PDA

View Full Version : Setlist and Reviews for Glasgow, UK 06/10/2017

Rabih
08-03-2017, 05:42 PM
This topic is solely dedicated to the setlist and freakout for the Tori show at the O2 Academy in Glasgow, UK.

Setlist

01. I i e e e
02. Bliss
03. Etienne
04. Baker Baker
05. Spark
06. Lust
07. Silent All These Years

Fake Muse Network

08. Here Comes The Rain Again [Eurythmics Cover] / Only Happy When It Rains [Garbage Cover]
09. Famous Blue Raincoat [Leonard Cohen Cover]

10. Reindeer King
11. Winter
12. Twinkle
13. Mother
14. Virginia
15. Blood Roses

Encore

16. Precious Things
17. A Sorta Fairytale

Rabih
10-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Now open for discussion!
(Last European NI show)

toriMODE
10-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Wills: Jackie's Strength & Beauty of Speed
Wants: Past the Mission & Breakaway

Weatherman
10-06-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm going!

bkork
10-06-2017, 07:37 AM
I shall be there :)

Dan
10-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Can't believe the European tour is already ending. It must be her shortest in ages!

Johnothon
10-06-2017, 03:26 PM
So excited for tonight. This is my reward for getting through the first term of my first ever year of high school English teaching!

bkork
10-06-2017, 03:36 PM
A silly question... but does anyone know if the O2 has a cloakroom?

Johnothon
10-06-2017, 03:46 PM
A silly question... but does anyone know if the O2 has a cloakroom?

Sure does.

bkork
10-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Sure does.

Fantastic - I am coming with a rucksack that would just be in the way inside the venue.

spark
10-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Possible seating arrangement nightmare in Glasgow tonight............ This reminds me of Dallas 2001.... Oh no..

Dan
10-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Well, if the show is anything like Dallas 2001...

scottslean
10-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Anyone periscoping tonight? Would love to tune in!

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:17 PM
iieee
Bliss
Etienne
Baker Baker

fullofwish
10-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Doesn't look like it. Set so far is:

iieee
bliss
etienne

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:22 PM
iieee
Bliss
Etienne
Baker Baker
Spark

Regina Phalange
10-06-2017, 08:27 PM
So far very good, especially if Etienne is vocally strong and not strained.

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Lust

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Silent All These Years

Jessy
10-06-2017, 08:33 PM
love this set except for lust.

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Here Comes The Rain Again (Eurythmics)

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:44 PM
(with some "Only Happy When It Rains") (Garbage)

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Famous Blue Raincoat

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Reindeer King

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:54 PM
lol. undented tweeted "rAindeer king" because of the covers.

Kala
10-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Winter

Bloody Grace
10-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Lovely set so far!

Rabih
10-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Is it the first time she covers Garbage? It’s nevertheless wonderful to see her shout-out to Shirley Manson. Their support for each other has been lovely this year [post28]

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Twinkle

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Mother

Jessy
10-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Twinkle

i need to see a show in scotland to guarantee that i will get to hear this one live.

I once traveled to atlanta for a show betting she'd play beulah land (she did) :)

scottslean
10-06-2017, 09:09 PM
WOW. this set is fantastic. if shes GOING to do covers, thats the caliber of what I want.

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Virginia

scottslean
10-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Wooooooooo! Scarlet's here!

JamieC
10-06-2017, 09:13 PM
I enjoyed London but... this is a better set

Regina Phalange
10-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Virginia

I believe the proper protocol is ebby - LOOK!

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Blood Roses

toriMODE
10-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Awesome set!

Rabih
10-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Look at that second half! Fierce! Twinkle into Mother into Virginia into Blood Roses!

toriMODE
10-06-2017, 09:21 PM
People were concerned about Blood Roses not being played anymore, but it's back!

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Precious Things

ebby
10-06-2017, 09:24 PM
I believe the proper protocol is ebby - LOOK!

ewww. Tori hates Glasgow obviously.

ebby
10-06-2017, 09:24 PM
(with some "Only Happy When It Rains") (Garbage)

Ok, maybe she loves Glasgow. <3 this choice.

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:28 PM
A Sorta Fairytale

Kala
10-06-2017, 09:29 PM
iieee
Bliss
Etienne
Baker Baker
Spark
Lust
Silent All These Years

Fake Muse Network

Here Comes The Rain Again (Eurythmics)/with some "Only Happy When It Rains" (Garbage)
Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen)

Reindeer King
Winter
Twinkle
Mother
Virginia
Blood Roses

Encore

Precious Things
A Sorta Fairytale

toriMODE
10-06-2017, 09:42 PM
That's a very nice end of the EU tour set!

