PDA

View Full Version : Make your own TOAL Vol. 2

Yo Jupiter
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM
The discussions in the TOAL thread got me thinking: how would you organize a best of collection of Tori's songs from SW (where the last collection left off) onwards? There were threads about our faves from the Fori era etc., but never about what we'd actually put on a compilation.

1. It doesn't have to include all the singles (or practically any lol) because we all know what the actual singles have been like. Imagine if the new and refreshed Tori compiled it, and she is now aware which singles are worth putting on it, and which aren't (Big Wheel and 500 Miles, looking at you!). So basically it can include anything from SW-NoH (UG?) including B-sides/bonus tracks.

2. Try to be as objective as possible, meaning not necessarily choose your faves, but think about which ones best represent their albums, which ones are good for new listeners to get into Tori, which ones have no place on a compilation,...

3. Try to include at least 3 songs from each proper album, and at least 1 song from side projects like MG and GD.

Also we can discuss what would the artwork look like, organize the songs, maybe include new songs or something extra like a live DVD or something, etc.

(I'll make my own later, don't have the energy right now.)
:)

berke
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Ok this is a very good thread. I have two blocks of songs that work really well together but I can't finalize it.

All I know is this would be a very good opening in this order:

Parasol
A Sorta Fairytale
Strange
Fearlessness

and somewhere towards the middle there should be this sequence:

Flavor (Orchestral Version)
Abnormally Attracted to Sin
The Beekeeper
Taxi Ride
Bouncing off Clouds

other than that Beauty of Speed, Winter's Carol into Star Whisperer should be on it too. But I still think this would be better with Unrepentant Geraldines songs. Scarlet's Walk has great production and when you follow something like A Sorta Fairytale with an ADP track it's really jarring.

By the way listen to the Flavor(orchestral) / Abnormally Attracted to Sin / The Beekeeper sequence, they sound amazing with each other.

Yo Jupiter
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm glad you included the AATS title track, for me that is a sublime track in every way. And the Flavor/AATS/BKP sequence is awesome! I'd too include the orchestral Flavor, even though the original is also pretty neat

berke
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes the original is great too but there is this awesome contrast in orchestral Flavor into electronic Abnormally Attracted to Sin, it creates such a dark atmosphere. While compiling this list I realised that I found more tracks to include from AATS the album than The Beekeper for instance. There is this darkness in AATS that is just even more appearant when it is compiled together with tracks from Scarlet's Walk, The Beekeeper or American Doll Posse. Starling, Curtain Call, Lady in Blue, the title track.

Yo Jupiter
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Yes, I still stand by my opinion that AATS has some great songs that don't connect well with each other, and make the whole album kinda depressing and cold, but when I play them individually/on shuffle they sound awesome.

When organizing the compilation, I think I'd try to have the sequencing be album-by-album, because the production on all the albums is drastically different (and jarring in some cases) and it's difficult to shuffle the songs and make them blend into each other (unless everything gets remastered).

berke
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
You know she will remaster and neuter all the songs lol

Yo Jupiter
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I can already see her making a compilation with the Ophelia - Fat Slut - Flavor (remix) sequence ;l

MattyJam
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
1. A Sorta Fairytale
2. Taxi Ride
3. Virginia
4. Sweet The Sting
5. The Power Of Orange Knickers
6. The Beekeeper
7. Bouncing Off Clouds
8. Dragon
9. Girl Disappearing
10. Welcome To England
11. Fast Horse
12. Snow Angel
13. Winters Carol
14. Flavor (GD version)
15. Fearlessness
16. Star Whisperer
17. Troubles Lament

toriMODE
04-30-2014, 12:26 AM
01. Scarlet's Walk
02. 16 Shades of Blue
03. Shattering Sea
04. General Joy
05. Pancake
06. Not David Bowie
07. The Beekeeper
08. Weatherman
09. Garlands
10. Winter's Carol
11. Take Me With You
12. Dragon
13. Fearlessness
14. Miracle
15. Walk to Dublin
16. Code Red
17. Starling
18. Fast Horse
19. Virginia
20. Abnormally Attracted to Sin
21. Star Whisperer
22. Promise
23. Star of Wonder
24. Flavor (Gold Dust)
25. Bouncing off Clouds

MikeEP
04-30-2014, 02:07 AM
A Sorta Fairytale
Carbon
Gold Dust
Apollo's Frock
Garlands
The Beekeeper
Not David Bowie
Code Red
Beauty of Speed
Dragon
Welcome to England
Curtain Call
Lady in Blue
Winter's Carol
Our New Year
Fearlessness
Star Whisperer
Edge of the Moon

thunderpanda
04-30-2014, 02:37 AM
1. So basically it can include anything from SW-NoH (UG?) including B-sides/bonus tracks.

