PDA

View Full Version : How do you discover new music?

red_talula
07-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Back in the day before the Internet was everywhere I used to read music magazines religiously and used reviews and interviews with artists as a compass for trying out new stuff. It struck me the other day how now I can't even remember when the last time was that I picked up a magazine off the rack to even flick through it! Instead I seem to find most of my new favourite artists either by someone mentioning the name online and then I go and check it out on YouTube or I come across it on Last.fm or Spotify as a recommendation based on music I'm already listening to. Most of my friends are into different genres to me anyway so I never really get recommendations from them.

How do you guys find new music? Recommendations, blogs, YouTube, forums, magazines...? Do you find that your habits have changed a lot over time as well?

eresos
07-25-2010, 01:11 PM
so true. i used to use music magazines all the time and friends and sometimes 120 minutes.

but now its all the internet, sometimes friends but not many of my friends are still into music like i am. so it usually like you mentioned - and especially reading stuff here from you guys.

Whappo
07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
OMA, lurking on other boards, stalking people on last.fm, listening to the radio (old skool!), keeping an eagle eye on leak blogs and investigating stuff. I suppose stuff like P4K and Stereogum sometimes have an influence on me, but it's getting rarer and rarer. I've generally heard what I'm interested in by the time they've reviewed it these days, and my eyes tend to glaze over when I read the wordy or just plain bad features.

Used to love 120 minutes for discovering new stuff. Eventually it started to get replaced by shittier versions here, like 120 nu metal minutes or 120 my chemical romance minutes or whatever.

eta: I don't think OMA here has reached its 'discovering new artists' potential yet because everyone's busy establishing threads for the more popular artists we feel the need to build foundations around.

red_talula
07-25-2010, 02:54 PM
listening to the radio (old skool!)

I remember when I was about 10 or so (mid-90s) when I'd sit and listen to the radio for hours waiting to catch that one song I wanted to record with my tape recorder. Memories! These days things all I seem to listen to in terms of radio is podcasts of shows already broadcast as I can never remember when shows are on plus I like listening to the programmes when I want like when out for a walk, on the bus, etc.

eta: I don't think OMA here has reached its 'discovering new artists' potential yet because everyone's busy establishing threads for the more popular artists we feel the need to build foundations around.
Yeah I agree, but like you say, it's still a young forum. I used to go back and read a lot of old threads on @ as there was so much there in terms of archived stuff from the past 10 years.

Homogenik
07-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I like to browse Pitchfork's end of the year lists.

Lathan
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
I do go through people's OMA lists and do my own "If I like this, maybe I'll like this" and sample. Sometimes friends mention that I'll like something.

Whenever I see a free sampler (from magazines, record companies, etc.) I'll listen and see if anything grabs me.

sarahcryst
07-25-2010, 11:12 PM
A few ways:

- Doing Google News searches for some of my favorite artists. You'll often find reviews of albums that compare people to them.
- Mailing lists. Or, really, just the Ecto mailing list.
- Artists others are fans of. If I like someone's writing, for instance, it's a good chance we'll have other things in common too. Even, say, a book reviewer will often occasionally mention musicians.
- Amazon recommendations -- they're surprisingly good, if WTF-worthy at times.
- Pandora and last.fm, a tiny bit. After a while, they start to repeat the same people over and over.
- Other people's best-of-the-year lists.
- A select few music blogs and sites. I don't usually share the same taste as Pitchfork and the like, even if they overlap at times.

Cunter Fartlett
07-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Used to be music magazines and college radio. Now it's OMA, Last.fm, Pandora and recommendations from friends.

Corey Haim
07-28-2010, 12:18 AM
i ask people, whether it's coworkers, classmates or professors, what they listen to. and i try stuff i read about in magazines. as well as online.

Cuddlefish
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Back in high school, it was music magazines, Fuse TV, my dad (the most eclectic musical taste EVER), aaaand...the library! We had a library right next a Krispy Kreme, which was awesome. But at that library I discovered a lot of music I wouldn't have otherwise: Bjork, Secret Machines, Flaming Lips, The Strokes, and a bunch of world music. Granted those are all pretty big names now, but in school nobody knew who the hell Bjork is. It's better nowadays, ha.

