PDA

View Full Version : The big unforumzed TRAVEL thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

entropy
07-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Where are you going? Where have you been? What is your dream vacation? Favorite trips? Got any tips?

Share them here!

jeth
07-03-2010, 09:34 PM
In three months and some change we are going to Vancouver, and we are taking a day trip to Seattle while we are there. I am totally stoked.

My dream trip would have been Iceland but it seems the time period we wanted to travel in was ridiculously priced, and I didn't want to wait six months or more for fares to go down to take a honeymoon. We'll go some other year. :)

ej
07-03-2010, 09:57 PM
My wife and I have another road trip planned this August. The plan is to spend time in a few of southern California's national parks, and to pass through (most notably) South Dakota and Wyoming on the way back. We'll be finalizing the trip plans over the next few weeks.

AzMoo
07-04-2010, 01:38 AM
In October I'm off to Copenhagen for a conference and while I'm at it I'll be spending a couple of days in the UK and a week in Iceland. I'm flying back into Brisbane, and from there to Airlie Beach to meet up with some friends. We'll be hiring one of these (http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats.php?de=72511) and cruising around the Whitsundays for ten days. I can't wait.

Scottish Mike
07-04-2010, 01:52 AM
^ I would love to go to Iceland - the land looks beautiful.
Stalking Tori round Europe (first time in Bruges, Zurich and Dublin!) then to Moscow in September.
Laos and Cambodia are my sooper dream destinations to the moment. A week cruising down the Mekong on a slowboat would be pretty sweet.

entropy
07-04-2010, 02:22 AM
So maybe I should reply to my own thread. In May, I was in Guatemala. The country is beautiful. I got to go to the ruins of Tikal, climb an active volcano and stand beside flowing lava. exciting!

I suppose I don't have a dream destination as I am interested in going anywhere and everywhere. I would like explore more of South America, having been to Colombia, Ecuador and Chile. I wish I had months to spend there, exploring all of South America.

entropy
07-04-2010, 02:23 AM
My wife and I have another road trip planned this August. The plan is to spend time in a few of southern California's national parks, and to pass through (most notably) South Dakota and Wyoming on the way back. We'll be finalizing the trip plans over the next few weeks.

Oh, enjoy. The husband and I were hoping to get to Montana this year to visit friends. The Bandlands park is amazing.

ej
07-04-2010, 02:29 AM
The Bandlands park is amazing.We drove through Badlands NP last summer, in fact (as well as Custer NP).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/3894907352_28ca663620_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neur0mancer/3894907352/)

The plan this year is to head back to the Hot Springs area to visit the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary (http://www.gwtc.net/~iram/). :)

entropy
07-04-2010, 03:26 AM
While reading a bit about the badlands park, I found out about this place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_M%C3%A9dulas "Las Medulas" I should visit here next summer when I am in Spain.

baronette
07-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Ah, great thread; if not for the vicarious experience alone!

I am going to London at the end of the month for ten days to see friends, one of whom I have not seen in seven years. I cannot wait. I haven't had a proper holiday in nearly 11 years - this is going to truly rock my world. Girls just wanna have fun 'n all that :D

Bee
07-04-2010, 08:03 AM
At the end of the month, I'm going to London for a 5-nt stay, and then on to a small hill town in Tuscany (San Marcello Pistoiese) for a two-week walking (hiking) holiday. We're using a British tour operator called Ramblers, who operate walking holidays all over the world. It's very very reasonable, and it's the same trip my mom and I took 15 years ago, and we're actually going with my mom and dad, so it will be wonderful to see how Italy has changed since the Euro. Also, how I've changed, and how my mom has changed.

We've made a pact between my bf and I to travel internationally every two summers (we are primary teachers). Next go round, I would really like to hike the Annapurnas in Nepal, or perhaps explore South America.

arsonist samael
07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm going to Kusadasi in Turkey for a seaside holiday with some friends in July. I'm more excited about a stay in Italy in August for a couple of weeks at a friend's house in a small village 10km off the coast and around 40km off Rome. Weee!

Kari
07-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I was in Costa Rica for 8 days this summer. It was amazing, and the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Next year, we're aiming for Barcelona!

iamstilljamiepoo
07-04-2010, 03:03 PM
My most memorable trip was probably to Australia. My former sis-in-law (damned divorce), is from there and her brothers kindly took me in for an entire month. I hung around Brisbane mostly, but spent a few days in Sydney, Port Macquarie, and the Great Barrier Reef. Incredible.

I liked London quite a bit, too.

You know, I've been to a lot of places internationally, but the best place I've been in the United States is Chicago. I mean, Chicago is great, but there are so many places here to see. I'm in New Mexico now, but it's not great. I am Eastern New Mexico, though, and it looks an awful lot like the Texas panhandle. Want to go: New York, Greece, and Ireland (been to Dublin but would love to further explore the country).

entropy
07-04-2010, 03:30 PM
There are lots of great places here. I have been to something like 40 out of the 50 states. When we left Arizona for Indiana, we drove through New Mexico at night. It was dusk which colored the land beautifully. In addition, on one side of the horizon was a beautiful full moon. On the other side, a lightening storm. At that moment, I understood why New Mexico is called "The land of Enchantment". It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

I also LOVE Chicago. Its my favorite American city.

Kari
07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I also love Chicago. It's a very special place to me, as my best friend now lives there, my other best friend used to live there, and I've had some AMAZING times in that crazy ass town. ;l

My favorite American city (besides NYC ;)) is San Francisco. Holy crap, that place was heaven to me. I'm sure I'd find stuff wrong with it if I lived there, but I thought it was PERFECT.

GirlForPele
07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
In 23 days I am off to Sweden for a week, cannot wait!

Jessy
07-04-2010, 05:18 PM
portland, crater lake, and the redwoods of northern cali in late august

san fran, monterey, and big sur in october! i can't wait!

just got back from a weekend in new orleans, and wow, it was so fabulous. i need to go back and spend a lot more time there!

Kala
07-06-2010, 05:46 AM
No vacation plans for this year.

Visited:

Australia, New Zealand
Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina, Colombia
China, Japan, Korea
Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama
US - all 50 states
Egypt, Morocco
Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Poland, Germany, England, Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland, Ireland, France, Italy, Sicily, Belgium, Gibraltar, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Malta
Bermuda, French Polynesia, Caribbean Islands

I'd like to:

Return to Italy
Visit Brazil
Do lots more hiking in the National Parks here in the US.

JayPeaches
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
So far this year:
Sedona and Phoenix, Arizona in February
NYC, New York in May & June
Denver, Colorado in June

Upcoming trip:
Munich, Germany in July/August

EUROPE
Italy (Florence, Venice, Padova, different towns around Lago di Garda, Parma, Isle of Capri, Naples)
Germany (Berchtesgaden, Frankfurt, Esslingen, Stuttgart, Cologne, and way too many more to mention)
France (Strasburg and a few other bordering towns)
Austria (Salzburg, Hellbrunn, and some other small mountain/resort towns)
Switzerland (Zurich)
England (London)

USA
California (Occidental, San Francisco, Hollywood, LA)
Georgia (Atlanta, Athens, Savannah, Augusta, and several small towns)
Florida (Orlando, Jacksonville, St. Augustine)
South Carolina (Columbia, Hilton Head Island, Hunting Island, Charleston)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Winston-Salem)
Virginia (Alexandria)
Washington, DC
New Orleans, LA
Texas (Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Round Rock, New Braunfels, San Antonio, South Padre Island)

beKa
07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Wow, Kala, you have traveled a lot!

So far this year I've been to Austin and Dallas, Texas, Maine (family is there so I go up at least 2 or 3 x a year) and this weekend I'm going to Newport. My boyfriend and I are trying to travel each year, so next year we may start with New Orleans, and then California is next on the agenda - Big Sur, Carmel, Napa, San Fran - can't wait, i've always wanted to see the West Coast! (I'm in CT).

I only first went on a plane in 2007. I'm trying to make up for lost time! On the recent flight to Texas I sat next to a woman who was an archaeologist in Jordan. You meet the most interesting people!

Dream destinations - Spain, and lots of Italy - the Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Corsica. I've always wanted to see Peru and Egypt especially and all the less traveled places. Lonely Planet highlights a lot of them.

entropy
07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I have visited

Europe: Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Switzerland.

Americas: Canada, USA (all except New England and Alaska), Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, The Cayman Islands

Asia: Japan

Africa; Morocco

eednic
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM

So far this year I've been to Austin and Dallas, Texas, Maine (family is there so I go up at least 2 or 3 x a year) and this weekend I'm going to Newport. My boyfriend and I are trying to travel each year, so next year we may start with New Orleans, and then California is next on the agenda - Big Sur, Carmel, Napa, San Fran - can't wait, i've always wanted to see the West Coast! (I'm in CT).

I only first went on a plane in 2007. I'm trying to make up for lost time! On the recent flight to Texas I sat next to a woman who was an archaeologist in Jordan. You meet the most interesting people!

Dream destinations - Spain, and lots of Italy - the Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Corsica. I've always wanted to see Peru and Egypt especially and all the less traveled places. Lonely Planet highlights a lot of them.

If you end up going to New Orleans let me know! Mayhaps I could meet you there if I drove over!

This year I've been to Washington D.C. and I think that's about it. I doubt I'll travel out of state again this year unless it's for work. Budget crunchin'!

Kala
07-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I've been very fortunate in that I have done quite a bit of traveling. Italy is one of my favorite destinations. You must see the Amalfi Coast - I've been there twice and it is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited. Sicily is GORGEOUS. Peru is fabulous too - I loved our vacation to Machu Picchu and Cuzco. And Egypt! I still remember the awe I felt when first seeing the Pyramids & Sphinx. Plus walking through the Khan Al-Khalili is an experience I will never forget.

Jessy
07-12-2010, 01:14 AM
if anyone could provide me some ABSOLUTE must-do's for san fran (i will only have about a day and a half there) please let me know! where to eat, what to visit, what to see, etc.

we have alcatraz tour on our list of must-do's so far. oh and riding a cable car.

Frangipani
07-12-2010, 02:16 AM
go up to the top of Twin Peaks- great view of the city there. Go see graffiti and eat Mexican in the Mission District, Bart stops at 16th & 24th @ Mission. The Academy of Sciences has just been redone. Its gorgeous, it's next to the Japanese Botanical Gardens. Haight & Ashbury is always a good touristy time, you can walk to Golden Gate Park from there and hang out and watch midwesterner transplants pretend to be hippies in the park playing their drums with no rhythm...The noodle house across the street from Ameoba Music (in the haight, before the park)is cheap and outstanding.

For good middle eastern food go to Naan & Curry, there are a few scattered around the city. Delish.

The Warf is only good for the seals and the trolley pick up...
ummm thats all i can remember right now

While youre there, know that youre in heaven ;)

eresos
07-12-2010, 03:40 AM
not traveling anytime soon b/c i need a job. funny - with a job - no time. without a job plenty time but- no money

my wanderlust will live through you all this summer. :)

places i've been:

Canada-winterpeg,toronto,montreal,quebec USA-maine,NH,Vermont,MA,NY,PA,Delaware,Maryland,DC,South Carolina, Florida,Ohio,Texas,Colorado,California,Arizona, Hawaii
various Carribean Islands

Greece (my beloved Eresos (http://www.sapphogarden.net/images/ulla/ERESSOS_SUNSET_FOTO_ULLA_KLEIN.jpg),Lesvos; Thesoloniki,Athens,Peleponese,Mykanos,Santorini,Crete,Rhodes, & more)
UK, France, Monaco, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Cyprus, Israel (day trip but it counts!)

Places I want to go:

What I really want to do is a cross country trip in the northern part of the US - america is really beautiful & i'd love to see it all

Asia - especially India & Bali
Australia & New Zealand
Iceland

Faust
07-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Jealous of everyone's travels. I took a two week trip to Italy and Sicily last summer, but otherwise, I haven't gotten the chance to do much travel.

toriMODE
07-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Went to New York City in April to see my old roommate. Went out almost every night. Went to the touristy places. The city is way expensive, but also very diverse, fun, and fast-paced. The last place I went to was to Orlando for Gay Disney. Went to the theme parks during the day, and partied at night. It was a lot of fun, but not something I feel the need to repeat.

I would love to go to Chicago and Miami, and all over Europe eventually.

wout
07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Ever since we got a car, I very much prefer to go on holiday with the car instead of flying. Downside, of course, is the limited choice of destinations but Europe has plenty to offer!

Visited:
UK (north wales, all over scotland, london, kent, sussex)
Sweden (the south)
Spain (Barcelona, the beaches)
Italy (Venice, Cinque Terre)
Austria (salzburgerland)
Croatia (Pula)
Germany (all over, gorgeous!!!)
France (vosges, paris)
Hungary
Tsjech republic (prague)
New York City

Really want to go to:
Washington State
Japan
Norway

Next trip:
Como lake, italy

fox in socks
07-12-2010, 09:30 AM
ive been to a few places, but not enough. as said above--no job=no money, plenty o' time. job=money, no time. stupid american "holiday" system. new job and new house this year so both time and cash are limitied but, i might be in omgnyc in august for a conference (not sure if that counts as tourist fun), washington/oregon in septemberish, london/dublin or something in the winter. not sure about 2011--except possible shetland/orkney in scotland in june for some semi-midnight sun. which would be crazy awesome.

in the meantime, i vicariously live!

