PDA

View Full Version : Building your own gaming PC

The Markness
06-08-2011, 01:19 AM
So, mainly due to the impending arrival of Skyrim and The Old Republic MMO, a gamer/techie friend of mine is helping me build a gaming PC. He's extremely knowledgeable, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a post about the topic and see if anyone has any do's, don'ts, or helpful anecdotes to share about building your own rig. :)

Dave
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I'd have some input for you, but after having seen how cheap it is to buy a really wicked gaming PC, I've opted to not bother to ever build or part together another PC again. It's just not financially sound for me anymore. All I can say is go HD and go for lots of RAM and maybe at least a quad core. Might as well make a machine that will do it's job for at least 5 years or more. I could have built a comp. years ago that would still trump a next-gen console.

How much are you looking to spend on the tower alone? Parts, excluding case. I'm interested to see how you go about this.

pan
06-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I did this once. Not having enough RAM was my issue.

Dave
06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Good thing it's (relatively) cheap these days. Of course, 8GB isn't exactly specific anymore. There's so many types of RAM now where 8GB of one type well perform like 16GB of another type. Still hoping to hear about how things are going!

The Markness
06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
The whole thing, ordering parts from newegg.com, is gonna come out to right around $600 (not counting a monitor, which I'll probably splurge on). I'm still learning the ropes of this whole process, but yeah, the conversations that my friend and I have had have mostly been about a) RAM and b) making sure the machine I'm building is going to be able to handle top-of-the-line releases for at least five years on. I'm really excited to have a game-worthy PC again, I need to catch up on a lot of franchises like Mass Effect (I can't play the console version of anything that requires cursor targeting, it's just not intuitive or natural for me as a player to do cursor targeting unless there's a mouse involved; also, my iMac is not a game machine in any sense of the word...playing Portal 2 on it was a little bit like death).

Dave
06-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Cool. So when do you hope to have this completed? Would you mind posting your items once you receive them?

The Markness
06-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Definitely! And I'm buying the different components piecemeal with each paycheck instead of putting it a on a credit card, so so I'm shooting for a deadline of mid-to-late August to have the whole thing assembled and up and running. (Right now the conversation the bf and I are having is: where do we put a third computer in our apartment? XD)

somAiroTevoLI
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
use one for a media pc for your living room!
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Dave
06-11-2011, 07:17 PM
^ TVersity is nice