in order:

Boys For Pele
Under the Pink
American Doll Posse
Unrepentant Geraldines
To Venus And Back

Least Fave:

Scarlet's Walk (yes, its true.....)

SW has a half dozen classic numbers, but overall its so downbeat and heavy. And Strange and Crazy are soooooo sedate and barely there. I can't believe they were written by Tori.

toriMODE
09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
01. From the choirgirl hotel
02. To Venus and Back
03. Boys for Pele
04. Under the Pink
05. Scarlet's Walk

Least Favorite:

American Doll Posse

Kala
09-16-2014, 06:55 PM
This is easy!

Scarlet
Pink
Pele
Earthquakes
Choirgirl

Least Favorite

Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Yo Jupiter
09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Are we including Gold Dust and SLG? There's no new and/or original material there, so I'm not gonna include them

Anyway:
1. Scarlet's Walk
2. From the Choirgirl Hotel
3. The Beekeeper
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Least fave:
Midwinter Graces

Kala
09-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Oh fuck MWG is an abomination. The weirdo pronunciations just grate so much - A WINTAH'S CAROL!!! THE SONG OV THE ROBON!! - but since i don't consider it an album proper like her other studio works, I didn't include it. Gold Dust is awful too just because it held so much promise.

NightHunter
09-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I actually love MWG lots of great music!!! ::and:: I think SLG is a great achievement for Tori. She really managed those covers well.

Kala
09-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed about SLG - it's a brave and ambitious album, but oddly enough, I don't find myself returning to it like the others.

But Real Men, New Age, Time, and Enjoy the Silence are among her best covers EVER!! In fact Real Men is my favorite live Tori cover of all time - I get very emotional listening to that song.

.chris
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Very easy-

From the Choirgirl Hotel
Boys for Pele
Under the Pink
To Venus and Back
Little Earthquakes

Least favorite:
AATS / MWG

lovecraft
09-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Goods
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and Back
Strange Little Girls
Under the Pink
Scarlet's Walk

No thanks
Midwinter Graces

fullofwish
09-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I don't even have to think about this!

LE
UTP
BFP
FTCH
SW

AATS (The only one I refuse to have on my computer)

dAmION
09-16-2014, 08:47 PM
TVAB
BFP
UTP
SW
MG

ADP

Yo Jupiter
09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
I feel very sacrilegious with my top 5 ;l but I wanted to be as objective as possible so I divided my no. of plays for each album with the no. of songs to get an average, and it turned out like that. And subjectively I agree with that. Even though I'm aware certain two albums are out of place :P

Yo Jupiter
09-16-2014, 09:26 PM
I've been obsessed with Snow Angel and Comfort and Joy lately. Best two songs from the album, amazing and emotional! Winter's Carol, Star of Wonder and Our New Year are the only other three I find nice, but seem too dramatic on purpose (Idk how to explain this but ok). Angel and C&J are beautifully simple and warm and emotion-inducing.

So there's a good Xmas EP in the album, which is what she should've released. The rest of MG can disappear from existence for all I care.

InvisibleBK
09-16-2014, 09:59 PM
1) TVAB
2) FTCH
3) SLG
4) BFP
5) UTP

I almost considered both UG and SW as well!

Midwinter Graces would be at the bottom for me if I'm going to count it. If not ADP.

Myshuno
09-16-2014, 10:03 PM
No definite order on top 5:

Boys For Pele
Choirgirl Hotel
Under The Pink
Venus & Back
Scarlet's Walk

Least favourite:

Strange Little Girls (edit: oh wait, if Gold Dust can be considered anything other than forgettable filler, then that is the least favourite).

Octopussy
09-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm boring. My faves will always be the first five.

From the Choirgirl Hotel
Boys for Pele
To Venus and Back
Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink

Least:
Kind of a three way tie with Abnormally, Midwinter and Gold Dust. Do I have to pick just one? Worst is definitely GD, every song has unforgivable flaws. If that doesn't count (and it probably should because it is all new recordings) then Midwinter. I like maybe 3 songs on that. Winter's Carol is wonderful but deserved better studio treatment (not to mention performance)

Edit: interesting, when you consider that Night of Hunters was recorded after Gold Dust, her albums got progressively worse for quite awhile. Hunters is a timid return, and on Geraldines she sounds stronger and more vital than she has in a decade. I now cannot wait to see what's next for Tori, and for the right reasons this time (not just to make fun of it in MS paint)

silver
09-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Top 5:
-Scarlet's Walk
-To Venus and Back
-Unrepentant Geraldines
-Boys for Pele
-Under the Pink

Bottom:
Midwinter Graces (though Our New Year is always welcome.)

emptytuileries
09-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Pele
Pink
Scarlet
Choirgirl
Venus

Abnormally

Beelust
09-17-2014, 03:06 AM
Earthquakes
Choirgirl
Pele
Pink
Geraldines (mmmhmmm - wtf Tori?!? - or is it still the newish factor?)