MrQuin
07-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Magazines (Q, NME etc.), websites (music-news.com etc.), Spotify, Youtube... the flood of new music is overwhelming these days. Back in the 90's I used to hang out at record stores and browse though the news letters from record companies, also certain radio programs were important for finding new music back then. I rarely listen to the radio any more.

Stone
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Mostly friends' recommendations.

Whappo
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I should add that another way I find new stuff is by doing what I'm doing this afternoon - killing time wandering around the Boomkat (http://boomkat.com/) catalogue. Great selection of stuff and awesome recommendations.

beanstew
07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
A few ways:

- Mailing lists. Or, really, just the Ecto mailing list.

I've been lurking on Ecto for years. I've got so many great recommendations from there.

May H
07-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Any way I can: using the "similar artist" feature on last.fm or looking at the last.fm profiles of people with similar tastes; during the time I had a Livejournal, from the "now playing" songs mentioned on friends' journals; songs "liked" on friends' Facebook pages; songs mentioned in forums such as this one; mixtapes or fanmixes uploaded by random people (one of my favourite ways; I find it easier to like a particular song by an artist new to me than a whole album at once, especially when it's connected to a fandom or to a particular concept, like "summer rain".) Sometimes from reviews in newspapers; I first heard of the Decemberists from a newspaper review which quoted the first few lines of The Mariner's Revenge Song, and I knew I was going to love it. Also, my real life friends; they all have tastes different than mine, but overlapping at least a bit, and my taste is very eclectic. Songs used in commercials and TV shows. In short, almost all possible ways except for the radio -- I very rarely listen to the radio.

red_talula
07-28-2010, 07:08 PM
mixtapes or fanmixes uploaded by random people (one of my favourite ways; I find it easier to like a particular song by an artist new to me than a whole album at once, especially when it's connected to a fandom or to a particular concept, like "summer rain".).
I was pretty big on fanmixes for a while, I've found so many songs there that I liked and then months later I've decided to check out the album it's from and got hooked on artists that way. Livejournal used to be great for me to find new stuff before I discovered Last.fm.

zikmu
08-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Back in the nineties it was all about MTV and VH1 for me... but now internet is the main source. I usually look for new stuff on this forum, youtube, p4k, stereogum, gorilla vs bear etc.

blissgurl
08-03-2010, 03:37 AM
In the nineties I got into artists from many different sources : friends (that's how I got into Tori), the radio, MTV, and a shitload of music magazines, including Spin & Alternative Press. Nowadays I discover "new" music mostly by recommendations on Itunes and from Paste Magazine which has a music sampler included with it every issue (which you can also get online). Occasionally friends will recommend someone or some band to me, but not so much anymore.

emptytuileries
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
OMA and random blogs. http://www.catch-fire.com is a good one.

waitressboy
08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I can't ask my friends for new music because... well, actually they ask ME for new music. Been looking fow new good music actively for like ten years. Living in a shitty country like Argentina, artists like Aimee Mann are a huge and beautiful surprise (yes, she's totally unknown here. she so unknown that last year she came to play... at a jazz festival. literaly). So for me it's easier to find new music, cause there's a lot of artist that I have no idea they exist, and probably all of you already know them. So this forum is a good place to find new good stuff.
Pitchfork is relatively useful. They tend to be so snob that nowadays I try to listen the albums with the lowest ratings.

But what I use the most are blogs and Last.fm.
And I have a really stupid but effective method.
If I like the cover of the album, I'll download it. (well, that's how I met Tori).
With the male singers, if I find him HOT, I'll download it. (Jon McLaughlin & Howie Day ehem).
And that really works.

Whappo
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Pitchfork is relatively useful. They tend to be so snob that nowadays I try to listen the albums with the lowest ratings.
http://soxblog.mlblogs.com/bizarro.jpg