PDA

View Full Version : Random Music Thoughts: Unforumzed Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

menju56
07-17-2010, 11:38 AM
We didn't have one yet!

I'll start with a gratuitous photo - I went to a record fair today and picked up some nice vinyls! I wasn't expecting greatness but they had some really good stuff. Almost picked up some more but didn't want to go too over the top.

Whappo
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Best New Thread! I mean, erm, Best Reissue.

Random music thought - I really don't like the word "chillwave." It makes me decidedly un-chill.

Johnothon
07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
I've never felt as passionately about male artists as I do about females ones. Even Rufus, whom I've been in love with for many years, has never quite reached that level of obsession that I have inside for certain women.

Brian
07-20-2010, 01:22 AM
I find This Is Our Music to be a much more satisfying album than Today or On Fire. Mmhmm.

menju56
07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Mercury Music Prize nominees
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10685005

baronette
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
I didn't realise Christine McVie wrote 'Songbird'. Lovely surprise.

Autumn
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Pandora says "Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of Mother Love Bone to become the most popular American rock & roll band of the '90s."

"The most popular" is probably an overstatement.

Brian
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
They definitely toured more than any other band except maybe Dave Matthews Band, so it's conceivable they were the most seen band, but they certainly weren't the best-selling, and "most popular" is dubious at best.

Johnothon
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I didn't realise Christine McVie wrote 'Songbird'. Lovely surprise.

:eek: You didn't?

Joey
07-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I hate Katy Perry. And her abysmal new album cover.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn36/Joseebus/kperry-teenag.jpg

menju56
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh I loathe the woman as well.

Whappo
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Her faux-coy """sexy""" expressions always make her look...special. Like she's halfway to having Down's. I'm somewhat concerned that people generally consider her retarded moonbaby look sexy.

The Seaward
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
"california gurls" is one of my summer jams. [ashamed]

menju56
07-23-2010, 05:41 PM
UK pop hates:

- All X Factor people. Not even on principle, but just because the "music" is SO. BAD. Alexandra Berk = weak sub-US R&B. Diana Vickers = annoying tosser. Leon Jackson and Shayne Ward... remember them??
- La Roux's Elly Jackson is a snarky cow. I would copy and paste numerous irritating interview quotes but I think that would be spreading the negative attitude a little too far.

spyk_
07-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh I loathe the woman as well.

But she's so EDGY. She even holds knifes in photos (http://www.popcrunch.com/katy-perry-knife-photo-controversy/)....and like, stuff.

menju56
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I know, she's so cool. I should like her really ;)

The Seaward
07-23-2010, 07:03 PM
eh, i can separate katy perry the (completely uninteresting) person from her (contentious statement alert!: more interesting) music. the songs are catchy and fun. and she looks more like zooey deschanel than zooey deschanel looks like zooey deschanel. PLUS!

;)

Whappo
07-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Her music would be great if you removed her from it and changed basically all of the lyrics. I don't think she brings anything to the table that you don't get from any other Max Martin or Dr Luke production. And she can't dance and she's terrible live. Suxxx.

Menju, have you heard the Olly Murs single? It is awful. It's like they took all of the annoying Mraz/Johnson/Train singles and smooshed them together into a horrible, horrible mess. Like a prom dress made from discarded carpet remnants! ("Yes, like your prom dress.")

menju56
07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Olly Murs has a single?!?!?!! Bleurgh. I will have to hear it. I had the misfortune to see some of his X Factor performances. What was up with that "dancing"?! I believe some of the judges said he was a good mover.

On the X Factor topic, Dannii Minogue has a new ITV2 show and in the trailer they call her "the nation's new sweetheart." I can't pinpoint the moment when this happened. A few years ago she was seen as Kylie's annoying less talented sister. (For the record I do actually quite like Dannii and always felt sorry for her when comments like that came about so I'm glad she's grown in popularity.)

And on another reality TV show link, anyone remember Alex Parks from Fame Academy? What happened to her?

insanitykun
07-25-2010, 12:43 AM
KatieJane Garside's sideproject Ruby Throat is so gorgeous.

Whappo
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
New Katy Perry is horrible and people are eating it up and talking about how it cuts deep and fuck me it's just a Kelly Clarkson song, guys. A bad Kelly Clarkson song. Where's the guitar in the chorus lifted from? It's bugging me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fj2HVYlD_4

I mean how can a song with the pre-chorus "let's go all the way tonight" not be from a bad movie that's trying to satirise vacuous pop.

I sort of started to like California Gurls until I heard her say that it was meant to be an answer song to New York State of Mind, "repping California" or whatever, and then I felt deeply embarrassed for the state of California and went back to thinking that Perry's the scourge of current pop. Her supervillain status is confirmed by the fact that she appears on not one but TWO songs about "daisy dukes."

The Seaward
07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
could annie clark plz do a song about texas? we need someone of merit to represent our rather misunderstood state.

Tyler
09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Deerhunter's Cryptograms has gotten better with age. I thought it was incredibly overrated at first and I used to skip most of the ambient tracks to get to the meat of the album, but I love all of it now.

ebby
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes to all this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTsBsSngrc

Brian
09-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Real Gone is better than Alice or Blood Money. Mmmhmm.

PoorMatty
09-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Though both have two or three songs that I love, Real Gone is tied with Frank's Wild Years as my least favorite post-Swordfishtrombones Waits studio album (unless you count The Black Rider and Night on Earth.

baronette
09-19-2010, 08:15 AM
:eek: You didn't?

No, I didn't actually! Shocking, I know.

MrQuin
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
The new Kings Of Leon single is incredibly lame, yet the NME folks creamed their pants on it.

Jezebelle
09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Tick Tok and California Gurls are the same song. Like, literally.

I hate that Billionaire song because if I happen to hear a mere 3 or 4 notes, it gets stuck in my head.

On the other hand, that Fuck You song by Cee-Lo is friggin awesome! Its so damn catchy!

insanitykun
09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2dPA2dCRNY

SO DOGGIE DOG ON THIS CURB

kevvieguy
09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Apparently Lady Gaga/RedOne copied the melody from this song in Bad Romance. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U43T-m3oFVU&feature=related

ebby
09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
^ while the melody is the same, in that other song the melody used in Bad Romance is quite hidden in the mix really, and not the main melody at all. Also, it's not as if no little simple riff will ever be wholly new and different these days. There's only so many notes.

I mean, listen to the whole song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UOqiNVMpoE

It's not exactly clearly evident, and it's more likely that they ended up writing something similar to this than actually finding this song somehow and deciding to rip it off. It's not exactly the same rhythm or anything, and the melody is split between different electronic sounds as opposed to a vocal riff.

Added to that, it's just a bloody riff outlining a chord shape - it's hardly innovative and different. It's very straight forward and simple, really.

Silly musical conspiracy theories.

The only one with any weight was the Rolling Stones when they were accused of ripping off kd lang's "constant craving", though both Jagger and Richards claimed to have never heard the song before. Jagger then discovered his daughter listening to a recording of “Constant Craving” on her stereo and realized he had heard the song before many times but only subliminally. But they very cleverly gave kd lang and ben mink a co-writing credit on the song so avoid any lawsuit possibilities.

Though somehow they managed to reference a rather good song, and still have quite a shit one as a result. The only good thing about "anybody seen my baby?" is Angelina Jolie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufp0RANigro

Simon
09-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have links to great music blogs ?
i wanted to start a thread about that but decided it would be better in this thread ( maybe ? )

menju56
09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I've been in a bit of a vinyl phase lately, buying second hand ones that look good and are relatively inexpensive. I don't want this to become an addiction. Anyone else a vinyl fan?

Faust
09-21-2010, 01:35 AM
My vinyl collection's not really all that impressive, but I do really enjoying collecting it when I can afford it. Lately I've been picking up Kate Bush's discography; the records are relatively cheap if you can find them used.

pan
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I could have great Kate Bush vinyl collection but I have it all represented in her CD boxset. But it's real easy to get vinyl if you to actual places that sell it used in person. You can really get ripped off on Ebay.

the same place I went to had scores of Depeche Mode vinyl and I my fingers just melted as I was browsing through it all.

ebby
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Most of my vinyl is Kate Bush albums. I have nearly all of them, and a few singles on vinyl too. It just makes me happy to have them on vinyl.

MrQuin
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Apparently Lady Gaga/RedOne copied the melody from this song in Bad Romance. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U43T-m3oFVU&feature=related

I'd say it's probably coincidental. That simple piece of melody has only a few notes in it so it's likely there are lots of more or less similar things out there.

clarion
09-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I've been in a bit of a vinyl phase lately, buying second hand ones that look good and are relatively inexpensive. I don't want this to become an addiction. Anyone else a vinyl fan?

It can very easily become an addiction! Luckily there's nowhere around me that sells vinyl, so it's less tempting (although now that amazon stocks vinyl, I have bought a few things from them).

Record shelf:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5021872422_779ec10a8e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/natura_naturata/5021872422/)
record shelf (http://www.flickr.com/photos/natura_naturata/5021872422/) by alain l'ťtranger (http://www.flickr.com/people/natura_naturata/), on Flickr

And I've still got quite a few in a box that I don't have room for.

JHV
09-25-2010, 05:24 AM
It can very easily become an addiction! Luckily there's nowhere around me that sells vinyl, so it's less tempting (although now that amazon stocks vinyl, I have bought a few things from them).

That Amazon vinyl store is always quite tempting. My most recent vinyl purchases have been the 3 LP set for Madonna's Hard Candy (new for only $6.50 from Amazon!), St. Vincent's Actor, and the Dirty Projectors "Live at Other Music". I'm been holding off on getting the Florence and the Machine and Arcade Fire records on vinyl, as well as the remastered Hounds of Love, but I'll be getting those as soon as I've paid off my Amsterdam trip.

clarion
09-25-2010, 05:55 AM
The only problem I have with amazon is that they don't (or didn't when they first started selling vinyl) really know how to pack records very well. The records themselves are fine, but the sleeves almost always came with some damage. They may have gotten enough complaints that they've fixed their issues.