Doll Posse

Kimbo Slice
09-17-2014, 03:34 AM
Favorite:
1. Boys for Pele
2. Under the Pink
3. From the Choirgirl Hotel
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. Night of Hunter's or Unrepentant Geraldines

Least favorite:

1. Midwinter Graces/Gold Dust

4horseengine
09-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Top 5:

Scarlet
Choirgirl
Pink
Pele
Venus

Least:

NoH

dAmION
09-17-2014, 04:15 AM
Edit: interesting, when you consider that Night of Hunters was recorded after Gold Dust, her albums got progressively worse for quite awhile. Hunters is a timid return, and on Geraldines she sounds stronger and more vital than she has in a decade. I now cannot wait to see what's next for Tori, and for the right reasons this time (not just to make fun of it in MS paint)

You've got that mixed up Gold Dust was recorded/released AFTER Night of Hunters. :)

Octopussy
09-17-2014, 04:42 AM
I don't have the CD so I can't look at the credits or anything, but I swear I heard that it was mostly done in 2010 around the time of the Metropole concert. Am I wrong???

Angel's Mask
09-17-2014, 05:22 AM
Her first 5 and order of fave depends on the day and mood.

Least is MWG. I just can't listen to it.

jacob's room
09-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Currently it'd be something like this, but it changes:

Favorites:
Boys for Pele
from the choirgirl hotel
Under the Pink
Scarlet's Walk
Little Earthquakes

Least:

moore1190
09-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Favorites:

Boys For Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Under the Pink
Strange Little Girls
Scarlet's Walk

Least:
AATS.

Alejandro
09-17-2014, 10:36 AM
1. UTP
2. SW
3. FTCH
4. TVAB
5. UG

Least - Gold Dust (The only album I don't have a physical copy of)

silver
09-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I don't have the CD so I can't look at the credits or anything, but I swear I heard that it was mostly done in 2010 around the time of the Metropole concert. Am I wrong???

No, it was recorded before and released after NoH. :)

JayPeaches
09-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Top Five
SW
FTCH
BFP
LE
SLG
* I really want to put TBK on there somewhere, but it doesn't feel right to replace any of these.

Least Favorite
MG

waitressboy
09-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Top 5:
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus And Back
Strange Little Girls
Little Earthquakes
American Doll Posse

Oh God Why:
Midwinter Flying Jesus

sparkhotel
09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Boys For Pele
Scarlet's Walk
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Under the Pink
Venus

AATS

Alpha Neutral
09-17-2014, 03:50 PM
1. Scarlet's Walk
2. Boys for Pele
4. Under the Pink
5. Strange Little Girls

Sub-Zero: Midwinter Graces

bkork
09-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Boys for Pele
Strange Little Girls
Little Earthquakes
Scarlet's Walk
From the Choirgirl Hotel

American Doll Posse

TASpark658
09-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Top 5:

From the Choirgirl Hotel
Little Earthquakes extended
Under the Pink
Scarlet's Walk
Unrepentant Geraldines

(not sure where Boys for Pele went but hasn't been on the radar for awhile now)

Least favorite:

Midwinter Graces, because it's seasonal but I listen to Strange Little Girls just as much so I guess maybe both? I think Strange Little Girls is a failed opportunity just like Gold Dust when you know she was going to cover Fear of a Black Planet; it does have HIAWG and production that cannot be matched.

Scottish Mike
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Strange Little Girls
To Venus and Back
Little Earthquakes

ADP

NUHN
09-17-2014, 04:51 PM
It is still so interesting to me that so many think of SLG as a "lesser" album. IMO its one of the best things she's done.

UTP
BFP
LE
SW
SLG

AATS

berke
09-17-2014, 05:12 PM
1- Boys for Pele
2- From the Choirgirl Hotel
3- Under the Pink
4- Little Earthquakes
5- Scarlet's Walk

Midwinter Graces

lovecraft
09-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I dont SLG has a "big miss" like on GD,ADP or even NOH.There are great,carreer best covers and some lesser ones but nothing outright bad.

nathan zephyrus
09-17-2014, 05:24 PM
1. Boys for Pele
2. Under the Pink
3. Strange Little Girls
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. from the choirgirl hotel

American Doll Posse is by far the worst

Bloody Grace
09-17-2014, 06:00 PM
1. Choirgirl
2. Boys for Pele
3. Scarlet's Walk
4. Geraldines
5. Under the Pink

Least fav
AATS, or GD
I don't like SLG much but it's at least well done, I don't like it as a whole.

