PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Slean talk...passioneers up and into this thread!

Pages : [1] 2

scottslean
07-04-2010, 02:13 PM
So it wouldn't be our beloved OMA without a Sarah Slean thread!

I'm a huge fan. Ever since i heard "sweet ones" on a college radio station when I was 13. Actually if it wasn't for Sarah I would have never gotten into Tori. I saw her for the first time at a local flower festival then again three years later at a tiny dive bar...Honestly they were two of the best shows I've ever been to. She has such spirit and character on stage and is perhaps even better live...

my favorite album is hands down Night Bugs without a doubt. From beginning to end there is nothing to skip.[post28]

alright, your turn! how did you find out about the wonderful Sarah Slean, and what is your favorite album?

http://wber.monroe.edu/albums/albun04/slean05.sized.jpg
from said festival..look how young she is!!!

tornado
07-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I love Day One.

Lucky Me and Mary rarely leave my iPod for very long.

The Seaward
07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
LOVEloveLOVE sarah! i, too, got into her through "sweet ones" and night bugs. her music always reminds me of autumn nights in texas.

while night bugs and day one are my favorites, i really love all of her albums. (yes, even the baroness.)

oh, what i wouldn't give to see a tour come to texas featuring all of my favorite canadians, i.e. sarah, hawksley workman, emm gryner, and ron sexsmith.

Michael Michael
07-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Day One is a great album, and Nightbugs is a very good one. There are some very good songs on Universe and Blue Parade, and even when she's being a Tori Amos clone (as she sometimes was in those early days) she's a good Tori Amos clone (evidence: title track from 'Universe.')

But shit did I have absolutely no feelings for The Baroness. It's like she identified what was interesting and engaging about her music and consciously decided to remove it. I know she's still got it because many of the non-album tracks still have the verve and immediacy of Nightbugs and Day One. I remember liking a few of the album tracks too. Still, a bit early in your career to pull a Beekeeper I should think!

Since The Baroness I've found it hard to muster enthusiasm. Hopefully she'll do something awesome in the near future and interest will be rekindled.

The Seaward
07-05-2010, 02:00 AM
i can understand the dissapointment with the baroness, but "get home" is one of her best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUOl9TM-Pw
youtube seems to have removed the lovely noir-ish official video. :(

scottslean
07-05-2010, 02:13 AM
I dont understand the baroness dislike- it certainly doesn't deserve to be compared to the beekeeper. Songs like "Notes from the Underground", "Sound of Water", and "Goodnight Trouble" are so moving...at least to me. Yeah its very polished and poppy, but all of her releases are (sans "Universe" and "Blue Parade"). There are some clunkers..."Willow", "So Many Miles"..i'm looking at you..However, for the most part, it's pretty. Lastly, considering what most of the songs are about (depression, eating disorders, etc.) It's definitely interesting when put into context (of what Sarah was going through).

The Seaward
07-05-2010, 02:27 AM
i agree with all of that. ^^ 100%

Michael Michael
07-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Get Home = zzzzzzzz. It sure ain't no Lucky Me.

Baroness just sounds like a lesser sarah mclachlan record to my ears (and I really don't like sarah mclachlan to start with).

imho imho imho imho.

sara
07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Day One is amazing. Night Bugs is great, but I'm not a fan of Hawksley's production (I'd rather him as a performer) so it sits at second favourite for me. Universe and Blue Parade have some amazing tracks (Universe, Me and Jerome, High, etc). The Baroness was ok. Sound of Water is quite nice and...yeah that's about it. It doesn't hold a candle to her past work.
That being said, I'd still go see her whenever she plays a show. The best ones I've seen were at a wee club in Halifax where I practically was sitting on stage and ended up running to the bar for her halfway through her set, and at the Rosa in Calgary.

PoorMatty
07-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Night Bugs is amazing, and I do like most of Day One, but The Baroness was pretty bland. Get Home is good, but not as good as anything on Night Bugs.

This is pretty much where I am. I can't really remember anything about any of the songs on The Baroness, and I listened to it quite a few times. Night Bugs is probably one of my top 25 favorite records of all time. Every note is perfect to my ears. "Sweet Ones" and "Book Smart, Street Stupid" are classic songs.

I lost my copy of Day One. It's been a bitch to find from any of my usual (unseemly) online sources, they don't carry it on emusic, and it's so expensive to order a physical copy, so I haven't listened to it in years. Remember really liking it a lot though.

EDIT: I do remember a little bit about "Get Home," and whenever I try to recall it in my head, it invariably segues of its own accord into "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders.

"Get home, get hoooooooome . . . . . . . won't let nobody hurt yoooooooooooooooooou . . . "

Spartacus
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I love The Baroness. It is unfairly criticized in my opinion. The whole thing stems from a dark period in her life and for me, reflects that perfectly. The album is very much a grower.

spark
07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I totally agree with The Baroness dislike.. but for me it's more about the production of the album than the songs themselves. When Sarah did that CBC radio set and pulled out solo piano versions of stuff like Euphoria and Notes from the Underground it was just impeccable!

The Seaward
07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
The Baroness would kick The Beekeeper's ass in the production department any day of the week. (imo!!)

howieD
07-16-2010, 02:08 AM
the harmonies in this STILL make my hairs stand on end.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/7115310/Sarah_Slean_Twin_Moon

Michael Michael
07-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Oh fuck, that song gets deep inside my soul. I used to put it on late at night and lie on the bed and close my eyes and listen to it. It just has something very special about it. Maybe I'll listen to it tonight.

howieD
07-16-2010, 03:47 AM
http://sadgettingsadder.com/slean/

^ Just in case anybody is missing the 2 (complete) shows from which Orphan Music was culled.

(why didn't we get High, or Blue Parade on the LP? boo)

pan
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
omg...

her albums are all available on the US itunes store. (including The Baroness Redecorates)

*runs out to buy an itunes card*

I only have two of her records and have felt extremely deprived.

they were like 30 bucks each new on amazon.

Jake
09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
^^FANTASTIC news! Hopefully that means the upcoming album will be too. YAY!

pan
09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
now I can see how bad the baroness is (or isn't...bitches ;))

I'm gonna listen starting with the first record to the last.

Peeping Tommi
09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
http://sadgettingsadder.com/slean/

^ Just in case anybody is missing the 2 (complete) shows from which Orphan Music was culled.

(why didn't we get High, or Blue Parade on the LP? boo)

Thank you so much for the link, I'm downloading right now!

Girl Friday
09-28-2010, 05:43 AM
I adore The Baroness, but it kinda struck a chord with where I was when I heard it. It is certainly no Night Bugs. Day-um that album is great.
I need new Sleany!

Peeping Tommi
09-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Sarah is currently recording her new double album. 'Land And Sea' is the working title. Ah, I can't wait!

Girl Friday
09-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Sarah is currently recording her new double album. 'Land And Sea' is the working title. Ah, I can't wait!

ADKGJA;DLKSJDI.SDK@!!!

:eek:

holy. shit. That is some of the most exciting music news!!!

Jake
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Any idea on when we can expect the new album? I'm beyond excited. And a DOUBLE album?! I'm a sucker for them. Especially with Sarah at the helm.

Callum
09-30-2010, 09:40 PM
She's been working on it for a while. The "Land" half, produced by Joel Plaskett, is finished, dunno about "Sea" (or who's producing that, it's somebody different anyway).

sara
10-01-2010, 04:36 AM
The "Land" half, produced by Joel Plaskett.
Hopefully he's a better producer than songwriter.

The Seaward
10-01-2010, 05:20 AM
very excited for the double album. :D

separate note: i wish sarah would hook up with hawksley workman again. they bring out the best in one another.

ProdigyBoy
11-12-2010, 08:04 PM
My first post on Unforumzed...

Great to hear that she's available in the US iTunes. When her site was overhauled they said she planned to make her entire digital catalog available internationally.

I second that I would love to see her and Hawksley together again. I saw him live a few months ago and he's still great. Sarah and him played a show together this summer. You can stream it on the CBC site. The link is on littlelsean.

Her B-side Album, Beauty Lives, went on sale yesterday. Looks like 50 of the hand painted ones are out of stock. The remaining 50 of those will be sold at the shows. Regular editions are available to purchase right now. Release date is December 20.

The New Double Album.
Land portion with Joel Plaskett is done and being mastered. She has played 2 songs from this album live, one being "Land".
The "Sea" portion is being produced by film composer Jonathan Goldmsith. Jonathan arranged Martin Tiellie's I'll Never Tear You Apart that Sarah recorded on for Black Flowers with the Art of Time Ensemble. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4eZ0gIz66c ). She is recording this with symphony orchestra London (ON).
Here is a clip of Sarah briefly describing the difference between the 2 albums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu63x_qKUMM
The whole album release date is for April but IMO I could see that getting delayed. Following the album there should be a national tour and then some international dates...

Lastly, sheet music is coming out. Your Wish is My Wish is available on her site and she has collected feedback on it for improvements.

If your interested in following Sarah she's on Twitter and there a bunch of ways to be udpated via http://littleslean.blogspot.com

Jake
11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
What an amazing, giving artist. Can't wait for the new double album, and I'll definitely be getting Beauty Lives.

wout
11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I really should check her out. One of the Dutch @-posters once made me a mix-cd with some of her tracks. I played some songs to death!
I haven't listened to them in a while, so this thread is a good reminder. I remember absolutely loving:
- Twin moon
- Universe
- John xxiii [post28]

Which album would you recommend?

The Seaward
11-12-2010, 09:31 PM
NIGHT BUGS!!! then Day One!! :D

Jake
11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
^Seconded, for sure. Fans will argue which is better but I still maintain that Night Bugs is perfect.

wout
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok then :)

I couldn't find the mix-cd I have so I youtubed Universe and I'd forgotten how gorgeous that song actually was.

And, John 23rd isn't an album track it seems??? (it's also not on youtube, pooh)

ProdigyBoy
11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
I think Orphan Music is a great sampler. Some of the b-sides included might not fit but the album but I think it highlights her nicely.
Second to that, I have always been tied to Night Bugs. The Baroness got poor reviews but some songs on it really spoke to people like Looking for Someone and Shadowland.

