PDA

View Full Version : "Up the Creek" - Initial Impressions

Joey
08-10-2017, 03:02 AM
Might as well keep the trend going, eh? What say you all?

thisnotget
08-10-2017, 03:11 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/TKySAecUIrljG/giphy.gif

YellowBird
08-10-2017, 04:56 AM
I think it's quite good. The melodies are really immediate. Tash's presence makes a certain amount of sense thematically as climate change is even more of an issue for the young. Tash's straightforward delivery is nice, nothing showy is happening vocally, which marred her previous vocals imo. When I heard of this collaboration I was pretty skeptical - I really didn't want to hear about "climate science" from the sixteen year old daughter of a rock star - but I honestly don't think they could have pulled this off any better. With Trump's election, her grandmother's stroke, coming to maturity, it's interesting to see Tash and Tori evoking the themes of resilience, nature, feminism, and rebellion. "Promise" was okay, but so saccharine. I disagree that this is a Tash song with add-ons from Tori. Thematically it is just so in line with Tori's oeuvre. I imagine that a lot of Torispeak that Tash has been inculcated with her whole life is beginning to actually mean something tangible to her, and that's what I hear in this song. It helps that its very musically interesting. The "Gaia's bones" and subsequent couplets are really fantastic. I put "like" in the poll but as I listen and write I have to bump it up to "love." I think it's excellent.

toriMODE
08-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I love it minus the electric guitar.