Alamo
09-17-2014, 06:05 PM
To Venus and Back
Boys for Pele
Under the Pink
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk

Midwinter Graces

NUHN
09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
I don't consider SLG a lesser album, I just feel like evaluating her original material on a different level than covers.

Oh sure, I understand that. Not putting it top five, sure. I mean more the people placing it at the bottom alongside terrible albums like AATS and MG and GD. That's something else. But its cool, just jarring to me.

MikeEP
09-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Strange and Crazy are soooooo sedate and barely there. I can't believe they were written by Tori.

does not compute.

Faust
09-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Right now?

Boys for Pele
Scarlet's Walk
Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
Strange Little Girls

F-
Abnormally Attracted

Cunter Fartlett
09-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Under The Pink
Boys For Pele
Night Of Hunters
Choirgirl
Little Earthquakes

The Beekeeper/AATS are a tie for least favorite.

As far as Original Material Albums vs. Other sourced, I walk the line on that one. I do consider SLG to be a proper album. I do not think of MWG or GD as proper albums, though. It could be because I love SLG and hate the latter two.

Yo Jupiter
09-17-2014, 09:59 PM
As far as Original Material Albums vs. Other sourced, I walk the line on that one. I do consider SLG to be a proper album. I do not think of MWG or GD as proper albums, though. It could be because I love SLG and hate the latter two.

Yeah, it's probably easier to add SLG to her main discography because it's impressive and respect-worthy, while at the same time distance MG/GD from the discography because they are just huge stains :D

But I count MG (unfortunately) because it does have quite a number of original songs.

menju56
09-17-2014, 10:08 PM
In release order:

Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk

With Strange Little Girls banging on the door trying to get in.

Least:

Midwinter Graces. Frequently ghastly.

Honey
09-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Stays pretty consistent.

1. Under The Pink
2. To Venus & Back
3. Boys For Pele
4. The Beekeeper
5. Scarlet's Walk

Save a few - scrap the rest:
Abnormally Attracted To Sin

yoshi
09-17-2014, 10:54 PM
+ top 5
Boys for Pele
Under the Pink
Little Earthquakes
From the Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and Back

I really do like SLG and UG a lot, and I thought about putting one of them up there, but when it comes down to it she was really on a run with the first five "classic" albums.

- least favorite
The whole run from AATS to Gold Dust was just a sad mess, but if we have to choose just one I guess I'll have to go with AATS because it's the worst all original material (which actually makes it even sadder)
I hardly ever listen to MWG or GD - I actually can't remember the last time I did listen to them.
I was on the fence about NOH, but then I remembered that I only really liked the tour for that album and the album itself not so much. my favorite part of that was actually how she reworked her old songs, so I'm thinking the tour would have easily been as good without that album

NightHunter
09-18-2014, 12:16 AM
I will always love American Doll Posse. and the tour. so much ambition. Tori trying something new.... I love it......I even loved the jumpsuits!!!!!!

LauraPalmer
09-18-2014, 04:08 AM
1. Boys for Pele
2. Under the Pink
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. Unrepentant Geraldines

dislike
AATS

The Seaward
09-18-2014, 05:42 AM
1. Pele
2. Choirgirl
3. Pink
4. Scarlet
5. LE

KILL AATS WITH FIRE.

hey j.
09-18-2014, 05:43 AM
1. Scarlet's Walk
2. Boys for Pele
4. To Venus and Back
5. Under the Pink

Least favourite

This is not including Tales, Gold Dust or Midwinter Graces.

I do see Strange Little Girls and Night of Hunters as proper albums, but wouldn't rank them in the top 5.

hey j.
09-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Okay Kids, here we go:

in order:

Boys For Pele
Under the Pink
American Doll Posse
Unrepentant Geraldines
To Venus And Back

Least Fave:

Scarlet's Walk (yes, its true.....)

Noooo, not Scarlet!

It's incredible how divisive Tori albums are. For example the new album sheen of Unrepentant Geraldine's has well and truly worn off for me, and while I love half of the album, the other half falls totally flat for me (wild way, maids, promise, giants rolling pin, rose dover, invisible boy ... no thanks!)

Sansa Spark
09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Pele
UtP
Choirgirl
Venus
LE

Least favorite: AAtS

pancakefrompele
09-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Pele
Scarlet
Choirgirl
NOH
LE

Least Favorite: SLG

I completely understand the disdain for MWG. I have to say I do love MWG as a seasonal album, sans 3 songs (Candle, Holly, Harps). I really wish it had the power and production of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. I also wish she had done a cover of Happy Xmas by John Lennon. Oh, well.

