PDA

View Full Version : GLEE

couldbemessy
06-16-2010, 11:28 PM
It seems to be big amongst the gays. I have tried watching it more than once, and, hmm, I mean I appreciate it, but don't really get it. Maybe this has something to with age? I'm 33...

The Markness
06-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I (gay man) don't get it, either, and I thought I was the only one. I get what THEY think they're trying to do, I just don't think they're doing it, and it mainly has to do with the poor quality of the writing/storylines (judgment based only on the first seven episodes, after which I gave up). The music is fun, though! (But seriously, stop Auto-Tuning Lea Michele, she doesn't need it!)

pancakefrompele
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
The music is one of the only reasons I watch the show, although I do enjoy occasional episodes. The second half of season one, however, just seems strange. I can't explain it, but there are so many WTF moments during the show that you literally start asking yourself, "Why the hell am I watching this?" Then a song starts, and you remember, "Oh, yeah! Pretty music!"

arsonist samael
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
I've seen the pilot and nope, not worth my time.

The Seaward
06-17-2010, 08:54 PM
the music is the LAST reason to watch the show. for me, the acting is better than the singing. the song choices are generally lame, and the performances are often awkward. when they stick to witty banter, i'm most happy. then again, i was (AM) a die-hard popular fan, so i enjoy ryan murphy's campy high school world.

SUE SYLVESTER 4 LIFE!!

The Markness
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
the music is the LAST reason to watch the show. for me, the acting is better than the singing. the song choices are generally lame, and the performances are often awkward. when they stick to witty banter, i'm most happy. then again, i was (AM) a die-hard popular fan, so i enjoy ryan murphy's campy high school world.

SUE SYLVESTER 4 LIFE!!

See, I LOVE Popular, but I can't get into Glee. I just don't think it's as sharp as Popular is/was.

Homogenik
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I watched the pilot and second episode I think and I didn't care for it. Like couldbemessy said, it could be a question of age. I'm 30 now and I don't care for this kind of show at all. I can see why it is popular though.

Blackie
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
It's pretty fun, but overhyped I'd say.

Faust
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM

SUE SYLVESTER 4 LIFE!!

This is how I feel about it. I only watched the fall half of the season, but when I get around to, I'll go and watch the spring portion.

blissgurl
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems to be big amongst the gays. I have tried watching it more than once, and, hmm, I mean I appreciate it, but don't really get it. Maybe this has something to with age? I'm 33...

I'm 33 and I love it. I think it is the quirkiness of the show that draws me in.

wout
07-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm 33 and I love it as well :)

There are plenty of naff moments that just don't work, especially in the last few episodes where they get all too mushy sometimes, but goddamn sometimes it knows to strike just the right tone and when it does it's absolutely wonderful. Kurt especially has some great scenes.

And the music is [post28] I still play the soundtracks a lot in the car!

spyk_
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
for me, the acting is better than the singing.

I completely disagree with this statement. The singing is the only good thing about it.

Tellurium
08-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Eh, I actually think the writing has its moments. It just doesn't have enough of them, and the ones it does have all end up on my Facebook news feed within an hour. Between that, and having the musical highlights available on iTunes, I don't really see much point in watching it anymore.

My friends and I used to have "Glee Nights" whenever a new episode came on. We'd all get together and catch up, order pizza or whatever. And it was a blast. But since I've moved away I've realised that I really don't enjoy the show very much at all, it was all about the event that surrounded it for me. Still, I don't begrudge the show its success, as it does have a lot of real talent involved. Although the fact that season 2 casting is going to be done via reality shows just makes my heart hurt.