PDA

View Full Version : MTC's "What the F**k happened to MTC?" thread

MTC
08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
So first in July I got told I had breast cancer and then I was bummed. But the lumpectomy got it all so I was not bummed. Then I got told I would need radiation and I was worried, but that didn't last too long.

Then on August 13 I got really, really sick and went to the ER. After a stay of a couple of days I was told I had a bowel obstruction but oh hai, we can't find it and can't do anything for you so go home.

On August 17 I was back in the ER making the 13th pale in comparison. I had no idea a person could be in so much pain and not pass out. Childbirth was no where the level of pain I was at and I didn't have any drugs with childbirth so it's an accurate comparison. Another CT scan and oh hai you still have a bowel obstruction and we're going to have to do exploratory surgery. So I was opened from stem to stern, guts spilled out and examined by hand, obstruction found, cut out, bits put back together and my guts stuff back inside me.

Afterward I was a tad uncomfortable to say the least and had no idea what the hell happened.

Then I got blood clots in my lungs.

Then I got on blood thinners and my pain meds started getting cut back. I was unhappy. Blood thinner injected directly into one's stomach when it's been sliced and diced is the stupidest thing I've ever experienced.

Then I had to wait for my digestive system to wake up which took several days. Eventually I was back on solid food.

I finally came home today and percocets are lovely things when the drive home is long and takes you over lots of bumps.

So that's what I did on my summer vacation! How was yours?

Jezebelle
08-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Damn girl! What a medical adventure! How are you feeling now?

toriMODE
08-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Oh wow MTC, you poor thing! I'm glad you are on the road to recovery (at least)!

Em
08-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Have been worried about you. I'm so glad Ray kept telling us on your LJ how you were doing. And even more glad that you're at least back home and preparing to kick ass a bit longer! [post28]

Lo
08-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Holy shiz! Glad you are on the mend :)

MTC
08-26-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm sore as hell! Wanna see my incision?

secretsekertary
08-26-2010, 03:33 AM
yes.

MTC
08-26-2010, 04:06 AM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4748687738#!/profile.php?id=1424940695
hope that works.

Becka
08-26-2010, 04:08 AM
eek! good christ what an ordeal! i hope you are on the mend and feeling better (that incision looks so painful).

MTC
08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
I imagine it was but I was unconscious at the time. Afterward was no party either.

Rum 509
08-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Gah! That's awful! I'm so glad you're still with us.

Can I get you anything?

FaerieDreamer
08-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are starting to get better after all of that!

wout
08-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Woah... I was wondering how you were doing!
Hope you're back to feeling your self again soon.

Abi
08-26-2010, 12:44 PM
[post28] you lots. I hope you are back to normality very soon and you heal up fast. What a terrible time!!

C33
08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Rest up and take care of yourself, MTC!

I hope you come out of all this stronger and healthier than ever!

Stephanie
08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Holy crap, that is insane!! Glad you're on the road to recovery. That is a serious incision!

MTC
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Got to take a real shower today! I actually feel human. Amazing what shaving your legs can do for morale.

space dog
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Glad you're on the up swing. Don't forget to blame Obama for your bad health care experience.

Scottish Woman
08-26-2010, 08:35 PM
All the best, hen. Glad things are starting to get better :)

Kari
08-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Holy shit sweetie! That sucks! I'm so glad you are ok and back posting. [post28]

SparkleMotion
08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
[hug]

MTC
08-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Glad you're on the up swing. Don't forget to blame Obama for your bad health care experience.

If it had been a bad experience overall, I'd blame Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck just to see who's head would have exploded.

MTC
09-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Well, the staples are out and that hurt like a bitch. Now I just have to 'express' my wound twice a day. Gross. My oncologist finally got to talk to me and gave me the awesome news that I'm not really all clear on the breast cancer front. She was all, hey do you want to schedule surgery. I said since I have to have a MRI and smashogram in 6 months anyway, let's just see how it looks then. After all I'm starting radiation in a couple of weeks (5 days a week, for 6 1/2 weeks) so whatever might be there, might get killed off.

Abi
09-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Oh hun, I'm so sorry you're going through this. [post28] How awful for you. Thinking of you lots.

MTC
09-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Lost my job this week as recovery is taking so long. Haven't worked long enough to quality for the Family Medical Leave Act. Now waiting to hear how long radiation will be postponed due to the new suspicious cluster found in my right breast. My oncologist ignored my calls all week until I called another doctor to have him ask her about the new cluster.

toriMODE
09-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Sorry to hear that you lost your job!!!

Maeby
09-11-2010, 03:30 AM
God, that incision and the hell you have been going through is insane. I don't know what else to say but I hope things start turning around for you -- FAST!

wout
09-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Same here...

MTC
09-16-2010, 02:29 AM
So yesterday was doctor Smith - Oncologist. She tells me that the suspicious area is probably nothing. She's 90% sure it's nothing and that it looks nothing like what I had before. However, a biopsy might not be a bad idea except I'm on blood thinning drugs and that make any operation quite dangerous. Radiation? Well, that will mostly likely obscure the spot and then it would be impossible to find later. If it is something, how would they find it until it gets big and it might be too late. Wait until off blood thinners? Not a bad idea, and then if something crops up again at the 6 month mark it can be taken care of then.

Ray, being out of town is told all this over the phone. Have I told you his middle name is Monkey Wrench? I've decided waiting would be best. He thinks we need to consult with the radiologist to see if radiation can be done at the 6 month mark. I call. They don't get back to me.

