PDA

View Full Version : All Things Tennis!

Pages : [1] 2 3

menju56
06-17-2010, 01:45 PM
An all things tennis thread.

Wimbledon starts next week and I for one am looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe. Been reminiscing by looking at old YouTube clips.

iamstilljamiepoo
06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Me too!
That Roddick/Federer match was epic!
I don't think Roddick can do that again, though.

menju56
06-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I so wanted Roddick to win. I like Federer but I did not like how he wore this cardigan with '15' emblazoned on it, packed before he knew he was going to win. (It was his 15th Grand Slam.)

http://www.daleisphere.com/wp-content/uploads/wimbledon2009federers15slamdesignercardigan.jpg

menju56
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Wimbledon draw out today. Some interesting match-ups and potential clashes. A Federer/Roddick semi-final in the offing; possible fourth round between S. Williams/Sharapova and Henin/Clijsters. Excited! :)

Here's Venus looking very nice at the Wimbledon player party - also her 30th birthday!

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/102183287.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5BBE8E2AE257AF7F7C3CF838ECCCF32FC25B368C86D4076C0

menju56
06-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Fascinating article about life on the WTA Tour
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/19/wimbledon-womens-tennis-emma-brockes

I thought that reports it was unfriendly were a bit of a myth. It seems not. Strings-cutting! Lunch voucher stealing! Bitchiness in the locker room! It sounds horrible.

JonBcn
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Yay, Wimbledon time!

This will be the first year since 2001 that I havent been there in person; thank god for the BBC and their six-screen streams. not sure who I want to win. I'd like another Federer-Nadal classic (as there's no finer sight in tennis), but I'd also like to see Murray do well. I'm not a huge fan, but let's have him Wimbledon once so at least we can get all this 'no British winner since Roman times' nonsense out of the way. On the women's side, it's difficut to foresee anyone not named Williams lifting the trophy, though it'd be nice for a change. Of course, Henin came back with the stated intention of winning Wimbledon. She won the piffly s'Hertogenbosch title yesterday, but not that in the style that she really should have, if she expects to win Wimbly, and could face Clijsters in the fourth round.

About that Federer '15' thing; he's done a few things like that in recent years that have led me to go off him a bit. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and I can completely understand that it must be difficult not to cross it if you've had his level of success, but one of the things I like most about nadal is his humility.

menju56
06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Interesting first day at Wimbledon - Federer a whisker away from losing in the first round. Down two sets with opponent Falla serving for match. But he came through, as champions do. Entertaining one. And Djokovic vs Rochus was good, finishing under the lights of the Centre Court roof at 11pm. In the women's Schiavone is out but I wasn't too surprised at that one. Oh and Lindsay Davenport has joined the BBC commentary team and she's great!

menju56
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Longest match in tennis history. John Isner v Nicolas Mahut, 59-59 in the final set. 10 hours of play in total - longer than Serena Williams' seven wins at Wimbledon last year put together. Most games in a match, longest set in a match, most aces in a match - and it's still going. They've stopped play due to darkness but it's back tomorrow at 59-59. Incredible!

JonBcn
06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
How amazing was that? I was watching from about 20-20 and it just went on forever. It's a pity they've had to go on into a third day, because neither one of them is going to be in a fit state to do much damage in the draw after this (and this is only a first round match, some players are already into the third round). It's a pity one of them has to lose, but I hope Mahut can take it - Isner's tennis is soooo boring. Mahut also won a 24-22 final set in qualifying last week!

iamstilljamiepoo
06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I guess it's that annoying American solidarity thing that makes me want Isner to win. That said, he looked like a hurting unit (and rightfully so), wheras Mahut looked like he just got out there!

Isner is kind of boring to watch. His type of game is one that makes me not want to watch men's tennis.

ej
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Holy God. FINALLY over. Isner wins it, 4-6, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 70-68.

JonBcn
06-24-2010, 04:42 PM
To me, Isner always looks like he's whacked out on valium. Perhaps its the altitude.

menju56
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
INSANE.

I feel so bad for Mahut. Good player, should be higher than No.148. Isner does look a little whacked out, for sure. The whole thing was just quite incredible really. An 11-hour tennis match.

Oh and the Queen came to Wimbledon for the first time in 33 years today! Andy Murray and Jarkko Nieminen bowed (she was in the Royal Box for their match) and then after the match they went up to the balcony area for a chat with Liz.

She also met the top women British players and then Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova, Jelena Jankovic, Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, and Roger Federer. Was fun seeing them all lined up and bowing and curtseying and trying not to shit themselves. Roger looked very dapper.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10399688.stm

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/102364918.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6DDD1C1B50F2778AB4045656C4E1E161CB87987852631BE28

menju56
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Yet more drama. Victor Hanescu spits at crowd, quits match, four people arrested.

There's something in the water down there at Court 18.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8764203.stm

JonBcn
06-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Apparently they were shouting racial slurs at him in Romanian (basically calling him a 'gypsy', which for them is like using the N-word).

I'm a bit torn here, Hanescu is the last player I'd ever expect to behave like that, but on the other hand if it's true, I think that if he can be provoked into that sort of behaviour by a bit of name-calling, perhaps he needs to have a look at his own view of gypsies?

menju56
06-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah all the commentators said it was really out of character. Apparently he asked the umpire to do something, the umpire didn't, the heckling continued, and then the spitting occurred.

Monday's fourth round looks tasty. The pick of the men's for me looks like Djokovic vs Hewitt, and on the women's there's Henin vs Clijsters and Serena vs Sharapova (which I thought could be great but I have a feeling it might be a Serena rout; Sharapova looked less than convincing today.)

iamstilljamiepoo
06-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Rafa almost went down today. Saw the trainer a lot. Makes you wonder if he can get much further. Knee troubles? Maybe.

menju56
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Jennifer Capriati overdose

Former tennis world number one Jennifer Capriati has been rushed to the hospital following a reported overdose.

According to US website TMZ, paramedics responded to a call from a hotel in Riviera Beach, Florida on Sunday morning.

Capriati is said to have been later rushed from the hotel to a nearby hospital.

According to the star's father Stefano, the Olympic gold medal winner is in a stable condition and ‘recovering well’.

Capriati won 14 career titles, including three Grand Slams. She also won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.

menju56
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
WTF! Roddick out, Venus and Clijsters out. WEIRD women's semi-final line-up.

menju56
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
And now Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova playing invitational doubles!

JonBcn
07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
I loved watching Navratilova/Novotna vs Martinez/Tauziat the other night. Navratilova was still the best player on court, even being 15 years older than the rest and recovering from breast cancer. Seeing four women at the net, all of whom have single handed backhands was a joy to behold.

So, Federer out yesterday. I didnt like his sour grapes "oh, actually I've got lots of injuries, didn't I mention it before?".

This is probably the best chance Andy Murray will ever get to win Wimbledon, but he has Nadal to face next. Win that, and he'd be the favourite in the final.

iamstilljamiepoo
07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I loved watching Navratilova/Novotna vs Martinez/Tauziat the other night. Navratilova was still the best player on court, even being 15 years older than the rest and recovering from breast cancer. Seeing four women at the net, all of whom have single handed backhands was a joy to behold.

So, Federer out yesterday. I didnt like his sour grapes "oh, actually I've got lots of injuries, didn't I mention it before?".

This is probably the best chance Andy Murray will ever get to win Wimbledon, but he has Nadal to face next. Win that, and he'd be the favourite in the final.

I'm with you on Federer's reaction. Take your loss gracefully. He didn't, really.
I am really excited because Lindsey Davenport is part of the professional tennis team in my city this summer. And Venus is coming next week!

Back to Wimbledon, I think Murray is due to beat Nadal.

uskidsknow
07-01-2010, 03:02 PM
So glad for Zvonareva. I've always really liked her.

menju56
07-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Definitely. I love the invitation doubles event, it's fun but you can still see they're great players.

Federer's attitude was really disappointing. I liked Venus' press conference after the Pironkova loss, she said "I never talk about injuries," so she doesn't use that as an excuse if she does have injuries. I think for anyone who thought Berdych won because Federer was injured saw his talent today; his win over Djokovic was vindication enough. I'm glad he's finally made this breakthrough.

In the women's, I was impressed by Pironkova and Kvitova. Pironkova's got a very unorthodox game, and Kvitova is a powerful lefty who hits some amazing shots. I think they can do well if they maintain the consistency. To think Pironkova had never made it past the second round of a Grand Slam and Kvitova had never won a match on grass ever!

I'm with you on Federer's reaction. Take your loss gracefully. He didn't, really.
I am really excited because Lindsey Davenport is part of the professional tennis team in my city this summer. And Venus is coming next week!

Back to Wimbledon, I think Murray is due to beat Nadal.

That is exciting!

Nadal was too good today. Murray played OK but Nadal was on another level. Murray's interview after was so miserable, monotone and annoying. Djokovic lost too but in his interview he was articulate, gave a lot of credit to Berdych, and was generally a good loser. Not saying Murray was a bad loser, but my GOD lighten up a bit!

So glad for Zvonareva. I've always really liked her.

Yeah it's good. I'm excited we have a couple of first-time major finalists in Berdych and Zvonareva. I think Serena will be too much but I'm hopeful for a good final. One of my all-time favourite matches was the Venus vs Davenport 2005 final.

menju56
07-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Congratulations to Serena and Rafa

http://livelyindepthmusicentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/00-wimbeldon-ball-7609.jpg?w=594&h=412

http://livelyindepthmusicentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/00-wimbeldon-ball-7.jpg?w=592

Thought the finals were disappointing, but as a whole I thought the tournament was absolutely fantastic. Roll on the US Open!

entropy
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Yay, Wimbledon time!

About that Federer '15' thing; he's done a few things like that in recent years that have led me to go off him a bit. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and I can completely understand that it must be difficult not to cross it if you've had his level of success, but one of the things I like most about nadal is his humility.

Federer is a smug arrogant ass. There are some funny facebook groups of similar minded people. Of course he is Swiss, so he must be perfect. :cool:

menju56
09-02-2010, 09:41 PM
US Open is here.

Anyone watching?

menju56
10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Elena Dementieva announces retirement
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9140779.stm

Sad. I thought she was great.

iamstilljamiepoo
10-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Me, too. I would always root for her unless she was playing a favorite player of mine.

Speaking of which:care to name any favorite players?

Right now I am a a big fan of Caroline Wozniaki, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick, John Isner and someone whose name has escaped me.

menju56
10-30-2010, 04:20 PM
People on Twitter are saying that Venus and Richard Williams are about to hold a press conference, rumoured to be a 2011 retirement announcement. Hope not!

I like all those you mentioned, plus I also enjoy watching Francesca Schiavone, lots of variety and flair. Of the top men, I just can't bear Andy Murray.

JonBcn
10-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd be very surprised to se venus bow out before the 2012 Olympics.

Sad to see Dementieva go as she was a great sportswoman, but I never really warmed to her play. There was something that irked me about her not being able to serve for the first ten years of her career. It's not that hard to learn to throw a ball up in the air.

Years ago, I could have given you great lists of favourite players, but these days its tough to name just a few that I'll always try to catch. On the men's side I'd say Nadal and Mikhail Youzhny, and on the womens Schiavone, Date Krumm and Martinez Sanchez.

menju56
10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
I loved it when someone said, re Dementieva's serve, "it would be quicker to walk around the net and hand the ball to the opponent." ;l Her motion underwent many changes and looked deeply odd at the end. She was fortunate she had a strong game aside from the serve.

I also enjoy Nadal and also agree about Date Krumm - what an inspirational story! Thomas Muster seems to be launching a proper comeback in 2011 at the age of 43!

JonBcn
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
He was my favourite player once! I wonder what his objectives are; I really would be amazed to see him get past Challenger level, ranking-wise, but would love to see him play at Roland Garros again.

seso
11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Clijsters won the masters ! Very nice - but what a shame about Dementieva retiring. I loved watching her, cuz she was such a good runner, but once I laughed my head off during a match she played against Sharapova. I don't remember how many time she double faulted on her serve, but it was A LOT. At times, she even started to laugh at it herself too - a shame really, cuz it really gave Sharapova the chance to grab the match and go for the win

as for players I look out for : always Nadal, Ancic and Fernando Gonzalez too, but those last two already seem half retired because of injuries. I also have a strange thing for Ernests Gulbis - don't know why exactly, but I like his looks

as for the ladies - guess that Lindsay Davenport will always be my fav, but at the moment I like to watch Peer, Date Krumm and sometimes Bartoli. I also like Tamarine Tanasugarn, but I haven't had many chances to see her play

menju56
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Justine Henin retires, for second time (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9377012.stm)

menju56
03-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Serena Williams health scare

Tennis ace Serena Williams had a health scare this week after being rushed to hospital with a blood clot on her lungs.

On Monday, the 29-year-old was forced to seek emergency treatment at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles for haematoma - a pooling of blood caused by a haemorrhage.

Only the night before she attended the Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party.

Her publicist Nicole Chabot released the following statement to People magazine:

'Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment at Cedars for a haematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation.

'Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism [a blood clot in the lungs] which was discovered upon her return to L.A.

'She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot.

'Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications.'

The former world number one has been forced to take time away from playing tennis after undergoing surgery for a foot injury in July when she cut her foot on broken glass at Wimbledon.

However, she was aiming to return to the court after the extended break in time for the French Open in May.

She had been spotted in the medical centre several times over the past week but her condition took a dramatic turn on Monday.

She is currently ranked at number 12 in the world and has won 37 WTA titles.

Doctors are continuing to monitor her condition.

seso
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
just been watching part of the Sharapova Peng match - boy, Sharapova hit one double fault whilst serving after the other ; she seems to be replacing old style Dementieva.

Volta
03-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Love that Maid Marion is in the semifinals :)

seso
03-18-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't know how to feel about Bartoli. In a way, I think she's a welcome addition to the tour just cuz she's different and seems to follow her own path and style.

on the other hand I saw her acting nasty to players when she lost, like totally ignoring them

Volta
03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Seso,
I just pull for the underdog, a little. She has had some impressive results. She is a Wimbledon finalist, not a lot of players can say that, so I guess I shouldn't feel too sorry for her. But she isn't exactly the fittest player and with that awful service motion... it's cool to see a player with so much against her just up and make it happen.
I am not a Sharapova or Wozniaki fan. Actually, as far as Wozniaki goes, I am glad to see her being more aggressive and going for winners. She was content to just be a human backboard and let the other player make mistakes for her wins. And there is nothing wrong with that. If it works.. it works, but she is not going to win a major doing that with the likes of the William's sisters, Li Na, Clijsters and Zvonereva. I feel like she is so used to winning matches that way, that when she is up against a big hitter on the big stage it all just leaves her.
I think she is going to win Indian Wells. Without any doubt. If Sharapova can actually get her serve in.. then maybe it will be competitive.

seso
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I know the feeling Volto - in being a late Davenport fan, I always felt like I was pulling for the underdog too. I seem to like players that have something inperfect about them. Maybe that was what fascinated me about Bartoli - but then I saw her behaving so rude. I just could not see the reason why so I guessed it would just be a bad day, but to me, it seemed inapproriate - but then again, I've also seen her lose without a problem, so maybe I just need to let it go

Volta
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I've seen the mean streak you're talking about before. I guess I just stomach it more because I hardly see her matches televised. Her unorthodox game can really be interesting.. when she is hitting flat ground storkes with all those angles... that two-handers on both sides just get.. Peng Shaui is in that category too. Now, with Andy Roddick, I was a huge fan. He practically kept American tennis relevant on the men's side all by himself in the middle 2000's. Blake, too, at times (I can't leave him out). But, there was always that babyfied side of him that I just couldn't stand. He was no Mcenroe when it came to arguing with the umpire, and it almost always cost him the match. Now, and I know this sounds silly, but ever since he lost that extra weight, he has been unbearable. I don't like him. He just takes it too far. He deserved a point penalty the other night, but if I were that umpire I doubt I would have given it either. Andy would have completely lost his mind. But, you know, who am I to be critical of an athlete who is probably singing their swan song, so to speak. He probably won't continue after the Olympics and all the pressure, and especially so when he has like 50 break points and can never capitalize on one against players lower in caliber than Roger, Rafa, and Novak. He's losing a lot of ground. Already, his serve is going down in mph.. and that forehand, that was such a weapon, is hit with so much spin it just sits up to be killed. Yea, I guess I can see why he loses it out there. But it isn't pretty.
I don't feel similarly with Serena, and I think that is because for some reason she never has crowd support. So when she flips out, I think it is more of a rebellion, in general. The fans always cheer for her opponent, especially is Paris, (not in the US Open final against Jankovic - that was the last match I remember the crowd going crazy for her) and my God, the woman has tried everything she can to impress the French fans. Andy almost always has the crowd behind him. He gets away with a lot.

Volta
03-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not an Ivanovic fan, either, but I was really impressed with her, especially her serve at Indian Wells. I have the same motion. I toss it way to the right and always have to chase after it. I can never get it over my left shoulder and kick out wide to the backhand. When I see her hitting 114mph aces left and right, and second serves to Jankovic's backhand.. it gives me hope. You can get a good serve from time to time with a toss that you pretty much always have to slice to the forehand. It is possible.

Volta
03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Go Bartoli!!! Take out the Woz.

PurplePerson
03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I can't bear to watch Bartoli, she just seems soooo weird!

Agree that Wozniacki needs to become more agressive if she is to win a slam.

Djokovic just kicked out Federer for the third time this year, hope he doesn't fall apart against Nadal in the final!

Volta
04-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Azarenka won Miami. She beat Sharapova in the final. It was a pretty good match. Sharapova is back in the top ten rankings.. been a while, not been in the top 10 since 2009.
Djokovic vs. Nadal tomorrow in the Men's Final. Let's go, NOLE!

Volta
04-10-2011, 06:25 AM
It's the beginning of the Clay Court season. Wozniaki and Vesnina (Vesnina into a large tournament final - wow) will play for the Family Circle Cup title in South Carolina.
I don't know who is into the Houston Clay Court final on the men's side. I will know in a minute.. still watching the recorded matches on The Tennis Channel.

seso
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I watched the first set between Hantuchova and Schavione from the WTA Rome event, with Hantuchova playing really well. She kinda intruiges me - so thin, almost seems to fragile, but looks like she can hit quite hard. She always makes a kind of nervous impression on me, but not for this set - well except for the end maybe, when she had to serve out for the set and Schavione broke her.

Volta
05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
seso^ Hantuchova is into the Strasburg semifinals. She had a good win over Petrova (And we all know Petrova can play on clay).

FRENCH OPEN DRAW IS OUT (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html)

Second Major of the year!! Oh yeah!

seso
05-20-2011, 05:29 PM
good for the girl

my bet Sharapova is gonna win the ladies title this year

seso
05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
spotting cuties at Roland Garros - Lukas Rosol looks kinda cute, and Arnaud Clement just caught my eye too

Volta
05-27-2011, 08:56 PM
seso, Hantuchova just had the biggest win of her career. She took out Wozniacki (world #1 and #1 seed) in the third round of the French Open. First win over a #1 ranked player. It was quite the upset.
Now, the top 2 seeds are gone and last year's finalist Stosur lost to Dulko today. What a first week on the women's side.

seso
05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
what a bunch of upsets - first Clijsters, now Wozniacki and Stosur, who's next ? Good for Hantuchova to continue her good form like this

I fear Nadal won't win this year - from what I've seen from him, he's just not playing as good as he used too

Volta
05-28-2011, 01:28 AM
I would never count Nadal out. Djokovic still has to get past Del Potro, and that is going to be a job. Federer... I just don't see him ever beating Nadal on clay.

I have no idea who is going to win the women's title. Azarenka or Zvonereva I think are the favorites.. Kuznetsova is just cruising along.

seso
05-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Patty Schnyder has retired from tennis

Volta
05-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Patty retired? I know she is in the doubles in Paris.

Mauresmo tried to come back for mixed doubles.. but the ITF wouldn't let her because of doping rules.

EDIT: I just read about Patty. She was a heck of a player. She put all kinds of lefty loop and spin on the ball. I will miss seeing that buggy-whip forehand.
My fav Patty memory is when she played Cochita Martinez at Amelia Island or Charleston and refused to give the ball Conchita wanted back.. and the two cussed each other through the match.. and Patty gave her the fake hand shake and called her that nasty word at net. lol.