JonBcn
07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Going to Dubrovnik in September, from where I intend to see as much of Croatia, the Dalmatian Coast and islands, and Montenegro as possible. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear them!

wout
07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
^ yes, Pula!

http://andreisandor.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/pula.jpg

Stephanie
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Going to Costa Rica for sister-in-law's wedding in January! First real trip since hubby & I got married in 2006, so I'm super excited PLUS we're leaving the child behind with my mom so it's a week at an all-inclusive resort BABY FREE!!!! I cannot wait to act like I have no care in the world for an entire week.

AzMoo
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Going to Dubrovnik in September, from where I intend to see as much of Croatia, the Dalmatian Coast and islands, and Montenegro as possible. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear them!

No recommendations (I haven't been there myself) but I'm told Croatia is amazing. Beautiful, friendly and relatively cheap. I think you'll have a great time!

Scottish Mike
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
One of my friends just got back from Croatia and his photos are fantastic, it looks gorgeous. Enjoy :)

Just back from Brugge. It is a gorgeous city. Very medieval, loads of churches and canals, lovely beer and food. I definitely want to go back again, see it properly.

Wout, North Wales is gorgeous [post28] I usually go camping there every year near a little town called Bala. It's go a huge lake and is in the middle of the countryside.

JayPeaches
07-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Looks like we're going to get the hookup while we're in Germany, and be able to drive over to Zurich and stay with a friend of mine's parents for an evening! I'm SO EXCITED! I love getting the local's perspective of places. :)

Scottish Mike
07-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Will you be going through anywhere in the Black Forest? You have to take photos!!

I went to Oslo 5 years ago and ended up chatting with quite a few locals. It's always so interesting hearing things that you normally don't read about in guidebooks.

Kari
07-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Going to Costa Rica for sister-in-law's wedding in January! First real trip since hubby & I got married in 2006, so I'm super excited PLUS we're leaving the child behind with my mom so it's a week at an all-inclusive resort BABY FREE!!!! I cannot wait to act like I have no care in the world for an entire week.

Eee! I just went there last month. It's BEAUTIFUL.

Kari
07-13-2010, 12:35 AM
i might be in omgnyc in august for a conference (not sure if that counts as tourist fun)

It will count as tourist fun if you call me and we go out for drinks.

JayPeaches
07-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Will you be going through anywhere in the Black Forest? You have to take photos!!

Yes! We'll do a day trip of driving through the Black Forest during the Ravensburg portion of our trip. I'm glad you mentioned it, because I called my Mom (she's German) and she suggested we check out Vogtsbauernhof (http://en.vogtsbauernhof.org/). It's one of those open-air musuems where people are dressed in the clothing of the time period. She said I've been there, but I was probably like 3 or something so I don't remember.

SweetPea
07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Just got back from a 2 nt stay in Mendocino, CA (on Sunday). We go at least once a year because I am in love with the coast and the amazing weather. Seriously, 65(f) degree high in July & August? Yes please!

The husband has traveled much more than I have: France, Amsterdam, England, Vermont, and New York... I'll admit I am jealous ;) We're hoping to go to England at some point but with the way things are right now, well, it probably won't happen for a while.

JonBcn
07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
thanks for the Croatia feedback, makes me even more keen!

I'm also going to Moscow for the first time in October for a business trip, but am hoping to stay on for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a good museum on Russian/Soviet history? The whole Cold War era fascinates me, but I'm not sure if such a thing even exists there...

wout
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Wout, North Wales is gorgeous [post28] I usually go camping there every year near a little town called Bala. It's go a huge lake and is in the middle of the countryside.

We went to Conwy and Betws-y-Coed, a bit more to the North on the borders of Snowdonia. But yeah, I totally fell for the place.
I mean, look:

http://www.editlive.co.uk/admin/images/84Betws.jpg

Also, Black Forest, yes! Freiburg is a lovely little town and the scenery is amazing. I spent a great week there last year.
In 6 weeks I'm going to Italy and we're making a stop somewhere in the black forest (don't know where yet).
Germany is such a great country for travelling.

JonBcn
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
^ I am British and I am ashamed to say that while I have travelled the world, I have never been to Wales. I know England like the back of my hand, and have lived in the highlands of Scotland too. I must correct this.

Frangipani
07-13-2010, 11:22 AM
omgnyc in august for a conference (not sure if that counts as tourist fun), washington/oregon in septemberish, london/dublin or something in the winter. not sure about 2011--except possible shetland/orkney in scotland in june for some semi-midnight sun. which would be crazy awesome.

in the meantime, i vicariously live!

oh that sounds TERRIBLE. Poor you.

:p

fox in socks
07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
oh that sounds TERRIBLE. Poor you.

inorite!?!?!? thank you for understanding my pain!!!! btw, this thread is useless without pictures to facilitate said vicarious living. im talking to you brugges and croatia!!

Scottish Mike
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I would love to go to the Orkneys at some point to see Scara Brae.
There was an article in Nat Geo a few month ago featuring photography from the Western Hebrides. I've wanted to go to the Isle of Lewis to see the stone circle at Callanish for years.

And my stupid camera died in Brugge :( So I will have to go back to get some photos!

Lathan
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I went on a cruise for the first time in June and really enjoyed it. We spent two days in Miami, took a four night Norwegian cruise to Freeport, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas, and then went to Orlando for two days. It was fun.

We're planning a trip to Iceland in November (!) for my bf's birthday. I haven't really researched the particulars yet, so I don't know what we'll be doing day-to-day. I'll take suggestions if you have them.

tully
07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I am flying out to Seattle next Tuesday afternoon, spending a couple of days there with my two college friends, and then we're off to a cruise to Alaska for the following week! I'm very excited. I've wanted to go there since I was fifteen.

I'll be in the Outer Banks in August, but that's mostly a lazy beach vacation than proper travel.

menju56
07-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Might be going to Amsterdam for a few days (on the cheap, really) in a couple of months. Never been.

Predictable/silly question time, but: Is it good? Recommendations etc welcome! :)

JAE
07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Amsterdam is lovely - I head over about once a year for a few days when I can get a cheap flight. I find it's one of those cities that it's best not to go with any major plans, you should just sort of walk around and soak it up and find out where you end up. I had a pretty good central but reasonable hotel room when I went a few weeks ago, I'm not sure on the name of it but I'll have a wee look. Any other time I've went I've camped or stayed in a hostel and if you're looking to go on the cheap and are prepared to do one of those then they can both be great experiences - I camped at a place called Camping Zeeburg a couple of years in a row and that was pretty fun - it was slightly out of the city centre but there was a tram that ran right to it. I guess it all depends on the people you're going with too.

entropy
07-16-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll be in the Outer Banks in August, but that's mostly a lazy beach vacation than proper travel.

I'll be there in about 2 weeks. But I am from that area, I'll be visiting family. I hope to get some beach lounging in during the visit however.

Lathan
07-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Might be going to Amsterdam for a few days (on the cheap, really) in a couple of months. Never been.

Predictable/silly question time, but: Is it good? Recommendations etc welcome! :)
I loved Amsterdam. It's been a while, so I don't remember a whole lot of specifics, but I do remember that I loved just walking around. There's a ton of museums and I'm sure you can find a few depending on your tastes. There's a hidden Catholic church in an attic that was cool. I remember The Resistance Museum was pretty inspiring (and good to go to after the Anne Frank house).

menju56
07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tips, sounds good! :)

baronette
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
15 more sleeps til London and a reunion with two dear friends :-D

baronette
08-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Had an absolute ball in Blighty <3 Got back two days ago, but had an awful bout of jetlag/heatstroke so a huge come down...
Visited Abbey Road, Notting Hill, Globe Theatre (saw Henry VIII and cried upon the actors coming out on stage).... trained up to Newcastle...
I miss my lovelies over there so much. Wanna go back waaaaah!

emptytuileries
08-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Going to NYC in a couple days. Never been there before. So, what are some not well-known places I can check out?

Cunter Fartlett
08-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Amsterdam is fantastic, Menju. Like ed said, all you need to do is walk around. Anne Frank house, Van Gogh Museum, Albert Cuyp Day Market, you can take gondolas in the canals, Leidseplein square, The Red Light District (you have to check that out). And of course take a look in the coffee shops! Even if you don't smoke. If you do, rent a hookah and some hash and sit by the canal!

We just booked a trip up to Vermont for the colors changing in October! I haven't been up there since 2005, looking forward to it!

GirlForPele
08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Sweden was absolutely amazing and I'm planning to go back (hopefully!) in March! :D

Lo
08-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Pretty sure I'm going to Brazil in March. Suuuuper excited!

FaerieDreamer
08-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Anyone have any travel tips or ideas for Hawaii? Or possibly southern Mexico? We are looking at planning for a trip for next year, for our 10th anniversary. I want someplace with a beach, but also somewhat exotic. I've never been to Hawaii although my husband has. Ive been to Mexico, but more north/central areas. Don't know yet if the kids will be invited. *laugh*

Frangipani
08-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Hawaii is gorgeous. Most people I know who vacation there prefer Oahu & Maui to the rest of the islands. Kauai is beautiful if you're looking for that desolate jungely feeling. I've spent my Chritmases & summers in Maui since I was born (my family lives there), so I could tell you where to find fantastic banana pancakes. Great hiking, Haleakala crater, beaches to boogie board on, too.

Dont know much about mexico. Obviously it should be waaaay cheaper. I bet there are plenty of options to do it resort style and have it be all inclusive.

Lathan
11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
I got back last night from a week in Iceland. It was a great time!

Some highlights:

http://a.imageshack.us/img337/4426/01bluelagoon.jpg
Direct from the airport we visited the Blue Lagoon, and spent a few hours in a milky-white lake held in a lava field, fed from a huge geothermal plant. The temperature was about freezing, so the near 100 degree water was steamy and surreal. It was very sulpher-y and silica-y and very relaxing (And as you can see, at "high noon" the sun was not very high at this time of year.)

http://a.imageshack.us/img607/2519/02seasideview.jpg
Beautiful scenery heading towards Reykjavik, Thverfellshorn in the background. The country only has 320,000 inhabitants and 200,000 or so like in and around Reykjavik, so the rest of the country is pretty sparsely populated. Lots of pretty scenes.

http://a.imageshack.us/img573/4439/03northernlights.jpg
We got to see the Northern Lights on a bus tour. (And again out driving.) This picture was "adjusted" by the tour guide. We could see them, but they weren't that green. I reserve the right to adopt the pictures as my memories though.

http://a.imageshack.us/img254/8389/04cityviewk.jpg
Here's a view of Reykjavik from the top of the largest building, the church Hallgrimskirkja.

http://a.imageshack.us/img98/2238/05snowysunset.jpg
The sunset during a snowstorm as we were driving through (I think) Hjardharfell.

http://a.imageshack.us/img254/715/06kerithcrater.jpg
The Kerith crater, a lake in an inactive volcano.

http://a.imageshack.us/img258/8297/07strokkirgeysir.jpg
Strokkir, an active geyser next to Geyser, the now inactive geyser that gave them all their name. Strokkir goes off every four minutes or so.

http://a.imageshack.us/img585/8594/08strokkirgeysir.jpg
And the plume of steam following the eruption. Driving though the countryside, you could see plumes of steam rising from the numerous geysers and hot springs dotting the landscape.

http://a.imageshack.us/img690/6973/09gullfossfalls.jpg
The partially frozen falls at Gullfoss, the largest in Iceland. They were pretty spectacular.

http://a.imageshack.us/img263/3091/10continentaldivide.jpg
And finally, at Thingvellir, the site of the first parliment in Iceland, a crack where the North American and European plates are separating at a centemeter or two a year.

JayPeaches
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow, Lathan. That looks incredible! Do you have family/friends in Iceland or was that just somewhere you wanted to visit?

Lathan
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM
It was incredible. I don't think my pictures really did justice to it either.

A group of us went for my bf's birthday. It's a place he's always wanted to go. (He won't admit it, but I honestly think the reason is Björk. He's a big fan.)

beKa
11-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I was just about to say, get ready for some Bjork jokes!

Ed: I just got back from Iceland, and boy is my throglandsdottir tired!

oh, and lovely pictures! Iceland would be on my list of Places To See.

Rabih
11-23-2010, 10:21 PM
It was incredible. I don't think my pictures really did justice to it either.
Lovely photos Lathan! I went there twice in the summer (July) and seeing the same places I visited but in a different season is surely different (I never saw Gulfoss frozen). And you got to see the Northern Lights :D

As to me, I'll head to Dubai in December. Most boring place EVER. Oh wait, that could even be Abu Dhabi, its (older) evil sister :rolleyes:

Chalk
11-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Pretty sure I'm going to Brazil in March. Suuuuper excited!