Faust
10-06-2017, 10:56 PM
Yaaas Blood Roses back to round out the European tour.

Nick
10-06-2017, 11:01 PM
Great set! She went hard on the TBK-AAtS period last night, and shut them out tonight. I would be so happy to get Famous Blue Raincoat in NY this year. I feel like we'll definitely get Mother a lot in the States and I will probably cry.

Adam
10-06-2017, 11:13 PM
NEED TO HEAR THIS SHOW!

Scottish Woman
10-06-2017, 11:40 PM
It was brilliant. According to the official set list, she was supposed to play Northern Lad after Lust; instead we got Silent.

I am knackered, will post more later.

Dan
10-07-2017, 12:01 AM
That's a gorgeous set; it would have been even better with Northern Lad.

Johnothon
10-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Guys, she really was phenomenal. I've been seeing her in Glasgow once per tour since 2009; it's amazing how each show is better than the last (not hard considering the dreaded Sinful Attraction was followed by NOH Tour).

Her lower register is gorgeous and I wish she would use it more. She knocked Virginia out of the park with those lower parts towards the end, and then she ripped Blood Roses apart immediately after. Just wonderful. So nice to see ASF close the Euro tour, and very fitting.

I'm sure that this has been brought up in other threads, but I felt like she wasn't leaving much musical space in the transitions between passages in songs. Not a comment at all on the quality of her performance, just something I found noticeable.

Uploading my recording right now and will post in the boots thread.

Rabih
10-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Here Comes The Rain / Only Happy When It Rains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL4-4IbOR0

Dan
10-07-2017, 01:38 PM
https://youtu.be/cUhY6xCDh-o

[edit: replaced with a much better video] holy shit, what a magnificent performance.

Venus_Envy
10-07-2017, 05:00 PM
holy shit, what a magnificent performance.

That and Blood Roses were the highlights of the show for me.

Johnothon
10-07-2017, 05:16 PM
That and Blood Roses were the highlights of the show for me.

A gazillion per cent. The "come on"'s at the end of BR were insane!

Nick
10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Wow @ that Virginia. Scarlet songs really suit her current voice; I really wish she'd done more Scarlet this tour! She has absolutely killed Pancake and Virginia, and I loved the Hamburg Gold Dust.

Suedehead
10-07-2017, 08:05 PM
That Virginia is just... wow.. I'm speechless.

I think there'll be a lot more Sclaret when she hits the US...

Weatherman
10-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Virginia has always been one of my top Tori songs along with Blood Roses and Famous Blue Raincoat. I was blown away last night and even got the chance to meet her yesterday!

tolotti_
10-07-2017, 10:12 PM
GREAT Virginia! Also loved the bits of Trouble's Lament and Only Happy When It Rains, as well the nod to Shirley.

hey j.
10-07-2017, 10:18 PM
Virginia! Oh my god chills. Such a stunning performance, I can only imagine what it would have been like in person.

I've been saying this all tour but more Scarlet please!

Dan
10-08-2017, 02:42 PM
On the other hand, there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue1RAKpellY
Lovely arrangement (possibly the best, after 25 years of Winter), but holy hell, that's a fuckton of whispering. I get once or twice for emotional effect, but if you can't hit any of the notes, change the key or play something else. Like, you know, Scarlet songs.

menju56
10-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Excellent Virginia.

WesternLad
10-08-2017, 05:37 PM
I dunno, I think all of those whispers on Winter were intentional because she hits notes higher than that in the same song.

spark
10-08-2017, 06:52 PM
I dunno, I think all of those whispers on Winter were intentional because she hits notes higher than that in the same song.

Agreed

Kala
10-08-2017, 09:07 PM

Lovely arrangement (possibly the best, after 25 years of Winter), but holy hell, that's a fuckton of whispering. I get once or twice for emotional effect, but if you can't hit any of the notes, change the key or play something else. Like, you know, Scarlet songs.

this is a very powerful performance. the whispering is mostly on the "your mind" part but she also sings that as well so i don't think it's because she's unable to hit the notes. i think Tori is really caught up in so many emotions witnessing her parents aging. this song has grown increasingly bittersweet as the years have passed.

Beelust
10-08-2017, 09:48 PM
^ particularly as she is not sure if her mother still has a mind at the moment. It is heartbreaking and beautiful...

bratboy
10-09-2017, 01:39 PM
wow virginia! <3<3<3

Carey
10-09-2017, 02:30 PM

I'm usually critic and everyone knows it well, but I think this performance is actually very good, maybe the best I've heard in 10 years. The whispering on "your mind" makes a lot of sense, as others have said, but I wouldn't say it's only intentional: when she sings it for the second time in the first chorus, her voice unwillingly breaks. It's true that she sings higher notes throughout the song, but the hardest thing is not a single high note (just think of the very high "in love" on Siren), but the passages.

