PDA

View Full Version : USE PHOENIX DOWN ON UNF - the nerdy RPG thread.

Whappo
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I know some of you are RPG fans. And by RPG I guess I mean turn-based JRPG. But I SUPPOSE I can stand to listen to you talk about Baldur's Oblivion 4: The Bumface Scrolls.

Is it just me that usually has an RPG on the go, even if it's on the back burner?
What are you playing/what have you recently played?
Favourites?
What are you looking forward to?

I am currently playing Dragon Quest V on the SNES. It's my first Dragon Quest! I find 1st person battle screens weird and horrible, and they stopped me from really loving Phantasy Star much, but I'm intrigued and it's not bad so far.
I also have Dark Chronicle on the back burner. I always always get bored by this game and have yet to ever finish it, but I DO love its weapon build-up system a lot. It just has a lame story and gets repetitive, but then you can't really complain about a dungeon crawler being repetitive, can you.

Ostensibly this is also a thread for you to suggest PS3 RPGs to me. They seem few and far between just now. :( I would love to play Eternal Sonata, but unfortunately it appears to be a game where people shout the move they are using, and they shout it every single time. This is the worst thing. Especially because the names tend to be cringe inducing. I don't want people to hear "GALACTIC THRUST JAM!!!! GALACTIC THRUST JAM!!! HUH!!! HWAH!!! GALACTIC THRUST JAM!!!" coming from the room when I'm playing.

The Markness
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I'll always love a lot of the Final Fantasy games, of course (these days I'm partial to X, but that changes with the winds). VI, VII, IX...there's even a a lot of things I like about XII. (Wasn't super-fussed with XIII, myself...)

Are there any awesome turn-based RPGs for the XBox 360? I'm a relatively new XBox owner.

Dave
06-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Hate on Oblivion much? ;)

I'm pondering whether to give Disciples III a chance. It looks good... but does it play as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnnqB7eao-M

I really wish FF13 was on PC, as well :(

Whappo
06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I've actually never played Oblivion, but it doesn't seem like my thing. I prefer a certain amount of linearity and cinematic flair. Or something. But it is incredibly cheap, so I am tempted. Same with Fallout!

Dave
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Oblivion is all about massive questing. It has a shitload of stories built within a massive open world. I think if you gave it a shot you'd like it.

That said, I've been on a sports kick recently. Playing NBA2K and FIFA10. Not exactly RPGs.

wout
06-29-2010, 08:50 AM
(Oblivion is better than crack)

My biggest gripe with jrpg's is the whole turnbased thing (and the over-emo characters). I prefer the more live action ones, like Zelda or Dark Cloud 2. Vagrant Story is a masterpiece that everybody must play!

Also, snes rpg's like secret of Mana, secret of evermore, soul blazer etc are bliss!

wout
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Are there any awesome turn-based RPGs for the XBox 360? I'm a relatively new XBox owner.

Lost odyssey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZpAdxdBJI

I played it up to disc 4, and then I got bored with it. But if turn-based is our thing, this'll do quite nicely.

Whappo
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM
(Oblivion is better than crack)

My biggest gripe with jrpg's is the whole turnbased thing (and the over-emo characters). I prefer the more live action ones, like Zelda or Dark Cloud 2. Vagrant Story is a masterpiece that everybody must play!

Also, snes rpg's like secret of Mana, secret of evermore, soul blazer etc are bliss!
I like all of these things! I think Vagrant Story is on PSN if anyone hasn't played it. Pretty tricky, but a beautiful game.

I like turns, though. It's such a polite way of playing. Characterisation and plot have definitely been extremely lacking for a while now, though. What little there is in the way of those kind of RPGs is inevitably hammy rubbish with the worst of the worst stock characters. :(

Dave
06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I was a fan of turn-based back in the day when the older FFs were out and when Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star were out, but that was long ago. I'm more in tune with story telling and questing. To me, and it isn't all entirely bad, turn-based rpgs are like a more advanced version of hack-n-slash, like Diablo (of which I fucking loved and still can't wait for Diablo3 to hit the shelves).