Volta
05-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Zvonereva is out of the Women's side. So the top 3 seeds are gone at the French Open. wow.
If Azerenka or Sharapova are going to win this clay court title.. this is perhaps their best shot.

Volta
05-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Brave Fabio Fognini!!

I've never seen anything like it.. Fabio Fognini was cramping and down 5 match points in the 5th set.. he didn't even know he was entitled to a medical time-out.. the chair had to come down and tell him.. he could barely stand, and had like a zillion foot faults (because he couldn't push off his left leg).. and he wins the match! INCREDIBLE!

All he could do was keep the points short go for the winner right away, swing for the fences. AND IT WORKED. 11-9 in the 5th. Can't believe what I saw. Never seen a match like it.

seso
05-29-2011, 06:05 PM
what a great tiebreak in the match between Hantuchova and Kuznetsova - I thought Kuznetsova was going to win because of experience and being better at keeping her nerves under control, but Hantuchova took it

Volta
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
But Kuznetsova won the war. Beat her in 3-sets.

I was so upset with Jankovic. She had so many chances to come to net and take those slices out of the air. But.. Schiavone came up with awesome serves when she needed them.

seso
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
she was rather impressive. I felt like it had been a while since I saw her play that good again

Volta
06-02-2011, 04:11 AM
Na Li vs. Maria Sharapova in Semifinal #1 - too close to call. Both are really big hitters. There isn't much contrast. They are both going to go for winners and probably make the same amount of errors. I feel tiebreaks at some point.

Bartoli vs. Schiavone in Semifinal #2 - well, I have a feeling Maid Marion will hit Frankie off the court... but Frankie owns their head to head and has taken some really easy sets off of her. They have totally different games. Marion is aggressive and Frankie is great at defense and can come over the short ball to hit winners, too. Very contrasting styles.
It is still impressive that Bartoli is in the semis.. hasn't been a French player here since Mary Pierce back in the day.. and Mary Pierce was not French born.. Marion has said many times her dream is to play in the final of Roland Garros. She is one match from it. I think if she just takes Frankie's slice backhands hard up the line, she can pass Frankie at the net. But if Frankie serves like she has been.. not much Marion will be able to do. She has to get a lot of second serves to attack.
Frankie has the edge but I want to see Marion win this match.

Volta
06-02-2011, 04:23 AM
On the Men's side. The seeds have made it to the final four. 1-Nadal 2-Djokovic 3-Federer 4-Murray. That is really cool and really rare. The men's side is so much more in order than the ladies.. things are going the way they should.
I don't think Murray will do much.. he is injured and did his best to get this far.
Djokovic vs. Federer is going to be a battle to the death. I'm thinking Federer is going to throw everything he has to end Djokovic's win streak.

SuzyQ
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I think Fed might win today too, but I actually hope Djoko wins it because another Fed v Nadal final with Nadal hammering Fed yet again would just be depressing.

Volta
06-03-2011, 11:33 PM
SuzyQ.. unfortunately, that is going to happen. They should just give the check to Nadal, now. There ain't no way, no how Fed is beating Nadal on this surface.

Li vs. Schiavone for the title tomorrow. Come on Na Li!!!

Volta
06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gfBA5VkyM

Congrats Li Na! First ever Asian player to win a major! So happy and elated!

fox in socks
06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
^ a good final. the federer vs. nadal AGAIN is just boring to me. the predictability of men's tennis is awful.

Volta
06-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Yep. very boring. Nadal again. Always Nadal.

menju56
06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I love Schiavone and would have enjoyed seeing her win it again (the fact she got to a second successive final was an achievement and also proof of her excellent clay court game) but I also think it's good for Chinese tennis that Li Na won - plus she had to get through Azarenka and Sharapova which she did well.

People complain about the lack of a dominant force in the women's game, but I enjoy the unpredictability. I think Wimbledon has three potential men's champions (probably more likely two), whereas I just can't call it with the women. That said, I did enjoy today's Federer-Nadal final. It was all Federer until Nadal got the treatment on his foot and then ended up winning the first set.

Volta
06-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Yea, Menju.. Nadal seems to do really well on the softer surfaces: Clay and Grass.. because of his knees. I remember a couple years ago when he had them taped up and was out for a month or more.. John Mcenroe was already writing his tennis obituary. I think Nadal has Wimbledon.

On the women's side, like you said, it is so exciting.. there are so many women who are capable of taking Wimbledon. I think Petra Kvitova and that nasty slice serve of hers is going to get her along really well. Bartoli is going to love the low fast ball. Vera is a former finalist and has a great game with those quick take backs and flat shots. Sharapova has a perfect grass-court game. Schiavone mixes the serve and volley into her game so well, with her incredible out-wide serve she could easily make a run. Then you have the German girls who are playing their best tennis this year.. Georges, Petkovic, Licsicki.
And then you have the top seeds and slam champions.. Wozniacki, Clijsters, Li Na, Azarenka, Kuznetsova...
The wildcards.. Ivanovic, Hantuchova, Radwanska, Jankovic, Pavlyuchenkova, Wickmayer and VENUS WILLIAMS> I would love for her to make a comeback at her best ever tournament.
It is going to be a great two weeks.

menju56
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
^ True. In summer 2009 people were saying Nadal's career was potentially over but here we are two years later and he's just won a tenth Grand Slam after an incredible 2010. He's only just turned 25 and I think he could realistically catch up with Federer's 16. I think Djokovic is the other player with a legitimate chance at Wimbledon this year. I think Andy Murray is a firm "number four" - too inconsistent, some great shots but I never feel he has quite what the top three guys have. And he is so incredibly petulant and bad-tempered. He is 24 but acts like a stroppy seven-year-old at the local practice courts. I don't think any of the other guys really have a chance this year.

Good points about the women, Volto. Players like Azarenka and Kuznetsova are odd ones because they have the game but can't seem to string together good runs consistently. It's very tough to pick a winner. I think Clijsters has a good chance; it remains to be seen how Li Na will react after the French Open win - last year Schiavone won and then lost first round at Wimbledon having made the quarters the year before. And I also hope Venus does come back for Wimbledon. She's entered Eastbourne next week which she hasn't done since the '90s; usually the Williams sisters don't play events between the French and Wimbledon so it's an interesting break of tradition.

Volta
06-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't believe Murray is playing Queen's Club. (He is in the doubles with his brother, too) He may pull out, it is just the first day of the tournament. He tore a tendon, a small tear, in his foot (left one I think). I know he wants to play as much as he can on his home soil.. but he really needs to take as much time off, and there isn't much between the second week of Roland Garros and Wimbledon, and heal.
His game is the least powerful and dynamic of the top four, but he was just three sets from the final once in his life. The thing is.. his window of opportunity is so slight. I figure he will play as long as Nadal and Djokovic and in that time Fed's generation would have retired eventually. If only he came along before Fed's domination and after Nadal/Djokovic's win streaks. Andy Roddick was lucky he got a slam in before Fed came into his own.

When Murray's "cheese-ball" game is working, though, it really works... but almost always on the hardcourts. He absorbs pace and returns well enough. But he needs to get a little more fire under his arse and fight more.
I just want to see a Brit get to the final. The Queen would be there to award the winner and I would like to see that in my lifetime. Andy is really their only hope. Their tennis and lawn association is draconian at best. Andy was not a product of it.. he went away to Spain to learn the game.

I hope Venus actually shows up at Eastbourne. I worry watching the sister's play anymore.. they get injured so easily. And a bad groin pull/tear.. I just wonder if half a year is enough time to rehab it. When Venus is winning Wimbledon she is getting so low her knees graze the court.. she's going to need that region of her body to be stronger than ever.

Well. The Grass-Court Season has begun!!! Let the most aggressive players win!

I think Nadal could overtake Fed's major count. He has that incredible topspin. Fed makes errors; Nadal simply can't... the harder he hits the more net clearance he receives and with the wicked spin the ball always drops inside the baseline.
But if we must watch Nadal win all these majors can we get the poor guy some different underwear.. watching him pick his butt before every serve is just too much. He doesn't care, obviously. lol.

seso
06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Nadal his buttpicking is something strange...the whole world knows about it, so surely he must know about it too by now.

...but still he keeps on doing it ! Maybe it's something he can't control under the pressure of playing a match, maybe it has to do something with playing in front of an audience...either way, it's strange

menju56
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Serena has confirmed she is returning next week at Eastbourne. I'm surprised! I thought she'd come back at World Team Tennis after Wimbledon, but I guess she's ready. It will be the first time since the late '90s that the Williams sisters have played a Wimbledon warm-up event.

Volta
06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Yea, I am extremely shocked with Serena returning this early. Well, we will just have to see what form they are in.. in about a week.

menju56
06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Williams sisters back on court

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0nUmSQWEk

Volta
06-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Venus is 2nd up on Center Court and not on before noon. She faces Petkovic. Not the easiest first round opponent.
Eastbourne is a beautiful venue. It is one of my favorite tournaments to watch on tv.

Volta
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Venus won 7/5 5/7 6/3

Volta
06-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Serena's return.
Match Highlights (http://www.wtatennis.com/video/20110614/eastbourne-williams-vs-pironkova_2256553_2376205)
She beat Pironkova. Remember Pironkova is the one that has her sister Venus' number.

toriMODE
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Which number would that be?

Volta
06-16-2011, 09:51 AM
^At majors, Pironkova is 2-0 against Venus. She beat Venus in the quarters of Wimbledon last year. Beating Venus on grass.. well only Serena has been able to do that regularly.

Serena is out. But I think losing 7/5 in the third set to an in-form, highly ranked player is not bad at all. Gives her a good idea where her body is since she has been off the tour for a whole year with health problems.

Volta
06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Wimbledon draw is out now at Wimbledon.org

menju56
06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
I bring you Bethanie Mattek-Sands at the Wimbledon party

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/16/article-2004507-0C99DE0A00000578-500_634x880.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/16/article-2004507-0C99DE0E00000578-925_634x868.jpg

Volta
06-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I love Bethanie. She is practically the Gaga of tennis, although she has toned it down over the years. Actually, back when she was losing all the time and really in the lower rankings she was very crazy with her on-court outfits. The press was on her all the time.
Now, that she is playing better.. one of the top ranked Americans, a fedcup star, a doubles specialist.. she really has toned it down. I think she told Mary Carillo in an interview at the French a couple years back that she wanted people to start talking more about her game instead of what she wore.

I think the dress above is great. I mean, they were all auctioned off for charity. And if you saw the "fashionable" dresses.. well, I hate to be mean at all, but they just didn't look good on some of the players. I mean, some were great.. but even Maria Sharapova, who was in Alexander Mcqueen, she had a great dress but those stupid black shoes just really clashed. ah well. Bethanie was the highlight.

Volta
06-19-2011, 07:13 AM
I like Janko Tipsarevic a lot. He was playing for the Eastbourne title, today/yesterday. I am really frustrated. He has never won a title and he was up against Andreas Seppi. A player he should have dispatched with relative ease. He lost the first set in a tiebreaker, then won the second 6/3 (which is what you would expect).. and then let the match go in the third. He retired at 3/5 down. I hope he is not hurt, but he is starting to get old for a tennis player. I really think his chances of winning a title are getting slimmer.

Just my little Ode to poor Janko. The man that should have a title by now.. and will probably never win one.

menju56
06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Yesterday's second round match between Venus and Kimiko Date-Krumm was one of the best matches I've ever seen.

Volta
06-24-2011, 07:31 PM
^Venus learned a lot from that win, because she took down Martinez-Sanchez, who in my opinion is like Date-Krumm with just a little more power, like it was nothing. 6/0 6/2 Chop Suey.

Pironkova next. Oh boy.

Volta
06-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Menju, who are your picking to win the singles titles?
We never do predictions.
I can't call the Ladie's singles, yet. There are just way too many questions that need answers.
Rafa for the Men. I really want to see Murray make it to the final. But as I type this Ljubicic is giving him all kinds of problems.

menju56
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Tough one. I am going to say that I think the winner of the ladies' is probably going to come from the bottom half and I'd pick either Venus or Petra Kvitova at this point. There's been much talk of the strong top half - Sharapova, Serena, Wozniacki - but there's something about Venus this year that gives me that feeling. In the Kimiko match she SO wanted to win. She's never been very demonstrative on court but she was full of grimaces and "come on"s there.

In the men's, I'm feeling Federer. I don't like Murray at all, but that's another story for another day! Was a bit surprised today at Roddick's straight sets loss to Feliciano Lopez.

menju56
07-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Congratulations to Novak and Petra (one of my picks came true!) They're both looking very nice here at the Champions' Ball

http://www.tennisperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Djokovic-and-Kvitova.jpg

Novak was on fire in that final, and Sharapova couldn't cope with the pace and accuracy of some of Kvitova's shots. When Kvitova came out at 5-4 to serve for it, I thought she'd bottle it and throw in some double faults but she ended on an ace - can't get much better than that.

(Also I went to Wimbledon this year to Centre Court and it was amazing!)

Volta
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
US OPEN TIME
www,usopen.org

Ladies, Monday, August 29, 2011

Singles - First Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (Q) Stéphanie Foretz Gacon (FRA) 63 60
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Heather Watson (GBR) 36 75 63
Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) d. (5) Petra Kvitova (CZE) 76(3) 63
(8) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. (Q) Alexandra Panova (RUS) 75 63
(9) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 62 63
(12) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. (Q) Urszula Radwanska (POL) 62 63
(13) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 63 64
(14) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) d. Zhang Shuai (CHN) 63 64
(19) Julia Goerges (GER) d. Kristina Barrois (GER) 63 62
(24) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. (Q) Chan Yung-Jan (TPE) 63 16 64
(25) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) 46 61 76(3)
(27) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) 26 63 62
(30) Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. (Q) Karin Knapp (ITA) 67(4) 64 63
Venus Williams (USA) d. Vesna Dolonts (RUS) 64 63
Polona Hercog (SLO) d. Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) 61 63
Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) d. Virginie Razzano (FRA) 62 63
Christina McHale (USA) d. (Q) Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 63 67(5) 64
Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (AUT) 63 63
Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) d. Lucie Hradecka (CZE) 63 60
Vera Dushevina (RUS) d. Anastasija Sevastova (LAT) 63 64
Laura Pous-Tio (ESP) d. Misaki Doi (JPN) 62 67(12) 52 ret. (cramping)
Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) d. Anastasia Rodionova (AUS) 76(1) 75
Irina Falconi (USA) d. Klara Zakopalova (CZE) 36 64 62
Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) d. (Q) Noppawan Lertcheewakarn (THA) 60 46 63
(Q) Romina Oprandi (ITA) d. Melanie Oudin (USA) 60 76(7)
(Q) Laura Robson (GBR) d. Ayumi Morita (JPN) 76(5) 10 ret. (right shoulder injury)
(WC) Madison Keys (USA) d. (WC) Jill Craybas (USA) 62 64

Men's Monday, 29 August, 2011
Singles - First Round
[3] R Federer (SUI) d S Giraldo (COL) 64 63 62
[7] G Monfils (FRA) d G Dimitrov (BUL) 76(4) 63 64
[8] M Fish (USA) d T Kamke (GER) 62 62 61
[9] T Berdych (CZE) d R Jouan (FRA) 62 76(4) 61
[13] R Gasquet (FRA) d S Stakhovsky (UKR) 64 64 60
A Falla (COL) d [15] V Troicki (SRB) 36 63 46 75 75 - saved 3 M.P.
[20] J Tipsarevic (SRB) d A Gensse (FRA) 62 75 60
[22] A Dolgopolov (UKR) d F Gil (POR) 64 62 75
[23] R Stepanek (CZE) d P Kohlschreiber (GER) 64 61 63
[27] M Cilic (CRO) d R Harrison (USA) 62 75 76(6)
[29] M Llodra (FRA) d V Hanescu (ROU) 62 46 46 63 62
[31] M Granollers (ESP) d X Malisse (BEL) 64 64 64
T Haas (GER) d J Dasnieres De Veigy (FRA) 63 64 67(5) 61
F Cipolla (ITA) d K Nishikori (JPN) 64 62 ret.
D Sela (ISR) d T Bellucci (BRA) 46 26 64 63 60
B Tomic (AUS) d M Yani (USA) 63 64 64
I Karlovic (CRO) d F Gonzalez (CHI) 64 64 76(3)
J Monaco (ARG) d A Seppi (ITA) 76(1) 62 62
F Fognini (ITA) d H Zeballos (ARG) 62 76(4) 61
K Anderson (RSA) d G Soeda (JPN) 61 63 60
M Kukushkin (KAZ) d A Montanes (ESP) 75 62 36 76(5)
P Petzschner (GER) d A Ramos (ESP) 75 67(2) 63 67(5) 63
J Ferrero (ESP) d P Andujar (ESP) 16 75 57 61 63
M Jaziri (TUN) d T de Bakker (NED) 46 61 64 62

Volta
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Good Job, Venus!!

Sister Serena, tonight under the lights!

seso
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
a shame that Li Na is out already

menju56
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM
Intrigued about the Venus vs. Sabine Lisicki match today.

Also thought Heather Watson did a nice job against Sharapova.

Volta
08-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Venus is out of the open.

Venus has been diagnosed with a autoimmune disease called Sjogren's Syndrome, which affects energy levels and causes fatigue and joint pain.

About Sjögren’s Syndrome
Sjögren’s syndrome is a chronic autoimmune disease in which people’s white blood cells attack their moisture-producing glands. Today, as many as four million Americans are living with this disease.

Although the hallmark symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth, Sjögren’s may also cause dysfunction of other organs such as the kidneys, gastrointestinal system, blood vessels, lungs, liver, pancreas, and the central nervous system. Patients may also experience extreme fatigue and joint pain and have a higher risk of developing lymphoma.

With upwards of 4,000,000 Americans suffering from Sjögren’s syndrome, it is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders. Nine out of 10 patients are women.

About half of the time Sjögren’s syndrome occurs alone, and the other half it occurs in the presence of another autoimmune connective tissue disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or scleroderma. When Sjögren’s occurs alone, it is referred to as “Primary Sjögren’s.” When it occurs with another connective tissue disease, it is referred to as “Secondary Sjögren’s.”

All instances of Sjögren’s syndrome are systemic, affecting the entire body. Symptoms may remain steady, worsen, or, uncommonly, go into remission. While some people experience mild discomfort, others suffer debilitating symptoms that greatly impair their functioning. Early diagnosis and proper treatment are important — they may prevent serious complications and greatly improve a patient’s quality of life.

Since symptoms of Sjögren’s syndrome mimic other conditions and diseases, Sjögren’s can often be overlooked or misdiagnosed. On average, it takes nearly seven years to receive a diagnosis of Sjögren’s syndrome. Patients need to remember to be pro-active in talking with their physicians and dentists about their symptoms and potential treatment options.

Since the disease was first identified in 1933 by Dr. Henrik Sjögren, it has been proven to affect virtually every racial and ethnic group. General awareness about Sjögren’s syndrome is still lacking and increased professional awareness is needed to help expedite new diagnoses and treatment options.

Volta
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
a shame that Li Na is out already

Li (French), Kviotva (Wimbledon) and Clijsters (Aus) are all out. All four majors this year will be held by different people, now.

