PDA

View Full Version : Setlist and Reviews for Sydney, Australia 20/11/2014 (3rd show solo)

Rabih
10-29-2014, 10:11 AM
This topic is solely dedicated to the setlist and freakout for the third Tori show in Sydney, Australia, taking place at the City Recital Hall Angel Place. Unlike the two first shows in Sydney, this is announced as an all-request intimate solo show and you can choose your songs on toriamos.com (http://toriamos.com/requests/).

Setlist

1. Bliss
2. Caught a Lite Sneeze
3. Putting the Damage on
4. The power of Orange Knickers
5. Sleeps with Butterflies
6. Northern Lad
7. A Sorta Fairytale
8. Ruby through the Looking Glass
9. Dixie

Lizard Lounge
10. Superstar (Carpenters Cover) / Halo (Beyonce Cover)
11. Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield Cover)

12. She's Your Cocaine
13. Cooling
14. Yo George
15. Dark Side of the sun

Encore
16. Fire on the side
17. Fire to your plain
18. Cornflake Girl
19. Raspberry Swirl

Official Setlist

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p600x600/10805575_10152540092714091_8957795577130991296_n.jpg?oh=d357e87b0b463133cdb9ea7fabc996f7&oe=55165ABC

City Selfie

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/1452425_10152540091574091_4019474646102470780_n.jpg?oh=7fb23e2101d025640ae4b6f71a552163&oe=55143177

Videos

Jessie's Girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdVaSyjKtk&feature=youtu.be

Audio

warmgun
11-20-2014, 10:14 AM
1. Bliss
2. Caught a Lite Sneeze
3. Putting the damage on
4. The power of Orange Knickers
5. Sleeps with butterflies
6. Northern lad
7. A sorta fairytale
8. Ruby through the Looking Glass
9. Dixie

LL
10. It's Superstar (carpenters) / Halo (beyonce)
11. Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield)

12. She's Your Cocaine
13. Cooling
14. Yo George
15. Dark Side of the sun
16. Fire on the side
17. Fire to your plain
18. Cornflake Girl

19. Raspberry Swirl

Yo Jupiter
11-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Sleeps With Butterflies? :eek: Dixie? :eek: DSOTS, FTYP????? Is this setlist real? I'm so excited for the recordings from thissss

lovecraft
11-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Isabel is that you i hear?

waitressboy
11-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Seriously? Did somebody ask for "Yo George"?

DrAndy
11-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Sleeps With Butterflies? :eek: Dixie? :eek: DSOTS, FTYP????? Is this setlist real? I'm so excited for the recordings from thissss

After about 14 shows in the Uk and 2 in sydney (this is 2nd, saw 1st orchestra show) i'm calling this my best show ever! So i didnt get my choices which i didn't request (pgy, mmf, shattering sea) i got so many amazing songs. Northern lad had some amazing vocals. Slaying! Ruby through the looking glass was another highlight. Tori received a number of ovations, a couple early on then a succession during lizard lounge which she seemed genuinely thrilled at. The carpenter's superstar was superb. Her voice really suits it. Jessie's girl really got the audience going esp when she started singing about Mindy's girl and how she wanted some girl on girl action. Great crowd tonight, really respectful and quiet but enthusiastic too which tori fed off. Tori was on fire after two standing ovations in a row during lizard lounge and gave a really confident She's your cocaine. Lots of playful stroking of her body and bum in particular. Sleeps with butterflies had a gorgeous ethereal musical intro. Yo George was unexpected (and i half expected her to shout Yo Tony). This led into dark side of the sun...half poignant half clunky. Great vocals though. The encore was great. After recognizing world transgender day ("i know you guys all know but it is World Transgender day today)...she launched into a gorgeous fire on your side. She then made fire to your plain good. Really jazzy and sleepy. Sure this was the one where she made reference to English boy and to tash. After two fires the crowd went wild to cornflake girl where i was chuffed tori did the rasberry noise! The party continued with rasberry swirl. Tori was loving it!!!! Her tongue poked out a few times. A sight to behold. Great night, great gig with a few double whammy punches from single albums. Did i say it was a great gig?

DrAndy
11-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Eek Forest of glass cut. Oh well! Sometimes it be that way.

Venus_Envy
11-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Just want to shout this out now before anybody starts bashing it....

I love love LOVE "Sleeps With Butterflies". It's such a sweet little song and it doesn't get enough love. I'm so glad she dusted it off.

Is it just me, or is this tour a lot like a MUCH better version of what T was trying to do with the 2005 tour?

Yo Jupiter
11-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I know everyone is gonna hate on SWB, DSOTS, FTYP and Yo George, which is understandable, but I'm just excited to hear something different from the usual sets (which are great ofc). I'm esp. curious about DSOTS without the band. I believe it has a lot of potential to be great solo and with her 2014 vocals, but it all depends on how she handles the chorus. Did she do the 'suwouwouwouwn' growling in the end?

Regina Phalange
11-20-2014, 11:45 AM
This set is.... interesting.