I doubt any of you are interested in old Japanese records, but this place is awesome - http://www.snowrecords.co.jp/ - I got something from them for my birthday and will definitely buy from them again. They might carry rare Japanese pressings of non-Japanese artists. I haven't really looked - actually, I just did a quick search for Kate Bush and they do have a Japanese pressing (with the Japan-only cover) of The Kick Inside.

menju56
09-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Record shelf:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5021872422_779ec10a8e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/natura_naturata/5021872422/)
record shelf (http://www.flickr.com/photos/natura_naturata/5021872422/) by alain l'ťtranger (http://www.flickr.com/people/natura_naturata/), on Flickr

And I've still got quite a few in a box that I don't have room for.

I like your shelf!
My own personal vinyl collection isn't huge but I do enjoy listening to my parents' collection which is pretty good I have to say. But the ones I've bought myself:

New
PJ Harvey and John Parish - A Woman A Man Walked By
Goldfrapp - Head First
Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers [now out of print]
Laura Veirs - July Flame
Nerina Pallot - Learning to Breathe 7" Part 1
Nerina Pallot - Learning to Breathe 7" Part 2
Nerina Pallot - Real Late Starter 7"
Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris 7" [includes naked Moz photo!]
Jonathan Jeremiah - What's A Guy Got To Do EP

Used
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
Laura Nyro - Season of Lights [promo copy]
Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates
Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine
Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
Billie Holiday - The Legend of Billie Holiday
Laurie Anderson - Mister Heartbreak
Nico - Desertshore
Nico - The End
Cocteau Twins - Sunburst and Snowblind EP
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk 7"
Peter Gabriel - Biko 7"

clarion
09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a feeling you would enjoy going through some of my records, menju. There's a new, heavy-vinyl pressing of Desertshore in there, Cocteau Twins' Treasure - I could go on. But you definitely ought to pick up Morrissey's greatest hits on vinyl - it's gatefold, and when you open it up, there's a huge picture of his hairy arse.

I got into record collecting via BjŲrk, but I haven't bought anything related to her in a while. All of the studio albums are there (including a bootleg of the 1977 album and a promo-only Post), the three Sugarcubes albums, the two KUKL albums (both original Crass pressings - glad I bought them when I did), and singles of all kinds.

menju56
09-25-2010, 10:36 PM
^ That definitely sounds like something I would enjoy! Heavy vinyl pressing of Desertshore = yum. I almost bought some used Morrissey on vinyl the other week but didn't want to go overboard with the spending. But I will bear the Greatest Hits in mind - I've seen the hairy arse photo but not in huge LP gatefold ;l

I am interested in BjŲrk vinyls. I periodically check eBay and if something catches my eye, I am there like a shot. Your record collection sounds pretty mouth-watering, I have to say. I bet the BjŲrk records look and sound amazing on vinyl.

clarion
09-25-2010, 10:50 PM
I know it's not anyone's favorite, but Volta is worth owning just for the huge packaging (and hilariously large and awkward sticker)!

There's some Kate in there, too, but not so much. The Dreaming, Hounds (marble vinyl), Experiment IV, and I think that's about it. Rarely do I come across her in used stores around here.

I guess at some point I need to do a spreadsheet and catalog the whole collection.

menju56
09-25-2010, 11:40 PM
^ I was wondering about the Volta LP and the sticker! I have enough trouble with the CD.

On a different topic, can anyone recommend good but not expensive headphones? I've been using alright/cheap ones for about four years now but I can sense a change is needed.

waitressboy
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I need a new set of shelves for my cds. The problem is that when I have the money for it, instead of buying the shelves I buy more cds. Crap.

I don't understand when a band disolves and one of them goes solo and the album sounds EXACTLY like what he/she'd been doing with the band. The Corrs, for instance. They're not so bad (they're not great either), but why are they on hiatus if Andrea and Sharon made albums that sound just like a The Corrs album? Money, money, money...

Brian
09-27-2010, 01:06 AM
OK, I was wrong, and now I've become convinced. I don't remember why I dismissed it when it came out, but I know I never gave it a truly fair listen until well after Trust came out, and by that time it already had a REPUTATION and I dug Trust way more than most fans, so I was prepared to be down on it. But I've finally (9 years late) taken the time to really get to know it intimately, and I can admit it now. Things We Lost in the Fire is the best Low album.

Faust
09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
^ I was wondering about the Volta LP and the sticker! I have enough trouble with the CD.

On a different topic, can anyone recommend good but not expensive headphones? I've been using alright/cheap ones for about four years now but I can sense a change is needed.

If you think the Volta LP is bad, just even try dealing with the Volta-era single LP boxsets! I ended up just using an exacto-knife to cut the stickers down the middle as not to really damage the packaging.

As for headphones... I use the Dr. Dre Heartbeats, which I found $30 off, so... ;l Yeah, those aren't the cheapest. But I think they're totally worth it if you're willing to dish out some extra cash.

JAE
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Tick Tok and California Gurls are the same song. Like, literally.

Not only are they the same song, but they both share the distinction of having the worst lyrics ever. Normally I can just ignore or blank out lyrics to pop fluff but they're so fucking distractingly atrocious and obnoxiously blatant in this case that even vaguely hearing these songs from a different room is irritating. Every single line in them is a steaming turd that makes Tori's recent output read like WB Yeats.

other pete
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
I'am riting aSong 4 Katty Peri its' called "CLUB IS LIKE WOAH!'! their will be a rap by Gnu-unit with sum innnueddos.

It samples classic anthums from 2009 but no copywright fragment intented!

ETA: it is about goin toa pardie in a club and bein sexxxxie!!!! I ALREDDIE HAVE THE VIDIEO PLAND!

Octopussy
10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I need a recommendation, re: Goblin. (Dario Argento movies)

which is the best one to get? I fucking love La Chiesa.

Jonathan
10-12-2010, 02:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOsS1tUTllA&feature=player_embedded#!

REALLY?

Ugh.

p.s. you are not hallucinating, this is indeed Shakira's take on The xx's Islands. :(

Simon
10-12-2010, 02:37 AM
p.s. you are not hallucinating, this is indeed Shakira's take on The xx's Islands. :(

why ?
can someone tell me WHY ?

Whappo
10-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Really old news. And I like it a lot.

eta: in other popinions - I really like Kitty Purry's Firework, although it's hilarious in terms of vocals and lyrics. I have also come around to enjoying Taio's Dy-no-mite.

Jonathan
10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Meh, didn't see it discussed anywhere. And if it pleases you, the video was upped yesterday, so feast your eyes on the novelty of that. Also, it sux.

Whappo
10-13-2010, 05:59 AM
It's great and it showcases how solid a pop song it is. I didn't realise The xx had reached the irritating "unworthy acts covering them is SACRILEGE!!!" stage yet.

ebby
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Shakira's cover is quite nice, actually. It does turn it into a more straight forward pop song, but really, the whole xx album is really straight forward little cute songs with interesting production and kinda half-sung vocals. That's what gave it its charm, in my opinion. The beats in the original version of Islands aren't really all that far removed from much pop music really.

Faust
10-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I really like Kitty Purry's Firework, although it's hilarious in terms of vocals and lyrics.

Indeed! It sounds like the song should've been for someone with a wider vocal range.

Whappo
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Indeed! It sounds like the song should've been for someone with a wider vocal range.
Bless her though, it's massively Euro and gay. Hummingbird Heartbeat is also AMAZING, maybe one of my favourite pop songs of the year, and should be the album's last single (ideally it should have replaced Teenage Dream IN A PERFECT WORLD). Everything else on there is pretty awful - stuff like Peacock is not what I was expecting after hearing the singles and seeing the cover.

She's an almost brilliantly shoddy lyricist though.

menju56
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
New Olly Murs single! How helpful that they put up the lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcS3PSvFe8A

It's a treasure trove of thrillingly poetic lines. My favourites include:

"Are you still rocking Converse with your old Raybans?"
"Remember when that crab came up and pinched your feet?"
"Do you still get knocked down by that Bacardi breeze"

Oh! It gets better

"Bumped into Irene down in Waterloo"

And what did Irene say, you ask? Well, as Olly kindly informs us, "she said you musta like him cos he's oh so nice / but I remember that you like a pinch of spice"

And how's this for a winning couplet?
"If you're sitting in the places that we used to be / Or if you're somewhere listening to Bob Marley"

Suddenly Des'ree's toast lyric doesn't sound quite so bad anymore, does it?

Whappo
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
God he is just the fucking worst.

Menju, did you hear the clip on PJ of Joe covering Real Late Starter? Amazing! Almost as good as the Superpowerless remix.

menju56
10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I did indeed! I wonder if he sings the line Queen Refusenik or changes it to King Refusenik; don't think that was in the clip

Callum
10-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Miranda Cooper and Tim "Tony Lamezma" Powell have left Xenomania!

:'(

seso
10-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm quite liking Laetitia Sadier her album and look forward to Non Music now

Whappo
10-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Miranda Cooper and Tim "Tony Lamezma" Powell have left Xenomania!

:'(
Xenomania RIP then, right?

The follow-up to Out of Control will be the new Chinese Democracy, etc.

Whappo
10-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Can't stop watching the video for Hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbtBLZxL6w). I hated this song when I first heard it on the radio, but the video is hot and also LEGS:

http://www.promonews.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Ting-Tings%E2%80%99-Hands-by-Warren-Fu-.jpg

It's making me like the song a lot more.

insanitykun
10-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Can't stop watching the video for Hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbtBLZxL6w). I hated this song when I first heard it on the radio, but the video is hot and also LEGS:

http://www.promonews.tv/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Ting-Tings%E2%80%99-Hands-by-Warren-Fu-.jpg

It's making me like the song a lot more.

Well, Little Boots has made her mark on the world of the low budget video.

Whappo
10-16-2010, 02:29 PM
The saddest part is that Hands is much better than the Little Boots track of the same name and has a much better Little Boots video than Victoria ever got. But then a lot of that is down to the fact that Katie White's strongest attribute is her attitude (and her legs), whereas Victoria generally looks really uncomfortable in front of a camera. Throw in some kaleidoscope and the result is just queasy rather than flashy.

insanitykun
10-16-2010, 04:55 PM
The saddest part is that Hands is much better than the Little Boots track of the same name and has a much better Little Boots video than Victoria ever got. But then a lot of that is down to the fact that Katie White's strongest attribute is her attitude (and her legs), whereas Victoria generally looks really uncomfortable in front of a camera. Throw in some kaleidoscope and the result is just queasy rather than flashy.