Joey
09-24-2014, 04:25 AM
01. Boys for Pele
02. Scarlet's Walk
03. Under the Pink
04. From the Choirgirl Hotel
05. Little Earthquakes

Abnormally Attracted to Sin, but if it counted as a proper album I really think Midwinter Graces would take the bottom slot).

The Seaward
09-24-2014, 04:34 AM
I know a lot of folks despise MWG, but I generally don't have a problem with it during the holidays. I mean, sure: the cover art is an abomination and the baby voice/mangled pronunciation sucks, but the instrumentation and production is overall better than most of the Beekeeper through Gold Dust era. It's pleasant music for wrapping Christmas presents. I do really love Star of Wonder. Much more so than any track from ADP or AATS, in fact.

dAmION
09-24-2014, 04:54 AM
Surprised by the lack of ADP hate.

The Seaward
09-24-2014, 05:04 AM
I really dislike most of ADP, but the audio abortion that was AATS takes the cake. I also can't with Gold Dust. Utterly pointless release.

obsceno pajaro
09-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Boys
Hotel
Pink
Scarlet
Earthquakes

and the minus goes to Sin

hey j.
09-24-2014, 12:28 PM
I really dislike most of ADP, but the audio abortion that was AATS takes the cake. I also can't with Gold Dust. Utterly pointless release.

Even though the songwriting on AATS sucks for the most part, I would have to say the production of the instrumentation is probably the most interesting since SLG. UG beats it in terms of vocals, but the programmed beats kind if make it feel lifeless. I think UG produced like AATS would have been amazing.

lovecraft
09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I can't with AATS's production.Yes it is clear and slick but that slickness(is this even a word?) rubs me in the wrong way.I much prefer ADP's muddiness or sweet MOR like production of TBK because these features gave the records a character.
I also think UG is better produced by miles especially on piano based songs.My only problem with UG (about production) is how drums sound like potatoes on faster songs.
Also a big no to the fart like synths

Cunter Fartlett
09-24-2014, 01:57 PM
I think AATS's production is sort of awful. It's lazy. I think if they would have taken 9-10 songs on that album to really get right, it could have been close in production terms to choirgirl, but some of the songs sound lazy. Curtain Call, while it's one of the better songs on the album, has the most awful, lazy production. Same with Lady In Blue. There are a few they got right, though. In general, though the album is a mess. I'm only using TBK as my benchmark for suck because it's so incredibly BORING and pedestrian.

MWG and GD I don't even count as proper albums, so that's why I don't put them on my list. I view them as entirely inconsequential, although Darwin is right about MWG, it has some beautiful moments and is seasonally appropriate. I can listen to it a few times while putting up a tree or wrapping up a few presents, but that's as far as I take it.

lovecraft
09-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Yas to all of this.she/he/they totally butchered those 2 songs,especially Lady in Blue.Mac jizzes all over the song for 3 minutes in the jam part.The only songs that sorta work with that production type are WtE(still that guitar),title track,Fast Horse and Starling imho.

silver
09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
I think Flavor is still the best song off AAtS. It has a great atmosphere. However, what always bugged me is how anticlimactic the "Turn up the frequency" line is--it should've been delivered with a little more power, but I understand her voice wasn't in perfect form at the time. Sadly, the GD version is even more anticlimactic. ;l

Domandapiano
09-24-2014, 03:56 PM
best:

boys for pele
under the pink
little earthquakes
from the choirgirl hotel
scarlet's walk

worst:
abnormally attracted to sin

hey j.
09-25-2014, 02:38 AM
I agree that the piano only tracks on UG beat the hell out of the solo(ish) tracks on AATS. But I listen to something like Fast Horse and (apart from the vocals) wish Wedding Day was produced like that. And Flavor and AATS are so much more effective in achieving atmosphere, than the cheap sounding beats and effects on 16 Shades of Blue.

hey j.
09-25-2014, 07:03 AM
.I much prefer ADP's muddiness or sweet MOR like production of TBK because these features gave the records a character. This is precisely why I think ADP is the worst offender, because it really stripped the record of any character (IMO). The songs (especially the more rock oriented ones) deserved to be produced much more aggressively and raw, but they sounds so flat.

Yo Jupiter
09-25-2014, 09:49 AM
I find ADP frustrating because she could've had such a hit with that album and the singles. It was her album with the most accessible and radio-friendly songs, and instead of using that potential, she had two crappy music videos and that's it. Even remixes would've been good. But no, why make a remix for Bouncing off Clouds when you can make one for fucking orchestral Flavor, the most non-remixable song there is.

inexcelsis17
09-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Top Five:
Boys For Pele
Choirgirl
Under the Pink
Scarlet's Walk
Little Earthquakes

Worst of the Worst:
Beekeeper
Tough decision, though. TBK doesn't feature the dregs of her songwriting the way ADP and AATS do, but on the whole I find it to be far more irritating and grating.