Whappo
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I always feel the opposite! Stuff like Oblivion, beyond character building, seems like hack and slash to me, with sort of empty storytelling based around fetch quests. Have things changed? I found Baldur's Gate pretty dull and it got stale fast for me.

gyabou
06-29-2010, 01:48 PM
I used to love RPGs, but I think my attention span has gone to shit or something. I never finish them or get into them much anymore. (Someday I'll finish FFXIII ...)

Whappo
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I tried getting back into FFXIII today and oh god, it's so...cold and distant. I don't know where I'm meant to be looking during battle. I don't feel like I need much strategy beyond "OMG PARADIGM SHIFT." I don't really like any of the characters. I hope so much that this is a sidestep in the series rather than something that's indicative of where it's going - because between that and the MMORPGs, I worry that it could be Dead To Me.tm Squenix have really lost their charm these last few years - no wonder they pump out so many remakes.

Faust
06-30-2010, 12:22 AM
I got about 20 hours into FFXIII and just lost interest. I'll come back to it and finish it eventually, but overall I'm disappointed.

I was huge on that series when I was younger; III, VI, and IX remain some of my favorite video games ever.

Anyone a fan of Super Mario RPG for the SNES? :)

The Markness
06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone a fan of Super Mario RPG for the SNES? :)

I am, I am! I just replayed through the whole thing on the Wii Virtual Console. LOVE it. <3 <3 <3

Faust
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I did that last year, too!! It's definitely not difficult like I seemingly remember it being when I was a kid, but oh man, the nostalgia. The dialogue still holds up as very witty and charming too.

clarion
07-05-2010, 03:30 AM
I need PS2 RPG recommendations. I've got FFX (only about three hours in) and DQVIII (haven't started it yet). What should I get?

Michael Michael
07-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Did someone mention Super Mario RPG?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkailb3xcTI

FOREVER

Whappo
07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I need PS2 RPG recommendations. I've got FFX (only about three hours in) and DQVIII (haven't started it yet). What should I get?
Did you ever play Koudelka? Shadow Hearts is loosely connected and pretty interesting (also better, Koudelka is sort of unnecessary in the long run). It's set across Europe and Asia pre-WW1, and it's all gothic secret history stuff involving demons and magic. It's a pretty wacky comedy-horror RPG, and the battle system is fun - all actions are governed by a 'judgment ring' mechanism where you have to execute actions at a precise time in order to maximise effects. Not an amazing game, and more cult than essential, but worth a look if you can find it cheap.
Apparently the sequel is better, too.

If you want more action-based RPGs, Kingdom Hearts is highly recommended and works a lot better than it should (Disney and Squaresoft clusterfuck fanfic!), and the Dark Cloud games are good stuff too (if repetitive and lacking in the story department), Dark Chronicle more so.

I also think Unlimited Saga is immensely underrated, but it's still a very alienating game which never fully explains itself to the player and asks an awful lot of you without giving many rewards - very basic graphics, very thin stories, etc. But the character designs are great, the music is stunning, and it has a bizarre table-top charm to it. Maybe try the other SaGa games first, although they were never released here so I can't vouch for them much.

clarion
07-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I did play one of the SaGa games - I think it was on PS1? And it was horrible. But I'll look up the other one.

I've heard a lot about Kingdom Hearts and the fanboys kind of put me off, but I think it's going on my must-play list.

Whappo
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh god, Kingdom Hearts brings fanboys and furiously fapping slash girls on itself, but you can avoid them. It's a series I'm less enamoured with over time, because the mythology has gone in a rather boring direction that's just an excuse for angsty pretty boy characters with STUPID FUCKING HAIR. But the first game is solid.

If you didn't like the PS1 SaGa game, you probably won't like Unlimited SaGa. They're sold as being for hardcore RPG gamers who are into stats and immersive combat systems, but actually they're just messy and require a lot of work in order to be enjoyed. The payoff is usually prettiness. I really don't know what the draw is at all, but I'm nevertheless drawn to them.