Brazil is fun and bearable in March. Are planning you going anywhere specifically or just travelling around the country?

Lo
11-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Brazil is fun and bearable in March. Are planning you going anywhere specifically or just travelling around the country?

We will be spending most of our time in Rio because it will be Carnaval and we want to experience the city during that time. There are a few days at the end of our trip where we might do a short trip... Maybe Buzios, Paraty or Ilha Grande. I am still doing my research. But, plane ticket has been booked so it's a definite!!

Fernanda
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
We will be spending most of our time in Rio because it will be Carnaval and we want to experience the city during that time. There are a few days at the end of our trip where we might do a short trip... Maybe Buzios, Paraty or Ilha Grande. I am still doing my research. But, plane ticket has been booked so it's a definite!!

Buzios has better beaches. Paraty is great from the history point of view, but the beaches suck. I've been to Ilha Grande for just one day, can't tell you that much about the place. I hope you enjoy your stay in Rio! Do you know exactly where you'll stay?

Jonathan
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Spain next summer! I'll be going with a few friends of mine, and it should be absolutely memorable.

I CANNOT WAIT.

Jessy
11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I got back last night from a week in Iceland. It was a great time!

http://a.imageshack.us/img607/2519/02seasideview.jpg
Beautiful scenery heading towards Reykjavik, Thverfellshorn in the background. The country only has 320,000 inhabitants and 200,000 or so like in and around Reykjavik, so the rest of the country is pretty sparsely populated. Lots of pretty scenes.

http://a.imageshack.us/img573/4439/03northernlights.jpg
We got to see the Northern Lights on a bus tour. (And again out driving.) This picture was "adjusted" by the tour guide. We could see them, but they weren't that green. I reserve the right to adopt the pictures as my memories though.

http://a.imageshack.us/img254/8389/04cityviewk.jpg
Here's a view of Reykjavik from the top of the largest building, the church Hallgrimskirkja.

http://a.imageshack.us/img98/2238/05snowysunset.jpg
The sunset during a snowstorm as we were driving through (I think) Hjardharfell.

http://a.imageshack.us/img254/715/06kerithcrater.jpg
The Kerith crater, a lake in an inactive volcano.

http://a.imageshack.us/img258/8297/07strokkirgeysir.jpg
Strokkir, an active geyser next to Geyser, the now inactive geyser that gave them all their name. Strokkir goes off every four minutes or so.

http://a.imageshack.us/img585/8594/08strokkirgeysir.jpg
And the plume of steam following the eruption. Driving though the countryside, you could see plumes of steam rising from the numerous geysers and hot springs dotting the landscape.

http://a.imageshack.us/img690/6973/09gullfossfalls.jpg
The partially frozen falls at Gullfoss, the largest in Iceland. They were pretty spectacular.

http://a.imageshack.us/img263/3091/10continentaldivide.jpg
And finally, at Thingvellir, the site of the first parliment in Iceland, a crack where the North American and European plates are separating at a centemeter or two a year.

love you pics!! i am totally planning my honeymoon in iceland next summer. we're hoping it will work out, but we'll see.

only possible trip coming up is New York with my fiance since he has to go there for work. im excited since i've never been there before!

Lathan
11-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I would love to go back in the summer some time. I'm sure if would be a whole different experience.

Lo
11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Buzios has better beaches. Paraty is great from the history point of view, but the beaches suck. I've been to Ilha Grande for just one day, can't tell you that much about the place. I hope you enjoy your stay in Rio! Do you know exactly where you'll stay?

Thanks!! I think we are leaning towards Buzios because it's the closest to Rio (if I am remembering correctly). Well, I've been getting all my advice on where to stay from the TripAdvisor forums. Basically they say Ipanema is nicer and maybe safer than Copacabana, but the apartment agency we are working with barely has any Ipanema flats left and they are all very expensive. So we are staying in Copacabana. I think. If you have any advice about this I would love to hear it!

Fernanda
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks!! I think we are leaning towards Buzios because it's the closest to Rio (if I am remembering correctly). Well, I've been getting all my advice on where to stay from the TripAdvisor forums. Basically they say Ipanema is nicer and maybe safer than Copacabana, but the apartment agency we are working with barely has any Ipanema flats left and they are all very expensive. So we are staying in Copacabana. I think. If you have any advice about this I would love to hear it!

I think Ipanema is more "calm" than Copacabana, which has a greater population. I think you'll do fine there, though! In those areas, you can do things a lot by walking, so it's a lot easier to stay there, you know. But in the Carnaval period, it can be very crowded! There are lots of "parties" on the streets, but always be careful with your money and your eletronics. I think this is a good advice for any big city, right? And Buzios is AMAZING. It can be a little bit crowded, but the beaches are fantastic. Try the "Azedinha" beach! ;)

(I live near Barra da Tijuca, which is kinda far from Copacabana. Usually, people who live in Copa and Ipanema HATE Barra da Tijuca, but I quite like it!)

Fernanda
11-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Have you been watching the news? War in Rio. Cars and buses being burned down, people being killed, everybody is scared. I'm too afraid of going to work today, where criminals just burned down a car. I know you'll only travel in february, but be careful!

EnjoyJoy
11-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Spain next summer! I'll be going with a few friends of mine, and it should be absolutely memorable.

I CANNOT WAIT.

You know I live there, (here) right?

Germany on December! :D Posted this elsewhere, but it's easy to get excited.

Lo
11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Have you been watching the news? War in Rio. Cars and buses being burned down, people being killed, everybody is scared. I'm too afraid of going to work today, where criminals just burned down a car. I know you'll only travel in february, but be careful!

I have been watching and have been thinking of you!! Be careful, girl! This news isn't going to stop me from visiting right now (actually traveling in March), but is certainly scary and concerning... I will have to see how everything goes and hopefully things improve for you guys!! Stay safe!!

Fernanda
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you! It seems everything is getting calm now. I've never seen so many police officers on the streets before! That makes me feel safe. I'm glad you'll definitely going to visit Rio! ;)

Lo
12-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Yay, me too! So my friend I'm traveling with now wants to only stay in Ipanema. Which is fine, just a lot more $$$. The apartment search begins again!

secretsekertary
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
My honey pie and I were thinking we'd do a road trip of the great American West for our honeymoon. But then started realizing that when we have kids, which we plan to to pretty quickly, we won't have a chance to travel abroad just the two of us for like, 10 years or more. So, now we're thinking about traveling the Rhineland. It's a big change. And will probably cost a lot more. But eeeeeeek!

wout
12-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Rhineland as in Germany? It's so beautiful there... small medieval villages, absolutely incredible castles, great wines and stunning rock formations.
If you go, read up on some of the old romantics and their paintings and poems: it'll truly add to the experience!
(also, if time permits: schloss neuschwanstein may be touristy but it is oh so pretty! Worth the detour!)

secretsekertary
12-03-2010, 10:12 PM
OMG OMG just thinking about it is making me giddy! Thanks for the recommendations, Wout!

wout
12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
You're welcome! I've been in that area a few times so if you have any questions, just shoot :)

Fernanda
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Yay, me too! So my friend I'm traveling with now wants to only stay in Ipanema. Which is fine, just a lot more $$$. The apartment search begins again!

Yeah, Ipanema can be quite expensive, but it's such a beautiful place! You'll love it!

JayPeaches
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
My honey pie and I were thinking we'd do a road trip of the great American West for our honeymoon. But then started realizing that when we have kids, which we plan to to pretty quickly, we won't have a chance to travel abroad just the two of us for like, 10 years or more. So, now we're thinking about traveling the Rhineland. It's a big change. And will probably cost a lot more. But eeeeeeek!

It'll be worth every penny. The last time we were in that part of Germany, we packed lunch, snacks, and drinks and spent 10 hours driving along the Rhine river, stopping at any castle that looked interesting. I second Wout's recommendation to visit Neuschwanstein. Yes, it's touristy, but it's beautiful and there's nothing like it in the world!

Also, depending on where in the Rhineland region you stay, you may be pretty close to Frankfurt. In that case, I'd plan on spending a night or two there and having dinner in the Sachsenhausen district (and drink some of the Apfelwein, each restaurant has their own brew). Frankfurt has some great museums and I've always loved the juxtaposition of the traditional city hall against the modern skyscrapers. It's an aesthetically interesting city with plenty of fantastic shopping opportunities.

If you do decide to go, keep us posted! My Mom was born and raised in Frankfurt and grew up traveling the Rheinland area, so between her and Wout I think we could give you some great recommendations!

secretsekertary
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Radical!

JayPeaches
12-07-2010, 04:38 PM
PS My parents got married at Frankfurt city hall! So I always get a little misty-eyed when I see it. :)

We're going to Pasadena in January. Has anyone ever been there/have any recommendations? I know it's close to LA, and I've actually been there, but I was in high school on a band trip, so, ya know. Didn't see much.

Chalk
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm going to spend the new year weekend in London. Any suggestion to where to go on new years eve?

lexa
12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm going to spend the new year weekend in London. Any suggestion to where to go on new years eve?

Here's some clubbing options that just came through Twitter http://londonist.com/2010/12/new-years-eve-top-clubbing-tips.php

I don't even know if there'll be any fireworks. I'm heading out of London for NYE.

SoulQuake
12-20-2010, 04:33 PM

As much as I dearly love the American West, I say go abroad, otherwise you'll regret not going when you had the chance! The one thing that's tempering my eagerness to start a family is the long list of things I want to do that would be harder with kids in tow.

Also, my other half and I had a trip to France in mind for our honeymoon, but after the wedding was all paid for, we really didn't have enough left for a honeymoon, so we never took one. That is the only thing that I still regret. But I will get my honeymoon to France, damn it! Even if it's 20 years late.

ebby
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Someone shot this around my city on New Year's Day, and makes the place look absolutely gorgeous, and is even better than any travel ad I've seen. <insert tenuous link to thread here>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yR-F9YWdA

Rabih
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
So where is everyone's heading this year and/or what is on your travel wishlist in 2011?
I'd love to visit Portugal this year!

lexa
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
My travel wishlist keeps getting more and more ridiculous. I want to go to hard-to-get-to places which will take loads of planning and £s :(

If I think in terms of reality, I'd like to go back to Edinburgh and see some more of Scotland.

Andreas
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I second Wout's recommendation to visit Neuschwanstein. Yes, it's touristy, but it's beautiful and there's nothing like it in the world!

This might sound crazy, but I'm not a huge fan of Neuschwanstein. It's way too Disney for me. There are so many gorgeous/impressive castles in Germany (and the rest of Europe), why single out a mid-19th century fake-medieval pleasure palace? Though I agree that the landscape around it is amazing.

Lágnætti
01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Hopefully I will be in Leipzig for a couple of days in early February. I want to see the Stasi museum and the Volkerschlachtdenkmal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Battle_of_the_Nations) but anyone been there and have any other recommendations?

SoulQuake
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
My husband and I are flying out to Albuquerque in just under a month to visit my grandfather for a few days in Jemez Springs then driving up to Denver to stay for a few days with my best friend. I can't wait for this trip to get here. It's no overseas trip, but it's the first vacation we've had together in several years and the first time he'll be seeing that part of the country, which also happens to be my favorite. Also the first time we will have been on a plane together (after almost 9 years!), and the first trip I've ever planned myself. It's going to be a trip of firsts. I just wish February would get here now.

JayPeaches
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
This might sound crazy, but I'm not a huge fan of Neuschwanstein. It's way too Disney for me. There are so many gorgeous/impressive castles in Germany (and the rest of Europe), why single out a mid-19th century fake-medieval pleasure palace? Though I agree that the landscape around it is amazing.

I used to feel that way, and it's why I've avoided it for the last 15 years...but T and I went there over the summer and I regretted not re-visiting it sooner. It's impressively decorated (yes, to the point of being overdone, but that's what's so weirdly amazing about it), there's a little bit of mystery, and the landscape is breathtaking. Totally worth the trip. I didn't think it was even remotely Disney (other than the fact that the Sleeping Beauty castle in Disneyland is based on it, Neuschwanstein itself is nothing like Disney).

Rabih
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Hopefully I will be in Leipzig for a couple of days in early February. I want to see the Stasi museum and the Volkerschlachtdenkmal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Battle_of_the_Nations) but anyone been there and have any other recommendations?
I've been there this October. But I was there for a couple of days for the Leipzig International Documentary and Animation film festival. I didn't see much but you could tell it changed radically from being one of the pillar cities of East Germany to a very modern city. Enjoy it :)

Stephanie
01-03-2011, 05:46 PM
18 days until we leave for Costa Rica! WOOOOOO!

