PDA

View Full Version : Listening Party: Patrick Wolf - The Bachelor - September 7th. 11GMT / 7 EST

ebby
08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
As voted for by: HumptyDumpty, darwin, Tellurium, menju56, and myself.

http://www.thecoldcut.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/the-bachelor.jpg

Originally part of a double album entitled Battle, it was split into two releases: The Bachelor and The Conqueror. Speaking of the decision to split the release into two albums rather than the double album, Wolf expressed the desire "not to overload people with too much". He has since suggested that while The Bachelor was practically finished, he felt that there were still "a couple of songs or stories to be written for the second part".

Guest musicians on The Bachelor include Atari Teenage Riot's Alec Empire (Vulture, Battle), actress Tilda Swinton (Oblivion, Thickets, Theseus), folk musician Eliza Carthy (The Bachelor) and avant-garde electronic pioneer Matthew Herbert (Who Will?).

Kriegspiel
Hard Times
Oblivion (featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope")
The Bachelor (featuring Eliza Carthy)
Damaris
Thickets (featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope")
Count of Casualty
Who Will?
Vulture
Blackdown
The Sun Is Often Out
Theseus (featuring Tilda Swinton as "The Voice of Hope")
Battle
The Messenger

Jonathan
08-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll be joining in! :)

annaybunny
08-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh my gosh yes. I will try my very best to be here. :)

Spikey
08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Will try to join as well.

arsonist samael
08-21-2010, 07:09 PM
I'll try as well. I only know Wind In The Wires and Lycanthropy.

ebby
08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Awesome.

What day would suit people? I'm crazy busy the next week or two, but Tuesdays and Thursdays are usually good for me, or Sat/Sunday.

Jonathan
08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd be up for Tuesday night, sure. :)

annaybunny
08-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Pretty much any day this week is good for me, but I'm more likely to be available during the day than in the evening. (I'm on the west coast.)

vioflex
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
I have absolutely no idea of how to convert my available hours into GMT to find out, but if I happen to catch it while it's going on, I'll join in. This album is perfect.

ebby
08-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I have absolutely no idea of how to convert my available hours into GMT to find out, but if I happen to catch it while it's going on, I'll join in. This album is perfect.

Google is your friend ;) there's loads of sites out there where you can put in what time it is where you are and find out what time it is anywhere else around the world.

edit: here's one handy one anyways: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter.htm or this one: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

menju56
08-22-2010, 06:32 PM

I know, the whole time zones thing is confusing! But I like that we have people across continents listening at the same time. 11pm GMT, which is when we usually do them, is three and a half hours from now.

Spikey
08-22-2010, 07:23 PM
23:00 hours is usually good for me! Nice.

schitzonicsox
08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
If it's Tuesday, I'll join in.

ebby
08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
So, is Tuesday next suiting people, circa 11pm GMT (well, technically BST, but y'know.) ? Or put it off a week from next Tuesday?

Tellurium
08-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Tuesday next, 11 pm works fine for me. :)

schitzonicsox
08-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Is this happening Tuesday? Any chance of of Wednesday or Friday instead?

ebby
08-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh, shite. I've been up to my eyes. The only evening I'm free this week is tonight or maybe Thursday. Definitely not free from Friday - Monday.

But whichever most people were free for.

Spikey
08-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Are we talking about this week or next week?

Wen
09-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I might join in, depending on what date/time has been chosen :)

ebby
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Tomorrow? 11pm GMT?

Wen
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
ok, I should be able to make it, if I don't mess us the time :)

vioflex
09-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I think I'll be able to make it too.

Spikey
09-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I may just make it.

Joey
09-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I should be here! :)

JHV
09-07-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm going to try to be here as well. I haven't listened to this album in a while, and it's nice to have a reason to revisit it.

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Excellent. :) So, later tonight/this evening. I'll be here. I just noticed that loads of the songs from this album are in the 30 most played list on my itunes. That says it all really.

annaybunny
09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
11pm GMT is 4pm PST, right? I won't be able to make it. :(

ebby
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
10 minutes away. Who else is here?

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

vioflex
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm here.

Spikey
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm here as well.

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
yeay, that's one two other people. Anyone else? Should we reschedule? :(

Spikey
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Dunno, we could.

Kriegspiel is so odd, btw. What kind of beginning is that?

Wen
09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
wait what? did I miss it? gah!

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
No! Let's start on the half hour, as there's four of us here now. Deal?

Wen
09-07-2010, 10:30 PM
i thought it starts in 30min, since it's BST now?