Volta
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Tuesday, 30 August, 2011
Singles - First Round
[1] N Djokovic (SRB) d C Niland (IRL) 60 51 ret. (illness)
[2] R Nadal (ESP) d A Golubev (KAZ) 63 76(1) 75
[5] D Ferrer (ESP) d I Andreev (RUS) 26 63 60 64
[11] J Tsonga (FRA) d Y Lu (TPE) 64 64 64
[14] S Wawrinka (SUI) d M Gonzalez (ARG) 36 64 61 63
E Gulbis (LAT) d [16] M Youzhny (RUS) 62 64 64
[17] J Melzer (AUT) d E Prodon (FRA) 62 76(4) 62
[19] F Verdasco (ESP) d J Nieminen (FIN) 36 64 61 64
[24] J Chela (ARG) d M Matosevic (AUS) 31 ret. (ankle)
[26] F Mayer (GER) d A Mannarino (FRA) 62 60 61
[30] I Ljubicic (CRO) d B Kavcic (SLO) 76(5) 36 61 75
N Davydenko (RUS) d [32] I Dodig (CRO) 67(6) 63 60 26 62
J Blake (USA) d J Huta Galung (NED) 64 62 46 64
D Young (USA) d L Lacko (SVK) 64 62 64
D Nalbandian (ARG) d B Reynolds (USA) 46 63 64 63
M Ilhan (TUR) d F Dancevic (CAN) 63 62 10 ret.
N Mahut (FRA) d R Farah (COL) 36 67(4) 62 64 60
G Muller (LUX) d E Roger-Vasselin (FRA) 76(5) 64 64
S Bubka (UKR) d A Haider-Maurer (AUT) 63 62 36 64
S Darcis (BEL) d D Tursunov (RUS) 67(4) 46 75 61 76(0)
P Starace (ITA) d M Berrer (GER) 64 46 63 62
J Lisnard (MON) d O Rochus (BEL) 76(5) 62 64
I Kunitsyn (RUS) d M Bachinger (GER) 26 16 61 64 64
C Berlocq (ARG) d P Riba (ESP) 75 60 61

Doubles - First Round
[4] M Bhupathi/L Paes d A Dolgopolov (UKR) / A Ramos (ESP) 76(8) 64
[5] R Bopanna/A Qureshi d R Ginepri (USA) / R Williams (USA) 61 26 62
[6] M Fyrstenberg/M Matkowski d M Shabaz/R Sweeting (USA) 46 62 61
[7] R Lindstedt/H Tecau d B Klahn (USA) / D Martin (USA) 64 64
[15] M Knowles/X Malisse d J Sock (USA) / J Withrow (USA) 63 67(5) 61

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Singles - First Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Nuria Llagostera Vives (ESP) 63 61
(4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Johanna Larsson (SWE) 61 63
Simona Halep (ROU) d. (6) Li Na (CHN) 62 75
(7) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. (Q) Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 63 16 64
(10) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (Q) Ekaterina Bychkova (RUS) 62 62
(11) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. (WC) Alison Riske (USA) 62 60
(15) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Sara Errani (ITA) 75 61
(16) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Ksenia Pervak (RUS) 64 62
(17) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. Anna Tatishvili (GEO) 62 62
(18) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) 63 64
(20) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. Sorana Cirstea (ROU) 61 75
Pauline Parmentier (FRA) d. (21) Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 62 63
(22) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Alona Bondarenko (UKR) 63 63
(23) Shahar Peer (ISR) d. Sania Mirza (IND) 67(5) 63 61
(26) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. (WC) Aravane Rezai (FRA) 61 64
(28) Serena Williams (USA) d. Bojana Jovanovski (SRB) 61 61
(29) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) d. Iveta Benesova (CZE) 76(5) 75
(31) Kaia Kanepi (EST) d. Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) 64 63
Mona Barthel (GER) d. (32) María José Martínez Sánchez (ESP) 63 64
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) d. Evgeniya Rodina (RUS) 16 61 62
Gisela Dulko (ARG) d. Rebecca Marino (CAN) 63 63
Elena Baltacha (GBR) d. (WC) Jamie Hampton (USA) 26 62 51 ret. (heat illness)
Petra Martic (CRO) d. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) 57 63 64
Jelena Dokic (AUS) d. Olga Govortsova (BLR) 63 61
Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) d. Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 62 46 75
Zheng Jie (CHN) d. (Q) Vitalia Diatchenko (RUS) 46 75 62
Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) d. Anne Keothavong (GBR) 75 63
Arantxa Rus (NED) d. Elena Vesnina (RUS) 62 64
Angelique Kerber (GER) d. (WC) Lauren Davis (USA) 76(3) 63
Alizé Cornet (FRA) d. (WC) Casey Dellacqua (AUS) 75 60
Mirjana Lucic (CRO) d. (Q) Marina Erakovic (NZL) 64 26 64
Vania King (USA) d. Greta Arn (HUN) 61 64
Coco Vandeweghe (USA) d. Alberta Brianti (ITA) 75 63
Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB) d. Tamira Paszek (AUT) 64 62
(Q) Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) d. Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN) 76(5) 76(2)
(Q) Michaella Krajicek (NED) d. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) 36 76(4) 61
(WC) Sloane Stephens (USA) d. (Q) Reka-Luca Jani (HUN) 62 36 76(3)

Volta
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Go Dokic! Quack Quack, duckie!

menju56
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I was disappointed to hear she had withdrawn, but glad she has a diagnosis. Hope she's ok.

seso
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I hope Venus gets better soon.

just saw a great first set between Ferrero and Monfils - some amazing tennis there

Volta
09-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Bryan brothers are out. wow
Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Singles - Second Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) 75 36 63
(3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) 61 61
Christina McHale (USA) d. (8) Marion Bartoli (FRA) 76(2) 62
(9) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Coco Vandeweghe (USA) 63 64
Angelique Kerber (GER) d. (12) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) 63 46 63
(13) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 62 64
Irina Falconi (USA) d. (14) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) 26 63 75
(19) Julia Goerges (GER) d. Laura Pous-Tio (ESP) 63 61
Alla Kudryavtseva d. (20) Yanina Wickmayer 61 30 ret. (low back injury)
(22) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Venus Williams w/o (Sjogren's syndrome)
(24) Nadia Petrova (RUS) d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 62 64
(25) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Vera Dushevina (RUS) 61 62
(26) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. (Q) Romina Oprandi (ITA) 60 63
(27) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. (WC) Madison Keys (USA) 36 75 64
(30) Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) d. (Q) Laura Robson (GBR) 62 63
Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) 63 60

Doubles - First Round
(3) King/Shvedova d. Cetkovska/Voracova (CZE/CZE) 61 62
(4) Huber/Raymond d. Kops-Jones/Spears (USA/USA) 62 62
(6) Mirza/Vesnina d. (WC) Crawford/Keys (USA/USA) 62 60
(8) Hlavackova/Hradecka d. Jovanovski/Lepchenko (SRB/USA) 60 75
(9) Benesova/Zahlavova Strycova d. Niculescu/Peer 57 64 75
Klepac/Tatishvili d. (10) Chan/Rodionova (TPE/AUS) 46 64 76(7)
(12) Martínez Sánchez/Medina Garrigues d. Johansson/Parmentier 61 63
Dekmeijere/Jankovic d. (13) Chuang/Govortsova 62 62
(14) Llagostera Vives/Parra Santonja d. Pironkova/Scheepers 63 61
(16) Gajdosova/Mattek-Sands d. Dokic/Razzano 62 64
Begu/Halep d. Birnerova/Zakopalova (CZE/CZE) 76(5) 63
Hsieh/Voskoboeva d. Arn/Rus (HUN/NED) 64 76(3)
Diatchenko/Savchuk d. Martic/Pervak (CRO/RUS) 63 16 62
Cirstea/Morita d. Dellacqua/Stubbs (AUS/AUS) 75 46 62
Pavlyuchenkova/Zvonareva d. Lucic/Paszek (CRO/AUT) 61 62
(WC) Pegula/Townsend d. Jans-Ignacik/Rosolska (POL/POL) 62 63

Wednesday, 31 August, 2011

Singles - First Round
[4] A Murray (GBR) d S Devvarman (IND) 76(5) 62 63
J Benneteau (FRA) d [10] N Almagro (ESP) 62 64 63
[12] G Simon (FRA) d R Mello (BRA) 36 63 64 36 64
[18] J Del Potro (ARG) d F Volandri (ITA) 63 61 61
[21] A Roddick (USA) d M Russell (USA) 62 64 46 75
[25] F Lopez (ESP) d T Ito (JPN) 62 64 64
[28] J Isner (USA) d M Baghdatis (CYP) 76(2) 76(1) 26 64
[W] R Ginepri (USA) d [Q] J Souza (BRA) 63 64 67(5) 61
[W] J Sock (USA) d M Gicquel (FRA) 64 63 16 64
A Bogomolov Jr. (USA) d [WC] S Johnson 46 46 63 76(3) 63
R Haase (NED) d R Machado (POR) 60 64 64
D Junqueira (ARG) d K Beck (SVK) 62 ret.
D Istomin (UZB) d R Sweeting (USA) 36 75 64 76(4)
G Garcia-Lopez (ESP) d D Gimeno-Traver (ESP) 63 16 76(1) 46 76(4)
[Q] V Pospisil (CAN) d L Rosol (CZE) 61 62 61
* [LL] Rogerio Dutra Da Silva d [Q] L Sorensen (IRL) 60 36 64 10 ret.

* [LL] Rogerio Dutra Da Silva replaced [6] R Soderling - (illness)

Doubles - First Round
I Karlovic/F Moser d [1] B Bryan/M Bryan (USA) 64 26 62
[2] M Mirnyi/D Nestor d S Giraldo (COL) / P Riba (ESP) 63 62
[8] E Butorac/J Rojer d G Dimitrov/D Tursunov 67(3) 62 60
[9] J Melzer/P Petzschner d S Gonzalez (MEX) / J Murray (GBR) 63 60
D Bracciali/P Starace d [11] F Cermak (CZE) / F Polasek (SVK) 64 64
[13] M Granollers/M Lopez d G Garcia-Lopez/A Montanes 30 ret. M Kohlmann/A Waske d [16] S Lipsky/R Ram (USA) 57 76(6) 76(5)
P Andujar/D Gimeno-Traver d I Dodig (CRO) / B Tomic (AUS) 62 75
J Knowle/H Zeballos d O Rochus (BEL) / A Sa (BRA) 64 36 75
C Fleming/R Hutchins d M Damm (CZE) / R Stepanek (CZE) 63 63
S Bolelli/F Fogninid C Berlocq (ARG) / L Rosol (CZE) 76(3) 46 64
J Delgado/J Marray d M Bachinger/P Kohlschreiber (GER) 63 67(5) 64
J Erlich/A Ram d L Arnold Ker (ARG) / J Monaco (ARG) 46 76(5) 63
D Istomin/M Kukushkin d J Brunstrom/J Nieminen (FIN) 36 62 76(6)
D Marrero/A Seppi d A Clement/L Dlouhy (CZE) 64 76(7)

menju56
09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Venus interview this morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIfOLuCNRM

Volta
09-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Thursday, September 1, 2011

Singles - Second Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Arantxa Rus (NED) 62 60
(4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Gisela Dulko (ARG) 64 63
(7) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Mirjana Lucic (CRO) 61 61
(10) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. Zheng Jie (CHN) 36 63 63
(11) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. Jelena Dokic (AUS) 63 64
(15) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Elena Baltacha 64 63
(16) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Petra Cetkovska w/o (left thigh injury)
(17) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. Petra Martic 64 26 64
(18) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Alizé Cornet (FRA) 62 63
(WC) Sloane Stephens (USA) d. (23) Shahar Peer 61 76(4)
(28) Serena Williams (USA) d. (Q) Michaella Krajicek 60 61
Vania King (USA) d. (29) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) 62 60
(Q) Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) d. (31) Kaia Kanepi 64 62
Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) d. Simona Halep 36 62 62
Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) d. Mona Barthel (GER) 64 75
Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB) d. Pauline Parmentier 63 75

Doubles - First Round
(1) Peschke/Srebotnik d. Brianti/Kondratieva 61 63
(5) Kirilenko/Petrova d. Marino/McHale (CAN/USA) 61 61
Hantuchova/A.Radwanska d. (7) Peng/Zheng 60 46 64
Kudryavtseva/Makarova d. (11) Grandin/Uhlirova 64 36 63
(15) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. Aoyama/Yakimova 62 61
Bondarenko/Bondarenko Falconi/Gallovits-Hall 61 60
Koryttseva/Poutchek d. Dulgheru/Rybarikova 64 64
Daniilidou/Hercog d. Lisicki/Stosur (GER/AUS) 67(5) 63 63
Sevastova/Zhang d. Pous-Tio/Suárez Navarro (ESP/ESP) 30 ret.
Goerges/Petkovic d. (WC) Davis/Gibbs (USA/USA) 64 61
Arvidsson/Dushevina d. (WC) Oudin/Rolle (USA/USA) 62 61
Cibulkova/Schiavone d. Larsson/Woehr (SWE/GER) 61 75
Amanmuradova/Panova d. Erakovic/Tanasugarn 64 36 64
(WC) Barte/Burdette d. (WC) Glatch/Hampton 64 64

Thursday, 1 September, 2011

Singles - Second Round
[1] N Djokovic (SRB) d C Berlocq (ARG) 60 60 62
[3] R Federer (SUI) d D Sela (ISR) 63 62 62
J Ferrero (ESP) d [7] G Monfils (FRA) 76(5) 57 67(5) 64 64
[8] M Fish (USA d M Jaziri (TUN) 62 62 64
[9] T Berdych (CZE) d F Fognini (ITA) 75 60 60
[11] J Tsonga (FRA) d S Bubka (UKR) 63 75 62
I Karlovic (CRO) d [13] R Gasquet (FRA) 64 62 26 76(4)
[19] F Verdasco (ESP) d M Ilhan (TUR) 64 63 61
[20] J Tipsarevic (SRB) d P Petzschner (GER) 60 63 36 63
[22] A Dolgopolov (UKR) d F Cipolla (ITA) 60 75 26 57 64
J Monaco (ARG) d [23] R Stepanek (CZE) 64 61 20 ret.
[27] M Cilic (CRO) d B Tomic (AUS) 61 60 62
K Anderson (RSA) d [29] M Llodra (FRA) 61 62 62
[31] M Granollers (ESP) d M Kukushkin (KAZ) 75 63 64
N Davydenko (RUS) d P Starace (ITA) 62 64 75
T Haas (GER) d A Falla (COL) 76(5) 61 75

Doubles - First Round
[3] M Llodra/N Zimonjic d M Russell/D Young (USA) 76(5) 76(9)
P Hanley/D Norman d [10] C Kas (GER) / A Peya (AUT) 76(5) 75
[12] M Melo/B Soares d S Johnson (USA) / D Kudla (USA) 62 61
[14] J Chela/E Schwank d A Shamasdin/I Zelenay (SVK) 63 46 61
F Ferreiro/R Machado d A Bogomolov Jr./M Ebden (AUS) 26 64 64
J Cerretani/P Marx d T Parrott (USA) / B Reynolds (USA) 63 76(6)
M Emmrich/A Siljestrom d A Fisher (AUS) / S Huss (AUS) 36 63 75
J Cabal/R Farah d J Dadamo (USA) / A Krajicek (USA) 76(2) 64
F Mayer/R Wassen d M Gicquel (FRA) / G Monfils (FRA) 75 62
S Stakhovsky/M Youzhny d R Haase/V Hanescu (ROU) 61 62
S Devvarman/T Huey d I Andreev (RUS) / I Kunitsyn (RUS) 63 64
N Almagro/M Gonzalez d A Haider-Maurer/B Kavcic (SLO) 62 75

Friday, September 2, 2011

Singles - Third Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (30) Anabel Medina Garrigues 64 75
(26) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. (3) Maria Sharapova (RUS) 63 36 64
(9) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. (24) Nadia Petrova 76(5) 67(5) 75
(13) Peng Shuai (CHN) d. (19) Julia Goerges (GER) 64 76(1)
(22) Sabine Lisicki (GER) d. Irina Falconi (USA) 60 61
(25) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Christina McHale (USA) 62 63
Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. (27) Lucie Safarova (CZE) 60 61
Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Alla Kudryavtseva (RUS) 63 61

Doubles - Second Round
(3) King/Shvedova d. Daniilidou/Hercog (GRE/SLO) 62 62
(4) Huber/Raymond d. Amanmuradova/Panova (UZB/RUS) 62 61
(6) Mirza/Vesnina d. Diatchenko/Savchuk (RUS/UKR) 61 76(5)
(9) Benesova/Zahlavova Strycova d. Begu/Halep 67(5) 60 42 ret.
(Halep: right calf strain)
Hsieh/Voskoboeva d. (14) Llagostera Vives/Parra Santonja 62 62
(15) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. Sevastova/Zhang (LAT/CHN) 60 64
(16) Gajdosova/Mattek-Sands d. Koryttseva/Poutchek 57 61 64
Kudryavtseva/Makarova d. Cibulkova/Schiavone w/o
(Schiavone: right leg injury)
Klepac/Tatishvili d. (WC) Barte/Burdette (USA/USA) 62 36 63
(WC) Pegula/Townsend d. Dekmeijere/Jankovic (LAT/SRB) 63 63

Doubles - First Round
(2) Dulko/Pennetta d. (WC) Riske/Stephens (USA/USA) 63 60
Barrois/Groenefeldd. Krajicek/Safarova (NED/CZE) 46 64 62

Friday, 2 September, 2011

Singles - Second Round
[2] R Nadal (ESP) d N Mahut (FRA) 62 62 ret. (stomach strain)
[4] A Murray (GBR) d R Haase (NED) 67(5) 26 62 60 64
[5] D Ferrer (ESP) d J Blake (USA) 64 63 64
[12] G Simon (FRA) d G Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 64 67(4) 75 63
D Young (USA) d [14] S Wawrinka (SUI) 76(7) 36 26 63 76(1)
I Kunitsyn (RUS) d [17] J Melzer (AUT) 36 63 16 62 76(5)
[18] J Del Potro (ARG) d D Junqueira (ARG) 62 61 75
[21] A Roddick (USA) d J Sock (USA) 63 63 64
[24] J Chela (ARG) d S Darcis (BEL) 62 64 64
[25] F Lopez (ESP) d V Pospisil (CAN) 57 64 76(3) 76(5)
[26] F Mayer (GER) d J Lisnard (MON) 62 75 62
[28] J Isner (USA) d R Ginepri (USA) 64 63 64
D Nalbandian (ARG) d [30] I Ljubicic (CRO) 64 16 63 62
A Bogomolov Jr. (USA) d R Dutra Da Silva (BRA) 64 63 75
J Benneteau (FRA) d D Istomin (UZB) 64 64 64
G Muller (LUX) d E Gulbis (LAT) 36 76(4) 64 76(5)

Doubles - Second Round
C Fleming/R Hutchins d [2] M Mirnyi (BLR) / D Nestor (CAN) 63 75
[5] R Bopanna/A Qureshi d J Cerretani (USA) / P Marx (GER) 76(3) 76(4)
[6] M Fyrstenberg/M Matkowski d J Knowle/H Zeballos (ARG) 64 61
[7] R Lindstedt/H Tecau d P Andujar/D Gimeno-Traver (ESP) 75 36 62
J Delgado/J Marray d [12] M Melo/B Soares (BRA) 63 67(8) 76(2)
[13] M Granollers/M Lopez d F Ferreiro/R Machado (POR) 63 36 64
[15] M Knowles/X Malisse d M Emmrich/A Siljestrom (SWE) 63 63
S Bolelli/F Fognini d I Karlovic (CRO)/F Moser (GER) 76(3) 63
D Bracciali/P Starace d D Istomin (UZB)/M Kukushkin (KAZ) 63 64

Volta
09-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Sloane Stephens has a great future ahead of her.
Donald Young is finally living up to all his hype.
Sharapova and Jankovic ousted. The seeds keep falling.

fox in socks
09-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I think Donald Young is a great talent. He's doing very well today as well. Also, I'm so stoked for Mardy Fish. Ive watched him since he was playing doubles with James Blake---he's a late bloomer in the singles world but again, someone to watch.

SnowWhitePumps
09-05-2011, 12:09 AM
This is Serena's tournament to win. The only player left in the draw who could give Serena a challenge is, in my opinion, Schiavone. She would have to be on, but her game could keep Serena off rhytmn. The rest of the field will try to beat Serena at her own game, which I don't see any of them being able to accomplish.

And unless something happens to Djokovic, I don't see him losing either.

Volta
09-05-2011, 03:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABY0BR8d_z0

Poor Rafa.
What a wacky day of tennis.
Rafa cramps up during the press conference. Andy sits in the wrong chair and thinks his opponent is retiring to him. Young upsets Chela. Goodness.

