PDA

View Full Version : You as Tori's Editor/Producer/Head of Creative Team

neptunerune
03-20-2014, 01:27 AM
I don't know if this has been done in the past. Sorry if it has been.

Folks on this forum are very open and vocal towards Tori's output and I think this'd be a good outlet to slug it out with your most hated stuff.

Q: If you had power over Tori's entire discography, what will you change?

Will you change most of her albums' tracklist? Which songs will be singles/b-sides? How would "A Piano" be like if you could change it? Will it retain its title and number of discs? Artwork? :)

NUHN
03-20-2014, 01:34 AM
There's so many directions to take this in. I'll just focus on a salvaged tracklist for AATS:

this is where the tracks would go if there were salvageable tracks on AATS

The Seaward
03-20-2014, 01:48 AM
There's so many directions to take this in. I'll just focus on a salvaged tracklist for AATS:

this is where the tracks would go if there were salvageable tracks on AATS

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/oprah-sad-yes.gif

other pete
03-20-2014, 12:14 PM
"Tori, the 12 year break you took after Scarlet's Walk was a masterstroke. Now, I've got some wine, let's hear what you've been keeping under wraps all this time!"

"SHA NA NA NA!"

TASpark658
03-20-2014, 01:00 PM
That is what we call in the biz "pulling a Kate Bush" and it would be devastating to me. :p

eresos
03-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Forget the wine!
time for Tori to have New sensory experiences & have new inspirations To put into her songs.
Have a good beer or burbon.
Get Diety!!!
Take off the designer shoes & hike up a mountain top.
Play with New Musicians!!!
Live in a new place!!
Record in a different place!!!

inexcelsis17
03-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Yes, get her out of Cornwall! I'd love to see her take a trip to India and be inspired by non-western instruments and form. It might even cure her of her materialism, too.

waitressboy
03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Forget the wine!
time for Tori to have New sensory experiences & have new inspirations To put into her songs.
Have a good beer or burbon.
Get Diety!!!
Play with New Musicians!!!
Live in a new place!!
Record in a different place!!!

Get divorced!!!
(or at least GET YOUR HUSBAND VERY VERY VERY SEPARATE FROM YOUR MUSIC)

Waylon
03-20-2014, 10:00 PM

THIS. Thisthisthisthisthis. I loved it when she was all outdoorsy during the LE-UTP eras.

other pete
03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
To be serious, I would've encouraged her to follow Scarlet with something less mellow. Something punchier. Really a shorter, dirtier ADP.

And she would've fired me.

.chris
03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
^
Very true. We all know she is a shrewd business woman. This is very much a job for her and she has set the expectation for herself to regularly release new music on a schedule. She has quite the work ethic! But you do lose something if you start doing things just for the sake of meeting a deadline.

NeverHer
03-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Can anyone think of any other artists who produce ALL THEIR OWN STUFF for 10+ years? Pele was a feat of wonder, that is true...as were some of the other self-produced ventures. But I think that has been the biggest mistake of all. I keep coming back because I hear the goodness that is buried under horrible production. I CAN HEAR IT, I SWEAR! But how does one know when they have become too myopic? I don't think it is a Tori problem, or even a diva problem. It's just isolation. And I really think she needs to listen to more modern music. My hubby played some 13th Floor Elevators in the car for me a few weeks ago and I was like, "Mark listens to this. I'm sure of it." Hubby just laughed (he isn't a Tori fan, but he knows my Mac Alladin issues). Anyway, they are a really old band. And for Tori to be putting out SBV with that glaring, pukey Zeppelin sound at this point in her career was just---well, it was a lot of things. Good wasn't one of them.
I am still waving my Hauschka Flag of Hope*. And a chicken or the egg thing I have been wondering about is in my own passion and creativity waning as I get older. Is it because of Tori, or because of age? Is that too weird? Does anyone else think about that? I LIKE being less passionate, it gives me time to be normal and productive, but sometimes I wish I had more spunk and moxie. Like I used to think I had, ha!

*capitalized for significance.

berke
03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Beekeeper would be about 12 songs and songs would be arranged differently. Afro-cuban drums, choir, organ would step forward. I just think that if Beekeeper was actually good, she wouldn't feel the need to go to the other extreme and try to prove something ( Fat Slut...).