.chris
11-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Has she ever played She's Your Cocaine solo before?

waitressboy
11-20-2014, 12:31 PM
I requested Sleeps With Butterflies. I did.
But seriously, "Yo George"? You have twenty years of music, and you ask for "Yo George"? Sometimes I just don't understand people.

I was sure she was going to do Heart Attack At 23.

Johnothon
11-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Guys, the show's up at Dime (http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=511044) al-fucking-ready!

Cunter Fartlett
11-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I requested Sleeps With Butterflies. I did.
But seriously, "Yo George"? You have twenty years of music, and you ask for "Yo George"? Sometimes I just don't understand people.

I was sure she was going to do Heart Attack At 23.

Nothing personal, but if you requested Sleeps with Butterflies, I don't think you have any room to complain about Yo George. ;l

This would be my nightmare set list as well. I'm morbidly interested, though.

Faust
11-20-2014, 01:14 PM
;l ;l ;l It's like someone pulled a nightmare setlist from my brain and had her play it. WHAT THE FUCK. WHO REQUESTED YO GEORGE? AND SWB? ;l omg.

;l oh man, I know. I thought of you when I woke up and saw this set.

Yo Jupiter
11-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Sleeps With Butterflies and Yo George are not to be compared tbh. I don't dislike Yo George but seriously, requesting a short irrelevant interlude over ANY other song is beyond me ;l I get requesting SWB, I hated it but find it very pretty and sweet now, a little anomaly in her catalogue even. And I'm sure she did it justice this time, without the bland production.

I remember requesting Goodbye Pisces and Welcome to England, shame she didn't do those :(

grapefruit_is_winning
11-20-2014, 01:28 PM
You know... after a long tour where she has so clearly been focusing on deep fan favorites, b-sides, and not relied heavily on songs like TIYH, Leather, STS, Concertina, the songs she can totally phone in, it seems she took this chance to go down a totally different road. I respect that. Lots of clunkers for me personally, but for the record, I would rather hear SWB solo piano a million times before ever hearing Ribbons again (she likes to play Ribbons in Seattle for some reason).

Very curious what She's Your Cocaine sounded like.

Waylon
11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Guys. She finally played Dixie!

lovecraft
11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I did request She is Your Cocaine along with New Age.It would have been awesome if she did that.

On a different note i have no problems whatsoever with her playing lesser songs for one.I prefer these over covering a random song every night.

waitressboy
11-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Like Orange Knickers, i think Sleeps With Butterflies is a really nice song when it's played solo.
For instance:

http://youtu.be/rvbnSpznd0M
With the voice of this tour, I expect a really good version.

Yo Jupiter
11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Guys. She finally played Dixie!

Lol me too surprised about stuff like Yo George and Butterflies that I totally ignored my favourite song from the UG era, and one of my top 10 Tori songs for sure. I'm so so so looking forward to it.

Btw is it kind of strange that there are still songs off UG that she didn't do even once? Did she ever do that with previous albums?

roominmyheart
11-20-2014, 02:37 PM
It looks like from pics she also wore jeans!

Littlegreen
11-20-2014, 02:52 PM
She played one of my requests!

'Fire To Your Plain'!!!!

(Ahhh I see it's on Dime again [cry])

silver
11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Dixie!

Dan
11-20-2014, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdVaSyjKtk

Jessie's Girl/She's Your Cocaine - unfortunately no bridge on the latter, but she sounds fantastic.

Bruce
11-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Dixie was one of my requests, I'm thrilled she played it. I love that Forest of Glass has gotten so much love this tour as it's a fantastic track, but Dixie just slays me every time and deserved at least one live performance.

Cunter Fartlett
11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Sheesh, she looks so amazing without those gaudy gowns. More of this please!

Tonic
11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
That anyone could request Yo George is yet more proof that we live in bizarro world.

I would have loved to hear a solo version of Welcome to England, Code Red as well.

And YESSSSSS to jeans.

sparkhotel
11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Love the jeans!!!!

snowgayngel
11-21-2014, 01:24 AM
I really want to hear the Dark Side of the Sun performance. More so than anything else she did, to be honest

grapefruit_is_winning
11-21-2014, 02:17 AM
I can't believe she's wearing jeans! Maybe that was also a request?

Ha :)

urban spell
11-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Still trying to wrap my head around the randomness of this set list.... I almost threw up in my mouth when I heard Yo George - I mean, what a waste of a slot where another awesome song could have been!?? And sleeps with fuckerflies? I wish that song never existed - but clearly I'm in the minority on that judging from it's appearance last night! But I'm over all that now (hehe!) And I did really enjoy the show! Cocaine was rockin! And the Encore was loads a fun as we all bopped away down the front! I actually really enjoyed TPOOK too for the first time ever, so that was a pleasant surprise...although hearing it did make me anxious that more of *that* album would be forthcoming... She was having heaps of fun, and it was quite an intimate vibe and all the crowd were really vocal and loving it. I too got so excited to see her in jeans, always a good sign in my books :-) She said something along the lines of (totally paraphrasing here, but you get the drift ) "Now this shows gonna be a little bit different than a usual one, so just stay with me 'till then end! You guys had so many great ideas, so if you haven't heard your favourite, it might still be coming!" And then she said something about how she will play the rest of the requests in Brisbane - so I'm very interested to see what comes out tonight! It was a really awesome and unexpected show :-) So strange to not hear Leather or SATY at a Tori Show though!

lovecraft
11-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Are there any recordings of Cocaine? I'm dying to hear that.

stuper venus
11-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Are there any recordings of Cocaine? I'm dying to hear that.

