PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lathan
06-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Do tell!

I'll begin with (some of) my "Apartment Hunting" peeves.

Listings with:

Nonsense space-fillers (LQQK!!!!, AAA+++ Megamint!!!! Doubleplus Prime!!! OMG!!!)
Outright lies (12 bedrooms for $1 a month!!!!!!)
LOLcat spelling (SPASHUS!!! ROMMY!!!! SOOPER KLOSE TO TRANZPATASHUNS!!!)
More outright lies (Manhattan listing! ONLY 80 MILES TO MANHATTAN!!!)
Vague Threats? (Killer Views!!! Eye-stabbingly Sun Drenched!!! Cock-punchingly close to midtown!!! HEART ATTACK INDUCING CROWN MOLDINGS!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!! I WAS JUST RAPED BY THE CLOSENESS OF THE BRAND-NEW WASHER AND DRYER!!!!)
Even more outright lies (Stunning 2 square foot chef's kitchen!!!! IT'S A 2ND BEDROOM OR A CLOSET!!!)
Exclamation Point Overload (WILL!!! NOT!!!! LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! N!!O!!!W!!!!!!!)

iamstilljamiepoo
06-28-2010, 04:36 PM
^
Even not in annoying apartment ads, the whole !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
One does the job.

Churumbela
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
You're so fussy, Beverly. ;)

Tiny
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
One of my pet peeves is that some people seem to think it's okay to type just about anything as long as they put ;) after it.

Example: your dress is kind of ugly ;)

WTF! You just insulted me, except you're not (wo)man enough to actually say what you want to say, so you try to make it a joke. And I'm not allowed to get mad, 'cause ;) is a get out of jail free card or something.

sara
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
I hate crumbs in butter.

This is more of a major annoyance than a pet peeve, but people who go
"oh you're from Nova Scotia? I know a guy from PEI/NB/NL, do you know him?"
"Probably not, as I'm from Nova Scotia and he's not."
"Oh it's all the same thing out there, I bet you do know him!"
[banghead]

Zomino
06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I will second the crumbs in the butter!
I don't like my food touching either - maple syrup on my eggs? Pasta wilting my salad? NO!!

Churumbela
06-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Foods touching each other on a plate is an ABOMINATION.

Whappo
06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Sticking together is what good waffles do, Erin.

Pet peeve - people confusing "then" and "than." And people telling me they could care less.

Churumbela
06-29-2010, 12:04 AM
If it's two waffles, that's okay. If it's waffles and scrambled eggs fraternizing on a plate, then we have a problem.

Frangipani
06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Do tell!

I'll begin with (some of) my "Apartment Hunting" peeves.

Listings with:

Nonsense space-fillers (LQQK!!!!, AAA+++ Megamint!!!! Doubleplus Prime!!! OMG!!!)
Outright lies (12 bedrooms for $1 a month!!!!!!)
LOLcat spelling (SPASHUS!!! ROMMY!!!! SOOPER KLOSE TO TRANZPATASHUNS!!!)
More outright lies (Manhattan listing! ONLY 80 MILES TO MANHATTAN!!!)
Vague Threats? (Killer Views!!! Eye-stabbingly Sun Drenched!!! Cock-punchingly close to midtown!!! HEART ATTACK INDUCING CROWN MOLDINGS!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!! I WAS JUST RAPED BY THE CLOSENESS OF THE BRAND-NEW WASHER AND DRYER!!!!)
Even more outright lies (Stunning 2 square foot chef's kitchen!!!! IT'S A 2ND BEDROOM OR A CLOSET!!!)
Exclamation Point Overload (WILL!!! NOT!!!! LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! N!!O!!!W!!!!!!!)

Ugh Listings for Manhattan are so annoying. 3/4 of the pictures arent even representative of the listed apartment. I'm also convinced that some of the listings are ENTIRELY fictitious and exist only to get suckers to call brokers.

sara
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
And people telling me they could care less.

My mother was bad for saying "could care less" and I'd always say "you could care less? Go for it then".

Andrea
06-29-2010, 02:05 AM
One that I can think of is when I'm driving. I can't stand it when someone is in such a hurry that they jump out in front of me making my slam on my brakes only to turn off 100 yards later.

Oooh, and people who can't use objective and nominative case pronouns, but think they are using them correctly. "Just between you and I," it should be just between you and me, kthnx.

iamstilljamiepoo
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
If it's two waffles, that's okay. If it's waffles and scrambled eggs fraternizing on a plate, then we have a problem.

My brother used to take his corn and mashed potatoes and mix them all up. I gagged every time. Honestly.

I hate when people don't wait for others to exit an elevator before they try to charge into it. I understand sometimes you don't see that there are people in it. You can tell when they just don't care and haul in there, then look at you all annoyed.

Whappo
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I used to be really funny about foods touching each other. But now? Some of you should never ever see me eating. My ultimate comfort foods generally involve everything on my plate getting along quite intimately.

pan
06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
people from Boston pronouncing Splenda as "splender" as if all of a sudden now they have the ability to pronounce their "r's" even though it's not needed in this case.

Kari
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
-Spitting. I hate it when people spit. HATE.
-Slow walkers (yes, I know some people are disabled etc etc, but I'm a bitch and will still be irritated during rush hour. So sue me.)

Whappo
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Spitters are the absolute worst. I hate when I walk past a group of kids gobbing on the ground and they don't stop while I pass. Bad enough that you walk about spitting, guys, now you're spitting on me?

BAN HOODIES AND GET OFF MY LAWN.

Medusa
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I used to be really funny about foods touching each other. But now? Some of you should never ever see me eating. My ultimate comfort foods generally involve everything on my plate getting along quite intimately.
I'm the same way. I like to mix it up.

Spitting drives me absolutely insane as well, but my biggest pet peeve is loud cellphone conversations in public. Particularly in a small, enclosed area like an elevator or the bus. Everyone is forced to listen to what you have to say and trust me, none of us care in the slightest. Cellphones have created an environment where people not only feel that what they have to say is important, but that it can't wait 15-20 minutes until they're in a more private area.

beKa
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE when i'm merging onto the highway, and some dickwad behind me that's also merging thinks it's okay to pass me on the right so he can get up further when the LANE IS ABOUT TO END ANYWAY, EINSTEIN. I purposely stay in the middle so if i see someone behind me inching up about to do that, there's no room and they have to just merge in line like the rest of us.

Loffie
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Driving under the speed limit. Read the sign, grandma. It says 55 not 40, 45 or 30! And don't look at me like I'm a dick for passing you.
This always happens when I go to visit my mom. Ugh.

toriMODE
06-29-2010, 08:19 PM
When someone touches my belly button.

When cars slow down and turn before you, but never turn on their signal.

Lathan
06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
When riding the subway, you're supposed to let people off the car and then get on. It makes sense, because then there's room in the car. It's polite.

I hate when people push their way on while people are still getting off.

I also hate when people stand in the doorway and don't move for the people trying to get on and off.

Eating food on the subway? Meh. Eating smelly food on the subway? BLECH!

Clipping your nails on the subway? Screw you, you animal!

Medusa
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh my god, nail clipping on the bus drives me NUTS. It is so LOUD to me. Another one of those things where you wonder just why it couldn't wait until someone got home. Right then, RIGHT THEN is when you just HAVE to clip your nails?

The buses I take are frequented by old people who are pros with the bus. Pros as in they ride even more than I do. On the way home from work, I'm near the beginning of the line for the main bus that I take. So, basically, even when that stop is crowded we will all get a seat on the bus. But the amount of pushing/shoving that takes place to get on is amazing to me. People will line up, cut in front of you, push you out of the way to board, and -if someone is unlucky enough to want to get OFF the bus at that stop- steamroll over other passengers in their mad dash to get to a seat.

It's kind of turned me into a person who loathes elderly people, particularly (and this is not PC of me, but it's the truth) older bag ladies who will bring on 4-5 trash bags full of cans and bottles that they've scavenged from trash cans. Then you're pushed out of the way in the seat-dash by an old lady who smells like garbage.

sara
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
-Slow walkers (yes, I know some people are disabled etc etc, but I'm a bitch and will still be irritated during rush hour. So sue me.)
Slow walkers drive me crazy too. I also get irritated when I'm walking on the Seawall footpath, and people on bikes and rollerblades blatantly ignore the signs for their paths and come close to mowing me down because they don't use the path for blades/bikes. Oh, and then they give me dirty looks for not moving. Screw you, I'm not on your path.

beKa
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Oh, Ed, i was just thinking about that yesterday! i was getting off the elevator and some guy barged right on in and almost knocked me over. I was like, wait, isn't elevator etiquette that you wait for the people to disembarge and then make your way in? Yeah.

Frangipani
06-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh I was going to mention nail clipping and other "grooming" (scoriasis picking, head smelling etc etc) but I thought I might have been crossing the line from pet peeve to common fucking decency. Like the guy who touches every seat, where every head rests and the proceeds to sit down and eat raunch ass-reek-of-vinegar buffalo wings and then SUCK ON HIS FINGERS and then touch every seat on his way out. I hate you guy. Especially during rush hour.

ETA:
Feet on the seat :(
Bags and other shit on the seat to prevent people from sitting down :(

Kari
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh I was going to mention nail clipping and other "grooming" (scoriasis picking, head smelling etc etc) but I thought I might have been crossing the line from pet peeve to common fucking decency. Like the guy who touches every seat, where every head rests and the proceeds to sit down and eat raunch ass-reek-of-vinegar buffalo wings and then SUCK ON HIS FINGERS and then touch every seat on his way out. I hate you guy. Especially during rush hour.

ETA:
Feet on the seat :(
Bags and other shit on the seat to prevent people from sitting down :(

UGH UGH UGH GROSS. People are so nast.

Did you guys read the Gawker article about the grossest things people have ever seen on the subway? It's a great read, but make sure you haven't eaten anything beforehand.

menju56
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
When people get on the train but huddle together in the entrance because they are too scared to sit next to anyone in the train. Thus restricting access to the train for people yet to get on. Just sit next to someone for the two minutes it takes!!

Also slow walkers. And people who cut across.

Kari
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh, and also? on the escalator/stairs - you stand on the right and pass on the left. THIS IS NOT HARD PEOPLE.

Churumbela
06-29-2010, 09:50 PM
people from Boston pronouncing Splenda as "splender" as if all of a sudden now they have the ability to pronounce their "r's" even though it's not needed in this case.

I have no idear what you're talking about, Pete! ;)

Frangipani
06-30-2010, 01:47 AM
UGH UGH UGH GROSS. People are so nast.

Did you guys read the Gawker article about the grossest things people have ever seen on the subway? It's a great read, but make sure you haven't eaten anything beforehand.

Ew. I dont even think I want to know.

eresos
06-30-2010, 01:55 AM
:)

good thread - i love that i have time to read the forum now!!

agree with lots here must add another traffic pet peeve:

* those that rush, cut you off, tailgait you...only to get to a red light.
not worth risking death or accidents that will just slow us down more dumbtards.

oooh. that is another one. not smart people!!

but i guess we are all that in our own way and i am sure there is something i do that will be someone else's pet peeve.

SageBrushFire
06-30-2010, 05:39 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when I'm trying to help someone with a computer problem and a big error message shows up and they INSTANTLY close it without even reading what the fuck it said and say "SEE! WHY IS IT NOT WORKING?!"

I don't fucking know, maybe if you read the message we could get a goddamned clue!

EDIT: My other big computer peeve is when someone tries to get me to help them over the phone or via I.M. and they act all indignant and pissed off when I don't know what they're talking about. Just so everyone knows, I'm not a fucking psychic. I can't see what's on your screen. You want to empathize? Walk into another room and tell me what's wrong with your computer from memory, not looking at the damned thing. It's not so easy when the machine isn't right in front of your face, is it?

Lathan
06-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Not coffee.

Zomino
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
When people can't be bothered to take their empty shopping cart back to the return sections. [angry]

beKa
06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh, that reminds me of people who drive around and around a parking lot and then end up sitting and blocking everyone's way while they wait for someone to walk to their car and leave just so they can get a close spot. It's not THAT FAR to the door, give your fat ass some exercise!

anj
06-30-2010, 06:19 PM
ugh. the local y i go to has a very small parking lot with 3 handicap parking spots. i ALWAYS see non-handicap people pull in there and get out (and not for just a quick run-in-run-out. they pull up before my hour long class and are still there when i leave.) i haven't made it an issue with the front desk people but i'm getting to that point.

