PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting

Cunter Fartlett
06-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Everyone knows it's impossible to find a babysitter. I have gone through a few that were referred to me by people by I know, with no luck. They've either been unreliable or unavailable when I need them. I don't go out often and my boyfriend and I work opposite shifts, he during the day and I during the evening, so we usually just hand him off. But my boyfriend has been going out of town quite frequently which leaves me unable to work. As far as going out on our own, we rarely do. Maybe once a month/once bi-monthly when his niece decides she's not too busy to babysit.

I've looked on sites that you have to pay to join. I've looked on craigslist, but my boyfriend says no way would he hire someone from craigslist. I say it's the same thing as finding them anywhere, you check references. I've got two interviews with a couple of primary education majors, one female and one male. Would you hire a male? Would you hire someone off craigslist if you checked their references?

Em
06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd be more inclined to hire someone that is a parent themselves, male or female, references checked [and of course, location checked as well if they weren't coming to my house]. I say this as someone that has never hired a babysitter in my life... so I'm probably of no help. I feel your pain on the no alone time thing. It's really a shame that there isn't some sort of organization that regulates/background checks babysitters; leaving your child with someone you don't really know is just too scary for me. Male or female, anyone can turn out to be a creeper. [I know, again with the helpfulness from me!]

Cunter Fartlett
06-10-2011, 04:22 PM
I did find a few sites that do the background check for you, but the subscription is just as much as if I were to do it on my own. I'm talking $35.00 to $50.00 subscriptions and USSearch does a search for $16.95. Also, I would prefer a young person (college aged) because my son is extremely active...he needs baseball, scavenger hunts, basketball, riding bikes. I also thought it would be good to find an education student to work with him!

The thing is, every one always says "I wouldn't leave my kid with anyone I don't know" but I don't have any family here. I really have no choice lest I never ever go out or do anything on my own, or work when my boyfriend is out of town. There are tons of advertisements for group sitters around town, but I am actually more scared to leave him with a sitter and a group of kids that I don't know than an individual that would come to my house. I don't know why.

Frangipani
06-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I am very wary of babysitters. I've just heard too many horror stories. I would only hire someone from craigslist if they were cross referenceable on another site, but even then, I'd probably still not like it that they even had to advertise at bottom of the barrel craigslist.

BUT I have a 1yr old and I've never hired a babysitter. For me, the only thing I think I will be comfortable with is meeting another parent/friend who recommends one. Just having another human accountable for the referral that I can look (and judge lol) at is very important to me. My efforts are (as dreadful as it is) throwing myself into the parent social activities around me, I've already landed one name.

Jezebelle
06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I've hired babysitters; though my oldest is about to turn 4 and I only started using them about a year ago.

Check to see if any places/churches have a "parent morning out" program. Or your YMCA may have one too. That's what I've done - I have my boys scheduled in 2 mornings a week and then have the house to get chores and work done. Its usually very inexpensive and monitored. Good luck!

FaerieDreamer
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Have you tried going to a local rec center or YMCA? I don't know where you are, but our rec centers have "babysitter certification" programs, and then keep a list for referrals. That might be something that could help you.

Cunter Fartlett
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I put him in in a PDO but it ended last week! That was a nice break....must find summer programs! But of course, those aren't during the evening and that's when I work! I'll try the YMCA. I'm going to go ahead and interview these two people and check their references and things, but my bf is standing pretty firm on his opposition of craigslist sitters. Understandable I suppose, but I don't see the difference between that and finding one online elsewhere. I mean, either way you don't know them from adam.

Frangipani
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sure the only difference is that the other sites do background checks and host reviews on site.

Cunter Fartlett
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh, I didn't think about reviews! Maybe I should shell out the few extra bucks then.

Lo
06-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Where I live, Craig's List isn't considered the bottom of the barrel for babysitters and is used quite regularly. When I was in grad school I found several families to babysit for and it worked out great. I still keep in touch with them years later. Obviously they interviewed me, checked my references, watched me interact with their kids before they felt comfortable leaving me alone. You can also try Care.com.