I can also possibly recommend Arc: Twilight of the Spirits. Pretty by the numbers, but it's good enough.

AVOID Summoner, and approach Wild ARMS 3 with caution. It's...interesting. The translation is hilariously bad and at times nonsensical, if I remember correctly. If you like Breath of Fire, Dragon Quarter is really interesting and really challenging, but it's done in a style that really limits your use of the dragon ability and usually calls for New Game+ frequently (it's built into the game that you can go back to the start taking certain stats with you), and the claustrophobic and unvaried setting really pisses some people off. Great atmosphere though.

The Markness
07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I really love the first Kingdom Hearts game (wasn't as fussed on the second). However, I teach video game designer students, and when we talk about Kingdom Hearts, there's a HUGE backlash/hatred for it from the male students that I don't really understand.

Re: PS2 games, I really love FFX, and the more time that passes, the more I love it. I just really love the world/mythology, and since it's the last truly turn-based entry in the FF series, I have a soft spot for it. (And I just love Kimahri and Lulu).

Whappo
07-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I usually love blue mages but Kimahri was so awkward. Noble savage voiced by Bender Bending Rodriguez? OH-KAY. Barely ever used him and his sphere grid attests to that. Don't really love any of the FFX characters, although I do enjoy Rikku's mix ability, useless as it can be at times. Great game though, once you shake off the rubbish characters and forget the laughing scene.

Kingdom Hearts - I think people can have a lot of hate for it because of the young protagonists, the Disney protagonists, and the fact that the Disney Princess franchise is a huge plot point within the game. It also has a very uncool voice cast (Mandy Moore!) and a J-Pop theme song, and it takes itself incredibly seriously for a Disney game where everyone has oddly proportioned bodies. Both games suffer a little from the tedious opening missions, too. But the game plays really well and has plenty to do, and it's moderately challenging for the casual gamer depending on what you decide to do.

clarion
07-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Great game though, once you shake off the rubbish characters

This is how I feel so far. I like the game, but I'm not impressed by these ~deep~ characters.

How is FFXII?

The Markness
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
FFXII was a lot of fun to play, but I've played it through twice and I still really don't care for the story or the characters.

DavidIX
07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
^ I've got alot of love for FFXII, X on the other hand makes me want to kill myself.

clarion
07-05-2010, 11:37 PM
OMG why are these people laughing ALL THE TIME. It's not that funny.

Someone please tell me FFX picks up. I still am enjoying it, but nearly six hours in and how much of that time has been actual gameplay? Like 45 minutes? It's like you get to walk half a screen before a cut scene. I think that's mostly what's stopped me from really enjoying too many of the PS1-current RPGs. Just STFU and let me play.

The Markness
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM
It's like you get to walk half a screen before a cut scene. I think that's what's, for the most part, stopped me from enjoying too many of the PS1-current RPGs. Just STFU and let me play.

This was one of the reasons that I really disliked FFXIII. I don't remember it bothering me when I played FFX, nor any of the other complaints you guys are talking about with it...I need to replay it again soon, maybe I'm remembering it better than it actually is.

clarion
07-05-2010, 11:47 PM
maybe I'm remembering it better than it actually is.

If only the FFVII fanboys would learn this. ;)

Whappo
07-06-2010, 12:35 AM
FFX is pretty linear and cut-scene heavy, but compared to subsequent games I think it'll be seen as a spacious and breezy game to play. I'm still slogging through XIII, but it's like watching a movie where the same scene repeats itself. The character development is so shoddy - so why is so much time being spent on naval-gazing and flashbacks? UGH.
I'm also finding it oddly "challenging", but that's not the right word. Boss battles take a few goes to get the hang of, but most of that is down to being so uninvolved in the action. You're left standing there as this flurry of ridiculous action unfolds onscreen that you feel very little connection to. When I use paradigm shifts well, I sort of feel accomplished, but even that becomes repetitive and stale very quickly as you find yourself using the same paradigms and strategies over and over. And encountering the same enemies over and over. And then watching everyone say the same thing over and over. Except for Vanille, of course, who seems so busy being Selphie/Rikku/Yuffie on ecstasy (what's with the weird "oooooh ahahaha whoo uh yayyyyy oh loooook" noise she makes all the time?) that there's no telling what she'll do - the only guarantee is that it will seem completely disingenuous and removed from the grave situation she finds herself in.

