PDA

View Full Version : They gotta go back back back to school

space dog
08-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Happy? Sad? A little bit of both?

Em
08-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Happy, as are they! Daughter is a bona fide school nerd and called her BFF every day, but even the boy missed just hanging out at recess with his friends. I desperately missed my alone time during the day, even though for most of the summer they behaved themselves brilliantly and were a bit of comedy relief inserted into my day. They are thrilled with their teachers, as are we so far. :)

Dave
08-23-2010, 04:29 AM
For me it's a little different. Seeing as I work 3rd shift I'll be seeing them for roughly the same amount of time, except for that hour or so of quiet time in the morning before I go to bed. Yeah, that's a nice touch. But, like I said, I'm not really seeing any less of them, so there isn't much sadness except for the hope they will do well and have friends that aren't really friends. I know if I were 9 years old again I'd punch this one kid in the face... Is that bad? :p

It is good to know, however, that Courey will have a little less stress and a lot more peace during those hours.

Autumn
08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Happy, because she's happy. She's also going to put out much more effort this year to try and make Honor Roll. She was pretty disappointed with her honorable mention last year.

Sad, because everything is so freakin' expensive. School's been in session for just one week, and every time I turn around they need more money from me! This year, we paid a $45 activity fee up front at enrollment that's supposed to cover all the extra stuff they nickle and dime you for throughout the year. But today, I had to fork over $5 for a choir t-shirt! And she's on my back because her math teacher is requiring book covers for the math book "in case it gets dropped in the mud, then it won't get dirty". First of all, yes it will. Second of all, I already bought school supplies from the list, including extra supplies, and then had to go supply shopping AGAIN when we met the Spanish teacher and found out she had her own list. I wonder what they will want me to purchase today?

space dog
08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm happy because everybody does better when the routine is on, but (paradoxically) I'm a little sad that we lose our freedom to swim everyday, float down the river, and stay up as late as we want. Now the whole day has to kick up at 6am and wind down before 8:30pm. But I'll get more sleep, and that counts for something.

Elly
08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Me - Happy for the Grease 2 reference!! :D
8th grade Daughter - happy to have gotten red streaks added to her hair this weekend before school starts tomorrow, but devasted that she gets teeth braces put back on next week for about a year. Plus ... Bonus! Headgear! She wants so much to be a goth but she keeps being forced to be a nerd. ;) (headgear only at night so it's not as bad as it sounds.)
Sophohmore in college Son - Neutral. Always neutral. :| started last week but put off buying textbooks until today. Thank goodness Financial Aid will be applied tomorrow!

Becka
08-25-2010, 03:32 AM
My little guy starts JK on the 20th of next month. I'm so looking forward to having a full m-f of half days, but I know I'll miss him and be sad when he goes. He's so excited to ride the school bus and all that.

tivoklr
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Dude, school can't start soon enough this year...thankfully it's in 2 days but the summer has worn me down keeping track of 2 of them, plus my older daughter has developed emotions/feelings/whatever and is a lot more labile, which is a new twist.

The younger one starts school in a year but I can manage one 4yo (yeah right:rolleyes:).

Stephanie
08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
My 3 yr old starts Junior Kindergarten next week! So not ready. He's too young! He will be one of the youngest in the class since he's a November baby. And he'll be starting in a new language (french) which he doesn't speak yet. So I think it will be a tough go for a while. But the Principal as well as other friends who's kids have gone through say he will be bilingual by Christmas. Yippee!

SparkleMotion
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank God for the coming school year. I love my kid but I'm now at the point of OMGgetthefuckoutofmyhouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Em
08-30-2011, 01:13 PM
even though for most of the summer they behaved themselves brilliantly

wait what? when did this happen???
[thank god for school.]

Becka
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
hahah i read your first response Em and was like WHAT PARALLEL UNIVERSE HAVE WE FALLEN INTO?!

Kiddo starts Senior Kinder next week, still only half days but full immersion with French this time. He still doesn't believe me on that one -lol- I don't think K believes me when I say there will be a vow of silence on my part and if kid wants anything he has to talk to him in French for it *L* Our summer went very fast as L was in daycamp pretty much every week with the exception of first and last of July and this week. I really missed out on having him around so we are jamming not only lots of fun things this week but birthday(OMG HE'S 5 ON SUNDAY!) and school prep was well.

