PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you won the lottery?

Lathan
06-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Let's say you get 10 million after taxes.

What's the first thing you'd do? And/or the best? Or the biggest?

I would quit my job and take a lower paying (but hopefully more satisfying) job in theater. I do a bit traveling. Buy an apartment. Pay off my parent's house. Charity stuff, blah blah blah.

You?

JayPeaches
06-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Quit my job, buy a vacation home in Germany, and travel like crazy for several months. Then, come home and get my PhD and work as a professor. Or figure out how to live off the interest of my remaining millions!

Lathan
06-25-2010, 02:19 AM
I should also add that I would buy a tuxedo and wear it everywhere. Bowling alley, grocery store, the beach. I'd be that guy.

SageBrushFire
06-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Write Sallie Mae a $78,000 check and put "To go fuck yourself" in the memo line.

Then I'd give $150,000 to each of my immediate family and $50,000 to my closest friends just for the hell of it.

After that I'd just live life normally but not worry about bills etc. I'd still work and I'd have a large but not ridiculous house.

Damien
06-25-2010, 02:56 AM
I would have abundant money for school and future dental school, pay off family houses, buy my first car (electric!), big time investing.

Regina Phalange
06-25-2010, 03:33 AM
I would hire a reputable financial planner to help me figure out the best way to cash my ticket in and to set up my payment(s) in such a way that I couldn't blow through it quickly and that I would be set for life at at least a modest level.

And I would need a bunch up front to go wild with, despite my wanting to save for the future. I hate where I'm living. So I'd just go move into a hotel while I figured out where I wanted to really live (build a house, buy a house, buy a condo, where, etc.) I hate my car, so I'd lease a new one until I figured out what would be a good one to buy.

I would get laser eye surgery. I would get some cosmetic dentistry (whitening or caps). I would a shitload of electrolysis or laser hair removal so I'd never have to shave my legs again or pluck away annoying hairs that pop up in places where they shouldn't.

I don't know how I would do it (rv? flying? limo?), but I would follow the next Tori tour for a while.

I never get myself anything nice, so I would totally splurge. New wardrobe. New electronics (fancy phone, tv, wii, blu ray, computerS, fastest internet connection possible). Massage. Facial. mani/pedi. Spa day.

There are some classes I'd like to take, so I think i would do that after a little bit.

Some of my friends would get a "loan" or something. My family would be trickier, as the people who would need it and take it would be the people who would lose it in 10 minutes. I'd do something, but I'd have to utilize my financial planner on that one.

There are a few charities that would get a bucket load of money anonymously.

I would love to start an extensive, thorough, complete tori fan site. Hire programmers, collect info, and make it just THE source for info.

Oh, and I would hire Tori to do a private show. And I'd pay her extra if I had to so she played what I wanted and brought the dang harpsichord and left teh rhodes at home. Maybe I'd rent out a small theater and have a fan contest: write an essay telling me why you should come to MY show. Oh, the POWER!

i'd like to say I'd travel, but if I had my dream home with all kinda of good stuff in it, I might never leave! (except for my private tori show, that is!)

FaerieDreamer
06-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Pay off all debts.

I would give my inlaws the "gift" of a house so they could get out of mine.

Then I'd buy this house and remodel the kitchen and basement.

I'd quit my job and go back to school full time.

Buy my parents a house, and set up scholarship funds for my kids and my nieces and nephews, with the stipulation that the money must be used for college only.

Travel a bit, invest and live without worrying.

Ryan
06-25-2010, 04:03 AM
It's fun to dream, yeah? Every week my cousin and I buy a ticket when we get together for dinner and then talk about what we'd do with the money while we're cooking.

I would pay off all my parents' and grandparents' debts, then pay off my car and house. I would pay off all the equipment and truck loans at my dad's company so that they could work without worrying about their huge monthly loan payments, find them a good office manager to replace me, and then I would travel.

