PDA

View Full Version : "Gay men don't get fat"

other pete
01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
"The Gay Diet (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jan/10/the-gay-diet)"

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/1/10/1326197041526/A-man-eating-meat-and-a-w-007.jpg
"A man eating meat and a woman eating salad. "

"Straight foods are basic and uncontrived," he writes. "Gay foods are fiddly and foofy"

http://dietsinreview.s3.amazonaws.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/gay-men-dont-get-fat.jpg

Simon Doonan knows that when it comes to style, the gays are the chosen people. A second anthropological truth comes to him midway through a turkey burger with no bun, at an otherwise hetero barbecue: Do the straight people have any idea how many calories are in the guacamole? In this hilarious discourse...

Oh fuck off.

he does hilariously chronicle his realization that gay men and French women are basically the same species: they love fashion, home decor, and limiting their calories

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Yale University's David Katz told Salon (http://www.salon.com/2010/07/02/food_gendering/) that "Men and women have differences in physiology which might have to do with access to different kinds of food." That is, cavemen once ate the meat from the hunt while the cavewomen made do with plants and berries.

BRB failing to comply.

ebby
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't understand this "fat" word you keep writing. Is that some straight thing? I don't understand those strange creatures - I'm far too busy with home decor, fashion and not-eating.

Banjee
01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
If gay men don't get fat, then someone needs to tell Bears and all their ilk that they are doing sex wrong.

Morrison
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Simon Doonan,eat a fat ****,so You'd Keep Your Foofy Mouth Shut.

Banjee
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
As my girl Peaches says: "Eat a cookie and a big dick every day"

Whappo
01-10-2012, 08:34 PM
I really love how neuroses are repackaged as funny and sassy instead of sad and limiting. I was going to say this was sexist rubbish that once again encourages gay men to move towards disordered eating to maintain a stereotype, but hey!

"Gay foods are fiddly and foofy ... Sushi may well be the gayest food on earth. The design of the average ikura gunkan maki or hirame nigiri is, if you look at it objectively, really quite extraordinary. Sushi chefs are basically taking sloppy bits of fish and magically reworking them into exquisite bonbons. How gay, right? ... While sushi is swishy, Mexican food is unbelievably macho. As delicious as a burrito is, it is basically just a cross between a turd and a penis."
It's also sort of racist. Or just really dumb. I can't tell.

Michael Michael
01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow. I feel like I'm hemorrhaging IQ points just reading these little synopses and snippits. GAY MEN ARE LIKE WOMEN, IF YOU HAVE A TERRIBLE STEREOTYPICAL IDEA OF WHAT WOMEN ARE LIKE.

Homogenik
01-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Simon Doonan makes me wanna be a little bit homophobic.

stillorbiting
01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Wait. "Girl food" is salad? I don't eat meat? The meat in my stomach right now is very confused.

It is such a stupid stereotype, but a lot of people buy into it. My boyfriend used to be a vegetarian, and when we'd go out and I'd get a burger or something and he'd get a salad, they'd try to put the salad in front of me EVERY TIME.

But yeah, my best friend has definitely never struggled with losing weight, because he's never needed to! Because he's a gay man! Which means he's just like me, a salad-eating, calorie-counting woman! Which means... wait, what?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ryan
01-12-2012, 07:16 AM
I feel like someone needs to beat all those people in their faces with a hatchet. A burrito is a cross between a turd and a penis? WHAT???

I don't find this shit cute or funny at all.

Faust
01-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Suddenly the fact I've gained 20-30 pounds in the past year doesn't bother me. Fuck people like that.

(This is a better reaction than when I first got linked to Gay Men Don't Get Fat a couple of months ago - ugh)

Ryan
01-12-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1QgJOhFOI

Ouija
01-12-2012, 08:54 AM
at 16 stone...does that mean I'm straight?

It's quite upsetting because I actually enjoyed the series "Beautiful people" but after reading some of the quotes from this book it is obvious it is geared towards screaming selfish queens, who - in my opinion - are responsible for at least 80% of homophobia in this country and only represent about 10% of homosexuals.

Grr... Angry face...

Tellurium
01-15-2012, 01:40 AM
but after reading some of the quotes from this book it is obvious it is geared towards screaming selfish queens, who - in my opinion - are responsible for at least 80% of homophobia in this country and only represent about 10% of homosexuals..

Ugh, sorry Ouija. I'm sure you didn't mean to but you hit a bone with me. I don't like screaming, selfish people of any sexual orientation any more than the next guy but I have to say that your opinion is a touch offensive. Blaming people of a minority for their own persecution because they have a personality you don't like is just plain wrong. Homophobes are responsible for 100% of homophobia in all countries. Nobody else. Also, I don't think I've ever heard a homophobe justify themselves by saying that gay men are selfish and care too much about being thin. That's just not what it's about for them.

Anyway, this book certainly doesn't resonate with me either. I like fried chicken way too much to be gay, I guess.