[[dance]]

Medusa
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Is it impossible to corral your kids on public transportation?

I spent the morning fending off two kids- first they were jumping on the bench, then they were screaming in my ear, then they came over and pulled my hair and tried to look through my purse.

Mom's just sitting there, watching them, not saying a damn word.

SweetPea
06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Is it impossible to corral your kids on public transportation?

I spent the morning fending off two kids- first they were jumping on the bench, then they were screaming in my ear, then they came over and pulled my hair and tried to look through my purse.

Mom's just sitting there, watching them, not saying a damn word.

This! Good lord, I would say this about almost any place where there are children! That's my biggest pet peeve is parents who let their kids do fuck all while in public (ie. restaurant, bus/train, store, doctor's office). I work in a Chiropractor's Office and a patient's kid once dumped water all over the floor and she didn't say a thing! She's lucky it was just water! >_<

Churumbela
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
^
Yeah. I went for a walk at work today and passed a minivan that had no fewer than five children in it. The back was wide open and two of the kids were wrestling. No adults in sight; they were inside at an appointment, and left all the children around the van, unattended. But if one of those kids had gotten hurt, you can bet it somehow would have been the hospital's fault.

JayPeaches
06-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Failure to properly merge into traffic.

I've come to the conclusion that Georgians and South Carolinians have no fucking clue how to merge into traffic on an Interstate, nor do they have any idea as to how to let someone else merge into traffic.

Churumbela
06-30-2010, 11:06 PM
IT'S LIKE A FUCKING ZIPPER, PEOPLE.

It's not just South Carolinians and Georgians, Jay. People everywhere are too idiotic to merge.

lacuna
06-30-2010, 11:11 PM
my biggest pet peeve is when I'm trying to help a customer and they're on their fucking cell-phone! Come the fuck on, it can't be that important.

SweetPea
06-30-2010, 11:24 PM
^ I "love" when I get the "hold on a second" finger... I'm sorry, you came into MY place of business and you have a scheduled appointment. Can't you at least call them back? Or the people that accompany my patients into the office, sit in my waiting room, and talk, LOUDLY, on their cell phones! ARGH!

Churumbela
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Cell phones conveniently don't work in most areas of our hospital. And it's not by accident. ;)

beKa
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I hate when someone calls ME at work from a landline and is on their cellphone or talking to someone else and they say, "oh, can you hold on?" when i pick up the phone. WTF!

I hate:

-People naming their cars. DUMB. No one cares that your Audi is named Bessie.
-Words like "snuggle" and "tender"

a HUGE pet peeve:

PEOPLE WHO VAGUEBOOK~!~!!!!

eednic
07-01-2010, 03:52 PM
a HUGE pet peeve:

PEOPLE WHO VAGUEBOOK~!~!!!!

Like this?

"Something important is about to happen......in my pants."

beKa
07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes!

Or like...

"Not sure i should have done what i did last night..........?????????"

Perky Compson
07-01-2010, 05:53 PM
For some reason, the one that always puts me into a rage is the people who stand on the escalator and hold on to both rails. Stop blocking movement and stand to one side, dammit! I have places to be!

I imagine if I ever had a breakdown and started lashing out violently at people, the first thing I'd do would be shove a few of these people down the escalator.

Churumbela
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM

I can't help but name cars. I spend a lot of time with my car, it deserves a name.

Whappo
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.landofgobeyond.co.uk/drwho/images/tardis/bessie_card.jpg

Vaguebooking! I can't stand when people use their status update to passive aggressively LAM that 99.9% of their friends won't understand. "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID AND YOU ARE A SHITHEAD." "xyz thinks some people need to fuck off." Lame.

EnjoyJoy
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
"I could care less"

No, no, NO. If you could care less it means you care! It grates my ears (or my eyes) whenever I stumble upon that. I have this saved in my computer just cause I'm an annoying bitch:

http://forums.applenova.com/images/ammo/i-could-care-less.jpg

lacuna
07-02-2010, 07:04 PM
here's another pet peeve of mine:

Me: Hello, welcome to [place of business].
Customer: Hello, how are you?
Me: I'm fine, how are...
Customer: Just fine?

alfkdjfkldj omg I'm just exchanging pleasantries motherfucker. People say this to me all damn day I can't think of something new and exciting every single time.

I must be incredibly cynical because I also can't stand overly nice people. People who are so sacharrine it makes my teeth hurt. Your day can't always be that great. Oh well, maybe I'm just Miss Grumpypants.

Also, people who have young children and talk to you like you are a young child as if they can't make the switch back to adult speak.

toriMODE
07-02-2010, 08:41 PM
When you are waiting in line at McDonald's at the register counter, and the people in front of you are goofing off and not paying attention, and then it's their turn to order, and they end up not knowing what they want. While the whole time you know precisely what you want. Grrrr!!!

SparkleMotion
07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Retail pet peeve:

Me: "What can I help you find today?"
Idiot customer: "Well, since I'm in a shoe store, I'm guessing...shoes?"

No shit, you dumbass! But what kind?? Sandals? Sneakers? Maybe you want a gift card or some socks. I'm not stupid, just asking some specifics.

Lathan
07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I hate when my hair is not at all the color I want it to be and I'm about to steal (wrong, I know, no lectures!) some hair dye from the grocery store and an ethnic woman stomps up and yells ebonics at me until I have to BUY the hair dye. Can you believe it?!?!?!?!

entropy
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I hate, hate, hate it when people bite the fork while eating. Actually, most of my pet peeves involve food (and obviously) are culturally dictated. I hate it when people chew with their mouth open, slurp and/or smack while eating. I don't want to hear you eat. Period.

menju56
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
^ YES. FORK-BITING. I'm like, doesn't that hurt your teeth?! And the scraping sound! Agh.

Stone
07-03-2010, 12:16 PM
FORK BITING. Ugh!

Probably mentioned before: slow walkers. Or people who stop in the middle of the sidewalk, just to say something completely stupid, or point at something completely stupid, completely unaware that they are in public. SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT TRAINED TO BE IN PUBLIC.
Just people blocking the way in general, no matter where/how/when.

Crying babies or kids, especially when their parents do nothing about it. I can't even begin to describe how irritated this makes me feel.

Kids in general.

Nancy
07-03-2010, 12:32 PM
People who get impatient when they have to wait five minutes in line. Cops who hang around outside Phish concerts with their little plastic handcuffs, waiting to shoot a few in the barrel for smoking a joint. Our local deli owner, whose idea of serving his country is serving an extra-large baloney sandwich with a side of American flags and a parade down Main Street. Come on man, you're a bullshit artist, I saw you creeping around at 7 in the morning buying a bag of day-old bagels from your competitor to serve in your shop. Why don't you care enough about your fellow countrymen to make fresh bagels for them?

somAiroTevoLI
07-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Slow walkers, suck. What's worse is when a group walks side by side and there's no way to pass. Single file line! You drive on the right here, well then, walk on the right and take the stairs on the right!

entropy
07-04-2010, 02:23 AM
I forgot one, LOUD BREATHERS. I am noticing a theme here. All have to do with mouth noise.

emptytuileries
07-04-2010, 02:45 AM
When the restaurant you work at (eleven hour shifts, mind you) closes in ten minutes and a dozen people decide to ignore the hours of business and come in anyway. Hello, I've been here since ten thirty this morning, but I would love nothing more than to serve you and your family.

And. When a party of thirty people leave a seven dollar tip. (The restaurant I work at doesn't do gratuity.)

Maeby
07-04-2010, 03:34 AM
I forgot one, LOUD BREATHERS. I am noticing a theme here. All have to do with mouth noise.

God, I couldn't agree with you more! There is always some man sitting in the waiting room of my therapist's office breathing through his mouth like he ran a marathon. I can only handle listening to that for so long. After bitching about it, my therapist asked me how I deal with it. I've come "this close" to yelling at the man, "Shut your fucking mouth and breath out of your god damn nose!" You know, I could probably get away with it in a therapist's waiting room. ;) Really though, I hate that fucking sound.

lacuna
07-04-2010, 03:37 AM
I too hate mouth breathers

SageBrushFire
07-04-2010, 03:46 AM
If you're smarter than a four-year-old then you ought to have some idea about spelling. I really lose my temper when people make simple mistakes. My head comes loose.
I know I shouldn't let it affect me but the effects of certain spelling mistakes make me livid. There are some that are very basic; when people do them I can't help but think that they're idiots, or maybe their heads are up their asses. I try not to be a grammar Nazi but sometimes it's just too much for me. I know it's silly considering all the mistakes I make myself, but I have no choice; the spelling monster inside me gets its kicks off making fun of grammatically ignorant people.

Regina Phalange
07-04-2010, 04:39 AM
I hope mouth-breathers choke on their forks when they scrape their teeth. Two birds, one stone. Especially if they then chew with their mouths open.

WTF is it about potato chips that makes people chomp on them? It is possible to eat them with your freaking mouth closed. YOU ARE NOT PAC-MAN. IT IS NOT A RACE.

Cuddlefish
07-04-2010, 05:14 AM
My boss does not know how to use a semi-colon.

He uses it like a fuckin' COMMA!!

Breaking basic grammar rules just irritates me. Grr.

SweetPea
07-04-2010, 06:53 AM
People who chew with their mouth open. People (my patients) who raid the fucking candy dish like it was put out just for them... plus those people who stand there and shove PIECE AFTER PIECE in their mouth! UGH!

Also, cars that have bass so loud that it shakes my office building. Hasn't that gone out of style yet?

wout
07-04-2010, 08:53 AM
-Spitting. I hate it when people spit. HATE.

I was just about to post that. I think I even facebooked about this last week... It's stupid, filthy, obnoxious and above all unnecessary.
I mean: be a man, like me, and SWALLOW!!!

SweetPea
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
old people who "drive" their carts at the grocery store/market like they drive their cars = slow and not watching for other people.
i was almost run over twice in a 30 minute shopping trip!... ALSO i was given the "stink eye" by an old lady who's cart i had to move when she had walked away from it and left it right in front of the oranges that i needed. exuuuuuse me!

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Mis-pronouncing words by ADDING LETTERS TO THEM.

See: Pap-UH-reeka (Paprika) or Drown-Ding (Drowning)

sara
07-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Mis-pronouncing words by ADDING LETTERS TO THEM.

See: Pap-UH-reeka (Paprika) or Drown-Ding (Drowning)

I think there are people in my hometown who are convinced it's "drownding". They also say "cousint".

Alizarin Crimson
07-06-2010, 01:30 AM
I've only encountered this while living in Colorado, but what is it with people that pronounce "across" as "acrost"? There is no T in across, dammit!

Pupate
07-06-2010, 01:44 AM
I hate when people put two exclamation marks at the end of their sentences. It just looks so wrong and unprofessional to me (especially if it's on a flyer or something). Three is acceptable, one is perfect, but two is horrid. I hate it!

Kala
07-06-2010, 05:17 AM
When people write "anywho" when they mean "anyhow". Why is this done?

Ryan
07-06-2010, 06:36 AM
I love this thread. I also love that it's mostly driving pet peeves. I drive at least 90 miles a day, sometimes twice that, and I hate everyone else I encounter on the road. I hate when the speed limit is 60 and the person in front of me is going 45, and after trying to pass them for ten minutes they manage to mosey through a yellow light, leaving me stuck at it. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! That should have been me up there and you back here, asshat. Or people who drive under the speed limit in the passing lane and wonder why I'm tailgating them. There was a great George Carlin bit about that.

My other pet peeves are sound-related. People who smack food or gum like a cow are the worst. My dad has bad hearing and he has no idea that he makes so much noise when he's eating. Worse yet, he eats so fast that he acts like he can't breathe, so in the middle of smacking and slurping his food, he's mouth-breathing. Also, the sound a dog makes when it's drinking water out of a bowl. [voodoo]

menju56
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I thought of another one: people who click their tongue when they are thinking of something. I just don't like it!

Lathan
07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Youths who wear their pants down around their thighs.
Oldies who wear their pants up around their ribs.

PANTS MODERATION!

Banjee
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
This continues to be my pet peeve: The bed of a pick-up truck IS NOT A FUCKING GARBAGE CAN. At least once a week, ONCE A F-ING WEEK, I'll walk to my pick-up and find: beer bottles or trashed bags of McDs or Newspapers or water bottles or straight up bags of trash. Sitting near my condo's window and with a bb gun and shooting the shit out of the next person I see dump something in my pick-up's bed.