Basically it's arse but I'm ever hopeful that it will turn into a video game eventually.

DavidIX
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
If only the FFVII fanboys would learn this. ;)

Oh my god THIS

Whappo
07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I think I actually underrate FFVII. I've played through once and it's far from my favourite - I find few of the characters compelling, I think Sephiroth is ridiculous, and the world doesn't draw me in like some others - but the more I think about it the more I want to go back and reassess. Shame my discs are scratched to fuck.

Jamiieee
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I just finished FFXIII and the ending was actually kinda great. The game really does FINALLY come to life by chapter 11. It's a shame it takes so long to get there.

Faust
07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I recently replayed Final Fantasy VII just to see whether or not I was underrating it, and sure enough, it was a lot of fun. It didn't change the fact that it's my least favorite of the series though.

Has anyone played the International versions of X or XII? I think both of them fix a lot of the major problems I had with the originals and that they made the games all kinds of more fun. There are International/Final Mix versions of Kingdom Hearts I and II as well, the latter of which was well worth it. KHII International also came with Re:Chain of Memories, which at the time of release, was exclusive to that package.

Whappo
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
We only got the international version of FFX, but the only extra I can remember is the dark aeons.

FFXIII has picked up a little for me, but the linearity is still killing me and the storytelling is just so poor I can't believe it. And I just don't get gestalt mode/eidolons. It's not a fun feature at all, and the re-imagining of Shiva is more shameless than the hot springs scene in FFX-2. BOO-URNS.

Faust
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh God, and now I just remembered the hot springs scene in X-2. That just ruined all my memories of that game! ;l

gyabou
07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Every time someone disses Final Fantasy VII, God kills another baby Chocobo. :(

wout
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I did like VIII better than VII...
I kinda stopped playing them after that one, though.

DavidIX
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
^ If you ever get the chance I highly highly HIGHLY recommend IX, great story and a bunch of characters that were both cartoonish and over the top whilst still being able to carry the emotional moments of the plot.
Plus there are some majorly fantastic FMV sequences involving summons!

The Markness
07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
^ If you ever get the chance I highly highly HIGHLY recommend IX, great story and a bunch of characters that were both cartoonish and over the top whilst still being able to carry the emotional moments of the plot.
Plus there are some majorly fantastic FMV sequences involving summons!

I actually really, really love IX, as well. I replayed it last year and had a blast. I enjoy the characters and the mythology a lot, though things do get a bit brain-twisty near the end.

Cuddlefish
07-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I had IX for a couple of days before trading it in for VIII. I'll have to pick it back up sometime; I liked Vivi sooo much.

My friends have now demanded that I play XIV with them when it comes out, so between now and September I've got to get a new laptop! Anyone else looking forward to it? The more I look at it, the more interesting it seems.

Whappo
07-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm interested, but I've never played a MMORPG before and it's daunting.

And I love IX too. It's incredibly charming. That and VIII were developed at the same time, right? Good times!

DavidIX
07-07-2010, 12:46 AM
@ The Markness, the ending being alittle brain twisty was my only minor issue with IX, although I think that the endings of most FF games i've played have been a bit of a cluster fuck in one way or another?!
@ Cuddlefish, I'm actually thinking about playing XIV, although I'm going to be waiting for the PS3 release beacuse as I don't have a PC, i'm on Mac and as far as i know it's not being released on Mac?
From what i've heard the PS3 release is going to be next March whereas the PC versions coming out before the end of the year, so everyone else will have a big head start on me!