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
i thought it starts in 30min, since it's BST now?

That explains it all. Silly confusing timezones.

Well, do you all want to go with that? That gives us 28 minutes or so to get ready :)

Spikey
09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm okay with it, but are we starting like, NOW (BST half an hour too late) or in 30 min (GMT on time)?

EDIT: Ebby's post makes this post useless. Let's wait for true GMT, maybe more peoples will join us.

EDIT2: Or was it the other way around? Silly timezones.

Wen
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm ok to start in 25min, i.e. 11pm GMT (12pm BST) Hopefully more people will be here

And laugh at me, but I used http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html yesterday ;)

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Heh. I always forget about BST. Silly summer time stuff.

ebby
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok, deadly. We'll start so in 20 minutes. :) ! Woot!

Wen
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
those still present ready?

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Go!

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Kriegspeil still makes me think of opening gig music... i wonder if it has ever been followed by anything else apart from hard times?

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Kreigspeil is indeed a random opening.

Kriegsspiel, from the German word for wargame, was a system used for training officers in the Prussian army.

[..]

Kriegspiel (German for war game) is a chess variant invented by Henry Michael Temple in 1899 and based upon the original Kriegsspiel developed by Georg von Rassewitz in 1812. In this game each player can see their own pieces, but not those of their opponent.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Hard Times is such a great song. Great opening.

That fiddle riff is infectious. It also has a nice little hint of the choirs to come later in the album.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I love the violin.... i can't totally recall the lyrics, but the violin, yes

Spikey
09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry guys, really can't keep my eyes opened a second longer...

Wen
The danger danger danger with that violin background <3

ebby
It's the recurring theme of this album - amazing melodic violin riffs with really dirty electronic beats.

He has his most memorable melodies in the violin parts.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
And the introduction of the "voice of hope" in "Oblivion". It really kicks up the energy another notch. The first three proper songs have so much punch to them. You can see why the album was going to be a double called "Battle", as these opening tracks are all about fighting through adversity - "hard times" and "oblivion"..

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I just realised I've mainly listened to the album on the surface.... if that makes sense. And Tilda Swinton's stern voice works for me ;)

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
The title track opens with my favourite bit of fiddle playing on the whole album. Eliza Carthy sounds weird from being pregnant when the vocal takes were done, but it works. The rawness of her vocal as she really strains for some of the notes adds a heightened drama to the song.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
The start of the bachelor makes me think of a busy smoke filled saloon

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
There's a lot of layering of voices so far in this album, which works wonderfully for me - chaos and confusion

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Beats, voices and strings. That's essentially the majority of this record.

I'm onto Damaris - which I think is one of the strongest songs on the record. Pity about the awful video though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-NfCNrxDU

Damaris is a woman mentioned in the New Testament, living around 55 AD in Athens, Greece. As per the Acts of the Apostles (17:34), she embraced the Christian faith following the speech of Paul of Tarsus, given in front of the Athenian Areopagus. She might have been of high social status because only such women were allowed to assist the Areopagus meetings. This may be the reason why her name has been especially recorded.

According to Christian tradition she was Dionysius the Areopagite´s wife, and she is remembered to be his faithful assistant in organizing the incipient church when her husband became Bishop of Athens. Apparently, for Luke the Evangelist, having such elite citizens converted to the new faith was very important because it served as an example of depriving luxury and wealth to serve Christ.

The song is semi-autobiographical and centred on the loss of love, but was also inspired by a tale discovered by Patrick when he went to seek out his English roots after a period of heartbreak and the ending of a relationship that was documented in the song The Magic Position.

Tracing the roots of his father under the family name Apps back to a family of ferret-catchers and blacksmiths in Brede, East Sussex, Patrick stumbled across a small wooden cross engraved with the name 'Damaris' among the gravestones of his ancestors.

The church organ on the song, played by Patrick and the drums by Marcello Vig were both recorded in 2008 on location in St. George's Church.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
"oh rise up rise up rise up now from the earth" - first proper choir moment is calling to one of his dead ancestors. Quite bizarre when you actually think about it. Is he calling on his ancestors to give him the strength to see through his new life post-heartbreak as a Bachelor again?

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
The strings and the chorus on Damaris are gorgeous... i didn't know it had a video

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
That part is really powerful with everyone's voice - and just read the info you posted about finding an ancestor's grave with that name on it

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I like these lyrics "old cars and rubbish flourish, with black berries and red berries" - it brings to mind mother earth reclaiming what's hers

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:20 PM
"Thickets" - the return of "the voice of hope" again. This is one of the most beautiful songs about renewal and rebirth, in my opinion.