Anyway, I'm really loving this performance, it's finally not on autopilot, so heartfelt and warm. She made it new again.

Carey
10-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Or when she can't hit a note. See Russia.

WesternLad
10-09-2017, 08:20 PM
She was whispering on Winter back in the 90s. She whispers a lot on Over The Rainbow too from way back when. It’s either intentional or she just doesn’t take a breath in time to get the note out. It’s not because she can’t hit the note anymore.

If you mean for those on the left/right in Russia, those are not really high notes at all so I don’t believe for a second she can’t hit them!

Blake
10-10-2017, 06:34 AM
Or when she can't hit a note. See Russia.

You're wrong. Once again.

JamieC
10-10-2017, 11:03 AM
She hits obviously higher notes in the song and they're as clear as a bell ("things are gonna change...") so clearly the whispering of "your mind" is for effect or the product of emotion. She's actually been doing it on Winter for years. Personally I love this version. Anyway - that Virginia ❤️❤️❤️

Carey
10-10-2017, 03:00 PM
As I said, the difficulty doesn't only lie in the high pitch of a note, but in the way some passages are built. Some notes are in between a change of register (from chest voice to head voice), so they require to be sung in a mixed voice that sometimes is hard to produce. Often hitting a straight high note is easier than singing some intervals. Plus, some vowels and some words are easier to sing than others for various reason.

That said, her voice is clearly changing and high notes are definitely not her forte. From what I hear she struggles to reach some notes (the end of Cooling, or Jupiter or Sugar) and I don't buy it for a minute that she only whispers for dramatic effect. Sometimes whispering is a trick she uses, a very clever and pleasant one. That doesn't mean she *can't* hit certain notes at all anymore, she still can, but it's more demanding than it used to be.

I know some people here only like to fight and offend for the sake of it (looking at you, sweet hate crime Blake), or are simply annoyed when someone points out at Tori's flaws, but I like to give some context to my statements, so I'll show you how I've come up with my opinion:

Look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Ldm-cRLW4

the passage on "steal me away" is quite difficult, so her voice always breaks, even in the studio cut. Here, she whispers it both times at 0.17 and 0.44. Then, on the second verse, she also whispers the word "muse" (2.51) and also whispers "is that what I've done", this time for dramatic effect, I think. Then she repeats the first sentence an extra time: the vowel "u" is easier to sing than the diphthong "ay", and she tries to sing it fully, this time; at 3.06 she slows down a bit, does a little glissando on "the" and manages to hit the note, but her voice breaks for a second anyway and is a little weak.

So: it's not a problem to me when she whispers, I'm not wishing her death, I'm not destroying her career nor hurting any of your relatives, so chill the fuck out and just learn to accept different points of view. She's still my favourite singer and I love her dearly, only not in a blind way. I just think her voice has changed and her low register is better today, as many people has already said.

WesternLad
10-10-2017, 03:11 PM
I still don't buy what you're saying I'm afraid. The steal me away line is not hard to sing. I am a terrible singer and I can sing this line! I checked out some live videos of this and they all vary. Sometimes she whispers the line, sometimes she sings it in a completely different way and sometimes she sings it the way it is in the studio version. I personally don't think her voice breaks in the studio cut either. I see it as dramatic effect.

I accept your different points of view, I just don't agree with them in this case. I agree that generally over the years there are problems with certain high notes and she can sound shrill and I wish she wouldn't try in those cases, I just don't agree with the examples you've given, namely this version of Winter or Russia or Forest Of Glass. I notice it more on things like Hey Jupiter and Oysters for example.

Carey
10-10-2017, 03:23 PM
I still don't buy what you're saying I'm afraid. The steal me away line is not hard to sing. I am a terrible singer and I can sing this line! I checked out some live videos of this and they all vary. Sometimes she whispers the line, sometimes she sings it in a completely different way and sometimes she sings it the way it is in the studio version. I personally don't think her voice breaks in the studio cut either. I see it as dramatic effect.

I accept your different points of view, I just don't agree with them in this case. I agree that generally over the years there are problems with certain high notes and she can sound shrill and I wish she wouldn't try in those cases, I just don't agree with the examples you've given, namely this version of Winter or Russia or Forest Of Glass. I notice it more on things like Hey Jupiter and Oysters for example.

I'm ok with your point of view and I wasn't referring to you, most to a general tendency here;) I still think the "steal me away" line is difficult because it glides from chest voice to head voice, at least if you're an alto. Are you singing it in the original key? If so, and if you have no trouble singing it, then you may not be a terrible singer at all.
About Winter, she sang the chorus without whispering on other dates of this tour, I know she can do it, but it varies from night to night and in Glasgow she seemed to have troubles with it, at least to me.

