PDA

View Full Version : Film shooters? What have you got?

ej
07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I haven't shot film in a LONG time ... but I did take my film SLR out on Thursday. Still waiting for the opportunity to get the film processed, though. :(

Em
07-03-2010, 10:43 PM
There's only one place in my town that even processes film anymore. Rite-Aid. Not even Walmart processes their own film anymore. :(

Wen
07-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I send mine away for processing, but have collected a few rolls from... oh, over a year now? ;l Being lazy at posting them, but sending them away is cheaper than the local places, and I don't get the nudge nudge nudge reaction by mail. Do you get prints when you develop? I only get the negs and scan them these days. oh, and most places locally only do c41, no proper black and white or slides (depends on places).

And I do love my polaroids, I still have a stock from a while ago, from before they stopped selling the 600 film. I need to find/make time to shoot more, and I barely use my digital camera these days. Mainly my nikon fe2 [post28]

ej
07-03-2010, 11:15 PM
It's nice to work downtown. There's a place that's walking distance from me that does E-6, C-41, 120/220 format, black-and-white, and cross-processing. They also print and scan to cd.

Becka
07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I had a place that did wonderful film developing but they closed shop sometime last year. I actually think I have to ask around on who does it past C41. I don't get prints when I have film developed, just negs and a CD (because I'm lazy and won't scan forever).

As far as film cameras go I have: Nikon N50 (I think here in Canada it was an F50?), Lubitel 166B, Holga GFN (glass lens not plastic), and a couple of 35mm point and shoot type dealios - a fuji and a kodak i think.

I just ordered a bunch of film from fourcornerstore.com I got a grabbag of black and white film, some 120 b/w and some Rollei Red Bird

Em
07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I still have two big ol' zip lock bags of film in my freezer from when I bought my Bronicas. Mostly medium format Kodak Portra, but I also have some regular 35mm film, a couple rolls of Fuji slides, and a roll of Agfa Scala that I have no idea what to do with. I have a polaroid back for the Bronicas as well, but have never shot any [yet?] - I'm not even sure what size film it would need. I'd love to try it out some time, though.

As far as film cameras that I have:
Bronica ETR-S
Bronica ETR-C
Holga GCFN
2 Minolta Maxxum 5
Nikon N80
Pentax point and shoot
one other point and shoot I can't remember..

Wen
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Part of my fridge has film hogging the space, mostly slides and polaroid. The rest have been left to age in my room. I got hold of some agfa scala, and not sure either what to do with them. There might be a place in france that develops them, but the prices will kill me.

Em (gosh, I typed courey and had to delete it ;)) you should be able to use fujifilm instant like FP100C and FP100B. There's also FP3000B which is slightly more difficult to find, in the uk anyway. I'm not sure whether you have the same polaroid back as this. Seems to be like the hasselblad polaroid back i've seen, it'll only use part of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ComB9GmNlKg

And for the film cameras I have:
Nikon FE2 with 50mm, 28mm and 105mm lenses
minolta autocord
polaroid sx-70
polaroid sx-70 sonar onestep (gift from a flickr friend [post28])
Polaroid land 450
Polaroid land 180
Polaroid spectra/image pro
Pentax p30 & 50mm lens (gift from my dad, the camera doesn't always work)
Olympus XA2 (gift from my grandpa when I was 10)

The pentax and the 450 will probably go to my sister if she wants them.

My resolution from start of the year was to try self developing black and white. I've only got the development tank and reel from my grandpa so far ;l

Em
07-05-2010, 04:07 PM
yep, that's the same exact back that I have! Disappointing that it doesn't use the whole frame. :(

Wen
07-05-2010, 11:31 PM
:( I've actually seen a polaroid back for nikon 35mm cameras, it used even less of the photo frame. I can see the use if you're using film only and need to test the exposure/light etc. Not much of an issue with digital though.

I'm trying to get a step up adapter - 45mm to 52mm, for the polaroid 180, and cannot find any on UK shops :( might need to check second hand shops (none on ebay right now)

ej
07-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Wish I had had black and white film for this.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4775773055_cc3353b8bc_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neur0mancer/4775773055/)

This poor camera's light meter is broken, so I've had to guess at exposure -- and I don't get the feedback until the film is processed. So far, I've been doing ok. But I will admit that shooting film gives me more latitude for minor errors than digital does!