2. Try to be as objective as possible, meaning not necessarily choose your faves, but think about which ones best represent their albums.

3. Try to include at least 3 songs from each proper album, and at least 1 song from side projects like MG and GD.

So only from Scarlet onwards... Apart from the entire SHT and Garlands, I really don't see any of the b-sides as being good enough to merit a spot. I'm gonna try to keep this "short". I won't add any UG tracks although I feel like TL, Oysters and Selkie are already good enough.

It was difficult to decide the track sequence, but to me it sounds good when I play it in this order:

01. A Sorta Fairytale
02. Taxi Ride
03. Bouncing Off Clouds
04. Parasol
05. I Can't See New York
06. Original Sinsuality <--- YES. AND BETWEEN THESE. IT'S BETTER THAN YOU THUNK.
07. Flavor (Album version)
08. Body and Soul
09. Code Red
10. Curtain Call
10. Gold Dust
11. Cloud on my Tongue (Orchestral version)
12. Marianne (Orchestra versionl)
13. Winter's Carol
14. Fearlessness
15. Edge of the Moon
16. Carry
17. Toast
18. The Beekeeper

Okay so I actually love this playlist now... Making this a permanent in my iTunes.

I'd keep the "Tales" part of the title from the first compilation, so that they have some connection, but I'd call this record "Tales of a woman". I'm almost cringing at it, but I think it's vague and accurate enough, reflecting that it's not a complete retrospective, but it's a overall a more adult/seasoned subject matter for Tori than her first 5 albums. Also, she's been so obsessed with singing for and about women in all these kind of situations, so.

Artwork-wise, I'd be happy with something simple, like a collage of pics from each era, with Tori not necessarily getting all dolled up for a new promo shoot. Maybe one or two, but more like a snapshot than a concept of its own.

yoshi
04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
mine would look like this:
Best of 2002-2012
(part 1 - best of)
01. A Sorta Fairytale
02. Taxi Ride
03. Parasol
04. Ribbons Undone
05. Take Me With You
06. Girl Disappearing
07. Smokey Joe
08. Curtain Call
09. Flavor (Gold Dust version)
10. Shattering Sea
11. Edge of the Moon
12. Wampum Prayer
(part 2 - live bonus tracks)
13. I Can't See New York (live 2002/03)
14. Original Sinsuality (live 2005)
15. Code Red (live 2007)
16. Fearlessness (live 2011)

Spartacus
05-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Sweet Sangria
A Sorta Fairytale
Miracle
Jamaica Inn
Father's Son
Starling
Star Whisperer
Operation Peter Pan
Parasol
Code Red
Velvet Revolution
Marys of The Sea
Fearlessness
The Beekeeper
Gold Dust
Curtain Call

I have this mix already and I like it :-)

Venus_Envy
05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Carbon
Bouncing Off Clouds
Virginia
Sweet The Sting
Flavor (Gold Dust Version)
A Sorta Fairytale
Barons Of Suburbia
Curtain Call
Parasol
Mountain
Strange
The Beekeeper
I Can't See New York
Taxi Ride
Beauty Of Speed
Gold Dust
Miracle
Scarlet's Walk
Carry
Code Red
Garlands

Bonus DVD:

Almost Rosey (Live, solo)
Crazy (Live, solo)
Sleeps With Butterflies (Live, solo)
Live from Le Poisson Rouge, 2012

Yo Jupiter
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
This is only in the order of the albums, I'm not good at organizing songs according to ''flow''

1. A Sorta Fairytale
2. Taxi Ride
3. I Can't See New York (too relevant and amazing to be left out of a compilation)
4. Virginia
5. Parasol
6. Original Sinsuality
7. The Beekeeper
8. Toast
9. Bouncing off Clouds
10. Body and Soul
11. Smokey Joe
12. Welcome to England
13. Abnormally Attracted to Sin
14. Starling
15. Our New Year
16. Shattering Sea
17. Carry
18. Flavor (orchestral)
19. America
20. Trouble's Lament
21. Oysters

lovecraft
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
You Can Bring Your Dog,Ive Got Threeee (A Tori Amos Collection)