My other car pet peeve is when street teams stick their flyers over my car. One person stuck a flyer to my car door, it rained that day and then in typical Miami fashion, the blazing sun came out right after the shower. Well, the flyer's ink bleed and baked over my car door, and til this day, two years later, the flyer's imprint is still on my door. If I ever want to resell my truck, I'm going to have to give it a paint job.

pan
07-06-2010, 02:35 PM
when I am ringing up a transaction and the customer starts to text. and then I tell them the total amount again and they say, "yep I know." and I am still waiting for 2 more minutes.

beKa
07-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought of another one: people who click their tongue when they are thinking of something. I just don't like it!

i hate that too!

beKa
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Youths who wear their pants down around their thighs.
Oldies who wear their pants up around their ribs.

PANTS MODERATION!

Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Lookin' like a foo wit yo pants on the ground!

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
A lot of my pet peeves involve my mother. One in particular that makes me batshit crazy mad is her insistence on celebrating birthdays ONLY ON THE PERSON'S BIRTHDAY, except, apparently, mine (her last two trips to Germany caused her to completely miss my birthday). Sometimes she will even manipulate me into thinking we're celebrating ahead (for example, celebrating my Dad's birthday this past Sunday instead of today), only to call me AFTER THE FACT and say, "So are you even going to try to do something for your father's birthday?" I'm like, "WTF? Didn't we just do that on Sunday?"

"Yes but Tuesday is his ACTUAL birthday"

"Well I have class Tuesday night, how about Wednesday?"

"No, let's go to lunch on his ACTUAL BIRTHDAY."

So I'm having to miss two hours of work (and my husband, too!!!) to drive 20 minutes out of the way to meet them for lunch. I love my Dad and I'm perfectly happy to see him and wish him Happy Birthday, I just hate my mother's fucking manipulations! ARGH!

SoulQuake
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Failure to properly merge into traffic.

I've come to the conclusion that Georgians and South Carolinians have no fucking clue how to merge into traffic on an Interstate, nor do they have any idea as to how to let someone else merge into traffic.

I was going to say this. More specifically when someone in front of me is trying to get on the interstate going 35 miles an hour, while the traffic on the interstate is going 75+. Are you trying to get us fucking killed?

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 04:00 PM
^ It's so frustrating! I also get irked when I'm trying to merge into traffic and the interstate is completely empty except for ONE FUCKTARD who will not get out of the right lane so that I can merge, so I have to either accelerate to some ridiculous speed or slam on the breaks in order to merge.

SoulQuake
07-06-2010, 04:00 PM
when I am ringing up a transaction and the customer starts to text. and then I tell them the total amount again and they say, "yep I know." and I am still waiting for 2 more minutes.

Are you serious? That's pretty bad. I always feel so rude if I come up to a cashier, etc, while on the phone, and I'll practically hang up on the person I'm talking to if necessary so I don't feel like a jackass.

Whappo
07-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Lots of people pull that shit. Or they'll answer their phone without excusing themselves while we're talking, and I have to just stand their like a moron while they discuss utter pap, finger in the air.

See also - people who let you put everything through a checkout and then go "oh I don't have the money on me" or "I have to go get something I forgot!" I don't have the authority to completely void a transaction once it's started, you cunt, and this completely disrupts everything while I get management to free up the till. Meanwhile, the growing queue of other customers gets angry at me for another customer being a fucking moron.

Other work-related pet peeves - drunk customers, people who drop their litter on the shop floor, people who let their kids run in and out of the store, a specific aggressive co-worker harassing a customer I'm putting through the till while other customers are left looking helpless elsewhere.

Braggarts.

People who talk about my sexuality more than I do.

Overexcitable people who squeal and start hitting everyone due to the smallest piece of news.

Oh, and this one twunt at the wedding I was at the other day who, instead of leaving me to my own devices, harangued me publicly and loudly demanded that I buy the bride a drink RIGHT NOW. Completely humiliating. "Did that break the fucking bank?" I'm going to break your fucking face.

Kari
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
I just wrote a blog post (http://www.myinflammatorywrit.com/2010/07/hovercraft.html) about one of my biggest pet peeves - girls who pee on toilet seats.

SageBrushFire
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
This continues to be my pet peeve: The bed of a pick-up truck IS NOT A FUCKING GARBAGE CAN. At least once a week, ONCE A F-ING WEEK, I'll walk to my pick-up and find: beer bottles or trashed bags of McDs or Newspapers or water bottles or straight up bags of trash. Sitting near my condo's window and with a bb gun and shooting the shit out of the next person I see dump something in my pick-up's bed.

My other car pet peeve is when street teams stick their flyers over my car. One person stuck a flyer to my car door, it rained that day and then in typical Miami fashion, the blazing sun came out right after the shower. Well, the flyer's ink bleed and baked over my car door, and til this day, two years later, the flyer's imprint is still on my door. If I ever want to resell my truck, I'm going to have to give it a paint job.

What the fuck? I'd throw trash on the ground before I'd stick it in a stranger's vehicle, and I would never throw trash on the ground. How does that even pop up as a possibility in someone's head?

Peeve: If you want to go the speed limit in the left lane (California) then fine. I can't complain, that's the law, I get it. But if you're the type of person who gets in the far left lane and goes 10 miles below the speed limit with a mile of clear space in front of you, go fuck yourself. Fuck yourself and die.

Kala
07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
People who have music on their website/blog. I stopped by to see your photos or read your words; not to listen to some obnoxious music blasting through my speakers.

Becka
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
^ this is a huge one for me. Photographers are SO guilty of it because it goes so well with their shitty flash gallery. which is another peeve of mine. websites built entirely in flash.

SageBrushFire
07-06-2010, 06:57 PM
People who have music on their website/blog. I stopped by to see your photos or read your words; not to listen to some obnoxious music blasting through my speakers.

YES!!!

Hey, Guess What, I was already listening to music on iTunes. I generally do when I browse the web. I don't want to hear some bullshit midi crap or wait for an MP3 to load on someone's website.

I don't mind when the sound is optional and you have the option to turn it off before hearing it, that's fine; I might wanna pause my iTunes and have a listen. But when I stumble onto a page and my ears are instantly molested by loud, cheap-sounding crap I just want to track down the website owner and stick ice picks in his/her ears!

^ Also yes, all-flash sites bug me too. It doesn't impress me that much and it's very annoying when they have a lot of bugs.

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
I just wrote a blog post (http://www.myinflammatorywrit.com/2010/07/hovercraft.html) about one of my biggest pet peeves - girls who pee on toilet seats.

The whole toilet-seating hovering just pisses me off to know end. It's the HOVERING that creates the germ problem, not the other way around. No one would have to hover if everyone would just sit their naked ass down on the toilet seat.

anj
07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
^ this is a huge one for me. Photographers are SO guilty of it because it goes so well with their shitty flash gallery. which is another peeve of mine. websites built entirely in flash.

^ DOUBLE YES!

my computer is slow already. i don't need your damn flash page dragging it down more!

[[dance]]

SageBrushFire
07-06-2010, 07:13 PM
^I'm not a female but I really don't get hovering.

It's not like you eat food with your butt cheeks. Who cares if they're dirty? Clean'um before the next time you do use'm for something. Unless you have open cuts on your butt there are very few nasties you could get from a toilet seat.

If you really want a solution, get some disinfectant or hand sanitizer and spray it on the seat first.

stillorbiting
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
My ex-boyfriend had a roommate who got PERIOD BLOOD on the toilet seat. Fucking period blood. How the hell do you not notice you did that before you leave the damn bathroom? I've never gotten any on the seat, but I feel like if I somehow managed to (which seems like it'd take considerable effort), I'd see it immediately and be like OH GOD EW and clean it up right away.

toriMODE
07-06-2010, 08:40 PM
^My roommate or one of her friends got PERIOD BLOOD on our bath mat. She still hasn't washed it.

TheTimm
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
^ It's so frustrating! I also get irked when I'm trying to merge into traffic and the interstate is completely empty except for ONE FUCKTARD who will not get out of the right lane so that I can merge, so I have to either accelerate to some ridiculous speed or slam on the breaks in order to merge.
Uh-oh. We have conflicting peeves! I get irked when I'm rolling along in the right lane with my cruise control set at the speed limit and the interstate is completely empty and the guy trying to merge can't be bothered to adjust his speed a little bit to avoid the ONE car in sight.

I was taught it's the responsibility of the merger to merge, not that it's the responsibility of the guy already on the highway to get out of his way. That being said, the guy already on the highway needs to maintain a relatively constant speed for this to work. If he tries to race you, or slows way the hell down to let you in, well that just makes it all more difficult. So if he does that, yeah, shoot his tires out. But if he's the only car in sight and doesn't do anything stupid, should be pretty easy to avoid him, no?

TheTimm
07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Another peeve: whistlers. I get the feeling that most people (at the least the ones I'm around) think they are much better whistlers than they actually are. Most of the time it just sounds like random noise. Like windchimes. Or a child banging on piano keys. Not crazy about either of those either!

SweetPea
07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Peeve: Those Kit-Kat commercials where they use the sound of people biting into the candy/eating as part of the "music" in the ads... it makes me mute the TV every time! I would love to meet the person in their marketing dept who thought of this ad and slap them across the face.

Kala
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
My ex-boyfriend had a roommate who got PERIOD BLOOD on the toilet seat. Fucking period blood. How the hell do you not notice you did that before you leave the damn bathroom? I've never gotten any on the seat, but I feel like if I somehow managed to (which seems like it'd take considerable effort), I'd see it immediately and be like OH GOD EW and clean it up right away.

It's happened a couple of times to me if it's very heavy. You know, getting not just regular blood, but PERIOD BLOOD on a toilet seat. Comes off pretty easily with soap and hot water afterward. No.Big.Deal.

menju56
07-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Public toilets spawn many a pet peeve.

Is there something wrong with the flush handle? Do you find your own shit/piss too icky to wipe off a seat? Is there any reason why soaked tissue paper is on the floor as opposed to a bin/toilet (which then should be flushed)?

stillorbiting
07-06-2010, 10:33 PM
It's happened a couple of times to me if it's very heavy. You know, getting not just regular blood, but PERIOD BLOOD on a toilet seat. Comes off pretty easily with soap and hot water afterward. No.Big.Deal.

No big deal if you're the one cleaning it up, absolutely. But leaving it there for other people to deal with is beyond gross. That's all I meant.

beKa
07-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Speaking of public restroom horrors, at work one of the girls in my office stepped in poo in the women's bathroom. She complained to building management, who then told her that happens every week. HOW?!?!??!?

eednic
07-07-2010, 02:05 AM
WUT? I've never stepped in poo at work.

One time in a Dallas club there was poop on the floor. I never did understand how it got there.

My public restroom/work restroom pet peeve is that people do not clean up after themselves after using the sink. We have this dark granite countertop and it's always got water all over it. I think it would be nice if you leave a rather large mess near the sink for you to wipe it up. If it's just a drop or two, no big deal but some people apparently wash their hands with wild abandon and leave water EVERYWHERE.

Maeby
07-07-2010, 02:14 AM
^My roommate or one of her friends got PERIOD BLOOD on our bath mat. She still hasn't washed it.

What? And you haven't washed it either? Ewwwww.

Brian
07-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Foods touching each other on a plate is an ABOMINATION.

Amen.

Arcata has narrow sidewalks, and groups of college students seem to think it looks cool to amble in large groups down them shoulder-to-shoulder. Oftentimes on my breaks during the regular school year, I mostly walk in the bike lanes. Motherfuckers.

And this applies in grocery stores too! If you ain't moving, don't take up the entire motherfucking aisle. I don't give a rat's ass how many children you have. I want to get in and out, goddamn it!

my biggest pet peeve is loud cellphone conversations in public. Particularly in a small, enclosed area like an elevator or the bus. Everyone is forced to listen to what you have to say and trust me, none of us care in the slightest. Cellphones have created an environment where people not only feel that what they have to say is important, but that it can't wait 15-20 minutes until they're in a more private area.

I don't understand why the hands-free sets seem to make people talk twice as loud. People who wander into the lobby at work shouting at whoever they're talking to while I'm trying to hear the little old lady who barely whispers at the counter: I want to shoot them. And if people continue to talk on their phones when they reach the counter, I do not feel badly staring at them as if they are made entirely of dogshit and the smell is overpowering.