I haven't been taking notes on my settings, but I was somewhere around f/2.8 on this -- the DoF is almost as narrow as a blade with this lens when you get close to your subject at that aperture.

fox in socks
07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
i have an old school canon rebel 2k. i havent used it since ive gotten my dslr. i do miss the natural color sat of slide film.....

ej
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Kodak Gold. NOT my favourite film. Must get some Portra NC.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4785492608_d15a2a4629_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/neur0mancer/4785492608/)

Kala
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Haven't shot film in years, but my first camera was a Minolta SRT 201 which I still own! [yikes]

Em
07-12-2010, 10:44 PM
My first one, that was actually MINE and not 'borrowed' from my mom, was a Pentax K 1000. I miss that little beast. I still have the lens, but got rid of the body when the shutter finally quit. :(

beKa
07-13-2010, 02:10 AM
I love collecting and using vintage cameras. I have a Yashika Lynx 5000e Rangefinder, a Pentax Spotmatic F, a Canon A35 Datelux Rangefinder and a Stereo Realist that I have yet to use yet. Also a Holga 120n.

ej
07-13-2010, 03:30 AM
^^ Spotmatic twin! Your F is of a slightly newer vintage than my SP500. :)

beKa
07-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Nice! How is yours holding up? I have trouble finding batteries and getting the light meter to work.

ej
07-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Well, the fact that I can take pictures with it at all is pretty much enough for me. I bought it for $5 from an "antiques" booth at a street festival. The battery compartment is fused shut, so I work COMPLETELY in manual. Manual focus, manual metering -- I base my metering on sunny-16 and adjust accordingly.

beKa
07-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I did the same the last time I used it, which wasn't that long ago. Images came out fine for the most part, but it was broad daylight so it was hard to go wrong. The meter used to work, as I had found a replacement non-mercury battery, but it was so long ago that I can't even remember where I got it from. I've been trying to use film more these days, to learn more, but it's so easy to also grab my digital.

ej
07-13-2010, 05:03 AM
It's cheaper to learn on digital. The principles are the same. It's just easier to be lazy. :D

beKa
07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
For sure. What's funny is sometimes I think my digital is too complex..there are so many features on them now that flipping through dials and buttons can be a hassle. Though nothing can beat being able to see pictures right away and edit them in camera!

ej
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Sometimes I struggle NOT to change the ISO on my film camera when there's low light. ;l

Em
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
^ I was doing that BEFORE I went digital. ;l Pushing black and white iso 400 to iso 1600 gave some interesting results, I thought! I did that with this one: http://www.externalfocus.com/nature/tuftedtitmouse2.html

ej
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Pushing a couple of stops on b&w is one thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite as well with colour film. [disgust]

mayfly
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm currently shooting film.
I shot a roll in Spring and when
it was time to develop, knew of
nowhere but Wal-Mart to drop
it off at. It came back fine but
I miss mom & pop shops for
film processing [thumbsdown]

Em
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Our Walmart doesn't even do processing anymore; everything's sent out. There is an independent processor about an hour away that's gotten ungodly expensive. Poor film. :(

mayfly
10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
well to be clear, yes... it was sent out through Wal-Mart.
everything has gone digital... I can't believe film is already
becoming a lost art & so quickly.
when i was a teenager i had my own darkroom (only B&W)
and it was a constant joy to develop & watch those images
appear, almost as ghosts, on the blank page. it never got
old. my dream is to set up another darkroom in the next
house i live in... although i wonder how easy it will be
to find my chemicals.

Em
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Well if you do happen to find someone nearby that develops film on site, I've found that they often carry the chemicals for sale, as well. At least, the couple in next biggest town over that I know of do so. Also you might look into seeing if there is some sort of co-op/community darkroom; you can just rent the room as needed. I haven't ever developed my own, but would love to do that, even if just for black and white negatives. I miss using my medium format, it's just way too expensive now.