PDA

View Full Version : What's the most wasted opportunity?

waitressboy
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
(pleeease, correct the grammar mistakes :D)

So Tori has done three compilations so far: TOAL, A Piano and GD.
I don't know if you feel the same way, but I always think that they could've been better. They always lack of something: TOAL in completely incoherent (Way Down-Widow remix-Mr. Zebra doesn't make any sense in any universe), A Piano doesn't have all the b-sides (and it includes AGAIN the remix of Professional Widow), GD is 90% of songs that already had orchestral arrangements.

So, what's the one you think it's the most wasted opportunity in all her compilations, but only considering the songs included? (coz if we talk about the quality, we know that GD is and always will be the worst. ever.)

inexcelsis17
05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
There are disappointments in all of them, but I went for Tales because for me, the first disappointment hits the hardest. Tales was the beginning of the end, and the birth of Fori.

After selling cds for six years, I knew how much sense it made to have a "Greatest Hits" album. She could have pleased the fans, or she could have made a sound financial decision by compiling the singles, and did neither. What a wasted opportunity to showcase the Atlantic years.

Why CALS, HJ and Concertina are missing, but PW's StarFunky Trunk or whatever the hell it is made it on, is something I'll never understand. Why on earth she chose her two weakest B-Sides when she had so many wonderful ones that could have seen the light of day, I'll never understand, either. Most of the remixes suck (although I do like to hear the BGV more clearly). The concept is interesting, but the artwork sucks. The material on the DVD seems odd and out of place to me. The two new songs were pretty "meh" at the time.

It never gets played, I don't even know where my copy is, and I don't miss it.

Andrew
05-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Gold Dust. Absolutely. She had the opportunity to reinvent sooo many different songs in her catalog and make them truly unique. Instead, she gave us mostly inferior remakes of her old stuff.

Wasn't it a spur of the moment thing? Like, she only had a few days of actual rehearsal with the orchestra? To actually release something so rushed and half-baked and present it as part of your canon shows a complete lack of artistic integrity, really. It's stopgap money-grubbing at its finest.

Regina Phalange
05-09-2013, 04:41 AM
I loved TOAL when it came out. A Piano made me furious with all its flaws (why not put 88 fucking songs on it? Why is Prof Widow remix on it? Where is Mountain?), but it did include Take Me With You, which almost makes up for it all. I like how the songs were done and I like most of the stuff we hadn't heard before.

Gold Dust was just disappointing all around, so that to me is the biggest waste. No surprises, nothing new, not done particularly well.

another light
05-10-2013, 10:23 AM
It's difficult to know which is the biggest waste, they all have such major flaws. Her continuing inability to put together a collection that showcases her best work properly is baffling.

I guess I will go for Gold Dust as well. I loved the Flavor arrangement and was so looking forward to hearing the rest, even with the predictable track choices. It was a great opportunity to really rework the songs in interesting ways, but Fori's vanilla tendencies won out yet again. So frustrating!

MrQuin
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Gold Dust was definitely a rushed affair. Songs like CALS, Garlands, Cruel could have been epic with the orchestra. The album isn't bad but honestly quite pointless.

Alpha Neutral
05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
I went with TOAL, simply because it came out at a time when Tori was still more or less on top of her game. The concept was great, she touted the project as this really avant-garde chronicle or whatever and then she went and put those horrible "reconditioned" versions on the album, that just sucked the life out of every single song. By the time Gold Dust was released, not many fans expected it to be better than it turned out to be.

HumptyDumpty
12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a real soft spot for TOAL. Other than the professional widow remix, I think it's a pretty nice collection.

So I'm going with Gold Dust. It is painfully uninspired. The only tracks worth getting excited about were flavor and precious things because they're the only two tracks that I didn't expect. She really played it too safe with this one.

spyk_
12-06-2013, 04:09 PM
'Gold Dust', definitely. It really is completely pointless. I think 'Marianne' is the only song I listen to regularly, and only because her voice is the best it's been on any song in years. She sounds more relaxed and she has lovely tone in places. It actually carries some emotion. The rest are just rushed versions of songs that had strings on them anyway, for the most part. They sound like demos. Recently several artists have brought out similar projects (Kate Bush's 'Director's Cut' and Peter Gabriel's 'New Blood') and Tori's was the weakest by a long shot. There was no reason for that to be the case, as we know that she's great at re-interpretation, as evidenced by 'Strange Little Girls'.

jimthecello2
01-04-2014, 12:13 AM
It's hard to pick one. TOAL loses points for how she sonically castrated some of her catalogue. I don't think I can physically listen to that version of Spark again. A Piano loses points because disc A should have been the 20th anniversary release of LE...NOT Gold Dust. A grand rerelease of LE would have probably brought back fans that had left. Gold Dust loses points because she did not included some wonderful arrangements from the NOH. There should have been a bonus cd of her and the quartet playing studio versions of Cruel, Suede, etc.

OrenLovesTori
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM
TOAL is pointless, and I detest Mary. Angels is meh. But at least she invested some thought in it.
A Piano I do love, it has many great songs, it could have been way better but is not pointless. I personally love the cleaner remix of iieee, I know some don't. And I love Zero Point, Walk To Dublin, Peeping Tommi, Take Me With You.
GD is pointless, how this celebrates LE 20th anniversary I honestly can't figure out. As Jim mentioned above, she could have taken A Piano - Disc A and made it her 20th annivesary release.
And after that fantastic NoH tour with the quartet, why go back to the inferior performances with the Metropole?
Bottom line GD wins, as the most halfbaked and wasted.