Volta
09-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Saturday, 3 September, 2011

Singles - Third Round
[1] N Djokovic (SRB) d N Davydenko (RUS) 63 64 62
[3] R Federer (SUI) d [27] M Cilic (CRO) 63 46 64 62
[8] M Fish (USA) d K Anderson (RSA) 64 76(4) 76(3)
[20] J Tipsarevic (SRB) d [9] T Berdych (CZE) 64 50 ret. (right shoulder)
[11] J Tsonga (FRA) d [19] F Verdasco (ESP) 63 75 64
[22] A Dolgopolov (UKR) d I Karlovic (CRO) 67(4) 62 64 64
J Ferrero (ESP) d [31] M Granollers (ESP) 61 43 ret. (back)
J Monaco (ARG) d T Haas (GER) 67(3) 63 62 63

Doubles - Second Round
[3] M Llodra/N Zimonjic d N Almagro/M Gonzalez (ARG) 63 64
[4] M Bhupathi/L Paes d F Mayer (GER) / R Wassen (NED) 76(5) 62
S Stakhovsky/M Youzhny d [8] E Butorac/J Rojer (AHO) 63 16 75
[9] J Melzer/P Petzschner d J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR) 76(2) 62
S Devvarman/T Huey d [14] J Chela (ARG) / E Schwank (ARG) 63 64
D Marrero/A Seppi d M Kohlmann (GER) / A Waske (GER) 64 75
P Hanley/D Norman d J Cabal (COL) / R Farah (COL) 62 63

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Singles - Third Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Vania King (USA) 62 64
(28) Serena Williams (USA) d. (4) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 61 76(5)
(7) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 57 76(5) 63
(10) Andrea Petkovic (GER) d. (18) Roberta Vinci (ITA) 64 60
(17) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) d. (11) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 64 64
(15) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB) 64 62
(16) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. (WC) Sloane Stephens (USA) 63 64
Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) d. (Q) Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) 60 64

Doubles - Second Round
(1) Peschke/Srebotnik d. Bondarenko/Bondarenko (UKR/UKR) 61 62
(2) Dulko/Pennetta d. Arvidsson/Dushevina (SWE/RUS) 64 61
(5) Kirilenko/Petrova d. Pavlyuchenkova/Zvonareva (RUS/RUS) w/o
(Zvonareva: viral illness)
(8) Hlavackova/Hradecka d. Goerges/Petkovic (GER/GER) 64 67(3) 64
(12) Martínez Sánchez/Medina Garrigues d. Cirstea/Morita 57 63 64
Hantuchova/Radwanska (SVK/POL) d. Barrois/Groenefeld 36 62 60

Volta
09-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Sunday, September 4, 2011

Singles - Fourth Round
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (22) Sabine Lisicki (GER) 62 63
(9) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. (25) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 62 67(15) 63
(26) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) d. (13) Peng Shuai (CHN) 64 76(6)
Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 64 63

Doubles - Third Round
(4) Huber/Raymond d. (16) Gajdosova/Mattek-Sands 62 76(5)
(9) Benesova/Zahlavova Strycova d. (6) Mirza/Vesnina 76(4) 76(5)
(8) Hlavackova/Hradecka d. Klepac/Tatishvili 36 63 63

Sunday, 4 September, 2011

Singles - Third Round
[2] R Nadal (ESP) d D Nalbandian (ARG) 76(5) 61 75
[4] A Murray (GBR) d [25] F Lopez (ESP) 61 64 62
[5] D Ferrer (ESP) d [26] F Mayer (GER) 61 62 76(2)
[12] G Simon (FRA) d [18] J del Potro (ARG) 46 76(5) 62 76(3)
[21] A Roddick (USA) d J Benneteau (FRA) 61 64 76(5)
D Young (USA) d [24] J Chela (ARG) 75 64 63
[28] J Isner (USA) d A Bogomolov Jr. (USA) 76(9) 64 64
G Muller (LUX) d I Kunitsyn (RUS) 61 64 64

Doubles - Third Round
[5] R Bopanna/A Qureshi d P Hanley/D Norman (BEL) 62 63
[7] R Lindstedt/H Tecau d D Bracciali/P Starace (ITA) 76(4) 76(3)
S Bolelli/F Fognini d [15] M Knowles/X Malisse (BEL) 75 64

Volta
09-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm so happy for "Flava Flav" Flavia Pennetta and Janko Tipsarevic. Janko has reached his first ever grand slam QF! Go Janko!

Volta
09-11-2011, 10:11 PM
OMG x's a million.
I cannot believe Sam Stosur just won the US Open!
Oh, Serena.. controversial match as ever, but Sam kept her cool. I can't believe it. I am so happy for Sam right now. It's been 31 years since an Aussie has won a slam.

uskidsknow
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm so shocked at how that happened. It's really unbelievable. Serena looked so flat. I can't help but think something was wrong with her foot because she wasn't moving the way she normally does and her serve was horrible today.

Still, I've always really liked Sam Stosur so good for her. It would've been easy to lose her cool during that "controversy" and she did a great job to just ride it out.

menju56
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought it was potentially over at the beginning of the second set when Serena broke back; I thought she'd race away with it. But full credit to Sam for staying in there, keeping her cool and playing her game - and what a way to finish with that blistering winner.

Yesterday's Federer vs. Djokovic was pretty great. Can't believe the same thing has happened to Roger two years running.

Shady Pines, Ma
09-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I caught her win last night and Serena was awesome. I was really glad for her. Today I was only able to catch the beginning of the second set and a few plays. What happened between Serena and the umpire?

menju56
09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
It was 30-40 break point to Stosur in the first game of the second set; Serena hit a winner but she yelled "come on" before Stosur could get to the ball so the umpire gave the point to Stosur (and therefore the game.) I think Serena later said something to the umpire and got a warning as well.

At the change of ends she told the umpire that she was "unattractive inside" and not to look at her. She didn't shake her hand at the end of the match, and apparently it was the same umpire from the Kim Clijsters match two years ago. Oh and Serena also called her a "hater."

fullofwish
09-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm stoked (and shocked, I must admit) to see Sam Stosur win a grand slam. First Australian woman to do so in 31 years.

And this is all I've read about the altercation with the umpire so far:

However the match looked like turning at the end of the opening game of the second set following a controversial decision by the chair umpire.

Williams shouted "come on" just as Stosur went to hit a ball on the baseline and the chair umpire penalised the American under the hindrance rule.

The decision handed Stosur an early break of serve and it infuriated Williams as she directed some sharp words at the chair umpire.

It also woke up the crowd who booed the decision and a fired-up Williams then broke Stosur's serve for the first time in the match.

Williams called the chair umpire a "hater".

"Aren't you the one who screwed me over last time here?" Serena roared.

"Yeah, you are.

"A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked. Am I gonna get violated for a water? Really, dont' even look at me. I promise you, don't look at me because I am not the one. Don't look my way.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way. Because you're out of control. Totally out of control. You're a hater, you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing. And I never complain. Wow."

Volta
09-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Well, it has been a weird tournament this year. The same hindrance rule happened during a match I watched with Bartoli just a few days ago. It was the match she lost. Then Djokovic goes for broke match-points down and Federer gave that crazy press conference about how that wasn't a refined thing to do and that the way he was taught "I wouldn't have done that match point down." lol Making it sound like Djokovic wasn't trained properly to go for a shot like that at a time like that. That is how I took it. haha.
My guilty pleasure is watching Federer cry. haha awful.. I know.

So, yea. The final with Serena and Sam went by super fast. I thought Sam would take her to three sets (they are both big servers with big power games and Sam beat her at a major before) but there was no way Serena would lose.
After Serena screamed, I think the crowd just thought it was a winner. Sam didn't really do anything (the poor gal was just really shocked) I don't think she knew what to do really and the crowd turned on her a little. The crowd certainly didn't understand that particular code violation, although it happened with Bartoli and the crowd didn't much mind.
I said to myself, Sam is fragile enough in finals, needless to say slam finals, and with all this going on.. and Serena got so mad she started moving better and I just knew Serena had this title.
I don't really know what happened from that point on. When things got tied up 3-3, I was like.. hmmm and then the whole thing was over before you knew it. Serena made every mistake and didn't move her feet and Sam had no fear.. she hit every winner she had to when she had to.

Do you remember that horrible match at the French in 2005 when Justine lied about her hand being up and the crowd absolutely turned on Serena? It felt like that was going to be the same case to a player that didn't deserve it at all. But Sam prevailed. And I couldn't be more happy for her.

Hindsight it was great tv. Serena said, "You're a hater. This is America and I can express my opinion. Don't even look at me." lol "You're a Hater" hhaaa to the chair of course. She was very classy with Sam.

Poor Serena. The Us Open and she are just drama drama drama. First the match with Capriati that basically made the hawk-eye system become official, forever changing tennis in a good way, then two years ago when she went completely batshit, and that poor lineswoman was at every tournament Serena competed at this Us Open Series LOL and then this. goodness.

menju56
09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNMSMq9VxV8&feature=player_embedded

What she said:

'I don't understand.
'I'm not giving her that game. If anything, we need a replay.
'Aren't you the one that screwed me over last time here? Yeah you are.
'Seriously, you have it out for me?
'I promise you, that's not cool. That's totally not cool.
'I truly despise you.
'If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you're out of control, you're out of control.
'You're totally out of control. You're a hater and you're just unattractive inside.
'Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser.
'You get a code violation because I express who I am. We're in America last I checked.
'Can I get a water? Or am I going to get violated for a water?
'Really, don't even look at me. I promise you don't look at me because I am not... Don't look my way.'

Volta
09-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Poor Nole. He gave it all he had in the Davis Cup, today.. but that back just couldn't hold up.

Volta
10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Janko Tipsarevic, my guy, won his first ATP Title in Malaysia!
and also worth mentioning is Donald Young's first time in an ATP final at the Thailand Open. Donald had so many expectations put on him from such an early age. I am very happy for both guys right now.

And how about Aggie Radwanska beating out a stellar field to win the biggest title of her career in Tokyo. Very exciting week for players that I admire.

Volta
10-04-2011, 05:28 AM
I guess Martina Hingis is going to try to get her ranking high enough to play mixed doubles with Fed at the Olympics. Yahoo Sports is reporting they are playing mixed in Australia. Yea right. Fed is not playing mixed doubles in Australia.
Goodness gracious, I hope she remembers to stay off the cocaine (allegedly - she did test positive at Wimbledon) this season.

Volta
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Three days until the first Grand Slam tournament of the year - The Australian Open!!
Who are your favorites for the Men's and Women's titles?
For qualifying draws and other information:
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/index.html

fullofwish
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Every year I tell myself I am going to go back to the Australian Open the following year ... and yet again, I am not :(

I follow it more than any other GS, probably just because the timezone makes it easiest for me to watch. I think the draw gets released today sometime, so curious to see the match ups. I don't know who my favourites are as yet, but certainly curious to see how Sam Stosur goes at home.

uskidsknow
01-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm still hoping for Serena to win here, even though she just sprained her ankle. If it's not her, I'd like to see Li Na win this year, or Lisicki break through.

For the men, I'd love to see Federer win. Realistically, he only has maybe two more years at the top of the game. Now's the time to win!

seso
01-13-2012, 09:06 AM
I think we might be in for a surprise on the women's side. Most of the big players like Serena, Clijsters and Sharapova are injured and I fear that Li Na will buckle under the pressure - would be nice for her to win though.

as for the men, I can only see Djokovic or Federer win. Murray never seems to win and I have a feeling Nadal is not in his winning zone at the moment - Monfils or Del Potro might be nice for a change, I just don't see it happen

Volta
01-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Ladies Single's Draw
(1) WOZNIACKI, Caroline DEN vs RODIONOVA, Anastasia AUS
(WC) BARTY, Ashleigh AUS vs TATISHVILI, Anna GEO
PARMENTIER, Pauline FRA vsKUDRYAVTSEVA, Alla RUS
CORNET, Alize FRA vs (31) NICULESCU, Monica ROU

(24) SAFAROVA, Lucie CZE vs MCHALE, Christina USA
ERAKOVIC, Marina NZL vs (Q)
MARTIC, Petra CRO vs (Q)
(13) JANKOVIC, Jelena SRB vs(Q)

(11) CLIJSTERS, Kim BEL vs (Q)
FORETZ GACON, Stephanie FRA vs BALTACHA, Elena GBR
RUS, Arantxa NED vs TSURENKO, Lesia UKR
(20) HANTUCHOVA, Daniela SVK vs (Q)

(26) MEDINA GARRIGUES, Anabel ESP vs BIRNEROVA, Eva CZE
MAYR-ACHLEITNER, Patricia AUT vs GOVORTSOVA, Olga BLR
ARVIDSSON, Sofia SWE vs (WC) ROGOWSKA, Olivia AUS
PERVAK, Ksenia KAZ vs (5) LI, Na CHN

(3) AZARENKA, Victoria BLR vs WATSON, Heather GBR
(WC) DELLACQUA, Casey AUS vs JOVANOVSKI, Bojana SRB
KEOTHAVONG, Anne GBR vs BARTHEL, Mona GER
MORITA, Ayumi JPN vs (32) CETKOVSKA, Petra CZE

(19) PENNETTA, Flavia ITA vs (Q)
BRIANTI, Alberta ITA vs FALCONI, Irina USA
BENESOVA, Iveta CZE vs JOHANSSON, Mathilde FRA
(WC) REZAI, Aravane FRA vs (16) PENG, Shuai CHN

(10) SCHIAVONE, Francesca ITA vs POUS-TIO, Laura ESP
YAKIMOVA, Anastasiya BLR vs OPRANDI, Romina ITA
DATE-KRUMM, Kimiko JPN vs DANIILIDOU, Eleni GRE
HERCOG, Polona SLO vs (22) GOERGES, Julia GER

(28) WICKMAYER, Yanina BEL vs VOSKOBOEVA, Galina KAZ
PIRONKOVA, Tsvetana BUL vs MIRZA, Sania IND
HALEP, Simona ROU vs (Q)
MATTEK-SANDS, Bethanie USA vs (8) RADWANSKA, Agnieszka POL

Bottom Half:

(7) ZVONAREVA, Vera RUS vs DULGHERU, Alexandra ROU
RODINA, Evgeniya RUS vs HRADECKA, Lucie CZE
MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS vs TANASUGARN, Tamarine THA
LARSSON, Johanna SWE vs (25) KANEPI, Kaia EST

(17) CIBULKOVA, Dominika SVK vs RYBARIKOVA, Magdalena SVK
MARINO, Rebecca CAN vs ARN, Greta HUN
BREMOND, Iryna FRA vs ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, Barbora CZE
PASZEK, Tamira AUT vs (12) WILLIAMS, Serena USA

(14) LISICKI, Sabine GER vs (Q)
PEER, Shahar ISR vs (WC) HOLLAND, Isabella AUS
STEPHENS, Sloane USA vs SOLER-ESPINOSA, Silvia ESP
SCHEEPERS, Chanelle RSA vs (18) KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana RUS

(30) KERBER, Angelique GER vs (WC) BOBUSIC, Bojana AUS
DUBOIS, Stephanie CAN vs VESNINA, Elena RUS
MINELLA, Mandy LUX vs (Q)
DULKO, Gisela ARG vs (4) SHARAPOVA, Maria RUS

(6) STOSUR, Samantha AUS vs CIRSTEA, Sorana ROU
RADWANSKA, Urszula POL vs (Q)
ERRANI, Sara ITA vs (Q)
(29) PETROVA, Nadia RUS vs (Q)

(23) VINCI, Roberta ITA vs CADANTU, Alexandra ROU
(WC) KEYS, Madison USA vs ZHENG, Jie CHN
DOKIC, Jelena AUS vs (SR) CHAKVETADZE, Anna RUS
RAZZANO, Virginie FRA vs (9) BARTOLI, Marion FRA

(15) PAVLYUCHENKOVA, Anastasia RUS vs ZAKOPALOVA, Klara CZE
BONDARENKO, Kateryna UKR vs KING, Vania USA
BARROIS, Kristina GER vs KRAJICEK, Michaella NED
DOMINGUEZ LINO, Lourdes ESP vs (21) IVANOVIC, Ana SRB

(27) KIRILENKO, Maria RUS vs GAJDOSOVA, Jarmila AUS
(WC) ZHANG, Shuai CHN vs WOZNIAK, Aleksandra CAN
BEGU, Irina-Camelia ROU vs SUAREZ NAVARRO, Carla ESP
(2) KVITOVA, Petra CZE vs DUSHEVINA, Vera RUS

Volta
01-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Let's talk about the injuries coming into the Aussie Open:
Serena I watched the replay of her rolling over on that ankle and I think it was really scary; however, there are pictures coming out of Melbourne every day of her practicing and she is as fit as I have ever seen her entering this event. Her abs are amazing. If she has healed up, of course this is her event to win
Sharapova Her ankle. I would be surprised if she makes it to the quarters and she will have her hands full with Dulko in the first round.
Kim Her hip. I would love to see Kim fight hard at this event, but she isn't afraid to retire during a match as of late, so her injury is really pressing on my thoughts.. Li Na as her possible round of 16.. Li Na did really well in Sydney. So...
Wozniacki The left wrist. I was glad she was a good sport and let Radwanska have her win the right way in Sydney. I think Woz loses her number 1 ranking at this event.
Petkovic Out because of a stress fracture in her back. Don't expect to see her for two months. I love watching Petkovic. She is a riot. But I dare say she has the most unorthodox shots. Her technique is very weird, but the girl muscles the ball like no other. Look how highly ranked she is with the game she has. The problem is, when she isn't on, it all breaks down rather rapidly.
Venus Still battling the autoimmune disease and is out. I look for Venus to make a strong push during Wimbledon and the Olympics. I am not saying Venus is going to retire this year or the next, It wouldn't shock me if Venus was on the tour for a while still making the second week at slams and entering doubles events.. but who is to know.

Volta
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
The women's draw looks pretty balanced. I am a Jankovic fan and she has played pretty poorly since August, but I think she has a great draw. Who is to say if she can get past Wozniacki, but I bet she is glad she is not in any of the big hitter's rnd of 16. I think she makes it to the 16's (I hope she does, anyhow).

Chakvetadze vs. Dokic - wow. Both players that like to go for their shots. Can't call that one.
Danilidou vs. Date-Krum - Battle of the veterans. It would be nice to see Eleni get a win here.
Stosur vs. Cirstea - not an easy first round, but I think Sam should be ok.
Zvonereva vs. Dulgerhru - I think this is the upset in the making.
Safarova vs. Mchale - Lucie is a strong player, if Mchale wants to beat her she better bring her A-game.
Mirza vs. Pironkova - like the Dokic match, it is too close to call.
Rezai vs. Peng - Rezai won't go down without a slug fest, imo.
Stephens vs. Espinosa - Two totally different styles. I think Espinosa is just going to get every ball back and Sloane will dictate the points.. we shall see.

