PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapering

Neeny
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Did any of you cloth diaper?

We are interested in cloth diapering for a number of reasons (environmental, chemicals in disposables, cost, etc) and I think we're going to go for it. Do any of you have any experience with it - good or bad? It's hard to make sense of all the different types - all in ones, fitteds, etc. It's all so confusing!

I know I'll need to go back to work, and I know a lot of daycare facilities won't use cloth. There is also a good chance that my mother in law will retire and will be our primary sitter (pot of gold right there!), so maybe daycare won't be an issue.

Stephanie
07-04-2011, 10:24 PM
We did cloth diapers and it was a great decision for us. We used Mother-Ease One Size (http://www.mother-ease.com/cloth-diapers/OneSizeDiapers). This is the type of cloth diaper that is an all cotton (or bamboo) fitted diaper with a separate cover. It's not a pocket. We got the "complete package" which is 24 diapers, 4 covers, 12 liners, and it was enough to only have to do the wash every 2 days as a baby and 3 days as a toddler. The one-size lasted us from when he was 4 months (when we got them) until he was potty trained at 3 yrs old. Can you say super cheap?! We got the organic cotton ones and some extra covers, I think we spent 500$, but that's it. We never bought another diaper ever again.

I know here in Ottawa, more and more cloth is becoming acceptable and daycares are open to using them. Especially if you use pocket diapers, that way the daycare can treat them like disposables except they throw 'em in your diaper bag instead of the trash.

I know most people prefer pocket diapers, but for some reason we had a lot of leaks with them. This isn't really the case with most people though. Try to find a good local place that sells a variety of cloth diapers in your neighborhood, and ask if they have a trial package that they will lend you. It will be a bunch of different kinds of diapers, from prefold, to fitted with covers, to pockets. You can try them all and see which you prefer. It's usually a 2 week trial (a bunch of stores have this program in my city, hopefully yours does too).

I would invest in a great pail with a lid that locks, and a wet bag that fits in it. It really stinks, so you want to lock that smell in LOL. Doesn't have to be a big pail, I think mine is about 2 ft high and when it was full, it was time to do a wash.

Washing is a breeze. Most people need to do a cold rinse, hot wash with "special" soap. Regular white vinegar in the rinse cycle of your wash is also great. Another warm rinse. The trick is to get rid of all the soap. The enemy of a cloth diaper is soap build up. Don't use regular Tide or anything like that. You'll want to use something like Nellie's (http://www.nelliesallnatural.com/) or Claudia's Choices (http://www.claudiaschoices.ca/store/) (my fave). Do not bleach. Do not use dryer sheets.

So yea, totally for it! It's waaaaay easier than you think.

Neeny
07-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Stephanie! I'll definitely look into the Mother-Ease diapers. The more I read about cloth diapering, the more I realize that not only is this something that is completely do-able, but something I would really prefer given the drawbacks of disposables.

I was looking into the trial at Jillian's Drawers (http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10) as well. I haven't had a lot of luck locally, but I've been focusing mostly online so I should try and see what's available around here.

Did you CD from birth? Also, did you ever use those biodegradable flushable liners, or was rinsing out the good stuff sufficient?

Last question! Did you use a top load or front load washer? Our friend had to get a new washer because she was using a front load and the super water efficiency of it wasn't getting the diapers clean even after several washes (the diapers were soaking up all the water). I've never had any issues with our washer, but I'm also not washing 20 super absorbent items, either.

Becka
07-11-2011, 12:16 AM
(i was just coming in here to say talk to Stephanie *L*)

We used BumGenius pocket diapers for a good portion of Lucien's diaper days as a baby and Chinese prefolds when he was super tiny. We have a front load washer and used Nellie's. Never had a problem with the soaking up (did a pre-rinse, hot wash, warm rinse, extra spin). I would also put tea tree oil in with the soap to help kill the stink

Andrea
07-11-2011, 04:15 AM
We did for the first three months until I went back to work and then phased them out. We used pockets mostly (Bumgenius, Happy Hienies, and Fuzzibuns). If you're going to be doing most of your buying online, check out Diaper Pin (http://http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp). They have a sales page that is kept very up to date with online vendors who are discounting stuff. And if you're not squeamish about buying used check out diaperswappers.com

Stephanie
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
We CDd from birth :) We started with Kissaluv fitted (with covers) and prefolds. I LOVED the Kissaluvs, as we got the right size they weren't bulky or anything. When he outgrew those we switched to Mother-Ease. The Mother-Ease one-size are awesome, and I would use that system again if we did it over, but they are quite bulky at first when baby is small.

