PDA

View Full Version : Singles Rank... GO!!

Octopussy
10-26-2016, 10:54 PM
This is where we rank all of Tori's commercial A-sides. Below is the list. EXCLUDED: obscure promo releases that weren't widely distributed - there's a lot of these. Precious Things, Northern Lad, Cars & Guitars and even London Girls had their own 1-track promos, but weren't really promoted as album singles and didn't get much attention.

Feel free to include them if you like. List here (https://www.discogs.com/artist/9902-Tori-Amos)

"Remix" denotes songs that were only promoted in club remix format, the original album versions were not the actual singles. (Barring Crucify, Talula etc where the remixes were more Tori-like)

Anyway... GO!!!

Silent all these years
China
Winter
Crucify
Cornflake Girl
God
Pretty Good Year
Past the Mission
Caught a Lite Sneeze
Talula
Hey Jupiter
Professional Widow (remix)
Springtime of His Voodoo (remix)
Spark
Jackie's Strength
Raspberry Swirl
Cruel
Bliss
1000 oceans
Glory of the 80s
Concertina
Strange Little Girl
A sorta Fairytale
Taxi Ride
Don't make me come to Vegas (remix)
Strange
Mary (tales vers)
Angels
Sleeps with Butterflies
Sweet the Sting
Big Wheel
Bouncing off Clouds
Almost Rosey
Welcome to England
Maybe California
500 miles
A Silent Night with You
Carry
Flavor (remix)
Trouble's Lament
Promise
Flicker

Octopussy
10-26-2016, 11:26 PM
01 Caught a Lite Sneeze easy #1, my fave song (most days) and perfect summation of all that is Tori.
02 Cornflake Girl - best piano ever
03 Crucify - not really into the single mix, but usually a good intro to Tori in any version.
04 Spark - everybody was all "ooh" and "ahh" at the dramatic, dark nature of this when it came out. Hard to believe it a song like this was once all over MTV & rock radio.
05 Jackie's Strength - the perfect Tori ballad to me. Nostalgia, poignancy and even a bit of humor.
06 Bliss - one of the catchiest, liveliest singles IMO. I could dance to it...sort of.
07 Hey Jupiter - perfect Tori ballad #2, and the Dakota version is the perfect radio mix. Unfortunately they fade out the best part on the promos, but oh well.
08 Taxi Ride - still bummed this didn't make more of a splash, way more interesting than Fairytale IMO
09 A Sorta Fairytale - hard to argue with the appeal of this one, especially the 101 mix
10 Silent All These Years - can't really argue with the iconic status of this one either. This probably stopped people dead in their tracks in 1991.

Bubbling under!

11 Winter - not exactly radio-friendly, but possibly her most satisfying and well-written song ever.
12 Pretty Good Year - one of the absolute best songs, but like Winter it seems kind of foreign to radio audiences in any decade.
13 Bouncing Off Clouds - while I cannot reconcile the lame album mix, a colorful single version could've made my top 10 easily.
14 Trouble's Lament - catchy, easy to like yet not exactly conventional. My only beef is the lack of the deep piano parts she does live.
15 Cruel - this is so memorably eccentric to me, a really great representation of the dark/experimental era. I know a lot of casual Tori fans who stopped paying attention after the 90s, and they all remember this song.

Octopussy
10-27-2016, 10:53 PM
I'll do a bottom 10 because unforumzed is full of haters.

32 Welcome to England - the only people who might've enjoyed this are the ones who didn't realize it's a pastiche of like 10 other songs
33 Springtime of His Voodoo (dance mix) - I really hate this remix, but it gets a pass for being cheesy in more of an "of its time" way
34 Sleeps with Butterflies - yawn. Orange Knickers would've been more attention getting.
35 Sweet the Sting - double yawn. Should've been Cars & Guitars, which if nothing else has a great vocal.
36 500 Miles - I don't hate it but it's a bit much
37 Carry - Most boring track on NOH but this isn't really a radio singles album so whatev
38 Flavor (dance mix) - the AATS version could've made my top 20, but this remix is so stupid and dated
39 Flicker - "heeehhhh-roOo-ans" *click*
40 Mary (Tales) - wtf??? This even had a VIDEO
41 Maybe California - eh maybe no.
42 A Silent Night with You - the radio plays my holiday faves, which is why I never hear this.