You guys are also invited to join in the fan run initiative of the Passioneer Holiday Project. That's what drew me here in the first place!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gD2NzXXi_gE/TNDa3PpAjBI/AAAAAAAABAg/gbHTQVx87vc/s640/2009.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Passioneer-Holiday-Project/162986447069400)

wout
11-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm really enjoying Night Bugs!

Peeping Tommi
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Sarah will release a new B-sides album called 'Beauty Lives' at the end of December! Here's some exciting news straight from SarahSlean.com:

B Sides Limited Editions... Fancy!
December 01 2010

Sarah has been painting away in between recording and mastering sessions – and here are some of the first Limited Editions of the new B Sides album – enjoy! There will only be 100 of these little hand-painted wonders so click on over to the store and get yours now!Limited editions are only available online. The regular run of the B Sides album will be available at the holiday show and digitally sometime thereafter. Its packaging will also feature Sarah’s paintings, but of course, not quite like these one-of-a-kinds… See you at the holiday show on December 18th!

Jake
12-03-2010, 09:18 PM
The handmade editions are GORGEOUS. I wish I could afford one.

Callum
12-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Have to squee about Beauty Lives. I think people who like Universe and Blue Parade will love this. I requested Count Me Out and Hooligans, which are my favourites along with The Right Words, Sadie and Everything by the Gallon.

This project is such a nice idea, and wonderfully executed.

Peeping Tommi
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I was lucky enough to order one of the 100 limited editions of 'Beauty Lives'. I can't wait to receive my package and not only enjoy the new music, but the artwork as well!

Spartacus
12-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I am dying to hear the new B Side album. Does anybody know when the digital release will be?

ProdigyBoy
12-25-2010, 06:37 AM
No word on a digital release date. Hopefully soon. Nice avatar of Emm.

I really enjoy the album. Most impressed with Everything By The Gallon and The Right Words has become one my all time faves. I'm not used to this version of My Song. Sadie is still great as is Count Me Out. I didn't find much of a difference in I Do and Glenn Gould Song with live versions. Left some notes on the album on littleslean.

Happy holidays.

Peeping Tommi
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
'Beauty Lives B-Sides' is absolutely amazing! All the songs have something special, though 'The Right Words' is definitely the highlight for me. What a beautiful song. Sarah is just the greatest!

ProdigyBoy
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Turns out the digital release was today. I have been able confirm it in the Canadian iTunes and it looks like it is available in the international stores.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/beauty-lives-b-sides/id412635675

The Markness
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
It's available on amazon.com, and looks like it actually has been for like a week or so. Looking forward to listening to it this evening! (And the cover is GORGEOUS!)

ProdigyBoy
01-05-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks, any luck finding a legal MP3 version of Night Bugs. Doesn't seem to be one out there. Not sure if there ever was.

The Seaward
01-05-2011, 03:57 AM
i'm really loving Beauty Lives. it's exactly what i've been needing lately. very much looking forward to the new double album!

Jake
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
^Ditto, it's such a nice collection and flows so well for the songs being from different eras of her career. I can't wait until we get official news on double album.

Girl Friday
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
i'm really loving Beauty Lives. it's exactly what i've been needing lately. very much looking forward to the new double album!

Same here... I've felt stale with all music lately, this was just the thing. :)
Is there a date for the double album yet?

spark
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Mmm I love the album too.

But I feel there's a world of difference between the original Glenn Gould song and the one on Beauty Lives. I could barely get through the original, with Sarah's crazy funny preamble.

"I dream about this man on a daily basis, I seriously need to seek some professional help. If anyone knows any numbers, please contact me after the showwww. I love him, okay I LOVE him, like I feel like I know him coz I've read like every single biography of him there is available... But apparently he was HETEROsexual... Much to the other ideas of other people, much to the chagrin of many males..."

..... lolol :) .. also her vocals are actually shaky on that one IMO. But the vocals on Beauty Lives are so serene, and fits the context of the song perfectly. The line, "I love this quiet, this dead man's smile" never struck me at all, until I heard this version!

ProdigyBoy
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Mmm I love the album too.

But I feel there's a world of difference between the original Glenn Gould song and the one on Beauty Lives. I could barely get through the original, with Sarah's crazy funny preamble.

"I dream about this man on a daily basis, I seriously need to seek some professional help. If anyone knows any numbers, please contact me after the showwww. I love him, okay I LOVE him, like I feel like I know him coz I've read like every single biography of him there is available... But apparently he was HETEROsexual... Much to the other ideas of other people, much to the chagrin of many males..."

..... lolol :) .. also her vocals are actually shaky on that one IMO. But the vocals on Beauty Lives are so serene, and fits the context of the song perfectly. The line, "I love this quiet, this dead man's smile" never struck me at all, until I heard this version!

lol. For the CBC Sounds of The Season show Buck65 talking to Sarah at the Glenn Gould Theater talked about that crush. I thought she would then go play that song but she played The Right Words. *shh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e77uCWiLcc I should have a tape of the broadcast coming to me in the mail this month...

As for the new album, earliest is April but I would give it at least a few more months then that. Sarah will have some news on Sea. Beauty Lives is a great a tie over. Sadie gives me goose bumps sometimes.

Cameron

anyone else have The Baroness, The Baroness Redecorates and Beauty Lives all line up in a row in the iTunes album list?

ProdigyBoy
01-31-2011, 04:33 AM
Still waiting on the Sounds of the Season tape but.... Sarah has a new music video for The Rose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3QcjKulvM&hd=1

The making of video is pretty neat too and Sarah plays along a couple of times on the 'prop' piano.

http://vimeo.com/17888209

ProdigyBoy
04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Sarah's new string arrangement is out on iTunes. 4 songs = $4.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/string-quartet-no-2/id430179141

Jake
04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Sarah's new string arrangement is out on iTunes. 4 songs = $4.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/string-quartet-no-2/id430179141

Is this just a side project or a preview of strings for the new album?

The Markness
04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Looks like the new single "Set It Free" is due out May 2nd? Exciting!

Jake
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Looks like the new single "Set It Free" is due out May 2nd? Exciting!

Nice!! Where'd you see that?

The Markness
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Nice!! Where'd you see that?

The littleslean blog. The link is above, in ProdigyBoy's signature. So excited for new Sarah! Though apparently the album has an official release date of late September, which seems forever far away. Oy.

Meowth
04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Great news!

ProdigyBoy
04-21-2011, 05:21 AM
If you happen to read this in the next few hours, you can get a unreleased song from Sarah's upcoming album. It is part of compilation in support of Japan and includes artists like Tori (500 Miles) and Ani.

http://www.solfj.org/tracks

There might be better spot on this forum to share this link but I couldn't find it at this time. I hope fans find it...

Jake, the String Quartet scoring was a side project for Lucy Rupert's dance.
Anyone else get the string arrangement? I enjoy it but am interested in any review/critiques to see where it stands with other contemporary classical pieces.

blissgurl
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
^ Was anyone able to download this? I didn't find out in time and wasn't able to donate.

Girl Friday
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Just popped up in my FB feed, I wish I could go to one of the shows!

http://artoftimeensemble.com/performances_2010Songbook5.html

ProdigyBoy
05-11-2011, 03:56 AM
CBC has a show that features news songs done with Sarah and Jorane together. I'm not sure if how long they will keep it up but if anyone knows a method of archiving it I would be keen to know how. Any translation of the French would be interesting too. =p

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/rendezvous/episodes/episode-3-sarah-slean-and-jorane.html

I will be seeing the Songbook show w/ Art of Time. I posted what I think will be the complete set list. Hopefully CBC will record this concert as they have with the past Art of Time shows. Good chance this will become an album like Black Flowers was. *fingers crossed*

Jake
05-11-2011, 03:58 AM
I adore Black Flowers! Based on the list of artists from Songbook 5, I bet it would be an amazing collection. Anyone have the full song list?

ProdigyBoy
05-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Jake, I'm pretty sure my blog posting is the most complete list we will have before the concert.

With the CBC concert, if you hit at Audio tab they include a live version of The Right Words. This is the first time Sarah has sang in French.

Jake
05-11-2011, 04:39 AM
!!!! Little Green and Joga? A PJ cover. Oh my god. They better release it.

Any word on the first single? Your blog says May 2nd, assuming that's changed.

ProdigyBoy
05-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Single is delayed for re-mastering. Not sure what the time line is on it.

I can tell the cbc videos are hosted by theplatform.com but no luck saving them.

Peeping Tommi
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Below you can listen to Sarah's brand new single 'Set If Free' off of her new album 'Land & Sea', which will hopefully be released on September 27th. The song reminds me of 'Day One' a lot, so for all of those who love that song: you're in for a treat!

http://soundcloud.com/frontside/sarah-slean-set-it-free

Spartacus
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you, I love it. I am glad she has gone back to this style of music.

Peeping Tommi
06-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm glad you like it! I'm actually more a fan of her recent work (since 'The Baroness'), so I'm personally more excited about the 'Sea'-part of the album. Still, it's good to hear something new from Sarah Slean!

blissgurl
06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks so much!! I love it, too and can't wait for the album!

Jake
06-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Definitely more 'Day One'-esque. It's great! Thanks so much for posting!

neverwhere
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Definitely sounds like it would fit on Day One. Am I the only one who is secretly hoping she'll work with Hawksley Workman again?
I didn't see this mentioned on her site, where did you get the track?

The Seaward
06-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Sarah and Hawksley bring out the best in one another. I'd love to hear another collaboration!

Peeping Tommi
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Definitely sounds like it would fit on Day One. Am I the only one who is secretly hoping she'll work with Hawksley Workman again?
I didn't see this mentioned on her site, where did you get the track?

She tweeted that some Canadian radiostation was already playing her new single 'Set It Free', so I googled the track hoping it would be out there, but with no luck. Until I searched for it on Soundcloud.com and found it! It's odd that there's nothing on her official website about it, though.

ProdigyBoy
07-01-2011, 10:36 PM
She tweeted that some Canadian radiostation was already playing her new single 'Set It Free', so I googled the track hoping it would be out there, but with no luck. Until I searched for it on Soundcloud.com and found it! It's odd that there's nothing on her official website about it, though.

The reason why it is not posted on her official site as the version on Sound Cloud was a promo for the stations. I asked when I came across it googling a couple of weeks ago thinking it was a mistake or some accidental leak. The single will be made public as early as Tuesday.