Em
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
hahah i read your first response Em and was like WHAT PARALLEL UNIVERSE HAVE WE FALLEN INTO?!

I musta been on a 3rd glass of wine when I wrote that shit.

Garion has been a freakin' nightmare to deal with today over his homework. I mean, can't handle, calling someone for help tomorrow, kinda nightmare. 3 solid hours of him screaming, fighting, throwing pencils, kicking walls, ripping holes in his worksheet so he ended up not able to read the math problem. This is not going to work for me. [hand]

FaerieDreamer
08-31-2011, 03:03 AM
OMG Em I do not envy you with the math homework. Just trying to get Xavier to READ something at this point is like I'm torturing him. He gets upset, I get upset, then he starts crying and it's a mess. I'm not looking forward to when he starts having actual homework this year (first packet comes on sept 8th).

Em
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Garion has never enjoyed homework, but it's never been this bad. I really think it has to do with the fact that after school, his ADHD medication is wearing off and he turns into the tasmanian devil. All I've heard from the teacher so far is that he is doing wonderful in class, staying focused, getting his work done; then he comes home and the child is the complete opposite. I've just called our local psych group to get him set up with [hopefully] a cognitive behavior therapist than can teach him some coping skills [and teach us how to not lose our minds]. Yesterday was horrible. He doesn't qualify for an IEP, so I can't even ask for a homework modification at this point, but I'm seriously considering calling the school psych [who is an old friend] and asking to see if he qualifies for a 504 Plan that could possibly help reduce the homework stress. ugh.

Stephanie
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
So we had our meeting with Holden's school yesterday. It was not so good. He wouldn't look at her, he sulked, just a big boooo. Then we came home and he was having tantrum after tantrum. Then he decided to wake up at 4:30 this morning and be up for the day, but still be cranky and throw tantrums. Poor little guy is stressed. This will be a hard few weeks. Friday is his first full day. Lord help me.

Abi
08-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Garion has never enjoyed homework, but it's never been this bad. I really think it has to do with the fact that after school, his ADHD medication is wearing off and he turns into the tasmanian devil. All I've heard from the teacher so far is that he is doing wonderful in class, staying focused, getting his work done; then he comes home and the child is the complete opposite. I've just called our local psych group to get him set up with [hopefully] a cognitive behavior therapist than can teach him some coping skills [and teach us how to not lose our minds]. Yesterday was horrible. He doesn't qualify for an IEP, so I can't even ask for a homework modification at this point, but I'm seriously considering calling the school psych [who is an old friend] and asking to see if he qualifies for a 504 Plan that could possibly help reduce the homework stress. ugh.

He doesn't qualify for an IEP?????? He's on ADHD meds...

Em
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Yep. Apparently because it is correctable with medication and he tests above average for IQ, comprehension, and all of that, he doesn't qualify. She knows how hard we've struggled finding a medication that a]works and b] doesn't wear off, and has said that if it gets to a point where he starts slipping behind AT ALL, or we take him off of medication for any reason, then we will immediately revisit the situation and make a plan. I really don't understand it; he has a medical disorder that affects his education, yet he "doesn't qualify." If I recall correctly, it was presented to me as "he doesn't need special education, therefore he doesn't need an IEP." Salem had an IEP since first grade, however he had a learning disability as well as ADD, so I guess that's the difference. Garion doesn't have a learning disability, but I had assumed that he would fall under "otherwise health impaired," but he didn't.

FaerieDreamer
09-01-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm getting nervous about mid year for Xavier. He has an ILP for reading because he is below grade level and well, to be honest, just plain lazy when it comes to reading. But here's the thing, his teacher is pregnant and due in November. That means that he will likely have a long term sub from November thru...?? I dont know if I should work with his teacher starting now to make sure he doesnt start slipping when the sub comes in? I just want to make sure he doesn't fall even more behind you know?

