs" and smiles over baby clothes and pastel washcloths.

Cairn
05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't do baby showers as a general rule. I HATE them for the most part. I'll send a gift in casual circumstances, because, well, I just want to welcome new life. In situations where I really care about the mom, I'll make arrangement to visit her and the babe, bring gifts for both and food for mom within the first week or two based on the mom's needs.

Jeth, I LOVE that you go for sport! Talk about the right attitude. [post28]

SweetPea
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I rsvp'd with a "can't go"... thankfully ;) it's the same day as a big 30th Bday party for one of my best friends... I'll probably send a gift though, since I actually like this girl and her husband.