Me: Hello, welcome to [place of business].
Customer: Hello, how are you?
Me: I'm fine, how are...
Customer: Just fine?

alfkdjfkldj omg I'm just exchanging pleasantries motherfucker. People say this to me all damn day I can't think of something new and exciting every single time.

I must be incredibly cynical because I also can't stand overly nice people. People who are so sacharrine it makes my teeth hurt. Your day can't always be that great. Oh well, maybe I'm just Miss Grumpypants.

I want to be honest: "It's a beautiful day, and I'm stuck in here at a job I mostly despise dealing with people like you, so actually I'm pretty crappy, how about you?" Generally I try to ignore the question. I find most people just move right along because they don't really give a damn how you are anyway, which is just fine by me. But occasionally someone will get annoyed by me not wanting to exchange pleasantries and either repeat the question or stare until I respond. I kinda hate the starers.

I love this thread. I also love that it's mostly driving pet peeves. I drive at least 90 miles a day, sometimes twice that, and I hate everyone else I encounter on the road. I hate when the speed limit is 60 and the person in front of me is going 45, and after trying to pass them for ten minutes they manage to mosey through a yellow light, leaving me stuck at it. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! That should have been me up there and you back here, asshat. Or people who drive under the speed limit in the passing lane and wonder why I'm tailgating them. There was a great George Carlin bit about that.

If you take longer than a mile to pass someone, you have no fucking business being in the fast lane. And I don't give a shit if you don't like that the person behind you is speeding, get out of their way. I will never understand some people (and there are some in my family) who feel it's their job to piss off people who want to pass them, as if speeding were the worst goddamn thing in the world. They'll pull even with the person in the slow lane and then just sit there. You're aggravating someone who you know nothing about! Where is the logic in that? And hey, maybe they legitimately have somewhere to be, like right now! Most likely not, sure, but how do you know they're not racing to the hospital/school/home to help or be with someone they care about? It's their deal if they get a ticket, not yours, and more accidents are caused by people driving too slow, than too fast, dontcha know? And they could do something real stupid like drive on the shoulder or into a turn lane to get around you, which makes things even more awesome. And if you just let them by, hey it's all over real quick, and you can still feel self-righteous, without having an annoyance aneurysm for 10 minutes.

"Why's he riding me so close, the asshole?"

"Because you're purposely antagonizing him, dipshit! Get out of the goddamn way!"

Brian
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Oh, and here's one that's annoying me right now: Do not force me to join your stupid fucking website in order to buy something from you! I have never heard of you before and I won't be browsing regularly, but a band I kind of like put a limited download on your site and I'd like to hear it, but I'm not filling out two fucking pages of info to hear a couple goddamn songs, ffs. If the band puts something else out through you (which isn't all that likely since they're signed to someone else), I'll get back to you through them, not by your stupid fucking e-mail updates. Link me to Paypal, or let me put in my payment info directly. Do not make me choose a fucking username, do not make me select a fucking password. If I ever return, I will have forgotten them by then, and there's no fucking way I'm writing them down. And no, I do not want you to fucking e-mail them to me. Fuck you.

Regina Phalange
07-07-2010, 02:48 AM
Arcata has narrow sidewalks, and groups of college students seem to think it looks cool to amble in large groups down them shoulder-to-shoulder. Oftentimes on my breaks during the regular school year, I mostly walk in the bike lanes. Motherfuckers.

Last week I went for a walk. There was a sidewalk that was kind of narrow, but not impassable. I was by myself. Two other women were walking coming from the other direction, side by side. Do they get in single file so we can pass comfortably? NO. One gets in front and the other gets half behind and brushes me when she walks past and they both give me a "why didn't you move?" look. WTF? There's just one of me. I'm not walking on someone's lawn so you two don't have to separate for 3 seconds.

lacuna
07-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Overexcitable people who squeal and start hitting everyone due to the smallest piece of news.

[/I]

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HyJThYsoD8

Thought of another:

People who leave their trash at the movie theater.

Seriously, is it so damn hard to pick up your empty popcorn bag and place it in the provided trash can?

Wait, let me change that to people who just can't seem to pick up after themselves in any circumstance. Movie theater, restaurants, parks, etc. This also include people who throw their fucking cigarette butts out the car window. Stop it!! Especially if it's still lit.

sara
07-07-2010, 04:06 AM
I was reminded of one of another one: people who have giant backpacks/purses/bags on transit and insist on walking around wearing them, and end up beating people sitting down in the face and head as they shove their way through the crowds. It's especially irritating when they glare at you after it happens, like you just molested their bag. Some quiff on the train nailed me in the head one day and gave me the "ugh, how DARE you" look and I almost said "oh sorry, did my head damage your 2 foot long backpack? Quick, check it over for injuries!"

Stone
07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
People talking [or trying to] on their cellphone at a club.

Whappo
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
And this applies in grocery stores too! If you ain't moving, don't take up the entire motherfucking aisle. I don't give a rat's ass how many children you have. I want to get in and out, goddamn it!
I just get angry at everyone in supermarkets. People who do about turns with their trolleys mid-aisle, people who stop to have conversations, people who come to dead stops and look aimlessly around, people who drag their feet, people who stand too close to me, people who don't get out of my way. Also, the man who hit me with his basket last week and said sorry as if it was a question or he wasn't really sure, and then gave me evils because I ignored his half-arsed apology. And anyone with children, particularly those they let run around, get in my way, and get their own way. The correct answer to "MUUUUMMMYYYYYY I WANT A BAG OF COOKIIIIEEES" is not "okay honey", and the correct response to a child just throwing stuff into your trolley without asking is not to ignore it. You disgust me.

Wait, let me change that to people who just can't seem to pick up after themselves in any circumstance. Movie theater, restaurants, parks, etc. This also include people who throw their fucking cigarette butts out the car window. Stop it!! Especially if it's still lit.
My brother does this! The leaving trash everywhere. When he gets home he empties his litter from lunch onto the kitchen table. Half a metre from the bin. Then leaves it for someone else to move. He also puts cigarette butts in mugs and glasses (gross).

He also has no desire to learn how to cook cleanly and thoughtfully, and it's the worst thing ever. He'll make a huge mess and just ignore it. He'll leave food he's decided he doesn't want, even if this means leaving something to catch fire in the oven (let's just set fire to money ffs). Similarly, he can't figure out portion sizes before cooking - last night he made up a fuckload of spaghetti and ended up using only half of it. The rest went in the bin. He does the same with meat! And then he complains that there's no food when it's everyone else who suffers from it all going in the bin once he's had his fill.

eta: oh, and he has NO CONCEPT of how much oil to cook with. Never mind that minced beef requires little to no oil to cook due to the fat being marbled through it (AS I HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN), he'll use liberal splashes of extra virgin olive oil. £££!

This also brings me to people who don't read instructions! You guys, when you repeatedly fuck something up, perhaps consult the instructions. My brother does not believe in temperature control when it comes to cooking. 200C for 20 minutes? How about MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE for however long I feel like! It won't be cooked through and it'll be burnt on the outside, but I'm just going to leave the room and let you guys deal with the damage. Will I even come back to check on the food? Probably not. Fire make food fast. Pow!

Dick.

JayPeaches
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
People who leave their trash at the movie theater.

Seriously, is it so damn hard to pick up your empty popcorn bag and place it in the provided trash can?

This drives me crazy, too. It's SO EASY to just grab your stuff and dump it in the trash on your way out. Easy, easy, easy. I feel like people purposely don't do that out of a sense of entitlement or something.

---

Another thing that makes me absolutely crazy, and which I will do everything I can to rectify, is PEOPLE WHO DON'T RETURN THEIR GROCERY CARTS at the Supermarket (here in the states we don't have those spiffy coin-operated carts like they do at mini-marts and such in Germany, it's just a fucking grocery cart free-for-all). It's sheer laziness!

There have been times when I've parked in a perfectly clear parking spot, only to come back to my car and find a grocery cart in my spot. Touching my car. I just want to fucking scream! I will usually grab any rogue carts I pass on my way through the parking lot and put them back, because it makes me THAT mad. And I can't tell you how many dirty looks I've given people who push their carts off to the side before hopping in the car and driving off. How hard is it to walk 4 fucking feet to return the cart to the cart holding area? I don't understand why people don't just do it!

SageBrushFire
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Uh-oh. We have conflicting peeves! I get irked when I'm rolling along in the right lane with my cruise control set at the speed limit and the interstate is completely empty and the guy trying to merge can't be bothered to adjust his speed a little bit to avoid the ONE car in sight.

I was taught it's the responsibility of the merger to merge, not that it's the responsibility of the guy already on the highway to get out of his way. That being said, the guy already on the highway needs to maintain a relatively constant speed for this to work. If he tries to race you, or slows way the hell down to let you in, well that just makes it all more difficult. So if he does that, yeah, shoot his tires out. But if he's the only car in sight and doesn't do anything stupid, should be pretty easy to avoid him, no?

Yeah it all depends on where you live. In California it's generally pretty easy to merge unless they're are a bunch of Trucks (I know they make modern life possible but I think there's some rule where only complete assholes are allowed to be truckers). In Texas, god help you and good luck. Sometimes there's as little as 50 feet of space to merge before that lane is dead and gone. The saving grace is that traffic is not bad at all in Texas except for directly within the really big cities. Once you're out of city limits it's usually free and clear.

I hate both. I get annoyed when I can't merge because people want to race me and I get just as annoyed when some ass-hat decides to just jump on in the freeway without looking and I have to swerve in between lanes to keep from dying.

JayPeaches
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
OH! I have another one:

People who cling to old school myths and notions about health that are completely stupid and untrue.

I live in Georgia. It is HOT here. Over the weekend, we stayed at T's mother's vacation home at the lake along with some other family members. His SIL said to the kids, "You cannot sleep all night under that fan, you'll catch your death of cold!" She was totally freaking out and told them they had better not turn the fan on while she was asleep.

SERIOUSLY?! I've been sleeping under a fan running on high speed for 32 fucking years. I'm alive.

Lathan
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
I hate when predatory pedophiles release all manner of suicidal animals at my car in hopes of getting me to hit one and pull over and forget about my childrens. As if. LIKE I'D STOP, CHESTER! The annoying part is (after locking my childrens in our panic nursery) having to hose all manner of gore and goo off my car. Yuck.

eednic
07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I hate when predatory pedophiles release all manner of suicidal animals at my car in hopes of getting me to hit one and pull over and forget about my childrens. As if. LIKE I'D STOP, CHESTER! The annoying part is (after locking my childrens in our panic nursery) having to hose all manner of gore and goo off my car. Yuck.

Ugh! That happens to me every time I drive near the Texas Capitol.

toriMODE
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Add-ons

When someone ask you to do something, and then you do it, but then they bring out a list of things for to add-onto what you were already doing for them. Hate that so badly!

NUHN
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
The grocery store is a veritable landmine of pet peeves, as we've seen in this thread. One that irritates me is people who hover around in their cars waiting for a close enough spot. Or break their neck to get the spot that's close enough for them, even though there are tons of available ones just a few spots back. I can understand when it's an elderly or handicapped person, but, there's no reason a healthy thirty year old or whatever has to waste gas and be in everybody's way circling the parking lot lanes over and over trying to find that magical first parking spot closest to the door. And then they get out of the car and you realize walking the extra forty feet might not be such a bad idea for them.

NUHN
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Oh also, fucking Walgreens! Or any store that has all this elaborate coupon deals and special cards and special sales THAT NEVER RING UP RIGHT AT THE REGISTER. Or confuse old people. Inevitably when I go into Walgreen's I'm just grabbing one thing, but I have to stand there and wait while they get out that week's ad and figure out if the Skittles really are 2 for 1 or if it was only the lemonheads and so on.

And on a similar note, it used to drive me crazy when people would be buying lottery tickets ahead of me in the gas station line. I just want to pay for my gas but I have to wait and wait because you want 3 Lucky Roulettes and 4 Scratch offs and 6 whatever the fuck it is. Admittedly I think wasting your money on lottery tickets is fucking stupid, so that's part of my judgement. Thanks to the coming of debit cards and stuff I just pay for my gas outside at the pump now. But every once in a while I still run into the lottery cartel when I have to go inside.

