PDA

View Full Version : Tori Amos is new to your ears, what order would you listen to her albums?

toriMODE
08-06-2017, 07:02 PM
So you've just discovered Tori Amos, but based on what you know about her albums already, what would you tell to your Tori-virgin self - the order of albums you would listen to? Since her catalog is so big, I say just 4 albums.

I'd first listen to From the Choirgirl Hotel because it's what really made me a fan.

Secondly, probably Under the Pink, because it's just a very solid album with great songs.

Thirdly, probably To Venus and Back because it's good music for any mood

Lastly, Boys for Pele, it's a complex album that I'd only be ready for after being familiar with previous albums.

thisnotget
08-06-2017, 07:13 PM
FtCGH (my first Tori album)
Venus (since it's closer to Choirgirl in sound)
Pink (I listened to this after Choirgirl and thought it was boring for some reason...???)
Earthquakes
I wouldn't touch Pele until I know my shit ;l I was genuinely terrified after I tried to listen to it the first time

RisingPhoenix
08-06-2017, 07:48 PM
I gave my friend (who has never give tori a chance) her first 4 albums. He said pink was "painful" to get through. I just looked at him like he was from Mars as it just didn't compute.

BrotherNamedErised
08-06-2017, 08:22 PM
I think that, of her main albums, Little Earthquakes and Choirgirl would be the easiest ones to get into. They achieve that just-right combination of inescapable hooks and complexity that is her calling card.

Venus_Envy
08-06-2017, 08:54 PM
I started with "Under The Pink" after first hearing and falling in love with "Pretty Good Year", but I would probably say start with Little Earthquakes and work your way through the story in order.

dAmION
08-06-2017, 11:08 PM
When I encounter new artists I tend to go for their "riskiest" albums first.

So i'd probably start with Pele. I'd then go to Under The Pink. Then Little Earthquakes. Then Choirgirl and get hella disappointed. ;l

YellowBird
08-06-2017, 11:19 PM
If I was totally unfamiliar I'd probably start with Tales of a Librarian. After that listening experience, I'd probably stop right there. ;l

Just kidding! After ToAL I'd probably checkout Little Earthquakes. It's the definitive cultural moment. That and "Cornflake Girl" will assuredly be in her obit.

BrotherNamedErised
08-06-2017, 11:35 PM
If I was totally unfamiliar I'd probably start with Tales of a Librarian. After that listening experience, I'd probably stop right there. ;l

Interestingly, TOAL was the first full-length release that I got to hear when I was becoming a Tori Amos fan, and it converted me immediately. While we can all pick it apart now that we know just how much better it could have been, it's a solid introduction for new listeners. Greatest hits are basically intended as gateways to an artist's work anyway.

tolotti_
08-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Knowing me, I'd start with her last one, UG in this case. Then I'd move to the more adventurous one, BFP (it's what I did, but instead of UG, it was TBK)

obsceno pajaro
08-07-2017, 05:22 PM
I'd start with UtP (because Cornflake Girl is on it), then move on to her most experimental/hard-to-get-into record (BfP), then UG.

Jezebelle
08-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Am I 19 again or 42?

toriMODE
08-07-2017, 08:11 PM
You are 42.

iamstilljamiepoo
08-07-2017, 08:43 PM
I would probably start with UtP because the very first thing that drew me, 100 years ago, was Pretty Good Year. It was her voice, actually.

Then Earthquakes.

Beelust
08-08-2017, 06:53 PM
When I found Tori in 1997 at age 17 I only knew Siren (from the movie soundtrack) and Crucify from the radio (I thought is was a current 1997 song). When I went to the record store the day after hearing Crucify I bought LE because it was the oldest/first album. Then UTP the next day and BFP the day after.

I would suggest LE, UTP, BFP, FTCH in order so the listener can kind of understand the songwriter's journey. Then if one album is not doing it for them - they could just jump ahead to the next album.

Those 4 are classic Tori though. Plus TVAB, SLG, SW after that. Woman is a legend!

Swirlgirl
08-11-2017, 02:54 AM
I discovered Tori with LE and I would have to start there again. It's also what I sent two co-workers who hadn't really heard of Tori a month or so ago when I was sharing my ticket buying excitement/week off in October plans. In hindsight, I should have sent them SW, which I think is probably Tori's most accessible album.