Octopussy
09-25-2014, 01:24 PM
AATS is plastic craptastic Foribot. I know we always talk about this, but I really was just trying to listen to it after work today, and I had completely tuned out before Welcome to England was even over. I still can't believe she made an album so un-engaging and lifeless. There's like 5 songs that could be saved.

ADP has like 10-12 good songs but they sound like bootlegs of a shelved studio session. When it first leaked, I didn't mind, I assumed someone had just ripped it in mono to get around a watermark or something... but no, that's really how it's supposed to sound - no stereo dynamic at all!

Michael Michael
09-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Top 5, no order:

Venus
Choirgirl
Pink
Pele
Scarlet

Honourable mention to Strange Little Girls.

Worst:

I almost almost want to say The Beekeeper, because that truly was Tori's "feet of clay" moment. I listened to it all the way through for the first time in a long time not that long ago, and, if anything, it was worse than I remembered. I'd keep Parasol, the title track, Toast . . . and that's probably it.

But I really have to give "worst/least favourite" to one of the albums I was so unimpressed by after first listen that I didn't even bother to purchase them. Those would be AAtS, MWG, Night of Hunters (yes), and Gold Dust. Of those four, I suppose it must be Abnormally Attracted to Sin. But really, I have no time for any of them.

God, what a happy surprise Unrepentant Geraldines turned out to be.

Nick
09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Top 5 is only tough because there's Choirgirl and then 5 other albums essentially in a tie right behind it, so which one gets kicked off really just depends on the day. In this case, Venus gets the boot.

Choirgirl
Pele
Pink
LE
Scarlet

AAtS and ADP are both unlistenable, but at least I was able to convince myself I enjoyed parts of ADP right after it came out. AAtS didn't even give me anything to pretend with. I remember getting more and more nervous on my first listen because I kept hoping that maybe the next track would hit me in any remotely positive way - but it never happened. I was actually briefly optimistic that it was possibly a "grower" (having liked ADP at first but then realized they were empty calories), but I'm still waiting for anything to grow besides my disdain...

John's Face
09-25-2014, 11:19 PM
BFP
TVAB
Choirgirl
SW
NOH (It's not perfect, but when it's right, it's really right. Also I think Star Whisperer might be my all time favorite.)

AATS
When this came out I was so in love with it, and I thought it was finally real Tori returning. I listen to it now, and I seriously don't know what I was thinking. It's got some great songs, but most of it is truly awful. I think it was sonically ambitious/experimental in some ways, but in many cases the experiment failed.

neptunerune
09-26-2014, 01:43 AM
Pele
Pink
Choirgirl
Scarlet
Geraldines

Even if I'm absolutely in love with the 1st five albums for an easy top5, I made sure I'll include UG because it's become so dear to me just like when I first heard BFP, FTCGH and SW. It's also not perfect but it more than makes up for the disasters after SW.

Least Favorite: AATS - There's really something about AATS that makes it feel like the worst, even the album art for it makes me feel uneasy. It has its moments, songwriting and production-wise but it feels...I dunno. Dry? Flat? Soulless? Suffocating? This is evident esp. when my player is on shuffle and an AATS song plays right after anything from LE-SW and UG. ADP still has a bit of a pulse and has a fun element to it compared to AATS despite its tin can sound.

Honorable mention for least favorite: MWG - I honestly thought this was the end of her voice.

Venus_Envy
09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
From The Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk
To Venus And Back
Boys for Pele
The Beekeeper (today. This one always move up and down the list, usually depending on the time of year).

Abnormally Attracted To Sin.

AshaBlack
09-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Top 5

FTCGH
UTP
TVAB
BFP
LE

Least: I can't pick out of MWG and NOH. AATS didn't excite me either. I clump those three albums together as I don't listen to either of them.

Simon
09-26-2014, 01:32 PM
+
BFP
FTCGH
UTP
SW
UG ( for now, but it'll probably change )

-
ADP

blissgurl
09-27-2014, 10:57 PM
My top 5 constantly shifts around according to my mood and what is going on in my life, but for now it is:

UtP
SW
FtCGH
BFP
LE

UG is wonderful and some days it probably fits in there somewhere.

Least favorite is AATS.