I would love to see Sarah and Hawksley back together. Last summer they shared the stage here:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20100827roots

Cameron

spark
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Well it took a bit of brain power to figure this out, but I've thankfully been able to save the delicious streams of Sarah and Jorane. It contains directly ripped MP3s (128 kbit) and FLVs.

1. Sauve Moi (Jorane cover) [video and MP3]
2. Start Again (Slean and Jorane original) [video and MP3]
3. Stay (Jorane cover) [video and MP3]
4. The Right Words [MP3]

Here is a megaupload link for you all to download them in one package (59 MB):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0G6R5HKJ

ProdigyBoy
07-09-2011, 04:18 AM
^nice work, but the videos have now been uploaded to YouTube in full 1080 HD. The file sizes are around 10 times larger but it's so nice to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0LGmJrKQg4

If anyone can make it to Toronto August 6th, I suggest you do. Sarah is playing a free outdoor concert at Harbourfront with an Orchestra. The set list should feature much of the new material from her 'Sea' album.

No updates on the single release yet...

spark
07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
oh brother :) ..well I'll just think that they decided to upload them after the nefarious leak lol

ProdigyBoy
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Set it Free is on the Canadian iTunes right now and is currently in progress of being moved to the world wide stores.

Cameron

Peeping Tommi
07-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Set it Free is on the Canadian iTunes right now and is currently in progress of being moved to the world wide stores.

Cameron

Thanks for the information!

I must say the whole release of 'Set It Free' is a bit odd. It leaked online a while ago already, there is no video (yet), the artwork is horrible and the picture they used is old. I wonder what's going on?

Jake
07-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Set It Free keeps growing on me more and more. Such an airy song and I love how Day One-esque it is. Bring on the full album! September 27 feels so far.

ProdigyBoy
07-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the information!

I must say the whole release of 'Set It Free' is a bit odd. It leaked online a while ago already, there is no video (yet), the artwork is horrible and the picture they used is old. I wonder what's going on?

IMO they where just trying to get it in rotation like and use it like a promo. That's why they didn't use new cover art or anything. I heard they where working on it and that's why it got released after May 2nd. Sarah tweeted in April regards to one of music videos from Sea and the other day she mentioned doing wardrobe for the video for this song. New promo pics have been shot to. It was just last month when they where in studio recording the Sea album so my guess their attention is more on the album then the single. So the pieces are coming together but think this single is more out there for the fans that wanted a taste of the Land side.

The lead up is going to be pretty different now that she's not with Warner.

Set it Free is now available internationally on iTunes.
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/alb​um/set-it-free/id449302917?i=4​49302942&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

just owls
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Each week, leading up to the album release, Sarah is going to release a "making of" video. Here is the first, about the recording of "Amen":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwT7YdTSQ0Q

blissgurl
08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for sharing. I am beyond excited for this album!!

just owls
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
The making of "Set It Free"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8PR91cCLfQ

ProdigyBoy
08-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Dreams of Owls has been on top of these video updates. :)
Here is the third one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRDK0hgxFY

This video just posted of Sarah covering Queen in May with The Art of Time Ensemble I think will be enjoyed here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0iIzT70M24

I am a bit behind in posting on littleslean.
More album info is out after her concert with an orchestra a couple of weekends ago. The album will be available on double vinyl. A couple of interviews where released too.

Cameron

spark
08-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Queen cover. Jesus.

blissgurl
08-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Wow. That Queen cover is amazing.

Girl Friday
08-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Holy wow. That cover.... Speechless.

just owls
08-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Seriously. She always amazes me. I really hope that concert sees an official CD release.

Girl Friday
08-18-2011, 03:40 AM
^Agreed. Too beautiful not to release.

Jake
08-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Seriously amazing. Why this woman doesn't receive more attention, I'll never understand.

Peeping Tommi
08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Seriously amazing. Why this woman doesn't receive more attention, I'll never understand.

Yes, unbelievable isn't it? She is so amazingly talented. Her voice, her lyrics, her melodies - it's all so damn good. I really can't wait for this album!

And indeed I wish that Sarah and The Art Of Time Ensemble will release that concert (or a studio recording of the songs) again, just like they did with 'Black Flowers'.

Peeping Tommi
08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
A new making-of video is up, this time for the song 'New Pair Of Eyes'. Gosh, everything so far sounds amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EoxY-jrZgc

just owls
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
A new clip for the song "Life":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llcKi0PF8-4

Also:

Land & Sea pre-orders (including limited edition hand-mades) start tomorrow in the www.sarahslean.com store! Bundles galore and new discounts!

Peeping Tommi
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
You can pre-order your copy of 'Land & Sea' here (http://www.sarahslean.com/store#D4272)! There are also hand-made copies, the vinyl, autographed scores and bundles.

http://www.maplemusic.com/assets/product_images/sas_landsea_cd.jpg

Land Track Listing:
Life
The Day We Saved The World
Set It Free
Everybody's On TV
Amen
I Am A Light
New Pair of Eyes
Girls Hating Girls
Society Song

Sea Track Listing:
The Cosmic Ballet
Everything By The Gallon
The Devil & The Dove
Napoleon
Attention Archers
You're Not Alone
The Right Words
The One True Love
My Eyes & Your Eyes

Jake
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Argh I really want that hand-made! 80 bucks is still a little steep.

Maybe if I buy it on vinyl I'll finally get my ass in gear and build my home entertainment system :)

Anyway, so excited for this release. Interesting song titles.

Peeping Tommi
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Argh I really want that hand-made! 80 bucks is still a little steep.

Maybe if I buy it on vinyl I'll finally get my ass in gear and build my home entertainment system :)

Anyway, so excited for this release. Interesting song titles.

Yes, it's really expensive. I will skip the hand-made copy this time, since I already got one for 'Beauty Lives'. They are worth it, though!

Yes, nice songtitles. And I'm excited about 'The Right Words', since that it one of my favorites. I cannot wait to hear that one with strings!

just owls
09-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm quite excited to hear The Right Words and Everything by the Gallon with strings! This is going to be such a wonderful month for new releases. I'm expecting a lot out of this album.

ProdigyBoy
09-02-2011, 04:41 AM
You guys didn't miss a beat. The Right Words has been my fav song of Sarah's pretty much since I heard it. Hear Me Out and a few other creep in but I tend to return to that song. Seeing it on the tracklist for the album is awesome news. Here's it debut solo on piano. (Unlisted video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e77uCWiLcc

Have audio of the tune from Harbourfront and video if I combine 2 sources. May take a little time.

just owls
09-03-2011, 05:11 AM
That's a beautiful performance. Thanks so much for sharing! I look forward to the Harbourfront performance as well, whenever it comes!

spark
09-03-2011, 01:08 PM
It's a good performance. Thanks :)

So uh, I am curious.. All these 'making of' videos are great, for sure.. But what does everyone think of that producer guy? lol

just owls
09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
The making of The Day We Saved the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPtZU4cqLLQ

spark
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I've never seen so many uncomfortable and frustrating moments when recording an album lol.. or maybe it's just that this is a more honest version of it all..... lol

Peeping Tommi
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
So uh, I am curious.. All these 'making of' videos are great, for sure.. But what does everyone think of that producer guy? lol

I think he's very, very irritating and basically overtaking all of the Making Of videos. As if this is his record.

spark
09-07-2011, 01:23 AM
:D Glad I'm not the only one! Don't think he 'means' to do that; It seems to just naturally be how he is.

Can't wait for this record though. Studio "amen" sounds amazing.. and You're not alone is totally made for a ( good ) movie soundtrack. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uECtc497lA&feature=related

Ms. Shart O'Nay
09-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Aw, I think he's just a bit...hapless? A well-meaning perfectionist? I might just be blinded because I think he's super cute.

just owls
09-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Land & Sea National Tour - VIP Tickets on Sale!
September 06 2011

The first set of dates national tour dates for Sarah’s Land & Sea tour have now been announced. Currently select cities have VIP ticket packages available to get great seats, have a meet and greet with Sarah before the show and receive an autographed poster with a tour t-shirt.

Visit the Sarah Slean store for VIP Ticket purchases. (http://www.sarahslean.com/store#D128)

The Land & Sea Tour:

November 1, 2011 – London, ON @ Aeolian Hall
November 3, 2011 – Hamilton, ON @ Studio Theatre
November 4, 2011 – Alliston, ON @ Gibson Centre
November 10, 2011 – Winnipeg, MB @ West End Cultural Centre
November 11, 2011 – Regina, SK @ The Exchange
November 15, 2011 – Saskatoon, SK @ Broadway Theatre
November 18, 2011 – Calgary, AB @ University Theatre
November 19, 2011 – Nelson, BC @ The Royal
November 29, 2011 – Ottawa, ON @ NAC – Studio Hall
November 30, 2011 – Ottawa, ON @ NAC – Studio Hall
December 8, 2011 – Montreal, QC @ La Sala Rossa

Additional tour dates are to be added.

talkingtadpole
09-07-2011, 05:07 AM
US dates, plz and thx.

just owls
09-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Someone on Facebook asked about US dates on the post about these, and the reply was:

I will be very happy the day I can announce international shows, none at the moment. Chris, around 30 VIP packages per show. - SarahSlean.com

Pretty sure it will never happen, unless a lot more people here finally catch on to her talent. I'm going to save to see her in Canada next tour. I can't pull the money together this time, but I guess if I ever want to see her live, I'll have to. She's worth it, though.

talkingtadpole
09-07-2011, 06:08 AM
It's a shame. I could see her pulling in a decent sized crowd in the larger cities.

Peter Z
09-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I was hoping to review the album for Glide Magazine, but it hasn't really worked out. They can't build much of a US audience if there is no collaboration with the press, IMO

Peeping Tommi
09-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Aw, I think he's just a bit...hapless? A well-meaning perfectionist? I might just be blinded because I think he's super cute.

You're right about that. I guess I wouldn't mind him in real life and I love seeing how much of a perfectionist he is. It's just that there is too much of him in these videos and not enough Sarah. Maybe that it what irritates me.

Peeping Tommi
09-07-2011, 07:49 AM
:D Glad I'm not the only one! Don't think he 'means' to do that; It seems to just naturally be how he is.