Zomino
01-04-2011, 06:48 AM
My three major trips this year are Hawaii (Kona) in Feb, Vegas in July and Mexico for Xmas!

wout
01-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Oh it's absolutely all-out and overblown but that's the whole idea!
19th century makes it authentically old enough for me ;)

fox in socks
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
not sure about 2011--except possible shetland/orkney in scotland in june for some semi-midnight sun. which would be crazy awesome.
oh travels...so thats ^ still happening. plus possibly las vegasish in february and out west (montana?) around septemberish. and possibly a long camping weekend in vermontish or something. and of course my vicarious living through you lot.

wout
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Moar Germany! This, I have decided, will be my next German-related trip:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3650/3490185235_4eac173b57.jpg

Saxon Switzerland, in the east near Dresden. Gorgeous!!!

lexa
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Wout, I just watched a TV program about walking in that area. It looks absolutely amazing!

Jessy
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
hopefully we will be going to the white sands in new mexico and possibly the petrified forest/painted desert in arizona in march.

iceland for our honeymoon in august !! 4 nights reykjavik with horseback riding, blue lagoon, snowmobiling and snorkeling between the continents and a jeep tour of the interior for our planned excursions. then renting a car to drive around the ring road and visit the black sands of vik, glacier hiking in the skaftafell area, the jokularsalon lagoon, an visiting the krafla/lake myvatn area.

this is all hoping a volcano or something doesn't hinder our plans ;)

wout
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Wout, I just watched a TV program about walking in that area. It looks absolutely amazing!

Ha, we probably watched the same show then, bbc right? 4 parts about German walks?
That's what prompted me! I already wanted to go to that area as those mountains are pretty iconic but seeing that program on tv sealed the deal.

(also, caspar david friedrich is one of my favorite painters)

lexa
01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Ha, we probably watched the same show then, bbc right? 4 parts about German walks?
That's what prompted me! I already wanted to go to that area as those mountains are pretty iconic but seeing that program on tv sealed the deal.

(also, caspar david friedrich is one of my favorite painters)

Yup! With Julia Bradbury. I watched it just because I was bored. I don't know much about Germany but that series made me want to visit every place mentioned, even the area with the old Nazi holiday resort that never was. Saxon Switzerland was particularly appealing though.

Scottish Mike
01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Iceland for our honeymoon in august !! 4 nights reykjavik with horseback riding, blue lagoon, snowmobiling and snorkeling between the continents and a jeep tour of the interior for our planned excursions. then renting a car to drive around the ring road and visit the black sands of vik, glacier hiking in the skaftafell area, the jokularsalon lagoon, an visiting the krafla/lake myvatn area.

I've been finding Iceland more and more appealing. It's such a beautiful country and I hope to get there at some point.

Yup! With Julia Bradbury. I watched it just because I was bored. I don't know much about Germany but that series made me want to visit every place mentioned, even the area with the old Nazi holiday resort that never was. Saxon Switzerland was particularly appealing though.

Yes, I saw an episode of that the other week and now want to walk round Germany.

Andreas
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I used to feel that way, and it's why I've avoided it for the last 15 years...but T and I went there over the summer and I regretted not re-visiting it sooner. It's impressively decorated (yes, to the point of being overdone, but that's what's so weirdly amazing about it), there's a little bit of mystery, and the landscape is breathtaking. Totally worth the trip. I didn't think it was even remotely Disney (other than the fact that the Sleeping Beauty castle in Disneyland is based on it, Neuschwanstein itself is nothing like Disney).

Oh it's absolutely all-out and overblown but that's the whole idea!
19th century makes it authentically old enough for me ;)

Haha I guess I'm too used to our decidedly more restrained castles here in Sweden. And even here I prefer the more austere medieval castles to the 17th and 18th century ones. I'm an archaeologist, I'm hardwired to prefer old stuff. :)

toriMODE
01-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I got my passport as I plan to go on a cruise to Cozumel! I'm mucho excited!

Lathan
01-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I went to Iceland in November and I can't praise it highly enough. It was a great trip.

It's likely that I would go to Puerto Rico, Charlotte, NC and/or Salt Lake City, UT this year.

On my long-term wishlist is Peru, Egypt and Germany.

Rabih
01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I went to Iceland in November and I can't praise it highly enough. It was a great trip.
On my long-term wishlist is Peru, Egypt and Germany.
Iceland IS highly praised. I went there twice and it's just beyond beautiful.
As to Egypt, well, it's Egypt. Don't mind the Egyptians AND their food if you happen to go ;l Apart from that, it's still epic.

Lo
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm also gonna make Egypt happen in the next couple years. That's the place I've wanted to visit since I was a kid.

Simon
01-17-2011, 04:12 AM
I actually want to go to Iceland soon
and not only for a small trip , I would like to stay there maybe 4 - 5 months . Does anyone have great websites to find all important information if I want to live there for a while ?

Is english enough or you have to speak Icelandic ?

Rabih
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
^ Most people in Iceland do speak English. You don't have to worry about that.
And people are generally very friendly and helpful.
Do you plan on staying only in Reykjavik or go around the country? :)

Simon
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I would probably stay in Reykjavik because i would like to have a small job , so it's maybe the best place to stay for that . But i do want to go visit the whole place to see the landscape mostly .

gyabou
01-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Every country's visa rules are different, but you have to make sure you are legally allowed to get a job while you are there. Sometimes there are working holiday visas you can apply for, I'm not sure what Iceland's laws say about that. But you can't just go there on a holiday visa and live there for a couple months and work.

Also note that Iceland was one of the worst hit places in the economic downturn, their whole economy nearly collapsed, so work may be dear at the moment.

Rabih
01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
^ That is very true, I would suggest you visit the country first, check it, and then decide if it feasible.
I would say though that the situation now is MUCH better than it was two years ago, when it was first hit by the economic crisis. And you should know that now it could be very gloomy as the sun shines only a couple of hours during the day in winter time. Many find Iceland too depressing between January and March.
In the summer, it could be more convenient :)

Stephanie
01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
4 sleeps until we leave for Costa Rica!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! First vacation without the kid, all-inclusive resort... drinking and sleeping in and sun, here I come! NO RESPONSIBILITIES FOR 7 DAYS!!! This is a big thing when you have a toddler relying on you for everything.

Simon
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your informations :)

Becka
03-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Gainesville florida... anyone have knowledge of the area? What's good to eat around there in the evening? Kev's going to be down there for work early next week and my dad who is on vacation down in OldFartsVille is driving up to see him to have dinner.

Frangipani
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Just got back from vacation from cali & maui. Decided we're moving back home to cali. Taking the southern most route, 95 to 10. Ive never seen the deep south and im super stoked. If anyone has any recs lemme know! We are going to try camping a lot, even east of texas on our way back but we want to avoid National Parks called "alligator refuge" and such. OMG im so excited. SOUTHERN PEOPLE YAY, I love driving across the US.

GirlForPele
03-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Going to Sweden again on Monday. Yay!

toriMODE
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
My Carnival cruise to Cozumel and Progeso, Mexico was marvelous. We saw the Mayan Ruins at Uxmal, took lots of pictures of the pyramids and such, and got to eat authentic Mayan food at the restaurant there. In Cozumel we took the Twister speed boat to a private Island called Pasion. The speed boat did twists on the way there and back that soaked us wet in the 90 degree weather. La Isla Da Pasion is the island where they shot the Corona beer commercial you see on television with the beautiful blue waters and sand that felt like satin. The excursion to the private island included an open bar and a Mexican buffet. I visited both many times. The ship itself was great, and the wait staff was very attentive and they made very strong drinks! The food was very good too. I got to try escargot and lamb for the first time along with Lobster, Steak, Scallops, Thai Chicken, Calamari, etc. They had fun karaoke nights, which I sang some karaoke, played the slots in the casino, and they even had a Sushi bar where I consumed delectable sushi. I didn't want to debark! I definitely want to take another cruise as soon as possible. It was a much needed vacation away from emails, phone calls, and facebook.

Becka
03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
^ sounds divine! So glad you had a good time :)

C33
03-11-2011, 06:12 PM
x2

I was already hungry before reading Ron's post, but now my mouth is watering.

toriMODE
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank ya!

wout
03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm going to North Yorkshire in 4 weeks time, to visit family (and hopefully meet Abi!!).
And we're taking the car, so we'll be driving on the WRONG side of the road.

Places I want to visit:

Robin Hood's Bay
http://www.watchthisspace.ca/pixelpost/images/20070329211502_robinhood_bay_mini.jpg

York
http://ferrypromotie.nl/assets/images/DFDS%20PROMO/york-minster.jpg

Staithes
http://www.fijnedag.com/2010/images/20100801_02_StaithesWhitbyEngland.jpg

Whitby
http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/29/100429-004-E31AC334.jpg

The Moors
http://www.real-whitby.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/northyorkmoors.jpg

ebby
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
^ ok, I want to go to all of those places and see all the things.

Chalk
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
^^Me too. Staithes and Whitby looks like my kind of place, and I've always wanted to visit York. I think this year I'll definitely do it.

toriMODE
03-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Robin Hood's Bay looks like a miniature model set. Looks so unreal and perfect.

Lo
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm back from Brazil and not very happy about it. Love that country!!

Chalk
03-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I came across this press release today (http://www.free-press-release.com/news-top-ten-funniest-holiday-complaints-from-past-year-revealed-1299752484.html):

One of the UK’s leading independent online travel agencies has released its annual data of the funniest and most absurd complaints received from customers. www.sunshine.co.uk prides itself on providing affordable holidays and fantastic customer service, but it seems some holidaymakers are never satisfied.

The first complaint that caught the team’s attention came from a lady who had travelled with her friend to Dubai. On arrival to the airport in the UK, when asked to present their passports, the ladies found themselves in a sticky situation as they claimed they were not reminded to bring them and thought that they didn’t need them.

On a trip to the Canary Islands, Lanzarote more specifically, a lady who took her family of four on holiday put in a complaint about their beach experience. She claimed that, due to the warm weather, the sand was too hot and her children could not walk down to the sea for a swim.

Next, a man who went abroad to the Costa del Sol complained that there was too much food to eat from the buffet in his all-inclusive hotel. As a result, he put on ‘at least 5lbs’ during his trip, which he wasn’t too pleased about. Another male tourist, this time on holiday in Majorca, claimed that the number of bikini-clad women on the beach caused a fall-out between him and his wife, as he was caught ogling them ‘on more than one occasion.’

A couple who had spent two weeks in Marmaris, Turkey, said that their holiday had been a disappointment because there were ‘too many English people around’ and the main reason they went to Turkey in the first place was to experience somewhere ‘more exotic.’ In September 2010, a man wrote to sunshine.co.uk to express his unhappiness about the fact that he had not been able to fully enjoy his holiday to Portugal. His hotel bed was ‘too comfy’ meaning that he overslept on more than one occasion when he would have ‘preferred to be up early and making the most of it.’

Next on the list of funniest complaints from the past year was a group of young adults who had travelled to Ayia Napa in Cyprus. One of the group claimed that the 24 hour reception in their hotel made them feel like they were being ‘judged’ for returning back to their room late, despite the resort being renowned for partying and late nights. The young female in question claimed they would have preferred the reception to be ‘without staff.’

A man who had been to Tenerife complained that the Prada sunglasses he had purchased from a street seller for €4.50 were in fact fakes, whilst another male holidaymaker claimed his fear of heights had prevented him from enjoying his flight to Mauritius. Finally, a man who had been with his wife to Bulgaria said that the couple in the room next door had been loud in their lovemaking, which subsequently made him feel ‘pressured’ into initiating sex with his own wife.

Some of those complains would be hilarious if they weren't so sad and utterly obnoxious.

entropy
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I will be spending 6 weeks in Spain this summer as part of my graduate studies. For most of that time I will be in Salamanca. But, I will be finding time to visit Granada, Santiago de Compostela, Barcelona and Cuenca. I have been to Spain several times, but I am very excited about this upcoming trip! I will be visiting some different places!

tivoklr
03-17-2011, 02:38 PM
I came across this press release today (http://www.free-press-release.com/news-top-ten-funniest-holiday-complaints-from-past-year-revealed-1299752484.html):

One of the UK’s leading independent online travel agencies has released its annual data of the funniest and most absurd complaints received from customers. www.sunshine.co.uk prides itself on providing affordable holidays and fantastic customer service, but it seems some holidaymakers are never satisfied.

The first complaint that caught the team’s attention came from a lady who had travelled with her friend to Dubai. On arrival to the airport in the UK, when asked to present their passports, the ladies found themselves in a sticky situation as they claimed they were not reminded to bring them and thought that they didn’t need them.

On a trip to the Canary Islands, Lanzarote more specifically, a lady who took her family of four on holiday put in a complaint about their beach experience. She claimed that, due to the warm weather, the sand was too hot and her children could not walk down to the sea for a swim.

Next, a man who went abroad to the Costa del Sol complained that there was too much food to eat from the buffet in his all-inclusive hotel. As a result, he put on ‘at least 5lbs’ during his trip, which he wasn’t too pleased about. Another male tourist, this time on holiday in Majorca, claimed that the number of bikini-clad women on the beach caused a fall-out between him and his wife, as he was caught ogling them ‘on more than one occasion.’