I don't have a need for a bigger house or a nicer car. I've often thought about buying a place closer to my parents, back in the country, and just gifting my house here to a family who could use it. There are a lot of people here who've lost their homes. :(

A few years ago, the county sold our old rural elementary school building to our town's VIA. The building is over 100 years old and all of my family went to school there, starting with my grandma. It's also been at the heart of our little town for a long, long time. The VIA has been fundraising to try and pay off the loan so I'd definitely help them with that if I had the money.

empresskara
06-25-2010, 06:44 AM
This is a fun game I play all the time.

I'd pay off all our debts, fix up this house and then probably rent it out. Buy a modest but bigger house to live in for a LONG time. Buy a boat. Pay off my parents house so they could do what they wanted with their retirement. Set up college funds for my youngest sisters so they wouldn't have to worry about college. Give a nice gift of cash to my brother who is getting married this summer. Set up something for my niece. My oldest sister would get enough money to finally fix her house up and maybe get her out of it and into a bigger one or to move somewhere if they want to (they've been throwing that around). I would look for a duplex house for my in-laws/sister-in-law so they could still live close but have their own space plus not have to pay rent anymore and set up a maintenance/taxes fund for that. The rest I'd invest, give out small loans to friends maybe, and do some charity work with. I would probably not worry about work anymore and just do charity stuff. My husband would probably keep his job on the fire department as he loves that so much.

Canodiva1
06-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Pay off all my debt and all of my partner's debts. With $10 million, we'd both quit our full time jobs to finish school. I'd keep my teaching and performing gigs, and probably add a few more freelance design or teaching jobs, since each one is pretty part time.

Buy a new house. Nothing huge, but something decent in a nice neighborhood, and 2 newer cars since both of ours are old. I'd want to pay off everything for my dad and step-mom, and start college funds for all 9 of our nieces and nephews. I'd probably demo the house we live in now, and just donate the land to the neighborhood for a garden.

There are a few charities that would get some fat donations too.

fox in socks
06-25-2010, 11:04 AM
buy amazing chocolates dessert from france, get massive and get liposuction. repeat.

secretsekertary
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Fun topic! I love how generous and level-headed you all are!

not you, foxy. ;)

Lágnætti
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
$10 million? Isn't that like 46?

OK, let's pretend I won the UK lottery jackpot which unless it's a rollover week, is usually around the 4 million mark.

Firstly, I'd quit work that minute and manage my money so that I had a decent yearly income and never, ever had to work for any kind of corporation again in my life on principle.

I'd buy a nice, but modestly-sized house in a nice area. Right now, for me that means semi-rural. Nothing too big, a couple of bedrooms would do. Nothing flash, something with age and character. I'd like a place with a garden that I could develop into a real wildlife haven. I'd plant more native trees and plants and if not already present, make a natural pond for frogs and newts to move into and to attract birds, no goldfish or anything non-native. I'd throw in some statuary, maybe get an artist to sculpt/build me some interesting stuff, make it a nice place to sit out in.

I'd give my parents, my aunt and nephew lump sums to spend on what they wish, whether it be debt-repayment, needed purchases (my mum would love a car with power steering, reckon I'd buy her one outright) or whatever.

I'd donate to the charities I already support but in larger amounts.

I'd do more travel, that's for sure. Nancy and Heather would be getting home visits, that's for sure.

I'd buy more art. I like buying small original pieces and supporting artists. With more disposable income, I'd be able to be a bit more of a collector. I'd also invest in some serious - built for a lifetime pieces of furniture, instead of effing Ikea type shit that falls apart in a couple of years.

I'd make more art, too. Buy some better camera quipment, spend more time on that hobby. Maybe get myself an old-fashioned darkroom going. I don't know. I would love the time and resources to develop mixed-media work again.

Kari
06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd quit my job. NUMERO UNO.

My husband and I would upgrade to a modest, but slightly bigger apartment in a slightly better part of our neighborhood. $10M after taxes in NYC is a lot of money, but it's not like I could go buckwild and get some crazy ass apartment because there are 2 BR apts that cost that much in Manhattan. ;l

I'd probably upgrade my mom to a nicer condo (if she wanted to move, she likes her place). I'd make sure my her bills were taken care of so she could heal and not have to worry. I'd pay for my brother to finish college wherever he wanted to go.

I'd donate a fair chunk to charity.