My favorite is Serena
Her toughest competitor is Kim
Player who will struggle is Kvitova - she just hates the heat.
Darkhorse is Azarenka and maybe just maybe Li Na

Volta
01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Mens Single's Draw

(1) DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB vs LORENZI, Paolo ITA
GIRALDO, Santiago COL vs (Q)
ITO, Tatsuma JPN (WC) vs STARACE, Potito ITA
MAHUT, Nicolas FRA vs STEPANEK, Radek CZE (29)

(23) RAONIC, Milos CAN vs VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA
ROSOL, Lukas CZE vs PETZSCHNER, Philipp GER
STEBE, Cedrik-Marcel GER vs HEWITT, Lleyton AUS (WC)
HAASE, Robin NED vs RODDICK, Andy USA (15)

(9) TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB vs TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS
DUCKWORTH, James AUS (WC) vs (Q)
YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS vs (Q)
SEPPI, Andreas ITA vs GASQUET, Richard FRA (17)

(27) CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG vs RUSSELL, Michael USA
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS vs ANDUJAR, Pablo ESP
BACHINGER, Matthias GER vs SWEETING, Ryan USA
MACHADO, Rui POR vs FERRER, David ESP (5)

(4) MURRAY, Andy GBR vs HARRISON, Ryan USA
MALISSE, Xavier BEL vs ROGER-VASSELIN, Edouard FRA
LLODRA, Michael FRA vs GULBIS, Ernests LAT
GIMENO-TRAVER, Daniel ESP vs BOGOMOLOV JR., Alex RUS (32)

(19) TROICKI, Viktor SRB vs FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP vs KUKUSHKIN, Mikhail KAZ
BELLUCCI, Thomaz BRA vs SELA, Dudi ISR
MATOSEVIC, Marinko AUS (WC) vs MONFILS, Gael FRA (14)

(12) SIMON, Gilles FRA vs (Q)
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA vs BECK, Karol SVK
SOUZA, Joao BRA vs EBDEN, Matthew AUS
ROBERT, Stephane FRA vs NISHIKORI, Kei JPN (24)

(26) GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP vs LEVINE, Jesse USA (WC)
GIL, Frederico POR vs DODIG, Ivan CRO
MELLO, Ricardo BRA vs (Q)
ISTOMIN, Denis UZB vs TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA (6)

Bottom Half:

(8) FISH, Mardy USA vs MULLER, Gilles LUX
FALLA, Alejandro COL vs FOGNINI, Fabio ITA
MONTANES, Albert ESP vs RIBA, Pere ESP
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs MONACO, Juan ARG (25)

(20) MAYER, Florian GER vs LU, Yen-Hsun TPE
DARCIS, Steve BEL vs (Q)
KAVCIC, Blaz SLO vs (Q)
MANNARINO, Adrian FRA vs DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG (11)

(13) DOLGOPOLOV, Alexandr UKR vs JONES, Greg AUS (WC)
KAMKE, Tobias GER vs HANESCU, Victor ROU
DE SCHEPPER, Kenny FRA (WC) vs QUERREY, Sam USA
TOMIC, Bernard AUS vs VERDASCO, Fernando ESP (22)

(31) MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO
BERLOCQ, Carlos ARG vs (Q)
PRODON, Eric FRA vs BECK, Andreas GER
(3) FEDERER, Roger SUI vs (Q)

(7) BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs - RAMOS, Albert ESP
ROCHUS, Olivier BEL vs (Q)
STAKHOVSKY, Sergiy UKR vs (Q)
(30) ANDERSON, Kevin RSA vs (Q)

(21) WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI vs PAIRE, Benoit FRA
BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP vs BECKER, Benjamin GER
CHARDY, Jeremy FRA vs DIMITROV, Grigor BUL
KUBOT, Lukasz POL vs (10) ALMAGRO, Nicolas ESP

(16) ISNER, John USA vs MITCHELL, Benjamin AUS (WC)
NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN vs NALBANDIAN, David ARG
CIPOLLA, Flavio ITA vs DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS
MAYER, Leonardo ARG vs LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP (18)

(28) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO vs (Q)
YOUNG, Donald USA vs (Q)
HAAS, Tommy GER vs (Q)
(2) NADAL, Rafael ESP vs (Q)

Volta
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
It will take me a while to process the Men's draw because I don't find it nearly as balanced as the Women's. There are so many upsets in the making. It sucks that Tipsarevic is finally in the top 10, has a great seeding, and has to play Tursunov who is literally Janko's kryptonite.

Lu vs. Mayer is going 5 sets.
Roddick against Haase? hmmm
The Muller/Fish match.. again like Tipsy.. bad draw for Fish.
Verdasco against Tomic. Too bad. Australia's next great hope. Verdasco has so much fire power.
I'd like to see Cippola take out Davydenko.

My winner is Djokovic.
His main opponent is Federer (depending on his back) or Murray if Fed's health is not 100%
Who will not play to their seed for me is Nadal
Darkhorse is Tsonga. I really think he is going to make something happen here.

Volta
01-16-2012, 05:02 AM
I am happy that Bernard was able to come back from 2 sets down to beat Verdasco, but his style of play is so draining. If he thinks he is going to get far in a major playing slow ball and five-set tennis.. he has another thing coming. Yes, he has an awesome slice, but he is going to have to start flattening out the ball when he is up against the bigger hitters. I really like him and I wish him well, but the commentators seem to think he will get more power as he gets older, and I think the opposite, the more he sees he can win matches by just getting the ball back in play and waiting for the error, the more he will stay in that rut every match. Look at Monfils who plays a similar way.. yea, you may get in the top 20 for a year or so, but you really have to be the energizer bunny to win matches in the second week of majors playing that many sets and hours going into it.

He has to learn how to shorten points.

seso
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM
is Fernando Gonzalez playing Australian Open this year ?

Volta
01-21-2012, 05:11 AM
No Fernando, but we did see Tommy Haas for a few rounds. :)

Volta
01-22-2012, 05:49 AM
For those watching the Clijsters/Li Na match.. can you believe that tiebreak??? Li had 4 match points in the tiebreak, got a high bouncing drop shot to put away on the backhand, and Kim hit the lob winner. CRAZY!!! Now Kim is in the driver's seat. I literally thought Kim was out of this tournament. That was an unbelievable turnaround.

Volta
01-22-2012, 05:49 AM
I feel so bad for Li Na. She completely fell apart.

fullofwish
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I stayed up until midnight last night watching the Sharapova-Lisicki match - it was great! I was really gunning for Lisicki, she played an awesome game. Maria's serve was dodgy (so many double faults!) but her outfit was all kinds of awesome (love the lime green!).

I only saw the last few games of the Williams-Makarova match but Serena did not look good, match-wise. I know she hasn't played much recently and you can tell. Her last shot of the game almost looked like it went out on purpose, like she wasn't even trying. Also, every time the commentators said Makarova I thought they were going to say Macarena and that stupid dance ended up in my head ;l

I was tempted to stay up and watch the Djokovic-Hewitt match, but went to bed hoping I'd wake up this morning to find Hewitt was out of the tournament ... and I got my wish. I can't stand Hewitt, he pisses me off and I just wish he'd retire already.

Volta
01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Women's Final: Sharapova vs. Azarenka. This will be a great match and a very loud match. Both players, as you all know, are screamers.

Nadal is already into the Men's final. Tonight his opponent will be decided :)

Volta
01-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Women's Final Result Azarenka def. Sharapova 6-3 6-0
I am so excited for Azarenka. First time major winner. :)

Volta
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Djokovic def. Nadal in what was the longest ever grand slam final match. It was incredible. So happy for Djokovic. Idemo!

seso
02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
my fav tennis cutie Fernando Gonzalez has announced he will retire after one more tournament...

Volta
04-08-2012, 09:36 AM
(USA) Serena Williams vs. (CZE) Lucie Safarova in the finals of the first tournament of the Clay Court Season - The Family Circle Cup in Charlston South Carolina.
Match will be televised live on ESPN2 at 1pm est.

seso
05-27-2012, 03:28 PM
who's watching the French Open ? I hope Tamarine Tanasugarn will go to the second round & would love to see the match between Francesca Schiavone and Kimiko Date Krumm (I still have fond memories of watching her battle Dinara Safina at Roland Garros a few years ago)

Volta
05-30-2012, 02:30 AM
www.RolandGarros.com for anyone who is following the 2nd Major of the year.

Serena (The favorite) came into the French with a 17-0 clay court record this year. She has beaten all the top players on clay this year. She has never lost an opening round match at a major. Virginie Razzano of France just took her out

Virginie Razzano FRA def. Serena Williams USA 4/6 7/6(5) 6/3 - Serena was up 5-1 in the second set tiebreak and lost 6 points in a row. Then in the third, Razzano was called on 3 hindrance calls, took her 8 match points to close Serena out.
This is a monumental upset. Can't believe it.
Serena was crying between sets. When Razzano got the set to 5-all I could tell Serena lost her edge.. she just couldn't believe Razzano was staying with her. Then the over-rule when Serena stopped play to have the mark looked at. Wow.
Virginie is 111 in the world. Serena has only ever lost to someone outside the top 100 once before in 1998.

abaddog
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Both Williams sisters out. No great loss, but the women's tour needs a few outstanding marquee players badly, in order to compete for attention with thte men's tour. 10 years ago we had Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, Seles, Williams sisters all competing for titles, all 'all-time greats". Who on tour right now will we remember in 5 years other than Venus and Serena? Maybe Maria.

Saw a bit of Murray's match last day- he's looking good, but tough match today

menju56
05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
Serena's loss was a shock but I'm glad Razzano closed it out. Just imagine if she had lost it having had those seven match points. The women's side, as ever, is fairly open. Schiavone and Li Na haven't had the best of years so far but they both seem to have hit good form at the right moment. But really I think now that Serena is out of the way, the title is Maria Sharapova's to lose. Although, having said that, somebody like Radwanska could potentially give her trouble as someone who gets loads of balls back and these days seems to be able to cope well with the big hitters.

On the men's side, I do enjoy seeing who comes out on top from the Djokovic/Nadal/Federer "big three" and I'd be shocked if they don't reach the semis, but I think Nadal's in better form at the moment so he's my pick.

seso
06-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Kuznetsova her hair is funny

Volta
06-04-2012, 07:52 AM
I don't see Maria winning this title. I see her making it to the semifinals or maybe even a final.. but Li Na, Kerber, Stosur, Kanepi, even a Cibulkova feel like winners to me. Maria is the favorite. The favorite almost never wins...

If Nadal doesn't win on the men's side that would be a shock, considering his form coming into the event.

Volta
06-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Sharapova vs. Errani for the title!!!
C'mon Errani!!!

menju56
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
https://p.twimg.com/Au9U6iICIAETnv4.jpg:large

Volta
06-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I only watched her win. I didn't linger around the tv to hear her post-match speech. I am happy for her. It is a rare thing to have a career slam.

I am trying to figure out what channel will show the resumption of the Djokovic/Nadal Final. I heard, yesterday, that the weather reports were not so much better today but hopefully they can finish the match. I did hear it would start at 7am EST.

Volta
06-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Cilic def. Nalbandian at the Aegon Championships today on a default. I've never seen anything like this during a final.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=rLv-HabtbXA&NR=1

I've seen defaults when people threw their stick and it hits a lines judge or a ball boy or girl. But I have never seen someone kick a lines judge, make them bleed, and then get defaulted in a championship match.

seso
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
and Kirsten Flipkens beats Samantha Stosur - the world has gone mad

Volta
06-19-2012, 01:42 AM
I never feel comfortable with Stosur on grass.
Glad that Melanie Ouidan won her first singles title!

Volta
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Anybody else paying attention to Wimbledon?
Rafa is gone.
Thank the tennis gods!
I do not enjoy watching that man play (picking his butt before every serve and sometimes smelling his fingers after)
But he was gracious after losing. Signing all those autograph.. if I was in his place I would have stormed off the court.

seso
06-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm loving the match between Federer and Benneteau - some wonderful shots, with Anna Wintour watching. And Benneteau looks kinda cute too

Volta
06-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Benneteau is probably one of the best players never to win a title. I think he has been in 7 or more finals.
I hope he can do it, but Federer seems to have all the momentum.

seso
06-29-2012, 10:40 PM
such an entertaining match

at one point, Federer seemed to mumble something à la, don't you recognise a double fault when you see you ? to the umpire.

and then some discussion about Benneteau his massage

Volta
07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Very upset with the Wimbledon Officials decision today. They should have put two more matches on under the center court retractable roof.

I know they have TRADITION to uphold, but when you have a forecast for rain the next three days, you have to get those matches complete.

Mayer and Gasquet should have been put on center to finish that section of the draw up. I know Wimbledon doesn't want to play after 11pm... but that needs to be changed. The other two majors that have courts with lights will play the schedule until it's done. If a match lasts til 3am then a match lasts til 3am. I already see Wimbledon playing the mens final into the next (third week).
ANd I think they should have put the other men's match up after the Mayer one finished. Yes, they would have been up late into the next morning, but sometimes you have to do that to keep the schedule going. They need to start play at 10 am or maybe even 9:30 am and end late at least past 11pm. So start it earlier and end it later until all the matches are back on schedule.

Volta
07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Chodzmy Radwanska!!!!
So happy Aggie is into her first slam semifinal!!!!

Volta
07-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Andy Murray into the final. Historic! 70+ years since a British man has been in the final.

Volta
07-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I got a little teary-eyed watching Serena win. After all she's been through.

menju56
07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I was concerned it was going to be a terrible final when Serena led 6-1 4-2 but Radwanska put in a good performance to take it to three competitive sets; both were pretty emotional in their post-match interviews with Sue Barker. I also enjoyed both the men's and women's doubles finals - first Brit to win the men's doubles since 1936 (Lindstedt from the other team was pretty grumpy!) in a great match, and then the Williams sisters. I was particularly happy for Venus, who won it with an ace on match point for her first title since the Sjogren's diagnosis.

dAmION
07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Up and watching! :) (Federer and Murray!)

spyk_
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Me too!! I think this could take a while...

seso
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
so sad - Federer won the Wimbledon title but Eurosport UK is all about Murray his loss. What a bunch of losers

menju56
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Murray played a stronger and more attacking game in this final, and cut out a lot of the annoying grimacing and huffing and puffing (but goodness me does he milk it when he slips over.) But Federer deserved the victory in the end, I felt. Some of those shots were sublime.

At the Champions' Ball

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Roger+Federer+Wimbledon+Championships+2012+Sw6mRiF2iSCx.jpg

menju56
09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Anyone watching the US Open?

Both Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick finished their careers at the event. Here's the end of Andy's match, with speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r-V451F_4M

Also, Venus' new boyfriend is getting some attention. Apparently she told an Italian magazine that she is "like an octopus" in bed with him!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.php?server=100&filename=pic1vs.png&res=landing

The tennis champ has been dating businessman Enrico for several months but has mainly remained silent on their romance apart from a few sightings in public.

While her sister Serena is usually the more prominent out of the two, Venus appears to be quite the dare devil in her personal life and says handsome Enrico has turned her into somewhat of a freak in the bedroom.

"He’s a 29-year-old businessman and he comes from Rome – but I’m not going to say more," Venus said after revealing she is "like an octopus" between the sheets.

Who knew Venus had such a naughty personality?! Although looking at her boyfriend, we don't blame her!

seso
09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
haha, nice for Venus to have such fun ! Somehow I always expect her to stop, cuz her career seems like such a hard road lately

as for Roddick his retirement...he was not one I enjoyed watching, but is kinda strange to see him stop. Really the end of an era, he was always there in the background.
and Clijsters...well, we saw that one coming from a mile ago. Lately I got the feeling she was just doing what she promised, she didn't seem all that invested into tennis anymore to me.

I'm getting a bit bored with Serena her dominance over women's tennis lately. She's playing great and that's nice for her, but she's so going to win the tournament. Her final at the Olympics against Sharapova told so much - if she really wants to, she can beat them all

Volta
09-11-2012, 01:32 AM
I am so happy right now. My favorite player on the men's side, Andy Murray (Brave Andy Murray) won his first major at the US Open. It was an epic 5-set match. I'm just so happy for him. What a year. Winning the Olympic Gold and now his first major. It's not happened since 1936 for a British man.

menju56
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Serena's amazing summer

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2haeOTCcAEocr4.jpg:large

Becka
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
#1 Junior Tennis Player in the World Benched for Being Too Fat : The USTA doesn't want 16-year-old prodigy Taylor Townsend playing tennis until she's dropped some weight. OBVIOUSLY this is ridiculous on a whole bunch of levels.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/1-junior-tennis-player-in-the-world-benched-for-being-too-fat

Volta
01-14-2013, 04:46 AM
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2013

The first grand slam event of the year started today/tonight depending on where you are.
Thoughts/Predictions/Comments?
I have quite a lot since I've watched a lot of matches already.

1.) Serena's biggest opponent will be herself. There is no way anyone should beat her unless she injures herself or just starts firing unforced errors one after the other.
2.) Watch out for Radwanska. She has cleaned up in the pre-tournaments.
3.) Cheering for Andy Murray.. but the way Djokovic beat Paul-Henri Matieu today painting the lines and spinning aces left and right.. I just don't know.
4.) How will the Aussies fare? Hewitt plays Tipseravic tonight. I want Tipsy to win but I heard that Hewitt is playing his best tennis in a long time.
5.) Venus looked great in her match today so did Sharapova. Can't believe they will meet in the 3rd round most likely. That is worthy of a final.
6.) When did Sharapova start dating Grigor Dimitrov? I thought she was engaged to a basketball player?
7.) The only seeded American man is Sam Querrey; however, there are a lot of seeded/unseeded American women that are doing great start of the year. Sloane Stephens was in the semifinals in Hobart last week. Madison Keys powerful tennis is sure to get her a few wins. Vevarra Lepchenko, Christina Mchale and Lauren Davis all are improving.

What else? hmm?

I hope Jelena Jankovic does well. She is my favorite player. If she can make the third round I will be happy.

seso
01-14-2013, 07:55 AM
it would be nice to see Jelena Jankovic get back to her winning game. But more so, I would love to see her smile again on the court like she used to

a bit sad that Tamarine Tanasugarn didn't make it to the final draw

I hope Venus can put up a good fight against Sharapova. I guess Serena will be the one winning this tournament, she seems so full of confidence and unbeatable lately.
Radwanska must be feeling confident too, cuz she gave Cibulkova a double bagel in her last final before this Australian Open

oh, it looks like Nadia Petrova is playing Date Krumm - I would love to see that (although I think Petrova will be winning it)!

and Verdasco looks different with his beard and ponytail !