I'm also fairly sure I know that I can do with two hands! Lots of things, in fact.

menju56
10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Posted this in the AW Deathwatch thread but since it's musical thought I'd also post here (not going to make a dedicated thread until that elusive new album surfaces!)

It's a 30-sec sound clip of "It's My Party" on the new Quincy Jones tribute album, marking the first new Amy Winehouse recording since 2007. You can tell her voice has changed a bit (especially on the line "if it happened to you") but I think she sounds pretty great, I'm happy to say
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Q%3A+Soul+Bossa+Nostra&x=0&y=0 (Track 7)

Tyler
10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Ha, well, this is completely random and interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sldoaXhnbI0

Whappo
10-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Of course Katy Perry can manage to have a video about cancer patients, body issues, mugging, broken homes and The Gays and STILL have it be about her tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

(I actually think it's wonderfully ridiculous)

Callum
10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
It's gloriously OTT. Pyrotechtits! Sort-of dance routine! More budget than sense!

Tyler
10-31-2010, 02:30 AM
Women might have broken up. (http://exclaim.ca/News/women_implode_onstage_in_bc_allegedly_break_up) :(

Steve SFM
11-02-2010, 02:46 AM
There's an update at that link now, a statement from the head of Flemish Eye (their label) saying that they're just exhausted and need time off, and they've canceled their European tour. So maybe they'll work it out and maybe they won't.

I saw them just like ten days ago and they were just fine - in great spirits and they put on a great show. And they're nice guys, too. I guess they just really did get frazzled. I hope they can save the band, because it's worth saving. Public Strain is going to be quite high on my year-end list.

waitressboy
11-02-2010, 03:06 AM
Of course Katy Perry can manage to have a video about cancer patients, body issues, mugging, broken homes and The Gays and STILL have it be about her tits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

(I actually think it's wonderfully ridiculous)

The image of the pregnant woman having the fireworks on her belly won't let me sleep tonight...

menju56
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Posted this in the AW Deathwatch thread but since it's musical thought I'd also post here (not going to make a dedicated thread until that elusive new album surfaces!)

It's a 30-sec sound clip of "It's My Party" on the new Quincy Jones tribute album, marking the first new Amy Winehouse recording since 2007. You can tell her voice has changed a bit (especially on the line "if it happened to you") but I think she sounds pretty great, I'm happy to say
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=Q%3A+Soul+Bossa+Nostra&x=0&y=0 (Track 7)

And now the full version has surfaced. It includes a spoken bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYQrTYTfkA&feature=player_embedded

It's quite ragged in parts but I do actually really quite like it.

Whappo
11-04-2010, 11:03 PM
So I love Nicki Minaj because she's blatantly a complete mental (and a bad bitch, and a cunt, and she'll kick this ho, punt). Roman's Revenge is FANTASTIC. But I'm a bit disappointed that an otherwise awesome and, from what I'm told, fairly queer artist would let Eminem use "faggot" and "no homo" on their album. Boo!

http://nimg.sulekha.com/entertainment/original700/nicki-minaj-2010-9-12-23-20-35.jpg

Anyway. RUH! RUH! LIKE A DUNGEON DRAGON. (http://hypem.com/track/1250112/Nicki+Minaj+-+Roman+s+Revenge+Feat+Eminem+)

Brian
11-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Cover for the new Iron & Wine, out in January on Warner:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9886/50589625.jpg

And Frightened Rabbit signed to Atlantic. Oof. Isn't it time to skip the big label jump already?

eta: weirdest indie-song-in-advertisement ever? I just heard the Newsom in an LG phone ad. Weirdness.

insanitykun
11-17-2010, 04:00 AM
eta: weirdest indie-song-in-advertisement ever? I just heard the Newsom in an LG phone ad. Weirdness.

They're using Tune-Yards in Blackberry commercials. THAT is fucking weird.

sleeptheclock
11-18-2010, 04:05 AM
That Iron & Wine album cover is beautiful!

Pete!
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I am actually so excited by new Iron & Wine.

I am temping right now. I am working in an office that has the radio on all day. I am slowly going mad. I keep hearing this song with a girl shouting I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH over and over and fucking over and now Kim tells me it's Will Smith's daughter and I am going to fucking go back in time and punch Will Smith in the balls so hard he DIES AND NEVER HAS ANY CHILDREN.

Also, Katy Perry. Three or four times a day I get to hear "Boom boom boom, brighter than the moon moon moon". And y'know, that's funny precisely once.

There is actually a lot of stuff I like at the moment, but I'm traumatised by daytime radio.

insanitykun
11-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I am temping right now. I am working in an office that has the radio on all day. I am slowly going mad. I keep hearing this song with a girl shouting I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH over and over and fucking over and now Kim tells me it's Will Smith's daughter and I am going to fucking go back in time and punch Will Smith in the balls so hard he DIES AND NEVER HAS ANY CHILDREN.

WRONG OPINION. The rest of the song is amazing. AND SHE'S ONLY TEN.

Steve SFM
11-19-2010, 01:44 AM
I remember temping at an office that played Top 40 just when "My Heart Will Go On" was popular. :(

Pete!
11-19-2010, 07:02 AM
WRONG OPINION. The rest of the song is amazing. AND SHE'S ONLY TEN.

THEN SHE SHOULD BE AT FUCKING SCHOOL AND NOT FUCKING SHOUTING DOWN MY FUCKING EARS FOUR FUCKING TIMES A DAY.

Steve SFM
11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
The fact that Will Smith requires his children to be stars is fucking creepy.

Jezebelle
11-21-2010, 01:19 AM
^ I agree.

Sure, she's only 10, but I seriously doubt she "wrote" that herself. Her success is a perfect example of celebrity nepotism.

Octopussy
11-21-2010, 01:27 AM
I used to hear so much shit on the radio in places I've worked. The worst was always Avril Lavigne's latest driveling emo shart, like this one:

I don't want to talk about it, I just want to sit and stare at you - WTF?? Isn't pop music supposed to be happy and fun, or at least not fucking creepy? Her music is like listening to some 13-year old on a suicide hotline. "Down the block" already, DOWN THE BLOCK, bitch!

waitressboy
11-21-2010, 04:33 PM
WHY IN THE WORLD IS SO HARD TO FIND AND ALBUM OF TERAMI HIRSCH!!!???
(yes, I'm shouting)

Am I the only one who thinks it's time for Britney to release some new stuff?

Perky Compson
11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
I believe she's got something slotted for 2011. I certainly hope so!

howieD
11-29-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.spin.com/spin25/125-best-albums-past-25-years#page=1

Three Outkast albums?? pffft.

Yes, I know this isn't the Tori forum
2apiece for PJ & Bjork, but no earthquakes? I'd say something about 'diminishing her legacy...' but then, they still included Liz Phair.

Whappo
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, but Stankonia IS top 20 material.

pan
11-30-2010, 01:49 AM
(spin never liked Tori...

there was some quite disrespectful stuff posted in everything I saw that mentioned her during the venus era

it sucks cause that record was actually good. these days if they crapped on AATS, I'd be like so....)

Jake
11-30-2010, 02:22 AM
That's a great list, really reminds you of why some of those albums are so fucking good. I still agree and maintain, my fanship aside, that Tori deserves a mention on there for Little Earthquakes or Under The Pink.

Meh, nvm. It's really not that great of a list but there were definitely great choices scattered among some WTF choices.

Tyler
11-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I love that Bradford Cox posted four, new, free releases on his blog. [post28]

sleeptheclock
11-30-2010, 02:50 AM
(spin never liked Tori...

there was some quite disrespectful stuff posted in everything I saw that mentioned her during the venus era

it sucks cause that record was actually good. these days if they crapped on AATS, I'd be like so....)

I remember them being mostly positive towards her. BFP and FTCH both managed to be listed in their Top 20 Albums of the Year--and it wasn't like everyone was raving about BFP when it was released. They also listed LE in their Essential Recordings of the 90s list, and I think SW was on their Albums of the Year list the year it was released as well.

The Seaward
11-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Yeah, but Stankonia IS top 20 material.

THIS.

Octopussy
11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.spin.com/spin25/125-best-albums-past-25-years#page=1

Three Outkast albums?? pffft.

Yes, I know this isn't the Tori forum
2apiece for PJ & Bjork, but no earthquakes? I'd say something about 'diminishing her legacy...' but then, they still included Liz Phair.

man, that list was pathetic. Especially how they included shit like Guns & Roses and 2 Jay-Z albums, in order to be less obviously hipster.

Does anyone actually listen to those Strokes, Vines, and Hives albums anymore? No, they don't. Eat a dick, SPIN.

Savannah
11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
David Lynch just released two singles.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/nov/28/david-lynch-turns-pop-singer-songwriter

The creator of Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive is releasing two debut singles, Good Day Today and I Know, through a British independent label. After a film career spanning more than four decades, Lynch told the Guardian that music has become a powerful inspiration in his life.

"Good Day Today" is generic pop-ambient crap but it's worth listening to because, WTF, Autotuned David Lynch. "I Know" sounds pretty much like the music he's made in the past.

Get back to the camera and make me a movie, Dave.

Brian
12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
"I Know" is very similar in feel to the Dark Night of the Soul tracks he did. Which I dig. Uh, "Good Day Today" sounds about 15 years past its sell-by date.

So I finally gave in and put the new Grinderman on my iPod and listened to it a few times at work since some friends at the radio station have insisted it's far better than the first one. And it is. I've given up on Nick Cave. Truly. And this has changed nothing. I despised the first Grinderman CD, but cannot muster up much emotion about this one. The lyrics are still silly in their attempts to be dark or edgy. Of course, I know his tongue is even further in cheek here than on any Bad Seeds album of the last ten years, but really, it's just infantile at many points. At least there are some great hooks though. "Palaces of Montezuma" sounds fantastic if I tune the words out, and "What I Know" and "When My Baby Comes" and even "Worm Tamer" all have nice moments. But songs like "Heathen Child" and "Micky Mouse" are just bad. Overall meh. Really really meh.

waitressboy
12-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Did anybody buy "9" by Damien Rice? I wanna know if the american or the european editions of the cds doesn't include the lyrics, cos the argentinian edition doesn't even have a booklet, and that really pisses me off.

