PDA

View Full Version : The All Inclusive Natalie Merchant Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Snow White
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
We're going to need a place to discuss her summer tour. :)

beanstew
06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I saw her in London last month. She was fabulous. :)

NUHN
06-18-2010, 11:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIl2YqrQjeg

Four parts. (Natalie doesn't really start talking until 6:30)

Snow White
06-18-2010, 11:24 PM
^ The Allen Ginsberg story is too funny. (For those who didn't watch all four parts: apparently when she got the chance to meet Allen Ginsberg, he asked her about the line from Hey Jack Kerouac: "Allen, baby, why so jaded? Have the boys all grown up and their beauty faded?"). That must have been so humiliating... haha. And his response: "Jaded, hardly" is hilarious.

HumptyDumpty
06-23-2010, 04:02 AM
I just wanted to mention that I think Leave Your Sleep is pure magic. And I foresee it only getting better with age. Glad to see she's still making music... I was worried for a while! She's such an understated, but important voice in music.

Snow White
07-08-2010, 09:03 PM
A new interview/article: http://worldbbnews.com/2010/07/natalie-merchant-mother-superior/

It includes some commentary on Lady Gaga:

At the root of her success are two qualities: an unwillingness to compromise, and total sincerity. In a world of glib, heavily produced pop stars, Merchant stands out. She says she thinks the mega pop culture realm is pathetic, and was taken aback by the video for the song Telephone, in which Lady Gaga dances around a womens prison and organises a mass poisoning. I think the womens prison motif is just beyond the pale, says Merchant. I dont think womens prisons are environments for dance routines, and I dont think mass murder is humorous. I just think its really offensive and Im embarrassed for them.

Johnothon
07-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I just wanted to mention that I think Leave Your Sleep is pure magic. And I foresee it only getting better with age. Glad to see she's still making music... I was worried for a while! She's such an understated, but important voice in music.

You know, it's weird since I'm a die-hard fan of Natalie's, but to this day I've still only listened to the first disc of Leave Your Sleep and I don't actually have a reason why. I just got so enamored with it that it was all I wanted to hear. I've read alot of praise for the final few songs on disc 2, so need to get to that soon. :)

Btw, any fans of The House Carpenter's Daughter?

uskidsknow
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I find the first disk much more engaging than the second.

I'm still waiting for Natalie's next release of new material. Lord knows when that will be.

Johnothon
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Really? Well the first disc does have Calico Pie! It could be that one song thirteen times and I'd buy it. I'm sure Natalie said that the second album for the new label is written, so hopefully it won't be anther gajillion years!

NUHN
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Definitely. Great album. I would love to find the original (Horseflies) version of "Sally Ann."

Snow White
07-09-2010, 03:35 PM

*Raises hand* One of the albums I go back to again and again and my enthusiasm for it has stayed constant over the years. Owensboro, Sally Ann, Diver Boy, and House Carpenter are some of my favorite recordings by anyone ever.

Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow and Down on Penny's Farm also make me happy. I love fast, country-ish Natalie. I love Adventures of Isabel and Calico Pie for the same reason.

Johnothon
07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Definitely. Great album. I would love to find the original (Horseflies) version of "Sally Ann."

You know, I'm sure I read that 10,000 Maniacs did a cover of Sally Ann way back when! Never have tracked it down, then again I haven't actually tried...

snow white, Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow is my favourite! :) I remember being really hesitant and resisting of Motherland and THCD because of the changes in instrumentation and, possibly more importantly, Natalie's voice, cause those two are gems. I was such a tool.

NUHN
07-10-2010, 06:52 PM

NUHN
07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
/

uskidsknow
07-11-2010, 04:55 AM
I actually think Motherland is really really underrated. I agree that "the worst thing" is aptly titled, however. I think the last four songs (not in this life, i'm not gonna beg, just can't last, tell yourself) are really really strong, and golden boy, build a levee, this house is on fire, motherland, saint judas are all great songs.

Nick
07-11-2010, 05:03 AM
I love The Worst Thing; love every song on that album and think it's drastically underrated. Put The Law On You is actually in my Top 3 (with This House Is On Fire and Saint Judas). Would actually be my favorite Natalie album if Ophelia didn't have so many of her best songs, but it's definitely her most consistent for me.

uskidsknow
07-11-2010, 05:06 AM
I actually think Ophelia is a tad OVERrated. IT's got some amazing songs, obviously, but it's a little precious for me at points and I hardly ever want to listen to the whole thing all the way through as I do with Motherland.

