PDA

View Full Version : But is it art?

beanstew
08-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Thread for links, piss taking and sometimes admiration of anything loosely under "modern art" banner.

Woman injects herself with horse blood, wears hooves (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-08/10/horse-blood-artist)

Marion Laval-Jeantet has injected herself with horse blood plasma as part of an artistic project exploring trans-species relationships.

Laval-Jeantet and her creative partner Benoit Mangin (working as collective Art Orienté Objet) were keen to explore the blurring of boundaries between species in the piece, entitled May the Horse Live in Me. Laval-Jeantet prepared her body to accept the horse blood plasma by getting injected with different horse immuniglobulins over the course of several months.

These foreign animal antibodies were injected in progressively larger amounts to allow her to build up tolerance in a process that she referred to as "mithridatisation", after the Persian king of Pontus, Mithridates VI, who supposedly built up an immunity to poison by regularly consuming small doses of it.

Earlier this year, after months of preparation, she was injected with horse blood plasma, which contained the full spectrum of immunoglobulins without provoking an allergic reaction.

As part of the performance piece she also wore a set of stilts with hooves on the end to feel at one with the horse. She also walked around with donor horse in a "communication ritual" before having her hybrid blood extracted and freeze-dried.

She explained to Centre Press that whole process made her feel "hyper-powerful, hyper-sensitive and hyper-nervous". She added: "I had a feeling of being superhuman. I was not normal in my body. I had all of the emotions of a herbivore. I couldn't sleep and I felt a little bit like a horse."

Art Orienté Objet have a long history of working in the bioart space, having created other pieces including Skin Culture, which uses bioengineered skin as a canvas for animal-shaped tattoos.

Check out the performance piece of the project in the video above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_E4DUWXbE&feature=player_embedded

Trying to work out whether that's a hoax or not.

Em
08-10-2011, 03:33 PM
*smh*

Cuddlefish
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, in her defense, without actually seeing the performance, how can we say it's art or not?

It's like saying, "I saw this painting, and all it was was some broad with this weird little smile. Nothing special about it, how is that ART?!"

SweetPea
08-10-2011, 05:09 PM
From Dictionary.com

art1    
[ahrt] Show IPA
–noun
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
(in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
a branch of learning or university study, especially one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
arts,
a.
( used with a singular verb ) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.
b.
( used with a plural verb ) liberal arts.
skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
studied action; artificiality in behavior.
an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
Archaic . science, learning, or scholarship.

So, it could be "art"... but that doesn't mean it is good "art"

Corinthe
08-11-2011, 04:01 AM
At this point I can only try to engage in what she's trying to offer, but it's really her own personal experience as modern art tends to be solely about the artist and their expression, does it matter if I get it? After having tried to do just that, I can say it doesn't really move me, instead it feels a bit placebo on her part, there's really no way for me to verify that what she's stating is in some way accurate to the experience, rather what she thinks she's experienced, which I'm now more focused on and not so much what her intended statement is, unless that is somehow her statement.

I always find it to be a bit of a guessing game with these types of art, at least in the gallery there's usually a blurb so I can see if I got it right.

Where does modern art find its place in modern society? I'm curious as I'm really not up to the latest in the modern art world, I really don't know what goes on as it never seems to have much impact on me or my life. Which isn't to say I'm not studied in any way, I do enjoy going to museums and such. I guess I can appreciate the color scheme of this piece along with the textures used?

Em
08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Maybe this will show how closed minded I can be, but I'm so incredibly sick of people inflicting their stupidity on animals and society at large and calling it "art." Injecting yourself with horse plasma doesn't make you "trans-species" and "feeling like a herbivore" is something any vegetarian can do every day. It's attention whoring at its worst, and she needs a new fucking hobby because this one is clearly stupid.

Kala
08-11-2011, 05:16 AM
I had a feeling of being superhuman. I was not normal in my body. I had all of the emotions of a herbivore. I couldn't sleep and I felt a little bit like a horse.

Well, then calling this statement "horseshit" is applicable.

Lágnætti
08-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Maybe this will show how closed minded I can be, but I'm so incredibly sick of people inflicting their stupidity on animals and society at large and calling it "art." Injecting yourself with horse plasma doesn't make you "trans-species" and "feeling like a herbivore" is something any vegetarian can do every day. It's attention whoring at its worst, and she needs a new fucking hobby because this one is clearly stupid.

Yeah, all of the above.

SweetPea
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
You've all said pretty much what I am/was thinking about this shit. And that's what it is, shit. This may make me sound old or boring or whatever, but I'm with Em on this... I don't find this kind of shit even remotely creative. It's weird. It's a hint that this person may have some sort of mental issue, imo. Whatever happened to experiencing something from the "outside"? Ya know, observing, researching, and things of that nature? I would imagine that the great artists that have celebrated nature and the animals of our planet and their surroundings didn't go out and sample horse blood, fuck a tree, or bury themselves neck deep in a bog for the sole purpose of "experiencing" nature... I mean, I'm sure there were some weirdos in the past who did such things, but they would be just that "weirdos". Why can't she just go out and sit/watch horses and then record her experience in whatever medium she'd prefer? Write it down. Paint it. Draw it. Act it out. But this? No. No thank you.

I'm sorry, I'm rambling... this is just mind-boggling to me. I guess I don't "get it".

Owen
08-11-2011, 07:44 PM
;l;l;l I can't dot you, Pea, but I couldn't agree more. <3 Beezy be cray cray, that's what I think.

uncanny hats
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Huh.

Performance abstract
Nope.

There are really people doing challenging and creative stuff out there. This just looks like failed idea, not that it matters, cos she'll continue getting grants. I mean I understand that alter-modernism was supposed to become vogue, but you know what? No one really liked the furries for more than 2 seconds, too. Somehow, furries are more creative than this. That's creepy.

Bloody Grace
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't care if it's art or not, all I know is that I dislike it a lot and I really think people who call themselves artists for doing such things have a big amount of time to waste. I actually hate the words "artist" "creative" "creativity" and such, they're abused and too often used just to make one look cool.