Blake
12-04-2010, 01:23 AM
It was forever ago when I bought it but I think mine only came with a cardboard sleeve. I could be wrong, though.

Savannah
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I despised the first Grinderman CD, but cannot muster up much emotion about this one. The lyrics are still silly in their attempts to be dark or edgy.

This is why I could never stand Nick Cave. He's way too proud of himself for knowing words like "blue stocking." And his entire career seems to be based on singing as many woman-hating songs as possible before people figure out that every single one of his "personas" is a variation on that theme.

Steve SFM
12-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Aretha Franklin has pancreatic cancer. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/08/aretha-franklin-cancer-_n_793812.html)

With all of the canceled shows and health procedures she's been having lately, I was afraid of something like this. :(

toriMODE
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Bad news, indeed!

MrQuin
12-08-2010, 08:59 PM
How sad! The next big one to go then.

marci
12-08-2010, 10:03 PM
No way! That's heartbreaking. :(

pan
12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
did anyone else notice recently that US CD singles that are still in stock skyrocketed in price on amazon (amazon being the main seller)? I still buy physical discs believe it or not.

ebby
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Time Travel moment: (this is how my sleepy brain works)

If Kate Bush was starting her career in the last few years, she'd be Lady Gaga, but I'm not sure if Lady Gaga would be Kate Bush is she started her career back in the 70's.

kevvieguy
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Eh? If Kate Bush were starting her career now she'd be closer to iamamiwhoami than Gaga.

insanitykun
12-16-2010, 10:42 PM
A failed folk-pop singer who brilliantly reinvented herself three albums in? Not really.

ebby
12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
yep yep yep. Kate Bush hit it out of the park with her first releases, had wildly theatrical performances and was very much in the public eye as a young, eccentric popstar. She was also writing about the gays from her early work onwards...

menju56
12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
RIP Captain Beefheart (http://pitchfork.com/news/41062-rip-captain-beefheart/)

JHV
12-18-2010, 12:37 AM

If Kate Bush was starting her career in the last few years, she'd be Lady Gaga, but I'm not sure if Lady Gaga would be Kate Bush is she started her career back in the 70's.

I think you're right-on. If Lady Gaga had started in the 70's, I think she would've stayed in more of a piano-based sound and been more of a Carole King like songwriter. She's mentioned how Carole is one of her heroes actually, and started out as a songwriter for other acts, so I think that's the direction she would've headed in.

Kate Bush is musically much weirder than Lady Gaga though, I don't know if Kate would manage to get as big in today's market, and her general aversion to touring would hurt her as well.

JAE
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM

I think it's funny how people are like 'oh that Lady Gaga and her cuhhhraaazy outfits, whatever will she think of next?' when she's really just doing what the majority of pop and rock stars 30-40 years ago were doing.

ebby
12-18-2010, 12:27 PM
^ So true. If anything, we've come full circle after the need/desire for popstars to be "real people" again in a 60's/70's style that came back in the 90's, and right back where we like them being crazy surreal (Kate Bush) people who can't possibly have come from this planet (Bowie).

emptytuileries
12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
RIP Captain Beefheart (http://pitchfork.com/news/41062-rip-captain-beefheart/)

Oh, man.

menju56
12-21-2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6fCOGyVJg

Whappo
12-28-2010, 01:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM-41D89rdc

"Just close your eyes, let me hypnotise you."

"If I'm not beside you I'm inside you."

"Imagine you're on the beach and you're lost...you feel a breeze because your clothes are off."

"Touch it girl touch it girl touch it girl touch it girl touch it girl."

"I'm behind you."

"Go on and touch it girl."

Hey, ladies. Pharrell is totally going to rape you. With hypnosis!

menju56
01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Worst BRIT Award nominations (in the British categories) ever? (http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content/news-flash/12841/brits-nominations-revealed.html)

insanitykun
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Why are the xx nominated for an album that came out August 2009?

Tyler
01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
eta: nevermind, laura posted it elsewhere!

JAE
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Worst BRIT Award nominations (in the British categories) ever? (http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content/news-flash/12841/brits-nominations-revealed.html)

Best British Single is my favourite category.

menju56
02-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I smelt Katy Perry's Teenage Dream booklet today. No, not as crazy as it sounds. I thought I could smell a sweet candy-type smell, so I smelt the booklet and lo and behold it was that. This may be common knowledge but I was reasonably excited at the discovery.

Whappo
02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
^It's almost enough to tempt me to buy a copy.

Meanwhile, Nicole Shirt-Singer is on a roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4nKOzk8qbw

I still sing "got hoisin on my mind" at least once a week.

menju56
02-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Anyone watch the Brit Awards? or did you, like me, get tired of it and watch a repeat of Murder on the Orient Express instead?

Whappo
02-15-2011, 09:23 PM
I've become so bored by awards shows that I wonder now why I ever cared about them or why anyone else still does. And who the hell are The Arcade Fries.

menju56
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
S Club 7 reunited!!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/30/article-1371384-0B657B3E00000578-223_634x528.jpg

Yes, that is Paul.

Other lovely reunion photos here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1371384/Rachel-Stevens-sparkles-S-Club-Seven-Jersey-Boys-reunion--whats-happened-Paul.html). What you need to know is that someone in the comments describes Jo as looking like "a 54-year-old divorcee who's had a recent makeover" and that Tina Barrett (you know, the one that never sang?) is trying to launch a "solo career"!

Whappo
03-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I love Hannah. None of them are looking their best though, are they? And we've not all forgotten that Jo is a complete and utter arsehole, have we?

This is still amazing, in case you were wondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tts0dzvp4

Now it's two weeks later
I feel such a traitor
Oh, I let you in my back door

I'm sure you did, love.

howieD
03-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm always a bit surprised that electro gfrappy pop of this calibre comes from an ex Sclubber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z46DmaGCpW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IMLVn4iC44

menju56
04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Who remembers B*Witched?

*ahem*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9V01appq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXlfcGN4WE

menju56
04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Poly Styrene dies at 53 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/26/poly-styrene-dies-aged-53)

Octopussy
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogypBUCb7DA

Some people think lit'l gurls should be seen and not hurd...

Steve SFM
04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcWtPOL6aQ

WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF
ON THE T.V. SCREEN
DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN THE MAGAZINE
WHEN YOU SEE YOURSELF
DOES IT MAKE YOU SCREAM

Rest in peace, fair Poly.

howieD
05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
http://teganandsara.com/news/a-call-for-change/

a call for change

When will misogynistic and homophobic ranting and raving result in meaningful repercussions in the entertainment industry? When will they be treated with the same seriousness as racist and anti-Semitic offenses? While an artist who can barely get a sentence fragment out without using homophobic slurs is celebrated on the cover of every magazine, blog and newspaper, Iím disheartened that any self-respecting human being could stand in support with a message so vile.

As journalists and colleagues defend, excuse and congratulate ĎTyler, the Creator,í I find it impossible not to comment. In any other industry would I be expected to tolerate, overlook and find deeper meaning in this kidís sickening rhetoric? Why should I care about this music or its ďbrillianceĒ when the message is so repulsive and irresponsible? There is much that upsets me in this world, and this certainly isnít the first time Iíve drafted an open letter or complaint, but in the past Iíve found an opinion Ė some like-minded commentary Ė that let me rest assured that my outrage, my voice, had been accounted for. Not this time.

If any of the bands whose records are held in similar esteem as Goblin had lyrics littered with rape fantasies and slurs, would they be labeled hate mongers? I realize I could ask that question of DOZENS of other artists, but is Tyler exempt because people are afraid of the backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not ďgetting itĒ would indicate that youíre ďoldĒ (or a faggot)? Because, the more I think about it, the more I think people donít actually want to go up against this particular bully because heís popular. Who sticks up for women and gay people now? It seems entirely uncool to do so in the indie rock world, and Iíll argue that point with ANYONE.

No genre is without its controversial and offensive characters- Iím not naive. Iíve asked myself a thousand times why this is pushing me over the edge. Maybe itís the access to him (his grotesque twitter, etc). Maybe itís because Iím a human being, both a girl and a lesbian. Maybe itís because my mom has spent her whole adult life working with teenage girls who were victims of sexual assault. Maybe itís because in this case I donít think race or class actually has anything to do with his hateful message but has EVERYTHING to do with why everyone refuses to admonish him for that message.

It is not without great hesitation and hand wringing that I enter into the discourse about Tyler, the media who glorifies and excuses misogyny and homophobia, and the community of artists that doesnít seem remotely bothered by it. I can only hope that someone reading this might be inspired to speak out. At the very least, I will know that my voice is on record.

http://www.nme.com/news/odd-future/56696

Tyler, The Creator has stepped into a new spat with Tegan and Sara over apparently homophobic lyrics.

Sara Keirsten Quin from the Canadian duo wrote a blog post on their site Teganandsara.com taking issue with the provocative nature of the Odd Future leader's rhymes.

She wrote: "While an artist who can barely get a sentence fragment out without using homophobic slurs is celebrated on the cover of every magazine, blog and newspaper, I'm disheartened that any self-respecting human being could stand in support with a message so vile."

The openly gay singer continued: ďAs journalists and colleagues defend, excuse and congratulate 'Tyler, The Creator', I find it impossible not to comment. In any other industry would I be expected to tolerate, overlook and find deeper meaning in this kid's sickening rhetoric? Why should I care about this music or its 'brilliance' when the message is so repulsive and irresponsible?"

She went on to criticise the music community for not calling the rapper out: "Is Tyler exempt because people are afraid of a backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not 'getting it' would indicate that youíre 'old' (or a faggot?) Because, the more I think about it, the more I think people don't actually want to go up against this particular bully because he's popular."

Tyler was quick to respond, apparently provoking Sara further. He posted on Twitter.com/fucktyler: "If Tegan and Sara Need Some Hard Dick, Hit Me Up!"

http://pinboardblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Tyler+The+Creator+tylerthecreatortoilet.jpg

May you be blessed with beautiful gay children, pigdog.

