PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Tori Amos songs?

Andrew
05-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Obviously this topic has been approached obliquely in numerous other threads, but I guess it's a bit strange that there hasn't been a thread that asks the question directly (without qualifying it in some way). Anyway, this subforum seems more active than usual, and I've been listening to Tori recently, so it seemed apt to post a thread like this. Feel free to geek out and include live covers, specific performances you liked, etc.

15. Riot Poof
14. Putting the Damage On (Contains one of the most mesmerising, sublime arrangements of any pop song.)
13. Raining Blood (In which Tori transforms a thrash metal classic into aching piano doom. Heavier than the original in some respects.)
12. Caught a Lite Sneeze
11. Icicle
10. Alamo
9. Twinkle
8. Suede (It's all about the pusing, on-beat delivery of the first half.)
7. New Age (Best cover ever. So far superior to the original it's ridiculous. Lou is a great songwriter and everything but seriously TORI.)
6. Mother
5. Winter (Is it possible for something so iconic and over-performed to be underrated? I genuinely feel that people forget just how good it actually is. THAT ORCHESTRAL BRIDGE.)
4. Yes, Anastasia
3. The Wrong Band
2. Professional Widow (The way the piece moves with contrast between two sections and then consolidates elements of both for the ending is just peak, masterful songwriting.)
1. In the Springtime of His Voodoo

~

HMs: Frog on My Toe, Pandora's Aquarium, Raspberry Swirl, Taxi Ride, Programmable Soda, THE. REST. OF. PELE., Bells for Her!

toriMODE
05-19-2013, 02:58 AM
Per album:

YKTR: Fayth, On the Boundary (loved the live performance on the past tour), Fire on the Side
LE: Girl, Precious Things, Little Earthquakes, Upside Down, Flying Dutchman
UTP: Space Dog, Past the Mission, Cornflake Girl (classic Tori with great piano), Pretty Good Year, Honey
BFP: Hey Jupiter (Dakota), Marianne, Doughnut Song (the best break up song), Not the Red Baron, Walk to Dublin
FTCH: Cruel, Spark, Hotel, Playboy Mommy, Liquid Diamonds, iieee, Purple People, Do It Again, Bachelorette
TVAB: Lust, Suede, Riot Poof ('99 performances are the best), Juarez (London solo '99), Sugar Plugged, Bells for Her
SLG: Raining Blood, Heart of Gold, New Age, Real Men, Happiness is a Warm Gun, After All
SW: A sorta fairytale, Pancake, Scarlet's Walk, Virginia, Seaside, Tombigbee, Another Girl's Paradise, Carbon, Bug a Martini
TBK: Garlands, The Beekeeper, General Joy, Mother Revolution, Marys of the Sea
ADP: Dragon, Code Red, Bouncing off Clouds, Smokey Joe
AATS: Give, Flavor, Abnormally Attracted to Sin, Fast Horse, Lady in Blue (the SXSW solo performance)
NOH: Star Whisperer, Shattering Sea, Cactus Practice, Fearlessness
GD: Flavor, Marianne, Snow Cherries From France

If I had to make a list of 15:

01. Cruel
02. Sugar Plugged '99
03. Hotel
04. Doughnut Song
05. Space Dog
06. Suede
07. Precious Things
08. Purple People
09. Raining Blood
10. Flavor
11. Virginia
12. Riot Poof Plugged '99
13. Horses Plugged '98
14. Garlands
15. Seaside Portland, Maine '03

Cunter Fartlett
05-19-2013, 03:33 AM
This is hard, y'all! I can do top five easily, that really never changes. There's so much good stuff, it's hard to pick the other 10.

1. Pretty Good Year
2. Frog On my Toe
3. Winter
4. Mother
5. Cooling
6. Horses
7. Beulah Land
8. Sugar (Plugged)
9. Tear In Your Hand
10. Cool On Your Island (SLT version)
11. Putting The Damage On
12. Star Whisperer
13. Space Dog
14. Bells For Her
15. Seven Sisters

That would be quite a depressing set list. I didn't put on any covers but some of my favorite songs of her are covers. A Case of You, Operator, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Running To Stand Still, Thank You, New Age, Rattlesnakes, Do it Again.