Volta
01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Results from day 1 under the spoiler

Men's Results, Monday, 14 January 2012

Singles - First Round
[1] N Djokovic (SRB) d. P Mathieu (FRA) 62 64 75
[4] D Ferrer (ESP) d. O Rochus (BEL) 63 64 62
[5] T Berdych (CZE) d. M Russell (USA) 63 75 63
[8] J Tipsarevic (SRB) d. L Hewitt (AUS) 76(4) 75 63
[10] N Almagro (ESP) d. S Johnson (USA) 75 67(4) 62 67(8) 62
A Kuznetsov (RUS) d. [11] J Monaco (ARG) 76(3) 61 61
[15] S Wawrinka (SUI) d. C Stebe (GER) 62 64 63
[16] K Nishikori (JPN) d. V Hanescu (ROU) 67(5) 63 61 63
[20] S Querrey (USA) d. D Munoz-De La Nava (ESP) 67(2) 64 62 64
[22] F Verdasco (ESP) d. D Goffin (BEL) 63 36 46 63 64
[23] M Youzhny (RUS) d. M Ebden (AUS) 46 67(0) 62 76(4) 63 - saved 1 M.P.
[24] J Janowicz (POL) d. S Bolelli (ITA) 75 64 63
[26] J Melzer (AUT) d. M Kukushkin (KAZ) 61 61 62
[28] M Baghdatis (CYP) d. A Ramos (ESP) 67(0) 76(4) 64 36 63
[31] R Stepanek (CZE) d. V Troicki (SRB) 57 46 63 63 75
[32] J Benneteau (FRA) d. G Dimitrov (BUL) 64 62 64
T Ito (JPN) d. J Millman (AUS) 64 64 36 06 75
R Bautista Agut (ESP) d. F Fognini (ITA) 60 26 64 36 61
R Harrison (USA) d. S Giraldo (COL) 26 64 75 64
E Donskoy (RUS) d. A Ungur (ROU) 64 64 62
S Devvarman (IND) d. B Phau (GER) 63 62 63
E Roger-Vasselin (FRA) d. R Bemelmans (BEL) 63 67(5) 26 75 11-9
F Lopez (ESP) d. A Brugues-Davi (ESP) 63 62 64
K Anderson (RSA) d. P Lorenzi (ITA) 36 76(3) 63 64
G Rufin (FRA) d. J Reister (GER) 46 76(4) 61 62
X Malisse (BEL) d. P Andujar (ESP) 63 61 62
[LL] T Smyczek (USA) d. I Karlovic (CRO) 64 76(5) 75
B Baker (USA) d. A Bogomolov Jr. (RUS) 76(4) 63 67(0) 36 62
L Lacko (SVK) d. G Muller (LUX) 62 64 76(3)
D Gimeno-Traver (ESP) d. L Kubot (POL) 67(4) 64 60 46 64
C Berlocq (ARG) d. M Authom (BEL) 16 76(5) 76(4) 62
T Kamke (GER) d. F Cipolla (ITA) 61 64 61

Women's Results, Monday, 14 January 2012

Singles - First Round
(2) Maria Sharapova (RUS) d. Olga Puchkova (RUS) 60 60
(4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) d. (WC) Bojana Bobusic (AUS) 75 60
(5) Angelique Kerber (GER) d. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 62 64
(6) Li Na (CHN) d. Sesil Karatantcheva (KAZ) 61 63
(9) Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Chang Kai-Chen (TPE) 76(3) 63
(11) Marion Bartoli (FRA) d. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP) 62 64
(13) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Melinda Czink (HUN) 62 61
(15) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) d. (WC) Ashleigh Barty (AUS) 36 60 61
(18) Julia Goerges (GER) d. (Q) Vera Dushevina (RUS) 75 26 64
(19) Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) d. (Q) Michelle Larcher de Brito (POR) 62 75
(22) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) d. Johanna Larsson (SWE) 62 62
(23) Klara Zakopalova (CZE) d. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) 61 62
(25) Venus Williams (USA) d. Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 61 60
(27) Sorana Cirstea (ROU) d. Coco Vandeweghe (USA) 64 62
(30) Tamira Paszek (AUT) d. Stefanie Voegele (SUI) 46 64 75
Ksenia Pervak (KAZ) d. (32) Mona Barthel (GER) 75 26 64
Zheng Jie (CHN) d. (WC) Zhang Yuxuan (CHN) 61 36 64
Alizé Cornet (FRA) d. Marina Erakovic (NZL) 75 67(3) 108
Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) d. Nina Bratchikova (RUS) 64 63
Heather Watson (GBR) d. Alexandra Cadantu (ROU) 26 63 62
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) d. Kiki Bertens (NED) 62 76(8)
Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) d. Arantxa Rus (NED) 64 62
Olga Govortsova (BLR) d. Pauline Parmentier (FRA) 26 63 62
Romina Oprandi (SUI) d. Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 46 75 62
Misaki Doi (JPN) d. Petra Martic (CRO) 63 64
Stéphanie Foretz Gacon (FRA) d. Camila Giorgi (ITA) 62 63
Kristyna Pliskova (CZE) d. (WC) Sacha Jones (AUS) 63 62
(Q) Chan Yung-Jan (TPE) d. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 61 16 61
(Q) Vesna Dolonc (SRB) d. (WC) Olivia Rogowska (AUS) 57 75 86
(Q) Maria Joao Koehler (POR) d. (Q) Karin Knapp (ITA) 36 63 63
(Q) Valeria Savinykh (RUS) d. Mandy Minella (LUX) 76(4) 61
(WC) Madison Keys (USA) d. Casey Dellacqua (AUS) 64 76(0)

Volta
01-14-2013, 07:44 PM
I haven't looked at the order of play for today but I can't see Petrova losing to Date-Krumm.

seso
01-15-2013, 12:16 AM
a shame that no one is broadcasting the Petrova Date-Krumm match here, because Kimiko seems to be racing towards a win

Volta
01-15-2013, 01:13 AM
^O my.. Kimiko wiped the court with Petrova. A beat down. I didn't see that coming. I also didn't see Errani going down to Suarez Navarro.

I did predict Wozniacki would come good against Sabine Lisciki only because of the heat. Sabine is going to come at you with 100 percent power behind every shot and in this kind of heat I just think she has a better chance of going off the rails and hitting shots nearly deliriously. And that is what did her in.. the UEs. Caroline did nothing special. She ran everything down and waited for the error.
At Wimbledon, in cooler temps, Sabine will beat Caroline 9 times out of 10.. but in this heat on a slow hard court.. gotta go with Caroline.

Volta
01-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Seso,
I was able to find a site that has really reliable live streams:
http://www.frombar.tv/c-4.html
Sometimes you have to click the second or third link but it is how I watched the Woz/Lisciki match.

Volta
01-15-2013, 01:23 AM
I am going to try and stay up for Bernard Tomic's match. If only to see a couple points.
He certainly is a mouthy, big talking player as of late. I kind of like that. He won Sydney so maybe he'll live up to his own hype :) hehe.

seso
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
thanks for the link Knox

Volta
01-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Day 2 Results

Men's Results, Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Singles - First Round
[2] R Federer (SUI) d. B Paire (FRA) 62 64 61
[3] A Murray (GBR) d. R Haase (NED) 63 61 63
[6] J Del Potro (ARG) d. A Mannarino (FRA) 61 62 62
[7] J Tsonga (FRA) d. M Llodra (FRA) 64 75 62
[9] R Gasquet (FRA) d. A Montanes (ESP) 75 62 61
[12] M Cilic (CRO) d. M Matosevic (AUS) 64 75 62
[13] M Raonic (CAN) d. J Hajek (CZE) 36 61 62 76(0)
[14] G Simon (FRA) d. F Volandri (ITA) 26 63 62 62
[17] P Kohlschreiber (GER) d. S Darcis (BEL) 62 63 64
G Monfils d. [18] A Dolgopolov (UKR) 67(7) 76(4) 63 63
J Nieminen d. [19] T Haas 76(3) 46 63 46 86 - Saved 1 M.P.
[21] A Seppi (ITA) d. H Zeballos (ARG) 62 64 62
[25] F Mayer d. R Williams 26 36 62 76(12) 61 - Saved 2 M.P.
[27] M Klizan (SVK) d. D Brands (GER) 63 36 63 64
B Kavcic (SLO) d. [29] T Bellucci (BRA) 63 61 63
[30] M Granollers d. G Zemlja (SLO) 76(6) 76(5) 1-0 ret. (illness)
B Tomic (AUS) d. L Mayer (ARG) 63 62 63
J Duckworth (AUS) d. B Mitchell (AUS) 64 76(8) 46 57 86
G Soeda (JPN) d. L Saville (AUS) 67(4) 63 62 63
J Sousa (POR) d. J Smith (AUS) 64 61 64
J Levine (CAN) d. T Robredo (ESP) 76(5) 67(2) 64 64
I Dodig (CRO) d. D Wu (CHN) 75 46 63 63
J Chardy d. A Menendez-Maceiras 76(5) 67(3) 62 61
B Becker (GER) d. A Bedene (SLO) 46 63 75 76(1)
R Berankis (LTU) d. S Stakhovsky (UKR) 62 76(4) 75
N Davydenko (RUS) d. D Sela (ISR) 36 61 75 63
A Weintraub (ISR) d. G Pella (ARG) 76(2) 75 62
Y Lu (TPE) d. Ruben R Hidalgo (ESP) 62 61 46 61
A Falla (COL) d. J Ouanna (FRA) 64 75 64
R Ram (USA) d. G Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 64 64 36 62
L Rosol (CZE) d. J Baker (GBR) 76(5) 75 62
D Istomin (UZB) d. I Sijsling (NED) 46 63 64 62

Women's Results, Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Singles - First Round
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 61 64
(3) Serena Williams (USA) d. Edina Gallovits-Hall (ROU) 60 60
Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) d. (7) Sara Errani (ITA) 64 64
(8) Petra Kvitova (CZE) d. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 64 26 62
(10) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. Sabine Lisicki (GER) 26 63 63
Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN) d. (12) Nadia Petrova (RUS) 62 60
(14) Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Vania King (USA) 64 62
(16) Roberta Vinci (ITA) d. Sílvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) 63 75
(17) Lucie Safarova (CZE) d. Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO) 76(4) 64
(20) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. (WC) Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) 61 75
(21) Varvara Lepchenko (USA)d. Polona Hercog (SLO) 64 61
(Q) Lesia Tsurenko (UKR) d. (24) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) 75 36 75
(26) Hsieh Su-Wei (TPE) d. Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino (ESP) 76(5) 62
Annika Beck (GER) d. (28) Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) 62 67(7) 63
(29) Sloane Stephens (USA) d. Simona Halep (ROU) 61 61
Jamie Hampton (USA) d. (31) Urszula Radwanska (POL) 62 64
Peng Shuai (CHN) d. Rebecca Marino (CAN) 63 60
Elena Vesnina (RUS) d. (WC) Caroline Garcia (FRA) 36 63 61
Laura Robson (GBR) d. Melanie Oudin (USA) 62 63
Bojana Jovanovski (SRB) d. María-Teresa Torró-Flor (ESP) 26 64 63
Ayumi Morita (JPN) d. Anna Tatishvili (GEO) 63 63
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) d. Lourdes Domínguez Lino (ESP) 62 61
Shahar Peer (ISR) d. Alexandra Panova (RUS) 64 16 63
Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) d. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 75 57 64
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) d. Timea Babos (HUN) 63 46 119
Donna Vekic (CRO) d. Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) 61 62
Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) d. Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) 46 61 1412
Jana Cepelova (SVK) d. (Q) Greta Arn (HUN) 62 62
Yulia Putintseva (KAZ) d. Christina McHale (USA) 61 67(0) 62
(Q) Akgul Amanmuradova (UZB) d. Mathilde Johansson (FRA) 64 62
(Q) Luksika Kumkhum (THA) d. Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) 76(5) 64
(Q) Daria Gavrilova (RUS) d. Lauren Davis (USA) 63 67(2) 64

fullofwish
01-16-2013, 04:56 AM
I managed to catch most of the first set in the Zheng/Stosur match and Sam was STRUGGLING. She was mis-hitting shots all over the place, her serve was dodgy ... she really looked a bit of a mess. Apparently her opponent is the same person who kicked her out of the first round of the lead-up tournament as well. It looks like she is going to take the second set (she's 5-1 up the moment) but damn. I know she is the hometown hero in this tournament but today is any indication, she is really going to struggle if she gets past this match,

Volta
01-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Watching Sam buckle in on herself was hard. She served for the match TWICE and couldn't make good. I am speechless. I mean that loss is going to haunt her for a while.

And then you had my JJ crying for three games because of.. well I don't know. The crowd was against her in a really extreme way. I don't really understand what happened. Maybe it was her medical time out being seen as gamesmanship but Jelena is usually loved by the Aussie crowds and they were all for Maria. And give Maria credit she was dictating the game hitting winners left, right, and center. She has a big lefty game. Mary Carillo would definitely call her a big babe with that power. She has a huge career ahead of her.

Jelena should have closed the 2nd set out earlier, tho. She had 5 set points at 6/5 and then when she went down early in the tiebreak I thought it was over. But somehow by the skin of her teeth she came back and the third set was pretty routine.. nervy because of the circumstances but at least the crowd calmed down on her.

Now her countrywoman is in a dogfight on Margaret Court Arena. Ivanovic will probably win this match but both Serbs were challenged and they will face each other in the third round if Ana can pull this win out.

EDIT: Another double bagel served up by Maria Sharapova.
I hope Venus can pull through against Cornet tonight. I don't see how Cornet could give Venus any real struggle. Just depends on how Venus approaches the match. Cornet won't make errors so Venus needs to keep her error count low and just play within herself.
Venus could beat Cornet in less than an hour or she could go out in a long, hard fought 3-setter. I get so nervous watching Venus play anymore. These matches for her used to be routine but nothing has really been that easy as of late.

fullofwish
01-17-2013, 04:40 AM
If you guys are interested in listening online to some commentary, you can also try AO Radio - the official commentary of the Australian Open: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/interactive/radio/index.html

I'm listening to it at the moment - Brand v Tomic

iamstilljamiepoo
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I am ashamed to admit I've watched about five minutes of this tournament. I usually watch daily, since I have DirecTV, but my life has been cray cray lately.
Hopefully I'll catch Sharapova/Venus, though.
Too bad about the American playing Sam Querry. Looked like a nasty injury

Volta
01-18-2013, 02:39 AM
^Yea, Brian Baker. He was out 7 years with injuries. It was a strange injury to watch because he's never had knee problems.. and he was sliding and he didn't go over. It looked like a routine return and when he put weight down on it he immediately pulled up. I heard him say, "I've never had a knee injury/problem to the trainer." He had a tommy-john operation on his arm.. and many other surgeries arm/wrist related. Ended up he tore his meniscus. That is a 4 month recovery. Poor guy.
Sam Querrey plays today. Lone American left in the men's draw.

Ana Ivanovic def. Jelena Jankovic 7/5 6/3. It was hard to watch my JJ lose but honestly I am happy with how she played. She was down 5/2 and got it back to 5/5 winning 14 straight points. They were both putting some major heat on that ball and it is just unfortunate that Jelena decided to play aggressively towards the end of the match and not from the start. She's still in the doubles with Mirjiana Lucic. So..

Venus/Sharapova tonight.. my goodness that should be a good match. I don't think Venus can contend with Maria but you never know. I want Venus to win really badly but Sharapova hasn't lost a game in this tournament. Hard to believe she'd lose a set.

seso
01-18-2013, 09:12 AM
good to see Venus walking away with a smile, cuz at times I thought she looked flat and tired. Also loved how at 5-2 in the second set, she suddenly brought some fun back to the game. After that, Sharapova her game just looked that more boring suddenly. Anyhow, next up for Sharapova is Kirsten Flipkens, I hope she will be able to put a fight.

menju56
01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Sharapova did play very well, Venus just didn't seem to switch on until 5-1 down in the second set and by then it was too late. Her best play was in those last few games. But the good thing is that, since not playing in the first part of 2012, her ranking will continue to improve. I think she needs more of these kind of match-ups against top players. She nearly beat Kerber at the US Open, and she was amazing in the doubles at the Olympics, so I think she still has it in her.

fullofwish
01-19-2013, 09:09 AM
The second set between Tomic and Federer was OUTSTANDING, the tiebreaker in particular. Both players were sublime and I even found myself barracking for Tomic, even though I generally don't like him. However, the third set really showed how mentally immature Tomic is in comparison to Roger. He just gave up really, you could see it written all over his face that he just didn't know what else to do and lost the mental fight.

iamstilljamiepoo
01-19-2013, 06:29 PM
I might be in the minority when I say that I can't stand Roger Federer. I don't really have a reason, as I'm not really in the Nadal camp, either. I don't like Djokovic. I am more of a Murray fan. But honestly, I don't have too much of a stake in it since Roddick retired. Or rather, Agassi.

fullofwish
01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I am kinda with you with that. I don't really barrack for any particular player - not Nadal, not Djokovic, definitely not Murray (;)). I think I liked Federer a lot when he first came on the scene, but not so much now. I don't think I've been really hooked on a player since Sampras, especially since my best friend felt the same about Agassi and we used to have so much fun watching them play each other. I really liked Roddick as well. Maybe I'm just waiting here for a charming, attractive, big-serving American to take my tennis heart again ;l

Volta
01-20-2013, 03:40 AM
I am not at all a Federer enthusiast/extremist. I don't have a particular reason for it. In the last ten years I just got extremely tired of him winning EVERYTHING! haha.

Spoilering for size:

The year he won his only French Open title Tommy Haas was on the edge or verge of giving him an early-round exit and I was going crazy for Haas. Tommy is a player that pretty much everyone roots for but for that match everyone was against him. I remember saying, "Federer has years and years ahead of him to win the French.. this is perhaps Tommy's last chance to try and win a major of any kind." Ah well.
I doubt Federer cares. He is beloved by everyone in the sport. He will always at least make it to the semifinals of a slam. I guess I just find it more interesting when the next tier of players are able to make a deep run at a major. What decisions they make.. and how they go about it.

But I am a big fan of Andy Murray. Watching him win the Olympics was tremendously gratifying as a fan and when he followed that up with the US Open it was almost too much to take in.
I can tolerate Djokovic. I like his personality on court. I think his athleticism is insane.
I have nothing for the other two. hehe. If I never have to watch Rafa pick his butt serving out the French Open or Federer fall to the ground after winning a major in straight sets again I will be more than ok with it. lol.

And now a little praise for the guy I can't stand:
Federer's success is definitely, however, what I love about this sport. He isn't extremely muscular. He barely has any muscle on his serving arm at all, actually. But he has easy power on all his shots. He's never been injured. He hardly even breaks a sweat.
It's all about the movement.. movement on the court and movement into his shots.
He looks like a dancer out there sometimes. It just goes to show you that anyone can generate power in tennis with accuracy and precision. Anyone. Flexibility helps as well but if you take the ball early and rotate into the shot you can be as powerful as almost anyone at any given time.
His consistency is what is really remarkable. And of course his strategy and mental game will never be equaled.

I love to play tennis. And I think a lot of people would love it too if they just were patient enough to give it a chance. I've played matches where someone in their 60's out powered me and someone younger and more fit couldn't win a game against me. It is truly one of those sports that anyone at any age can play.

fullofwish
01-20-2013, 04:14 AM
I certainly think tennis (and probably other sports) get a bit boring when they are dominated by just one person/team. Women's tennis was amazing for about 5 minutes when the Williams sisters first came on the scene, then when they won everything and noone could challenge them, it just got boring. There was a time a few years ago when Federer was the same, and I think a lot of people got over him then and were delighted when the likes of Nadal, Djokovic etc came along and could beat him.

If I am going to throw my support behind anyone in the mens competition it will be David Ferrar. He is fun to watch, a top class player, plus he won our local tournament (for the fourth time) right before the Open started.

I played tennis as a kid and really loved it but my parents made me stop playing when I was 13 because whenever I lost a match I was a horrible loser ;l One time I stomped off court in the middle of a match because I was pissed off/embarassed at myself for doing something wrong ;l;l So they thought team sports would be better for me and I think they were probably right!!

iamstilljamiepoo
01-20-2013, 04:29 AM
I played tennis in high school and college. I love it.
I find women's tennis more interesting, I guess. I always have. It could be that I'm a woman. I didn't care that the Williams sisters dominated, as tennis has always been that way in a sense. When I was a kid it was Seles and Graf winning virtually everything.

I actually think now there is much more parity in women's tennis. Serena is a having a marquee run right now, though.

menju56
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
There was a time when I was bored of Serena winning everything, but lately I'm really pleased for her and I certainly wouldn't mind if she went on to win another title here. It used to be that late 20s was the sound of the death knell for a women's tennis player but here Serena is at 31 as the dominant force in the game and, with Venus at 32, still winning doubles majors as well. A Serena vs. Sharapova final would be my ideal here - Sharapova seems to be playing perhaps the best she ever has at a Grand Slam, losing a total of five games in four matches. Serena wiped the floor with her at the Olympics. I'm thinking things might be a bit different this time.

In the men's game, I'm looking forward to Nadal's return. I think his absence is really starting to be felt. I expect the winner to be one of the top three seeds, although I dislike Andy Murray and would probably rather it was Federer. I agree about Ferrer as well, I really like him.

fullofwish
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
I like Serena now too, and one of the commentators noted during her match the other day that when this tournament is over, she will be the oldest ever women's number one, at 31 (beating Chris Evert by a couple of months).

Volta
01-21-2013, 02:26 AM
I think the tennis elite have always had a problem with the Williams' Sisters. They've really decided to play the game on their own terms. I think of Mary Carillo who once said their off-court interests were too distracting for them. She also complained when they won too much and when they were winning too little.

Praise for Clijsters, Henin, Safina, Hingis was almost universal. But where are they now? Retired. Burned Out.
Venus and Serena are fresh and ready to win and you have to think it was because they never lost the competitive fire thanks to their off-court interests and a schedule that suits them.

Now, more than any other time, I think the tennis elite has accepted Venus and Serena completely. Because, yea, they don't play a full schedule week in and week out.. they have other interests and careers outside of tennis.. but they're here and better than ever. Yes, Venus lost early in Australia.. she'll probably barely contend in Paris.. but she's always struggled at these two majors even when she was at her peak. She will contend at Wimbledon and the US Open.. especially if her ranking gets back in the top 10.

By the tennis elite I am certainly talking about the Mary Carillos, Tracy Austins, Jon Wertheims of that world.
I really have to dig into Jon Wertheim and his "predictions" - like in 2004 when he said Anastasia Myskina would drop out of the top 20 and wouldn't contend for a major and then she became the first Russian to win a Grand Slam in the women's field.

seso
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
as for a Serena Sharapova match, I'm afraid it might end up being one sided again, despite the fact that Maria is playing good at this moment. Maybe Serena got into her mind ?

just saw that Kuznetsova has managed to beat Wozniacki

Volta
01-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Yes, It was so cool to see Sveta making a deep run at a major again.

iamstilljamiepoo
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
So, Fed loses to Murray and Serena bites it. Well, she was injured. Interesting tournament!

