PDA

View Full Version : The big Unforumzed TIME TRAVEL thread.

Pete!
07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
COME WITH US NOW ON A JOURNEY THROUGH TIME AND SPACE.

I'm still of the opinion that the DeLorean is an awesome manner of time travel. I mean, yeah, the TARDIS is amazing, and you'll always look pretty suave stepping out of a police box with your bowtie on, but blasting out of the ether at 88mph, knowing you've left a pair of flaming tracks somewhere in time behind (or in front of) you, that's a winner.

Of course, there's also the question of what is the more awesome '80s sci-fi automobile; Doc Brown's time machine or the Ectomobile? I reckon if you could install a Flux Capacitor in Ecto-1, you'd give me a wealth of time-travellin', ghostbustin' boners and I wouldn't know whether to shit protons or plutonium. But I think you'd struggle to get the old Caddy up to 88.

But the TARDIS has a library. And a swimming pool. In the library. Plus I would cuddle Eleven every day.

If I could travel in time, obviously I'd visit the great ancient civilizations, and I'd love to sneak around the intimidating architecture of the Third Reich and maybe punch a Nazi or two. But also I would travel forward in time for the funerals of Peter Mandelson, Anthony Blair and David cunting Cameron. I would have a colourful balloon and a big smile on my face.

fox in socks
07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
i would like to travel ahead in time, post the "second coming of jesus" and hopefully live in a semi-utopia when all the stupid people have left with jesus and the intelligent have been left behind. and i would like to do this travelling in a pinto along with frieda pinto and a pinto horse.

Whappo
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
If I had a TARDIS its chameleon circuit would permanent be set to 'closet' in order to maximise the potential for jokes about a peculiar and queer man emerging from a closet throughout space and time.

Ooh, or it would be set to Chevy Impala. It would do that bouncy suspension thing like in a hip hop video whenever it was fading away.

I would spend a considerable amount of time trapping people I didn't like in other universes, at first making them believe that I was a good time-traveling man who was up for fun times and world-saving, only to turn on them McCoy style and reveal that I'd been playing them from the get-go. TIMEY WIMEY CUNT PUNT.

Frangipani
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
holy balls, now thats a poll. woot updated vb.

I knew a dude who had a DeLorean. If I could go back in time and never meet him that would be swell.

Pete!
07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
^ If you could take his DeLorean to go back in time never to meet him, that'd be a great paradox. Or a silly one. Or both, or neither, depending on which corner of the multiverse you've decided to live in.

Kari
07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
My TARDIS would be set to a time where I could invest all of my money in the IPO of Apple.

other pete
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
http://www.walkingtaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/George-1.jpg

There is only one style in which to be seen exploring the fourth dimension, my good men. And that is full, resplendant Edwardiana. Woven into the silken fabric of this burgundy dressing gown is the Rassilon Imprimatur, which ensures that at exactly 88mpt* the very barriers of reality may be breached. I now plan to visit terrifying future in which humanity has evolved in to two seperate species - one a beautfully well spoken race descended entirely from BBC Radio 4 continuity announcers, while their former sibilngs have become nothing but wretched shambling offcuts, seeded from the like of Kerry Catona and similar forms of grist and mulch which coagulates at the foetid, muddy bottom of humanity's gene pool.

* = minutes past teatime

Maeve
07-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd give anything to be able to be aboard a klingon bird of prey! That's my choice!
And I'd go forward to 2374 to beam aboard the Enterprise E!

Because, obviously, there'll be an Enterprise E. You can't avoid your Star Trek fate. U_U

Churumbela
07-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't want any time travel vehicle which I may or may not have to fix with chewing gum, so I'm going to have to go with the Bird of Prey. Also, I'd imagine there'd be lots of wrasslin' and meaningfully angry looks on a Klingon ship, and that just sounds like a good time to me.

beanstew
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
The DeLorean clearly has the most style by far and you might even find a bag of coke under the seat to liven up any party whenever you end up. :D

jeth
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
TARDIS. It's about time AND space travel. The DeLorean cannot, and will not, ever go to the moon.

Maeve
07-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Also, I'd imagine there'd be lots of wrasslin' and meaningfully angry looks on a Klingon ship, and that just sounds like a good time to me.

Klingons [post28][post28][post28][post28]

Pete!
07-05-2010, 04:41 PM
TARDIS. It's about time AND space travel. The DeLorean cannot, and will not, ever go to the moon.

Pfft, that's what you reckon. The Doc already added one flight mod, I reckon you could take it a bit further into the future and fit it for space.

Or I could just get a TARDIS with a working chameleon circuit and disguise it as a DeLorean. And then I win.

jeth
07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
If you could do that, I will take back my statement!