ETA: I totally spaced "Black Dove". It should be near the top, but I'm not going to re do it :P

Waylon
05-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Doughnut Song
Mother
Yes Anastasia
Carbon
Siren

(those top five have been pretty much set in stone for quite some time and I don't expect them to change anytime soon. as for the rest...in no particular order...)
Northern Lad
Cooling
Riot Poof
Honey
Upside Down
Liquid Diamonds
Strange Little Girl
Datura
Spring Haze
Little Earthquakes

fullofwish
05-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Mother has always been unequivocally my favourite. Then:

Bells For Her
Not The Red Baron
(These two are always in second and third, though they alternate in those spots)

Crazy
In The Springtime of His Voodoo
Spring Haze
Little Earthquakes
Space Dog
New Age
(These are always up the top, but could be in any order pretty much)

Take Me With You (Far and away my favourite 'recent' song)
A Sorta Fairytale (This is new! The past year or so has really, really drawn me to ASF)
Hey Jupiter (with strings) (I have loved HJ in all its incarnations but the strings version from her last tour just look it to a whole other stratosphere. I could put it up there with BFH and NTRB, honestly)

Faust
05-19-2013, 08:13 AM
1. Father Lucifer
2. Pretty Good Year
3. Little Earthquakes
4. Tear in Your Hand
5. Twinkle
6. Professional Widow
7. Hey Jupiter
8. Gold Dust
9. Putting the Damage On
10. Parasol
11. Playboy Mommy
12. Space Dog
13. Winter
14. Garlands
15. Jackie's Strength

Love a lot of covers too. "Lovesong," "New Age" and "Strange Little Girl" would have made that list had I included them.

Whappo
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM
A Sorta Fairytale
Expertly crafted MOR with a more interesting structure than you might give it credit for at first - it will always keep me coming back. Beautiful, evocative lyrics, too. This is quintessential Scarlet for me.

Cornflake Girl
Barring Armand Van Helden's Professional Widow, this was her biggest chart hit in the UK. FOR A REASON.

Crucify
Mime this at your local drag karaoke.

Cruel
If Tori Amos was a Disney villain, this would be her musical number, complete with ribcage xylophone breakdown.

Doughnut Song
Hangin' onto yr shed.

Josephine
Well gorge.

Lust
UGH GUYS TVAB IS WELL SEXY AND DARK AND ELECTRONIC, FAVE.

Marianne
Like Kari, this is my favourite and has been for a very long time. Leaves me gasping every time. Those strings are beautiful. Did she remake this for Gold Dust? Gross.

Pretty Good Year
Well, HAY EE AY EE AY EE AY EE YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Like Kari, this is also in my top two.

Raspberry Swirl
Horrified this hasn't featured on anyone's list. The kind of thumping, breathless, distorted, sexy, defiant pop I want in my ear.

Space Dog
Soaring piano loveliness meets sinister sci-fi wackiness. Great stuff.

Suede
Ticktockticktockticktockticktockticktockticktock.

Sugar
B-side par excellence.

The Waitress
It is the '90s. You are angry. You are kooky. Go!

Police Me
Fori farts profoundly into a microphone while a one man band falls down the stairs and into a vat of Kool Aid spiked with LSD.

Kala
05-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Doughnut Song
Yes, Anastasia
Spark
Sugar (TvAB)
Purple People (TvAB)
Past the Mission
Real Men
Marys of the Sea
Pancake
Bliss
Winter
Bachelorette
Horses (Plugged)
Take to the Sky
Gold Dust

Honorable Mentions: Girl, Crucify, God, Here. In My Head, Mountain, Space Dog, Cornflake Girl, Carbon, I Can't See New York, A Sorta Fairytale Tale, Wednesday, Scarlet's Walk, Another Girl's Paradise, Virginia, Smells Like Team Spirit, Sister Janet, Flying Dutchman, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Spring Haze, Concertina, Playboy Mommy, Pandora's Aquarium, Upside Down, Butterfly, Siren, Seaside, Ruby Through the Looking Glass, Bells for Her, Honey, Mr. Zebra, The Wrong Band and more.

Andrew
05-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Marianne
Like Kari, this is my favourite and has been for a very long time. Leaves me gasping every time. Those strings are beautiful. Did she remake this for Gold Dust? Gross.

ikr? THAT IS SACROSANCT.