American Doll Posse has a great concept on paper and some great songs too. Different sounds for different characters, 70's rock sound referencing David Bowie etc. Just make it really loyal to the concept and make it sound good. Santa songs should be as good as She's your cocaine and Raspberry Swirl, they should not be at the level of You Can Bring Your Dog.

Abnormally Attracted to Sin should totally be shelved as an album. Instead release an ADP Tour DVD, and much like Welcome to Sunny Florida include a bonus EP of Abnormally Attracted to Sin's best songs.

Shelve Midwinter Graces. Release it as a 7'' vinyl: Winter's Carol on one side, Our New Year on the other.

Night of Hunters is amazing, nothing I would change about that.

Gold Dust: This shouldn't be a studio album, it should be a live album like Venus Still Orbiting. Tour it, without recording it and release the actual album as Gold Dust- Live with the Metropole Orchestra in Berlin. The cover should be a live picture ,with the beautiful yellow Deutsche Gramophone logo.

Lágnætti
03-21-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd tell her to do one thing at a time and do it properly instead of spreading her energy over multiple projects (books, musicals, albums, tours) at one go and coming up with the likes of the Beekeeper and AATS. It's obvious in hindsight why some of her recent albums have been so lacklustre - the energy has gone into different projects.

I'd tell her it's actually acceptable, indeed, encouraged to tour without having a (shitty) album to push. Live work is where she shines and it's not like anyone went to the AATS tour simply to hear the new album, is it?

Sack Mark as producer (which is what he effectively is at this point), maybe keep him as a husband (maybe).

Learn to edit. More is not better. Ten brilliant songs on a CD are better than five good songs, eight middling songs and three or four that inspire puking and fancard shredding. One good album you took your time over is better than three shittastic ones even your fanbase mostly think suck.

Lose the daddy issues and accept you're never going to be as popular or rich as Madonna or Michael Jackson or indeed hit the height of radio popularity and sales you did in the 90s again. That will hopefully nip the entire desperate houswife AOR phase in the bud. That sound worked for Scarlet. It didn't work for anything thereafter.

berke
03-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Sack Mark as producer (which is what he effectively is at this point), maybe keep him as a husband (maybe).

How do we know that? I'm pretty sure she makes all the decisions. She has a huge ego, and would never let anyone, even her husband, make the decisions on her record.

neptunerune
03-26-2014, 04:02 AM
I for one would rehash A Piano and:

1. Include ALL her b-sides (except Scarlet's Hidden stuff) and, maybe, retain the speaking parts of "Toodles Mr. Jim", if it takes 2 discs for all her b-sides to be included, so be it. *sigh Operation peter Pan and Mountain!
2. Have a remastered version of the original "Professional Widow" and kick the remixed one out

Regina Phalange
03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
EPs are fine. Everything doesn't have to be a 20-track album. We'll buy b-sides and extra tracks, but they don't have to crammed on an album itself. You can tour on short albums and EPs. While you shouldn't listen to fans entirely, there are reasons so many of them ask for the same things (tour dvds, live cds, shows in new places), so they shouldn't be just ignored. Use your freedom from a traditional label/studio set-up not just by using your preferred people, but by experimenting. It's great to have a comfortable working environment and you've certainly paid your dues, but very few creative people don't need editing.

lucille
04-22-2014, 11:48 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/114183/tori-amos-n-shades-o.gif

thunderpanda
04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I think EP's like "Scarlet's Hidden Treasures" are perfect from a business and creative perspective alike. Keep the tracks that don't work on the album separate, but at the same time give them an overall release that is not just tacked on, but actually thought about and executed properly. 5 tracks off TBK and ADP each could easily be organised into nice, coherent EPs that Tori could have released in the middle of her tour, adding both publicity and revenue to that album era. Fans love it, it earns money, and it keeps everything much more organised and clean. For the last albums, I think Tori has treated material as either on the record, or nowhere at all. I don't like that.

Yo Jupiter
04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
^ Completely agree. Alongside the publicity/financial benefits, the general public and casual fans get shorter, more cohesive albums, and the bigger fans have the extra EPs to enjoy, but also to completely ignore if the songs suck, without ruining the listening experience of the main album.