Regina Phalange
07-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I can understand when it's an elderly or handicapped person, but, there's no reason a healthy thirty year old or whatever has to waste gas and be in everybody's way circling the parking lot lanes over and over trying to find that magical first parking spot closest to the door. And then they get out of the car and you realize walking the extra forty feet might not be such a bad idea for them.
I like to park slightly towards the back. I save a huge amount of time circling for a spot. Since it's not as crowded, I can usually get out of the spot when I'm done a lot quicker, as there is no one to look out for when backing up or I could pull through in the first place. Every time I park close at the grocery store, I spend more time trying to leave that I curse myself for forgetting to park in the middle-back.

Frangipani
07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
RE: Kari's blog a few pages back...

OMG that bed bug link squicked me out. That's one of the biggest things holding me back from renting in Manhattan. How can I be sure the building/entire floor isnt infested with various pests? How can I be sure I dont have super mega horrible asshole neighbors?

I've lived in apartment situations (in san francisco in some really ghetto areas), I am aware it's the city so I have to take a certain amount of shit to live there, but I need some sort of control over how much shit i take. I wish they offered trial periods before you decided to move. Baw

Crazy Don
07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
And on a similar note, it used to drive me crazy when people would be buying lottery tickets ahead of me in the gas station line. I just want to pay for my gas but I have to wait and wait because you want 3 Lucky Roulettes and 4 Scratch offs and 6 whatever the fuck it is. Admittedly I think wasting your money on lottery tickets is fucking stupid, so that's part of my judgement. Thanks to the coming of debit cards and stuff I just pay for my gas outside at the pump now. But every once in a while I still run into the lottery cartel when I have to go inside.

Not only that, when I go and get my lottery tickets, I have to stand behind someone buying lots and lots of Pick 3 tickets, probably for him/herself! I wouldn't mind if that person was buying them for others, but hogging up the line just to buy your scads of Pick 3 tickets when I just want $1 each of Mega Millions, Powerball, and the local lotto game!

HumptyDumpty
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
People sitting/standing too close to me when I'm eating.... :-/

Close-standers in general, especially when I'm in line for something.

People coughing without covering their mouths.

Spitting.

I agree with Menju... slow walkers. I'm not saying people need to be in a hurry, but a good even pace is not that difficult. Also, when someone is walking in front of you, then suddenly stops for some reason to either check their phone, or look at a sign. Just... be aware of your surroundings. That's all I ask.

People who talk during movies/shows. Or who make abrupt noises.

Oy, I had better stop there... the list goes on.

Whappo
07-08-2010, 12:29 AM
People sitting/standing too close to me when I'm eating.... :-/

Close-standers in general, especially when I'm in line for something.
When I was on my lunch break the other day someone came up to me and thrust her grubby hand in my face going "does [xyz] product smell fishy to you today?" GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OUT OF MY FACE AND LEAVE ME ALONE, IT'S MY BREAK AND I HAVE FOOD HERE. I also hate people poking their nose over my shoulder and commenting on what I've got for lunch. It's not that I'm an antisocial eater (well, not JUST that I'm an antisocial eater), it's that my lunch break is 30 minutes in which to pretend I am somewhere else with my lovely food and a book.

I'm just a really angry person in general, I think.

entropy
07-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Oh also, fucking Walgreens! Or any store that has all this elaborate coupon deals and special cards and special sales THAT NEVER RING UP RIGHT AT THE REGISTER. Or confuse old people. Inevitably when I go into Walgreen's I'm just grabbing one thing, but I have to stand there and wait while they get out that week's ad and figure out if the Skittles really are 2 for 1 or if it was only the lemonheads and so on.

You have described all of my experiences at Walgreens. I no longer think of it as an in/out place.

Another peeve? When people have no idea how to form a line.

Becka
07-08-2010, 03:38 AM
I really hate when I order something a week ago that is listed in stock has a shipping date of July 23rd. If it's in stock it shouldn't take near 3 weeks to ship ffs

Stumpy
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Andrew I'm going to kill your brother. Wastefulness is my absolutely biggest peeve. The word "peeve" is almost belittling to the amount of rage it causes me. Why can't he put his stuff in the fridge and have leftovers? It is such an immature and selfish attitude to have and if I had my way he'd be eating through a fucking tube.

Also people who buy Danish bacon. Or Tesco Value meat and also Tesco Finest cake. That is some fucked up priorities right there. I LOOK IN YOUR SHOPPING TROLLEY AND JUDGE YOU.

Lágnætti
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I When he gets home he empties his litter from lunch onto the kitchen table. Half a metre from the bin. Then leaves it for someone else to move. He also puts cigarette butts in mugs and glasses (gross).

I once shared a flat with someone who upon finding the kitchen bin full and in need of emptying, used to simply place their rubbish - food waste included- on the floor, by the side of the bin. I say used to because the two of us mature enough to actually understand that if you live in a place, you share all the chores of the place, got on her case so badly she stopped doing it. After that, she'd change the bin but leave the full bag by the side of the bin for me or the other girl to actually take out. So we had to cure her of that little habit too. It was like dealing with a very slow, surly small child, except that she was a 24 year-old American college graduate. Don't even start me on the fact that she had to be physically shown how to wield a sponge and clean a bathroom.

Pet peeve: idiots who think they're too good or smart or 'busy' for housework. Fuck off and live in your own filth then. Don't attempt sharing space with others because they will hate you and start to dream about setting fire to you as you sleep.

He'll leave food he's decided he doesn't want, even if this means leaving something to catch fire in the oven (let's just set fire to money ffs).

What the hell? He could conceivably burn the entire house down doing that. Why hasn't your mum ripped off his arm and beaten him to death with the wet end yet?

SageBrushFire
07-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I hate when I think of something really awesome or unique and instead of writing it down I just say to myself "Oh that's so bad-ass, I'll never forget." Then, weeks later, all I can remember are the feelings of accomplishment; the idea is long gone.

I JUST WANT TO KICK MY OWN ASS!

Perky Compson
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
He also puts cigarette butts in mugs and glasses (gross).

My ex does this, except the glasses usually have about a centimeter of coffee left in them, and then he lets them sit for days before getting around to washing them. I used to joke that he was cultivating bacteria cultures but really, it was just plain gross. Especially when the coffee-cigarette combo began growing putrid, lumpy mold.

iamstilljamiepoo
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
^
My parents do that. It's fucking sick.
Also, that whole parking thing? Correct me if I am wrong, but if there is a car driving in a parking lot, on what planet can you just back out of a space when that fucking car is coming down the aisle? I know a lot of people assume that you want that space, but really. Come on! I want to throw shit at people when they do that.

Stone
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM
^ E.W.

Yesterday I lived my pet peeve once more- went to the movies with the boy and, since the mechanic stairs are all the other way around the plaza (obviously, so you [read: lazy] would walk around it and look at the stores), I thought it would be smarter and healthier to walk the regular stairs. . . Well, right in front of us, there was a couple (horribly dressed, but that's a whole 'nother story) and they were holding hands, and by holding hands, I mean blocking the way to everyone behind them. And they could tell, because they would turn around, and look at the people HAVING TO WALK SLOW because they just had to show their affection ahead of the fucking line. They just had to hold each other's paws.

I was right behind them, so I tell the boy, "hey, let's hold hands and block everyone behind us. That would be smart". They heard me and kept on blocking the way. Idiots.

Another: people who raise lazy/stupid kids. Hell, it's ok to have your fucking kid walk a block or half a block. You don't have to park WHERE IT DOESN'T PERTAIN TO YOU just because your kid is coming back from McDonalds and you consider it a sacrilege that the fatty burn those calories by walking a few feet.

Whappo
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Also people who buy Danish bacon. Or Tesco Value meat and also Tesco Finest cake. That is some fucked up priorities right there. I LOOK IN YOUR SHOPPING TROLLEY AND JUDGE YOU.
I buy Tesco Value chicken, but this is because Douglas uses it too and he does not deserve nice stuff, and also I don't buy Tesco Finest stuff because I'm not paying a pound more for silver packaging. Oh also I have no ethics.

What the hell? He could conceivably burn the entire house down doing that. Why hasn't your mum ripped off his arm and beaten him to death with the wet end yet?
I KNOW, RIGHT? I've woken up to a house full of smoke before! My parents have become really uninvolved when it comes to this kind of shit with him. Unfortunately he's now old enough that my mother's rules don't hold much water with him, and she's - quite rightly - off having her own life. At the moment I'm here to run around like a blue-arsed fly and deal with this shit, but I do wonder what'll happen come September.

Stumpy
07-08-2010, 08:50 PM
I buy Tesco Value chicken, but this is because Douglas uses it too and he does not deserve nice stuff, and also I don't buy Tesco Finest stuff because I'm not paying a pound more for silver packaging. Oh also I have no ethics.

:|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrnUvh9vUXo

1m 20s. Come on. There's absolutely no justification.

Whappo
07-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah I'm a pretty bad person.

I do buy free range eggs though, they have little cartoon hens on them and the cartoon hens look really happy. It's kind of suspicious.

Stumpy
07-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Is that the Happy Egg Co.? Ahaha presh.

I buy free range organic, when I'm not getting them from my aunt's free range hens. Suck it, Turk.

Whappo
07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, Happy Egg Co.! And yes, I also get eggs from a friend's friend sometimes. I mean I assume they are hen's eggs.

Regina Phalange
07-09-2010, 02:25 AM
When I was on my lunch break the other day someone came up to me and thrust her grubby hand in my face going "does [xyz] product smell fishy to you today?" GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OUT OF MY FACE AND LEAVE ME ALONE, IT'S MY BREAK AND I HAVE FOOD HERE. I also hate people poking their nose over my shoulder and commenting on what I've got for lunch. It's not that I'm an antisocial eater (well, not JUST that I'm an antisocial eater), it's that my lunch break is 30 minutes in which to pretend I am somewhere else with my lovely food and a book.

At my last job, I gave up trying to eat in the building. "Whatcha reading? Is it good? I'm reading xyz." I love to talk about books, but not while I am literally trying to read that very second. Most of my coworkers were commissioned and my bosses were all salaried, so none of them understood the concept of being hourly and off the clock. If I ever said to anyone "I'm on lunch and I'll get to you when I come back," they'd all go whining about how I wasn't a team player. I had to actually explain to one of my bosses that it wasn't appropriate for her to attempt to reprimand me for telling a coworker to ask someone else for assistance when not only was I at lunch, but i was in the kitchen, using the toaster oven. And it wasn't like I was bitchy and it wasn't like it wasn't absolutely clear that I was on lunch.

So after that I ate in my car. Then of course people would always be like "why do you always leave?" and I couldn't say "Because you people can't live without me if you can sense my presence in the building." And it's funny, but if I left for an hour, there wouldn't be a crisis waiting for me when I got back or anyone trying to track me down while I was gone. If I was out of sight, i was out of mind.

For years, I'd eat in my car, sitting in some random parking lot, all contorted and uncomfortable, but mostly just happy to be alone.

And too, when I did eat there, I'd get comments about my lunch. It was like a pre-requisite to being hired was to make small talk all the time.

Stone
07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
^ Speaking fo work, and something I'm sure happens to all or most of you:
People telling me what I have to do, when I know what I have to do, and am doing it.

(Not much of a pet peeve but since we're talking about work: my boss is so incompetent it hurts).

Pete!
07-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I was right behind them, so I tell the boy, "hey, let's hold hands and block everyone behind us. That would be smart". They heard me and kept on blocking the way. Idiots.

I'm going to give you a little tip that you might find helps you a lot in life. If this ever happens again, instead of trying to be a clever dick, say something like, "Excuse us, we'd like to get by". You'll find this is far more effective than being a cock to a stranger.

Stone
07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
^ You're probably right.

sara
07-09-2010, 08:24 PM
People who spell/say "espresso" as "expresso".

Lathan
07-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Ek cetera!

menju56
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
The mispronunciation of "Mischievous" as "mischievious" to the point where I begin to doubt myself as to whether the first version is even correct.

Lágnætti
07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I have the whole 30 minute lunch/people noseying at my food deal going on at work too. I bring a lot of home-cooked stuff that people are very complimentary about so i can't really be rude about it but having people in my face about it wanting to know what every ingredient is and how I cooked it can really aggravate me on days when I just want to be left alone to decompress a bit over lunch.