Em, it still amazes me that they won't put Garion on an IEP just because his ADHD is controlled by meds. He still has ADHD, that hasn't changed at all. Doesn't the school get more funding too if they have more kids on IEPs? That would seem to be an incentive right there.

Em
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
How is X at bedtime? I'm just thinking out loud, but Garion's not thrilled about books either, nor is bedtime a favorite activity of the day. However, we gave Garion a flashlight to take to bed with him, and it was his idea to bring along a book. [I nearly fell over]. Since Kai and Garion share a room now, we are planning on getting them each their own little cheapie ipods to listen to at night so they can block out the noise from each other [SHE'S BREATHING TOO LOUDLY, HE'S TURNING HIS PAGES TOO LOUDLY, SHE'S HUMMING...], and I fully intend to put audio books on the ipods! Obviously it's not the same as them reading, but I'm going to stuff their little brains with stories until they finally decide books are kinda cool. :p

p.s. I would also stay on top of the reading at school now! You may have to start over with the sub, but at least he won't have until November to start slipping. Garion was in a special class last year to prevent his being retained, and though he did finally make it up to grade level once he was put on medication, his teacher said that as soon as she found out who his teacher is, with our permission, she was going to go ahead and have a chat with the teacher and let her know exactly what G needs in order to succeed in class. So far, so good!

Abi
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
I just don't get why he can't have an IEP still. Over here you don't need to have a learning disability to get one. I've had kids on IEP's for all sorts of reasons!

Jezebelle
09-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Garion doesn't have a learning disability, but I had assumed that he would fall under "otherwise health impaired," but he didn't.

I know their argument: "he's achieving on grade level and thus doesn't need support yadda yadda..." Its likely true - a special ed class could very well be TOO supportive for him and not what you want. Still if you're seeking the protection and modifications then yes - demand a 504 plan.

As the school for the Medical Form for a 504 plan and have your pediatrician fill it out. Bring it to the School Psychologist and tell them you want to hold a meeting immediately to put strategies into place. I would also share the letter with the principal and request a class change before November. It won't rock his world likely - there's a good chance that there are other kids seeking changes by now too.

Gotta go - pm me if you want ore info but this is my bread and butter :)

Em
09-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Jez. The thing is, he definitely has not been achieving on grade level up until the very end of last school year. He was in danger of being retained 2 years in a row now, and is only in 3rd grade... Last year he attended a class that was, for all intents and purposes, basically a special needs class already. There were 3 teachers and 12 students total in the class, it was called RIT - Retention Intervention somethingorother. I have already had his doctor write a note to the school and presented it to the principal, the teacher, and the school psych. So they are very very well aware that he has a medical diagnosis and that he struggles because of it. What the school psych said to me was "because he performs on grade level while medicated, and doesn't need special education," yada yada. I was told he would also have to qualify for the 504 Plan, which surely he must, for goodness sake. I will do that for the 504 Plan, though; his doctor is absolutely on board making sure he has all the help he needs at school; we're very lucky to have one that truly cares outside of the office. I don't think Garion would need a class change at all; the stuff we need help with so far is just homework related - the teacher has done nothing but rave about him in class. :)

Jezebelle
09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Then they're essentially forcing you to medicate your child by denying services! What they're saying is sketchy. Special Ed classes probably aren't what he needs (I don't know - I didn't evaluate him nor do I know the make-up of the school) but I"d push for that 504 plan. The school psych is just one person who makes that determination - its a "team" decision and the mother is holds as much power as the school personnel; if not more. Anyway, just :)

Em
09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes and no. :) Garion himself prefers to be on medication most of the time [Friday he chose not to take it, and we never medicate on weekends or holidays - today he asked if he could have his pill, and I probably should have said yes judging by how the rest of the day has gone. ugh.]; we've gone through several medications so far, and finally have one for now that works for school time and doesn't have horrible side effects for him. But we're aware that it may not last forever, and eventually he may have to go unmedicated. I really hope it doesn't get to that point, because Garion really likes being able to do well in class and not having to muddle through the frustration of ADHD [well, the focusing in class part, anyway]. It sucks. I wish they had gone ahead last year and put the 504 Plan in place; it's not like it's extra work if he isn't using it yet.....