Then, I'd invest wisely, live off the interest, and write plays. I would self produce. I'd also travel more. I would endeavor to never ever ever work an unsatisfying job again.

Nancy
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Helen, I hope you win the lottery.

schitzonicsox
06-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd pay off all my close friends' and family's debts.
I'd never stop traveling.
I'd get an impractical doctorate degree. (although I'd likely finish my current grad program)
Work would consist of things I want to do - most likely literacy and education work.
I'd own a brownstone in Park Slope, Brooklyn and farm in the Catskills.
I'd buy my mom a really nice home.
I'd buy art.

Crazy Don
06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd probably move out of the country, but my family would probably hound me for money (I'd probably wind up giving them some, of course…)

JayPeaches
06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
^ I would certainly want to give money to family members, but I'd have to really think about to whom and how much. My parents don't really need it (they're very frugal), but it would certainly be one less thing for them to worry about. I think they would rather have a nice vacation house where we could all vacation together than have cash. As for T's Mom, she needs the money but I guarantee you she'd just spend it all on QVC! ;l

He's got a brother whose family could really use help, but I'm a little miffed after hearing them bitch about not having enough money for years and years only to spend thousands of dollars on a boob job for his wife.

Money makes people crazy. I know you could never hide $10 million from family and friends, but once you start giving it out, things can get ugly QUICK. My Mom is already estranged from one of her brothers after he fucked her over when their Dad's estate was being settled...and that was over barely a million euros (split three ways). I can't imagine how he'd act if he knew there was $10 million associated with her.

pan
06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
not tell anyone

Autumn
06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
I would probably squander it all foolishly within about five years and end up addicted to crack until I died in an alley somewhere.

iamstilljamiepoo
06-25-2010, 03:36 PM
10 million taco bell tacos.

In all seriousness, I don't know. I have a friend whose husband's mom died. The inheritance was 100,000. I swear...gone in a year. This would be fine if they'd bought a house or done something else smart. Nope. Had a wedding (totally fine, though I don't think they spent a lot on it), bought a car. Meanwhile, she bought her side of the family silly things like boats (us Nebraskans like our speed boats). Never saw a penny of it back from those who borrowed.

I don't think I'd take my money and run, but I think I would have to be very careful for whom I provided things. I'd buy a small house, invest, pay off my debts. Give some to charity. Probably help my sister out. My parents don't have a lot of debt, so I'd probably take care of those. That is it! Period.

Barbarella
06-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Travel, travel travel!
Buy a cottage in Ireland, a cabin in NC & a beach house some where in Florida.
Pay off debt.
College funds for my kids and my best friends kids.
Buy my momma a house in WV.
Buy my dad a motorcycle.
Start a charity.
Open a pub.
Breast lift.
Moar tattoos!

Lathan
06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Buy a cottage in Ireland, a cabin in NC & a beach house some where in Florida.

Wait a second. Are you going to stalk Tori?

Becka
06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Pay off our debt
Remodel our house
Sponsor my mum into Canada, set her up in a nice apt nearby
Buy a really nice cottage up on the Georgian Bay
Hire personal trainer/cook

Stephanie
06-25-2010, 05:42 PM
*sigh* I still love this game...

Pay off my parents' debts and set them up for retirement. Buy them each a nice apt (they're divorced).
Take relatives & close friends on a great trip.
Financially help out friends & family that need it.
Buy a large-ish house with a yard in the downtown area.
Buy a cottage on a lake somewhere near.
Travel! Travel travel travel.
Stop work.
Take my son out of daycare.

eednic
06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
I would start a non-profit for saving animals! Mostly puppies! And I'd also open up my own tiny baby recording studio and make some albums. And if ever any money was made from those, the profits would be donated to the puppy NPO. I'd take some nice vacations too, travelling the world.

molotovcocktease
06-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I think of this often.

1. quit my job.
2. go back to school for social services.
3. buy a nice house (but nothing too expensive- i hate paying high taxes)
4. buy more houses
5. turn those houses into homeless/ halfway houses to get other people back on their own feet, and set up a fund/network to reach out to people who need help after losing their homes to conditions beyond their control.
6. get the job I want.