Faust
10-27-2016, 11:05 PM
This is a great thread idea! I need some time to figure out mine though.

MikeEP
10-28-2016, 03:57 AM
01 Caught a Lite Sneeze easy #1, my fave song (most days) and perfect summation of all that is Tori.

couldn't agree more with this. it's quintessential Tori. it's the song that first got me into Tori, and i really do think it's the perfect introduction to her because if someone doesn't like Sneeze, i highly doubt they're gonna be into her.

here's my top 10, ranked:

1. Caught a Lite Sneeze
2. Spark
3. Cornflake Girl
4. God
5. Pretty Good Year
6. Silent All These Years
7. Hey Jupiter
8. Winter
9. Past the Mission
10. Cruel

toriMODE
10-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Cruel (Only because it's my all-time favorite Tori song)
Spark
Cornflake Girl
Crucify
Caught a Lite Sneeze
Hey Jupiter
Raspberry Swirl
Pretty Good Year
Winter
Bliss
Past the Mission
A sorta Fairytale
Jackie's Strength
God
Talula
Bouncing off Clouds
China
Silent all these years
Welcome to England
Almost Rosey
Concertina
Strange Little Girl
Sweet the Sting
Strange
Taxi Ride
1000 oceans
Don't make me come to Vegas (remix)
Angels
Glory of the 80s
Professional Widow (remix)
Promise
Flavor (remix)
Carry
Mary (tales vers)
Trouble's Lament
500 miles
Maybe California
Big Wheel
Flicker
In the Springtime of His Voodoo (remix)
A Silent Night with You
Sleeps with Butterflies

waitressboy
10-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Looking at that list, it's funny to see that the more mainstream songs, the songs that might've been successful on charts, are the shittiest ones.

Octopussy
10-29-2016, 03:54 AM
I think the problem for awhile was that she picked songs that were not just commercial, but really BLAND as well (Butterflies, Sting, California, Silent Night, etc) She has a recognizable brand, and there's always a market for offbeat pop, but for some reason she tries to court fans of John Mayer and Norah Jones.

snowgayngel
10-29-2016, 05:02 AM
Hey Jupiter
Pretty Good Year
Taxi Ride
Cornflake Girl
A Sorta Fairytale
Bliss
Silent All These Years
Talula
Carry
Caught a Lite Sneeze

Glory of the 80s
Crucify
Spark
Cruel
***** ********** (my secret shame)
1000 Oceans
Welcome to England
Raspberry Swirl
Strange Little Girl
Big Wheel
God
Past the Mission
Winter
Jackie's Strength
Bouncing Off Clouds
Sleeps With Butterflies
Almost Rosey
Flavor
Flicker
Strange
China
Concertina
500 Miles
Angels
A Silent Night With You
Trouble's Lament
Sweet the Sting
In the Springtime of His Voodoo (Remix)
Professional Widow (Remix)
Promise
Don't Make Me Come to Vegas (Remix)
Mary

Yo Jupiter
10-30-2016, 05:03 PM
Mary from TOAL had a video??? why don't I know about this?

My top 5 would be:

1. Taxi Ride - also my fave Tori song overall, I wish she made a proper video for it, maybe pushed it some more somehow after the success of ASF. it's quite easy listening and also lyrically poignant. but I think after ASF she kinda stopped caring about singles sadly

2. A Sorta Fairytale - close 2nd, also in my overall list. not much to comment here, great video, great everything. glad it was a nice success, especially 10 years into her career.