Today is the GI doc Agarwal. He looks over my stuff and is confused. Nothing would seem to indicate Crohn's disease. No prior history, symptoms or genetic/family links. "Very strange," he keeps saying. He got a full report on the pathology and said, "This seems like carcinoids." I know enough medical latin to recognize the first part of the word is cancer. I ask what carcinoids are. "Benign tumors in your small intestine." Okay, but not Crohn's and something benign.

I go home thinking that if I can't do radiation now, then that leave hormone therapy to get rid of any icky in the booby. Cool! It's not going to be fun, but better than doing nothing.

Then I get online and look up carcinoids. Not always benign. In fact often misdiagnosed as IBS or menopause. Generally shows up in a person in their 60's. Can spread terminally to lungs and liver. Does not respond to chemo or radiation. On the upside, at least it's rare. I started laughing. What else can I do? It's getting all so ridiculous.

So tests will begin to see if that's what I have. A 24 hour urine test and a barium X-ray. Also a blood test to rule out Crohn's (why didn't the hospital do this?) and later in a couple of months a colonoscopy.

So fuck this shit. I'm having mojito's tonight.

Elly
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
A 24 hour urine test and a barium X-ray. Also a blood test to rule out Crohn's.
Don't results of these types of tests come back fairly quick? So, at the least, you'll have a better picture of what it's not.
Ever hopeful,
Elly

Kari
09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Jesus. Have six mojitos. :( Hang in there sweetie.

MTC
09-16-2010, 05:14 PM
^can't. Not allowed to get faced while on Coumadin.

MTC
09-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Radiation starts on Wednesday. My torso is marked all over with sharpies and then those marks covered with tape.

Haven't hear back regarding test results that I got all turned in last Monday. I'm supposed to just wait until November 29. If I don't hear from the doc between now and then, all results normal. *rolls eyes*

MTC
11-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Final radiation treatment tomorrow. Skin is black in places, peeling and flaking in others, tired like whoa a lot of the time - but - still standing.

Will also see my GI doc about test results from my stomach surgery. As I haven't heard anything, I'm hoping that all is well. The appointment on the 29th is for a different doctor. I got them mixed up.

empresskara
11-12-2010, 04:24 AM
stay strong darling! <3 you!

wout
11-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Final radiation treatment tomorrow.

That's good, right? A bit of rest...
And Still Standing is good!!!

Maggers
11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Whoa, MTC, what a shit sandwich. But I am glad you are still standing!

Maeby
11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
From what I have heard, radiation is the toughest, most draining form of treatment. I'm so glad to hear you're done with it. I hope this means any future treatments you may have will feel like a breeze after the radiation. Hang in there.

MTC
11-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Got the all clear from the GI doc. Will have to do a colonoscopy in March but all blood work etc. came back clear for cancer. The colonoscopy is just to verify that and to make sure there aren't any other problems.

No chemo is scheduled or even being talked about. Hormone therapy may be brought up but I won't know until the end of the month.

Shit I'm tired.

Em
11-12-2010, 11:39 PM
[post28]!

Maeby
11-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Yay! for the all clear. It's time for you to take a well-earned vacation, or a restful nap at the very least! :)

EnjoyJoy
11-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow, I just read the whole thread from head to toe, that was, that was, wow, if that stuff happened in a movie I would say it was lazy writing and that there's no way in hell all that stuff can happen to someone. In a row. Kudos kudos kudos to you for staying strong throughout, you really are an inspiration and I'll definitely remember this thread the next time I'm a bitch at a hospital.

Gretch
11-13-2010, 12:43 AM
You inspire me, Mrs MTC! You've been so incredibly strong and awesome through all of this and your strength has helped me immensely! You've been through the wringer and yes, you're tired but you bloody well deserve to be after all that! I'm so pleased to hear that you've got the all clear. That makes me incredibly happy! <3 you so much!

wout
12-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Just checking: how are you doing? Resting up a bit and hopefully enjoying the hell out of life? :)

MTC
12-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Resting because I stupidly fell down the stairs at home! My ankle got badly sprained and is very bruised but the swelling is going down and I can actually walk on it if I'm not in shoes - go figure. Otherwise fine. Nothing new to report here Captain!

Gretch
12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Yeah! I saw that on FB and I was gonna be all "STOP getting hurt, you old bat!" but I didn't know if that would make you lol the way it was intended to make you lol! Seriously Sue, I do worry about you, lady. I worry because I <3!

Oh and I also meant to tell you (but I only just got home from the hossie last night) that I'm on warfarin now for the rest of my life too. No cool zipper tattoos for us!!

MTC
12-16-2010, 11:48 PM
We can get you a temp tattoo of a zipper or a henna one. Yeah, totally an old bat move on my part. I was ticked that the neighbor's dog was barking so loud and wondered if he had gotten out when suddenly the floor was introducing itself to my face. My foot, having met the floor quite often in the process of walking decided it wanted to see it from a painfully different angle. The new angle prevented my face from totally smashing into the tile, but my shoulder got to say hello. The bruises are fab as the warfarin makes bruises much easier to get and more colorful.

I did discover something today in regards to my previous diagnoses. I've suddenly got the cooties or something. The people where my husband works at were very reluctant to talk to me today with only a few exceptions. I mean, nothing's changed. I'm not dying this minute nor soon hopefully. Eye contact was a difficult thing to obtain. If I had huge boobs that would be understandable and expected. Awkward turtle was running rampant at the office Christmas party.