I would help some family out with debt (car payments for example, I'd get rid of those nasty things for them) but I wouldn't buy anything too expensive, like a house or something they wouldn't need.
The rest of the money? Depending how much I won, I'd travel (after school) and have a closet full of clothes and shoes and things I want now but can't afford. I've always wanted a nice kitchen, a really nice kitchen.

Alan
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Buy the Alamo and give it back to Mexico just to see what would happen.

MTC
06-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Travel, pay off our house, pay off some bills for my relatives and in-laws, save some for my son's tuition, new camera, check local charities to see who needs what and donate anonymously and finally, get a Harley.

Whappo
06-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd buy property pretty much exactly like Helen's. (And then I would attempt to steal her life, Single White Shemale style.)

I'd help my parents out with money, I'd buy nice shoes, I'd stock up an amazing kitchen, and I'd travel lots and lots and visit friends. Oh, and I'd pay off student loans and get my postgrad stuff too, obviously. I wonder how it would affect my career plans.

Or I'd up and relocate to the Pacific Northwest and live happily ever after. That is a thing you can buy. Maybe I'd open a tea and porridge shop.

Also, what Autumn said.

insanitykun
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, first off is pay my student loans, give my mother a good chunk of the money so she can paint abstract color fields all day and not have to work. I would pay for my sister to go to grad school/phD/whatever she wants to do. But I wouldn't pay off her student loans because she should be self reliant still!

Put away another chunk of it in trust for her kids/my kids of the future, if we have any.

AND GET A SUPER CUTE APARTMENT WITH WINDOWS AND A NICE KITCHEN AND A LIVING ROOM. and you know, travel and shit. I'd probably still work, though. I like working, I just don't like worrying about overdrawing every. fucking. month.

Churumbela
06-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I think about what I'd do with lottery money far too often.

First: pay off student loans from undergrad, and then get my MS.
Second: I'd buy a nice house and stop having to live in apartments. I don't want a palace, just a nice, maybe 3 bedroom place so I could have a guestroom or two. My friends and I have a deal that if any of us wins the lottery, we buy a few houses all in the same neighborhood so we can all live closer to one another.

I would give some money to my parents so they could pay off the mortgage on their house, do all the work they want to do to it, and go back to visit Italy again.

I would travel, see some of Western Europe and also Japan.

And then I'd go back to work, because I actually quite like my job, and I'd like it even more if money wasn't something that worried me all the time.

Lathan
06-26-2010, 05:44 PM
I would definitely want to work, just not in the job I'm in now. I think I'd need to work. I feel like I need some structure in my life. When I was freelancing (unemployed) I was a slightly crazy person.

buy amazing chocolates dessert from france, get massive and get liposuction. repeat.
Perhaps you could buy some fancy chocolate laxatives. More bang (ahem) for your buck.

not tell anyone
I think that's tempting too. I don't really know anyone who isn't struggling, and I wonder if one of us did hit the lottery, if it would - I don't know - drive some wedges in between some people.

Churumbela
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
If I did win, I'm pretty sure I'd ask the media or whoever controls news releases about the lottery to not publicly announce my name. People seem to come out of the woodwork when you come into money.

jeth
06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Pay off debts
Buy a slightly bigger house with a bigger, fenced in yard so we could adopt more dogs
Help close family members out financially
I would like a newer car
I would travel
I probably wouldn't quit working entirely, though I'm not certain if I would stay in my same job or not
I would support various charities, local and otherwise. There is an animal rescue group I worked with when I lived down south that still hasn't raised the funds to start a shelter, so all animals that they take in have to be fostered. There isn't enough foster space, obviously, so they can't help as many animals as they would like to. They spend the majority of their fundraising money to defray the cost of spaying and neutering animals to help reduce the overall population since they can't help house that population. I would make sure that they finally get that no-kill shelter that they've been working for all of these years.

Lathan
06-26-2010, 05:56 PM
(re: Churumbella) I read an article about that. It seems that by claiming the prize (in NY at least) you agree that they can use you as publicity. So you have to. There's a press conference that you must attend.