A couple who had spent two weeks in Marmaris, Turkey, said that their holiday had been a disappointment because there were ‘too many English people around’ and the main reason they went to Turkey in the first place was to experience somewhere ‘more exotic.’ In September 2010, a man wrote to sunshine.co.uk to express his unhappiness about the fact that he had not been able to fully enjoy his holiday to Portugal. His hotel bed was ‘too comfy’ meaning that he overslept on more than one occasion when he would have ‘preferred to be up early and making the most of it.’

Next on the list of funniest complaints from the past year was a group of young adults who had travelled to Ayia Napa in Cyprus. One of the group claimed that the 24 hour reception in their hotel made them feel like they were being ‘judged’ for returning back to their room late, despite the resort being renowned for partying and late nights. The young female in question claimed they would have preferred the reception to be ‘without staff.’

A man who had been to Tenerife complained that the Prada sunglasses he had purchased from a street seller for €4.50 were in fact fakes, whilst another male holidaymaker claimed his fear of heights had prevented him from enjoying his flight to Mauritius. Finally, a man who had been with his wife to Bulgaria said that the couple in the room next door had been loud in their lovemaking, which subsequently made him feel ‘pressured’ into initiating sex with his own wife.

Some of those complains would be hilarious if they weren't so sad and utterly obnoxious.

That's just awesome that they would publish these things in a press release. Instant spread. Absolute hilarity, especially the "bed's too comfy." I hate that.

Stephanie
03-25-2011, 11:05 AM
It's official, we're going to Chicago in June!

OK OK, we're going for a conference and we'll be sitting listening to people talk 6 hrs a day LOL (but it's about design so hopefully will be inspiring!), so we won't have tonnes of free time, but we're staying an extra day, and we're done with conference stuff by around 4pm each day. So hopefully we'll get a chance to visit a bit. The location is pretty good (I think?!), we'll be at the Hyatt near Grant Park. I've never been to Chicago before!

Rabih
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh May will be exhausting. And costly.

Nice-Cannes-Berlin-London
Visit-Work-Love-School

Morning Star
03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I am trying to get into a program that will take me to Poland and the Czech Republic.

I'll also be traveling within the States to New Hampshire, Missouri, Massachusetts, and possibly DC. :)

jeth
03-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Two months to San Diego. :D!!!!!

Corinthe
03-26-2011, 07:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8cdEx.jpg

Japan in a month and a week~ we'd bought tickets a week or two before the quake so it sunk my heart a bit to have seen what's happened. Luckily no travel up north, hoping things will be better by then, keeping an eye on the news, cause I really really want to go, really really really want to go. Been planning since last summer and have been wanting to go for years now.

Basically buying a JR railpass and going down the country to the tip. Tokyo to Nagoya up to Takayama and Shirakawa-go where it's a bit more old world, back down to Kyoto, Hiroshima to Miyajima island, to Fukuoka, Kurokawa, Kagoshima, ferry down to Yakushima island to the forest Princess Mononoke was heavily inspired by. Ryokan, farmhouse stay, onsen, kaiseki, leaving a week after I graduate, 3 weeks of awesome overload, pretty fucking stoked.

wout
03-26-2011, 08:25 AM
^ Yeah, that's basically one of my dream journeys!!! Awesome. I googled Yakushima back in the day (mononoke related as well, haha) and those forests are surreal and absolutely stunning! (someday... someday...)

Enjoy, take LOTS of pictures and tell us all about it when you get back :)

Stephanie
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
aaaaaaaaaand we're not going to Chicago anymore *boooo* we just realized we're moving that month (or very near that time), so we just can't swing it time-wise.

Owen
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm going to take a roadtrip up to Portland the week after Easter! I've been before but always for work, never for play. This time it's going to be a total vacation, and I will get to celebrate one of my dearest friends Birthdays! :D A few wrenches have been thrown into the original plans but I have to learn to be flexible.

beth
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8cdEx.jpg
Basically buying a JR railpass and going down the country to the tip. Tokyo to Nagoya up to Takayama and Shirakawa-go where it's a bit more old world, back down to Kyoto, Hiroshima to Miyajima island, to Fukuoka, Kurokawa, Kagoshima, ferry down to Yakushima island to the forest Princess Mononoke was heavily inspired by. Ryokan, farmhouse stay, onsen, kaiseki, leaving a week after I graduate, 3 weeks of awesome overload, pretty fucking stoked.

I've done two trips similar to that already. Amazing, but tiring! If you have time, maybe check out Miyazaki-ken (especially Takachiho, it's breathtaking and full of old Japanese mythical lore!). Do you have plans to hike up to Jomon Sugi while you're in Yakushima? It's kind of dangerous, but if you're feeling at all adventurous, go for it! I took the long route, starting from Shiratani Unsuikyo (Mononoke trail) and then connected onto the trail that takes you up to Jomon Sugi. When we told people about our plans, they said it was impossible. But we DID IT! And, it was perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life, especially with veritgo. Worth it though. It was really empowering. Oh, and bring or rent appropriate hiking equipment. It's a must.

Also, grab an umbrella when you make it to Kagoshima! I forgot one and found myself covered in ash when I made it to the ferry. Any questions, feel free to ask.

-Wait. A month and a week? Isn't that Golden week? <3

Corinthe
03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Week after golden week. :) Yeah I'm imagining it'll be quite tiring, that's what the onsens will be for! We'll be living in our backpacks too which are just big enough, very economical, done all kinds of research on Rick Steves' site, getting the right shoes, backpack size and such.

I kinda wanted it to be just enough whirlwind so that I wouldn't get bored, but not too fast either, tried to strike a balance. Our longest stint will be in Kyoto for about 4 days and Tokyo a few at the beginning to get our barrings, the rest are 1 to 2 days each roughly. Our longest day of travel will be towards the end where we'll be going back from Kagoshima to Tokyo which will be around 8-10 hours. The rest an hour or two. I'll have my trusty sketchbook and mini watercolor kit, along with a ds and a book so I'm hoping that'll tide me over well enough. There'll be some slow trains and some shinkansens, I'm really really looking forward to seeing the countryside. Big cities are nice, but I already live in one. :P

Not sure about Jomon Sugi, is that the one that basically takes all day to get to? Strongly doubt it, hah. :P What are the trails like, are they really muddy? Are there rental places nearby? We're planning on renting a car for half a day while on the island anyway, don't really have room for hiking gear in our packs, just good walking shoes. How long were your trips for? How well were you able to get by in the more remote areas?

Faust
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I traveled down to Hilton Head/Charleston/Savannah last week! It was nice to get away from the cold for a week. I have pictures on my phone somewhere which I will likely upload later.

FaerieDreamer
04-11-2011, 01:14 AM
We're driving out to CA for two weeks in July for a vacation/family reunion. We're going to be spending 3 days in Carlsbad to do Legoland, Sea World, and the beach. Then we'll do two days at Disneyland/California Adventure before going up to Monterey for 5 days for the reunion. It is going to be so much fun. The kids are exvited about the parks, but I am excited to go home and see family and my ocean again.

sara
04-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Next week, we're booking a trip to Baltimore for a wedding. Only for a few days but i'm looking forward to it :)

Lo
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Iceland in August. :)

Rabih
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
^ Yay! :D

Andyland
04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Has anyone ever done the JetBlue All-You-Can-Jet Pass? I'm really hoping that it returns for a third year.

Jessy
04-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Iceland in August. :)

me too! though that could change since my fiance and I are both looking for new jobs, and are worried we might not be able to go if we find new work over the summer.

otherwise, D.C. this weekend! i'm actually quite excited! can't wait to go to the archives, tour the capitol building, go the museums, see them memorials, and visit arlington!

Lágnætti
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm going to Munich in June and hopefully Leipzig again in August.

Anyone got any recs for stuff in and around Munich?

JayPeaches
04-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Helen, there's so much to see, do, and eat in Munich! I hardly know where to begin. It's my favorite city in the world.

TOO SEE/DO (If you want, you can check out my Flickr album (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicastanford/sets/72157624554901077/) for pics of most of these spots)
#1. Deutsche Museum
Don't know how long you'll be in Munich, but I regretted not setting aside an entire day for the Deutsche Museum. It's incredible and it has absolutely everything. It's along the Isar River, which makes for a scenic walk. Good day trip would be to take the subway to the Deutsche Museum for when it first opens (get there early, the line is insane), then walk along the Isar to the Maximilaneum (where the Bavarian Parliament meets) - you can't go inside, but it's a pretty walk and the building is interesting.

#2. Residenz
The rather large (an understatement) private resident of Maximilian I, it has an incredible little opera house and other things to see. Definitely plan ahead for this one - it's huge, there's lots to see, and not everything is open on the same days of the week. It can be a little unwieldy but it's worth the effort.

#3 Leopoldstrasse
It's basically just a street in the University District, but it has a more "hipster" feel to it than the rest of the city. It's a quaint walk, and it's close to Englischer Garten, which is another thing you'll need to see.

#4 Englischer Garten
Munich's Central Park. Very pretty, nice for a long stroll and naked people-watching.

#5 Frauenkirche
Basically just a very pretty church in downtown. Worth a visit because of the supposed "devil's footprint" in the front entrance.

#6 Viktualenmarkt
Outdoor market with local food and beer. Nothing big, but it's fun to see what the locals are serving up by way of herbs, veggies, and other stuff.

#7 Marienplatz/Glockenspiel/Kaufingerstrasse
Marienplatz is the main square downtown, where you can see the Glockenspiel and other famous landmarks. Kaufingerstrasse is the main shopping street, which starts at Marienplatz. Even if you're not interested in shopping, there are lots of great little coffee shops along this street where you can sit outside and people watch. There are also a couple of churches you can step into along this street (St. Michael's church is one of them, I think - I really wanted to see it but it was closed for renovations while we were there).

TOO EAT
Even though I'm a huge foodie and I speak quite a bit of German, I wasn't comfortable being experimental with food here. I know Munich has lots of interesting places to eat, but I stuck with the Biergartens because I'm a sucker for meat, potatoes, and beer while I'm in Germany.

Augustiner
My Dad swears by Augustinerbräu beer, and you can identify which places serve it by the umbrellas on the outside tables. The original Augustiner Biergarten is on Kaufingerstrasse, and the food is pretty good.

Spatenhaus
The food was fantastic here and the outside seating is superb. We ate here twice - once inside and once outside.

DON'T BOTHER
Olympic Park
It's empty. There's nothing there to see. You walk around, look at it, say, "Oh, the Olympics were here," and that's pretty much it. We wasted half a day on this and I was sorely disappointed.

BMW Museum
Meh. If you want to see some kick-ass automotive stuff (and much more), go to the Deutsche Museum instead.

Lo
04-13-2011, 03:10 AM
me too! though that could change since my fiance and I are both looking for new jobs, and are worried we might not be able to go if we find new work over the summer.

otherwise, D.C. this weekend! i'm actually quite excited! can't wait to go to the archives, tour the capitol building, go the museums, see them memorials, and visit arlington!

Cool!! Have you planned out anything yet? I hope you get to go! I am also looking for a new job, but as a teacher I wouldn't start until Sept. so I'm good.

Morning Star
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM
I have decided that some day I will go to the Kentucky Derby.

wout
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Helen: all that JP said, plus maybe the Glyptothek if you like Greek statues (I loved it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptothek.
Munich is [post28]!

Also, if you plan on making trips to the country, go further southeast to the Berchtesgadener Land (http://en.berchtesgadener-land.com). It is a 2 hours drive but it's absolutely stunning and steeped in WW2 history.

JayPeaches
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Helen: all that JP said, plus maybe the Glyptothek if you like Greek statues (I loved it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyptothek.
Munich is [post28]!

Also, if you're pressed for time but you want to see some great art, Neuse Pinakothek is small enough to see everything in a morning or afternoon visit.

Also, if you plan on making trips to the country, go further southeast to the Berchtesgadener Land (http://en.berchtesgadener-land.com). It is a 2 hours drive but it's absolutely stunning and steeped in WW2 history.

Great suggestion - I think it's worth staying a night there if you can. We stayed there for a week during one of our jaunts to Germany and not only is it steeped in history as Wout said, but it's also breathtaking.

Ravensburg is another town that's within a couple of hours of Munich. It's quaint and small with tons of bars, great local restaurants, and boutiques. Really a bustling place for such a small mountain town, totally worth the visit.

Jessy
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Cool!! Have you planned out anything yet? I hope you get to go! I am also looking for a new job, but as a teacher I wouldn't start until Sept. so I'm good.

yes, we are actually planning on renting a car and driving around the island. it will be insanely expensive, but we want to do it. are you planning on just staying in reykjavik?