It's at the end of the Jessie's Girl video that was posted on page 2. I only figured that out because I clicked on the video to see the jeans.

antisaint
11-22-2014, 06:11 AM
It's at the end of the Jessie's Girl video that was posted on page 2. I only figured that out because I clicked on the video to see the jeans.

The video appears to have had SYC removed from it, it's only 3:30 in length now...?

lovecraft
11-22-2014, 06:42 AM
oh i did not play that video because of its name and it is a shame that now its gone .But thanks anyways :)

Yo Jupiter
11-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Ugh the most interesting and weird setlist on this tour and no recordings of itttt ;l

Daisy's Dead
11-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Ugh the most interesting and weird setlist on this tour and no recordings of itttt ;l

I've got the whole concert as a voice memo on my phone if we get desperate, but it'll all turn up.

Johnothon
11-22-2014, 08:50 AM
The whole show was posted on Dime about an hour after it finished!

4horseengine
11-22-2014, 02:29 PM
"Sleeps With Butterflies" was really touching, loved the intro

Yo Jupiter
11-22-2014, 03:22 PM
In case someone hasn't yet seen:

Fire on the Side / Fire to Your Plain

http://youtu.be/wCg2odLokcg

+ this user put all songs on his channel, I'm too lazy to c/p every link here, but anyway it's all thereee, many thanks to Agapolish whoever they might be

Yo Jupiter
11-22-2014, 03:45 PM
My verdict for all the surprising choices:

SWB - gorgeous, idc what you say
FTYP - boring as hell. I wanted more tbh, I know the song isn't really a fun song in general, but I always liked the live solo versions she did at radio shows and whatnot
Dixie - beautiful, not too much to say, like the studio version. I'm glad she did it
George - also not much different from the studio version, I liked it
DSOTS - great version, definitely triumphs over both the studio and the 2007 live ones. the piano is really good and her voice is great and in shape, even on the sowuowuowun parts!

JamieC
11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Dixie is really beautiful. Sadder than the studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vra4rGcZPKQ&feature=youtu.be

Bloody Grace
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
I actually think SWB is very boring and DSOTS horrid :P But I loved FTYP, Dixie and Yo George!

Dan
11-22-2014, 06:12 PM
That Fire on the Side is perfect, probably the definitive version.

Kala
11-22-2014, 08:13 PM
[lurk]

I had no idea Tori wrote a song called "Dixie."

halo eighteen
11-22-2014, 08:38 PM
[lurk]

I had no idea Tori wrote a song called "Dixie."

Dixie, Forest of Glass, and White Telephone to God were the 3 "bonus" tracks from Unrepentant Geraldines, so it's pretty recent lol. I think Dixie was the Amazon bonus track maybe?

Yo Jupiter
11-22-2014, 09:16 PM
I find Dixie so much more Christmassy, wintery and beautiful than MG. Love listening to it these days just walking through town and passing by stores. Beautiful beautiful song.

howieD
11-23-2014, 01:51 AM
It's like someone pulled a nightmare setlist from my brain and had her play it. WHAT THE FUCK. WHO REQUESTED YO GEORGE? AND SWB? ;l omg.

Through the first half of the show, I was thinking some pretty big WTFs at the selections, but found the show something of an exercise in not only appreciating tracks I don't favour/dislike, but actively kicking myself for not listening to more. So many of these performances felt absolutely definitive. I think this is the best gig I've seen her play.

That Fire on the Side is perfect, probably the definitive version.

I had told Tori at the M&G last week that the request show fell on Transgender Day of Remembrance (http://tdor.info/about-2/) - she asked if there was a song request attached; I declined, and asked if she might keep it mind in whatever way she felt appropriate. T later confirmed that she played the entire show through this prism, even making a point of speaking to the significance of the day when she returned to the stage for encore, asking us to remember to look after our family.

kiss goodbye
go back to your separate life
but i still can hope
you will see
i’m your home.

2097 2098 2099

howieD
11-24-2014, 09:42 PM
T later confirmed that she played the entire show through this prism, even making a point of speaking to the significance of the day when she returned to the stage for encore, asking us to remember to look after our family.

When we asked about this supervampy cover/tribute, Mindi got all coy, exclaiming 'She didn't play it like that at soundcheck!'
So cute. [vibes]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdVaSyjKtk

And a Bette Midler (love you Karen, but this song belongs to the Divine) / RuPaul / Beyonce mashup, for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnOpNbsBhI

dAmION
11-25-2014, 12:43 AM
When we asked about this supervampy cover/tribute, Mindi got all coy, exclaiming 'She didn't play it like that at soundcheck!'
So cute. [vibes]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdVaSyjKtk

Hah, how AMAZING was THAT!