Can't wait for this record though. Studio "amen" sounds amazing.. and You're not alone is totally made for a ( good ) movie soundtrack. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uECtc497lA&feature=related

Holy fuck, that is amazing!

howieD
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Holy fuck, that is amazing!

Truth. wowshivers.

just owls
09-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I was hoping to review the album for Glide Magazine, but it hasn't really worked out. They can't build much of a US audience if there is no collaboration with the press, IMO

It is a bit strange. I wonder if she's just comfortable with the fan-base she has. She doesn't seem overly concerned with bringing in lots of new people. If she is, she's certainly not going about it in the best way.

And that video of You're Not Alone is gorgeous. Thanks for posting it, spark!

Girl Friday
09-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm getting more and more excited for this album. I think I am going to preorder to get the signed score. I just wish there were US shows to go along, I'd give anything to see her.

Jake
09-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Set It Free video!! She looks gorgeous, such a perfect video to accompany the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZYa_0yJeA&feature=youtu.be

Peeping Tommi
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
That's such a beautiful little video and she looks stunning and classy as always. She seems to be really enjoying herself, which is great to see. Thank you for posting, Jake!

Also, check out these beautiful photo's for the new Maclean's Magazine:

http://www.jaimehogge.com/downloads/blog/slean2.jpg

http://www.jaimehogge.com/downloads/blog/slean3.jpg

http://www.jaimehogge.com/downloads/blog/slean4.jpg

http://www.jaimehogge.com/downloads/blog/slean5.jpg

http://www.jaimehogge.com/downloads/blog/slean6.jpg

Spartacus
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Fab video. I love everything I have heard from this album so far. I am so relieved as I hated the Art of Time album.

spark
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
oooooh I don't like a lot of the tracks but a few are gems.. Black Flowers for one. But I am hoping for another Art of Time album as she covered Bjork in the last concert w/ that ensemble, and I AM DYING to hear her version!

just owls
09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Beautiful video and photos!

And the Art of Time Ensemble album was one of my favorite things released that year. I thought it was perfection, especially Lodestar.

Girl Friday
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Those photos! Just gorgeous.

ProdigyBoy
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, don't loose hope on the US.
I saw a post on another forum today where a person in Philly wrote Sarah and she said that she is planning on coming. It's not concrete but it's something. I have found a few more Canadian dates like Toronto's but they will announce them officially pretty soon.

I think those are some of the prettiest photos of Sarah I have ever seen. She looks remarkably young in them too. I linked to the article that goes along with it on littleslean. (sig). She's pretty open in the article mentioning personal struggles that are from the not so distant past.

I think that music video brings the song alive. Hopefully it does well.

Cameron

Girl Friday
09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
She's done shows in the Northeast US in the past, so seeing Philly and NYC pop up would not surprise me. I hold out no hope for any Texas dates.

just owls
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Same for Chicago. I can't see her playing any US dates I could get to, so I might as well save to do a few Canadian ones in a couple of years.

spark
09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
She's played Europe before, as well.. But not in the past 5 YEARS :( ... But before I moved, I lived in Toronto and I recorded quite a few of her live shows. Here is what I think is a really great version of California, from before it was an album track. Note the different (and much better IMO) way she sings the chorus.

I probably didn't choose the best photo to show on Youtube for this track -- for the record, she was playing a real grand piano at the time. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLU0zyi3jbU

ProdigyBoy
09-09-2011, 05:47 AM
She's played Europe before, as well.. But not in the past 5 YEARS :( ... But before I moved, I lived in Toronto and I recorded quite a few of her live shows. Here is what I think is a really great version of California, from before it was an album track. Note the different (and much better IMO) way she sings the chorus.

I probably didn't choose the best photo to show on Youtube for this track -- for the record, she was playing a real grand piano at the time. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLU0zyi3jbU

Awesome to hear alternative versions when the song is raw. That's why I can keep on seeing her live time and time again. I think these are photos from that gig. http://www.ryerson.ca/~dupham/sarahslean020213/

In good faith of the music video's release, here is an MP3 of the first time Sarah played Set it Free to an audience. It was new for this band and she only had the piano, no wurlitzer. Our secret...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nm777h

Seeing her in Texas is hard to imagine unless some how she does something for SXSW.
A full tour archive is on her site. There might be the odd date not included but I pushed the cities into a Google Map. http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=207614637047763358226.00049acbcafa392506167&msa=0&ll=52.05249,-56.162109&spn=45.333849,114.169922

Peeping Tommi
09-09-2011, 08:26 AM
ProdigyBoy, I hope it's okay that I will post this interview (http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/08/sarahs-sea-change/) here as well? It's amazing, and it makes me even more excited for 'Land & Sea' than I already was.

Sarah Slean’s sea change
Slean closes the crisis chapter of her life with an ambitious new double album that soars

Sarah Slean lives for her flourishes. After laying down the vocals for a track called The Cosmic Ballet—an elaborate cut from her upcoming double album Land & Sea—she kicks off her heels and runs over to listen to the playback with a kid-at-Christmas grin. It’s evident that the state-of-the-art studio in Toronto’s east end where she’s working has become Slean’s playground. While it is populated by a 23-piece orchestra and a room filled with middle-aged recording experts, everyone remains silent until Slean’s ear makes a call. Around the three-minute mark—just when the song hits its string-heavy climax—she turns to the pack of engineers futzing about with buttons and knobs and jubilantly says: “Gentlemen, more bells and whistles, please!”

Think this sounds like a scene straight out of a Judy Garland picture? Slean would be delighted by the thought. In fact, much of the 34-year-old Pickering, Ont., native’s inspiration is fuelled by old Hollywood musicals. “If you listen closely to the chords off the soundtracks to those Garland and Hepburn-type movies, you realize the genius at work there,” she says, two months later in a café on the other side of town. “On the surface,” she explains, the songs in films like The Sound of Music and The Wizard of Oz “are grand and whimsical, but underneath them, there is this real intensity. I’m attracted to that sense of mastery.”

Set for a Sept. 27 release, Land & Sea is chock full of the singer’s taste for opulence. “I have dreamed of most of them,” she says of the catalogue of songs from her past six albums, including radio favourites such as Sweet Ones (from her 2002 disc Night Bugs); Mary (from 2004’s Day One) and Get Home (from 2008’s The Baroness). “And I dreamed up most of this new album as well. I just hope the songs come out as vivid as I remember them.”

For Land & Sea, Slean was dreaming so deeply she felt motivated to craft two albums at once. “It’s almost as if two different people were writing two different albums,” she says of the song segregation, noting that the title has nothing to do with where the songs were born geographically. “They just come from two different families.”

Slean’s trek to Land & Sea has admittedly come after a few hard knocks. Although she’s been in the business for more than 13 years and come to terms with the fact that her music will most likely never muster Céline Dion-type sales, Slean has also had to contend with being compared to the other Sarahs in the Can-pop market. “I raged against people saying I sounded like Sarah McLachlan or Sarah Harmer. I was also angry people compared me to Tori Amos. The reason I was angry was I was unsure of who I was. Now I have a sense of certainty of what I can make. There is finally no hesitation.”

Personally, Slean has also had her share of troubled experiences. “The period of 25 to 29 was rough for me,” Slean reveals. “It was a time in my life where I hated myself. I tried writing about it in Shadowlands,” she says, referring to a track from her last studio album, The Baroness, the lyrics of which touch on issues of anorexia and alcohol abuse. “I was being a complete tyrant. I remember moving to Paris to find myself and having a moment of clarity before coming home where I promised to stop beating myself up. I finally realized if I continued the way I was going, I wouldn’t last.”

Closing a chapter on what she jokingly refers to as a “twi-sis” (her emotional crisis in her twenties) in The Baroness, Slean began writing the grand arrangements and heady lyrics found on Land & Sea soon after. Her imagination was given a literary vitamin-B shot from the type of images found in books such as Leo Tolstoy’s Confession, Tom Harpur’s Water Into Wine and Rainer Maria Rilke’s Book of Hours: Love Poems to God. “A lot of Land & Sea came from the amount of reading I’ve done over the past six years,” she says, noting she just finished a degree in philosophy and music at the University of Toronto. “My program had me studying neuroscience, Christian mysticism and Buddhist philosophy, as well as reading works which explore the way religion relates to the brain.”

After finishing her degree, Slean promptly focused on Land & Sea. The tracks seem to have come together at a pivotal time in her life: Slean was getting used to being a married woman. Having wed pop singer Royal Wood (real name John Royal Wood Nicholson) in 2009, she started fighting doubts once again. “When I first got married, I almost had a spiritual meltdown!” Slean says with a chuckle. “I thought, what have I just done? I’ve lost everything! The whole story of who I am is centred around being this individual artist! And now what?”

It wasn’t long before Slean and her 33-year-old husband both realized the value of being in a relationship with a partner who has a similar occupation. “Although we don’t want to be known as a musical couple and we’ve been trying to keep our lives separate in the press, we trust each other’s ears fully,” she says. The comfort level is such that Slean asked her husband to co-produce one of the songs on Land (which she says touches on “our generation’s oversharing obsessions”), called Everybody’s on TV. “It’s gotten to the point where [Royal] and I show each other everything—masks are always off—and that includes romantic songs about other people. It’s uncomfortable, but we have a healthy understanding.”

Slean first recognized Wood’s boyfriend potential during the recording of a song on her previous disc called Looking for Someone. “I invited all these male vocalists to my house because I wanted them as backup voices for the song,” she recalls. “One by one they were coming by and I was wearing pyjamas, zip-up sweater and a ponytail, and then when [Royal] knocked on the door, it was like I saw him for the first time. Not long before this happened, I remember being backstage at the Harbourfront and Royal was playing the same night. I could hear him having a fight with his girlfriend and at the same time I was dealing with an ex who was being a complete tool.”

Another creative turning point for Slean was her parting ways with Warner Music, her record company for a decade. Although she maintains that “the label was supportive and not constraining me creatively,” Slean admits to feeling “a real sense of emancipation” from the separation. “Now,” she says of the change, “my only focus is making what I hear in my head instead of meeting with a label to discuss making it economically happen for them.”