Octopussy
05-17-2011, 02:03 AM
I don't know who Tyler, the Creator is, but I hate him and I hate his ass face.

longtime companda
05-17-2011, 02:35 AM
^I second those sentiments (and this makes me love T&S even more even though I thought that was impossible).

Steve SFM
05-18-2011, 02:59 AM
http://pinboardblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Tyler+The+Creator+tylerthecreatortoilet.jpg

Ah. A picture of him creating.

Whappo
05-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Disrespect us? No, they won't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p72UqyVPj54

"Yes, they will. And they do. Often."

Pete!
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
The whole OFWGKTA thing is frustrating to me. Potentially the biggest and most creative collective since the Wu-Tang Clan, hyped so hard it hurts, and they're simply not as interesting. And also horrible to listen to; I gave up on Tyler's Bastard three tracks in because it left a bad taste in my mouth, and Earl Sweatshirt is perhaps worse (although for my money a better MC). Hodgy Beats is pretty uninspiring and Frank Ocean made me cringe a little.

Tyler is definitely a gifted rapper, but his lyrics are impossible to get past, and the production simply ain't all that. And he's clearly a dick. I can't fathom all the critical hype surrounding Goblin (again, I couldn't get past the first couple of tracks), and I don't really get the love of Odd Future in general. A lot of their output is really mediocre.

menju56
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Nicola from Girls Aloud is launching a solo career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BG3n1q5KU

Pete!
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Diplo can pretty much do no wrong.

Whappo
06-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Beat of My Drum is fucking amazing. I wish the video was just 3 minutes of Nicola with a side ponytail, shitting glitter on the rest of Girls Aloud though.

I can see this album being cast aside by the public like Don't Stop, sadly, but I hope my intuition is off the mark. But then if they'll buy Messy Little Raindrops, who knows.

menju56
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I love it. Not so keen on the fact that Nicola's new teeth seem to be glueing her jaw shut at the 0.57 mark, but I'm really impressed with it. The YouTube comments, I've noticed, are very divisive.

insanitykun
06-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Super into the track, not super into the video because she seems distracted/drugged.

Whappo
06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Nicola's always been like that and always will be. Therein lies her charm.

other pete
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out and call it my Pop Song Of The Year. Loved Diplo's tracks with Robyn, and once I stopped wishing it was her singing this too I came to love it more. I wouldn't call NR's voice distinctive but you can hear her Runcorn-ish accent in the verses, a bit, which is good. Never a huge Girls Aloud fan but the shit she gets from twats like Chris Moyles (who does not want to have sex with her, negating any justification for her involvement in the pop industry, apparently) endeared me to her (or "her to me"... I have phrase blindness suddenly).

Sam check your specs! At the start of the video she's making lots of little facial expressions the average glamazombie has had ironed out by Dr Botox by the time they hit 20.

I even paid 89p to download the single on principle because Pop Music Must Not Die.

It went in at #27 yesterday, is that a disaster/promising start? I've no idea how these things work. There's a CD single due for release in the middle of next month, so I guess a long game is being played.

I hope for inclusion of this version, naturally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJCDNd3vhg

menju56
06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
It was at No.10 in the midweeks after a day's sales so it dropped off pretty drastically, but it's part of the On Air/On Sale strategy which has come in from some labels in the last few months, so as soon as it gets a radio play it's available to buy. This perhaps would mean better sales in the long run, but worse chart positions because instead of focusing all promotion on one release date where you'd expect it to have most of its sales, the sales are spread out over many weeks.

Here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13714080) is an article about it

And I agree, I can hear her accent in the verses (especially the "see how strong you've made me now" bit)

insanitykun
06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES. HAYUM.

insanitykun
06-13-2011, 08:54 PM
You know what else is fucking amazing? This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgeaYewUkM

Whappo
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Cher Lloyd leaks, samples Clementine, rhymes "swagger" with "jagger", tells people to "get on the floor." (http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60218144.html)

LOL IRL

Pete!
06-15-2011, 07:34 PM
SLAP YOUR ELBOW!

Whappo
06-15-2011, 07:50 PM
EVERYONE IS A HATER. THE SONG IS AMAZING. HATERS ARE WRONG.

http://i52.tinypic.com/14a8qpg.jpg

I'm still convinced she was never capable of coping with The X Factor, let alone this. When this all comes to a head it's going to be horrific.

Whappo
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
SWAGGER JAGGER HATER UPDATE

Apparently it made my mum's cat throw up.

JAE
06-16-2011, 01:29 PM
This whole thing is AMAZING. Best entertainment to come out of X Factor ever.

Whappo
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
It's funny on MULTIPLE LEVELS. My favourites:

- The song is about Cher being a badazz bitch and fighting the haters, and yet her Twitter is evidence that her best defence mechanism is to cry and get a legion of tweens to fight her corner.
- The song is about stealing somebody else's swagger, which Cher CERTAINLY DIDN'T EVER DO by modelling her audition around Keri Hilson or claiming that she "wrote" her "raps" during the live shows or emulating the likes of Cheryl with tattoos.
- "Swagger jagger! You should get some of your own!" Or alternatively you could borrow it from Swedish House Mafia, My Darling Clementine, Pussycat Dolls, Gwen Stefani and every song ever about getting ON THE FLO'UH.

menju56
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Nicola wanted to work with Kate Bush!

Nicola Roberts has revealed that she "begged" her record label for a collaboration with Kate Bush.

The Girls Aloud star, who is gearing up to release her debut album Cinderella's Eyes later this year, said that she was "desperate" to work with the 'Wuthering Heights' singer but her label failed to track her down.

"I wanted Kate Bush," she said in an interview with Digital Spy.

"I don't think anyone knows where she is to be honest. I kept asking and hinting and eventually begging my label for the whole year I was making the album. I was influenced by a lot of her music and was desperate to work with her. As far as I'm aware, nobody could track her down."

Roberts also insisted that she wouldn't collaborate with just one member of Girls Aloud, adding: "I don't think we'd want to leave the other ones out. The rest would be saying, 'Why didn't you choose me?!' We couldn't do that to each other, we're a five."

insanitykun
07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
SMASH HIT OF THE SUMMER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkRprbl62k&feature=youtu.be

Blake
07-01-2011, 10:33 PM
You look like you're having so much fun! My favorite is the Beach Bitch.

Pupate
07-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Have you guys heard the track Nicola released with "Beat Of My Drum"? It's called "Porcelain Heart", and the note she hits toward the end is amazing. It's at around 3:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPPfKqtthM

menju56
07-04-2011, 07:15 PM
So Cher Lloyd has a debut single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbyG2MrBHk

Thoughts?

Whappo
07-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Dying. The video's like the Jedward version of Fight For This Love meets Hold It Against Me. She's basically Cheryl's K-Bork.

insanitykun
07-04-2011, 08:43 PM
All of those pants are unflattering.

menju56
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
It really is quite diabolical isn't it. GIT ON DA FLOAR!

And "she's basically Cheryl's K-Bork" is the best and most perfect description

ebby
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Could be worse though. It could be Brian McFadden

Brian McFadden's ailing career hits new low
The ailing career of ex-Westlife singer Brian McFadden hit a new low yesterday, when less than 100 fans turned up for a gig in Australia.

McFadden’s stock down under has fallen ever since breaking up with the lovely Delta Goodrem (talk about punching above his weight) earlier this year and may have bottomed out at a Melbourne shopping centre yesterday.

McFadden had attempted to drum up support for the gig prior to his performance when he tweeted: “Anyone in Melbourne with nothing to do today? I’m performing in Westfield in Doncaster. I go on at 1.30.”

It seems that people in the city had far better things to do, however, as less than 100 people showed up to witness McFadden perform his set, which included three new songs, including his latest single, the awful ‘Come Party'.

I know you just want to hear the song though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZ9c2Y4PU8

ebby
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Furthermore:

Hacked? Sony Music Ireland website claims members of The Script have died (http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/hacked-sony-music-ireland-website-claims-two-members-of-the-script-have-died-169950-Jul2011/?utm_source=shortlink)

A FEW UNSAVOURY posts that appeared on the website of Sony Music Ireland earlier may indicate that the site has been hacked.

The three stories claimed that two members of Dublin band The Script had taken their own lives following their recent gig at the Aviva Stadium, that scientists have proven that the X-Factor is for the stupid and that Friday singer Rebecca Black has married R. Kelly.

The X-Factor post advises people who watch it that doing so “decreases your Intelligence Quote (sic)” and urges them to better themselves instead of watching “untalented and mediocre karaoke singers”.

The site also claimed that R.Kelly had married YouTube sensation Rebecca Black and signed for Sony’s security team. A representative for Sony’s digital media team was not available for comment this morning.

The Sony Music Ireland site now points directly to the Facebook page, so it’s assumed that the stories are now being removed…not quite quickly enough though:

Screencaps:

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2011/07/scriptcropped-630x387.jpg

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2011/07/kellycropped-630x258.jpg

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2011/07/xfactorcropped-630x312.jpg

menju56
07-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Oh Brian. It outstays its welcome by at least two minutes and includes a nonsensical, pointless, shite rap. Did you hear his 'date rape' song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0K3z_efF-I

ebby
07-05-2011, 01:56 PM
^ I did! It was a classy moment really.

Whappo
07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Isn't Brian also a very vocal homophobe?

Also, 'Come Party' - no. I'd sooner go to Aaron's party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc) than yours, Brian.

Griselda
07-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Thoughts?
Is this unholy childe possessed by D∆MONS? If so, I wish to exorcise her. The proceff will be painful but the wench will fflye to new artiftic heights. We could release the satanic clamour as a darke electroacouftic EP.

JAE
07-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Thoughts?

This is like a new low in British culture. It's what the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony is going to be in my worst nightmares. I bet knobs will buy it though.

other pete
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
It's Oh My Darling Clementine, isn't it? Without a note changed. How odd.

ebby
07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
It's Oh My Darling Clementine, isn't it? Without a note changed. How odd.

I'm hoping radio stations play versions of "Oh My Darling Clemetine" instead.

Whappo
07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnuctgQE8C1qiexdno1_500.jpg

pb
07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Ohhhh, record companies.

1. GOODBYE MR MACKENZIE sign to EMI's Capitol label in 87, who then pass them on to EMI's Parlophone label in 1990. Parlophone then sell the band's contract to RADIOACTIVE/MCA.