Whappo
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Right - I'm enjoying Fallout lots (so much so that I haven't touched Eternal Sonata - which I got at the same time - yet!). Would I enjoy Oblivion? Bear in mind that I lean much more towards using the shit out of VATS in Fallout because I am a lobster accountant and don't trust my flailing pincers enough to cope with real combat.

Dave
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Have you played Dragon Age? I've restarted it with a new passion for it. It's very tactical, at least on the PC, I can't honestly say how it is on the consoles.

wout
07-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Oblivion doesn't have a VATS-like system. It's pretty much real time hackslash/magic/bow combat. The free roaming aspect is there, though, and it's imo much better. Different guilds, lots more variety to the scenery, bigger difference in how you shape your character.
And it's bigger! It's huge! I put in 200+ hours easily.

Dave
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Between playing Oblivion on the 360 and the PC I would be afraid to know how many hours I have sunk in.

I mentioned DA b/c the tactics is there. And the pause and decide and maneuver aspect was a great addition.

Whappo
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm just concerned about the action moving too fast for me. [/OAP gamer] But I think I find magic/melee stuff a little less tricky than projectiles and guns. Which I'm sure are still there, but still!

clarion
07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
FFX update: I am stuck on Yunalesca.

asdgashashgdjashgdjagsh FUCK

Faust
07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Hahahaha. Solution: Teach Yuna Holy.

clarion
07-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks. I've been leveling a bit in the ruins and am getting closer.

Whappo
07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Choosing between Dragon Age and Oblivion is hard!

UK folk - Dragon Age for the PS3 is currently 13 new from Amazon.

clarion
07-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Finished FFX!

I have FFXII and Persona 3 FES waiting for me now.

gyabou
07-18-2010, 01:40 AM
LULZ my brain is dead. Wrong thread! Don't mind me.

Dave
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Choosing between Dragon Age and Oblivion is hard!

UK folk - Dragon Age for the PS3 is currently 13 new from Amazon.

You should be able to get both cheap...?

Whappo
07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh, Oblivion is really cheap, but it's always cheap. I went for Dragon Age because I figure it could go back up in price on Amazon again. And I really don't want to stock up on games and never get around to playing them! Plus, it'd be too much for my brain to handle if I had two expansive and customisable RPGs on the go at once.

Dave
07-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Have fun! I've already gotten further in the game this time around than I did last time. I'm currently playing a Cleric, Paladin. I'll update the SS thread sometime today. :D

clarion
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
FFXII is frustratingly difficult for me, so after 10 hours, it has to go on hold. I'm stuck at a boss who utterly annihilates me.

I started Persona 3 FES this morning - loving it so far.

Dave
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Well, shit. Your 10 hours makes my 45 minutes battling Broodmother in Dragon Age seem trifling. I literally just got done.

Sorry to hear about the stuckedness. I absolutely hate it when that happens.

Whappo
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
ANNOYANCE - overwrote my freeze state on Final Fantasy VI last night, lost hours of gameplay, AM SO SAD. :(

CONFUSION - gosh but Dragon Age looks complicated.

EXCITEDNESS - I named my dog in Dragon Age Hooch. Obviously.

Dave
07-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Dragon Age looks complicated on the surface, but the key is to be tactical. I'll be honest, when I first started playing the game it kinda threw me off and I didn't like the combat style. Give it some time, and the more you get used to it the more you will absolutely love it.

The aforesaid was obviously in reference to the combat system. I was assuming you were talking about that. Basically, what I did was get accustomed to creating the character, playing for a bit, realizing wtf was going on, and then created a character again, based on what I had learned. I will be surprised if you don't eventually have at least 4 characters you either fully play or tamper with.

I'm curious as to what you decided to make as your first character. :D

Whappo
07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah, the radial dial system seems a bit clunky to me just now, but I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it. Same with the quickset buttons.