Slean’s choice to “go indie” after agreeing to break it off with Warner and signing on with Toronto’s Pheromone Recordings did not stop her from going bigger with her sound. One of the first things she did after the label split was choose Toronto’s Revolution Recording studios for Sea. The spectacularly outfitted brand-new facility was then filled with a hand-picked troop of players from the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and two extremely different music producers. For Land, Slean sought out Juno-winning rock musician Joel Plaskett to spike the melodies on tracks such as I Am A Light and Girls Hating Girls.

The latter track, which includes the line “30-something can be one big high school,” is Slean’s take on adult girlfriend rivalry. “Why do women insist on competing with each other?” she asks. “Why do they have this tendency to want to tear each other down? Sometimes I feel we have such a tall-poppy syndrome, so I wanted to explore this Lordess of the Flies-type pecking order, which happens with some women in their thirties. That rehashing of their morally underdeveloped days in high school is fascinating.”

For Sea, Slean asked composer Jonathan Goldsmith—known for making soundtracks for films such as Away From Her and Casino Jack—to co-produce the bulk of her tracks, in hopes of capturing a cinematic soundscape. The result of choosing Goldsmith is best heard on Sea’s most poignant track, The One True Love, in which sweeping violins adorn Slean’s unique view on the subject.

“I don’t see [Prince William] and Kate’s wedding as romance, just TV. I wish them every happiness but I didn’t wake up to watch it. My version of romance would be a quote from Joni Mitchell—‘Love is touching souls.’ One True Love is about the partnership I’m in now with [Royal],” she explains. “For either partner, there is a one true love and it’s not the other. Life’s love of itself comes first.”

spark
09-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Ugh, just learned Sarah played two new songs on a real baby grand piano on CBC radio ...... did anyone capture them? I'd love to hear them. :(

Girl Friday
09-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Lovely article. Thank you so much for sharing!

ProdigyBoy
09-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Ugh, just learned Sarah played two new songs on a real baby grand piano on CBC radio ...... did anyone capture them? I'd love to hear them. :(

She played 3 new songs. Wrote a short review and will try upload it soon without album version of Life. I think the same people who enjoy Set it Free will really get a kick out of Life.

Cameron

just owls
09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Making of Society Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lj04xw_Qqg

spark
09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
She played 3 new songs. Wrote a short review and will try upload it soon without album version of Life. I think the same people who enjoy Set it Free will really get a kick out of Life.

Cameron

Oh yay! Thank you so much Cameron !! :D

Peeping Tommi
09-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Watch the Making Of the 'Set If Free' video below!

http://vimeo.com/28900863

blissgurl
09-18-2011, 01:03 AM
^Thanks for posting. Sarah is too cute!!

just owls
09-23-2011, 05:09 AM
A new 15 minute interview with Sarah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fq-7L_P9NE

ProdigyBoy
09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
That's a great interview. You can tell the interviewer really listened to the music. More hope for US dates in it too!

I didn't get around to putting up the CBC show yet, but with the album only days away it's worth just waiting to hear the songs at they were intended. Going to try capture the TV preview happening today on the French CBC channel. I think I did promise some videos from hfront so here are a couple of unlisted videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYpHNbdsms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-QtPZ2F8c

IMO - this will be her best album to date.

Cameron

Callum
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Amazon UK has clips (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Sea/dp/B005P3YLDE)! I am so excited for this album. "You're Not Alone" sounds beautiful.

spark
09-26-2011, 12:52 AM
OOOOOOOh..... finally!!!

First impression ratings....... out of 5

Land

Life 3.5
The Day We Saved the World 3
Set It Free 3
Everybody's On TV 3
Amen 4.25
I Am A Light 2
New Pair of Eyes 3
Girls Hating Girls 3.5
Society Song 3.5

Sea

Cosmic Ballet 3
Everything By The Gallon 2.5 (I'm conflicted by this one. It's my most reviled Slean song ever, for the last DECADE .. but actually the clip sounds like this recording of it may turn me around!)
The Devil & The Dove 3.5
Napoleon 3
Attention Archers 3
You're Not Alone 4.5
The One True Love 3
The Right Words 4
My Eyes & Your Eyes 3.75

I am really excited about this album too. :) My scores actually are kind of low as an average - but I rarely get much satisfaction out of clips. It's the way her songs grow and build to a peak that tends to really excite me (e.g. the bridge and last part of Pilgrim, Drastic Measures' instrumental bridge, So Many Miles ...)

I expect once I hear everything that most scores will go up 0.5 to 1.0 points. :) Can't wait !!!

spark
09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
AHHHHH !!! I've been searching online for the past 2 or 3 weeks for any clips that I could get my hands on.. I just found this !!!

http://www.pheromonerecordings.com/?page_id=677

LONG clips! Of all songs? At least Amen, which I went to first.. GORGEOUS!.....

(edit) ha - looks like it's ONLY amen.... oh well. Very nice :)

Spartacus
09-27-2011, 09:29 AM
I bought the album this morning from Amazon UK, and first impressions are good. 'Land' is what I would describe as pure Slean. Very showy and poppy. 'Sea' will be a grower for me. My first impression is that it sounds very much like other stuff she has done with an orchestra. The standout on first listen is Napoleon.

Good stuff.

spark
09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I bought the album this morning from Amazon UK, and first impressions are good. 'Land' is what I would describe as pure Slean. Very showy and poppy. 'Sea' will be a grower for me. My first impression is that it sounds very much like other stuff she has done with an orchestra. The standout on first listen is Napoleon.

Good stuff.

How did you buy it from Amazon UK? When I search the UK site it only shows that it's available for pre-order - released on 04/10/11. (edit - ahh MP3 downloads are in a separate section. OK ;) ) .......

I'm waiting for my autographed one to arrive... grr.. I wish they'd provide an MP3 download link for those kind of pre-orders but that's asking a lot I guess.

Also - longer clips are now available on iTunes! And the deluxe iTunes version contains instrumentals of "Sea" !

Peeping Tommi
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh my dear Lord... all of the songs sound amazing! Thank you 'spark' for all the research and posting the links to the clips. I am so excited!

spark
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
No problem. :) Me too.

Hey, re: deluxe iTunes - is it supposed to not be available as an album purchase? Seems I would only be able to purchase each track individually ($26.73 ! ) ??

neverwhere
09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
"You're not alone" is just absolutely gorgeous on the album. Also really loving "Amen". I do think it's one of her best efforts to date. It does a good job of blending the best parts of Day One & Baroness. I'd still like her to crank out something more akin to Night Bugs, but I don't think that will ever happen. She's coming to my town for a mere $25, so I think I'm going to have to go. Last time I saw her was in a college bar for $5 and we were about 10 feet away and crammed by the stage!

spark
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Haha neverwhere. I want a repeat of universe. I don't either of us will ever get what we want though ;)

Ok I'm loving this album.

Land

Life 4 (+0.5)
The Day We Saved the World 4 (+0.5)
Set It Free 3 (+/-0)
Everybody's On TV 3.25 (+0.25)
Amen 4.5 (+0.25)
- This would be a 5, but I'm just a LITTLE disappointed at the mixing - because the gospel choir has been mixed out a little bit (e.g. "what are you waiting for" / volume of chorus around the 3 min mark ;) )
I Am A Light 3 (+1)
New Pair of Eyes 3 (+/-0)
Girls Hating Girls 4 (+0.5) "I've seen your kind a thousand times" :D would love to know who she wrote this about lol
Society Song 4 (+0.5)

Amazing disc here. Full of energy and cool rhythm, and nary a 2* or 1* track to be seen!

Sea

Cosmic Ballet 4 (+1) What beautiful instrumental breaks at 1:30 and 2:50! The strings are like the pulse of the universe (I can't believe I just typed that)
Everything By The Gallon 2.75 (+0.25) I won't give it a 3 lol
The Devil & The Dove 3.5 (+/-0) lovely string arrangement!
Napoleon 4 (+1) surprised me! wow, this is really "the score v2" but i'm not sure if it's with more or less chaos! "mother I've fear of madness, cause I heard him call my name. I followed his ghostly finger, and I saw a world in flames"
Attention Archers 3 (+/-0)
You're Not Alone 4.75 [post28][post28][post28] Anthem for the godless? lol -- "going no direction, it is everywhere. Knowing every word, it makes no sound. I was no believer, but I am certain now... ...Certain that we're not alone. A kind of light flows through it all." :)
The One True Love 3.5 (+0.5) Another godless anthem. ;)
The Right Words 4 (+/-0) So nice to hear this song with strings. A beautiful river of sound.
My Eyes & Your Eyes 4 (+0.25) Okay, is this not her most overt love song ever? All aspects of the music are truly beautiful. The lyrics are both imaginative "we are the axis of the world, and it's turning, turning" and cliche, "underneath the stars, and you kiss me" - but I'll let her have that. Seems obvious she's very happy these days. :)

Rating: 4 stars :D

The Markness
09-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Love Napoleon, New Pair of Eyes, Everybody's on TV, Girls Hating Girls, and Society Song (and of course the two we've already heard, Everything By the Gallon and The Right Words). Not really sure about the rest of it, tbh.

Girl Friday
09-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Holy crap, this is amazing. "Sea" just overwhelmed me. So beautiful. I would kill for that instrumental right about now.

spark
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Kari - which one? Beauty Lives? ..... If so I'm shocked! If you mean The Baroness - I can kind of understand. Half of that album is a big miss for me, though I have a lot of the tracks in soundboard live quality which are amazing.

Jake
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Gave this a listen last night and it is definitely gorgeous. The 9 songs on Land are catchy and have elements that I loved about Day One. Sea, however, is absolutely gorgeous start to finish. I almost wish she would've called it "Space" because it I think the title Cosmic Ballet suits the sound of the album perfectly. I'm excited to listen more! It's definitely better than The Baroness, time will tell how it ranks among her others.

just owls
09-28-2011, 07:39 PM
While I do like Land quite a bit, Sea is an absolute stunner with no missteps. Gorgeous and overwhelming in the best way. I'd say Sea will likely be my album of the year, if I can separate them.

Girl Friday
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
While I do like Land quite a bit, Sea is an absolute stunner with no missteps. Gorgeous and overwhelming in the best way. I'd say Sea will likely be my album of the year, if I can separate them.

This. All of it.

Ms. Shart O'Nay
09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Glad to hear people are really keen on "Sea." Listened to "Land" on my commute this morning and...well...I should reserve my judgment until I listen further.