We will be spending a few days in reykjavik, and of course plan on going to the blue lagoon and a little of city sightseeing. but we love being more in nature - and are planning excursions from reykjavik like snowmobiling tours, snorkeling the silfra fissure, and doing the golden circle (thingvellir national park, the original geysir, & the gullfoss waterfall.

after that, we want to drive to the north of the island to myvatn which has a lot of cool volcanic landscapes. then drive on the southern side of the island and visit the jokularson glacier lagoon, vatnajokull glacier - where we plan to hike, black sand beaches and some more stunning waterfalls.

if you aren't planning on renting a car and driving, i would look into at least taking an organized tour of the southern portion of the island. everything i read said it's a must-see. also consider going on a jeep tour through the interior to landmannalauger - everyone raves about that too!

Lágnætti
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Helen, there's so much to see, do, and eat in Munich! I hardly know where to begin. It's my favorite city in the world.

TOO SEE/DO (If you want, you can check out my Flickr album (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicastanford/sets/72157624554901077/) for pics of most of these spots)
#1. Deutsche Museum
Don't know how long you'll be in Munich, but I regretted not setting aside an entire day for the Deutsche Museum. It's incredible and it has absolutely everything. It's along the Isar River, which makes for a scenic walk. Good day trip would be to take the subway to the Deutsche Museum for when it first opens (get there early, the line is insane), then walk along the Isar to the Maximilaneum (where the Bavarian Parliament meets) - you can't go inside, but it's a pretty walk and the building is interesting.

#2. Residenz
The rather large (an understatement) private resident of Maximilian I, it has an incredible little opera house and other things to see. Definitely plan ahead for this one - it's huge, there's lots to see, and not everything is open on the same days of the week. It can be a little unwieldy but it's worth the effort.

#3 Leopoldstrasse
It's basically just a street in the University District, but it has a more "hipster" feel to it than the rest of the city. It's a quaint walk, and it's close to Englischer Garten, which is another thing you'll need to see.

#4 Englischer Garten
Munich's Central Park. Very pretty, nice for a long stroll and naked people-watching.

#5 Frauenkirche
Basically just a very pretty church in downtown. Worth a visit because of the supposed "devil's footprint" in the front entrance.

#6 Viktualenmarkt
Outdoor market with local food and beer. Nothing big, but it's fun to see what the locals are serving up by way of herbs, veggies, and other stuff.

#7 Marienplatz/Glockenspiel/Kaufingerstrasse
Marienplatz is the main square downtown, where you can see the Glockenspiel and other famous landmarks. Kaufingerstrasse is the main shopping street, which starts at Marienplatz. Even if you're not interested in shopping, there are lots of great little coffee shops along this street where you can sit outside and people watch. There are also a couple of churches you can step into along this street (St. Michael's church is one of them, I think - I really wanted to see it but it was closed for renovations while we were there).

TOO EAT
Even though I'm a huge foodie and I speak quite a bit of German, I wasn't comfortable being experimental with food here. I know Munich has lots of interesting places to eat, but I stuck with the Biergartens because I'm a sucker for meat, potatoes, and beer while I'm in Germany.

Augustiner
My Dad swears by Augustinerbräu beer, and you can identify which places serve it by the umbrellas on the outside tables. The original Augustiner Biergarten is on Kaufingerstrasse, and the food is pretty good.

Spatenhaus
The food was fantastic here and the outside seating is superb. We ate here twice - once inside and once outside.

DON'T BOTHER
Olympic Park
It's empty. There's nothing there to see. You walk around, look at it, say, "Oh, the Olympics were here," and that's pretty much it. We wasted half a day on this and I was sorely disappointed.

BMW Museum
Meh. If you want to see some kick-ass automotive stuff (and much more), go to the Deutsche Museum instead.

Ooh, thank you, all this is very useful. I had already picked out the big park and the Deutsche Museum as things of interest too! There seems to be plenty to see and do there - I believe there's an art museum with all the Blau Reiter stuff in there and another one that has some Caspar David Friedrich works? I honestly can't wait.

I will be there for six full days, so am looking at day excursions outside the city or perhaps staying a night or two outside Munich. I haven't sorted out any accomodation yet, only flights, so I'm flexible and open to any more suggestions. Right now I'm seriously thinking of going to Nuremberg. The history .. phew. I'm looking at the DB Bahn site and I can get a high-speed train ticket there and back from Munich for under 40 Euro. I'll go google Ravensberg in a minute.

Wout, I went to Berchtesgarten briefly with my parents when I was about 13, on a coach on a day trip over the border from Austria. I remember looking at the Eagle's Nest and the road paved by the efforts of slave labour and the guide on the bus making some snarky, comical remarks about Hitler that had us all in hysterics.

ETA: Oh, I see Ravensberg is by Teutoborg forest. Another historical boner for me right there. I'm going to have to check this one out in some depth.

uncanny hats
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM

If you have the opportunity, go check out the U Street corridor, one of the few bastions of Jazz in the US. Also, the Smithsonian Zoo is pretty cool (and free). And Eastern Market, which is kind of a post-Hippie enclave inside DC.

Lágnætti
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Oh wout, just saw you were wanting to visit Whitby. That's my favourite place in this country. If you like walking, you can walk from Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay. It's about seven miles and you can take the cliff paths all the way or go via the old railway track. Or you can rent a bike at the old railway track. Another nice walk is north along the Whitby sands to Sandsend, a tiny little village, then up over the cliffs and beyond. Whitby is just beautiful, anyway.

JayPeaches
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Helen, Teutoborg/Ravensburg would be perfect for a day trip. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Ravensburger games & puzzles (I grew up playing with them), but if you are, there is a fantastic Ravensburger museum in downtown Ravensburg. It's cheap, maybe 8 euro, and you'd only need about 90 minutes to go through the whole thing. They have giant versions of game pieces and all kinds of neat, interactive stuff that would appeal to you if you're familiar with the brand.

Also, I recommend having an outside dinner or lunch at Restaurant Veitsburg (http://www.restaurant-veitsburg.de/) in Ravensburg. It's a steep climb to get to it, but entirely worth it for the dining experience and the breathtaking view.

http://home.comcast.net/~jessicasta/veitsburg.jpg

Jessy
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM
If you have the opportunity, go check out the U Street corridor, one of the few bastions of Jazz in the US. Also, the Smithsonian Zoo is pretty cool (and free). And Eastern Market, which is kind of a post-Hippie enclave inside DC.

thanks, i will look into it! does anyone have any recommendations/restaurants we should go to? (that aren't too expensive?)

uncanny hats
04-14-2011, 01:41 AM
if you make it to u street go to ben's chili bowl. For cheaper food, stay out of southern northwest. Venture into shaw, cleveland heights and there's always mcdonald's. It's not just a tourist trap, it's also home to some of the wealthiest people in government. Also, chinatown won't do you wrong so long as you hit up the asian places and not the chains. Most of the restaurants in chinatown are open until 2 am.

wout
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Oh wout, just saw you were wanting to visit Whitby. That's my favourite place in this country. If you like walking, you can walk from Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay. It's about seven miles and you can take the cliff paths all the way or go via the old railway track. Or you can rent a bike at the old railway track. Another nice walk is north along the Whitby sands to Sandsend, a tiny little village, then up over the cliffs and beyond. Whitby is just beautiful, anyway.

I like walking and cycling both! I definitely want to walk a coastal path so that sounds like a great suggestion. My niece goes to boarding school in Robin Hood's Bay so that could be a good trick to lure my husband along, who isn't so keen on walking nor cycling ;)
And Whitby, yes, I'm very much looking forward to going there...
(also, I want to rent a bike and go for a ride on the moors and sing Wuthering Heights at the top of my voice :D)

Lágnætti
04-17-2011, 07:41 PM
When will you be in N. Yorks, wout? If it's soon you may well get some nice weather. It's been quite nice oop north recently.

Jaypea, can I ask where you stayed in Munich? I've been poking around on booking.com, made one booking, cancelled it again and made another at one of those Motel One places that actually look really nice and well-designed and seem to have very good reviews on the whole. The one I've booked is quite close to the city centre (Munchen City West), but I'm open to suggestions. Which part of the city did you stay in?

JayPeaches
04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Helen, we stayed at the K+K Hotel am Harras (http://en.kkhotels.com/hotels/munich/k-k-hotel-am-harras/overview-k-k-hotel-am-harras/). It's not city center, but it sits on a subway stop so it's still a great location. We liked it so much we stayed there on our second trip to Munich as well. Not sure what the rates would be for the dates you need, but I think we paid about 80-100 euros per night.

wout
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
We're leaving this tuesday evening, travelling by ferry. The weather predictions seem to be quite good, yeah? Lovely :)

Abi
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
When will you be in N. Yorks, wout? If it's soon you may well get some nice weather. It's been quite nice oop north recently.

It is absolutely gorgeous weather here at the moment and Easter weekend is supposed to be glorious. I'm hoping it doesn't decide to change last minute as the thing with N.Yorks is that weather can be very localised. It's the hills!

SisterDew
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I have to go for work to Santiago de Compostela at the beginning of May, and I've decided to take some days off and stay longer, to explore the city and Galicia a bit. I have been many times to Spain, but never to Galicia which is supposedly very beautiful, so I am really looking forward to it!

Scottish Woman
04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Has anyone been to Verona in Italy? I'm due to go there for work, I know nothing about the place (have never been to Italy.) Anyone have any advice/tips? Cheers :)

baronette
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I am visiting two beautiful friends and adopted nieces in Nagoya this long weekend.
I need to escape the Kanto region for a while. The aftershocks have calmed down quite a bit, but the one just now gave me quite a shock and made me cry. Bastard. I'm debating whether to have a cup of tea or some wine. Maybe both!

JayPeaches
04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Has anyone been to San Juan, Puerto Rico? I'll be there in mid-June for three days and am looking for restaurant/sight-seeing tips.

UnderTheFunk
04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I was in Puerto Rico 3 years ago and loved it. We stayed on a southern beach, but did a day trip up to San Juan. Highlights were seeing Castillo de San Cristóbal (an old Spanish fort on the coast) and the surrounding Old San Juan area. If you have a car, you might consider venturing down to see El Yunque National Forest. It's the only rain forest in the US & it's gorgeous. If you have a chance to see the bio-luminescent plankton, I'd recommend it. We had the good fortune of spotting some right in front of our b&b on the southern coast (it was pretty magical), but I know many companies offer excursions near San Juan. I didn't have any food that I loved in Puerto Rico (simply b/c we didn't plan that well), but you will have trouble escaping without trying some form of plantain. :) I constantly daydream about going back Puerto Rico, hope you enjoy it!

longtime companda
04-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Is anyone from the Charlottesville/Richmond, VA area? A friend and I are planning a trip in a couple weeks and we're not sure what to do while we're there.

uncanny hats
04-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Is anyone from the Charlottesville/Richmond, VA area? A friend and I are planning a trip in a couple weeks and we're not sure what to do while we're there.
Charlottesville is boring, unless you love the Civil War or plan on getting a degree in English. UVA-Charlotte is the East Coast equivalent of UC-Berkeley, but with a lot less hippies. There is a cute downtownie area without streets, and that's neat. There's a few bars and a liberal-minded cinema downtown.

Richmond, on the other hand, has all sorts of stuff to do, but you are in Dirty South. It's a very working class Southern town. Local attractions include: Luray Caverns and King's Dominion. I haven't been to either since about 1986. Folks tell me KD is still fun.

If you love the Civil War, there are assloads of battlefields. :)

wout
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
So, North Yorkshire: beautiful!

I especially loved the city of York, Whitby Abby and Staithes, but the prettiest place had to be Robin Hood's Bay...

JayPeaches
04-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I was in Puerto Rico 3 years ago and loved it. We stayed on a southern beach, but did a day trip up to San Juan. Highlights were seeing Castillo de San Cristóbal (an old Spanish fort on the coast) and the surrounding Old San Juan area. If you have a car, you might consider venturing down to see El Yunque National Forest. It's the only rain forest in the US & it's gorgeous. If you have a chance to see the bio-luminescent plankton, I'd recommend it. We had the good fortune of spotting some right in front of our b&b on the southern coast (it was pretty magical), but I know many companies offer excursions near San Juan. I didn't have any food that I loved in Puerto Rico (simply b/c we didn't plan that well), but you will have trouble escaping without trying some form of plantain. :) I constantly daydream about going back Puerto Rico, hope you enjoy it!

Great tips, thank you so much! I'm excited about the rain forest, I didn't even realize there was one in Puerto Rico until I read your post.

jeth
05-20-2011, 04:13 AM
In one week I'll be leaving for eight days in San Diego. Side trips to Julian and the Salton Sea are in order, and I'll be meeting up with Morgan and ChristinaMarie in addition to spending time with some old friends. I CANNOT WAIT!

ej
05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
^^ I am JEALOUS. I wanted to go to the Salton Sea when I was in California last summer, but didn't have the time. We went north and through the High Sierras instead.

Barbarella
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
In one week I'll be leaving for eight days in San Diego. Side trips to Julian and the Salton Sea are in order, and I'll be meeting up with Morgan and ChristinaMarie in addition to spending time with some old friends. I CANNOT WAIT!