[Just a little further up the hill, boy.
You'll be home, soon enough]

All along the river
Pedalling fast as I could
Watch as the wasteland flowers
Old cars and rubbish flourish
With blackberries and red berries
Sweet blackberries
Taste red berries
berries, berries

Went looking for my tower
Off all the rails and the roads
In need of resurrection
As my desires and power
are growing in thickets
Tall all around me
Tall and all around me
Tall around me
Around around around now

Well, have I been traveling so long
that I've forgot how to stop?

Why are my breaks all broken?
Wheels spinning out of control
and then in the mirror, pale and deathly I have become

Well, what have I become? Mother?
What have I become? become, become, become now?

Oh, now

And all my wastelands flower
[And all my wastelands flower]

And all my thickets grow now
[grow]

And all my wastelands flower
[why all my wastelands flower]

And all my thickets grow tall and tall
[grow]

Tall and tall, tall, tall,
[grow]

tall all around
All around me

[around (repeated)]

[pale and deathly, as all wastelands flower
and all thickets grow, pale and deathly
as all your wastelands flower and all your thickets grow
pale and deathly as all your wastelands flower
and all your thickets grow
pale and deathly as all your wastelands flower
and all your thickets grow]

What have I become now?
Pale and deathly I have become
What have I become
become, become, become now
become, become, become now

[around (repeated)]

I love how the instrumentation builds up. There's so much hope in this song - even the little things like the way the violin riff in this song is these little rising scale phrases. Rising hope, quite simply represented by rising scales.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I will admit that "Count Of Casualty" was one of the songs I didn't like much initially. I think it's because of the opening to be honest, and the electronic sound used for the melodic riff is kinda garish. But when the backing vocals come in with their wordless counter melody I really enjoy it. I think the voices soften the really harsh electronica which sounds a little out of place after the rather well established soundworld of the previous 7 tracks.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
the electronics of count the casualty after how lush thickets is, always make me think whether I changed album!

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Thematically, it's interesting. A retaliation against the facebook society in many ways, and about cutting your losses and moving on:

Awake, yon' minister
There is a message to be delivered
Awake young passenger
Awake your country!

You're going to need
to find some strength now
to wake up!

Oh in this war without an end
Oh what peace do you defend?
Oh what fear do you depend on?

[I dare you, log off, sign out,
Delete your friends?
Start to count your...]

Count your casual...
Count your casualties
Count your casual...
Count your casualties
Count your casual...
Count your casualties

Wake up!

Oh what peace do you defend?
Oh what fear do you depend on now?

Count your casualties
Ride
Start!
War

[war]

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...]

Thousand human lives
It's human life
Human lives
Human lives
Human life

Count your casualties

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
the electronics of count the casualty after how lush thickets is, always make me think whether I changed album!

don't they just seem really out of place? It's so jarring.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
This song feels like the slap you give yourself to move forward, after having moped around for a while. And I usually like these abrupt changes, I always think that the jolt you get was what the singer meant for you to feel, if that makes sense. But yes, abrupt!

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:27 PM
This song feels like the slap you give yourself to move forward, after having moped around for a while

Precisely! And then he moves on to wonder who will be the love who will last and break through his "thickening skin" in "Who Will?". From renewal and moving on to wondering about the future and whether he will fall in love again, or let himself fall in love.

It's a gorgeous song. And such a gorgeous build up in this song. And then the choral entry alongside the beats. Just perfect. This is one of the finest moments on the whole album.

Who will penetrate the tightening muscle?
Who will cut across the thickening skin?
Who will be the one to reach their hand in
and pull out the golden heart?

Who will?
Who will?
Who will?
Who will?
Who will?
Who will?

From all the ashes
of all the crashes

Who will be the one?
Be the one

Who will lay me down in green pastures?
Or lead me from the burning sands?
Who will be the one to lay their cards down
And always hope the winning hand?

Who will?
Who will?
Who will be the one?

From all the ashes
of all the crashes

Who will be the one?
Be the one
Who will be the one?

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Bugger, I wanted to join in with this.

Love Count The Casualty but it goes on a bit. Sad I missed Thickets, it's one of the standouts.

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
(I always skip Who Will. Ssh.)

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
who will is so sad and gorgeous - i love the beat and the mix at the end

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Another abrupt change - i do love vulture live though, so much energy

Whappo
Vulture is so bloody stupid and I love it for that. I can't listen to it without thinking of the embarrassing slow motion backwards Lord of the Rings bondage elf Gary Numan video.