Johnothon
07-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm with The Worst Thing being a bit meh, but I'm Not Gonna Beg and Not in This Life are my favourites (though apparently Natalie would now remove NITL and replace it with a song called The End, which I've never heard). What do you guys think about the evolution of Natalie's voice? Personally I feel that it's as strong now as it's ever been, maybe more so. This is my evidence, and maybe someone could teach me how to embed vids: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJjZeKGHWYY

beanstew
07-11-2010, 10:13 AM
^ Heh. That's a great video. :)

You embed a video by putting the url between [ video] [/video] tags but without the first space.

Snow White
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
^ That video hilarious. Her interaction with the audience has been cracking me up. It's like her half poetry / half stand-up comedy tour.

I was stopping by to post this-- Adventures of Isabel live! So happy she's playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lei15Me7QzU

Johnothon
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the video, snow white! Has the tour recommenced? I think this may be Isabel's debut! She seems to have been sticking to a fairly set group of songs for the encores from what I've read, maybe that'll shake up a little too. Always hopeful she gives The Letter it's moment in the spotlight.

Snow White
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure where that video is from. I know she performed at a library convention recently. Maybe it's from there? The first new show of the tour is tonight, I believe.

Johnothon
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure where that video is from. I know she performed at a library convention recently. Maybe it's from there? The first new show of the tour is tonight, I believe.

Ah. I'm excited all over again! :)

Snow White
07-13-2010, 12:46 AM
A picture from the first show, via twitter:
http://tweetphoto.com/32368551
You can't see much, but I'm excited about the new musicians with her.

I'm hoping that the slide show in the background doesn't come with more lectures. Loved, loved, loved ([post28]!) the show I saw on the first round of Leave Your Sleep shows-- and I admire her desire to tell the stories of the poets she researched-- but I'm hoping for more music and less explanation this time around.

schitzonicsox
07-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Just managed to get 3rd row center and 1st row center for tonight and tomorrow's shows in NYC! Ticketmaster still has great seats available if anybody's interested!

beanstew
07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
A beautiful performance of one of my favourite 10KM songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4pE9-_gL88

Kala
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Yep. I love it. My favorites are "Sally Ann" "Crazy Man Michael" "House Carpenter" & "Poor Wayfaring Stranger"

And I am very much enjoying "Leave Your Sleep". We will be seeing Natalie perform on Thursday night and am so so excited. First row seats in the orchestra pit!

Loved, loved, loved (!) the show I saw on the first round of Leave Your Sleep shows

Me too!

clarion
07-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I haven't heard the new one yet, but I have to show Motherland some love. It's the only solo album of hers I like.

I don't think anything will ever top Blind Man's Zoo though.

Johnothon
07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I haven't heard the new one yet, but I have to show Motherland some love. It's the only solo album of hers I like.

I don't think anything will ever top Blind Man's Zoo though.

The only one? :eek:

Christ, is no one taking videos at the current gigs? Come on, people!

Rob
07-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Did no one here go to the concerts in NYC?

Also, I was too rapidly scanning through some google results and moved on to other things before I realized that I had read that the Boston concert was being moved from the Wang Theatre (which seats about 3500) to the Wilbur Theatre next door, which seats about 1000. Apparently this has just happened - for tonight's concert (Monday, 7/19). I'm very surprised. If she can't sell two or three thousand tickets in Boston, this is going to be a very difficult tour for her. And who can't sell two thousand tickets in Boston? Is this a case of the P-word curse raising its ugly head in the land of no-culture-allowed...even in Boston?

clarion
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
The only one? :eek:

Believe me, I own Ophelia and have given it so many chances, but I just can't get into any of it.

That does remind me, though, that I need to replace my copies of the early Maniacs records. Those first two EPs through Blind Man's Zoo are perfection.

uskidsknow
07-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I went to the second Town hall show in NYC. She did all new material in the main set (as per the usual), and in the encore she came back and did:

River, Frozen Charlotte (!!), The Worst Thing (super surprising), Kind and Generous, Goldrush Brides, Break Your heart, Carnival, The Letter.

she sounded great, was in great spirits, and it was a lovely night.

Johnothon
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
I went to the second Town hall show in NYC. She did all new material in the main set (as per the usual), and in the encore she came back and did:

River, Frozen Charlotte (!!), The Worst Thing (super surprising), Kind and Generous, Goldrush Brides, Break Your heart, Carnival, The Letter.

she sounded great, was in great spirits, and it was a lovely night.