Pele-Boy18
10-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Boys For Pele
Under The Pink
American Doll Posse
Unrepentant G
The Beekeeper

Worst
Scarlet

JamieC
10-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Worst
Scarlet

Does. not. compute.

jacob's room
10-03-2014, 05:35 AM
So at the second NYC show this year I was talking to the guy next to me after the show and he said he hated Scarlet, loved The Beekeeper, and was disappointed by the fact that she had played TWO Scarlet songs and ONE Beekeeper song hahahaha *cries*

"I guess her performance of [the song] Scarlet's Walk was ok..."

I nearly died.

hey j.
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Boys For Pele
Under The Pink
American Doll Posse
Unrepentant G
The Beekeeper

Worst
Scarlet

Well this is a contentious list! Different strokes I guess... :)

Octopussy
10-03-2014, 02:22 PM
So at the second NYC show this year I was talking to the guy next to me after the show and he said he hated Scarlet, loved The Beekeeper, and was disappointed by the fact that she had played TWO Scarlet songs and ONE Beekeeper song hahahaha *cries*

"I guess her performance of [the song] Scarlet's Walk was ok..."

I nearly died.

My ex worked with a Tori fan whose favorite albums were Boys for Pele and The Beekeeper.

Zell
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Top 5
Scarlet's Walk
FtCH
TVAB
SLG
BFP

Least
Gold Dust (a total redundant one to me)

space dog
10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
1. Little Earthquakes
2. Under The Pink
3. Boys For Pele
4. From The Choir Girl Hotel
5. Night of Hunters (Boy's for Pele's twin from another generation, maybe even a retelling after 100 years have passed)

Least: unrepentant G - This album makes me sad because I have no emotional connection to it. I feel like it is a return to her true form on one hand, but now that we are both being honest we no longer have a connection. Weather Man may be the only exception.

.chris
10-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I wasn't blown away by SW...But ASF was clearly something special that night. It almost sounded like if 90s Tori recorded it.

dAmION
10-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Surprising that Venus hasn't shown up in many people's top 5s.

Yo Jupiter
10-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Venus is slowly climbing towards my top 5 actually. I don't know, I've been kinda left cold when listening to it before, but this year I'm completely absorbed by it. I even adore the less liked songs such as 80's and Oceans.

Cunter Fartlett
10-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Venus is sort of an oddity in her catalogue. It's sort of like the middle child. It gets lost in the shuffle for me, but not because it's a bad album. I think it's technically proficient, edgy, short and cohesive, has some of the best songs in her catalogue and I think it's very under rated. It just sort of gets lost in between what is several really genius records and several really bad ones.

Owen
10-04-2014, 03:24 AM
Boys For Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk
Under the Pink
Little Earthquakes

Gold Dust and AATS

Pele-Boy18
10-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Well this is a contentious list! Different strokes I guess... :)

For me I look at what albums I visit most often and how they make me feel now. BFP is when I first discovered T in 97' and that will always remain my favorite. The others I grew with in one way or another.

Scarlet was a particularly bad patch in my life and the music did not translate to me then. It also doesn't translate to me now in anyway.

UG was the most surprised I have been by a Tori album since Choirgirl. And for that she will always be a favorite!

Peeping Tommi
10-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Top 5 in no particular order:
'Boys For Pele'
'Scarlet's Walk'
'From The Choirgirl Hotel'
'To Venus And Back'
'Under The Pink'

My least favorite:
'Abnormally Attracted To Sin'

MikeEP
10-16-2014, 06:29 PM
top 5 no particular order:
Under the Pink
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and Back
Scarlet's Walk

least favorite:
Abnormally Attracted to Sin (i will say there are a couple tracks i like on this but everything about this era was just...NO. even though i never listen to Night of Hunters it's at least far less embarrassing than this album)

littleBluBoy
10-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Top 5:

Under the Pink
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Boys for Pele
To Venus and Back
Unrepentant Geraldines (I'm kicking Little Earthquakes from 5th spot because UG deserves it....UG is my favourite since TVAB)

Worst:
The Beekeeper - sign of the times :( ...ADP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TBK....with UG anything can turnaround :)

Chosen
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Top 5, in chronological order:
Under the Pink
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and Back
Scarlet's Walk

Worst:
Abnormalleeeeeeeee

crustacea
11-03-2014, 03:24 AM
1. Scarlet's Walk
2. Boys For Pele
3. Unrepentant Geraldines
4. Night Of Hunters
5. From The Choirgirl Hotel

least favorite: Attracted to Abnormal Sin

endlesswant
11-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Under The Pink ....................... every note and breath is perfect
From The Choirgirl Hotel............. messy, tragic, i love it.
Unrepentant Geraldines............... this has a home-made feel that I love hearing in a lot of Toris earlier albums. she goes into left field on a couple songs but i love them too
Scarlets Walk .........................at the time it came out this album fit in perfectly with the goings on in my life personally
Boys for Pele .........................something very baroque sounding about the album that I love.