(Big Wheel!)

ebby
Vulture is one of the tracks I always skip. It doesn't seem to fit on the album for me. It's a great song by itself, but it just feels really wrong after Who Will?

Vulture
down, down

Losing my head to Hollywood [Hollywood]
My liver to London [Liver]
My youth to Tokyo
Still on with the show
On and on and on
On and on and on
And oh oh on

It's a hard lesson
But let me learn!

L.A. big wheels
Turn, Turn
And all your forest fires burn
And all my dead meat yearns
for the vulture's return

Take this
D-d-d-d-d-dead meat
My d-d-d-d-dead meat
Your d-d-d-d-d-dead meat
My d-d-d-d-dead meat

Coming down

[Vulture]

Coming down

[down, down]

Down in Santa Monica
Suicide motel
One date with the devil [the devil]
Seven days in hell
Mama don't worry
I say the boy is doing fine
Home in a hurry
And be sane with good
Time

T-t-t-t-t-t-t-time, time

Hard

Lessons

But let me learn

L.A big wheels turn, Turn
And all your forest fires burn
And all my dead meat yearns
For the vulture's return

Take my
D-d-d-d-d-dead meat
My d-d-d-d-dead meat
Your d-d-d-d-d-dead meat
Your d-d-d-d-d dead meat

Come on down, dead meat, vulture

I take it as him going off the rails, getting drunk and going out a lot.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:35 PM
embarrassing slow motion backwards Lord of the Rings bondage elf Gary Numan video.
;l I don't know whether I want to watch this.

I do know that on first superficial listen of the album, Vulture seems more accessible and fun :D But no, it does not really fit with the overall mood of the album. The getting drunk allusion does make sense though

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I actually like the transition from Who Will? to Vulture!

I fit it into the album through all of the destructive and rotting imagery that plays against the overgrowth in songs like Thickets. Instead of growth, here you've got forest fires and urban development, and it's all a lot more ghastly and hellish. Nothing's thriving but the fire and the scavengers.

Blackdown's nice. This and The Sun Is Often Out make me properly cry sometimes, really the heart of the album for me. And then he emerges from the heart of the metaphysical labyrinth like Theseus! DO YOU SEE.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:37 PM
And after going mental we move into "blackdown" (blackouts & comedowns anyone ;) )

The lyrics are some of the most obviously personal:

And I walked
And I walked upon Blackdown

And I walked west Sussex sunlight
up by dead man's pool
Where my ma, Mudlarck and Lewes
stared me down, "you drunken fool"
Old teenage debts engulfed my chest
as I contemplate death

I put a challenge to its glamours
and all its loss and glory

Late afternoon breath
was taken deep into my lungs,
thinking of the man I must become

My story has just begun
and I will be returning to myself soon

I've been alone for so many
of the great moments in my life
Alone like too many

But at this moment in my life.....asking,
"father, father, any way I can help ye?"
So, I am only just growing much better to know thee....

Thank you for the things you've given to our family...
Given your whole life to your wife and my sister and me...

Now I look out north of Battle where our ancestors lie in grave,
West to Brede where the blacksmith put root to our family name...
And I get proud of my birthright,
think of the things that I must leave
when I leave behind the city
and the living
finally...

oooh...

(the temple of the winds blows, until the boy wakes from his six year slumber... alive, alone, we take the next step)

Desire
Desire
Desire...

Desire, desire
Deep down inside of me
You are not the maker nor the master of me

Help me to better support my family
And better, better of a brother be....

Desire, desire
Deep down inside of me oh now
You are not the wrecker nor the ruler of me

Desire, desire
Deep down in me

Yes I've been alone for too many of these great moments in my life...
Alone like too many

But desire, desire, desire, you are not the maker of me
hah!
hey!
ho!
now!

All as i walked upon Blackdown

Again mentions of his ancestors, and drawing strength from his family and the past, and going to the countryside away from the city to find renewal and hope. Only this is more than just heartbreak and hard times, he's contemplating death, but rages against the control "desire" has over him. It's powerful stuff at times. I love how it kicks up into the big english folk moment. Talk about uplifting!

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I actually like the transition from Who Will? to Vulture!

I fit it into the album through all of the destructive and rotting imagery that plays against the overgrowth in songs like Thickets. Instead of growth, here you've got forest fires and urban development, and it's all a lot more ghastly and hellish. Nothing's thriving but the fire and the scavengers.

