PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Canada!

MTC
06-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Did kathaksung move to Canada? My brother in Detroit said he felt it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/06/canadian_earthq.html

Becka
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
My dad in A2 felt it. Said it was like the ground was humming.

I did post in TUS about it. was pretty unsettling for sure, this was the third one i've felt and by far the biggest.

I was sitting at my desk and could hear/barely feel some rumbling I thought construction truck outside as our neighbours are having extensive landscaping done.. then i was like WHOA, no desk is vibrating EARTHQUAKE! kev had his headphones on he couldn't hear me asking him if he could feel that, by the time i turned around and pushed on his shoulder the house heaved. stuff was falling off shelves, tupperware all over the kitchen off the top of the pantry, i thought my monitor was going to snap off the stand or tip over, the floor dropped out from under me, pretty much stood in the doorframe holding lucien. Lucien was right freaked out he was hollering WHAT ISSSSSSS THAAAAAAAAAAAAT? it lasted about 30-40 seconds and then i could feel vibrations for about 3 minutes after the fact .

MTC
06-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I think I would have been a little freaked out by it.

pan
06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I didn't feel a thing....but keep in mind my house rumbles from the movement from the huge trucks that drive by...

maybe I mistook that for this

in single file
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Some of us down here in Pittsburgh felt it!!! My coworker's desk was vibrating but I was too busy stuffing my face with animal crackers to notice anything.

marci
06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I felt it big time! I work on the 33rd floor, so it was very noticeable (and scary)! Everyone ran out of their offices to a little group of us standing around. Minutes before, I saw choppers flying by (due to the G20), so my first thought was that i something was bombed. I had just read on twitter that one of the choppers had landed at the base of the CN tower... so I hopped on Twitter for an update right away and everyone was saying "earthquake???". Many nearby buildings evacuated, but I went on my lunch break as ours wasn't. It was a little nerve wracking taking the elevator, but it was nice to be on the ground. (cue migraine!)

sara
06-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm waiting for my mother to call me, shrieking hysterically that "zomg Vancouver is next!!!~~11". She's convinced I'm going to be smushed in "the big one" out here.
CBC was reporting earlier that there weren't many injuries from it, which is good to hear.

Tad
06-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Been having a few here in San Diego lately also. Pretty common here but they have been a bit larger recently.

Michael Michael
06-24-2010, 12:11 AM
I had a comps meeting in a cafe and we didn't feel a thing. An hour later I was walking down Bloor Street and some dude was all "didja feel the earthquake" and I was all "I don't know what that means." I thought maybe it was some new youf slang and he was criticizing my outfit. Turns out he was being literal!

This is the first earthquake I have ever lived through and I didn't even feel it. My TO friends' experiences seem to suggest that the higher above ground you were, the more you felt it.

JAE
06-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Did kathaksung move to Canada?

We need to get kathaksung over here STAT.

Clearly this has something to do with the G20.

Becka
06-24-2010, 12:28 AM
http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100623/OTT_gracefield_100623/20100623?hub=OttawaHome&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Severe earthquake damage to buildings and at least one highway in Gracefield, Que. -- as well as surrounding areas -- prompted officials to declare a state of emergency in the Western Quebec town on Wednesday.

Becka
06-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Photo Gallery (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Gallery%20Ottawa%20earthquake/3192765/story.html)

seeing these images is so surreal in comparison to other earthquake photos over the past while, but thankfully no one was hurt, but this was a pretty sizeable one for us in this area.

the bridge that was destroyed, i drove over that bad boy just saturday afternoon.

and i still want the backstory to this photo
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/3192121.bin?size=620x400

Ian Vallance, a lawyer and partner with Victor Ages Vallance, wearing only a borrowed suit jacket, stands outside his office building at 112 Lisgar.

what were you doing Sir that has you standing in only a suitcoat outside of your office building ?

JAE
06-24-2010, 12:39 AM
That's really surreal. Those people are sitting in the exact parking space I had last time I was at Bayshore Mall.

Becka
06-24-2010, 12:48 AM
:P i meant in the way that this quake? nothing in comparison to what happens out there, but it's really got people freaked out here in Ottawa including myself as just 4 days ago i was pretty much in the epicentre area of the quake.

JAE
06-24-2010, 12:50 AM
No really, it's surreal for me because I parked in that parking space and remember it because I hit the curb!

Becka
06-24-2010, 12:52 AM
-lol- oh.. i thought you were taking the piss out of me

(you still could be but that's ok, I'm half in the bag *L)

JAE
06-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Sorry, it does look like that, but I wasn't - I lived in Hintonburg for six months last year and Bayshore was like ten minutes away!

Becka
06-24-2010, 12:58 AM
crazy!

(even crazier that you were here last year and i never had the chance to take you out to have a drink or something! wtf?)

JAE
06-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah I didn't even think! I wasn't around on @ much really anyway, I only had limited Internet time. And TBH you were probably more likely to find me trashed in a bar anyway :p

I will be back at some stage though, I've got lots of good friends out that direction.

Becka
06-24-2010, 01:06 AM
-lol- for sure give me a shout :)

ej
06-24-2010, 02:46 AM
and i still want the backstory to this photo
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/3192121.bin?size=620x400

Ian Vallance, a lawyer and partner with Victor Ages Vallance, wearing only a borrowed suit jacket, stands outside his office building at 112 Lisgar.

what were you doing Sir that has you standing in only a suitcoat outside of your office building ?He was changing for a court appearance when the quake hit, so he wound up grabbing a client's suit jacket and running out of the building in his underwear.

Becka
06-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Riiiiiiiight

m.m
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
it's all very surreal, when somebody told me yesterday i think i said, "how bizarrrre"

my sister lives in ottawa, and she said she was driving at the time and didn't feel anything - which seems to be in contrast to everything else i've read, but there you go!

ej
06-24-2010, 01:52 PM
The general consensus around here seems to be that if you were standing or driving (or not in a highrise building), it was more difficult to notice. My sister's building was in fact evacuated. I certainly felt it. But I was talking to the groom/stableboy at the barn at which my daughter rides last night, and he said that he noticed nothing at all. He's on his feet all day. Some of the Moms felt it and others didn't. My wife was in the car and felt nothing.

But then, we were hundreds of kilometres away from the epicentre.