PDA

View Full Version : Uganda and Texas: Together 4ever!

insanitykun
06-18-2010, 11:51 PM
http://wakingupnow.com/blog/texas-gop-proudly-following-uganda

The Texas GOP updated their platform for 2010, and it's terrifyingly similar to the Ugandan anti-gay laws from earlier this year, including imprisoning anyone who is assists with a gay marriage! Delicious.

The Texas GOP doesn’t just want to convict the gay couple. They want to throw in the person who issued the marriage license and the official who performed the ceremony (Uganda’s law would do the same thing, but in other provisions I’ve haven’t excerpted). Now “felony” generally means mandatory jail time. Or worse. Of course, one key difference is that Uganda mandates life imprisonment, while Texas doesn’t. Texas doesn’t say how severe they want the penalty to be. In some ways, that’s even scarier: at least one Texas prosecutor has argued (in a different context) that life imprisonment wouldn’t be that big a deal to gays:

In arguing for the death penalty, prosecutor Morris said, “Sending a homosexual to the penitentiary certainly isn’t a very bad punishment for a homosexual” because of sexual interactions between male inmates, so a life sentence would be inadequate.

The Seaward
06-19-2010, 12:25 AM
i live in a state run by morons. :( oh well. could be utah: a state run by MORMONS.

Faust
06-19-2010, 12:53 AM
....What the flying fuck.

The Seaward
06-19-2010, 12:57 AM
“Sending a homosexual to the penitentiary certainly isn’t a very bad punishment for a homosexual” because of sexual interactions between male inmates, so a life sentence would be inadequate

THAT made me lol.

MotherLucifer
06-19-2010, 03:16 AM
:( :( :( :( :( I am so grateful that I live in Massachsuetts, thousands of miles away from those barbarians.

Adam
06-19-2010, 05:27 AM
This really still happens in America? Did we somehow get rid of George Bush and then get sucked into a time machine simultaneously? What the fuck is going on in this country? Is there just so much stupidity that people are throwing their hands up?

Octopussy
06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0621/tx-gop-platform-jail-mexicans-criminalize-sodomy-gay-marriage-felony/

"We oppose the legalization of sodomy," the platform states. "We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy."

secretsekertary
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
But if you outlaw sodomy, how will all those good Baptist daughters remain virgins until their wedding day?

MotherLucifer
06-23-2010, 12:23 AM
But if you outlaw sodomy, how will all those good Baptist daughters remain virgins until their wedding day?

;l

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I just don't get it. I've never had to live in a place as conservative as Texas, so I don't understand how and why what other people do in their bedrooms is such an issue, especially in politics. What's really sad and pathetic about this platform the Republican party in Texas is taking, though, is this:

We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

When they use the faith argument, at least they can use their faith to fall back on when defending their ridiculous views, but by stating that they want homosexuality outlawed out of conviction or traditional values, they are basically stating that they are holding onto their prejudices, and even if it is unconstitutional, they are going to discriminate against people based on ignorant, outdated and bigoted prejudices anyways. It is unbelievable.