Blackdown's nice. This and The Sun Is Often Out make me properly cry sometimes, really the heart of the album for me. And then he emerges from the heart of the metaphysical labyrinth like Theseus! DO YOU SEE.

Very good points actually. It really does work lyrically and thematically, just musically it's jarring initially.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Oh, now this I've listened to so much. "The Sun Is Often Out".

(In memory of Stephen Vickery
14 April 1981 - 20 April 2008)

Tower bridge is closing, and all of Bermondsey's asleep.
The street light walks the waters, rising fast and dark and deep.
Well is your work of art so heavy that it will not let you live?
You'll be missed.
Soon there'll be flowers in the river, tears being shed.
You'll be missed.
You'll be missed.

So life has blessed you with a gift, boy, that you've gone and thrown away.
And with it your whole future, and left behind your family.
Now throwing flowers in the river, prayers are being said,
You are missed.
They're throwing flowers in the river where your body cold was found
You are missed.
Missed

Now I sit down here at low tide.
And I wait for the peregrines
And Stephen, this is where I live now, and I have overcome my demons.
And I have grown out of that thinking that would not let me live or give.

I've throw my flowers in the river, the tears have been shed, you are missed.
And the poem reads, and I remember the day you told me
that the sun, the sun, the sun, the sun is often out.

Why didn't you know that the sun, the sun, the sun, oh, the sun is often out?
I wish I had known you better.
The sun, the sun, the sun, the sun is often out.

Was your work of art so heavy that it would not let you live?

Was it someone else's death that put everything in perspective for him? This song really gets to me. It's heartwrenching, yet also has so much comfort and hope in it. That ending just lifts your spirits..

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
See, that's why I think Vulture works in the context of the album. The environment of it is the opposite of Blackdown, it's removed from his ancestors and that's reflected in the landscape and the mood, the talk of "suicide", the talk of being "home in a hurry" and removed from your family. And then the contrast in Blackdown is empowering, and there's clarity and a sense of knowing where you stand.

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Blackdown feels like a rollercoaster for the emotions.... and continues with the impact of the sun is often out

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
See, that's why I think Vulture works in the context of the album. The environment of it is the opposite of Blackdown, it's removed from his ancestors and that's reflected in the landscape and the mood, the talk of "suicide", the talk of being "home in a hurry" and removed from your family. And then the contrast in Blackdown is empowering, and there's clarity and a sense of knowing where you stand.

Absolutely. The transition from Vulture into Blackdown really works for me, it's just the one into Vulture.

I forget sometimes just how fantastic this album is.

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful climax to this song. And yay, Theseus! I usually end the album after this one. Battle's weird and I love ending the whole thing with him emerging from the labyrinth and the album building to a close with those strings.

Oh, and there are more vultures/scavengers here!

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Theseus brings back the "voice of hope again"

[What lies beneath the door?]
[What keeps you?]
[Explore!]
[Do you take the chance to defeat the source?]
[The gates are opening]
[The choice, the future, the future, the future is yours!]

So now you've found all you were looking for,
How you gonna find your way out of the maze?
You hear those jealous hands, those bitter men
Carve their meat before the table is laid.

And they are hungry, they are hungry for you
They are hungry, they are hungry for you
[for you, for you]

With an appetite, insatiable
They are hungry, they are hungry for you
[for you]

The warm thread of love leads you to freedom
[freedom]
Once the hero's deed is done
You leave her lying lone, no parasol
[burning]
under slow and solitary suns

And she is hungry, she is hungry for you
[hungry]
She is hungry, she is hungry for you
With an appetite so generous
She is hungry, [hungry] she is hungry for you

So why no surrender to your lover?
[your lover]
Or to the dead ends of the maze?
[the dead ends of the maze]
With all your life left to discover
[all your life]
A black sail billows, the sun hits your blade
[frozen, life]

And you are hungry, [hungry] you are hungry for you
[hungry for your]
You are hungry, [hungry] only hungry for you
[only for your]

So take a look around
[said take a look around]
And a little more
[a little more]
Who is this for?
[Who is this for?]
What is this for?
[What is this for?]

With an appetite so dangerous
With an appetite so dangerous

So take a look around and a little more [a little more]
What is this for?
And who is this for?

Only for you?
[Only for you]

Only for you
[Only for you]

Take a look around [take a look around] and a little more

What is this for?
[What is this for?]
And who is this for?

Your appetite, [only for you] so dangerous
Your appetite, [your appetite] so dangerous [so dangerous]

This song just builds and builds and builds...