Two awesome ladies I hope to meet in July. Have a blast!

jeth
05-21-2011, 01:59 AM
Will do! :D!!!!

SisterDew
05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
normally i will be going for a couple of days to wales (snowdonia) next week, but i am getting a bit scared by this new volcanic ash cloud... :(

secretsekertary
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Where do you get good information about international travel? Especially flight and hotel information - good rates and reputable vendors.

We want to fly into Berlin but fly out of Amsterdam, and for some online searches that seems to throw the search off. We could also leave the US out of Dallas or Houston, as we're about the same driving distance from both international hubs. Anyway, I'm finding that places like Kayak or Expedia don't really seem to have solid information, and their flight prices vary wildly from day to day, and I don't know how to trust it.

Maybe I should just use a travel agency?

JayPeaches
05-26-2011, 07:30 PM
SS, I go to kayak.com. It allows you to search multiple airports at once, both to and from different destinations (i.e., I've checked for flights out of Charlotte, Atlanta, and/or Columbia going to Munich and/or Frankfurt in a single search). You can sort by price, time, etc. I've also checked out hotels the, but the search isn't as complete as the flight search is. You don't actually buy or book anything through Kayak, it just searches all the available sites and compiles it for you. You can also get fair alerts if you have a long lead time.

SuzyQ
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm planning a week in Switzerland in July and am already excited! I've been before, but Switzerland is one of, if not the most, beautiful countries I've ever been to.

I'll be covering central Switzerland, starting off with Zürich and then moving down to Lucerne, doing a boat trip on the lake, then to Interlaken, basing myself in Lauterbrunnen and from there visiting Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald. Anyone been to any of those places? Any tips? Any other places I must see in this area?? Like I said, done them all before but it was a looong time ago. One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not to get the full Swiss Railcard or just buy tickets as I go along.

Scottish Woman
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm going to Verona next week, supposed to be a business trip, but I may have some free time so if anyone can recommend any nice sights or restaurants that would be great. Plus, I may be moving out there (depends on how I get on next week) so I'd like to have a good idea of what's what. :)

jeth
05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I can recommend a lovely hostel in Berlin if you like.

SisterDew
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
booked my summer holidays to montenegro :D :D :D

http://www.viverelavita.nl/uploads/pics/Montenegro.jpg

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/places/images/photos/photo_lg_montenegro.jpg

http://www.discover-montenegro.com/Foto/Activities/montenegro-hicking.jpg

fox in socks
05-27-2011, 07:19 PM
how awesome is that?!!?! jealousy indeed. im pending transatlantic travels but they yet to be finalized so vicarious living has to wait! im intrigued by the montenegro scenery though. dead gorgeous!

JayPeaches
05-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep, looks like your kind of place, Denali! Especially that last shot.

fox in socks
05-27-2011, 09:12 PM
im pretty obvious eh? im currently fleshing out a journey to a place for picture taking to rival the montenegro mountain place. its my heaven to climb to the top of things. maybe its my ego!

other than the mountain place, im trying to find some place tropically as i cant tolerate another 6 month winter without a break. someplace like the british virgin islands....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/428284083_96ac57d3fa_z.jpg?zz=1

Kala
05-27-2011, 11:30 PM
We are going for a nine day hiking trip here in late July:

http://kelab.tamu.edu/standard/waldron/images/studyarea.gif

I am planning some strenuous and fairly remote day hikes. It's a popular park, and we want to see nature, not people. The tougher trails tend to scare off all but the hardiest -- except the bears of course.

Jonathan
05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Typing this up on my iPod touch, but I'm now on a 25 day trip through Spain, France and Germany. My friend and I have rented apartments in Barcelona, Montpellier, Paris, Berlin and Hamburg. Unfortunately, we're in our last Barcelona-days, but I'm still very excited for the rest of the trip. :D

JayPeaches
05-28-2011, 12:47 AM
^ So jealous!!!

Rum 509
05-28-2011, 02:34 AM

I am planning some strenuous and fairly remote day hikes. It's a popular park, and we want to see nature, not people. The tougher trails tend to scare off all but the hardiest -- except the bears of course.

HAUT!

Or hot. I've been to Hanging Rock State Park which is to the east. Really beautiful, but pretty hot and humid. Really interesting, large insects that only came out at mealtime, like I'd never seen before. No sign of any bears.

There were bears when we went here last time -
http://www.snowrev.com/Storage/Contents/1482/144.jpg

I've been backpacking in those mountains at the far end of the lake. People hiking the Pacific Crest Trail come down here, take a ferry across the lake, and the rest and resupply here -

http://www.edisonlake.com/

Which is where we will be staying in August. :D

We have a tent cabin, but other family members will want a real room, because of the bears for one thing. They know about the place, and visit regularly, getting into trash cans mostly, the pests.

I didn't think we'd ever go back, because the road in is pretty bumpy and twisty, and the kids tend to throw up. :)

ej
06-15-2011, 02:35 AM
In one week I'll be leaving for eight days in San Diego. Side trips to Julian and the Salton Sea are in order, and I'll be meeting up with Morgan and ChristinaMarie in addition to spending time with some old friends. I CANNOT WAIT!Jess! I got a postcard from you and Morgan in the mail today! Thank you ... it was lovely. :)

entropy
06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
So, I was supposed to leave for Spain next week. 5.5 weeks. I am supposed to be taking graduate courses at the University of Salamanca. But, I broke my ankle and wrist on the 21st of May. Anybody ever traveled while injured? I did some research and my airline will let me take my mobility devices, no charge. I have been pretty much on bed rest since the accident. I was all set to go, but I am having second thoughts now. I get MRI results (ankle) this morning. What I am told will help me make the decision.

Barbarella
06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Can anyone recommend a hotel in Santa Barbara? Thanks!

FaerieDreamer
06-17-2011, 04:23 AM
wooo...We leave on our roadtrip to CA in 30 days! So excited to be going home again.

jeth
06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Jess! I got a postcard from you and Morgan in the mail today! Thank you ... it was lovely. :)

Yay! Sorry it got there kind of late, I never did find a post office in Cali so I waited until I got home to mail everything out. And the Salton Sea really is very, very sad. I thought I knew what to expect, but I was not fully prepared for the reality of it.

ebby
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Great travel tips for anyone thinking of visiting Dublin: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/10/dont.do.in.dublin.matador/index.html

I really actually agree with most of them! There's more stuff that could be added to the list, but that's a good start. My favourite:

2. Don't... expect to drink all night
Most pubs close at 11:30 p.m. on weeknights and 1a.m. on weekends. Something about curbing alcoholism. Well done.

Corey Haim
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM

that looks like so much fun. i am jealous!

secretsekertary
06-27-2011, 03:14 PM
My husband and I have purchased our airfare and booked our lodging for a trip to Germany and the Netherlands in September for nearly two weeks! We'll spend a few days in Berlin, then head out to the Rhineland to explore the river and castles. We'll wrap up our trip in Amsterdam. We've been using the Rick Steves guidebook and have found some absolutely charming bed and breakfast locations. AND the place we'll stay in Amsterdam is a B&B owned by some ex-pat friends of friends! I hope this means that we will find a lot of the local flavor and authentic feeling of the places we visit, as opposed to "touristy."

HOORAY!

lexa
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm going to Miami in July for about two weeks. I just need the dates confirmed. I'm excited about going on my first relaxing holiday where I won't feel like I need a holiday when I get back to work!

entropy
06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I have my make up trip to Spain planned. Segovia, Granada and Barcelona.

Kala
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Sooo excited. Just booked two separate 4 day camping adventures in early autumn to Wisconsin's beautiful Kettle Moraine State Forest. Looking forward to hiking, bicycling, and staying up late around a roaring fire. [dance]

jeth
07-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Northern or Southern unit? I haven't been to that forest in particular, but I've been in my share of state forests around here.

Kala
07-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Southern unit. I've hiked some of the trails before, but this is the first time I'll be camping there.

wout
07-05-2011, 07:23 AM
then head out to the Rhineland to explore the river and castles.

That area is incredibly beautiful! Cochem, Trier, Bernkastel, the Lorelei, vineyards, hiking trails, castles, medieval villages...
Enjoy :)

jeth
07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Ahhh, cool. Have fun. :)

Jessy
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Sooo excited. Just booked two separate 4 day camping adventures in early autumn to Wisconsin's beautiful Kettle Moraine State Forest. Looking forward to hiking, bicycling, and staying up late around a roaring fire. [dance]

ooh, we were thinking of going there this past weekend, but i think we will also go in the fall also to experience the color changes. I can't wait - i've never been there before. :)

Faust
07-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm super excited! Tomorrow I'm flying out to Europe for a two week trip. I'll be heading through Berlin and into Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Poland. If anyone would like me to write them a postcard, please PM me. :)

Rabih
07-10-2011, 09:44 AM
^ Enjoy it to the max!! *subscribes*

Faust
07-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Ahhhh, absolutely loving Berlin. :)

Heading off to Potsdam today! Also, I totally forgot to mention that I'll be visiting Hungary as well. Aaaaaaah! Excitement overload.

JayPeaches
08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Any suggestions on where to stay in Saint Augustine, FL? I'm looking for a good 3-day weekend trip, but don't really want to have to spend $200+ a night.

Rum 509
08-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Just got back from 4 days in the remote Sierras. No Internet, no cell phone, no TELEPHONES except for some satellite hook-up they have. Electricity goes off at 10pm. 6 hours driving to get there followed by another 20 miles of Hair Raising mountain road to get there. It was gorgeous.

Kala
08-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Your trip sounds fantastic, Dale. <3

I booked a vacation for early November to Big Bend National Park for 8 days of hiking. The lodge we're staying at states the rooms have no internet or cell phone access, and no telephones or TV's. Also, there are miles of unpaved roads that we're going to be driving on to get to the various trail heads. Sooo excited!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Pix/pictures/2008/03/10/BigBendDannyLehman4.jpg

Frangipani
08-14-2011, 04:17 AM
OMG LUCKEEEEEEEEE. Im so excited for you! I was just driving on 10 across from ny to cali, and we camped somewhere about 50 miles away from Big Bend. The area was beautiful, I would have loved to spend more time exploring that area of TX. Time just slows down on those desolate desert roads that seem to go on forever...

I bet water and gas are expensive in town! lol.

Rum, you cant go wrong with the Sierras, but yeah those roads (the cliffy, high altitude ones) make me ill. Hell, even hwy 1 makes me scared out my pants. But it always winds up worth it in the end.

When my I was 16 my guy and I went up into the trinity alps in early spring. I got this map from a trucker at the diner I worked for. It was basically a hand drawn hunters map, and the landmarks on the map were things like an old mattress, cabin log, a broken old timey mine...etc. We got 20 miles up a mountain on a janky dirt road in my ford tempo when we hit a patch of snow and our car got stuck. We figured we were closer to the trailhead than we were to a main road so we left a note on the car and hit the trail. The note said "sorry. went backpacking, if not back in 8 days, call my mom". Whoever found my car called her anyway and threatened to send helicopters out. We woke up to bloody bear paw prints in the spring snow every morning. Thankfully they were black bears. I've never seen rivers so turquoise in my life. I wish i had known how to fish, and came during fishing season.

Rum 509
08-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Your trip sounds fabulous Kala! Really, considering the news last week, I was pretty glad to have missed it all. Why would anyone try to stay in touch when they're getting away?

Here's a few pics -
Home is where the dog hangs!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/Louinthetent.jpg

The view from (near) the tent-cabin.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/view.jpg

We rode horses, because... they were there.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/riding.jpg

And geocaching.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/geocache.jpg

This is part of the road, without the cliffs. I was invited for a ride and then invited to ride in back. :rolleyes: It's two way traffic and some people are dragging HUGE trailers in here. Sheesh.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/pickup.jpg

And this is a chipmunk. NOT an impostor squirrel or chubby cartoon. These guys are less than half the size, and don't hold still for long, ever. This one is on one of the bbq thingys, made from a truck wheel and a clothes washer drum.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/chipmunk.jpg

And Fran - I grew up in Redding and went backpacking in the Trinitys with my parents and later on my own. This is the New River, and I believe it's that turquoise color you're talking about.
As it gets deeper, it gets bluer, but it's perfectly clear.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/DNathome/BlueNewRiver.jpg

ETA - BLOODY PAW PRINTS?!?!!

Frangipani
08-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Aw Rum, that looks absolutely incredible. I saw those tent thingies featured in National Geographic once and have wanted to check em out ever since. Gorgeous. And yeppers, thats the river. I couldnt believe how beautiful it was when i saw it. Snaking through the grey rock. I'm going to have to go back soon.