Raspberry Swirl is like the apex of Choirgirl imo.

Waylon
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Honorable Mentions: Girl, Crucify, God, Here. In My Head, Mountain, Space Dog, Cornflake Girl, Carbon, I Can't See New York, A Sorta Fairytale Tale, Wednesday, Scarlet's Walk, Another Girl's Paradise, Virginia, Smells Like Team Spirit, Sister Janet, Flying Dutchman, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Spring Haze, Concertina, Playboy Mommy, Pandora's Aquarium, Upside Town, Butterfly, Siren and many more.

Let's go to Upside Town together!

;)

Kala
05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Let's go to Upside Town together!

;)

: p

But seriously, as much as I am disappointed with the lion's share of her output over the last decade, she still has written a lot of really good songs. No amount of subsequent musical shittiness will take that away from her.

Simon
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Girl
Precious Things
Winter
Pretty Good Year
Space Dog
Horses
Not The Red Baron
Hotel
Spark
Spring Haze
Gold Dust
A Sorta Fairytale
Garlands
Pancake
Iieee

I'm sure I forget a lot of my favorite songs but those are the ones that come to my mind now

Jessy
05-19-2013, 10:50 PM
1. hey jupiter (any form of this song)
2. spark
3. jackie's strength
4. Little earthquakes
5. playboy mommy
6. winter
7.marianne
8.putting the damage on
9. blood roses
10. beulah land
11. honey
12.twinkle
13. liquid diamonds
14. cooling
15. baker baker

honorable mention:tear in your hand

emanate
05-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Putting these in order is just... no. ;l This is the order they came to mind.

Talula
Siren
Black-Dove (January)
Mother
Spring Haze
Upside Down
Beulah Land
Sister Janet
Another Girl's Paradise
Rattlesnakes
Blood Roses
Bells for Her
Little Amsterdam
Twinkle
iieee

bkork
05-20-2013, 01:31 AM
01. Professional Widow
02. Graveyard
03. Pandora's Aquarium
04. Gold Dust
05. Smokey Joe
06. Caught a Lite Sneeze
07. Little Earthquakes
08. Cornflake Girl
09. Garlands
10. Winter
11. i i e e e
12. Putting the Damage On
13. Dragon
14. Another Girl's Paradise
15. Spring Haze

Honorable mentions: Crucify, Girl, Silent All These Years, Precious Things, Flying Dutchman, Take to the Sky, Pretty Good Year, The Wrong Band, Icicle, Space Dog, Yes, Anastasia, Sister Janet, Honey, Black Swan, Butterfly, Beauty Queen / Horses, Blood Roses, Father Lucifer, Mr. Zebra, Muhammad My Friend, Hey Jupiter, Little Amsterdam, In the Springtime of His Voodoo, Cooling, Alamo, Walk to Dublin, Spark, Hotel, Playboy Mommy, Purple People, Bachelorette, Siren, Lust, Riot Poof, New Age, Enjoy the Silence, I'm Not In Love, Rattlesnakes, Real Men, Amber Waves, Carbon, Pancake, I Can't See New York, Virginia, Tombigbee, Parasol, Barons of Suburbia, Witness, The Beekeeper, Not David Bowie, Code Red, Beauty of Speed, Abnormally Attracted to Sin, Starling, Lady In Blue, Shattering Sea, Battle of Trees, Fearlessness, Edge of the Moon and Carry.

Mori
05-20-2013, 02:26 AM
not in order:

1.Crucify
2.Black Dove
3.Blood Roses
4.Cruel
5.Past The Mission
6.Caught A Lite Sneeze
7.riot poof
8.Virginia
9.Martha's Foolish Ginger
10.Take To The Sky
11.Playboy Mommy
12.Starling
13.Smokey Joe
14.Shattering Sea
15.Star of Wonder

Kala
05-20-2013, 02:45 AM
I LOVE RASPBERRY SWIRL! I do! Argh I need more songs to pick.

Kari, you listed Silent All These Years twice so you have one more song to add. ;l

Octopussy
05-20-2013, 04:54 AM
This list changes every year I think. These have really "been there" for me over the past couple years or so.