Volta
01-26-2013, 02:23 AM
I am happy for Li Na. I hope she wins the whole thing now. Likewise to Andy Murray.

Volta
01-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Azarenka defends her title :)
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/mEapeLmkb2KsM_yphDNSQg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNzU7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201301260909329845266-p2.jpeg

fullofwish
01-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Yeah, that was kinda disappointing. I really wanted Li Na to win but *shrugs*

My favourite part of the match was this tweet:

Azarenka dates Redfoo from LMFAO. We're just one drone strike away from ending the worst two sounds in the world. #AusOpen

;l

Volta
01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
^LMFAO - I really appreciate that joke. Can't stand her grunts/shrills/shrieks. And when she plays Sharapova. Mute Button!
Li Na hit her head on the court and still finished the match. I have so much love for her.

Djokovic defends as well. I am so burnt out on this event. I am glad it is done. None of the people I wanted to win did. Glad it's over.

seso
01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm a bit bored with the men's field right now. The only one I liked a bit looking at was Jeremy Chardy and I doubt he's gonna repeat his trick soon - fear him reaching the quarter finals of a Grand Slam was a one time thing

as for the ladies, Li Na got me interested again, but you never know it her. Part of me fears she'll do bad again the next few slams...let's hope for the better though

menju56
02-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Serena Williams returns to world No.1 after three-set win against Petra Kvitova in Doha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zh6w9zxOdFY

At 31 years, 4 months and 24 days, Williams will be the oldest woman to hold the World No.1 ranking since the introduction of computer rankings in 1975. The previous oldest was Chris Evert, who was 30 years, 11 months and 3 days when she last held No.1 the week ending Sunday, November 24, 1985.

Williams will begin her 124th non-consecutive week as the No.1 player in the world on Monday.

Volta
02-25-2013, 04:12 AM
Jelena Jankovic won her first title since 2010 in Bogota today!!!!!
So happy for my JJ.

Volta
03-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Tennis goes to the desert with the 2nd biggest tournament outside the grand slams the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.
Play started today!!!
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/

Volta
03-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Currently watching last match of the day from Indian Wells.
Petrova vs. Wozniacki.

Petrova just told her coach, "She's not doing anything. She (woz) has no power. She's just running every ball down til I make the error. I can't stand it!"

Petrova is having a meltdown. She served for it at 5/3 and lost the set in a tiebreak.
I hate when players go up against Wozniacki and get mad that she's causing the error. Step in the court. When she has to block back a deep shot run to the net full force and put it away. It's not that difficult. If Cibulkova can do it.. than so can Petrova.
This is precisely why Petrova makes me upset. She lets players get in her head. She has so much power.. just focus on your game.

seso
03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
it's a shame...I would love to see Petrova go further any day instead of Wozniacki - Caroline is cute doing silly stuff outside the court, but a bore to watch play tennis.

Volta
03-13-2013, 11:00 PM
If Fed and Rafa win their matches today they will play in the quarterfinals... like woa.

Volta
03-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Ernests Gulbis has the weirdest forehand I've ever seen in tennis.
He is a righty and on his take back instead of tucking the left arm close or putting it out forward -his hand kind of helping direct the shot, he extends the arm as if trying to get a taxi. I have no clue how he can control that shot with such a weird take back. But it works for him so far.

Volta
03-25-2013, 11:33 PM
You all keeping up with the Sony Open in Miami.. also referred to as "The Fifth Slam?"
No Roger or Rafa. Thought this would be a great chance for Del Potro but apparently he had to leave for personal reasons back at his home in Argentina.

As far as the women's draw, it was hard to watch Sloane Stephens self-destruct against Radwanska. It looked to me like she just gave up after 6/4 2/3. Like she literally said to herself.. oh well. I'm done.

The Italians Vinci and Errani keep marching deep into tournaments despite being number 1's in doubles, as well.
I still see this as Serena or Maria's tournament to lose.
C'mon Serena!

Volta
03-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes! My JJ is into the quarterfinals of The Sony Open. Her best result all year. Go Jelena Jankovic!!!
She beat Cirstea 6/0 6/4.

She has a tough opponent in Roberta Vinci but that is just how it is sometimes. She has a chance against Vinci so we will just have to see.

Volta
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
My JJ pulled off the win in the quarterfinal! I can't believe it. She's lost to Vinci the last two times. I am so excited for her.
Congrats to being back in the SF's of a huge tournament, Jelena Jankovic!!!!
IDEMO!

AzMoo
03-28-2013, 02:38 AM
I don't know anything about tennis but this reaction (http://i.minus.com/iNxbRFn1dGNc5.gif) was pretty funny.

Volta
03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
I know. I watched that live. Aggie Radwanska has the best hands and reflexes on tour. Tennis is a lovely sport. Anyone can play at any age.
Aggie is a very cerebral player. She uses strategy and placement to win her matches and doesn't really possess a big weapon yet she is 4 in the world.

seso
05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
just read about Del Petro being all excited about meeting the Pope... I was a bit sad to read that, since I quite like Del Petro, but I also have some major issues with the Pope. Hope I don't offend too many people here who look up to him, I needed to ventilate a bit

Volta
05-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Hey everyone!! Are you ready for the second Grand Slam event of the year?
The French Open (http://www.rolandgarros.com)
Order of Play for
Sun, May 26, 2013
Court Philippe Chatrier -11:00 AM [5am EST]
Petra Martic (CRO)vs.Ana Ivanovic (SRB) [14]
Serena Williams (USA) [1]vs.Anna Tatishvili (GEO) [~ 6:45am EST]
Pablo Carreno-Busta (ESP)vs.Roger Federer (SUI) [2]
Steve Darcis (BEL)vs.Michael Llodra (FRA)

Court Suzanne Lenglen - 11:00 AM
Arantxa Rus (NED)vs.Sara Errani (ITA) [5]
Gilles Simon (FRA) [15]vs.Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
Marinko Matosevic (AUS)vs.David Ferrer (ESP) [4]
Urszula Radwanska (POL)vs.Venus Williams (USA) [30] [Damn ~ end of the day?]

Court 1 - 11:00 AM
Milos Raonic (CAN) [14]vs.Xavier Malisse (BEL)
Yuliya Beygelzimer (UKR)vs.Caroline Garcia (FRA)
Benjamin Becker (GER)vs.Jeremy Chardy (FRA) [25]
Sabine Lisicki (GER) [32]vs.Sofia Arvidsson (SWE)

Court 2 - 11:00 AM
Illya Marchenko (UKR)vs.Kevin Anderson (RSA) [23]
Nadia Petrova (RUS) [11]vs.Monica Puig (PUR)
Virginie Razzano (FRA)vs.Claire Feuerstein (FRA)
Viktor Troicki (SRB)vs.James Blake (USA)

Court 3 - 11:00 AM
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) [19]vs.Andrea Hlavackova (CZE)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) [20]vs.Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
Kiki Bertens (NED)vs.Sorana Cirstea (ROU) [26]
Marcel Granollers (ESP) [31]vs.Feliciano Lopez (ESP)

Court 6 - 11:00 AM
Blaz Kavcic (SLO)vs.James Duckworth (AUS)
Mallory Burdette (USA)vs.Donna Vekic (CRO)
Somdev Devvarman (IND)vs.Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (ESP)
Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ)vs.Grace Min (USA)

Court 7 - 11:00 AM
Joao Sousa (POR)vs.Go Soeda (JPN)
Ayumi Morita (JPN)vs.Yulia Putintseva (KAZ)
Lukas Lacko (SVK)vs.Sam Querrey (USA) [18]
Irena Pavlovic (FRA)vs.Shelby Rogers (USA)

Court 17 - 11:00 AM
Petra Cetkovska (CZE)vs.Olga Puchkova (RUS)
Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP)vs.Gilles Muller (LUX)
Jan Hajek (CZE)vs.Denis Kudla (USA)
Dinah Pfizenmaier (GER)vs.Mandy Minella (LUX)

Volta
05-26-2013, 11:19 PM
No major upsets today besides Venus Williams going down to the younger Radwanska sister.. Urszula, whom I believe is just as talented as her older sister (she just doesn't know it yet).

I was extremely thrilled to watch some of these matches. I've been anticipating the French Open for quite some time now :)

Order of Play
for Monday, May 27, 2013

Court Philippe Chatrier -11:00 AM
Na Li (CHN) [6]vs.A. Medina Garrigues (ESP)
Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3]vs.Daniel Brands (GER)
Tomas Berdych (CZE) [5]vs.Gael Monfils (FRA)
Su-Wei Hsieh (TPE)vs.Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]

Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) [4]vs.Shahar Peer (ISR)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6]vs.Aljaz Bedene (SLO)
Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) [10]vs.Laura Robson (GBR)
Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)vs.Richard Gasquet (FRA) [7]

Stephanie Foretz Gacon (FRA)vs.Roberta Vinci (ITA) [15]
Julien Benneteau (FRA) [30]vs.Ricardas Berankis (LTU)
Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)vs.Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
Flavia Pennetta (ITA)vs.Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) [21]

Martin Alund (ARG)vs.Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA)
Chanelle Scheepers (RSA)vs.Mathilde Johansson (FRA)
Mona Barthel (GER)vs.Angelique Kerber (GER) [8]
Carlos Berlocq (ARG)vs.John Isner (USA) [19]

Julia Goerges (GER) [24]vs.Zuzana Kucova (SVK)
Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT)vs.Nicolas Almagro (ESP) [11]
Ernests Gulbis (LAT)vs.Rogerio Dutra Silva (BRA)
Melinda Czink (HUN)vs.Francesca Schiavone (ITA)

Court 4 - 11:00 AM
Simona Halep (ROU)vs.Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) [20]
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) [29]vs.Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)
Martin Klizan (SVK)vs.Michael Russell (USA)
Eugenie Bouchard (CAN)vs.Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL)

Court 5 - 11:00 AM
Jan-Lennard Struff (GER)vs.Evgeny Donskoy (RUS)
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE)vs.Bojana Jovanovski (SRB)
Jie Zheng (CHN)vs.Vesna Dolonc (SRB)
Tatjana Maria (GER)vs.Paula Ormaechea (ARG)

Adrian Mannarino (FRA)vs.Pablo Cuevas (URU)
Madison Keys (USA)vs.Misaki Doi (JPN)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)vs.Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) [22]
Albert Ramos (ESP)vs.Jerzy Janowicz (POL) [21]

Jesse Levine (CAN)vs.Kei Nishikori (JPN) [13]
Marcel Granollers (ESP) [31]vs.Feliciano Lopez (ESP) To Finish 57 62 46 64
Philipp Petzschner (GER)vs.Marin Cilic (CRO) [10]
Pauline Parmentier (FRA)vs.Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK)
Karin Knapp (ITA)vs.Sloane Stephens (USA) [17]

Court 8 - 11:00 AM
Tobias Kamke (GER)vs.Paolo Lorenzi (ITA)
Jana Cepelova (SVK)vs.Christina McHale (USA)
Steve Johnson (USA)vs.Albert Montanes (ESP)

Court 10 - 11:00 AM
Igor Sijsling (NED)vs.Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor (ESP)vs.Julia Glushko (ISR)
Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS)vs.Ryan Harrison (USA)
Karolina Pliskova (CZE)vs.Garbine Muguruza (ESP)

Court 11 - 11:00 AM
Monica Niculescu (ROU)vs.Johanna Larsson (SWE)
Grega Zemlja (SLO)vs.Santiago Giraldo (COL)
Pere Riba (ESP)vs.Lukas Rosol (CZE)

Court 14 - 11:00 AM
Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)vs.Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Vania King (USA)vs.Alexandra Cadantu (ROU)
Andreas Beck (GER)vs.Fabio Fognini (ITA) [27]
Michal Przysiezny (POL)vs.Rhyne Williams (USA)

Court 16 - 11:00 AM
Jurgen Zopp (EST)vs.Tommy Robredo (ESP) [32]
Romina Oprandi (SUI)vs.Elina Svitolina (UKR)
Juan Monaco (ARG) [17]vs.Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)

Radek Stepanek (CZE)vs.Nick Kyrgios (AUS)
Tamira Paszek (AUT) [28]vs.Melanie Oudin (USA)
Kenny De Schepper (FRA)vs.Robin Haase (NED)

iamstilljamiepoo
05-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm really starting to think Venus should Hang it up. Love her but maybe after the US Open she should go.

Volta
05-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Have you watched the documentary about the sisters that just came out?
I don't see Venus hanging up her singles career for a while. Her injuries and her continued battle to figure out how to deal with her auto-immune disease seems to be the excuse. I still think she believes she has more than one deep run in a major left.

BUT - I also think that Venus is going stick around until Rio 2016 no matter what she decides to do with her singles career. Again, from the documentary which just shows how important this game is to them.. something I had not ever really seen in such a well-detailed way.
Venus says in the documentary she still thinks her best tennis in doubles is ahead of her. And Venus has seen a lot of players continue successful careers in doubles all the way into their late 30's early 40's like Lisa Raymond, Renae Stubbs, Janette Husarova, Liezel Huber, and Navratilova who played doubles and mixed doubles on a high level almost to her 50's etc, etc.
There's still so much Venus wants to do... there is still so much prize money to be had.

Do I believe Venus can go deep in another major in singles? Yes. I do think she has one really good run to the second week of a slam.
But she shouldn't be playing with a back injury. How is she going to heal for Wimbledon if she stays in the doubles with Serena? She needs to do like Andy Murray and just pull out of Paris altogether. Rehab and try to make a deep run at her best major and her best surface.

Volta
05-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Order of Play
Tues, May 28, 2013

Court Philippe Chatrier - 11:00 AM
Marion Bartoli (FRA) [13]vs.Olga Govortsova (BLR)
Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1]vs.David Goffin (BEL)
Nicolas Mahut (FRA)vs.Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) [8]
Elena Vesnina (RUS)vs.Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [3]

Tommy Haas (GER) [12]vs.Guillaume Rufin (FRA)
Alize Cornet (FRA) [31]vs.Maria Joao Koehler (POR)
Benoit Paire (FRA) [24]vs.Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Petra Kvitova (CZE) [7]vs.Aravane Rezai (FRA)

Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN)vs.Samantha Stosur (AUS) [9]
Florent Serra (FRA)vs.Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) [9]vs.Thiemo De Bakker (NED)
Nina Bratchikova (POR)vs.Maria Kirilenko (RUS) [12]

Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [18]vs.Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)vs.Lauren Davis (USA)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP)vs.Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (SVK)vs.Yanina Wickmayer (BEL)

Jack Sock (USA)vs.Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
Jiri Vesely (CZE)vs.Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) [16]
Marina Erakovic (NZL)vs.Elena Baltacha (GBR)
Stefanie Voegele (SUI)vs.Heather Watson (GBR)

Federico Delbonis (ARG)vs.Julian Reister (GER)
Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU)vs.Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP)
Klara Zakopalova (CZE) [23]vs.Kaia Kanepi (EST)

Coco Vandeweghe (USA)vs.Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) [27]
Ivan Dodig (CRO)vs.Guido Pella (ARG)
Shuai Peng (CHN)vs.Camila Giorgi (ITA)

Bernard Tomic (AUS)vs.Victor Hanescu (ROU)
Florian Mayer (GER) [28]vs.Denis Istomin (UZB)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) [16]vs.Lesia Tsurenko (UKR)
Ashleigh Barty (AUS)vs.Lucie Hradecka (CZE)

Alex Kuznetsov (USA)vs.Lucas Pouille (FRA)
Philipp Marx / Florin Mergea vs.Gael Monfils/Josselin Ouanna (FRA)
Lukasz Kubot (POL)vs.Maxime Teixeira (FRA)
Jamie Hampton (USA)vs.Lucie Safarova (CZE) [25]

Kristyna Pliskova (CZE)vs.Mariana Duque-Marino (COL)
Jan Hajek/Radek Stepanek vs.Mariusz Fyrstenberg/Marcin Matkowski[16]
Vasek Pospisil (CAN)vs.Horacio Zeballos (ARG)

James Cerretani/Lukas Lacko vs.Alexander Peya/Bruno Soares [7]
Frantisek Cermak/ Michal Mertinak vs.Benjamin Becker/ Philipp Petzschner
Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah vs.Xavier Malisse/Ken Skupski
Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi/ Jean-Julien Rojer [6] vs.Evgeny Donskoy/Dmitry Tursunov

Court 11 - 11:00 AM
Aljaz Bedene/Grega Zemlja vs.Lukas Dlouhy/ Rajeev Ram
Robin Haase/Igor Sijsling vs.Christopher Kas/Oliver Marach
Tomasz Bednarek/Jerzy Janowicz vs.Mahesh Bhupathi/Rohan Bopanna[4]
Kevin Anderson/ Bernard Tomic vs.Paolo Lorenzi/ Potito Starace

Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) [29]vs.Pablo Andujar (ESP)
Daniele Bracciali/Fabio Fognini[14] vs.Jonathan Erlich/Andy Ram (ISR)
Pablo Anduja/Tommy Robredo vs.Julien Benneteau/ Nenad Zimonjic [13]

Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) [22]vs.Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)
Pierre-Hugues Herbert/ Nicolas Renavand vs.Jurgen Melzer/Leander Paes
Paul-Henri Mathieu/Lucas Pouille vs.Andreas Seppi/Viktor Troicki

Alejandro Falla (COL) vs.Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) [26]
Simone Bolelli (ITA)vs.Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)
Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan [1] vs.Jonathan Eysseric/Fabrice Martin
Sandra Zahlavova (CZE) vs.Annika Beck (GER)

Come on JJ, you can win this match! Focus! Be aggressive!

seso
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Hantuchova her outfit was hurting my eyes - too much yellow. And with a t shirt pressed so tightly her nipples were almost bursting out.

Jelena Jankovic looked a bit tired to me, but maybe it's just the weather conditions in Paris

Tommy Haas versus Guillaume Rufin was fun to watch

Volta
05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I can't believe Jankovic dropped her level after taking the first set.
But if Hantuchova's dress was too yellow... what did you think of Sloane Stephens outfit?
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sloane+Stephens+2013+French+Open+Day+2+tdOnQgtArDpl.jpg

Rain Delay right now. Rain Rain go away so we can have French Open Play!!!!

Volta
05-28-2013, 03:28 PM
My JJ did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Down 0-5 in the second set to Hantuchova and got it all the way to a tiebreak and took the match in straight sets!
The heart of a lioness...
Congrats Jelena Jankovic on your hard fought win over a quality opponent!! You gave me a grey hair or three but well done!!!

seso
05-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Novak Djokovic versus David Goffin was nice to watch too - too bad Goffin did not had the game to cause an upset

Volta
05-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Too bad Goffin made the round of 16 here last year and will lose all those ranking points :(

Here is the order of play on Court Chatrier
Elena Vesnina (RUS) vs Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [3]
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6] vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Gael Monfils (FRA) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs Caroline Garcia (FRA) [Probably around noon EST]

Here is the rest of the order of play: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/schedule9.html

Volta
05-29-2013, 05:23 AM
It sucks that a lot of players will have to play back to back days due to rain delay, but that is part of Grand Slam tennis. I don't understand why the Tennis Channel commentators made a big kerfunkle about it. The past few US Open's have had to finish play on the next Monday.. so.. why John Mcenroe and his side kick are so upset they sent the people fourth or fifth on home yesterday errrks me.

Ted whatever his name was like, "They should send all the doubles players home." I don't agree. Why should their tournament be interrupted. It wasn't like the show courts didn't have plenty of quality matches for people with tickets.

menju56
05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Have you watched the documentary about the sisters that just came out?
I don't see Venus hanging up her singles career for a while. Her injuries and her continued battle to figure out how to deal with her auto-immune disease seems to be the excuse. I still think she believes she has more than one deep run in a major left.

BUT - I also think that Venus is going stick around until Rio 2016 no matter what she decides to do with her singles career. Again, from the documentary which just shows how important this game is to them.. something I had not ever really seen in such a well-detailed way.
Venus says in the documentary she still thinks her best tennis in doubles is ahead of her. And Venus has seen a lot of players continue successful careers in doubles all the way into their late 30's early 40's like Lisa Raymond, Renae Stubbs, Janette Husarova, Liezel Huber, and Navratilova who played doubles and mixed doubles on a high level almost to her 50's etc, etc.
There's still so much Venus wants to do... there is still so much prize money to be had.