I would not hire a male who is a stranger. I think it's sexist, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

Jezebelle
06-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Also, on craigslist - at the bottom corner, there is an area called "resumes" - that's where you'll find nannys and sitters who will upload their resumes for perusal. Also, contact local universities and see if they have any postings there.... they very well might!

Cunter Fartlett
06-11-2011, 04:30 AM
^^I didn't notice that!

Where I live, Craig's List isn't considered the bottom of the barrel for babysitters and is used quite regularly. When I was in grad school I found several families to babysit for and it worked out great. I still keep in touch with them years later. Obviously they interviewed me, checked my references, watched me interact with their kids before they felt comfortable leaving me alone. You can also try Care.com.

I would not hire a male who is a stranger. I think it's sexist, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

I don't frequent craigslist very often. I searched for furniture for my mom and I've checked the missed connections a few times. Those things are hilarious.

As far as hiring a male, I have no problem. I'm a male. Meesh has two dads. He gets along very well with guys. I am scared to leave him with a stranger, period. I did interview one of the kids today. He was very cool. He is a junior in college studying psychology with a emphasis on counseling and a minor in addictive studies or something like that. His resume includes two summer camps, and several vacation bible schools. He has done missionary work in Israel and Africa. I got five references from him and will call on those tomorrow. I am going to meet with the girl tomorrow as well. And then I will talk to the mate and see what he thinks. ba da bing, ba da boom.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lo
06-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Just to be clear, I think guys can be awesome babysitters. Especially for little boys. My cousins loved when I was busy and my husband babysat for them. I fully intend on using my male cousins as babysitters when I have kids. I don't like the idea of hiring a male stranger (for whatever messed up reason), but maybe I would change my mind if I interviewed someone awesome, as you seem to have.

Cunter Fartlett
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Hahaha, I called his references today, which were all glowing. Then the last guy (who is a youth minister for a particular student ministries organization here at Texas Tech) sort of threw me for a loop. The last question I asked them all was "would you leave your kids with him?" and the man said "I woudn't leave my kids with anyone other than my wife and my mom". That sort of made me feel like I was horrible for even thinking about leaving my child with a stranger. Sheesh.

Jezebelle
06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't leave my kids with a youth minister of any religious organization. EVER.

He's only a stranger the first time. Schedule an hour away; then two... see how it goes. What's your worry? What are the hours? How old is your child?

Cunter Fartlett
06-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't leave my kids with a youth minister of any religious organization. EVER.

He's only a stranger the first time. Schedule an hour away; then two... see how it goes. What's your worry? What are the hours? How old is your child?

My worry? I guess everything. Accidents, behavior, attentiveness, kindness or lack of and of course any chance of any kind of abuse. The hours I need are 6 pm to 10/10:30 pm M-F and he's four years old. I plan on getting a nanny cam, regardless.

Becka
06-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I'm not sure if they have them by the same name in the states, but here in Canaduh, we have what has been termed "Mother's Helpers". They pretty much come and mind the children while you're actually at home. My friend has a teenage girl that comes to her house a few times a week in the afternoon/evenings and she uses the time to do housework, study, cook dinner or have a nap -lol- It might be an easy way for you to get into the groove of having someone else watch the kiddo. We've never had to seek out people to watch Lucien because we have a pretty well established group of friends with children that we can call on if we need to. Check meetup.com to see if there are some parent groups in your area, joining one, getting to know some peeps might give you some backup on who to call or if anything they themselves might have a trusted source of babysitting

anj
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
maybe you can get some recommendations from the mom's group that you crash?

[[dance]]

Jezebelle
06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
My worry? I guess everything. Accidents, behavior, attentiveness, kindness or lack of and of course any chance of any kind of abuse. The hours I need are 6 pm to 10/10:30 pm M-F and he's four years old. I plan on getting a nanny cam, regardless.

The only thing that would concern me at that time is if the caregiver can get your child to sleep. But a 4 year old will let you know if the person did anything inappropriate. Your child may have an accident, show poor behavior and not be kind. I know mine have. But then they'll hear from an entirely different person that those behaviors are not good and that will, in turn, reinforce everything you say.

Now go on and make that money! :p

(only to turn around and pay half of it to your sitter. They're worse than taxes)