Way back when Baldur's Gate came out, I'd always make my characters mages. Because magic is cool!!!1! But I think it often takes a certain kind of player or someone who knows the system/necessary tactics in order to fully utilise a mage. I'd always die too much early on because, in my experience, they can be a tough build.

So this time I've started with a human rogue. I think it'll gel well with my more cautious playing style, though I know rogues/thieves/rangers etc. can be tough builds too. And yeah, I'll probably mess around with a few different characters. I get the impression the game's quite non-linear, even within each origin story? So I'll be able to experiment with new characters without going through the same quests over and over and getting tired of them.

Also, it's hilarious bloody! Cartoonish, even. I love it.

Dave
07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Good luck with your Rogue. I highly advise always having one with you, whenever you decide to start another character, that is.

I love the 3D-like camera movement. 3D cartoonish gore is in!

wout
07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I played a few hours of DA and I created an elf rogue (I always go for the rogue/assassin/thief/archer kinda characters) but found the bow-arrow conbat quite annoying and I quit playing soon after...
Maybe I should persevere a bit more?

Whappo
07-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm finding combat really tough to get to grips with and it's as though it's mostly just button-mashing at the moment. And I find the cut scenes and dialogue kind of tedious (and repetitive!). But there's so much potential here that I'm going to stick with it and hope for the best.

Dave
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow, Wout, I didn't know you hadn't played it through. Yeah, I don't really like the archer theme in this game, but you do know you can set up each character to use both a bow and a sword, right? There's a little icon in the upper left corner of the character inventory screen where you can manually switch, but you can also set up the combat tactic slots to have the character change weapons automatically due to a particular scenario you choose.

Yeah, combat takes some getting used to, and, yes, it's like an advanced form of button mashing, but unless you have it set to easy you will not be able to just blindly fight through each battle. Many battles take time to think out (based on your difficulty setting), and I often think out each move for each character or party members will die or the entire party, myself included, will die.

Cut scenes tedious and repetitive? How so? There's a slew of dialogue in this game and I think the cut scenes and voice acting were done very well.

Yeah, definitely stick around for a while, I made the mistake of putting the game on hold and now I have come back entirely hooked! You have to like questing to like this game.

Wout, persevere!

Whappo
07-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I felt like I was getting told a lot of the same thing/ritual stuff I didn't care about early on. Like I'd get stuck in a conversation and think "I need to keep talking in case an important dialogue branch develops here, but YOU'RE SAYING THE SAME THING I ALREADY KNOW." Or some dude would be telling me about the initiation ritual in which Grey Wardens dance around a jam jar or something. Or that woman telling me the long and boring story of the dog that bit, demanding that I help tell the story every second sentence! SHUT UP, LADY. I guess I don't feel particularly immersed yet, maybe because of how genre-heavy a lot of it is.
Voice acting's great though. I just prefer the dialogue and voice acting I've heard in Fallout 3 so far, so I feel a bit spoiled.

Also, I don't think you can pause combat on consoles in the same way you can PC. I think the focus is more on fluid combat using quick buttons rather than the kind of tactical 'pause and set everyone up' stuff you'd get in Baldur's Gate. But I'm probably just being dense, I haven't explored it much yet. And I'm playing on casual because I'm rubbish!

Dave
07-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, I know I've heard the PC version is more difficult and needs more tactics, but I had no idea you couldn't pause the game. That would suck.

We differ in our views here, and that's fine. DA is my kind of game, just as much as Oblivion is. They're not everyone's cup of tea.

I hope you end up liking the game more.

Whappo
07-26-2010, 12:21 AM
I think I will! Obviously it's not a pick-up-and-play game, but something that gets more rewarding with time. I found Fallout a little trying and daunting at first, but as I've progressed I've come to absolutely love it. I think it really is the case that you get out what you put in. Hopefully I'll get a couple of hours in tomorrow and actually start doing stuff!

(I do love the character creation stuff though. Probably not as in-depth on consoles, but I love my guy! My guy is awesome.)