Oh, it's not really a peeve so much as incomprehension; people thinking I'm a vegetarian and referring to me as such even after they've been told I'm not AND have personally observed me eating meat on several occasions. It's just weird.

Cunter Fartlett
07-09-2010, 09:55 PM
The mispronunciation of "Mischievous" as "mischievious" to the point where I begin to doubt myself as to whether the first version is even correct.

We had that conversation the other day. My boyfriend always says Mischievous with the "i" at the end. I told him it wasn't correct, then we argued to the point where I thought maybe I was wrong, so I had to look it up when we got home. THANK GOD I WAS RIGHT! IN YOUR FACE, BOOYAH.

Anyway, yeah, saying "expresso" or "expecially" or "excape" all bug the ever-loving shit out of me.

Zomino
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Sara, you've opened a pronunciation can of worms!

When our is pronounced like are (arze instead of ours)
Supposively!
Warshington (my mom, who is a native Washingtonian, says this)
People who pronounce the T in often
Axe rather than ask

Also, when someone misspells my name via email - my name is right there in the TO: field, how can you get it wrong???
Also, when people overuse corporate lingo to sound more professional/smart.

SparkleMotion
07-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Exscape instead of escape.

sara
07-09-2010, 10:05 PM
"Let me axe you a question".

menju56
07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Supposably
Ireland pronounced as Island

Cunter Fartlett
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Hahahaha my niece used "supposably" in a facebook update the other day. I corrected her and she deleted my comment. Then reposted with the correct word. She's also a college student. *eye roll*

menju56
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
^ ;l

Another one: "Skellington."

entropy
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I am forgiving when it comes to pronunciation except for "tenny-shoes" and "kennygarden" (tennis shoes and Kindergarten)

Churumbela
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Supposively!

I don't think I've ever heard that one before! I hear "supposably" all the time, and it's so hard not to correct people.

sara
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
This (sadly common) dialogue sends me into fits:

"This mosquito bite/bug bite/whatever is driving me crazy"
"Well itch it and make it stop"

YOU DO NOT ITCH AN ITCH. YOU SCRATCH AN ITCH.

Whappo
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
People around here switch "lend" and "borrow" and it's pretty annoying. "I'll borrow you it!" No, you will lend me it.

I correct people who say "nuclear" because I find it amusing. "Nucular! It's pronounced nucular."

I also explained "Tully and I/me and Tully" (for it is she who explains the rule best) to a woman today and she didn't get it, said "you should be able to say what you want to, it doesn't make a difference", and then lost the rag when I said "the difference is that one is incorrect in this case." Pow!

Michael Michael
07-09-2010, 11:01 PM
usually I hate when I hear people correcting someone's spoken english (depends -- a semantic correction is usually good to make -- but syntactical or grammatical corrections of someone's spoken language irk me. pronunciation corrections just gets my blood boiling). often it's just cultural hegemony and linguistic whitewashing, if you ask me. dialectical differences are neat and they're disappearing so fast.

for example, my mother sometimes drops/adds her haitches ('air on your 'ead / breath of fresh hair) and I think it's wonderful. She's ashamed and tries not to do it, and feels embarrassed when it happens. I think she should be proud of the way she speaks and not auto-repress; it's an expression of her culture, it's a part of her dialect. What an awful world it'd be if everyone talked like they were middle-upper class people from Ohio.

I mean, in what other aspect of culture would it be acceptable to demand that everyone conform to a homogenic standard? so what if "are" and "our" are homophones for some people? fucking hell, do you also think everyone should wear the same style of clothing or listen to the same type of music?

Whappo
07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Yeah, pretty sure I say "are/our" sometimes, and various other bad things. It really grinds my gears when people try and 'correct' accents and dialects. Lots of Southerners at uni would try and take people to task for using a harsh 'a' in "bath" and "grass" - AWFUL.

Also, I should add that my grammatical correction above followed said person attempting (and failing) to correct someone else's grammar. Also, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Sometimes people aren't expressing their culture, they're just morons who are misusing words and not making any sense.

Regina Phalange
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I also explained "Tully and I/me and Tully" (for it is she who explains the rule best) to a woman today and she didn't get it, said "you should be able to say what you want to, it doesn't make a difference", and then lost the rag when I said "the difference is that one is incorrect in this case." Pow!

What makes me freaking nuts is when a "smart" character on tv does it. On Castle the other night, he used "she and I" when it was supposed to be "me and her." You know, people trying to be so smart they NEVER use me with him, her, or them because somehow it's wrong 100% of the time? argh. But what really bugged me is that Castle is a pedantic, successful author. If he existed, he likely wouldn't have made that mistake. While I can live with bad grammar in some cases, it totally kills the mood for me if someone who should know better (Frasier, West Wing Staff, Law & Order lawyers) can't differentiate between direct and indirect objects and subjects and verbs and 8th grade grammar.

Michael Michael
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
yeah. that's why I tried to make some distinction at the start of my previous post. if it's a correction of meaning (like "hamlet is shakespeare's penultimate tragedy!" or "I could care less") then go for it. if it's a correction of grammar or syntax . . . . eh, maybe. I guess it depends on context. the thing about spoken speech is it's fluid and usually not premeditated. Who would be 'correct' all the time, if their everyday speech was transcribed exactly as spoken?

if you're gonna be criticizin' people's vowel sounds, though . . . !

entropy
07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
In my unguarded speech the letter r, are, our are all pronounced the same. Do I care? Nope. I am from the southern USA, but have spent many years in the West/Midwest. My speech model was my mother who has some speech problem that makes her unable to exactly reproduce what she hears. All of this taken with the fact that I have spent the last 6 years studying linguistics and have come to accept a descriptive instead of prescriptive attitude of language/dialects. That said, Kennygarten and tennyshoes still get on my nerves, but I would never correct someone.

Bluebell
07-10-2010, 05:52 AM
I hate it when people you don't know well (a coworker you hardly talk to, an acquaintance, etc), happen to be in a public washroom when you are and insist upon making small talk through the stall door as you're peeing. I hardly talk to you as it is; I don't need to make awkward small talk with you over the sound of my urinating. I have a shy bladder, people. :p This happened today with one of my office's contract workers when she started asking me what I've been reading lately as I was in the stall. ....What?

clarion
07-10-2010, 06:19 AM
^ Oh no. Bathroom conversations are inevitably awkward.

Which brings me to something that really annoys me: loud cell phone talkers in bathroom stalls. I don't know when this became acceptable nor do I know why it always seems to happen to me, but I really don't need to hear your conversation during my piss break.

somAiroTevoLI
07-10-2010, 09:21 AM
When someone tells me to smile. It's a fucking insult. And stay out of my personal space. If I can smell you, you are too close.

Lágnætti
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, pretty sure I say "are/our" sometimes, and various other bad things. It really grinds my gears when people try and 'correct' accents and dialects. Lots of Southerners at uni would try and take people to task for using a harsh 'a' in "bath" and "grass" - AWFUL.

Wow, I was just talking with a Scouser at work about that yesterday. She'd had some awful experience with a cunt of a barmaid in Kent who kept asking her to repeat the phrase 'glass of lager' so she could titter at the short 'a' in 'glass'. My co-worker being who she is, the experience ended badly. For the barmaid. But! You know my accent, right? I'm allegedly 'posh', right? I've had exactly the same thing from fucking southerers who clearly don't get out much as they appear to find anything other than southern-posh or estuary nasal deeply strange and distubing. The father of a friend of mine back at Uni once spent a dinner trying to get me to repeat words that to his mind should have a long 'a' sound and which as a northerener I pronounce with a short 'a' - glass, aunt etc. Then he starts asking me, no kidding, to say 'Cleopatra'. Then we moved onto 'bun' which is apparently highlarious when said by someone like me.

The whole charade was and is always clearly meant to reinforce the whole southern superiority complex that many of them (in SE England, specifically) seem to have, though fuck knows why as you'd have to pay me to live in the shitholes half these people inhabit. It's totally pathetic.

Whappo
07-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes! And you've heard me speak, I'm easily mistaken as posh and Southern, but I still use short 'a' sounds and people asking you to say certain words because you pronounce them all funny like is the worst. There's a woman at work who will spend an age trying to get me to say certain words because I don't pronounce anything with a Cumbrian accent, and oddly enough I only ever have a couple of words for her on those occasions.

Only thing worse is people telling me I'm posh or must be moneyed because of my accent. Jesus wept. Oh, and my favourite: I once got singled out and bullied at school for being posh because, I shit you not, some little bastard had been peering into our windows and - gasp! - "your family eat dinner around a table", at which point people mimicked us committing the ultimate transgression of, erm, using cutlery. Sad, sad stuff.

Lágnætti
07-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I spent much of my youth and early twenties being asked if I went to a private school. Of course, as with you, the implication was always that my family must have £££££. Yeah, my parents were teachers. We were rolling in it, especially in the 70s. You know, when my family didn't even have a car.

We always ate around a table too! I had no idea it was such a moral transgression or indeed, a class marker.

Michael Michael
07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I once got singled out and bullied at school for being posh because, I shit you not, some little bastard had been peering into our windows and - gasp! - "your family eat dinner around a table", at which point people mimicked us committing the ultimate transgression of, erm, using cutlery. Sad, sad stuff.

We always ate around a table too! I had no idea it was such a moral transgression or indeed, a class marker.

You bourgeois scum sicken me with your table-sitting ways!

Nancy
07-10-2010, 03:43 PM

It drives me nuts when cigarette smokers don't pick up after themselves. If you're going to indulge yourself with toxic substances, the least you can do is put them in your pocket when you're done with them, rather than throw them on the ground or in a pond, or in somebody's used coffee mug. You can get a cheap little covered ashtray if you don't want to get your pockets dirty. You put the butts in the trash when you get home. It's not rocket science.

Perky Compson
07-10-2010, 10:07 PM
^I hate that too. I also hate when college kids leave their beer bottles everywhere. It's like, I know you're drunk, but the trash can is only twenty feet away. Don't make the other students and gardeners pick up after your parties.

Re: vowel police. Ugh, at my college a lot of the Northeasterners will get on my case for sounding like a Southerner (I'm from Nevada). They try and tell me that I sound like an idiot for droppin' g's, sayin' Ah'm fixin' to do summin' or gonna git-er-done, or God forbid even pronouncin' Nevada like Nev-a-duh instead of Nev-aw-duh*. And it's like, duh, I know I sound uneducated and like a redneck. I grew up around neighbors who had shooting ranges in their basements and drove pickups into the desert to blow stuff up with fireworks. Saying that I "sound like Sarah Palin/a Tea Partier" or should take speech ed is just frustrating, because I try very hard to hide my accent and pointing it out when I fail just makes it all feel pointless. Someday, when I have the guts, I'm just going to let go completely and redneck it up, because I shouldn't be made to feel stupid for sounding like the area from which I come.

*only a slight exaggeration of what I sound like when I drop my guard. My "i" sounds are often "ah's", I lose "g's" and I've kept a lot of the vernacular.

/rant

Michael Michael
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
^ But Sarah Palin sounds like she's from Minnesota or something!

Why is it bad to sound like a southerner? Is the northeastern accent somehow "right" and the southern one "wrong"? If so, why? by whose authority? You need to tell those people to a) examine their prejudices and b) fuck off. Do it in a thick southern accent, ideally.

ETA: I bet those same people who exert social pressure on you to mask your accent just loooove Irish accents or English accents or something. Gah.

JayPeaches
07-10-2010, 10:47 PM
"Y'all need to fuck off now, ya hear?"

I don't have a southern accent, but my husband does. I think it's hot!

anj
07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
^ Oh no. Bathroom conversations are inevitably awkward.

Which brings me to something that really annoys me: loud cell phone talkers in bathroom stalls. I don't know when this became acceptable nor do I know why it always seems to happen to me, but I really don't need to hear your conversation during my piss break.

i have been known to flush a toilet repeatedly when the person in the stall next to me is on the phone. sure, everyone in the bathroom might think i have some sort of horrible stomach bug but i think the person on the other end of the phone has a right to know that the person they are talking to is actually on the pot. if that makes me a jerkface, so be it.

[[dance]]

Michael Michael
07-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Disproportionate anger theatre: I hate autoflush toilets in public washrooms. I really hate them. they seem to flush every time I shift -- sometimes several times over the course of a single washroom visit. such a waste of water. And then, when I'm done, nothing happens! I wave my hands and re-sit and re-stand up and walk away a bit and dance around in front and nothing! Ugh.

who decided that auto-flush toilets were a good idea. what was their justification. I don't care if germophobes don't want to touch a handle. they're about to wash their hands anyway. they'll deal.