2. Radioactive/MCA release a compilation of GBMrMcK singles in USA, Canada, Japan, Europe and Australia. MCA want to drop the MacKenzies, but Radioactive are keen to keep SHIRLEY MANSON as a solo artist. They sign Shirley on a six album solo contract in Feb 1993. Shirley employs the remaining Mackenzies as her backing band and they tour US, Canada, France and Belgium, and releases a 10,000 selling self titled album under the name ANGELFISH. MCA do not realise that they signed the same band twice, one that they want to drop.

4. STEVE MARKER sees "Suffocate Me" on 120 Minutes. VIG and ERIKSON agree that she is what they are looking for to sing on a few tracks. They track Manson down to Edinburgh. She agrees to meet the band in London on April 8th 1994, the day Kurt Cobain's body is found.

5. GARBAGE (well the boys) attend a show at Chicago Metro where Angelfish and Vic Chesnutt are supporting Live, and see her perform. Manson auditions in Steve's house, not good. Manson goes back to finish the tour, but keeps the tapes and begins to like them. On the last day of the tour Angelfish's drummer walks out, Manson gives the guys a call to try again while she's still in the country. Second audition is a success. Manson joins the band full-time. The Mackenzies reform full-time (Angelfish being a side-project to keep making music as far as they are concerned). The Mackenzies have been dropped by Radioactive/MCA and are no longer under contract.

6a. GARBAGE sign with ALMO SOUNDS in December 1994. Part of the contract stipulates that they have a key-man clause enabling them to terminate the deal should JERRY MOSS, co-founder of the label, leave his post. Jerry Moss and Herp Alpert also own A & M RECORDS.
Garbage's Almo Sounds deal covers North America, with Canadian distribution through MCA.

6b. Garbage sign with MUSHROOM RECORDS U.K, a new indie label off-shoot of Mushroom Records in Australia, created by KORDA MARSHALL to export Australian acts to the UK. Garbage are their first major worldwide signing. Mushroom licenses Garbage's work out to major label BMG for distribution outside of the United Kingdom, while the parent label handles Asia and Australian distribution through it's WHITE label, with further distribution through SONY RECORDS. For the release of "Vow", Mushroom create the DISCORDANT label so that Garbage won't be associated with the Neighbours theme tune, which is all Mushroom were known for at the time.

6c. Radioactive are asked to let Manson perform and appear on the debut album "Garbage" and it's associated product. Believing that the record will go nowhere, they loan out Manson's performance and ask for no money, royalties or fees.

(Complicated? It gets worse later on)

7. "Garbage", the debut album sells 4 million copies around the world, while Garbage, Mushroom and Almo cash in on the inclusion and subsequent hit "#1 Crush" on the 10 million + selling Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. Radioactive, understandably keen to cash in on Garbage, without the need to spend a dime on the group, negotiate 25% of the takings of the sales of "Version 2.0" and its associated product. This agreement is signed with Almo Sounds. Part of the agreement means that Radioactive have to be consulted upon the release of any new single or product featuring Shirley Manson. Both Mushroom and BMG choose to not enter into the agreement.

8. Almo Sounds enter into a distribution partnership with UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP's INTERSCOPE label. "Version 2,0" is the first release to be distributed under this agreement. At the same time, Moss and Alpert sell their A & M label to UMG, who keep the strong brand name, but effectively close it down and transfer it's acts onto other labels (such as Mercury and ISLAND). At some point in 1998, UMG also purchase RADIOACTIVE (and already own MCA).
"Version 2.0". As for Mushroom Records UK, Garbage are absorbed into the main MUSHROOM RECORDS INTERNATIONAL label in Australia, which is subsequently bought by NEWS CORP and merged into Festival records, becoming FESTIVAL MUSHROOM RECORDS.

9. RADIOACTIVE, and ISLAND RECORDS sue Mushroom and BMG for releasing product with Shirley Manson's performance. The outcome of this trial has never been confirmed. Radioactive claim to be interested in a solo album from Manson, but are keen to wait on "Version 2.0" to end it's sales run before talking business.

10. GARBAGE are recruited to perform "The World Is Not Enough" Bond theme. Mushroom licenses Garbage to Radioactive, Island and UMG for the soundtrack and single, while Manson is already their artist keeping things simple.

11. ALMO SOUNDS is sold to UMG who disband the label, which causes a hold up on both Garbage's planned B-sides and Remixes album, and Version 2.0 era video/DVD. Garbage invoke their key-man clause, while UMG refuse claiming Moss is still on the UMG payroll and therefore technically hasn't left. UMG then try to enforce Manson's contract with RADIOACTIVE, wanting a solo album from her before Garbage can go anywhere. UMG then refuse Manson permission to perform with Moby and (some other artist can't recall who). Garbage sue at the beginning of 2001.

12. The case is settled by July 2001 out-of-court. The details are kept confidential, Garbage remain on UMG but the "beautifulgarbage" album and product is released on INTERSCOPE and ALMO. Manson remains a UMG artist. UMG also receive licensing to market Garbage across South America, while Mushroom UK licenses Garbage out to [PIAS] in Europe, BMG in Russia and in Australia, Garbage are now a fully FESTIVAL MUSHROOM act, with Asian and Japanese releases licensed to SONY MUSIC INT'L. "beautifulgarbage" struggles in all major markets, except Australia, but is a success in most minor markets. Festival Mushroom begins the sale of it's UK label to WARNER MUSIC UK and "beautifulgarbage" slips through the cracks. A live DVD (Live at the Eagle's Ballroom) goes unreleased.

13. Beginning 2003, Warner Music owns Garbage and all Mushroom UK acts, and the rights to distribute Garbage worldwide (except North America and Australia). In 2004, GARBAGE are shifted across UMG to the GEFFEN label, which has been gaining strength in recent years following years of INTERSCOPE's dominance. For some reason the ALMO imprint is used alongside GEFFEN.

14. FESTIVAL MUSHROOM is sold to WARNER MUSIC, meaning Garbage is no longer on an independent label anywhere in the world. In 2007, "Absolute Garbage" is released, and in North America through GEFFEN and UMe, Universal's back-catologue label.

So!

As it stands - GARBAGE are currently signed to GEFFEN (as part of UMG) for North America and to WARNER MUSIC everywhere else.

SHIRLEY MANSON is still signed to RADIOACTIVE (UMG) on a six album deal. Unless they have dropped her, she will [ probably not] release her album on UMG's labels worldwide (most likely Island in the UK). It is UMG who have the problem with her music, I can imagine they are holding out for a second Gwen Stefani on their books to fill in when she is off making babies.

ebby
07-06-2011, 02:22 PM
The world needs more electro-Nuns, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uvZPIE6f-s
Among the sea of sound-a-like private-pressed Catholic lps that came out in the 1960's and 1970's, Sister Irene O'Connor's 1976 album stands out with its primitive drum machine and spooky, echo-laden vocals. Released in 1976 on the 'Alba House' label, the dual-titled Fire of God's Love/Songs to Ignite The Spirit lp features several haunting and remarkable songs...

ebby
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Random music thoughts on an Adele Theme:

Adele's 21 is this generation's Damien Rice's O. (I would also argue that Damien Rice was his generation's Alanis JLP, or Tracy Chapman's s/t debut - songs that are bloody well written, but all emotional and "from the heart" and manage to capture the wider public against all expectations and become completely unavoidable as you go about your daily life)

Also, it has struck me on more than one occasion that the singles off 21 (at least) would be really awesome country songs. I want a tribute act called Dollydele to do Country versions of them all. Preferably just accompanied by Banjo. That would make me smile.

ebby
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Adele's 21 is this generation's Damien Rice's O. (I would also argue that Damien Rice was his generation's Alanis JLP, or Tracy Chapman's s/t debut - songs that are bloody well written, but all emotional and "from the heart" and manage to capture the wider public against all expectations and become completely unavoidable as you go about your daily life)

Also, it has struck me on more than one occasion that the singles off 21 (at least) would be really awesome country songs. I want a tribute act called Dollydele to do Country versions of them all. Preferably just accompanied by Banjo. That would make me smile.

other pete
07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
The world needs more electro-Nuns, really.

Utterly brilliant - that track reminds me of some of Stina Nordenstam's brighter lo-fi moments, if she was drunk, but then the rest, just, a m a z i n g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXiK-qX3As&feature=player_embedded#at=53

Cairn
07-16-2011, 11:11 AM
LOVE. Will have to track that down.

clarion
07-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Mass Emmanuel is fantastic.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo8pmtVzyK1qd50vc.jpg

I WAS INTO PROTO-ELECTRO CATHOLIC MINIMALISM BEFORE IT WAS COOL.

JAE
07-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Yeah I would go along with that assessment. I still love Rolling In The Deep, but if I have to hear another Adele ballad on the radio, a TV show or advert I'm going to rip my ears off.

betterthanfine
07-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Very true! Album track Don't You Remember is actually pretty much straight up country, and was co-written by Dixie Chicks-collaborator Dan Wilson, as was Someone Like You. The latter could be the new I Will Always Love You if done with some banjos and fiddles!

Whappo
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
The new Foster The People video is AMAZING. (http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/foster-the-people-kids-go-wild-in-helena-beat-20110718)

menju56
07-19-2011, 11:32 AM
2011 Mercury Music Prize shortlist (http://www.mercuryprize.com/aoty/shortlist.php?Year=2011)

Metronomy The English Riviera
Adele 21
Everything Everything Man Alive
Ghostpoet Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam
Anna Calvi Anna Calvi
Tinie Tempah Disc-Overy
Elbow Build A Rocket Boys!
Gwilym Simcock Good Days at Schloss Elmau
James Blake James Blake
PJ Harvey Let England Shake
Katy B On A Mission
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins Diamond Mine

It will be awarded in September.

insanitykun
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
ANYTHING BUT ADELE.

I love Katy B, but god On A Mission is mediocre. and Anna Calvi is like wallpaper to my ears.