Lágnætti
07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
TARDIS. I'm sick of (time)travelling light.

I'd have a go at Skynet but I fear commanding perfect strangers to GIVE ME YOUR CLOTHES, never mind their boots or their motorcycle, would lead to the kind of wacky high jinks that are less fun in reality than in fantasy, which would just make me cross. However, I'd reconsider if I could download myself into a T-888 for the duration and travel across time doing deadpan one-liners and punching politicans in the face.

toriMODE
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
DeLorean, can't deny the power of the flux capacitor!

ebby
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
The problem with the Skynet option is that you've very little control over what you get to wear afterwards, and you kinda get stuck in one outfit, which completely sucks balls.

The TARDIS has a whole wardrobe of awesome to choose from. And a swimming pool. And a library. And sometimes it lands you where you actually wanted to go.

The DeLorean is kinda sexy in an 80's tastic kinda way, but it's a bit pokey and I just keep wondering if a roof rack would just make everything a million kinds of wrong.

So, I think the TARDIS wins for me, out of the ones I'd be interested in.

Pete!
07-05-2010, 08:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmRUu1Acho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8PlMbc5hE

ebby
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
eighty eight miles per hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfnAb11wKQc

Pete!
07-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Brian
07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
That Doc Brown and his "you're not thinking fourth-dimensionally!" I'm not thinking fourth dimensionally? We're rotating at 850mph, orbiting at 67,000mph a sun that is moving at 568,000mph in a galaxy moving 684,000mph, and he thinks I'm not thinking fourth dimensionally? He can materialize in deep space by himself, thanks.

devnull
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I would use a TARDIS at first to skip to the time when the other time machines were invented and incorporate their technologies as I went along, eventually creating a time machine that is pop-culturally and scientifically perfect.

Also. ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS

Pete!
07-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Brian wins geekiest post in a very geeky thread.

Heather, I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.

devnull
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Brian wins geekiest post in a very geeky thread.

Heather, I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.

Easily solved. Use Tardis to get to 1985, find pissed off Libyans and steal their plutonium, then -- here's the key -- store it in the Tardis for trips to pre-nuclear past.

beanstew
07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I need this t-shirt.

http://6dollarshirts.com/images/P/Flux-Capacitor-1.21-Gigawatts-T-SHIRT-11140.jpg (http://6dollarshirts.com/t-shirts/Flux-Capacitor-121-Gigawatts-p-11140.html)

Scottish Mike
07-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I want the USS Relativity (Voyager!) although I'd get totally confused with Stardates and probably cause some terrible temporal paradox somewhere. Or a TARDIS.

Maeve
07-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I want the USS Relativity (Voyager!) although I'd get totally confused with Stardates and probably cause some terrible temporal paradox somewhere. Or a TARDIS.

Are you a deassimilated borg? If not you know you'll be killed by timetravel sickness!! U_U

Pete!
07-06-2010, 11:20 AM
URGH Voyager just abused time travel. Always an excuse to cause all kinds of carnage and mayhem and have a magic reset button at the end. Also Sarah Silverman. Also biggest cop-out finale since... well, Deep Space Nine.

And Enterprise had the most misguided attempt at a time-travel arc ever, but bless 'em for trying. It was great when Manny Cotto took over as showrunner and turned the time-travelling alien Nazi story at the start of season four into an excuse to go, "OKAY TEMPORAL WAR IS OVER NOW BYE".

(Best thing about the Temporal Cold War: Agent Daniels was the charity worker in Friends from whom Phoebe and Mike withdrew their donation.)

How they managed to do that episode with Dean Stockwell without even the slightest nod to Quantum Leap is beyond me.

other pete
07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I'll probably bang on about this at length some time in the Doctor Who thread, but one of the oddest things for me to get used toabout the new series is that it's become a show almost entirely about time travel. In the first 26 years you could count on the fingers of one hand the numbers of times the Doctor "nipped back" to change things. Possibly on the fingers of one finger (City of Death and... anything else?) and there was only 1 visit to a parallel universe.

OLD FASHIONED OPINION: I think Time Travel is best used as a vehicle for the characters, not a vehicle for the plot.

Voyager is indeed the best/worst example of this. I got so sick of resets and death as a celestial naughty step that I finally stopped watching early in Season 7 after trudging along since the beginning when I realised, with some sadness, that I didnt give a shit how they finally concluded their inevitable plod home. What would be the point of watching? "Oh Tuvock, we've been through so much together, since the pilot 7 years ago you've grown and developed in so many... well... your uniform's slightly different... if you die this place wont be the same, FOR SEVERAL MINUTES" I watched the finale though. LOL.