Perky Compson
07-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Autoflush toilets are the worst, except for maybe those automatic faucets that only turn on if you hold your hand in a certain position, and never give you enough time to rinse soap off.

^ But Sarah Palin sounds like she's from Minnesota or something!

Why is it bad to sound like a southerner? Is the northeastern accent somehow "right" and the southern one "wrong"? If so, why? by whose authority? You need to tell those people to a) examine their prejudices and b) fuck off. Do it in a thick southern accent, ideally.

"Pardon my French, but Ah'm fixin' to take yer pretty mouth and make it kiss where the sun don't shine, Yank." ;)

Bluebell
07-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Disproportionate anger theatre: I hate autoflush toilets in public washrooms. I really hate them. they seem to flush every time I shift -- sometimes several times over the course of a single washroom visit. such a waste of water. And then, when I'm done, nothing happens! I wave my hands and re-sit and re-stand up and walk away a bit and dance around in front and nothing! Ugh.

who decided that auto-flush toilets were a good idea. what was their justification. I don't care if germophobes don't want to touch a handle. they're about to wash their hands anyway. they'll deal.
Yes! Ugh.

JayPeaches
07-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Guest bedrooms with squeaky beds and bouncy mattresses.:mad:

pb
07-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Pet Peeve: Just Especially because I spend my days writing cover letters and tweaking my portfolio does not mean that conversations should be limited to the job search experience. My personality is still in tact (so far).

Now that I've been graduated (read: unemployed) for a whole 3 weeks, I'm finding the only topics of conversation many deem appropriate are:"Hows the Job Search", or "Get A job yet?" and the like. Repeatedly. Constantly. Solely.

I don't know anyone in my field who scored gainful employment in this market right off the bat. The interview processes alone are a major time-kill. I don't mind discussing this job-hunt extravaganza, but staring a scarlet U into my forehead is not going to help anyone.

ETA: I kind of like the auto-flush. In my limited public bathroom experience (I can/will hold probably unhealthily long in avoidance) those equipped with auto tend to be far less likely to be housing, er leftovers.

TheTimm
07-11-2010, 08:15 AM
It kind of annoys me when people who use the remote fob thingies to lock their cars hit the lock button until the car horn honks. Especially when the person who does it is standing right next to the car. I mean, why can't you hear that the doors locked? Or better yet, why can't you just press the locks on the door on your way out of the car? Does the world really need a honk every time some thoughtless bastard locks his car?

wout
07-11-2010, 10:27 AM
People acting 'healthy' by buying stuff that says 'less than X.X% of fat, but fail to check how much sugar is added...

jeth
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
It kind of annoys me when people who use the remote fob thingies to lock their cars hit the lock button until the car horn honks. Especially when the person who does it is standing right next to the car. I mean, why can't you hear that the doors locked? Or better yet, why can't you just press the locks on the door on your way out of the car? Does the world really need a honk every time some thoughtless bastard locks his car?

The beep you hear is the alarm setting. You click once to lock, twice to set the alarm. I would be more concerned with why cars are designed to beep when an alarm is set, and not beep when it's merely locked, sending an auditory signal to anyone thinking about messing with that car that the car is either a good or bad target depending on the presence or absence of a beep.

Churumbela
07-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Locking the car so that I hear the horn honk is one of my compulsions. I don't feel confident that the car is locked unless I hear the horn, and if I walk away from the car and am unsure whether or not it's locked, I'll often lock it again until it honks. Sure, it's idiotic, but if I don't do it, I'll spend the following hour having a panic attack about it.

Stephanie
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Guest bedrooms with squeaky beds and bouncy mattresses.:mad:

LOL my house!!! want to come over?

TheTimm
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
The beep you hear is the alarm setting. You click once to lock, twice to set the alarm. I would be more concerned with why cars are designed to beep when an alarm is set, and not beep when it's merely locked, sending an auditory signal to anyone thinking about messing with that car that the car is either a good or bad target depending on the presence or absence of a beep.Hmm... that may be the case with many cars -- I have no idea -- but that's not how my Ford Explorer works. From my owner's manual: "1. Press and release to lock all the doors and liftgate. 2. Press and release again within three seconds to confirm that all the doors are closed and locked. Note: The doors will lock again, the horn will chirp and the lamps flash once."

But for cars that do work that way, or have added an aftermarket alarm that works that way, yes - my pet peeve is hereby transferred to the designers of the car/alarm.

Locking the car so that I hear the horn honk is one of my compulsions. I don't feel confident that the car is locked unless I hear the horn, and if I walk away from the car and am unsure whether or not it's locked, I'll often lock it again until it honks. Sure, it's idiotic, but if I don't do it, I'll spend the following hour having a panic attack about it. Well, I guess I don't get why you don't feel confident the doors are locked when locking them with the switch on the door, or by pressing the remote while you're standing next to the car and can hear/see the doors lock. But I don't have to. And you get a pass from my peeve anyway because I like you. :D
So in your case and in the case of others with compulsions or who I just like, I'll again transfer the peeve to the designers of the car. I'd prefer it if they made it so the car did something less obnoxious than honking to confirm that the doors are locked -- maybe just the flash of the lights or something. I don't know. It just irritates me a little, doesn't ruin my whole day or anything.

But I thank you two for giving me some answers to the why WHY WHY that flashes in my head when I hear that honk.

Churumbela
07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Well compulsions don't make sense. That's one of the things about OCD - we know it's illogical, but we're still compelled. If it's any consolation, I have compulsions about locking pretty much anything. I always leave two or three extra minutes in the morning because I have to check the door to my apartment a number of times. Even though I know it's locked, I won't be able to drive all the way to work unless I follow through on routine. (I'm not sure I've ever really talked about this here!)

pan
07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
People acting 'healthy' by buying stuff that says 'less than X.X% of fat, but fail to check how much sugar is added...

they also don't check the sodium... or how much hydrogenated oils are in it.

Whappo
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
The "fat free (but we've just replaced the fat with heaps of sugar)" thing both saddens and amuses me. It's sad that they get away with it, but it's something I expect everyone to be aware of now. Surely everyone knows that the moral of the story is always "never ever ever trust anyone who is trying to sell you something."
I've also heard that it's legal for companies to be something like 10% out for the nutritional values. So when something says '500 calories', it could really mean around 50 calories above or below that. I've noticed Tesco sell two packs of cashew nuts - exactly the same but for the section of the store they're in and the size of the cashews - with different nutritional values. They're both RAW, nothing added, and yet one apparently has 5 extra calories per 100 grams. It's annoying, and I suspect it's down to them tinkering with all of their nutritional values (their fruit and veg values are sometimes way out!).

JayPeaches
07-11-2010, 05:34 PM
LOL my house!!! want to come over?

Not if I'm feeling frisky! ;l

FaerieDreamer
07-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Laundry pet peeve...

When the person who has done laundry before me doesnt fully clean out the little cup you pour the detergent in the washer with. Then it gets all gummy and nasty with congealed soap and just makes a mess. I mean really, is it that difficult to hold the cup under the running water for a couple of seconds when you turn the washer on before closing the lid?

anj
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
^ you mean like the screwtop of the tide bottle? you clean that out?

[[dance]]

somAiroTevoLI
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I've always rinse the cap off, and I am by no means a neat person. I just don't like that soapy gunk.

FaerieDreamer
07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
^ you mean like the screwtop of the tide bottle? you clean that out?

[[dance]]

Not the screwtop kind (although I do rinse that out too) but more with the huge jugs that have the little spout at the bottom. So you can't put the cup back on and let the soap drip back into the bottle, it just sits there getting gross.

Becka
07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I mean, why can't you hear that the doors locked? Or better yet, why can't you just press the locks on the door on your way out of the car?

because i'm deaf and my car in "child safety" mode doesn't lock all doors from the rear passenger door

TheTimm
07-11-2010, 09:52 PM
^Okay. Then I guess I'll just have to continue to be mildly irritated by the sound of honking horns until car manufacturers come up with a less annoying way of confirming that doors are indeed locked. I'm sure I'll live.

*eta*
But I somehow doubt that the reasons given in this thread represent a very high percentage of the people who press lock until they hear a honk. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Frangipani
07-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I press lock until I hear a honk. My car is 10 years old, the button is fickle. Wanna fight about it? ;)

anj
07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
like others have said, my alarm doesn't turn on until the second time i press the lock button and that's when it honks. you can set it so that it doesn't honk but just flashes the lights but i feel more confident with the honk.

[[dance]]

Stumpy
07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Well compulsions don't make sense. That's one of the things about OCD - we know it's illogical, but we're still compelled. If it's any consolation, I have compulsions about locking pretty much anything. I always leave two or three extra minutes in the morning because I have to check the door to my apartment a number of times. Even though I know it's locked, I won't be able to drive all the way to work unless I follow through on routine. (I'm not sure I've ever really talked about this here!)

I know vaguely that you have some OCD so you've mentioned it before. It makes me feel better! Apparently I'm a bit OCD (idk, I just like things to be a certain way so if anything, it's very acute), so it's nice to know it's easy enough to carry on in real life. Personally, I just think I'm a control freak but WHATEVS.

TheTimm
07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I press lock until I hear a honk. My car is 10 years old, the button is fickle. Wanna fight about it? ;)

like others have said, my alarm doesn't turn on until the second time i press the lock button and that's when it honks. you can set it so that it doesn't honk but just flashes the lights but i feel more confident with the honk.

[[dance]]
I think I have the solution: All you honkers just keep on honking when you lock your doors, and I'll just keep on being a little bit annoyed when I hear it. ;)

ej
07-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I think I have the solution: All you honkers just keep on honking when you lock your doors, and I'll just keep on being a little bit annoyed when I hear it. ;)My wife's car honks with the first button press -- locks and alarm are both engaged at one stroke. My car takes two button presses. The "honk press" engages the alarm. :D

madworld
07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Locking the car so that I hear the horn honk is one of my compulsions. I don't feel confident that the car is locked unless I hear the horn, and if I walk away from the car and am unsure whether or not it's locked, I'll often lock it again until it honks. Sure, it's idiotic, but if I don't do it, I'll spend the following hour having a panic attack about it.

I have this exact problem. I always press until I hear the honk. Sorry Timm! ;)

JayPeaches
07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
If I don't hear it honk, I will walk closer to the car, clicking the button until I hear it honk. And sometimes, I even do this as I approach the car to get in it, because I want to make sure that I'm only unlocking the driver door (if I'm alone). So I'll click til it honks to make sure it's fully locked, then click it once to only unlock the driver door.

Regina Phalange
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe they could make a quieter honk for alarm/locks: loud enough for the people who want audio confirmation, but not so loud it scares the crap out of jumpy people like me who do not like unexpected loud noises.

Whappo
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
This discussion has probably been far more annoying than car lock noises have ever been to me.

http://biobreak.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/alanis.jpg

(oh god, imagine the multiple Alanises/Alani ALL remotely locking and unlocking the car at the same time)

menju56
07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
^ Alani ;l

Don't know whether this qualifies as a "pet peeve," but any UK-ers annoyed by the sheer ubiquity of James Corden lately? He's the Myleene Klass of 2010.

Whappo
07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Corden's annoyed me for years. That World Cup song is the lowest of the low. He was alright in Who though.

Speaking of TV pet peeves, the Match.com advert with those two singing about Godfather 3 has led me to the decision to reject love indefinitely. It's the most cloying, smarmy piece of fluff to clog up an ad break since the BT adverts.

menju56
07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh my god YES. Add to my adverts hit list Autoglass Repair Autoglass Replace, Moonpig, and Go Compare.

Michael Michael
07-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Red sweater Alanis would get SO ANNOYED!

TheTimm
07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
My wife's car honks with the first button press -- locks and alarm are both engaged at one stroke. My car takes two button presses. The "honk press" engages the alarm. :D

Yeah, apparently both of these systems are more common than I thought. From an informal poll at work, I was surprised to learn that apparently not all honkers are "thoughtless bastards" after all. Who knew? ;) So I retract that part of my original complaint (except of course in cases where the person actually is a thoughtless bastard :p).