That said, she did a beautiful version of Winter and a stunning rendition of Virginia, so let's all be happy!

WesternLad
10-10-2017, 03:28 PM
We shouldn't forget that many other factors can affect an 'on the night' performance, e.g. feeling low energy, sore throat coming on, something stuck in your throat for a song or two, microphone issues and the list goes on and on. So yeah, better not to base it one performance but several from the same tour as a whole.

Carey
10-10-2017, 03:30 PM
How the fuck can you hear ANYTHING over the banshee screaming in the first minute of that video?
Also I disagree that her chest voice is in better shape. If that were the case, she'd use it more. I think Tori actually has serious issues with her mid range (more so than low lows). She's lost some dynamics in her range, and oftentimes the middle suffers more than the high end. She struggles the most when she has to switch from chest to upper register, which happens in MANY of her songs. It's quite remarkable her voice has held up as well as it has. My brother commented that she doesn't sound like she's aged a day on Native Invader, and he's a much more casual fan than I am. The differences we're hearing are not necessarily apparent to people who don't have her on repeat on their phones/stereos.

I agree with that. It changes from night to night, sometimes she has a very strong low voice (like when she sang Jolene and Extreme Ways) and some other times she has a cristalline high voice but it's like the basses are completely missing (she cut the bridge off Ruby for a long time and on the NOH tour she sang it an octave higher).
It's really remarkable how she's still able to deliver some kick ass performances in spite of the vocal damage, but some other times it just breaks my heart when I see how she's craving to belt her heart out but her voice won't let her.

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 05:13 PM
Here Comes The Rain / Only Happy When It Rains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL4-4IbOR0

Nice to hear a bit of Wings before the cover.

Beelust
10-10-2017, 05:50 PM
^ I thought that was more Wait Until Tomorrow/Trouble's Lament - and not Wings...

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 05:59 PM
^ I thought that was more Wait Until Tomorrow/Trouble's Lament - and not Wings...

You're correct.

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 10:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJ_XbHJ1ww

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 10:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVAUnEDhEI

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 10:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tYQdE4ujE

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 11:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QPMnZ-kMg

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 11:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ru46eyYDyA

toriMODE
10-10-2017, 11:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PKNTyW72g

SpaceDoggy
10-11-2017, 10:37 AM
As I said, the difficulty doesn't only lie in the high pitch of a note, but in the way some passages are built. Some notes are in between a change of register (from chest voice to head voice), so they require to be sung in a mixed voice that sometimes is hard to produce. Often hitting a straight high note is easier than singing some intervals. Plus, some vowels and some words are easier to sing than others for various reason.

That said, her voice is clearly changing and high notes are definitely not her forte. From what I hear she struggles to reach some notes (the end of Cooling, or Jupiter or Sugar) and I don't buy it for a minute that she only whispers for dramatic effect. Sometimes whispering is a trick she uses, a very clever and pleasant one. That doesn't mean she *can't* hit certain notes at all anymore, she still can, but it's more demanding than it used to be.

I know some people here only like to fight and offend for the sake of it (looking at you, sweet hate crime Blake), or are simply annoyed when someone points out at Tori's flaws, but I like to give some context to my statements, so I'll show you how I've come up with my opinion:

Look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Ldm-cRLW4

the passage on "steal me away" is quite difficult, so her voice always breaks, even in the studio cut. Here, she whispers it both times at 0.17 and 0.44. Then, on the second verse, she also whispers the word "muse" (2.51) and also whispers "is that what I've done", this time for dramatic effect, I think. Then she repeats the first sentence an extra time: the vowel "u" is easier to sing than the diphthong "ay", and she tries to sing it fully, this time; at 3.06 she slows down a bit, does a little glissando on "the" and manages to hit the note, but her voice breaks for a second anyway and is a little weak.

So: it's not a problem to me when she whispers, I'm not wishing her death, I'm not destroying her career nor hurting any of your relatives, so chill the fuck out and just learn to accept different points of view. She's still my favourite singer and I love her dearly, only not in a blind way. I just think her voice has changed and her low register is better today, as many people has already said.

I am totally with you on the passage thing that the switch from one key to another is very hard for her to sing these days. This sometimes leads to a kind of a squeaking noise. I also noticed that on the record as well, especially on NoH and UG and it was one of the main reasons why I started to enjoy listening to her music less than I did before. It kind of bugged me. However, I recognized it way less on Native Invader and I think it got better live as well.
However, I agree with the others that the whispering can happen due to many reasons, the difficult passages between keys being only one of them.