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Absolutely beautiful climax to this song. And yay, Theseus! I usually end the album after this one. Battle's weird and I love ending the whole thing with him emerging from the labyrinth and the album building to a close with those strings.

Oh, and there are more vultures/scavengers here!

Ha! I usually go from Theseus to The Messenger, which I see as being linked. Battle seems really out of place.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Ok. I'm going to sit through "Battle". Talk about completely out of place and only vaguely related to everything else, in my opinion. Jeez. Though I kinda like the song itself in many ways, it just doesn't fit!

Drive!
Battle means victory

B-b-b-battle
Battle the patriarch
Battle for equal rights
Battle, battle, battle, battle

Battle back your liberty
Battle the long night

It's your time so join the tribe

It's our time for some victor
I lay here untied

Fight!
Ride!

If you're sick of being a victim of their ignorance

Then battle the conservative
Battle for your
Battle the homophobe, But battle without war
It's your time to join the tribe
It's our time for some victor
Reigning victor
Your victor!

Fight!
An activist
Drive!
An optimism fight

Fight!
Drive
It's your time
v-v-v-v-v-victory

Since I was twelve
It's been me versus the world
[Drive]
I got so sick of being told
My identity was in minority

But now we've got tribe
And we've got some battle
Drive!
And yes it's time
Don't you know it's time to get some, get some victory?
Yes it's time for some victor
yeah me, oh
Yeah me, yeah!
Victory!
This is our battle...

Why the big gay pride song in amongst a beautiful album about overcoming heartbreak, and depression and all the other bleak moments on the album, rising through hope and renewal from the countryside and family/ancestors, and now gay pride. WTF?

Whappo
09-07-2010, 11:49 PM
BTW, the myth of Theseus sort of links back to The Sun is Often Out and the bridge suicide - the "black sail" is mistakenly left up due to a curse, and seeing that rather than a white one, Theseus' father assumes the worst and throws himself into the sea.

Meanwhile:

"BATTLE THE CONSERVATIVE! BATTLE THE HOMOPHOBE! BATON, BATON, BATON!!!"

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I totally love "The Messenger" as a closing track - he's continuing the "setting sail" that started in Theseus, as he looks to the future and travelling. There's so much hope and so much inner strength in this song.

Yes I could make home here in good time
But if good time is a gift that won't be mine
That's fine

I'll seize the day!
Make life as traveler
Work as messenger
Let my pain and my pleasure
All one be

I won't fear what tomorrow may take
Still blind to my future and fate
Start my traveling now

Fearless fifteen
First came that dream, to be seen
To know love, the world and all it's stages

Now 25, made it alive and what a life I have known
Not gonna stop, never fully grown
(you'll never be)

Remember
I don't fear what tomorrow may take
Still blind to my future and fate
I won't hear what the others may say
Let only the love lead the way
And start my traveling now

Traveling
I'm traveling
I'm traveling

I see the redwoods, the deserts, my brothers, my sisters
The music, the moments I can never regret the cursed and blessed open road
Open road
Open road
Open road

Open road

When all else fails, remember
Always
Always
The open road

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I remember him mentioning during his gig how awful growing up under a conservative regime was etc.... not sure whether it was before going into Battle though. Or whether that's a story he tends to tell on stage?

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
BTW, the myth of Theseus sort of links back to The Sun is Often Out and the bridge suicide - the "black sail" is mistakenly left up due to a curse, and seeing that rather than a white one, Theseus' father assumes the worst and throws himself into the sea.

Ah yes! Forgot to post about that. I love how well linked most of the album is.

ebby
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
It really makes me wonder what the next installment of what was initially going to be the double album "Battle" will be like. "The Conqueror" - continuing the story? Starting from travelling? Where this has been focusing on the post-break-up Bachelorhood, will the next one focus on what happened after he conquered Desire and came through the depression and contemplation of death to find inner strength again?

Wen
09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I won't fear what tomorrow may take - I love this line, it kind of sums up what our generation seems to be afraid of, all the what ifs (or at least represent quite a few of my friends).

Sorry I couldn't participate more - 1 thing this listening party has done is that I'll be listening to the album more now ;)

vioflex
09-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Gah, I had people showing up without calling and couldn't be here for the party.

menju56
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Gah for me too. I will listen later and read along with the thread :)

Spikey
09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm the worst, I was literally falling asleep behind my laptop while waiting for the start (didn't help that I was already in bed with my laptop). Since I had to rise early, I just called it quits.