Do I believe Venus can go deep in another major in singles? Yes. I do think she has one really good run to the second week of a slam.
But she shouldn't be playing with a back injury. How is she going to heal for Wimbledon if she stays in the doubles with Serena? She needs to do like Andy Murray and just pull out of Paris altogether. Rehab and try to make a deep run at her best major and her best surface.

I agree. Even though she lost, the way Venus played and fought in the first round against Urszula Radwanska was very encouraging. Three hours of play, fighting back from deficits in the score, clearly the desire is completely there. On a grass court, I think she'd have done better. The only thing now is that because of the first round loss, she may fall out of the seedings bracket for Wimbledon unless a) the committee give her a seeding based on previous results or b) she plays a warm-up event. Even if she just plays a couple of matches at, say, Eastbourne, it could be enough to push her back into the Top 32. More than anything at the moment, I think she needs some singles wins - against who and where doesn't matter. Getting a seeding for Wimbledon is going to be key if she's to avoid top players in early rounds.

Watched Bartoli vs. Govortsova yesterday, that was an entertaining one.

seso
05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
I LOVED watching Monfils versus Gulbis - very entertaining, like both of them a lot

Volta
05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Menju, you are absolutely correct. Wimbledon is one of the few majors that actually does use its ITF-Given right to seed players how they want. If they choose not to seed Venus there will be a lot of people extremely upset. They'll definitely have people upset if they do seed her, too. I just can't see them not seeding her. She's a 5-time Champ, correct? Grass is by far her best surface.. if you don't seed her and she happens to get a first round with someone in the top 8... goodness there will be blood in some commentary booths. John Mcenroe might take center court and cuss everyone out like the good ole days.

Seso, I totally and completely forgot to dvr Monfils/Gulbis. I don't even know the scoreline sitting here at work. I surely hope Tennis Channel rebroadcasts that match. I say that knowing full well they didn't rebroadcast Venus/Urszula which ticked me off cuz I didn't dvr that one, either. Still waiting on Youtube to put the full match up and not just snippets.

Volta
05-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Order of Play
Thurs, May 30, 2013
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)vs.Samantha Stosur (AUS) [9]
Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1]vs.Guido Pella (ARG)
Eugenie Bouchard (CAN)vs.Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]
Michal Przysiezny (POL)vs.Richard Gasquet (FRA) [7]

Lucas Pouille (FRA)vs.Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) [26]
Annika Beck (GER)vs.Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [3]
Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3]vs.Martin Klizan (SVK)
Francesca Schiavone (ITA)vs.Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) [21]

Na Li (CHN) [6]vs.Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
Benoit Paire (FRA) [24]vs.Lukasz Kubot (POL)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP)vs.Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) [8]
Marion Bartoli (FRA) [13]vs.Mariana Duque-Marino (COL)

Grega Zemlja (SLO)vs.Kei Nishikori (JPN) [13]
Alize Cornet (FRA) [31]vs.Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP)
Ashleigh Barty (AUS)vs.Maria Kirilenko (RUS) [12]
Tommy Haas (GER) [12]vs.Jack Sock (USA)

Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [18]vs.Garbine Muguruza (ESP)
Lukas Rosol (CZE)vs.Fabio Fognini (ITA) [27]
Kaia Kanepi (EST)vs.Stefanie Voegele (SUI)
Ryan Harrison (USA)vs.John Isner (USA) [19]

Catalina Castano (COL) / Katalin Marosi (HUN)vs.Renata Voracova (CZE) /
Klara Zakopalova (CZE)
Alize Lim (FRA) / Aravane Rezai (FRA)vs.Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) [2] /
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) [2]
Cara Black (ZIM) / Marina Erakovic (NZL)vs.Angelique Kerber (GER) /
Andrea Petkovic (GER)
Caroline Garcia (FRA) / Mathilde Johansson (FRA)vs.Annika Beck (GER) /
Valeria Solovyeva (RUS)

Melanie Oudin (USA)vs.Jie Zheng (CHN)
Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) / Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK)vs.Raquel Kops-Jones (USA) [6] / Abigail Spears (USA) [6]
Simona Halep (ROU) / Arantxa Rus (NED)vs.Sorana Cirstea (ROU) /
Ayumi Morita (JPN)
Shuai Zhang (CHN) / Julian Knowle (AUT)vs.Raquel Kops-Jones (USA) /
Treat Huey (PHI)

Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)vs.Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) [16]
Vania King (USA)vs.Sloane Stephens (USA) [17]
Petra Kvitova (CZE) [7]vs.Shuai Peng (CHN)
Denis Istomin (UZB)vs.Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)

Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) [16]vs.Marina Erakovic (NZL)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) [9]vs.Horacio Zeballos (ARG)
Robin Haase (NED)vs.Jerzy Janowicz (POL) [21]

Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)vs.Victor Hanescu (ROU)
Not Before: 12:30 PM
Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) / Johanna Larsson (SWE)vs.Varvara Lepchenko (USA) /
Saisai Zheng (CHN)
Sara Errani (ITA) [1] / Roberta Vinci (ITA) [1]vs.Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP) /
Garbine Muguruza (ESP)
Kveta Peschke (CZE) / Marcin Matkowski (POL)vs.Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) /
Lukas Dlouhy (CZE)

Court 9 - 12:30 PM
Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) / Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)vs.Albano Olivetti (FRA) / Maxime Teixeira (FRA)
Madison Keys (USA) / Melanie Oudin (USA)vs.Lauren Davis (USA) /
Megan Moulton-Levy (USA)
Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) / Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)vs.Hao-Ching Chan (TPE) [15] / Darija Jurak (CRO) [15]

Colin Fleming (GBR) [10] / Jonathan Marray (GBR) [10]vs.Feliciano Lopez (ESP) /
Andre Sa (BRA)
Marc Gicquel (FRA) / Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA)vs.Daniel Brands (GER) /
Frank Moser (GER)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) / Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE)vs.Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) / Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
Stephanie Foretz Gacon (FRA) / Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA)vs.Lisa Raymond (USA) [4] / Bruno Soares (BRA) [4]
Carlos Berlocq (ARG)/Leonardo Mayer (ARG)vs.Pablo Cuevas (URU) /
Horacio Zeballos (ARG)

Court 11 - 12:30 PM
Nadia Petrova (RUS) / Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL)vs.Mandy Minella (LUX) /
Alexander Peya (AUT)
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) [11] / Lucie Safarova (CZE) [11]vs.Vera Dushevina (RUS) / Alexandra Panova (RUS)
Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi (PAK) [6] / Jean-Julien Rojer (NED) [6]vs.Evgeny Donskoy (RUS) / Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)
Alize Cornet (FRA) / Virginie Razzano (FRA)vs.Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) [7] /Sania Mirza (IND) [7]

Irina Buryachok (UKR) / Heather Watson (GBR)vs.Oksana Kalashnikova (GEO) /
Alicja Rosolska (POL)
Treat Huey (PHI) / Dominic Inglot (GBR)vs.Tobias Kamke (GER) /
Florian Mayer (GER)
Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor (ESP) / Lesia Tsurenko (UKR)vs.Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) [10] / Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) [10]
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) / Lukasz Kubot (POL)vs.Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) /
Frederik Nielsen (DEN)

Jana Cepelova (SVK) / Karolina Pliskova (CZE)vs.Nina Bratchikova (POR) /
Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)
Not Before: 12:30 PM
Eva Hrdinova (CZE) / Bojana Jovanovski (SRB)vs.Janette Husarova (SVK) /
Sabine Lisicki (GER)
Pablo Andujar (ESP) / Tommy Robredo (ESP)vs.Julien Benneteau (FRA) [13] /
Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) [13]
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA) / Lucas Pouille (FRA)vs.Andreas Seppi (ITA) /
Viktor Troicki (SRB)

Paula Ormaechea (ARG)vs.Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) [27]
Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (SVK)vs.Jamie Hampton (USA)
Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) [29]vs.Federico Delbonis (ARG)
Michael Llodra (FRA)/Nicolas Mahut (FRA)vs.Mateusz Kowalczyk (POL) /
Lukas Rosol (CZE)

Volta
06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
My JJ, Jelena Jankovic won her third round against Stosur 3/6 6/3 6/4
I thought Sam had her for several reasons. First, Sam was slapping that thigh and when she is slapping that right leg she is really, extremely confident. Lastly, the clay had dried up considerably.. so it was playing faster.. Sam loves the clay because she can set up her shots, but she also loves it when it's playing fast so her shots will penetrate.

Jankovic won on her fourth or fifth match point with an ace. Clutch. These two always have brutal matches with each other. Wow. Grey hairs galore after this match!

Volta
06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I can't believe it! Jelena Jankovic def. Jamie Hampton 6/0 6/2 in the round of 16 at the French Open. She is now into the quarterfinals of a major. I can't tell you how excited I am. I have no words.

seso
06-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Kuznetsova takes the second set from Williams - whoever wins this, great match !

Volta
06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Serena won the match!!!

seso
06-07-2013, 07:36 AM
any predictions for today's semi final between Nadal and Djokovic ? Somehow I fear that Djokovic will win, just a feeling I've got. I'm under the impression that Nadal is not back at his best yet and Djokovic is just too good...and he might just have gotten into Nadal his head...although I would rather want Nadal to win

seso
06-20-2013, 04:20 PM
where on earth is Vera Zvonareva now ? Did she retire ? Is she still recovering from injury ? I mean, wasn't she playing grand slam semi finals ?

Volta
06-23-2013, 12:09 AM
I think Vera is going to have shoulder surgery or already had shoulder surgery. Not sure.

Volta
06-23-2013, 12:12 AM
The Championships: Wimbledon

Ladies' Draw:
Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs Mandy Minella (LUX)
Caroline Garcia (FRA) vs Jie Zheng (CHN)
Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN) vs Carina Witthoeft (GER)
Alexandra Cadantu (ROU) vs Tamira Paszek (AUT) [28]

Sabine Lisicki (GER) [23] vs Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
Elena Vesnina (RUS) vs Andrea Hlavackova (CZE)
Olga Puchkova (RUS) vs Arantxa Rus (NED)
Anna Schmiedlova (SVK) vs Samantha Stosur (AUS) [14]

Maria Kirilenko (RUS) [10] vs Laura Robson (GBR)
Mariana Duque-Marino (COL) vs Julia Goerges (GER)
Ayumi Morita (JPN) vs Marina Erakovic (NZL)
A.Medina Garrigues (ESP) vs Shuai Peng (CHN) [24]

Romina Oprandi (SUI) [31] vs Alison Riske (USA)
Mallory Burdette (USA) vs Urszula Radwanska (POL)
Kaia Kanepi (EST) vs Tara Moore (GBR)
Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA) vs Angelique Kerber (GER) [7]

Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) [4] vs Yvonne Meusburger (AUT)
Timea Babos (HUN) vs Mathilde Johansson (FRA)
Heather Watson (GBR) vs Madison Keys (USA)
Monica Niculescu (ROU) vs Mona Barthel (GER) [30]

A.Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) [21] vs Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL)
B.Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) vs Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK)
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) vs Petra Martic (CRO)
Karolina Pliskova (CZE) vs Nadia Petrova (RUS) [13]

Roberta Vinci (ITA) [11] vs Chanelle Scheepers (RSA)
Kristyna Pliskova (CZE) vs Jana Cepelova (SVK)
M.Torro-Flor (ESP) vs Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU)
Maria Elena Camerin (ITA) vs Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) [18]

Klara Zakopalova (CZE) [32] vs Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Nina Bratchikova (RUS) vs Annika Beck (GER)
Olga Govortsova (BLR) vs Simona Halep (ROU)
Michaella Krajicek (NED) vs Na Li (CHN) [6]

Bottom Half:

Sara Errani (ITA) [5] vs Monica Puig (PUR)
Silvia Soler-Espinosa (ESP) vs Misaki Doi (JPN)
Lara Arruabarrena (ESP) vs Lesia Tsurenko (UKR)
Eva Birnerova (CZE) vs Varvara Lepchenko (USA) [26]

Sloane Stephens (USA) [17] vs Jamie Hampton (USA)
Pauline Parmentier (FRA) vs Andrea Petkovic (GER)
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) vs Donna Vekic (CRO)
E.Cabeza Candela (ESP) vs Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) [9]

Marion Bartoli (FRA) [15] vs Elina Svitolina (UKR)
Christina McHale (USA) vs Alexa Glatch (USA)
Camila Giorgi (ITA) vs Samantha Murray (GBR)
Stefanie Voegele (SUI) vs Sorana Cirstea (ROU) [22]

Lucie Safarova (CZE) [27] vs Lauren Davis (USA)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) vs Karin Knapp (ITA)
M.Larcher De Brito (POR) vs Melanie Oudin (USA)
Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) vs Maria Sharapova (RUS) [3]

Petra Kvitova (CZE) [8] vs Coco Vandeweghe (USA)
Kiki Bertens (NED) vs Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ)
Garbine Muguruza (ESP) vs Anne Keothavong (GBR)
Johanna Larsson (SWE) vs Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) [25]

Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) [19] vs Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) vs Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)
Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) vs Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ)
Virginie Razzano (FRA) vs Ana Ivanovic (SRB) [12]

Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [16] vs Johanna Konta (GBR)
Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) vs Vesna Dolonc (SRB)
Ajla Tomljanovic (CRO) vs Bojana Jovanovski (SRB)
Yulia Putintseva (KAZ) vs Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) [20]

Alize Cornet (FRA) [29] vs Vania King (USA)
Su-Wei Hsieh (TPE) vs Tatjana Maria (GER)
Elena Baltacha (GBR) vs Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
Maria Joao Koehler (POR) vs Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [2]

Gentlemen's Draw:
Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1] vs Florian Mayer (GER)
Bobby Reynolds (USA) vs Steve Johnson (USA)
Blaz Kavcic (SLO) vs Jan-Lennard Struff (GER)
Ryan Harrison (USA) vs Jeremy Chardy (FRA) [28]

Gilles Simon (FRA) [19] vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
Ricardas Berankis (LTU) vs Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)
Wayne Odesnik (USA) vs Jimmy Wang (TPE)
Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) vs Tommy Haas (GER) [13]

Richard Gasquet (FRA) [9] vs Marcel Granollers (ESP)
Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT) vs Go Soeda (JPN)
James Blake (USA) vs Thiemo De Bakker (NED)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs Sam Querrey (USA) [21]

Kevin Anderson (RSA) [27] vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Philipp Petzschner (GER) vs Michal Przysiezny (POL)
Daniel Brands (GER) vs Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)
Martin Klizan (SVK) vs Tomas Berdych (CZE) [7]

David Ferrer (ESP) [4] vs Martin Alund (ARG)
Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP) vs Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS)
Horacio Zeballos (ARG) vs Santiago Giraldo (COL)
Gastao Elias (POR) vs Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) [26]

Milos Raonic (CAN) [17] vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Alex Kuznetsov (USA) vs Igor Sijsling (NED)
James Duckworth (AUS) vs Denis Kudla (USA)
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) [16]

Kei Nishikori (JPN) [12] vs Matthew Ebden (AUS)
Leonardo Mayer (ARG) vs Aljaz Bedene (SLO)
Michael Llodra (FRA) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Denis Istomin (UZB) vs Andreas Seppi (ITA) [23]

Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) [29] vs Simone Bolelli (ITA)
Grega Zemlja (SLO) vs Michael Russell (USA)
Guido Pella (ARG) vs Jesse Levine (CAN)
Albert Ramos (ESP) vs Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) [8]

Bottom Half:

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [5] vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Igor Andreev (RUS)
Stephane Robert (FRA) vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
Adrian Ungur (ROU) vs Benoit Paire (FRA) [25]

John Isner (USA) [18] vs Evgeny Donskoy (RUS)
Pablo Andujar (ESP) vs Adrian Mannarino (FRA)
Dustin Brown (GER) vs Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP)
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) vs Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) [11]

Nicolas Almagro (ESP) [15] vs Jurgen Zopp (EST)
Marinko Matosevic (AUS) vs Guillaume Rufin (FRA)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Matt Reid (AUS)
Kyle Edmund (GBR) vs Jerzy Janowicz (POL) [24]

Fabio Fognini (ITA) [30] vs Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
Julian Reister (GER) vs Lukas Rosol (CZE)
Rogerio Dutra Silva (BRA) vs Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)
Victor Hanescu (ROU) vs Roger Federer (SUI) [3]

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6] vs David Goffin (BEL)
Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Xavier Malisse (BEL)
Tobias Kamke (GER) vs Julien Benneteau (FRA) [31]

Juan Monaco (ARG) [22] vs Bastian Knittel (GER)
Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs Rajeev Ram (USA)
Kenny De Schepper (FRA) vs Paolo Lorenzi (ITA)
Marcos Baghdatis (CYP) vs Marin Cilic (CRO) [10]

Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) [14] vs Viktor Troicki (SRB)
Andrey Kuznetsov (RUS) vs Albert Montanes (ESP)
Marc Gicquel (FRA) vs Vasek Pospisil (CAN)
Robin Haase (NED) vs Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) [20]

Tommy Robredo (ESP) [32] vs Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS)
Nicolas Mahut (FRA) vs Jan Hajek (CZE)
James Ward (GBR) vs Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)
Benjamin Becker (GER) vs Andy Murray (GBR) [2]

Volta
06-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Uhhhhhhhh
Lots of upsets today. I won't list the main one because Tennis Channel is doing the first re-broadcast...
But two on the men's side that are very significant:
Hewitt def. Wawrinka. WOW! Stan has been the man on grass this season. Goodness, Leyton, you go Dingo Boy!
Troicki def. Tipsarevic. WOW! Janko loses a lot of points losing to his countrymen.. his ranking is slip sliping away. I love Tipsy/ :(

Volta
06-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Most shocking day of tennis I've ever seen. Or most shocking second round play I've ever seen. All the big seeds fail (literally fell to the ground).. apparently seed killer was poured on the grass of Wimbledon.
Women:
#2 Azarenka retired.
#3 Sharapova defeated by Larcher De Britto
#9 Wozniacki defeated
#12 Ivanovic defeated
#16 Jankovic defeated

Men:
#3 ROGER FEDERER Defeated in the 2nd round.. ending his 36 consecutive quarterfinal (at least showing) at majors.
#6 Tsonga retired.
#10 Cilic retired
Isner retired.
Darcis (who took out Rafa) retired.

Goodness.
Dustin Brown upsets Hewitt

seso
07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Agnieska Radwanska looked a bit tired to me...a shame, cuz I recently started to like her more.

And how scary are Petra Kvitova her screams ? She could be in a horror movie

I hope someone knocks out Djokovic tomorrow

Volta
07-03-2013, 03:46 AM
^I don't like her screams, either. I don't think anyone's told her that they're scary. BUT--> at least she doesn't do it during the point like Sharapova/Azarenka, etc.

I don't think Aggie makes it to the final. Sabine loves this court/surface. BUT.. if anyone is going to take out Aggie it will be Sabine.. but if anyone is going to take out Sabine it will be Aggie. They play two different styles. Sabine being super powerful and Aggie being super crafty/strategic. Sabine could power her way right through Aggie and Aggie could get the ball back every point and wait for Sabine to make errors.

The second semifinal is so much more the wildcard for me. Bartoli has been here before. She has an amazing grass court game: low, flat shots and she takes the ball super early. Flipkens on the other hand is so hit or miss. She has everything she needs to take Bartoli out.. but can she do it on such a big stage?

I predict Sabine vs. Flipkens. Don't know why. Sabine Lisicki will win Wimbledon.

Tomorrow's match between Ferrer/Del Potro. Can't wait to see how that goes down!!!!

Volta
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Brave Andy Murray!!!!!!!!!!!

seso
07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
must've been hard for Verdasco, he was playing so well

Volta
07-05-2013, 01:41 AM
I'm so excited that on the 'Middle Sunday' the WTA was celebrated for turning 40.
Look at what Billie Jean King started.. look at the success it has become. Tennis is the highest paying sport for women, now ;)

The ceremony was fabulous. Serena's speech was pretty magical.

Volta
07-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Sabine vs. Maid Marion for the title!!!
Can't wait! Talk about two powerful girls. This is going to be a great match. Big hitting all the way!

Volta
07-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Andy and Novak will play for the Championships !!!!!