PDA

View Full Version : The birds and the bees

FaerieDreamer
07-06-2011, 04:28 AM
I was thinking of putting this into the "funny things kids say" thread first...then thought about putting into "Being a parent is hard"... but I feel it kind of deserves this own thread.

So we went to the zoo on Saturday and in the lion exhibit, they had a male and female separate from the other lions. Xavier asked why and we said it was probably because they wanted to see if they could have lion cubs.

Xavier replies "oh yeah, so they want to see if the lions will make pee and lay eggs together to have babies."
Me: They'll do what?
Xavier: Make pee and lay eggs to have babies.
Me: oh...well, yes something like that. (bear in mind we are walking through the middle of the zoo!)

So now I see, he's getting some information from somewhere, but obviously not the right or complete info. But now it seems like the moment has passed and I don't know how to bring it up again. And even if I do bring it up again, what on earth do I tell an 8 year old boy?!?

HELP! How do you talk about this sex stuff with your kids.

Em
07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Just give it in the bite sized but honest chunks that they can handle. Kaiya started out believing that babies came from an egg in your bellybutton; we're now sharing sonogram photos of cell division up through 40 weeks. She still doesn't know exactly how it all works, but she seems satisfied for now.