PoorMatty
09-30-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm loving this album! The "Land" disc is wall to wall awesome, catchy feel-goodery and the "Sea" disc is breathtakingly gorgeous. And what an incredible voice Sarah has. Some of the vocals in "Society Song" and "You are Not Alone" are spine-tingling.

ProdigyBoy
10-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Attention Archers sounds like it could have been on The Baroness but might be favourite song from both albums right now. It seems akin to Looking for Someone but the I find the lyrics always draw me in. I'm still enjoying both albums and need to keep on listening.

I'm curious if the advice doled out in some of the songs where for someone specific or even advice she has heard along the way.

Looking forward to the live shows. I don't know if Land and Sea has songs that people will request time after time again but we shall see. Still think it is some of her strongest work.

Cameron

The Seaward
10-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I found this quote re: "Get Home". Found it rather cool. It's my favorite song from The Baroness.

This is the most straightforward narrative I think I’ve ever written. This has happened a few times in my life — these sorts of relationships. I wondered why I was on something of a tape loop in that respect. I had all this anger and bitterness, and I wanted to close this chapter completely. Instead of writing little songs about these individual letdowns or betrayals, I just wanted to put it in one song and wanted it to be over. It was like this song was a charm. The moment I wrote it, it was as if I purged this demon and I knew it would never happen again.

Girl Friday
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Attention Archers and Cosmic Ballet are probably my favourites off Sea, Amen is the best off Land.

I love that quote about Get Home. That hit me hard when it came out, where I was in my life at the time...

Bluebell
10-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I've been listening to Land and Sea quite a lot over the last week. I wanted to wait to comment on it because I wasn't sure what I thought of it at first. I agree with all of you -- "Sea" is really, really gorgeous. Her voice is astounding and I keep getting caught up in the instrumental bits of the songs. I enjoy "Land" enough. I don't think any of it's terrible and some of it is gold ("Society Song" is the standout, IMO) but I'm not huge on Joel Plaskett's production. It's too...indie-lite sounding in parts, or something. And there are cheese guitars.

Girl Friday
10-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Some of Land is really cheesy pop to me, there are a few songs that stand out, but over all I just find it meh. It is good to have on in the background.

PoorMatty
10-07-2011, 04:36 AM
Land is super guilty pleasure-ish, but I still think it's fun, especially to play loudly in the car. Still loving Sea, too. "The One True Love" is not a favorite, but the rest is great. The vocals in the chorus of "The Devil & The Dove" give me goosebumps. Does anybody else hear some Joni Mitchell influence in the vocal melody of "My Eyes & Your Eyes"?

StarStealer
10-07-2011, 04:54 AM
I got down with my pals Eliot and Duncan back in the day, but I have not really been taken by Sarah's output since then. I am excited to check out this album, though!

Peeping Tommi
10-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I am really impressed with 'Land & Sea'! I do agree that 'Land' is overly poppy at times, but I think Sarah is really good at writing incredible pop music ('Sweet Ones', hello!) and I really enjoy songs such as 'Set It Free', 'Amen', 'New Pair Of Eyes' and 'Society Song'. They need to be played loud in the car on a warm, sunny day. The production, though, is sometimes a bit flat and not as playful as on 'Nightbugs' and 'Day One'. Still, I think it's a huge step-up from 'The Baroness'.

'Sea' is something else, though. Probably my favorite record of the year together with 'Night Of Hunters'. There is not one single note on 'Sea' that I don't like, and the more you listen to it, the more is there to discover. 'Cosmic Ballet' is such a masterpiece, and so are 'Napoleon', 'The One True Love' and 'The Devil & The Dove'. I love the new versions of 'Everything By The Gallon' and 'The Right Words' (one of my favorite Sarah Slean songs ever). But I think I've got the most love for 'Attention Archers', just like ProdigyBoy. It's perhaps the most simple song on the entire record and the lyrics aren't even that special, but there is something about that song that hits me hard. It's just beautiful and moving.

Girl Friday
10-08-2011, 02:53 AM
In listening this week, I realized I didn't care for Everything by the Gallon on Beauty Lives, but I just adore it on Sea.

spark
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I've been listening to Land and Sea quite a lot over the last week. I wanted to wait to comment on it because I wasn't sure what I thought of it at first. I agree with all of you -- "Sea" is really, really gorgeous. Her voice is astounding and I keep getting caught up in the instrumental bits of the songs. I enjoy "Land" enough. I don't think any of it's terrible and some of it is gold ("Society Song" is the standout, IMO) but I'm not huge on Joel Plaskett's production. It's too...indie-lite sounding in parts, or something. And there are cheese guitars.

I agree re: the production. And "Land" truly suffers from the whole "loudness wars" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war ) which is a real shame IMO. But I can get over that .. I have to, otherwise 95% of music would be crossed off my list. lol

Sea's production is much better.

ebby
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm loving the new record - I've only listened to disc 1 so far, and intend to listen to the second disc this afternoon.

Wonderful stuff.

just owls
10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
The Land disc has really grown on me over the last week, especially Life and Amen. I'm really loving it all, and now I am oddly enjoying Land more than Sea, though they're such completely different beasts.

Jonathan
10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Soooo she's coming to my city in early December. Is she worth seeing live, considering I'm not an abusive fan?

just owls
10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I've never seen her live, but I have several soundboard bootlegs and I say yes! I would go in a heartbeat.

Peeping Tommi
10-11-2011, 07:50 AM
I saw her at Joe's Pub, and while I found her personality kind of obnoxious, she is very good live.

Ha, why is that?

I would love to see her live, but she never tours Europe anymore. Her albums aren't even released here in The Netherlands. It's a shame, since she's very talented.

Peeping Tommi
10-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Soooo she's coming to my city in early December. Is she worth seeing live, considering I'm not an abusive fan?

GO!

I'd love to see her live, but I have to fly to Canada to see her, which is a bit expensive.
If you want to get a good impression of her she sounds live, get 'Orphan Music'. It's mainly live and it's amazing!

ebby
10-11-2011, 09:41 AM
It's wonderfully like two different albums - so this morning I was more in the mood for Land than Sea, but last night I was definitely in the mood for Sea more than Land.

Life and Amen are both wonderful standouts on that first disc.

ProdigyBoy
10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
GO!

I'd love to see her live, but I have to fly to Canada to see her, which is a bit expensive.
If you want to get a good impression of her she sounds live, get 'Orphan Music'. It's mainly live and it's amazing!

I really enjoy Orphan Music. One of my fav parts is when she takes a request from the audience and they call for "The Score" and she jumps right into it. Not a common request.

All of Sarah's albums are available in the NL iTunes right?

I haven't noted a loudness issue. Any tracks in which it more notable on?

Peeping Tommi
10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
I really enjoy Orphan Music. One of my fav parts is when she takes a request from the audience and they call for "The Score" and she jumps right into it. Not a common request.

Yes, that's amazing. And what a wonderful version of the song!

All of Sarah's albums are available in the NL iTunes right?

Yes, they are. But unfortunately, the physical copies aren't available in the recordstores here. Luckily she has an amazing webshop so I am able to get her stuff. I'm really enjoying my signed copy of 'Land & Sea', the signed score and the two lithographs!

ebby
10-17-2011, 11:22 AM
The second disc of the latest record is a really beautiful piece of work.

beanstew
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
I've never knowingly heard any Sarah Slean but a friend on twitter whose opinion on music I trust 100% has advised me to check out her latest when I asked for recommendations of Canadian music to pick up when I order the new Jorane album from amazon.ca. I think I will. Anything else I should be considering?

talkingtadpole
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Night Bugs, for sure! I think it's her best.

ebby
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Night Bugs, absolutely. It's a really wonderful record.

beanstew
10-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks talkingtadpole and ebby. I'll check it out. :)

spark
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Night Bugs is ok, but it's a little too slick for my taste. If you like live music generally more than album material then I really suggest you check our Orphan Music. :)

beanstew
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks spark. I'll check that one out too. :)

Jake
10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
It's a tough one, but it's definitely between Night Bugs and Orphan Music for me. I adore Night Bugs start to finish, and while it may be a little slick, it's also her most cohesive and shows off her strengths. It's also accessible, which is never a bad thing when trying to get into a new artist.

Orphan Music is absolutely gorgeous, though. In a way, it'd be like starting with the live disc of Tori's TVAB; the studio versions are awesome, but some of the live versions blow them out of the water. This is the case with the Oprhan Music versions of Mary and Somebody's Arms for example.

You can't go wrong with Sarah, in general. I think some would say you should run away from The Baroness, but even that has highlights.

beanstew
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks. :)

I'm currently on Land and Sea. Loving what I'm hearing so far.

Peeping Tommi
10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
CBC Radio 2 posted their great interview with Sarah Slean on their website, as well as the three breathtaking performances of 'The Right Words', 'Napoleon' and 'Cosmic Ballet'. You won't believe your ears!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/shift/2011/10/27/sarah-slean-takes-a-land-and-sea-voyage-on-shift/

neverwhere
11-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Just back from the tour opener - it was a great show! Tiny little venue and she was very chatty, got to meet her afterwards and she signed my copy of beauty lives - she was so sweet!

Set List:
Life
Everybody's on TV
Set It Free
I am a Light
Duncan
Notes from the Underground
The Day We Saved the World

-Intermission-

Everything by the Gallon
Bside? Honestly, I blanked on this one - she told a story about writing this song when she was in her early 20's and it was about kissing a stranger on a balcony in Paris.
New Pair of Eyes
Girls Hating Girls
Euphoria
Get Home
Sweet Ones
Society Song
Sound of Water

Encore:
Attention Archers
Amen

Very Land & Sea and Baroness heavy, but a great concert none the less. for the $20-$25, I definitely recommend seeing her!

beanstew
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Glad you had a great gig. I hope she comes to the UK!

