PDA

View Full Version : Boys for Pele B-Sides

Fast Horse
08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
In my opinion, her best b-side era to date. Pick your favorite (or a few).

JHV
08-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Even though I still count them as FTCH b-sides since that's when they were actually released, I had to go with Cooling and Never Seen Blue since those are two of Tori;'s best songs. Actually do we know if the brambles verse of Cooling was written pre-Pele or if it was a later addition? It wasn't performed in the Miami 1996 performance but appeared on the studio version and Toronto 1998 performance of Cooling before disappearing for 9 years, so maybe it wasn't part of the song originally and that's one of the reasons Tori cut it for so long?

From the b-sides that were released on BFP singles, my favorites are Graveyard and Alamo which are overlooked gems. Most of the other BFP b-sides (aside from Frog On My Toe) don't do anything for me, but those are excellent.

Pupate
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Although I love "Cooling" and "Never Seen Blue", I have to be in a certain mood to listen to and enjoy them. "Cooling" is a bit too drawn out, too, in my opinion. "Walk to Dublin" I can listen to whenever and wherever, and I'll always love it.

toriMODE
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Walk to Dublin
Graveyard
Never Seen Blue
Beulah Land

pancakefrompele
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Walk to Dublin
Graveyard
Cooling
Beulah Land

waitressboy
08-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Walk to Dublin. It's unfair it was not on BFP.

Scottish Mike
08-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Alamo. Definitely.

It's such a beautiful and enchanting song, and one of my Favourite Tori Songs Evar.

arsonist samael
08-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Alamo
Walk to Dublin
Samurai
Frog On My Toe
Beulah Land

other pete
08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
1 Frog on my Toe
2 Hungarian Wedding Song!
3 Graveyard
4 Alamo/Samurai/Toodles

I link the bees to their release dates rather than when they were written/recorded so it seems really odd to see Cooling, Beulah, NSB and Dublin on the list, though I see why they are.

100% glad none of them are on the album (even Cooling, one of her best songs). They are brilliant b-sides.

Fast Horse
08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
2 Hungarian Wedding Song!

Sorry I didn't include this one :o There were only 10 options and I went with the songs that were the most fleshed out, though I love this as an interlude.

Alamo
Sister Named Desire - I can't believe no love for this one. This song is just so beautiful and haunting...otherworldly, really. And the piano is perfection.
Samurai - I've always wondered if this is To The Fair Motormaids of Japan.
Walk to Dublin
Cooling
Graveyard
Never Seen Blue
Beulah Land

(I might as well pick the whole damn list.)

Alamo
08-26-2010, 12:50 PM
A L A M O!!!!

I adore this song ;)

Monique
08-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Graveyard, short but so sweet.

Alpha Neutral
08-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I went with Cooling and Never Seen Blue because those are the ones I feel should have made the actual album. The rest are all fun but are better represented as b-sides, IMO.

liquid_running
08-28-2010, 12:36 AM
I consider Cooling, NSB and BL to be Choirgirl B-sides, so my top three would be Alamo, Graveyard and Frog On My Toe. Hungarian Wedding Song would edge out Frog On My Toe if it were included. It's one of my favourite Tori interludes. I love the Carroll-esque lyrics.

Stone
08-28-2010, 01:35 AM
I resfuse to vote as there is no That's What I Like, Mick.

waitressboy
08-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Samurai - I've always wondered if this is To The Fair Motormaids of Japan.

To The Fair Motormaids Of Japan is one of those songs that I know we'll never hear but I'd kill a nun to hear it.
When A Piano was released, it was disappointing that TTFMOJ was not there. But there was Walk To Dublin, and I think that this song used to be TTFMOJ. But its just my imagination...

Waylon
09-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Cooling, Samurai, and Frog on my Toe!!

Especially Samurai. I love love love the mood of that piece. It's groovy.

folderol and
09-02-2010, 04:05 AM
cooling - although it doesn't resonate for me quite as much as it used to, memories flood my mind when i listen to this--i smell the winter when i hear this song. "and is your place in heaven worth giving up these kisses" is, for lack of a better word, heavenly.

graveyard - so, SO affecting. i love everything about this song. my current tori song of the moment, and i've gotta give a shout-out to the song of the week thread for making me discover this underrated gem.

beulah land - this is one hell of a sweet song. that middle section when she starts belting it out... ah, this song feels so free.