A Sorta Fairytale(Not a big fan of the song but if this is a "best of" edition,this has to be here.)
Flavor (GD version)
Beauty Speed
Pancake
Smokey Joe
Mother Revolution
The Power of OK(Same deal with ASF.though i seriously dislike the song)
Taxi Ride(Id pick Vegas,Amber or Sangria over this,but this is more catchy and popular it seems)
Sleeps With Butterflies
Bouncing off Clouds
Welcome To England(This over Maybe California.Honestly enough AATS)
Fearlessness
Gold Dust(SW version,can change with I Cant See New York)
Carry
Trouble's Lament(From the new album,Selkie can be added later)

oops i forgot SWB

Venus_Envy
05-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Taxi Ride(Id pick Vegas,Amber or Sangria over this,but this is more catchy and popular it seems)

[hand]

[rock]

[spank]

Octopussy
05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't think she should do this. I think she should put out a 2-disc career-spanning collection, seeing as how the Atlantic years were so poorly represented on Tales.

This is how I would make one...this week. I always change these things.

Disc 1

01. Me and a Gun (I know, first song, WTF? But really what song is more important than this)
02. Precious Things
03. Taxi Ride
04. Silent All These Years
05. Cornflake Girl
06. A Sorta Fairytale (101 Mix)
07. Jackie's Strength
08. Crucify (Unedited Single Mix)
09. Winter
10. Professional Widow
11. Mr. Zebra
12. Spark
13. Caught a Lite Sneeze
14. 1000 Oceans
15. God
16. Bliss
17. Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version)
18. Bouncing Off Clouds
19. Pretty Good Year

Disc 2

Um. I'll have to get back to you on the order of this one. I would any include any of the following.

1. Past the Mission
2. ??
(in order of release date)
Tear in Your Hand
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Baker Baker
Cloud on My Tongue
Talula (Tornado Mix)
Siren
Cruel
Raspberry Swirl
Playboy Mommy
Concertina (Single Mix)
Glory of the 80s
'97 Bonnie & Clyde
Amber Waves
Strange
Gold Dust
Parasol
The Power of Orange Knickers
Sleeps with Butterflies (it was fairly successful, like it or not)
Beauty of Speed
Miracle
Abnormally Attracted to Sin
Winter's Carol
Edge of the Moon
Shattering Sea
Unrepentant Geraldines
16 Shades of Blue
either Trouble's Lament or Promise.

make it 3 discs? In a few years, Tori will have been at it for almost 3 decades, so it's warranted.

Venus_Envy
05-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I like the idea of a 2 CD compilation. Like a more condensed version of A Piano.

Joni Mitchell released 2 compilations simultaneously called "Hit" and "Miss". "Hit" was all the singles and "Miss" was more deep cuts. Maybe Tori could do something like that, with the "Miss" CD being voted for via ToriAmos.com? I'd also really love to see a compilation album of all the remixes.

Yo Jupiter
05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
I really hope she does something like Joni or Bjork in terms of Hits/Misses or letting fans pick out her greatest hits

Out of all the dodgy singles from SW-onwards, I think SWB, Bouncing off Clouds, Welcome to England, Carry and Flavor should be included because they ain't bad (SWB maybe is, but it was known so ok)

Venus_Envy
05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
SWB maybe is, but it was known so ok

I am completely unrepentant in my love for "Sleeps With Butterflies". I think it's a great song and even in the days when I disliked TBK, I loved it.

thunderpanda
05-08-2014, 01:30 PM
^ Agree. Nobody can make me dislike SWB. I heart it. I ... HEART... IT

spyk_
05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
This would be my post-2001 greatest hits:

Scarlet's Walk

thunderpanda
05-09-2014, 02:08 AM
So having somewhat started processing UG, if I were to take 3 tracks from that album and add onto a post-2001 compilation, they would be:

- 16 Shades of Blue, not just because it's great but because it also has no similarity with other post-2001 stuff, so good for the overall variation.

- Selkie, because it's so darn good, sincere and airy.

- Trouble's Lament, not because it's my favourite off UG, but because it's mid-tempo fun and twang.