The order? I guess the top 10 is sort of accurate:

1. Siren
2. Caught a Lite Sneeze
3. Beauty of Speed
4. i i e e e
5. Pandora's Aquarium
6. Lust
7. Cloud on My Tongue
8. Bouncing Off Clouds
9. Girl
10. Miracle
11. Liquid Diamonds
12. Your Cloud
13. Hotel
14. Code Red
15. Walk to Dublin

runners up: Honey, Beauty Queen/Horses, Spark, Talula, Dragon, Martha's Foolish Ginger, Secret Spell, Cruel, Sugar, Take Me With You, Goodbye Pisces, Fearlessness

aaaaand

The Pool.

toriMODE
05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Kari, you listed Silent All These Years twice so you have one more song to add. ;l

Hey, maybe she's feeling very silent. :)

MikeEP
05-20-2013, 07:30 PM
first 15 off the top of my head, no particular order:

Spark
iieee
Beulah Land
Cooling
Riot Poof
Tear In Your Hand
Mother
Marianne
Caught a Lite Sneeze
Siren
Upside Down
Baker Baker
Space Dog
Pretty Good Year
Carbon

Bloody Grace
05-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Tough indeed, I tried not to slap in the entire Choirgirl, b-sides included.

1. Spark
Sonic bliss, honey in music, whatever you want, but that's perfection.

2. Purple People
It's fucking sad but that's what I love about it. Also, the refrain's lyrics are just wonderful

3. Liquid Diamonds
just beautiful.

4. Yes, Anastasia
Epicness

5. Pancake
Especially that 2002 austrian radio solo performance

6. Precious Things
Epic/2

7. Cruel
Sounds so right sometimes. I hated it when I first heard it, now I simply feel the lyrics

8. Black Dove
This song really gets me because of its dreamy nature. Dreams are a very important thing to me, and this song has the right mood

9. Zero Point
I'm feeling a strong connection to this song, lately. Also, I love trippy industrial stuff.

10. Suede
Love its mood, love its colour.

11. Winter
That riff! Such a sweet song

12. Honey
I dedicated this song to a friend of mine, who was really too used to my honey and who didn't really bother coming down.

13. Parasol
This is such a SPRING song, even though it isn't that joyful

14. Blood Roses
That harpsi!

15. Doughnut Song
Sweet, so sweet

I still have to grow real love for the last decade's songs, it's a process that needs time and something needs to click. I can say I already love Carry, Edge of the Moon, Fearlessness, Shattering Sea, Comfort&Joy, Welcome to England, Dragon, Smokey Joe, Starling, Winter's Carol and The Beekeeper, but I need a deeper connection to include them in the list.

NUHN
05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Little Earthquakes (in either original studio or instrumental form)
here. in my head (live version from the LE video only)
Father Lucifer
Indian Summer
Spark
Cloud on my Tounge
Space Dog
Not the Red Baron
Philadelphia (SLT 2001 cover)
Toodles Mr. Jim (maybe an odd choice, but a nostalgic/sentimental fave)
Datura
Amber Waves
Precious Things
Cornflake Girl
Past the Mission/The Wrong Band (fantastic, lurking organ means they can share a spot)

waitressboy
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
fixing this coz i totally forgot that i had to narrow it to 15 songs...
The order is totally random

1- Leather
2- The waitress
3- '97 Bonnie & Clyde
4- Goodbye Pisces
5- Bliss
6- Wednesday
7- Sleeps with butterflies
8- Taxi ride
9- Flying Dutchman
10- Purple people (TVAB)
11- Raspberry swirl
12- Professional widow
13- A case of you
14- Mr. Zebra
15- My posse can do

HM: i i e e e, Suede, Riot poof, Strange little girl, I don't like Mondays, Teenage hustling, Cactus practice, Upside down, Strange fruit, Bachelorette.

And her cover of Operator, the one she made for Yahoo. I can't even watch it anymore.

talkingtadpole
05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
In no order. Also, note that these could very possibly change tomorrow:

1. In the Springtime of His Voodoo
2. Yes, Anastasia
3. Cruel (in all of its incarnations)
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Here. In My Head
6. Talula
7. Sugar (Plugged)
8. Bachelorette
9. Pretty Good Year