3. Jackie's Strength - my 3rd fave overall of hers, her best ballad imo. the video was also great.

4. Carry - I think this was a good single choice for that era. it's one of the shorter, simpler songs, no weird metaphorical lyrics about cactuses and foxes, it's a straightforward and relatable ballad. and also it was the Tori song that won me over so I'll always think highly of it :) the UG tour version was amazing as well

5. Cornflake Girl - perfect as an intro to Tori's catalogue (along with Sneeze), a very very cool Tori song

The bottom would be (1 = worst):

1. A Silent Night With You (the nadir)
2. Promise (cringe cringe cringe)
3. Flicker (meeeeeeeeeeeeeh)
4. Flavor (pretty but not for a single + the video is truly atrocious + the dance remix is even more wtf)
5. Sleeps With Butterflies (actually I really like this song and would probably rank it higher if I was just ranking my faves; in terms of singles, it's an awful choice)

Ironically, the videos with the higher budget (Promise, Flavor, SWB) were lame and wasted on those songs, while songs that would've benefited from quality videos (Bouncing, WTE, Taxi Ride, even Big Wheel) got a lazy treatment.

waitressboy
11-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Mary from TOAL had a video??? why don't I know about this?

What's even funnier is that it's basically the same stupid crap that is on the Professional Widow remix.
That might be the biggest WTF in the whole career of Tori Amos: Mary having a video that is just like a video she did before.

Andrew
11-01-2016, 10:54 AM
1. Cornflake Girl
2. Caught a Lite Sneeze
3. Raspberry Swirl
4. Talula
5. God

albo talula is superior tho

MrQuin
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Caught a Lite Sneeze
Spark
A Sorta Fairytale
Pretty Good Year
Past The Mission
Bliss
Silent All These Years
Winter
Concertina
Welcome To England

Octopussy
11-01-2016, 07:58 PM
What's even funnier is that it's basically the same stupid crap that is on the Professional Widow remix.
That might be the biggest WTF in the whole career of Tori Amos: Mary having a video that is just like a video she did before.

Up to that point, I think Mary & Sweet Dreams from TOAL were the worst things she ever did. I will listen to ADP on repeat for a whole day before I play that dreck again. They could've done a nice a video for Angels too, with Tori as "librarian" researching patriarchal injustices, while stuff happens outside (in the vein of Jackie or 1000 oceans videos)

waitressboy
11-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Up to that point, I think Mary & Sweet Dreams from TOAL were the worst things she ever did. I will listen to ADP on repeat for a whole day before I play that dreck again. They could've done a nice a video for Angels too, with Tori as "librarian" researching patriarchal injustices, while stuff happens outside (in the vein of Jackie or 1000 oceans videos)

Or something childish like a video for Snow Cherries with T dressed as in the booklet, in a library, opening books and animated drawings narrating the story of the song.
But oh no, she made another stupid video with scenes from old videos for a horrible song.

waitressboy
11-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I'll go with a different approach: the songs that I think had more potential to be hits (something that, obviously, didn't happen because her biggest hit is the awful remix of Professional Widow).

1- A sorta fairytale Tori has never been more mainstream than here. This song says HIT all over the lyrics and the melody. It's a pity the video is so awful. She even got an Oscar winner for it, and the result was so... ugly.
2- Jackie's Strength By this time, after Pele, Tori was "weird" so this beautiful ballad could've changed her public image. The video is beautiful. I don't know why it wasn't a bigger hit.
3- Cornflake girl This is Tori Amos. She writes cryptic lyrics. She plays the piano. She is "feminist". She's a great singer. She's cool (in 1994).
4- Silent All These Years I always take this one as her presentation card instead of Crucify. It's a beautiful song (the video not so much).
5- Trouble's Lament Ok, this is controversial, I know, but I'll say it anyway: this song was not a hit because Tori is over 50. If Taylor Swift recorded this song, it would've been the biggest hit of the year.
6- Strange Little Girl The video. This song failed because Atlantic and Tori were in the worst point of her relation, but this had the potential to be a hit.
7- Raspberry swirl Tori makes you dance! What else can you ask for? (The video is weird as fuck, I love it)
8- Bliss This wouldn't be a huge hit, actually, but it's the kind of song that all the hardcore fans of Tori would love. I mean, I would feel proud to hear it on the radio.
9- 1000 Oceans Think this as the single pre-A Sorta Fairytale. It kinds of prepares the audience for "The woman who plays the piano and writes beautiful tear-inducing balads". The video could've been better, more mainstream, but it's ok.
10- Caught a Lite Snezze It's not that I don't like this song, I love it. But seriously, this, as a single? It worked only because the middle 90s were sublime and we had a lot of cool weird stuff on the radio. But five years sooner or later, CALS had no chance AT ALL to be a single.