ProdigyBoy
11-03-2011, 03:03 AM
neverwhere, thanks for posting the set list. Hope you don't mind if I re-post it to littleslean. I think the song you blanked on is "My Eyes & Your Eyes based on the intro story. Her latest and final making of video describes that song in similar fashion. That's sort of the set list I pictured for these shows. I can see Lucky Me being swapped with Sweet Ones some nights and The Right Words finding a way in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9hV_yDb8ew

I'm seeing Sarah Friday (solo show) and Saturday. I might break and see her tomorrow but I think it might be a bit too much for me. Lots of press the last couple of days but no crazy reveals (other then talk about family planning). This show at the Winter Garden is a real special venue. I have never known an artist to play a single concert there like she is. Stars filmed a recent music video there (featuring a naked girl dancing about the place)

neverwhere
11-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Prodigy boy: you're right! Now I feel silly!

ProdigyBoy
11-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I saw Sarah last night. She was a bit sick and was fighting through the second half. It was just her and Karen playing guitar and work an iPad drum sample.

Unorder Setlist.

Life
Everybody's on TV
Notes from The Underground
I am a Light
The Day We Saved the World
Attention Archers
Society Song

Everything By The Gallon
Please Be Good to Me
Girls hating Girls
Duncan
Get Home
New Pair of Eyes
Euphoria
Set it Free
Looking for Someone

Parasol

Stand outs where Society Song in which Karen played piano and Sarah sang. I am a Light was my fave. Please be Good to Me was unique as both Sarah normally doesn't have anyone that can sing it with her.

Winter Garden tonight...

ebby
12-14-2011, 10:01 PM
This was possibly already posted earlier in the thread, but it's such a lovely song, and a gorgeous performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_d_ec4hLY

ProdigyBoy
04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Heads up... Sarah's going to be in Paris at the end of May and has a concert in Brussels. Her first international gigs in EU since 06. For those in Toronto she's playing a free show opening with a songwriters tribute to Rufus prior to him taking the stage.

At the start of April she played with a Symphony. Video/audio by the CBC should be going online. I have been doing less posting on littleslean as everything has pretty much shifted to her facebook/twitter channels.

ebby
06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
It's Sarah Slean's birthday today!

http://youtu.be/1TZYa_0yJeA

Michael Michael
06-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Hey, Sarah Slean has a new video, and it's filmed in and features my homeland . . . beautiful mixture. Sarah has always had a soft spot for Newfoundland!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7GvIxAiDg&feature=player_embedded

ebby
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
^ Nice! Newfoundland looks great in that video. Some really gorgeous shots.

According to what she says on twitter, she's endeavouring to have a video for every track on Land & Sea!

Michael Michael
06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I saw that on Twitter as well! I also hadn't read the video description on youtube:

This beautiful track is from the Sea collection of Sarah's latest double album Land & Sea, and features the stunning landscape and people of Pouch Cove, Newfoundland. It was here, in a little shack by the sea with a grand piano, a bed, a table, chair and kettle (little else), Sarah completed composing the songs and four orchestral scores for this incredible collection. "...one of the most inspiring places on Earth.... It's impossible to be distracted from the powerful presence of Life itself here - the rugged land, the ever-changing weather, the magnificent, powerful ocean...it's a place to ponder the vast expanse of time before and beyond us, to ponder the wondrous marvel of being."

Peeping Tommi
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
What a beautiful video for an even more beautiful song. 'Sea' really is one of the best things Sarah has ever done. It's good to see all the love for her here!

After years and years of being a massive fan, I finally got the change to see Sarah perform at the beginning of this month in Brussels. Eventhough she was just the supporting act, she played for more than forty minutes and the setlist was incredible: 'Lucky Me', 'Duncan', 'The Right Words', 'California', 'The Lonely Side Of The Moon', 'Pilgrim', 'Set It Free' and 'My Eyes & Your Eyes'. It was an experience I will never ever forget.

I was also lucky enough to catch Sarah in a park in Brussels a few hours before the show. She was very kind, we chatted a bit and signed my cd's. She seemed very surprised I was coming "all the way" from Holland to see her. She didn't expect any fans I believe, since she's not very well known here. Not at all, actually. After the show we talked some more and she is really a great, smart and beautiful person in every way.

Good to see all the love for her and her work here. She truly deserves it!

Michael Michael
06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
That sounds like a fantastic concert experience, and a nice set-list (heavy on older songs, it seems; she was being pushed in Europe seven or eight years ago, so maybe she figures, if anyone knows her, they know Nightbugs and Day One material?) I saw her on her Day One tour, and she was just magnetic.

ProdigyBoy
06-25-2012, 03:58 PM
^Peeping Tomi, That made me say 'awwwwwww.'

She was filming a new music video earlier this week (Society Song). I love the way the snow flakes fall in slow motion in this video. (I have no clue if it's real or not). The video has given this song a new life for me. Google image search of Pouch Cove shows how remarkable of place it is. I love the shot of the ice berg.

I really would like to see a treatment to Attention Archers. Visuals always dance through my head when I hear that one.

I was fortunate enough to see Sarah live the last 2 weekends. I posted videos of her covering Rufus Wainwright that I shot in his thread.

Links http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCzaVdwJws and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoRqEhr2mbA

I had given littleslean a pretty much a break as the news was all going up on her page and FB ... but I'm going to try keep it updating. The house concert setlist that she played the other day looks amazing. Hopefully eveyone here can see the video some day.

Cam

Peeping Tommi
06-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Thank you, ProdigyBoy! It really was an amazing experience. I might never ever see her again, since it seems she (or het record company) mainly focusses on Canada. Still, I hope she will have her big European breakthough one day. It must happen, since she has so much talent.

Sarah Slean covering Rufus Wainwright? You can't go wrong there! Those two video's you've posted are incredible. And good to hear you're updating 'littleslean' again, it used to be my source for all the latest Sarah Slean news. Keep up the good work!

Now, to end my post, here is an incredible live version of 'Amen' for all of you to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-jKsleZpxc

spark
06-27-2012, 12:33 AM
aha! I love it! Thanks Tommi. I've been wanting to see a good live version of that song. :D

Peeping Tommi
07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Here is a beautiful live version of 'Napoleon':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQtaPFS8Wgc

Peeping Tommi
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Check out this great new interview with Sarah in which she answers some interesting question from people on Twitter. I love the explanation of 'Lucky Me'.

Sarah Slean answers your Twitter questions (http://www.upmagazine.com/story/article/sarah-slean-answers-your-twitter-questions)

Peeping Tommi
08-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Sarah's new video for 'Society Song' can be watched here (http://www.muchmusic.com/music/playlist/cid/736227/pid/31654/sarah-slean-society-song)! For some, though, it might not work. The video will be posted on YouTube soon as well.

Peeping Tommi
08-17-2012, 09:12 AM
And here it is, for all of you to see!

http://youtu.be/Q7p0TQeRTw4

Bloody Grace
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Aw I love this song!

Peeping Tommi
08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Aw I love this song!

Same here, it's so much fun! And the video is lovely as well.

spark
01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Saw her in Paris on the weekend, with a string quartet .. holy crap .. I really loved it. I recorded the whole set, but here's just a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBB3J83r4-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ksY55Dd8Os

spark
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
I've uploaded all of the audio from the concert. I recorded it using an H4n in 48,000kHz 24-bit, and it came out pretty good I think ! Particularly on Life, Parasol, and Sound of Water.

Here it is in FLAC:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7mbe4OWY6LCU285N3ZqTEE5a1U/edit?usp=sharing

and MP3 320:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7mbe4OWY6LCVEYxal9aY255UWc/edit?usp=sharing

You can download the songs individually. All songs were with the quartet, except Blue Parade. The complete setlist:

California
Eliot
Duncan
The Right Words
Everything by the Gallon
Lucky Me
Parasol
Cosmic Ballet
The Rose
Life
Pilgrim

Encore 1
My Eyes and Your Eyes
Sound of Water

Encore 2
Blue Parade

beanstew
02-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice one, thanks spark. I'll grab the FLACs. :)

Tulip In A Cup
02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
This is bitchin' thanks Sparky!!!! [woot][haha][dance]

Jake
02-02-2013, 07:02 PM
^Thank you so much for posting! Downloading now!

talkingtadpole
02-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks so much! I was just admiring your videos. :)

just owls
02-03-2013, 06:55 PM
That's a beautiful show. Thanks for sharing the recording!

Peeping Tommi
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
On Saturday September 21st, Sarah Slean will perform at the amazing theatre De Roode Bioscoop in Amsterdam! I suggest all Dutch fans and all those who are interested to come and watch her play in this very intimate setting. Tickets are only 12 euro's and are available at the link below. The opening act will be Canadian singer-songwriter Ian Kelly. Please do come!

http://www.roodebioscoop.nl/Losse-programmas/107-Sarah-Slean

just owls
04-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Tommi just shared this lively performance of Society Song with me from back in March. I've never really been a fan of this song, but I love how much fun she's having with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWsbeleDOMs

I have always liked Life however, and I think this is a wonderful performance of it! She looks absolutely beautiful in that cobalt dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738NZU1Eznc

yoshi
04-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm really liking Land & Sea lately. Such a great album!

What's the deal with Night Bugs? It's not on iTunes and on Amazon you can only get imports???

Jake
04-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Beautiful performances. I'm so ready for a new Sarah record.

The Seaward
04-10-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm really liking Land & Sea lately. Such a great album!

What's the deal with Night Bugs? It's not on iTunes and on Amazon you can only get imports???

I know. :'( I lost my cd years ago and had a very good download on my old computer, which is now dead. I have scoured high and low for this amazing album, but can't justify paying 25 bucks for an import. (I'm rill poor.)

Peeping Tommi
10-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Great news for all Passioneers posted on Sarah's website:

Sarah is working on music, writing and visual art for the upcoming – well, what shall we call it? – offering?
It certainly won’t just be 'an album' – snore.

[party]

blissgurl
08-20-2016, 01:34 AM
According to Sarah's twitter she seems to be working on a new album - or something of the sort - and is in the studio and made reference to it coming out in March so yay!

just owls
11-23-2016, 05:06 PM
The new album is almost ready! Sarah's running a Pledge campaign for it right now (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/sarahslean?referrer=artist232425&utm_campaign=project14488&utm_medium=activity). The new album is titled Metaphysics.

The Seaward
02-20-2017, 06:19 AM
First single from Metaphysics, due April 7!!! The track is called "Sarah" and it's gorgeous, classic Sarah Slean. Tasty horns and strings, great singing, an all around great tune. It recalls the Day One era, to my ears.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VoxghrcBuLk

Tracklist!