Pupate
01-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Ugh, sorry Ouija. I'm sure you didn't mean to but you hit a bone with me. I don't like screaming, selfish people of any sexual orientation any more than the next guy but I have to say that your opinion is a touch offensive. Blaming people of a minority for their own persecution because they have a personality you don't like is just plain wrong. Homophobes are responsible for 100% of homophobia in all countries. Nobody else. Also, I don't think I've ever heard a homophobe justify themselves by saying that gay men are selfish and care too much about being thin. That's just not what it's about for them.

I completely agree with you. Intentional or not, when I read Ouija's post, it reeked of the sort of internal homophobia you often hear from other gay men, usually along the lines of, "They make us look bad," or "They're the reason that everyone hates gay people!" It's fine to dislike people who are flamboyant if you just don't like flamboyant people - Hell, I know I do, but it extends to people of all sexual orientations - but to suggest that effeminate men are the reason for homophobia and anti-gay discrimination is offensive and misguided. You cannot consider homophobia a problem and then simultaneously criticize gay men who unafraid to express their flamboyancy.

Yuki
01-15-2012, 02:05 AM
I agree. Victim blaming is just wrong, no matter how unsavory or "deserving" of their abuse victims may seem to you. "Screaming selfish queens", which is by the way, sort of a confusing category- most people are pretty selfish, and I think we've all screamed at some point or other; you might want to qualify or clarify your description- can hardly be held responsible for the centuries' worth of systemic oppression and violence that queers have been subjected to. That's a pretty tone-deaf thing to say. I'm sure Matthew Shepard was killed because, you know, selfish screaming queens! Does not compute.

Homophobia isn't about disliking certain subsets of the queer community. It's about the ideologically (not personally) determined need to control other people's sex lives and sexual expression based on a specific standard of sexual morality, usually religious but not always. It has little to do with individual "gay" mannerisms or qualities- the demonization and derision to which these characteristics are subjected are a result of, not the cause of, homophobia. If there were no femme gay men, homophobes would find some other supposedly essential characteristic to deride.

Also, in case you haven't noticed yet, Ouija, this is how stereotypes about minorities really operate. Sure, they paint a negative image of minorities to mainstream culture. But, more insidiously, they subtly segregate minorities into two subgroups: those who fit the stereotype (and are therefore considered less valuable, and, as we have seen, even get blamed for the oppression of the entire minority by members of that selfsame community, for "making them look bad") and those who don't fit the stereotype, and are therefore "acceptable" and eligible to assimilate into mainstream society. Whatever potential there is for political action and radical change is stripped by infighting and division. Which isn't to say we shouldn't be cognizant of our differences from others. But, I mean. Blaming gay people for homophobia is a pretty homophobic thing to do.

Ouija
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
You guys are completely right. I apologise. After reading the post thats exactly how it comes across. I actually have no clue as to the point I was trying to make, But blaming homosexuals for homophobia wasn't what I set out to do.

Thats the problem when I come on and have a little rant, I somtimes don't take the time to actually read what I have written and skip on my merry way.

I think I was trying to explain that the book itself is feeding into the stereotypical flamboyant perception of homosexuality with no 'actually not all homosesuals are the same' subtext.

I wasn't blaming any group of people in general, a more acurate representation would indeed be, "the media's representation of selfish screaming queens feeds into the homophobes representation of all homosexuals, where as "selfish screaming queens" only make up for a small percentage of Gay men."

But that isn't what I wrote...

Perhaps I am indeed a little bit homophobic when it comes to media representation, but in all honesty I refer to a lot of my friends as selfish screaming queens, to their faces, terms of endeerment and all that...

Anyone got a ladder for this big hole I seem to be digging...?

Lágnætti
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I think I see what Ouija's getting at. The media portrayal of gay men right now seems to be stuck in stereotype of 'good at fashion, drama, bitchery and expensive lifestyle crap, including body-consciousness to the point of eating disorders' and it must be tiresome to see it played into again and again like this. It's as if gay men aren't just men who have but one thing in common - that they happen to fancy other men - but exotic creatures seperate from the rest of the human race by dint of their sexuality which automatically confers other virtues. All of which is why we now have the spectre of silly girls shrieking how they want a GBF to make them over and so on. Great, now you're a lifestyle accessory for the straights. Progress much?

uncanny hats
01-15-2012, 06:53 PM
stereotype of 'good at fashion, drama, bitchery and expensive lifestyle crap, including body-consciousness to the point of eating disorders'
I feel this is an intersection of oppression. That stereotype is also one of women or "appropriate" women or whatever. I dunno. I think, I agree that most of the problems you address have more to do with cultural rank, but also capital.

All of which is why we now have the spectre of silly girls shrieking how they want a GBF to make them over and so on. Great, now you're a lifestyle accessory for the straights. Progress much?