Dave
07-26-2010, 12:33 AM
;l Yeah, it's hard to not keep creating different chars. I'm already tempted to give a rogue archer a chance just to prove to myself that they aren't as bad (archer-wise) as I think. But I REALLY need to finish the game with my Cleric first b/c I can't keep restarting! :p

Jamiieee
07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Has anyone played Dragon Quest IX? Dragon Quest VIII is one of my alltime favourites but I'm really concerned about the alleged lack of character development for the rest of your battle party.

Watercolorstain
08-01-2010, 02:18 AM
FFXII is frustratingly difficult for me, so after 10 hours, it has to go on hold. I'm stuck at a boss who utterly annihilates me.

I started Persona 3 FES this morning - loving it so far.

FES is great, when i was about to reach the end i played till 7 AM the day before a test :P you should try P4 next, it has everything that P3 has and makes it better although your mileage may vary and about FFXII if you can get past the first few hours the game gets easier once you learn a few more gambits, if you have any problem let me know :)

Whappo
12-17-2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJf5_y1Rl9A

The weird part is that this song -- again, a death metal version of Final Fantasy's perennially favorite "Chocobo Theme" -- is official. It's part of the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII-2 soundtrack, as reported by eagle-eared Topless Roboteer Daniel K.
http://bentleywilliamsapologists.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/6a00d8341ccdc953ef011169010662970c-800wi1.jpg

Dave
12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I should have posted it in here, but I'm about to play Vindictus! Check out the "currently playing" thread.

halo eighteen
12-21-2011, 01:08 AM
I've been trying to make my way through the black sheep, Final Fantasy IIj, for a while now but keep getting distracted. The leveling system would be nice if it.. you know, actually worked.

Faust
12-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Aw, I love Final Fantasy II. Which version are you playing? Honestly, the best version is the most recent port (iOS and PSP). Also, the leveling system works a lot better in the port.

Speaking of old FFs, I still am hoping they someday release a 2D Final Fantasy III in the US; I love the NES version and the remake, but I want to play an updated 2D version, not a 3D one!

halo eighteen
12-21-2011, 01:55 AM
^
Ooooh, I have a fan translated NES rom of III, and that game gets ridiculously hard towards the end. Or maybe I'm just awful. I'd love a 2D remake of it too :(

as for II, I'm playing the PSX Origins version. I do have the PSP version too, and probably should have played that, but I promised myself I'd finish the Complete IV before I did anything else.. and I failed at that. IV has got to be my ultimate favorite. I just have way too many memories associated with that one, from back when it was called II hah.

Faust
12-21-2011, 02:34 AM
God, I'm still annoyed that the Wii VC ports call IV and VI II and III respectively; it's like way to undo all of the progress you made of disassociating those games with their wrong numbers, assholes.

Anyways, I keep telling myself to finish Complete IV, but I keep getting distracted.

III's actually not too hard, it's just not a very forgiving game. It's my favorite in the series though, so I'm a little biased on its difficulty.

halo eighteen
12-21-2011, 02:48 AM
I was really excited to play through the "Interlude" chapter as well as The After Years (which I never even finished on the Wii...) but I was like, "I'll just play through the original game first..."

Of course, I get to the final area of the Moon and realize I have to level the fuck up before I stop getting raped by everything and start losing interest. So I haven't even gotten to the parts of that game I bought it for yet.

I'm really, really bad with finishing long games now.

I kind of wish the Wii Virtual Console would sell all three original NES games... though that would probably require programming/translations. There's just something about those 8-bit graphics and the fact they're identical to the original NES game images.. It makes them feel like direct sequels and it's all so nostalgic.

Faust
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, I started FFXIII-2 this weekend. Dialogue is unsurprisingly clunky, but so far this is a far more cohesive sequel than X-2 was for X. It feels like Square actually made an effort in taking the sequel seriously this time; it doesn't come across as a crappy spin-off. Gameplay is also an improvement over XIII. I feel like there's a lot more to do and I'm barely 3 hours into the game. We'll see if it actually holds up.