Whappo
07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
2011 Mercury Music Prize shortlist (http://www.mercuryprize.com/aoty/shortlist.php?Year=2011)

Metronomy The English Riviera
Friendly Fires Pala
Jamie Woon Mirrorwriting
Wild Beasts Smother
Patrick Wolf Lupercalia
Nicola Roberts Beat of My Drum

It will be awarded in September.
FIFY, Barclaycard.

other pete
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Olivia Newton John Junior makes blatant attempt to steal mother's fan base

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYou42GVpRQ&feature=player_embedded

A: Sample lyric: "I'm so lovely, Look at me, Look at me" [slashes wrists]
B: Pete Burns
C: She is suffering and HE IS ON THE TOILET, OBLIVIOUS
D: See A and B
E: Ruh-roh? OR actually good in a post-Peaches world?

I'm shaken and bewidlered. It's like siamrooT on meth.

insanitykun
07-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Girl, you missed the "shrieking industrial girl" scene by a good decade :(.

See also: Snake River Conspiracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qETuUlkFKoU

menju56
07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Steps are coming back

Steps are to reunite for a four-part documentary series on Sky Living later this year, it has been revealed.

The pop group, who disbanded in 2001, will get back together for the ITV Studios series, which will document what the five members have been up to and what may come next following the release of their Ultimate Collection.

The group, made up of Claire Richards, Lisa Scott-Lee, Ian 'H' Watkins, Lee Latchford-Evans and Faye Tozer, will discuss the reasons behind their split ten years ago, and will also plan a possible re-launch in a recording studio.

ITV Studios Creative Director Michael Kelpie said: "Steps came, they entertained and then went their separate ways. Their split was acrimonious, messy and played out on the front pages of the national newspapers.

"This documentary series reveals the truths behind the polished pop faÁade that led to the break-up of one of the most successful pop acts in the UK.

"Steps will face their demons as they try to rebuild both personal and working relationships. It will undoubtedly be explosive viewing."

Sky's Head of Factual Entertainment Mark Sammon added: "We'll document the in-fighting, jealousy and power struggles - it's not the sugar-coated Steps we all remember.

"I'm delighted this British pop phenomenon has given us access to their stories. And we can expect tears and dramatic confrontation as they attempt to put the past behind them and re-launch Steps ten years on from their split."

Steps sold more than 15 million records in their four-and-a-half-year career and scored 14 consecutive top five singles including 'One for Sorrow', 'Deeper Shade of Blue' and the platinum-selling 'Heartbeat/Tragedy'.

Claire Richards said that a Steps reunion would be a "silly" idea last month. The group had been rumoured to perform a one-off charity reunion concert earlier this year.

JAE
07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
They're about 8 years too early for a late-90s revival.

Yuki
07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
If S Club 7 were to get back together, I would literally die.

howieD
07-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Step UP, Claire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lONJGDN356c

Morgan
07-26-2011, 07:49 AM
God I wish David Byrne would get his head out of his ass and get Talking Heads back together.

coronaradiata
07-28-2011, 04:55 AM
why am I only just discovering Anna Calvi?

Octopussy
07-30-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised Anna Calvi was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize, her album isn't that great IMO and I generally like her kind of music (the PJ Harvey-ripoff subgenre)

other pete
07-30-2011, 09:58 PM
So almost exactly twenty years ago T'Pau's final single got a chart placing of #174. I was probably the only person on the planet to buy it on all 4 formats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDa-0Pu0Uc

And then drunktweeting one night last week, this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6015/5965490142_b39fe3d5ee.jpg

The Future turns out to be amazing, in some ways.

ebby
07-30-2011, 10:09 PM
^ this is why twitter is awesome.

Whappo
08-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Speaking of!

My aunt went to Rewind Scotland this weekend. She saw T'Pau, Go West, ABC, Tony Hadley, Bananarama, Rick Astley, etc. - I am seething with jealousy.

Canoodlefish
08-01-2011, 01:27 AM
The album version did nothing for me, but this live one, movement and all, did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-V7cXEddJs

Scottish Mike
08-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Empire of the Sun's self titled album is the perfect soundtrack to a balmy sticky summer [post28]

Jonathan
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
why am I only just discovering Anna Calvi?

I'm surprised Anna Calvi was nominated for a Mercury Music Prize, her album isn't that great IMO and I generally like her kind of music (the PJ Harvey-ripoff subgenre)

I'm really not sure why Anna's being branded as a PJ-ripoff, really. Singer-songwriter with balls and themes of, um, womanly manliness and sensuality does not always = PJ. But that's just me - I greatly enjoy her debut, and I'm really intrigued to find out which direction she'll take for her future records.

Buelis
08-02-2011, 02:33 AM
It's unfair that Anna Calvi is relegated to the status of PJ ripoff - she's not a PJ ripoff any more than PJ is a Patti Smith ripoff. That being said, I don't find her music all that interesting and the vocal style puts me off.

menju56
08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Guess what's heading for UK No.1 this week, everyone?

I think you'll like it...

Not here

Just kicking the suspense up a notch

Nearly there...

THERE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbyG2MrBHk&ob=av3e

Whappo
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
A NATION'S SHAME.

Honestly, there's just too much fuckery going on right now. Stop the world, I want to get off.

sleepy river
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Laura Marling's music is horrible.

C33
08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Guess what's heading for UK No.1 this week, everyone?

I think you'll like it...

Not here

Just kicking the suspense up a notch

Nearly there...

THERE!!

;l wow.

beanstew
08-02-2011, 10:06 PM
OMFG what is that?

C33
08-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Avril Lavigne brought her 'A' Game to AOL. She sounds real good. *props*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobX6aQFahU

other pete
08-04-2011, 09:12 PM

URGENT MASHUP NEEDED KLAXON:

"Git on the flaw! Git on the Flaw! "
"Keep yer 'ands off others' moolies, for it is against the law"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRa_ZoOX24

Hannah.
08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Avril Lavigne brought her 'A' Game to AOL. She sounds real good. *props*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YobX6aQFahU

She was pretty much my idol in the 4th grade. Nice to see she hasn't changed at all since 2002. ;l

Whappo
08-04-2011, 10:09 PM
New Jens Lekman, in which he has an argument with himself (http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Jens%20Lekman%20-%20An%20Argument%20With%20Myself.mp3). And there's a spoken word bit. Mental and quite good.

menju56
08-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I like!

Pupate
08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
She was pretty much my idol in the 4th grade. Nice to see she hasn't changed at all since 2002. ;l

I do honestly wonder when she'll grow up even just a tiny bit. I find it really hard to believe that she's 26 and not 17. Also, what was up with that censoring?

howieD
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
This is pretty funky. Definitely not a word I ever thought I'd use in reference to Amyescence.

But yeah, funky. I dig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbPtsckgswk

Whappo
08-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Wha-ooh-ooh-WHA
Wha-ooh-ooh-WHA
Wha-ooh-ooh-WHA

I have spent basically all week sleep-deprived and dancing to Midnight City by M83 like Romy & Michele at the prom/Gob's chicken dance. CEETY IS MAH CHUUURCH.

insanitykun
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM
YES. Super addicted. I'm so excited for the double album.

In other Thoughts, how fucking good is the most recent Good Natured single? ~rip it all off SO HOT don't stop~ etc.

menju56
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
New Nicola Roberts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN39CQW3Tqw&feature=player_embedded

Whappo
08-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Jesus fucking Christ this album should be bloody amazing. Mwah mwah mwah mwaaaaah.

insanitykun
08-12-2011, 11:13 PM
HOW DARE NICOLA HANG OUT ON ST MARKS AND NOT INVITE ME

Whappo
08-13-2011, 08:52 AM
You have to admire the way that the Wand Erection debut single brazenly nabs stuff from Grease, Glee, High School Musical, and about 5 different pop songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpnuubCJjCU

There have to be about 20 plagiarism claims waiting in the wings on this one.

And if their biggest rivals are going to be The Wanted, I'm just sad Smash Hits isn't still around to have them all pose in homoerotic Greco-Roman wrestling poses "for the lulz."

ALSO, speaking of The Wanted, are these the worst lyrics by a boy band ever? I can't stop thinking about how awful they are.

You cast a spell on me, spell on me
You hit me like the sky fell on me, fell on me
And I decided you look well on me, well on me
So let's go somewhere no-one else can see, you and me

Turn the lights out now
Now I'll take you by the hand
Hand you another drink
Drink it if you can
AAAAAARRRRRGH.

And that's the word on UK boy bands for the day. Now over to Nadia Oh with the weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpVWDkedtrY

C33
08-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I like the Nicola Roberts song above.. never heard of her before. She forgot to wear her pants to the video, though.

This is what Demi Lovato's Skyscraper wishes it could be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb6mS6Yj_UA

Pupate
08-13-2011, 11:49 PM
I like the song, but the music video for "Lucky Day" is a tad boring, I think. I love the part from 1:45 to 1:55, though.

waitressboy
08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Laura Marling's music is horrible.

Amen.

And I love this song, so probably you'll think my opinion about Marling is crap jajajajaja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxEVPe7XMcs&ob=av2e

But I think it's an excellent song.

C33
08-14-2011, 02:53 AM
After listening to the David Guetta & Sia song more.. while I think it's decent.. it could've been better. The treble-heavy chorus is stimulation overload. And while I like a few David Guetta tracks, most of what I've heard from him is generic and overrated.

marci
08-14-2011, 03:15 AM
I just discovered Anna von Hausswolff and felt compelled to share. She's so good! I found her name in an interview and looked her up. I don't think she is well known outside Sweden and has played a handful of large European festivals lately. Her EP was release in March and album in May.

Her Facebook page has under 3,000 fans and is streaming a few songs. I think Pills is my current favorite, but here's another lovely one with a long piano intro. <3

http://vimeo.com/18563187

Zach
08-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow! What a powerful voice. That video had me captivated. I'm listening to the album for a second time now (I found a widget on this page (http://listenseefeel.blogspot.com/2010/12/anna-von-hausswolff-singing-from-grave.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ListenSeeFeel+%28Listen%2C+See%2C+Feel%29)). I really like how a lot of the songs veer off in a surprising way during their second halves.

Also while I was poking about, I found this:

http://vimeo.com/25206231

I thought at first it was gonna be a carbon copy of the original, then the sound really opens up around 1:10 and she turns on the rough/soulful voice, and the last 20 seconds just soar.

talkingtadpole
08-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I just discovered Anna von Hausswolff and felt compelled to share. She's so good! I found her name in an interview and looked her up. I don't think she is well known outside Sweden and has played a handful of large European festivals lately. Her EP was release in March and album in May.