Ugh that road though :( nothing sends your stress up quicker on those kinds of roads than having to deal with two way traffic. Wouldnt sitting in the back of the truck be better? Easier to bail when youre not rolling down the side of a cliff in a tin can, right? (*shakes)

and ok lol i saw paw prints everyday, but they were only bloody once. Not every morning. And maybe they were bloody because the poor bear stepped on a sharp rock or something, and there was no nefarious bear activity going on at all...lol. All i could think about was how hungry they must have been, coming out of winter at the same time we were marching through their territory. If i ever did that trip again, (grizzly lake/meadows) i would definitely consider bringing some poppers or something to properly scare a bear with.

Lo
08-19-2011, 01:39 AM
I leave for Iceland tomorrow!! So excited!

Rabih
08-19-2011, 06:35 AM
^ You will have a great time :D Iceland rocks! Enjoy it :)

bratboy
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Any recommendations on good food in San Francisco?

Jessy
08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I leave for Iceland tomorrow!! So excited!

i leave next wednesday! i 'm more excited about iceland than my own wedding!

toriMODE
08-19-2011, 10:59 PM

Harvey's!

coronaradiata
08-21-2011, 05:02 AM
I just moved to omgnyc for college. :) any recommendations for good cheap food/other cool odds and ends?

Frangipani
08-21-2011, 05:13 AM

NAAN & CURRY (!!!)
Bacco (italian)
The Citrus House on Haight (OMG BEST PRICE BEST NOODLE)
Yank Sing (deem sum, fun experience too, they constantly parade food by your table. its dangerous)
those are some of my faves, but really. if a restaraunt is well reviewed in sf, it means its freaking great usually. San Francisoco is king of noms, enjoy!

Mordecai
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I just moved to omgnyc for college. :) any recommendations for good cheap food/other cool odds and ends?

Aw, bless. Best of luck to you.

Bagels: http://www.murraysbagels.com/index2.htm <---I lived for four years on their lentil soup
Dosa cart on south side of Washington Square Park
Falafel: Rainbow Falafal (http://cheapassfood.com/eats/show/200-a-pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-rainbow)
Hot chocolate: http://www.thecitybakery.com/
Korean food: 32nd street off Broadway
Pierogi: http://www.veselka.com/
Sushi/all your Japanese needs: 9th street near Sunrise Mart (http://nymag.com/listings/stores/sunrise_mart01/)
Syro-Lebanese food: http://www.alfanoose.com/
Vietnamese sammiches: http://www.yelp.com/biz/nickys-vietnamese-sandwiches-new-york

Bedding/clothes: http://www.c21stores.com/
Books: http://www.strandbooks.com/
Flea market: http://www.brooklynflea.com/
Gifts for co-workers/random relatives/people you don't care for: http://peachfrog.com/
Movies in the park: http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/things-to-do/family-community/cpc-film-festival.html
Nerding out: http://www.fpnyc.com/
New Clothes: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/stores/ny_soho_store.html
Old Clothes: http://www.beaconscloset.com/
Random chinoiserie: http://pearlriver.com/v2/index.html
Summer fun outdoors: http://govisland.com/html/home/home.shtml

Afropunk Fest: http://www.afropunk.com/
Other stuff to do: http://flavorpill.com/newyork

Kari
08-22-2011, 07:24 PM

You did?!? Woo hoo!

My fave cheap eats:

Rai Rai Ken (Ramen noodles) http://www.yelp.com/biz/rai-rai-ken-new-york (Ippudo also great but ALWAYS crowded)
Nha Trang One (vietnamese - best pho and totally cheap!) http://www.yelp.com/biz/nha-trang-one-new-york
Mamoun's falafel http://www.yelp.com/biz/mamouns-falafel-new-york
Dojo (a college classic) http://www.yelp.com/biz/dojo-restaurant-new-york
Halal cart on 53rd and 6th (if you are uptown ever)
Shake Shack!
St. Mark's Place in general is usually a good bet for cheap food

Stuff to do - ALL THE MUSEUMS! srsly, use that student discount. I really love the Frick - smaller and lesser known but fantastic.
Most of Mordecai's suggestions
Will also add Magnolia Bakery for banana pudding
City Hall Park is a great place to sit and people watch
Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
The staten island ferry is a free way to see NYC from the water

coronaradiata
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
thanks so much to you both!

Lucian
08-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Y
Dojo (a college classic) http://www.yelp.com/biz/dojo-restaurant-new-york

Oh god Dojo brings me back! (went to NYU 8 years ago)

I loved Cafe Habana on Spring Street, Cuban food, the grilled corn is unforgettable (obviously, I still crave it after so much time).

I'll be back in NYC this November, definitely 11/17-19, trying for the whole week of 11/14-20. I've been in LA too long, really can't wait!

Mordecai
08-26-2011, 01:42 AM
heee, Dojo! The name conjures such memories. <3 Reminds me of high school, actually.

Another thing to check out are the 23232098 Indian restaurants on 4th street between 1st and 2nd.

Morgan
08-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Any suggestions for New Zealand and Australia? South Island of New Zealand and east coast of Australia. :)

fullofwish
08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Morgan, the South Island is phenomenal. I had my first proper holiday in there about 4 years ago and it blew my mind. We only did the central part - drove from Christchurch to Queenstown then back along the coast through Oamaru (unplanned, but we got snowed in and that was the only way out of town). But it was amazing, even better than what you see on tv or in the LOTR movies ;) My personal favourite was Lake Tekapo, which is really not much more than a photostop, but I was just captivated, it was so beautiful. I was also quite entranced by Arrowtown, although I literally only had about 15 minutes there with the intention to go back for a proper visit the next day, but we got snowed in and couldn't get back :(

My parents have done a lot more SI than me and their favourite is the Caitlins area of South Otago. Rugged, natural, windswept, and far less touristy than places like Queenstown.

As for east coast Australia, well, thats massive. I've only been to Brisbane/Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne on separate trips and my personal favourite is Melbourne. I'm going there for the 7th time early next year, I just love it! If you like sunshine and warm weather (which I don't) then obviously Queensland will be great. Sydney, I thought, was overrated although the harbour is stunning. Taronga Zoo was my personal favourite, and the Opera House at night. I'm sure there are other people who have better recommendations than me. Now, if you make it to Western Australia, I'm your girl ;)

Jake
08-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Heading SOUTH baby, first time. Going to Louisville, Knoxville, and Dollywood :) Suggestions for places to go, eat, dance?

Bruce
08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Heading SOUTH baby, first time. Going to Louisville, Knoxville, and Dollywood :) Suggestions for places to go, eat, dance?

No suggestions, just wanted to say I'm so fucking jealous you are going to Dollywood! ;l I heart her big time.

JayPeaches
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM

I've got tons of foodie peeps in Knoxville! I'll ask them for recs and get back to you.

Jake
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
I've got tons of foodie peeps in Knoxville! I'll ask them for recs and get back to you.

Thank you so much, would really appreciate that! Heads up, traveling with one vegetarian so no meat buffets ;)

Lo
08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
you know when you hear about people getting stranded while on vacation and having to extend their stay and you think, "that would be awesome!!!"?

IT IS NOT AWESOME. I can't wait to go home.

JayPeaches
08-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Thank you so much, would really appreciate that! Heads up, traveling with one vegetarian so no meat buffets ;)

Here are the recs I got:

Cherokee Grill. Worth every single red cent.

have them go to market square and the old city, so much fun stuff to do and they are within walking distance, all located downtown. Good restaurants, bars and boutique shopping

Tomato Head! Its on Market Square - family & vegan friendly, one of our favorite places

Morgan
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Morgan, the South Island is phenomenal. I had my first proper holiday in there about 4 years ago and it blew my mind. We only did the central part - drove from Christchurch to Queenstown then back along the coast through Oamaru (unplanned, but we got snowed in and that was the only way out of town). But it was amazing, even better than what you see on tv or in the LOTR movies ;) My personal favourite was Lake Tekapo, which is really not much more than a photostop, but I was just captivated, it was so beautiful. I was also quite entranced by Arrowtown, although I literally only had about 15 minutes there with the intention to go back for a proper visit the next day, but we got snowed in and couldn't get back :(

My parents have done a lot more SI than me and their favourite is the Caitlins area of South Otago. Rugged, natural, windswept, and far less touristy than places like Queenstown.

As for east coast Australia, well, thats massive. I've only been to Brisbane/Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne on separate trips and my personal favourite is Melbourne. I'm going there for the 7th time early next year, I just love it! If you like sunshine and warm weather (which I don't) then obviously Queensland will be great. Sydney, I thought, was overrated although the harbour is stunning. Taronga Zoo was my personal favourite, and the Opera House at night. I'm sure there are other people who have better recommendations than me. Now, if you make it to Western Australia, I'm your girl ;)

fow: thank you so much for this! Plans aren't firm yet, but Melbourne is definitely on the list. Also, Koala cuddling will happen. I am very, VERY excited about this!! :) As far as NZ is concerned, what about Arrowtown did you like? Did you happen to go to Nelson at all, or Abel Talsman National Park? I'm also interested in going to Queenstown/Fox Glacier/Dunedin. Any recommendations specifically for Queenstown? What about Christchurch?

Thanks so much! :)

fullofwish
09-01-2011, 03:26 AM
fow: thank you so much for this! Plans aren't firm yet, but Melbourne is definitely on the list. Also, Koala cuddling will happen. I am very, VERY excited about this!! :) As far as NZ is concerned, what about Arrowtown did you like? Did you happen to go to Nelson at all, or Abel Talsman National Park? I'm also interested in going to Queenstown/Fox Glacier/Dunedin. Any recommendations specifically for Queenstown? What about Christchurch?

Thanks so much! :)

I've not been to the top of the South Island but from what I've heard its quite glorious. I've seen pictures from my parents trip to the Fox Glacier and it looks unreal. They helicoptered to the top then walked down and raved about that experience. I've not been to Dunedin and I don't recall ever hearing anyone get excited about Dunedin either. But if you are down that way then it is a major city worth stopping in.

Arrowtown was just a pretty, tiny little town (which I am a sucker for) with lovely tree lined streets and brick buildings and it was quaint and adorable. I love that shit ;l But I only got to walk around for about 10-15 minutes before I had to head back into Queenstown and the next day the snow hit and we couldn't make it back for a second look. Arrowtown and Queenstown are both really expensive. They are seriously interested in the tourist $$$ and you pay for the privilege! But I think a lot of resort-y snow towns are like that.

Queenstown has a great gondola with amazing views over the mountains and Lake Wakatipu. You can luge or parasail down to the bottom if you want. There is bunjee jumping nearby over the Kawerau River, the Shotover Jet, lots of adventure drive trail tours you can do (again, something I had planned by had to cancel because of the snowstorm), LOTR tours if you are interested in that kind of thing, and my personal favourite was this tacky old indoor mini golf ;l It wasn't fancy but its a fun thing to do indoors if the weather is bad. In terms of eating, I think the big favourite in town is called Ferg Burger and the line is crazylong. But it was yummy. We also ate at Lone Star which was surprisingly good with huge American-size meals ;)

As for Christchurch ... well, after the earthquake last year and earlier this year I don't know what is still up and running there. As far as I know the city centre is still closed down while they tear down buildings and I don't know how long that is going to last. Also, I have family there so I haven't spent much time actually looking around Christchurch because I am normally being entertained by my grandma ;l I do remember going to an excellent Indian restaurant down there but I don't recall the name. I can ask my parents if they remember if Indian food is your thing.

But honestly, the best thing about the South Island is that its greatest asset can be enjoyed for free - the scenery. Drive up the mountains, go lakeside, stare down the gorges, the MacKenzie basin is amazing - just get out of town and just enjoy the space and scarcity of people. The stars at night are phenomenal. If you are there when its snowing its just magic, it truly took my breath away just driving around and taking pictures.

And if by chance you end up in Auckland, holla!

Jake
09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Here are the recs I got:

THANK YOU so much. Really appreciate that, researching those places now. I'll report back after Labor Day :)

dmblue
09-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Quick question for any Londoners (or former Londoners):
I'm moving to London towards the end of September for school! Very excited, but having trouble finding accommodations. Any recommendations for online resources to check out and/or whether letting agencies are worth their fees in general? Also, if anyone has any neighborhood impressions/opinions/suggestions I'd love to hear them and would be ever so appreciative! Many thanks!

lexa
09-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm moving to London towards the end of September for school! Very excited, but having trouble finding accommodations. Any recommendations for online resources to check out and/or whether letting agencies are worth their fees in general? Also, if anyone has any neighborhood impressions/opinions/suggestions I'd love to hear them and would be ever so appreciative! Many thanks!

I would never use a letting agency here. I know so many friends who had trouble getting their deposits back when leaving.

Are you looking for shared accommodation? For that I always use www.spareroom.co.uk and http://uk.easyroommate.com.

http://www.gumtree.com/london can also be used but isn't as good as it used to be as there's heaps of agency listings there now. You can look for non-shared accommodations there though.

As for neighbourhoods, recommendations would depend on where your school is, how much of a commute you want, how much you want to spend on commuting, and what your accommodation budget is.

Rabih
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh my god. Hello :D I am moving to London towards the end of September for school as well and have no confirmation on my housing yet ;l
Good luck!