We have the world's crappiest front-loader and washing was fine. If you have a newer one it'll be even easier. I have heard that some front-loaders add water based on the weight of the load, and that some CDers will add a wet towel to make the load seem heavier, therefore add more water.

I did have those flushable liners, but rarely used them. They didn't really work, they bunched up just like you would expect paper to do. I would always just do a swish in the toilet and throw the diaper directly into the diaper pail (right next to the toilet is the best place to store it).

stuper venus
07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I've been CDing for over a year and I'm actually thinking about giving it up. We use one-size pockets and my daughter has such skinny legs that it's super hard to get a good fit on her. And she pees a lot all at once, so she leaks all the time these days. :(

Stephanie
07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
That's the issue we had with pocket diapers, and it's why we switched to fitted + cover. Sorry it's not going so well for you. Maybe you can try a different brand? Just buy one, see how it goes? The resale on your used diapers is pretty good if they're in good shape.

anj
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
great thread!

i'm six and half months along and planning on cloth diapering. i'm planning on starting out using prefolds with some sort of cover. but the more i think about it, the more worried i am that the adjustment to having the wee one around and taking care of all that diaper laundry (most sites i see say 12 is an average number of diapers used by a newborn daily) will be a bit much for me. so now i'm looking into using a diaper service for the first little while. anyone have experience with a service?

i apologize if this is too off-topic.

[[dance]]

Stephanie
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't bother, but that's just my opinion. It's an extra load every 2 days, it's really not that bad. I'm as lazy as you can get and I didn't think it was that big of a deal. You'll be doing more laundry once the baby comes anyway, an extra load every 2 days doesn't make much difference. Not to mention it's quite expensive, at least here in Ottawa. A service made the price comparable to disposable diapers instead of being a saving.

Jessie
08-03-2011, 04:45 AM
I really really want to switch to cloth. I use Pampers Sensitives on my ten month old and he has a, what seems like permanent - bunch of eczema where the back of his diaper rubes. I can't get rid of it. I wish I would have started off with cloth from the beginning.

Does any cloth diaperers have a washer that runs on (expensive) propane? That is what I'm worried about. Our bill is already so high.

So it's usually about one load per week?

Antigone
08-07-2011, 03:33 PM
OMG I'm delurking. (I wanted to read the Tori info. Hi. I probably won't be back again for a bit.)

I've been using cloth diapers for four years. I like AbbysLane.com for buying (subscribe to her email newsletter for a discount code that changes every few months). I like Bum Genius. I am meh on FuzziBunz but they're fine. Its all about what fits on your baby. But it saved us a TON of money - I've bought used diapers, I've resold diapers, and you can't do either of those with sposies (and we have *always* used disposables at night and now use disposable pull-ups alongside cloth so...whatever works). I used to do a load every other day which eventually stretched out to about three times a week. I never found it to be more work and in fact I found disposables to leak/explode/have problems more readily.

Also check out diaperswappers.com and, if you're on livejournal, try to get into clothdiapering.livejournal.com.

Bye!

Stephanie
08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Jessie, you would probably do a load every other day for a baby, and every 3 days for a toddler. I wouldn't wait any longer than that even if you had more clean diapers. I would worry about mold or something really nasty happening to your diapers if you did it only once a week (not to mention you would need over 50 diapers, which gets expensive).

Neeny
08-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the links, Antigone. I've become obsessed, so I'm excited to check out some new sites.

I've been buying a few different types of diapers when I can find them on the cheap, just to see what works out for us. I got some Bum Genius pocket seconds and some newborn BG AIOs on cottonbabies.com for $6 - a real steal, especially since they're brand new. Sure, they're seconds, but with the exception of one teensy, barely visible ink dot near the gussets on one diaper, they all look like first rate quality.

I also picked up some used diapers at a cloth diaper garage sale one of the fancy boutiques here in town set up a few Saturdays ago. I got a few Thirsties, some prefolds, and a blueberry pocket to try out - all for less than $20. The deals are out there, that's for sure. I wish I knew what would work for little sprout right now so I could take advantage of some of these deals and really stock up.

If I can get myself inspired, I'll start making some cloth wipes one of these days. I figure that's probably easier than using disposable wipes anyway, since you can toss them in the pail with the dirty diapers. With disposable wipes, you'd need another stink controlled can to hold those. Since my house is only 1 bedroom/500 sq ft, I do not need something else taking up valuable space, thankyouverymuch.

Jessie
08-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Ok, thanks Stephanie. Good point about the mold.

Zomino
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm looking to order the complete package for my niece (on the way). Should I wait to determine the size for the cover or try to guess how big she will be?