One guy claimed his prize in a wig and dark sunglasses and made very brief comments to the press because he was concerned about that very thing.

I can't blame him.

Barbarella
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
(re: Churumbella) I read an article about that. It seems that by claiming the prize (in NY at least) you agree that they can use you as publicity. So you have to. There's a press conference that you must attend.

One guy claimed his prize in a wig and dark sunglasses and made very brief comments to the press because he was concerned about that very thing.

I can't blame him.

Did he look like this?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/preps/uploaded_images/bernie-749570.jpg

Tulip In A Cup
06-26-2010, 06:14 PM
First hire a good financial adviser because I would have no idea how to handle that kind of money.
Quit my job and go to school for something that I would love and enjoy like cosmetology. But I would go to a high end school in New York or LA.
Buy a house in the North end of Boise or in the mountains of Boise, not anything too huge but still big and beautiful.
Buy brand new cars of course.
I would help my immediate family out. Probably buy my step dad and real dad modest houses and my 3 siblings.
I would buy a house or an apartment in the Chicago area so I can stay there whenever I want and visit family. It would be great to live in an apartment on Lake Shore Drive.
Since I have family in Maryland I would buy a house there too.
I would travel all over the world we have always wanted to go to England and Japan.
I would buy a small jet if I could afford it so I can never have to buy a plane ticket again.
I would get bariatric surgery.
I would pay off the little debt that I have.

Nothing that different than most people.

wout
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
After 1 month of living la vida loca, I'd probably invest the money wisely, as one does, so I don't have to work. I don't need to spend HUGE amounts on a monthly basis. My life's quite good as it is. More travel, more hobby related indulging, more fancy clothes, furniture and art, but that's it. I don't need a ferrari. I don't need a new 5-bathroom house (am quiate happy with my current house). Also, setting up saving plans for the brothers' children.

When that's done:
- Quit my job, do some freelance designing and artwork when I fancy it
- Use my spare time to do more drawing/painting, try to learn to play the piano, pick up a new education even!
- Get a lovely holiday house in Scotland (Trossachs) and go there often
- Do a half year roadtrip through the usa
- Maybe open up a business of my own, but in a way that I won't have to do TOO much myself ;)

wout
06-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I would start a non-profit for saving animals! Mostly puppies!

And that! [post28]

aekiameh
06-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Ah, always fun to think and dream about!

1. Help out my mom and dad. Give them enough money so they won't have to worry about it ever anymore.
2. Give enough money to my sister and her husband so they also don't have to worry about money anymore.
3. Buy a nice detached house somewhere quiet and beautiful. Either near the woods/on a hill/ near the sea or a lake.
4. Buy a holiday home in Ireland.
5. Travel loads.
6. Work less/ do more voluntary work.
7. Give money to friends who could really do with some in order to live a more carefree life.
8. Donate money to organizations who do really good work and could really do with more money.

I think that's it.

Barbarella
06-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I meant to buy lottery tickets last night, because of this thread, but I forgot! :( Oh well, there's always next week!

Churumbela
06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't need a new 5-bathroom house (am quiate happy with my current house).

Judging by the pictures you posted once upon a time, I think I'd be quite happy with your current house, as well!

Ryan
06-28-2010, 06:22 AM
I meant to buy lottery tickets last night, because of this thread, but I forgot! :( Oh well, there's always next week!

We bought two but forgot to check them. I could be rich! (But probably not.)

Lathan
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Did he look like this?

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/preps/uploaded_images/bernie-749570.jpg

Yes! And also like this -

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6654/lotteryman.jpg

other pete
06-28-2010, 02:10 PM
I would go back to my local corner shop and buy a million more tickets just so I could say

"I think I'm on a roll!"

And then my work in this dimension would be done.

other pete
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM

If I had any change left over I would buy you a 5 year diary and paitently write "Buy lottery tkt!" in it every sunday <3

SparkleMotion
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Let's see...pay of our credit card, pay off the house, fix up the house, put away a large chunk for retirement/college fund for our son, travel massively (I've never been off the North American continent!), pay off any family member debts (well, ones that weren't due to massive stupidity *cough*my brother-in-law*cough*), and donate to various causes.