PDA

View Full Version : Now what's with the rush?

arjan
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I have been listening/watching to some of the tapings of the first two shows of Night of Hunters but what's with the hurry?

She has speeded up songs like Fearlessness, Suede and Star Whisperer

At the Beekeeper shows she stretched songs to 8 minutes Winters and 10 minutes Crucify's, but the speed of the new songs is just simply awful...

anyone agrees?

samko
10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Disagree totally!

arjan
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Have you heard Fearlessness from Saint Petersburg? Did she need to catch a train or something?

samko
10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I really like the faster / shorter versions instead of the dragging the shit out of the songs, honestly. It always reminds me piss-breaks during the TBK-tour

other pete
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Oh, I've been hoping she'd rediscover her up tempo for years. I absolutely love hearing the songs played with such energy and vitality. Since Scarlet it's seemed that 90% of Tori's music has been mid tempo or slow ballad. Now even slow songs like Cloud on My Tongue have an urgency to them. Crack on, girl!

stillorbiting
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm honestly surprised that anyone prefers the 8-10 minute versions! Different strokes.

menju56
10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Hearing Cloud On My Tongue from Helsinki at that tempo was a shock, and a delightful one. Usually her slowed-to-a-crawl tempos are also accompanied by embarrassing hand gestures and head tilts, which I can do without. If she's spending the four minutes actually singing and playing rather than making faces, I'm thrilled. And the song itself took on an energy and vitality I haven't heard from it since... the '90s, maybe?

And even the solo ones! The Helsinki Tear In Your Hand is absolutely excellent and the first time I've been able to watch/listen through to a live TIYH since the Boston Official Bootleg scarred me.

I've not heard some of the others though so can't comment on Fearlessness or Star Whisperer.

Scottish Mike
10-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to hearing her play songs at decent tempos too, rather than having 8 minute long dragged out versions of Crucify!

silver
10-03-2011, 06:01 PM
You want another 10 minute version of Crucify? O.o I think the tempo has been much more enjoyable (and allows her to add more songs). ;)

.chris
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I am thrilled that she is playing at or faster than normal tempo. Her tendency to slow the songs live to a crawl was driving me mad.

Kala
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Keeping songs at tempo >>>> DRAGGING OUT OF NOTES

I do not go to Tori Amos concerts to catch up on my much needed sleep.

Cunter Fartlett
10-03-2011, 06:22 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how different people's taste/ear's are. Give me this urgent, uptempo turn-around any day. Slow and plodding has it's place, don't get me wrong, but I'm so happy that I got tickets to two shows this tour. She sounds so revitalized and energetic.

StarStealer
10-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm relieved! I was terrified that this would become the Night of Dirges tour, with Tori extending songs like The Beekeeper and Crucify to the background of a meandering string quartet.

That said, I love the 02/03 version of Crucify.

MrQuin
10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm more than delighted she doesn't drag out the songs this time. I find a great deal of the Original Bootlegs unlistenable. I noticed some of the songs actually benefited from slightly faster tempo at the Helsinki concert.

Hannah.
10-03-2011, 06:43 PM
The tempo change is pretty slight, and I think it adds more energy, which is a much needed change. I actually get excited listening to these boots.

tully
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I love the way she's approaching these songs. It's exciting to listen to.

Fun fact: I once tabulated all the appearances of Crucify in all the shows I'd gone to and realized that I had listened to nearly two hours of live performance of just that one song.

uskidsknow
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
They're only short compared with the suuuuuuuuuuuuper dragging versions from past tour. She's playing them on tempo and with passion. I'm surprised ANYone dislikes it, to be honest. It sounds immediate and with passion. Sign me up.

Jessy
10-03-2011, 07:30 PM
the faster she plays the songs, the more songs she can play during a night! i'm all about hearing more songs than a 10 minute version of a song.

obsceno pajaro
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by the faster Cloud on my Tongue. It is now my favorite moment from the Helsinki show.

Yuki
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
In fairness to the OP, she does sound pretty out of breath when she sings Fearlessness. And she hasn't done very well with SCFF (does anybody call Snow Cherries this? ;l) either.

But everything else has been fabulous. COMT! Northern Lad! Shattering Sea!

sumi
10-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm pretty sure the tight arrangements are keeping her on tempo. It's hard to get a quartet to keep up with you if you keep switching tempos.

The jam-band vibe she had with the trio & the over-indulgent dragged out solo's are constrained because she knows they're tuning to come back out or whatnot.
I really think the constraints touring with classical performers has been wonderful for her.

That being said I think I am the one person who totally loved the 10+ minute crucify from lotta pianos ~I have crawled my way back~~

Carey
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I loved 2003 crucify, just like I loved a lot of slowed-down renditions of her songs, but... ONE, maybe two songs per show, not a whole concert made of 10 minutes long versions. That's what was wrong with lottapianos and the tours after. I like the fact that she's speeding up tempos this time around and I think star whisperer is actually much better live than on the album (beautiful song, but there was no reason for it to be so long). Still, I have to agree that fearlessness may be the only one that suffers from this new mood, it actually sounds a bit rushed.

stillorbiting
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
That being said I think I am the one person who totally loved the 10+ minute crucify from lotta pianos ~I have crawled my way back~~

No, I love it too. I usually can't deal with the super long versions (aside from Plugged Waitress, of course), but I adore the long Crucify! It really works for me. Great percussion, very atmospheric, and fantastic payoff at the end.

StarStealer
10-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Crucify 2003 was something of a slow burner for me. I remember going to the Radio City shows in NYC in 2003, attending all three of them, three nights in a row, and just feeling tortured by Crucify each night. But around the time of the Welcome to Sunny Florida DVD, I realized just how awesome it was. The carefully crafted atmosphere, the beautiful vocals, and like the last poster said, the fantastic payoff at the end. Now I wish that I had taken the time to soak it all in more during the actual tour. Then again, that was nigh on nine years ago, now. I can barely remember anything about those shows. Time is so cruel. :-(

sumi
10-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Yes. :) I am also one who normally doesn't like the super-super long versions, but I just remember loving Crucify during the 2003 tours.

I had to go back and relisten after posting in this thread about it today. The payoff is cathartic and awesome. It always reminded me of the jam band-ized blood roses from the '99 tour with the whole "never back again" theme. It had that slow atmospheric burn with the great payoff too.

Veronica7883
10-11-2011, 03:53 AM
I do think the tempo of Fearlessness live is a bit rushed, but I'd prefer a rushed tempo to dragging any day. I like that its keeping her energy up, and I also like that she may not have to make song cuts due to time constraints when she's forced to keep tempo with the quartet on most of the set.

NightHunter
12-05-2011, 04:04 AM
I definitely like the faster tempo on this tour. I would say, however I loved the longer Crucify, and LOVED the super long Beekeeper in 05. I may be the only one....