PDA

View Full Version : Easier to Unify by Dislike or Praise?

SageBrushFire
07-12-2010, 05:41 AM
I've noticed that, at least online, it's often easier for people to unify in hating something (a bad song, a crappy politician) than liking something.

What do you think? Do you find that you usually agree with other people about what you don't like or what you both do like?

When I'm talking with friends we're quite often talking about some thing or person that we mutually can't stand; sometimes it's fun to be unified against something. Personally I just think it's easier to bring up a conversation about something that no one likes than to go the opposite direction. If I talk about something only I like (e.g. Tori Amos) they might not like it and I'll feel bad. If I talk about something that sucks and is generally hated, there's a good chance they will hate it too and we can bitch about it together.

Medusa
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Always easier to talk about what you like. But by nature many of us are very crass, bitter husks of humans who do enjoy the sport of negativity from time to time. But I don't think you frequently see conversations that are as animated when discussing someone's total hatred of someone or something than you do when you see people gathered together to discuss something that they think is really cool.

Michael Michael
07-12-2010, 07:24 AM
HAET MAKE STRONG

SageBrushFire
07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Always easier to talk about what you like. But by nature many of us are very crass, bitter husks of humans who do enjoy the sport of negativity from time to time. But I don't think you frequently see conversations that are as animated when discussing someone's total hatred of someone or something than you do when you see people gathered together to discuss something that they think is really cool.

Well with my friends and I it's usually bitching about one of life's many inconveniences: Boss is acting crappy, job doesn't pay enough, photoshop doesn't have this one feature that seems totally obvious but they've never implemented, stuff like that. And sometimes it's a really terrible person like Rush Limbaugh, I mean, isn't it fun talking about what a prick he is?

jeth
07-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The use of the word 'unify' in the context of this poll makes it seem like you're suggesting everyone subscribes to HIVEMIND and can't think for themselves, positively or negatively.

other pete
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
On a global scale: How many countries have National Days that celebrate an occasion in the past when they were really really nice to their neighbours and got along fine with their colonial overlords?

On an office scale: I don't need to agree with people in order to enjoy talking to them about stuff so I don't really have an answer to the poll question.

SageBrushFire
07-13-2010, 02:46 AM
The use of the word 'unify' in the context of this poll makes it seem like you're suggesting everyone subscribes to HIVEMIND and can't think for themselves, positively or negatively.

Er ... that's an interesting interpretation.

I can't really change the thread title but perhaps a more accurate representation of the question I was trying to ask would be "How do you usually start a conversation with someone?"

Of course if I'd gone that broad It'd be a 10 option poll with random things like "I ask them how their day was" or "I usually start off with a dirty look."

Hivemind actually seems like a good idea. At least we'd all agree.

Medusa
07-13-2010, 03:02 AM
HAET MAKE STRONG
Kollins just used lolspeak on our page.

Let's all band together and hate Kollins as one group.
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2927/queenq.gif (http://img195.imageshack.us/i/queenq.gif/)

To be serious: I won't deny that it's sickly gratifying to unite in dislike about something; I really do enjoy kvetching. But it's a really different sensation to bond over dislike. I really don't get the same giddy enjoyment from talking about how much I hate someone or something that I do when talking about something I find really cool or interesting with my friends.

SageBrushFire
07-13-2010, 03:22 AM
^It depends on what it is. If it's something that I thought no one else hated but me and then I find out they hate it too, it's kind of exciting because i feel like we have more in common.

I really like to daydream about telling people off and kicking ass (no name-taking). Maybe it's because that's pretty much the opposite of me, I almost came to tears when I got mad and said "Shit" while talking to the lady at my bank over the phone. Afterwards I was like "Oh she didn't deserve that, I don't know her story. I'm such a piece of shit now."

What's sad is that she really didn't deserve for me to tell her the bank was full of shit. The one time I decide to get mad at someone on the phone and it turns out it was just my credit card fraud prevention calling me because I used a credit card vending machine 6 times in a row.

Chalk
07-14-2010, 01:40 AM
It's neither one or the other. Me and my friends we talk about things we like and dislike. We do, however, get much more excited talking about the things that we love like for instance today was quoting Pam from True Blood.

toriMODE
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I chose option one, but as Chalk just said, I tend to do both.