least fave

dātura
11-05-2014, 10:42 PM
1. To Venus and Back
2. From The Choirgirl Hotel
3. Boys for Pele
4. Under the Pink
5. Strange Little Girls/Unrepentant Geraldines

Least favorite - In terms of a whole "package", Abnormally Attracted to Sin. Outside of Flavor it doesn't do much at all for me - I mean, I liked it when I was first getting into Tori earlier this year, but then I listened to everything else! ;l

Strictly from a production standpoint, I'll throw American Doll Posse in there too - I enjoy a lot from that album (especially Bouncing Off Clouds, which is my second-most played Tori song on last.fm) but the mastering just squashes every song flat and it nags at me.

MrQuin
11-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Boys For Pele
Under The Pink
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus And Back
Scarlet's Walk

Least favourite: The Beekeeper. Also UG was a bit of a mixed bag with some flat, demo-ish production.

snowgayngel
11-15-2014, 06:30 AM
1. Little Earthquakes
2. Scarlet's Walk
3. Boys for Pele
4. Under the Pink
5. From the Choirgirl Hotel/AATS (someone has to like it)

Least favorite: American Doll Posse

justin
11-23-2014, 02:37 AM
1. under the pink
2/3. from the choirgirl hotel/boys for pele (sophie's choice)
4. little earthquakes
5. scarlet's walk

least: midwinter graces

Vine Erised
11-24-2014, 08:26 PM
1. From the Choirgirl Hotel
2. Under the Pink
3. Little Earthquakes
4. Boys for Pele
5. Scarlet's Walk

Least favorite: Midwinter Graces

wout
11-24-2014, 09:35 PM
1) Choirgirl. While not my most played album anymore, I do think this was Tori at her absolute songwriting peak.
2) Under the Pink. Classic and probably the most 'typical Tori Amos' album in terms of theme and sound.
3) Venus. God damn that album is sexy. And it has Sugar Plugged which is pretty much the best Tori Amos song.
4) Boys for Pele. Even though I still think it could've done without a few tracks, this is a unique piece of art.
5) Unrepentant Geraldines. IKNOWRIGHT? This kicked out Scarlet. Blame Selkie, Weatherman and Wedding Day. Best Piano tunes since BfP.

Least favorite: Gold Dust
A crime in how much of a missed opportunity this was. She basically took songs that already had very similar orchestra arrangements and just re-recorded them with crappier vocals.
I think she had way too much to do at that time so she couldn't be more adventurous. I'd have loved full on arrangements for more daring tracks like Juarez, Waitress, Spark, Siren or buffing up piano-focuses songs like Upside Down, Never Seen Blue, Sister Janet.

Luc
11-25-2014, 11:53 AM
First of all,hi :)

1-Under the Pink (This is the definitive Tori Amos record for me.)
2-Scarlet's Walk
3-From the Choirgirl Hotel
4-Boys For Pele
5-Strange Little Girls

I listen Venus and Earthquakes on a regular basis too and rank them with top 5.I love Beekeeper and Geraldines too,i just find several flaws with them so they are not there.Posse,Sin and Night of Hunters have several good songs but i have major issues with couple songs.
Gold Dust and TOAL are abysmal as showcasing her back catologue/singles.

And that leaves Midwinter Graces.I just can't stand this one bar 3 or 4 songs.Full on baby voice and cheese.

Littlegreen
11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
1. Under The Pink
2. From The Choirgirl Hotel
3. Boys For Pele
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Strange Little Girls / Unrepentant Geraldines

x - Midwinter Graces

Spikey
11-26-2014, 12:23 AM
1. from the choirgirl hotel
2. Boys for Pele
3. Venus
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. Under the Pink

x. Midwinter Graces, & NOH

skyscape
01-09-2015, 10:34 PM
1. Under the Pink
3. Scarlet's Walk
4. Boys for Pele
5. Little Earthquakes

Least favourite: Unrepentant Geraldines

Sansa Spark
01-09-2015, 11:42 PM
1. Boys for Pele
2. Under the Pink // 3. From the Choirgirl Hotel
4. To Venus and Back
5. Little Earthquakes

0. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

ETA: Just remembered I'd done this before. Nothing changed. Oops.

bkork
01-10-2015, 02:26 PM
1. Boys for Pele
2. Strange Little Girls
3. Little Earthquakes
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. Under the Pink

X. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Meowth
01-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Boys for Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
To Venus and Back

Midwinter Graces

JamieC
01-11-2015, 01:22 PM
1= Boys for Pele/Scarlet's Walk
4. Under the Pink
5. Unrepentant Geraldines

X. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Red Baron
01-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Boys For Pele
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus And Back
Scarlet's Walk
Little Earthquakes

(in no particular order, except for BfP which is always on top)

x. Abnormally Attracted To Sin

Irene
01-13-2015, 04:28 AM
1. Boys for Pele
3. Under the Pink
4. Scarlet's Walk
5. To Venus and Back

x. American Doll Posse/Abnormally Attracted

Venus_Envy
02-16-2015, 10:29 AM
My top 5 change all the time. Pele used to be in my top 3, butthe way I'm feeling at the moment, I'm just not in a Pele kind of place. No doubt it will shoot right back up there at some point, but today, this is my top 5.

From The Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk
To Venus & Back
Little Earthquakes
The Beekeeper (I know, shoot me!)

My least favourite is hands down AATS. Midwinter Graces and Gold Dust don't exist in my head.

Octopussy
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
I've actually been digging The Beekeeper recently as well. I had a lot of weed, and for some weird reason it is the best Tori album for that. Ireland is only listenable if you're getting high on a sunny afternoon. Sweet the Sting and Witness, I enjoy quite a bit as well. And of course the good songs are even better -- Mother and Marys really spoke to me this week.

Peeping Tommi
02-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Favorites
Under The Pink
Boys For Pele
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus And Back
Scarlet's Walk

Least favorite

betterthanfine
02-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Yespleasethankyouplease:

1a. From The Choirgirl Hotel
1b. Under The Pink
3. To Venus and Back
4. Boys For Pele
5. Scarlet's Walk

Choirgirl and Pink are forever number one. I cannot choose between the two. Special mention goes to Little Earthquakes. Every single song is a classic. However, I don't enjoy it as an album as much as I do the others.

Uhhhh no:

Abnormally Attracted to Ass

I would save Starling and Fast Horse from a fire. And perhaps Welcome To England. The rest can burn.

Soda
02-20-2015, 04:43 AM
Top 5:

Little Earthquakes
Under The Pink
Boys For Pele
From The Choirgirl Hotel
Scarlet's Walk

ALMOST read like a discography for a second there! I couldn't honestly pit these albums against each other as there's not really a point, they all do the same things for me at this point. They're all quintessential Tori albums that have done a ton for me. Venus is amazing too and it's in the same league for me as the rest, I just don't associate it as much with a full experience or memory as I do with the rest of these albums.

Least: AATS. Not even typing it out. The only competition could possibly be GD and MWG. I have to admit I've never even listened to Gold Dust which I guess is kinda bad? Please don't revoke my fan card, a stern spanking will do just fine. ;) After hearing to Flavor I just had a feeling that it wasn't necessary for me to listen to it. The reception here just solidified that feeling. Midwinter Graces can be pretty bad but it has some genuinely good songs, as cheesy as Our New Year is I LOVE it. It's also a holiday album so I don't quite hold it to the same standard I hold AATS. That's just unforgivable to hold up next to those albums listed up there.

Octopussy
02-20-2015, 03:36 PM
^ Flavor is one of the only things worth hearing on Gold Dust, and it's not even that good. Sloppy mixing ruined the only other song that might be a keeper, Cloud on My Tongue, so I don't even bother with that one. The NPR and PBS shows get more plays from me.

betterthanfine
02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
^Agreed on account of Flavor, but Snow Cherries with the orchestra is one of the best things she's done since SW, as far as I'm concerned. Also, PT and SATY were interesting. The rest of the album I could really live without.

Puddles
02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
MOST:

1 Under the Pink
2 From the Choirgirl Hotel
3 Boys for Pele
4 Little Earthquakes
5 Scarlet's Walk

LEAST:

The Beekeeper

I'm not very familiar with her work after 2005, so my "least favourite" choice kind of lacks validity... but I just love making lists! I could have gone with TVAB instead of SW because it's tighter and not as drawn out, but I like more songs overall on SW.

GirlForPele
02-22-2015, 10:26 PM
1) Boys for Pele
2) From the Choirgirl Hotel
3) Little Earthquakes
4) Under The Pink
5) To Venus and Back

Least:
The Beekeeper
I was so hype for this album to come out, and it was a huge disappointment. :( Awful record.

Yo Jupiter
03-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Are we including Gold Dust and SLG? There's no new and/or original material there, so I'm not gonna include them

Anyway:
1. Scarlet's Walk
3. The Beekeeper
4. Little Earthquakes
5. Abnormally Attracted to Sin

Least fave:
Midwinter Graces

a little change in my top 5 atm

1. Scarlet
2. Beekeeper
3. Venus