So, I guess, where is the appropriate line for where straight and queer persons are allowed to overlap and not be accessories for each other? If a room was divided between queers and straights and the room was 25 percent "negative" queers and 25 percent "friendly" queers, and the same dynamic existed for straights, what do we suppose would happen? Eventually people would be categorized as "useful" and "useless" to civility. What's being "useful," but being an accessory? What's civility but playing into the dominant culture? I suppose the middle 50 percent would get to make the rules. That's stupid, but it's normal.

*runs away*

edit: I guess what I am trying is that "being useful" is necessary so that people like you. In a strange way, it's why there's an urge to show gay men are just as masculine as the average straight man, whatever that means. The whole thing's bullshit and arbitrary and only serves those who trying to sell people something, whether ideas or products.

Bastien
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
It certainly is frustrating that the media seems to stick with that "type" of gay man, but regardless of how flamboyant someone is, there's never an excuse for being homophobic. There are gay men who act that way, so what? The only reason a lot of people have hatred for that type of personality is because they believe only women should act that way. A man should be masculine and a female should be feminine. It's no ones fault they're seen as an "accessory", though. The blame should be for the people who treat them like one. I really enjoy flamboyant gay men, they're the life of the party generally. But it's who they are, so I don't see how anyone would have an issue with it. That type of personality seems to be more "accepted" in the media nowadays, which really confuses me. It's as if masculine gay men are too boring.

The only thing that really does infuriate me is that people have such a narrowminded view of the gay community. I've been questioned many times about my sexuality simply because someone didn't think I acted "gay" enough. What does that even mean?

Ryan
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I get that a lot. Oh, you're not gay gay. Really? Last time I checked, I was pretty fucking gay. I may not know how to dress fashionably, do hair and makeup, or decorate a house, but my vagina-plundering days are nonexistent.

other pete
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Is there a 'Shit guys who think their definition of gay is THE definition of gay, and that human personality is a subset of narrow inflexible sexuality, rather than the exact opposite, say to everyone' video? They could probably just read out this book.

uncanny hats
01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I get that a lot. Oh, you're not gay gay. Really? Last time I checked, I was pretty fucking gay. I may not know how to dress fashionably, do hair and makeup, or decorate a house, but...
Right. That's where I got useless from, from personal experience. "Are you one of the useless ones that doesn't know how to shop?" It's very cruel thing to answer, without saying fuck you. I wish there was a subscription service that my brain could download an app for, and then I would enjoy shopping.

Wikipedia has an interesting article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effeminacy). Some of the citations are out of date, but does show how effeminate vs. masculine fluctuates in mainstream culture and moreso in gay culture.

EnjoyJoy
01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Well, uhm, awkward book makes me awkward. (?) I love my burgers and my pizza, (I do love sushi though) but well, I'm never allowed to comment on such things cause I was blessed with an amazing metabolism (turns out, it's just that I'm gay right?) so I've never had to burden myself with diets and stuff like that, which is why I always fail to comfort my friends who are unhappy with their weight, I just get the "SHUT UP you can eat whatever you want and won't get fat, you'll NEVER understand how I feel" but ANYWAY, that's not the point I'm trying to make and I'm getting derailed.

I think this book is wrong on so many levels, because hell, psychologically speaking, gay men are more prone to developing anorexia. This is not the sort of thing that, if I had a gay son, I would like him to see in bookshelves. Alas, I would never, ever ban a book, no matter how deranged or homophobic it is, so I don't see myself petitioning or actively campaigning against this book. I'll just quietly ignore it.

And I do know some gay Mexicans who would be way too pissed off to hear about their beloved burritos compared to turds.

Cunter Fartlett
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
I get that a lot. Oh, you're not gay gay. Really? Last time I checked, I was pretty fucking gay. I may not know how to dress fashionably, do hair and makeup, or decorate a house, but my vagina-plundering days are nonexistent.

I hate it when people say that to me, like it's a compliment. "Oh, but you don't act gay! I never would have known!" It's so patronizing and demeaning. And they honestly think it's a nice thing to say!

And I don't know where the author of this book is living. I know plenty of gay men who are not skinny, lean gym rats. But from my experience, for every straight person who says something stereotypical and uninformed, there's a gay person who will give them a run for their money. Ignorance is not exclusive.

DavidIX
01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
As for different types or levels of 'gayness'? Fuck that...you're either gay enough to have sex with other men or not, seems pretty cut and dry to me :P

waitressboy
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Oh crap, I just read "Gay men don't get fat" and for a second I thought they had discovered some weird relation between anal sex and being thin.
Ok, so I'll just stay fat, I don't care.

Adam
02-02-2012, 05:47 AM
I should've just punched Simon in the face the time I was at Barney's and he was snickering at me. For what? Who knows. But I've not been able to stand him since, and now this book. Ugh X infinity. Who even publishes shit like this? Your sexuality determines the foods you have access to and the foods you choose to eat? For fuck's sake, someone needs to explain to him that it's 2012 and that Queer Eye For The Straight Guy hasn't been on tv for quite some time. Hopefully, there is a reason for that.