Spikey
11-01-2016, 09:54 PM
1. Hey Jupiter: Dakota; this got her at least one new fan... me! The entire thing sounds so alien to anything she ever did before it, and it even uses elements from an older song. Leave it to Tori to do something so inventive and attract new people to her fold.
2. Past the Mission; Why wasn't this an enormous hit, it sounds like one to my ears. Anyone I've ever encountered I've played this song for has liked or loved this song. Did something go wrong with promotion?
3. China; Love it. It is unforgivable that the radio edit / single version / video version cuts the second verse. I always feel that the lyrical height is reached when she sings "China, decorates our table, funny how the cracks don't seem to show," because it cuts down the geographical distance from China-NewYork back to an intimate dinnertable between two people with the same word and the same symbols. Perhaps she should have sold this song to Celine Dion.
4. Precious Things; Oh oh why Tori was this not a main thing to promote. More than any other of the early songs, this radiates so much energy and power.
5. Cruel: Shady Feline Version. Deep dark vibe and sounds. It is a winner.
6. Glory of the 80s. Who does not love the 80s? I think this is a very decent pop song with a multitude of functions.
7. Caught a Lite Sneeze. Great video, great song. Ever since the Remaster thread though I can't get the drum mime out of my head when listening to it. Ever.
8. A Sorta Fairytale. Either the single edit or the 101 mix works GREAT as a pop song.
9. Taxi Ride. Sucker for this one. Though why on the single they cut away the first catchy lovely second I don't know.
10. Sweet the Sting. It is catchy, you've got to admit.

Confession; Have not considered anything post-Beekeeper as I've not listened to all the newer junk too much.

Octopussy
11-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Or something childish like a video for Snow Cherries with T dressed as in the booklet, in a library, opening books and animated drawings narrating the story of the song.

That's a great idea. Like the Comic Book Tattoo artwork... Of course that didn't exist at the time, but something in that vein would've been wonderful.

I agree with so many of y'alls choices. Hey Jupiter, Cruel, Strange Little Girl and Trouble's Lament were very underrated singles. Cruel would've done well with a video, I think that song was made for MTV2 and 120 Minutes.

I honestly didn't care for the Trouble's Lament video, I don't think that fit the vibe of the song at all, which is more bluesy Southern Gothic/Americana. Some random cafe in London? Ehh, I guess they have a tight budget now, but still.

grapefruit_is_winning
11-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Ironically, the videos with the higher budget (Promise, Flavor, SWB) were lame and wasted on those songs, while songs that would've benefited from quality videos (Bouncing, WTE, Taxi Ride, even Big Wheel) got a lazy treatment.

That's a really interesting observation.

Mary is so, so dreadfully bad. One the one hand it's quite bland, but somehow it manages to be deeply off putting. The TOAL version is even worse than the original, which I didn't think possible until it happened.

waitressboy
11-09-2016, 07:26 PM
I honestly didn't care for the Trouble's Lament video, I don't think that fit the vibe of the song at all, which is more bluesy Southern Gothic/Americana. Some random cafe in London? Ehh, I guess they have a tight budget now, but still.

I think it's her best video since Strange Little Girl, actually.
But, again, I do think the problem is that it's a Tori Amos song. Even Sheryl Crow could've pulled a performance/acting more appropriate on it. (She should've been part of the story, besides the ending in the car, and not even there there's any kind of interaction).

yoshi
02-16-2017, 08:11 PM
here you go: top 10

01. Caught a Lite Sneeze
02. Bliss
03. Spark
04. Pretty Good Year
05. Crucify
06. Cornflake Girl
07. Hey Jupiter
08. Concertina
09. Talula