PDA

View Full Version : Tori trilogies

JamieC
05-17-2014, 10:13 AM
So I think Selkie / Unrepentant Geraldines / Oysters might just be my favourite three-song sequence ever from Tori.

BeautyQueen/Horses / Blood Roses / Father Lucifer and Scarlet's Walk / Virginia / Gold Dust up there too.

Other holy trinities?

Octopussy
05-17-2014, 10:36 AM
uh basically any 3-song sequence from Pele. That's actually the only album where I still listen to the intended running order, everything I else I like re-sequenced with extra tracks. (or less, in some cases.)

besides Pele, there's also: The Waitress / Cornflake Girl / Icicle. I've had this album for about 15 years now and I'm still blown away by that.

Yo Jupiter
05-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Strange / Carbon / Crazy
Spark / Cruel / Black-Dove
Pancake / ICSNY / Mrs Jesus
Not the Red Baron / Agent Orange / Doughnut Song
Riot Poof / Datura / Spring Haze
Cornflake Girl / Icicle / Cloud on My Tongue
Give / Welcome to England / Strong Black Vine (maybe; would be a lot better with Flavor instead of SBV)

But tbh, the LE-SW albums are so perfectly sequenced that all the tracks make one big awesome sequence. Well, except for FTCH, that track order is kinda weird to me.

I was just looking at the TBK, ADP and AATS tracklists to find a nice sequence, but man, it's like she was purposely trying to make the tracks as weirdly and messily placed as possible ;l Especially ADP, that one takes the throne of the most horrible track order ever.

I can't find any especially great sequence in UG either.

Octopussy
05-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Especially ADP, that one takes the throne of the most horrible track order ever.

The track order was part of why I initially loved ADP -- it was so different from any other Tori album. I actually think Mr. Bad Man / Fat Slut / Girl Disappearing / Secret Spell is kind of genius.

lovecraft
05-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Hotel - Playboy Mommy - Pandora's Aquarium -> I really like those three as closer for FTCH.Hotel and Playboy Mommy compliments each other pretty well and Pandora is the best closer like ever.

The other trilogy i like is Lust-Suede-Josephine because it feels so sensual and similar in theme wise.

Andrew
05-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Hotel - Playboy Mommy - Pandora's Aquarium -> I really like those three as closer for FTCH.Hotel and Playboy Mommy compliments each other pretty well and Pandora is the best closer like ever.

Yeah this was my first thought, if only because "Hotel" into "Playboy Mommy" is her best sequencing ever, both thematically and musically. You have this huge, rushing, complex, textured piece of wild, unfocused, partially incoherent emotion that disintegrates, fatigued, into bare-bones piano and breathy whispers of 'I'm still alive', and then the next track is a relatively simple, stately and straightforward song about loss. It's an all-cried-out, thoughts-collected song, able to deal with its grief more coherently and reasonably after the "I'm still alive" realisation, tho it's still intensely dejected. And the playful/sinister marching synth brass coda of "Hotel" takes a stunning and fluid emotional turn into PB's mournful synth woodwinds. I think that's my favorite part of the album, actually. It's like "Mr. Zebra" into "Marianne" on a smaller, dorkier scale.

Oooh, and then there's the whole 'exit 75' thing and PB's roadside café jukebox americana aesthetic. It's like a rest stop after rushing through mountain tunnels at 100 mph.

Also agreeeed on Pele. Any three song sequence is a perfect trilogy. Jupiter->Way Down->Amsterdam stands out as an especially amazing sequence, but the closing trio is my absolute favorite, partly for the quality of the songs and partly for its emotional trajectory.

Joey
05-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Scarlet's Walk / Virginia / Gold Dust

Lust / Suede / Josephine

Marianne / Caught a Lite Sneeze / Muhammad My Friend

lovecraft
05-17-2014, 08:14 PM
As for Boys For Pele i always thought Beauty Queen/Horses - Blood Roses - Father Lucifer is the best sequence on that album.Horses is the realization of this break-up,Blood Roses is the anger and pain which leads her descent into her subconciousness that is Father Lucifer(and of course rest of the album)

--
Ah English is hard sometimes.

Littlegreen
05-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Father's Son / Programmable Soda / Code Red

- I quite like these three together.

achillthatbends
05-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Bliss
Juárez
Concertina

Flawless.

Chosen
05-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Suede / Josephine / Riot Poof

Owen
05-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Strange/Carbon/Crazy is so perfect, it still packs a punch after over a decade (omg) of listening.

Yo Jupiter
05-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Honestly, I think TVAB and SW are one big amazing sequence. Everything there blends so nicely, one song into the next one