Note: maybe the most wasted opportunity is not releasing any live material from her top period (except TVAB), instead waiting for her fanbase to slowly fade away.

Octopussy
01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
I thought A Piano was really good, keeping in mind that Rhino probably wouldn't let her do any more than 5 discs and she had to try and please everyone with the songs she picked. My biggest gripe is the TOAL-ized Zero Point and some weird choices of b-sides (no Graveyard, but This Old Man? The soundcheck Purple People?)

It would have been a perfectly good teaser to a complete remastered series: and Omnibus-like edition of Little Earthquakes (would 3 discs be too much to ask? album + b-sides + DEMOS!) a 2-disc Pink, 2-disc Pele, etc.

jimthecello2
01-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Note: maybe the most wasted opportunity is not releasing any live material from her top period (except TVAB), instead waiting for her fanbase to slowly fade away.

I TOTALLY agree- especially for someone that has performed 1000 + concerts. We have three compilations of studio stuff. A live compilation combining songs from different eras would be awesome. If and when she does this, I'd like to see her take a song and show how it was performed in each era. Imagine all the live incarnations of Father Lucifer, Crucify, etc in one compilation. What other artist/ band can do this?

I also like Jim's idea of the Ominbus editions too.

Andyland
01-05-2014, 06:25 PM
I thought A Piano was really good, keeping in mind that Rhino probably wouldn't let her do any more than 5 discs and she had to try and please everyone with the songs she picked. My biggest gripe is the TOAL-ized Zero Point and some weird choices of b-sides (no Graveyard, but This Old Man? The soundcheck Purple People?)

It would have been a perfectly good teaser to a complete remastered series: and Omnibus-like edition of Little Earthquakes (would 3 discs be too much to ask? album + b-sides + DEMOS!) a 2-disc Pink, 2-disc Pele, etc.

I think we will eventually get expanded editions of a few of the albums. It seems to be an almost inevitable part of a "legacy" artist's career these days.

eresos
01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Voted GD but now after reading agree TOAL was a bigger missed opportunity bc GD Was last minute & TOAL was not; she had plenty of time to put that together right

She was more at the top of her game & now is more in the twilight of her career

Poor choice of songs to showcase

Plus the songs she re-recorded awful

Clunky weird execution of Dewey Decimal shtick

Chosen
01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Tori was preparing ToaL at the end of an almost 10-months-long world tour, though, and released it barely three months later. And, as we know from Piece by Piece, she made it in order to get out of her contract with Atlantic (which was also why TVAB had two discs, and SLG only contained covers). Yet she still tried to make it an interesting product for her fans, adding new songs, remasters and re-recordings, and a concept. Yeah, the end result is not great, because her sound at the time was not that great, but she did give us something different on that disc.

And on the other hand, Gold Dust was recorded in 2010, and released in 2012, so Tori actually had more time to think about it. It has an extremely generic tracklist of songs that mostly already had orchestral/ string arrangements in the first place. Between 2010 and 2012 she went on a tour with the string quartet, and with them, she re-imagined many songs in more exciting ways than those we can hear on Gold Dust. But instead of trying to capture these new versions, she went back and released the (boring, lifeless) tracks recorded two years prior. Yes, one may argue she already paid the Metropole Orchestra for the recording time and whatnot, but this still comes from a woman who scraped or left in the vaults many other expensive projects (ADP tour dvd, FTCH tour dvd, apparently some orchestral arrangments for UTP back in the day).

AshaBlack
01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I voted for A Piano. Not because I don't like it. I love it but I just think there could have been so much more added to it. I think all her b-sides could have been added
and some of the "remixed" versions really didn't need to be there. I would have loved more live tracks, more rare stuff, etc.

I agree Gold Dust is a wasted opportunity but it's not a significant release like A Piano is to me. A Piano is a special product for a big fan to own and it would have been nice if it had less general stuff and more rare stuff and better artwork in the book.

berke
01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
A Piano should have had a live disc added, then it would be complete. I still love it though. I don't have an issue with Gold Dust however instead of a studio album it should have been a live album. She should have made an orchestral tour and consider one of the shows for a double live album release, not like the Original Bootlegs but as part of her discography. If she was to make a studio album, I think going into the studio with the quartet and recording songs liek Cruel, Suede, Father Lucifer, Spring Haze, Fearlessness, Hey Jupiter in one take would give much better results than Gold Dust. Not just because of the song choices but I think she sounded more confident, better with them and the arrangements were better. Or again a live CD, her vocals on Milan 2011 are as good as ever.

Octopussy
01-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I just looked at my A Piano box and noticed that there is enough space for a 6th disc. What the hell, Rhino!!

I should've been like:

Disc 1: Little Earthquakes ext. (same as it is)
Disc 2: Under the Pink (plus any b-sides that fit)
Disc 3: Boys for Pele!!
Disc 4: Choirgirl & Venus
Disc 5: Scarlet, Beekeeper, Tales or whatever
Disc 6: Bonus Bee Sides

Edit: for Pele I would use the Talula, Hey Jupiter, and PTDO remixes, that way they could reissue the album later in its original form and still have exclusive remastered material on the box set.

waitressboy
01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
There was a 6th cd... That was actually a DVD with an interview about the box and that was sold only in Barnes & Noble, I guess.
I want to believe that there was no plan of a 6th cd that was cancelled because of the a rrangement with B&N.