Metaphysics:

1. Perfect Sky
2. Every Rhythm is the Beat
3. The Dark
4. Sarah
5. Loved Well
6. A Thousand Butterflies
7. Holy Ground
8. Not In Vain
9. The Gypsy
10. Nothing But the Light

Beelust
02-22-2017, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxghrcBuLk

Thanks! I have not really been into Sarah since Day One. I love this song though! I am surprised more Toriphiles are not into her...

The Seaward
02-22-2017, 01:35 AM
Right? She wonderfully talented. The new song is totally a return to form. I can't wait for the new album!!

Beelust
02-22-2017, 02:21 AM
I have seen her live a few times and she is up there with Tori, Bjork & PJ as my favourite concerts in terms of passion and vocals. I wish her well wish this new album. Just found Society Song that I missed from the last album. Amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7p0TQeRTw4

I totally missed the Land & Sea album. Sounds lovely. Thank you!

Wilderness and Little London Night remain my favourite from Orphan Music. I can listen to them on repeat forever. I remember hearing Wilderness live (I think she was tipsy) at the Rivoli in Toronto before Day One was released and was disappointed it was not included on the album. Incredible concert...

silver
02-24-2017, 12:57 AM
I pre-ordered the album through PledgeMusic--can't wait to hear it. :)

spark
02-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Wilderness and Little London Night remain my favourite from Orphan Music. I can listen to them on repeat forever. I remember hearing Wilderness live (I think she was tipsy) at the Rivoli in Toronto before Day One was released and was disappointed it was not included on the album. Incredible concert...

Wow ... I was at that same concert. So weird. :) Yes I also think she was a bit tipsy ..lol.. I like those two songs on Orphan Music but there was something special about the way they were performed at that concert. I have recordings but one of my mics was busted that night so it all sounds a bit naff :(

The Markness
02-25-2017, 02:16 PM
I like the song--LOVE the melody in the chorus, and the STRINGS!--but the cheap-sounding drums annoy me. >.<

Beelust
02-25-2017, 03:04 PM
^ Mark Hawley may have been involved in the project ;)

waitressboy
02-25-2017, 05:42 PM
I love love LOVE Land & Sea. I think she won't ever do something better than that album, it's a masterpiece.

spark
02-26-2017, 12:00 AM
I like the song--LOVE the melody in the chorus, and the STRINGS!--but the cheap-sounding drums annoy me. >.<

Ahh. I 100% agree. I like the melody .. the lyrics are okay .. but those drums ruin the song. However I tend not to like her lead singles (Get Home, Sweet Ones, Set It Free) so I still have high hopes for the rest of the album.

The Seaward
02-26-2017, 09:46 PM
I love love LOVE Land & Sea. I think she won't ever do something better than that album, it's a masterpiece.

Land & Sea has a few solid gems but is overlong and has too much filler. It would've made a knockout single disc.

Night Bugs and Day One are Sarah Slean at the hight of her powers. I'm happy to see that Metaphysics will only be a 10 song affair. She's had many years since Land & Sea to put this one together and I have high hopes for it. Personally, I don't have any problem with the drums on "Sarah". It's a solid single and it's a joy to hear her voice again. It bodes well.

silver
02-27-2017, 02:20 AM
Cosmic Ballet still gives me chills. Usually with other songs that kind of feeling wears off after repeated plays, but the song feels magical every time I listen to it.
I only wish I could purchase the instrumental album on iTunes so I can have another version of it--sadly, I'm not in Canada!

ProdigyBoy
02-27-2017, 04:48 AM
Wow ... I was at that same concert. So weird. :) Yes I also think she was a bit tipsy ..lol.. I like those two songs on Orphan Music but there was something special about the way they were performed at that concert. I have recordings but one of my mics was busted that night so it all sounds a bit naff :(

I was there too and I guess I owe credit to you for the recording. I have opened my vault to Sarah for upcoming Pledge updates. :)

Tori fans have always been great supporters of Sarah.

Here is a song that didn't make the new album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyc-6MVzTAs

spark
03-01-2017, 10:57 PM
I was there too and I guess I owe credit to you for the recording. I have opened my vault to Sarah for upcoming Pledge updates. :)

Oh, you're Cameron! (I'm Ian, as I guess you know now) Hi again Cameron :) lol .. yes I saw in one of her posts something about more oldies to come .. and that bootleg video is yours isn't it. :) the gems you must be hiding ;)

If you or anyone has Sarah singing The Score at the Junos 95 years ago I'd love to have that .. or the full Neighbors Dog show .. *wistful sigh*

spark
03-01-2017, 11:15 PM
So my memory failed me .. I just went to listen to the Rivoli show - I swore both Wilderness and LLN were played, but as Beelust's post details, only Wilderness was played at that time. Whoops!

I haven't listened to this stuff in years.......... takes me back.. can't believe it's been FIFTEEN YEARS practically. omg i'm old.

Someone else messaged me asking to hear this so I've uploaded it to Google Drive along with these, as a bit of a rarity sampler:

I Want To Be Brave - 01-Oct-2001 (best recording I've ever heard of it)
California - 09-Feb-2003 (possibly the debut of California. She sings the chorus a little differently [which I prefer :) ] )
Little London Night - 22-Nov-2001
Wilderness 17-Dec-2003
Woodstock (Joni Mitchell cover) - 12-Apr-2003

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5_Zl8JW7ApwWVNmRVhpUG12U3M

The Seaward
03-10-2017, 06:06 PM
We have the clits!!!! "The Gypsy" is a standout for me but they all sound gorgeous. This is gonna be a solid release.

https://us.7digital.com/artist/sarah-slean/release/metaphysics-6242255?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

The Markness
03-10-2017, 06:13 PM
I re-listened to Day One and Night Bugs this morning while cleaning the house. Goddamn those records are good. I like chunks of songs from the records that came after but as complete works, I don't think any of them hold a candle to the earlier stuff.

waitressboy
03-10-2017, 07:29 PM
I'm not convinced by the way the drums sound. Maybe it's because the clips are not great quality, but all the percussion sounds artificial. Maybe that's the reason why "The gypsy" and "1000 butterflies" are the ones that Make me really excited.
And there's not a "funny song" a la "Sweet ones" or "Lucky me". I enjoy a lot the Funny Sarah.

The Seaward
03-10-2017, 08:44 PM
I'm not having any issues with the drums. The overall sound is rather lush and sumptuous and the melodies are strong. I've never completely fallen in love with Land & Sea because of the overall length, the varying degrees of successful songwriting, and the antiseptic, glossy sound. Metaphysics sounds a bit dialed back, to me. And that's welcomed. Drum issues are going unnoticed to my ears, unlike Tori's artifical drums on UG and bottom of the barrel guitar work for the last decade plus.

Jake
03-10-2017, 11:23 PM
This definitely sounds fuller compared to the past few records. Not quite as dynamic as Night Bugs or Day One, which I definitely agree are her best still, but it retains the gorgeous strings and poetry.

ProdigyBoy
03-31-2017, 02:12 AM
The whole album can be streamed on CBC. The album has different producers on it so you are going to hear different styles. The more I listen, the more I like. Think The Dark is my fave.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/first-plays/241/sarah-slean-metaphysics

spark
04-01-2017, 02:17 AM
I love Dark, and Gypsy .................hmm

silver
04-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Only listening to the album now, but I already love One Who Adores You. She has such a great voice!

The Seaward
04-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Finally giving Metaphysics a proper listen and it's really gorgeous. Imo, this is easily her best work since Day One and sounds like it could've followed that album. I like that it's only 10 tracks and perfectly balanced between upbeat and more ballady songs. There doesn't seem to be any filler here, which has been a problem plaguing every release since Day One.

"The Dark" is my current favorite. Those strings are just out of this world. When the piano and other instruments start to emerge it all blooms into a gorgeously compelling piece.

The whole album is tight and obviously a labor of love. You can tell that she's put a lot of work into this album and the results are quite satisfying. It's sad to me that there is basically zero media campaign for this release, and even my usual online resources have been sleeping on it. That's a shame, because this is one of her strongest releases.

Nick
04-22-2017, 01:41 PM
I love PledgeMusic, but I feel like it really takes the wind out of the sails when it comes time to do promo for the final product. The release date is so random (digital download ASAP, hard copies shipped soon after, then maybe weeks or months before it's available through regular retailers). It becomes hard to tell when the album is really "out", and by the time it's in stores the real fans have already been listening to it for a while. Not to mention the artist has already put a ton of promo/effort up front just into advertising the pre-order campaign. Album release through PledgeMusic always seems to be a bit of an anti-climax when you've been following the whole process so closely.

CC
05-13-2017, 07:10 PM
I really love her new album - I am not such a big fan in general, but I love her first EP "Universe" and the Baroness-CDs.
She is an artist I turn to in times of relationship breakups and acute heartbreak.
"Sarah" as the lead single now is so wonderfully done and uplifting.
Here is a little video on how to play the chords to that song [piano] : https://www.facebook.com/CBCMusic/videos/1428836107173180/

Somebody posted this on one of the Tori threads: http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18518/my-playlist-with-sarah-slean
Sarah picked 10 songs and artist she particularily likes and gives some explanation why.

Bloody Grace
05-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Metaphysics is really gorgeous! My favourite record so far is The Baroness Redecorates, but this one is so good! I'm glad I've bought the signed copy :D

Volta
05-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Someone posted a Sarah Slean list of songs for Tori fans.
Can someone re-post that list here or their own list if it tickles your fancy? I'm pretty sure I've never heard a single song and would like to know where to start.

spark
05-22-2017, 12:04 AM
I Want To Be Brave
Pilgrim
California
Sound of Water
Parasol
Eliot
Angel
Amen
Blue Parade
Dress Rehearsal Rag (Leonard Cohen cover)

Nick
08-01-2017, 10:48 PM
I finally decided to sit down with the new one, and wow! Sarah's been on my radar since the @forumz days or before - I definitely got a bunch of tracks from Napster back in the day! - and I've always loved individual songs (Angel and Sweet Ones were my favorites). But for some reason this whole album is working for me in a way the older ones didn't. Particularly fond of Every Rhythm Is The Beat, The Dark, The Gypsy and Sarah). I'm going to have to give The Baroness and Land And Sea another listen - I'm worried I might have given them short shrift now.