Her Facebook page has under 3,000 fans and is streaming a few songs. I think Pills is my current favorite, but here's another lovely one with a long piano intro. <3

You've inspired me to check her out! The Book is just mindblowing! Definitely the most promising piano-based songwriting I've heard in a long, long time.

marci
08-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Oh good, I'm happy to hear that! I knew I stumbled upon something really great only about 30 seconds through the first song I heard. I think that says a lot. I sure hope her popularity grows!

I'm not too familiar with Joanna Newsom's work, but I love what she did with that song, which is originally very simplistic and stripped down.

waitressboy
08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Well, now that we're in the mood for Scandinavian girls, I'll share a bunch of girls that I like a lot and I think some of you would like too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBdQgGWVkTw
Ok, well, yeah, she's not Scandinavian, she's from Poland, but anyway. Julia Marcell, one EP (Storm, that includes "Jack the ripoff" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8CLToHwHIs), a very smart song about the karma of being a females singer with a piano and the inevitable comparisons with Tori and Kate and Regina), one cd (It Might Like You, and probably it will) and another one that'll be released on a couple months I think and it seems that it's going to be more electronic and less organic that the previous one (the first single is "Matrioszka" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTz0EXNiIHE)).
And "Billy Elliot" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxmJq4AgIdY&feature=related) is a beautiful song, one of my fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MrOC8mwGE
Ingrid Olava is Scandinavian, she's from Norway and she's so beautiful I would become straight. She has two cds, Juliet's Wishes (the first one, it's good) and The Guest (this album blows my mind everytime I play it). I put the video of "The guest" though it's not a song that represents her work; the true is that I couldn't find a video for "The Queen", for instance.. Though she's so goddam beautiful on the video... Anyway, the album is full of amaxing songs, like "Won't be silenced" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laJgLXbfTPA) or "I was wrong" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxUux_ZayxQ&feature=related).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBJ0QQ4dak&feature=related
Somebody recommended a few months ago the album of Rebekka Karijord saying that it sounded like Paula Cole. I've listening this album on repeat so much that my sister knows the songs. When you play the cd for the first time, you have the strange feeling that you've known all these songs for your whole life. The best song is "This anarchistic heart" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfaceND4yB8) IMO; I could listen to that chorus my whole life. She released a previous album under the name Rebekka & The Mysterybox, but I couldn't find that one, all I've heard are a bunch of songs on YouTube like "Machine" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pK8mDxBoc&feature=related).
A couple weeks ago was my birthday and the postman came to my house and gave me The Noble Art Of Letting Go (the album of Rebekka). I thought it was weird, coz I hadn't buy it. Then my best friend told me he had found it on eBay.co.uk and bought it for me. (it's totally off topic, but I thought it was sweet)

I just downloaded the cd of Anna von Hausswolff, I'll listen to it a couple of times and I'll tell you my opinion.

ebby
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Someone I follow on twitter just posted this:

Katy Perry is the first female artist in history to have five #1 singles off one album. The terrorists have won.

Whappo
08-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Whether I like the album or not (I kind of do!), I'm actually pleased by the success of the Teenage Dream album campaign. It's gone on for over a year now! 5 singles, each with a video! One of the singles with an added guest rap! "Celebrity" guests!

The fact that she's the first female artist in history (erm, history since the billboard charts came into play) to have five #1 singles off one album says less about modern taste and more about the fact that lengthy album campaigns can still exist and that - shock horror - pop albums can and are still released where there's more single material than there is filler. All of the singles have been good for what they are.

I mean we can whine and moan about how REAL MUSIC(tm) doesn't enjoy such prolonged commercial success, but actually, no. The Wild Beasts album, for instance, is awesome, but I'm not sure I want to live in a world where it produces five hit singles - it's not that kind of record. Stuff like Katy, Gaga, Britney, mainstream pop/r'n'b/rock - those are the kind of records that are made for drawn out promotion and a string of singles.

And when it comes down to it don't we all sometimes feel like plastic bags? Don't we all appreciate the finer things in life: bikinis, martinis, zucchinis, no weanies, blinis, beanies, Kings and Queenies?

ebby
08-17-2011, 04:43 PM
(I should have mentioned that the guy who posted that is a Katy Perry fan and was being very much tongue-in-chic)

But yeah, you make excellent points about her pretty fantastic album marketing campaign, which has been brilliant. Really brilliant. It's interesting that despite the huge Gaga-love, it's Katy Perry who has snuck in under that, with a less serious overall image and much less pretention, and hit that record.

menju56
08-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Forget Katy Perry, Doris Day is where it's at

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/16/1313516186800/Portrait-Of-Doris-Day-004.jpg

Doris Day, the US singer who scored her first chart hit in 1945, has announced a musical comeback at the age of 87. The Hollywood star, famed for playing sassy yet clean-cut all-American girls in the Fifties, is releasing her first new album in nearly two decades.

Day, who enjoyed a hugely succesful singing career alongside box-office hits such as Pillow Talk - which won the Best Writing Oscar and earned her a nomination as Best Actress - has not performed for more than 25 years. My Heart, out next month, is a compilation of previously unreleased recordings originally produced by her son, Terry Melcher, who died in 2004.

Her first album of new material in 17 years includes such tracks as "You Are So Beautiful (To Me)," a Seventies hit for Joe Cocker. "I had to sing some modern songs because I had already done all the old ones," said Day, who lives in Carmel, California.

Melcher, who co-wrote the hit "Move Over, Darling" - the theme song to the 1963 hit film in which she starred with James Garner - encouraged Day to pursue an unlikely West Coast rock direction, recording songs by the Lovin' Spoonful and The Beach Boys, which are included on the record. Most of the unreleased recordings date back to the Eighties but she has added a spoken introduction to "Happy Endings", written and performed by Melcher, an acclaimed song-writer and producer who worked with The Byrds. The actress, whose hits included "Whatever Will Be, Will Be ( Que Sera, Sera)", now limits her public performances to recording messages for her fan website.

Sony Music is hoping that Day's album, which has been playlisted by Radio 2, will match the success of Britain's Dame Vera Lynn, who became the oldest-living chart-topper in 2009, at 92.

Canoodlefish
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Is this ever big in the West, and should someone make an international act thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7fdSkp8ds

And an awesome choreographic copy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniPZTtSHXU

ebby
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I only know that song from whataboutadam who did an awesome ukulele cover of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3GVPs0h-Y

Canoodlefish
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I only know that song from whataboutadam who did an awesome ukulele cover of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3GVPs0h-Y

OMG they even did it in Korean!! <3

ebby
08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
^ I know! I love them both for that.

baronette
08-21-2011, 11:35 PM
I was quite chuffed and surprised today to find that the iTunes Store was giving me 90 SECOND clips! Is this happening everywhere? I'm late for the news wagon on this?!

Pupate
08-22-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it's been like that since around last November. You learn something new every day!

baronette
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Good heavens. The Australian store must have been a bit behind with that!

menju56
08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
It's coming.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51epIQZu8OL._SS500_.jpg

And not only that. A two-disc deluxe edition is also coming. October 10th.

menju56
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Guardian article on the tenth anniversary of Aaliyah's death

It's 10 years to the day since we lost Aaliyah. The singer was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas aged 22, on her way home from filming the music video for her single Rock the Boat. Her death seemed all the more tragic for the fact that Aaliyah was pushing a minimalist and futuristic sound that far surpassed anything she – or her peers – had done before.

Her third, eponymous album came out a month before she died, but if it was released today it would still sound startlingly fresh. Producer Timbaland hasn't come close to creating anything as sonically stunning since, although it's likely his success on this record was responsible for the commercial peaks he reached with Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado. From We Need a Resolution's odd, skittish argument with a bad boyfriend to the gentle soul of I Care 4 U, it's pop music in a different league, as playful as it is inventive.

As friends and fans tweet tributes today, linking to videos of tracks that meant the most to them, it's remarkable not only that few chose the same song, but also how different and complex each track is. The music was rarely smooth – famously, Timbaland makes use of a baby's cry for the percussive drive of Are U That Somebody?. Such starkness has had a lasting and far-reaching effect on music – not just shaping the direction of singers such as Cassie and Ciara but also reaching out to everyone from Dirty Projectors to the xx to Gossip.

Even 10 years after her death, the feeling that, were she still alive, Aaliyah would still be releasing remarkable music, has not yet subsided, and maybe it never will.

Gale
08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Everytime I hear an Aaliyah song, I realize that her music doesn't really age. Many of the songs mentioned in the above article could easily re-enter the music charts at any time.

insanitykun
08-26-2011, 02:40 AM
The Fenech-Soler album is still so fucking good.

Whappo
08-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Musical motifs of Andrew's life! I bought this album in London (Piccadilly Circus, even) when I visited London for the first time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cGiOU7JsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It quickly became one of my favourites. Yeah Yeah Yeahs albums have always come out at the 'right' time for me, but Fever To Tell flicked a switch in me. A sexy ugly switch! It promised me an attitude and a sexuality that I wanted so badly, and I'd listen to it every evening when I got home from school, holed up in my room and thinking that this must be what it feels like to be a sexy rocker who rocks out. I fancied Nick Zinner and I warshipped Karen O. Similarly, I dreamt of BIG CITY LIFE and how amazing London was and how one day I would study there. (I didn't in the end, though I considered it)

Well now it is 8 years later, world, and I am preparing to study in London, have staked my claim on the land of sexiness, and still know all the words and sex noises to Fever To Tell. Well done, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, it's as exciting as it ever was.

marci
08-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Lovely write-up! You're right, that album is the epitome of sexy ugly! I was introduced to the album by one of my best friends who was visiting from London. We listened to it most of the time when we drove around town.. windows down.. blaring. :)

Canoodlefish
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I will never forget this performance from Letterman because it was so OTT, in a good way of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybsgLX4ynQ

just owls
08-27-2011, 09:14 PM

http://vimeo.com/18563187

Her album is all I've been listening to for the last few days. Thank you again for the recommendation! The Book is my favorite right now, especially toward the end. But every song is a keeper.