This discussion has probably been far more annoying than car lock noises have ever been to me.
The informal poll I took also supports that I can be annoying. This I did not find surprising. :o

Maeby
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Churumbela again."
These remote car locks (with the honking) are a godsend for those of us with OCD, or OCD tendencies. Years ago, I would have had to go back to my car a half a dozen times to make sure I really DID lock the doors. Now I'm fine after one beep.

Timm, I thought of you and smiled when I locked my car (*honk!*) at the grocery store today.

TheTimm
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
^Hahaha....dammit. ;)

SweetPea
07-13-2010, 01:04 AM
peeve: people who turn on their turn-signals after they've already begun to turn (or are already in the turn lane)

lacuna
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
^that and people who just don't use their signal at all.

Becka
07-13-2010, 02:08 AM
Timm, I thought of you and smiled when I locked my car (*honk!*) at the grocery store today.

haha i did the same. i honked twice when going into the gym

SweetPea
07-13-2010, 03:13 AM
^that and people who just don't use their signal at all.

Oh definitely. That goes without saying!

Becka
07-13-2010, 03:37 AM
People who can't say excuse me when they need to get by. Tonight at the gym this lady was just standing there looking around while I got dressed, sorted my bag, brushed my hair. I was in no hurry. When I started to leave she snuck in next to me to get to her locker. FFS! just say excuse me can I get in there to my locker! I'll move, just let me know what you want I'm not a mind reader.

Cuddlefish
07-13-2010, 03:44 AM
I would've emptied out my locker and reorganized everything if there was some woman silently standing behind me. Speak up, bitch! Otherwise I'm not going anywhere!

Becka
07-13-2010, 04:11 AM
If I had known what she was up to I would have done that! For all I knew she was just catching her breath or something. It just reminds me of how much I hate going to the gym in tqhe evening

Brian
07-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Amazon's on-site tracking telling me my order was picked up on July 3, but when I put the number into the USPS tracking system, it says they were notified to expect a package for pickup on the 9th. That is, they still don't fucking have it. Over a week to put a thing in a box and hand it to someone else? I know they're trying to drive people to Prime, but this is beyond ridiculous.

beKa
07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Talk of shipping brings up a whole 'nother animal for me. Has anyone ever ordered anything from Dell? I just ordered a tv and it's finally arriving today...after a month's wait!

Robin Sparkles
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
I've only ever ordered one thing from Dell (outdoor speakers), and it came within a week. Are they normally bad?

I have Amazon Prime and I love it. I don't think I'll go back to not having it. But maybe I spend too much money on Amazon...

beKa
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Every experience I've had with them included an amply long wait time. When I ordered my laptop last year, it took about a month and a half to ship. It was also plagued with problems! I suspect they sometimes hold off shipping because of quality control standards when building and errors that don't end up getting fixed anyway. I would never recommend a Dell laptop, but every Dell desktop I had was a solid workhorse. My boyfriend's desktop shipped and arrived within days and has runs beautifully. So Dell - crappy shipping, crappy laptops. Anything else is fair game.

Churumbela
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh, just thought of one! It bugs me when people can see that you've clearly waited and held the door open for them, and they don't say "thank you."

beKa
07-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Oh, just thought of one! It bugs me when people can see that you've clearly waited and held the door open for them, and they don't say "thank you."

Same with when you let someone in front of you while driving. A simple wave is fine with me!

Robin Sparkles
07-14-2010, 01:45 AM
People not being polite in general irks me to no end. Are "please", "thank you" and "excuse me" so hard to say?

I totally judge people by the way they treat servers and such. Again with the politeness! Say "thanks" when they bring you a refill. Don't demand things, ask for them. I am not a server but I used to manage a coffee shop, and I encountered the rudest people.

I also hate it when people let their children make ridiculous messes in a restaurant, and then just leave it there for the busboy to clean up.

People who pee on the seat.

People who don't say "hello" or "good-bye" on a phone call.

Basically, just people in general it seems!

Cuddlefish
07-14-2010, 01:59 AM
People not being polite in general irks me to no end. Are "please", "thank you" and "excuse me" so hard to say?

I totally judge people by the way they treat servers and such. Again with the politeness! Say "thanks" when they bring you a refill. Don't demand things, ask for them. I am not a server but I used to manage a coffee shop, and I encountered the rudest people.

I also hate it when people let their children make ridiculous messes in a restaurant, and then just leave it there for the busboy to clean up.

People who pee on the seat.

Basically, just people in general it seems!

Agree on all counts, especially concerning servers. Dave Barry said in his list of things he's learned in his lifetime, "A person who is nice to you, but then rude to a waiter, is not a nice person." This is so fricken' true.

vioflex
07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
I hate rude people, too.

I just can't take people who treat people who work for them as if they were not people. Not just 'thank you' and 'please', but does it hurt to say "have a nice day" to the clerk at a store?

pb
07-14-2010, 02:30 AM
I totally judge people by the way they treat servers and such.

I think that is a totally fair litmus test. I won't bother with those who can't be bothered to act civilly to customer service folk.

SrslyChris
07-14-2010, 03:17 AM

Agreed. Ever since I started working in retail I have always tried to be extra nice to those in retail, restaurants and fast food because I know how much shit they get from other people.

One of our neighbors always calls and never says hello. After someone answers the phone the first words out of her mouth are "Is your mom there?!" It pisses me off so much.

Stone
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
I think that is a totally fair litmus test. I won't bother with those who can't be bothered to act civilly to customer service folk.

Yes, and yes. No matter how new the waiter can be, or how bad the service can get, I can never be rude to a waiter. If anything, I would try to tell them what could've been better.

Regina Phalange
07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Every fucking day at least one of my neighbors' car alarm goes off. I know it's easy to hit the button, but it only takes a second to click it off. I don't think they're hitting the button though. I think the sensitivity of the alarm is too high, like I walked by one of the cars and it just started blaring. The other one that goes off all the time would go off every day between 4 and 5. And it would go on and on and on. No one would be near it. Every fucking day.

They go off often enough to really piss me off, but not long enough to call the police.

Our neighborhood isn't bad enough to warrant secret service level security and the cars are shitboxes too.

hate. my. neighbors.

Becka
07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I just can't take people who treat people who work for them as if they were not people. Not just 'thank you' and 'please', but does it hurt to say "have a nice day" to the clerk at a store?

It always makes me sad when I am polite, ask them how they are doing that day, or tell retail workers/waitstaff to have a good day when I'm leaving and they have that moment of reaction of surprise. That shouldn't happen, they shouldn't be surprised or shocked that OMG someone just spent a few seconds to see how they were doing or to wish them a better day.

Kari
07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Agree on all counts, especially concerning servers. Dave Barry said in his list of things he's learned in his lifetime, "A person who is nice to you, but then rude to a waiter, is not a nice person." This is so fricken' true.

So true. I was a server for a really long time. Anyone who is a shithead to a server around me gets a giant earful.

Whappo
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm going to be such an asshole back to rude customers on my last day. They better KNOW THEMSELVES little girl.

emptytuileries
07-14-2010, 02:36 PM
People who pair good or even decent wine with horrible/incomparable food. And think they're elegant.

And drinking wine from anything else other than a wine glass or... the bottle itself. (Now, just ignore that boxed wine in my fridge).

Frangipani
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
People who pair good or even decent wine with horrible/incomparable food. And think they're elegant.

Cadillac problems, hon.

Whappo
07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I love a nice mug of wine with a tuna melt.

JayPeaches
07-14-2010, 06:20 PM
But...wine goes with, like, EVERYTHING right?

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/manwich.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/hotdogs.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/pizza.jpg

Whappo
07-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I think it goes with anything provided you drink it elegantly. From the bottle, pinky out? Man, this etiquette stuff is tricky.

(I'm pretty sure I've had pizza with wine, but then I've never dropped that much cash for the stuff either - THE SHAME~)

Lathan
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
I love the "2 girls 1 cup 3 sips of fine wine" video.

mynx
07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I got bitched out for saying this on facebook today: I hate it when people talk about my food. This ranges from people wanting to know what I'm eating, what I'm cooking, or what I'm buying to cook and/or eat.

When cashiers comment on my grocery purchases, I get stabby. I'm trying to check out and the girl is reading the ingredients list to determine whether or not the item contains soy, because (she said) she doesn't like soy. I don't want to have to discuss what it is I'm buying, whether or not she likes or dislikes, or what my opinion of said item is. Of COURSE I think item X is good, that's why I'm BUYING it. :p

I'd much rather stick with "yes, I found everything I needed and yes, it is indeed hot out there!" and be done with it.

Oh, and saying "heighth" instead of "height". :)

Frangipani
07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
oh mynx, you missed out on thetimms and my rant about cashiers commenting on grocery purchases. It went on at @ for a few pages and then someone came in, probably mansdrew, to tell us we all cared way too much...

let me summarize:
"I hate cashiers that talk about my groceries"

-'o rly? I think you just hate the poor. you know mama always told me you know who people really are when you see how they treat the help...'

"help? who has help? I wish I had some help"

- 'ok, so why cant you make small talk with cashiers? Say hello, for fucks sake. Those poor people, on their feets all day...'

"talk to me all you want, just dont ask me how i like these condoms and vag cream"

NUHN
07-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, good call on cashier comments on your purchases. I hate that. It's so ignorant. And it doesn't even have to be something personal to be annyoing, most any comment on what you've bought is really not appropriate.

But I'm here to add that I hate when people don't know what they want at the drive thru or counter window. Especially when they are at a place like McDonald's or something where the menu is pretty straightforward and well known. And I swear sometimes people deliberately make their orders confusing just to fuck with the poor cashier. Or to try to get a problem going and get something free. Cheap bastards with no fucking couth.

Whappo
07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't know, I'd probably hate a cashier talking about my vagina cream. Cashiers telling me how cute the shoes I'm buying is fine though.

Bonus "from the other side of the till" story - a man once came into our store and told us at length about his rotting groin and the various salves and creams he'd been using on it, enquiring whether we did anything for that. Yeah no.

NUHN
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know, I'd probably hate a cashier talking about my vagina cream. Cashiers telling me how cute the shoes I'm buying is fine though.

A simple compliment could be okay. I got "ooooo, it's treat night!" one time when I was buying some cake and ice cream for a get together the next day, and another time I bought one of those godawful Hungry Man microwave dinners (this was years ago) and the cashier said, "Oh, now are you a hungry man" in this really sarcastic manner. Just little patronizing comments. But just saying, "ooh, that looks good" wouldn't be so bad.

Stumpy
07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Wine goes with more wine, right?

Whappo
07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
A simple compliment could be okay. I got "ooooo, it's treat night!" one time when I was buying some cake and ice cream for a get together the next day, and another time I bought one of those godawful Hungry Man microwave dinners (this was years ago) and the cashier said, "Oh, now are you a hungry man" in this really sarcastic manner. Just little patronizing comments. But just saying, "ooh, that looks good" wouldn't be so bad.
I think talking about food is rude, yes. But in most other stores, making small talk about things helps with the awkward silence. I've had cashiers in Topman tell me they really like the shoes I'm buying, or if a suit I was buying was for prom (ha ha ha no), and I don't mind that. And I'll enthuse about soaps and shit if I'm on the till, but then it's in my contract that I have to be super fun happy family wish show all the time. If people don't want to talk about the products it's pretty obvious straight away and I'll just shut up my face.

Also, ahjsfhdfhahahaha! Nosy cashiers justify the fear you get when you buy shitloads of junk food, amirite. This is why self-checkout is the future. I used it all the time at uni because I didn't want to be judged for my nightly Frijj and ice cream diabetic coma habit.

eta: also, also - I'd much rather people talked to me about the products in-store than anything else. Some of the people I work with ask customers what they have planned for the rest of the day and get ridiculously BFF with them and it grinds my gears because it's 100% fake. And obviously so! My other favourite that this one girl pulls is to go up to customers who have shopping bags and go "ooh what have you been buying?" Sometimes said customers are carrying La Senza bags. I die.

Autumn
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I hate it when people who work fast food get my order wrong. I mean, it's not rocket science. How hard is it to ring up two number 11 combos and one number 5 combo? I think I'm less patient because I have worked fast food and I know how incredibly easy it is.

Also? "Ketchup only" DOES NOT MEAN extra ketchup. It does not mean squirt on more ketchup to make up for the pickles, onions and lettuce you left off. No, sir. It means put the same amount of ketchup on that you normally would, and leave off the other stuff. WHY IS THIS SO HARD?! *cries*