You got The Letter. My fucking head just exploded with jealousy. I seriously hope a bootleg surfaces somewhere one day or someone videoed it at least.

Rob
07-19-2010, 09:17 PM
"she sounded great, was in great spirits, and it was a lovely night"

I can't leave St. Louis because I've got a family responsibility which won't permit it, and she's not coming here; but I would pay $200 for a ticket to see her perform just these four: Frozen Charlotte, Goldrush Brides, Break Your Heart and The Letter. And you got those plus all the other goodies. There really isn't anything fair in life. You've been exceptionally lucky.

Rob
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgz0iktp20s

Natalie walking through the audience last night (Bethesda, MD) singing "Kind and Generous".

Johnothon
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
"she sounded great, was in great spirits, and it was a lovely night"

I can't leave St. Louis because I've got a family responsibility which won't permit it, and she's not coming here; but I would pay $200 for a ticket to see her perform just these four: Frozen Charlotte, Goldrush Brides, Break Your Heart and The Letter. And you got those plus all the other goodies. There really isn't anything fair in life. You've been exceptionally lucky.

I know, right. I would have given anything to be there for that encore. The Letter is just...ugh. Jealousy is not becoming.

Johnothon
07-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Someone posted the setlist on setlist.fm of the July 18 show in Maryland, and apparently she's doing The King of China's Daughter and Bleezer's Ice Cream in the main set now, which makes me very happy. :)

And Eat for Two was in the encore. :eek:

schitzonicsox
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Same set list both nights in NYC (which I was a touch disappointed by). We also got Eat for Two on Thursday night. I think she cut it out because she was so chatty. Great shows either way!

Johnothon
07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Wonder, from Philadelphia last night. I love her so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8sMFjsuCk

beanstew
07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
She's playing at Cambridge Folk Festival next weekend. I'm looking forward to finding out what she's got in store. :)

Snow White
07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
^ Aw, I love Wonder.

This popped up on the sidebar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmzzZKRNWU&feature=related
(A really sweet version co-sung with a girl from the music video)

. . .

So excited to see her tomorrow!

uskidsknow
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
awwww. I was there at that show. It was one of the Hiro Ballroom shows from 2008. I was crying while that girl was onstage. it was a special moment. I love natalie.

Snow White
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Set list from the Chicago show:

Crying My Little One
The Sleepy Giant
Man in the Wilderness
King of China's Daughter
Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience
Spring and Fall to a Young Child
Maggie, Milly, Molly, and May (a very emotional version, sung with her eyes closed the entire time)
Peppery Man
Janitor's Boy
Bleezer's Ice Cream (dedicated to a young boy who was in the audience and wrote to her for a class project. Later, she pulled him up on stage to read the Edward Lear limericks before Calico Pie. She also whispered her lecture about Lear to him and had him convey it to the audience. Very cute. The boy's little brother kept falling asleep during the show and Natalie kept checking on him. At one point, the little brother informed her that he planned to sleep through the songs he didn't know. She thanked him for his honesty... lmao.)
Adventures of Isabel
Calico Pie
If No One Ever Marries Me
Dancing Bear
Equestrienne

Encore (or as Natalie put it, "show two")

Wonder (seriously-- does this ever get old? It never fails to make me emotional)
Break Your Heart
Carnival
Snippet of Dust in the Wind after an audience member called it out
River (with Natalie on very light, brush drum percussion during the end... sad and lovely)
Eat for Two (perhaps one of my favorite live concert moments ever. The strings on this song are so haunting.)
The Worst Thing (Holy shit, the ending of that song. I always forget about it because the beginning usually bores me and I skip it when listening to the album)
The Letter
Cowboy Romance (Throughout the encore people were standing up against the stage. Natalie noticed a guy taking her picture and took his iphone from him. She deleted all of the pictures of herself because they were "terrible" and photographed all of her band members instead and then took a picture of the guy and his wife.)
Owensboro ([post28])
Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow (appeared to be a last minute decision to sing it)
Kind and Generous

Another funny NM story: at one point she told the audience that she had been standing on the terrace of a Chicago building and all of a sudden saw something blow up in the sky. She was freaking out and couldn't imagine why nobody else seemed concerned. Then she found out that Transformers 3 was being taped a block away. ("I stubbed my toe trying to save myself. I need to sue someone. I'll sue Hollywood." )

Anyway-- it was amazing, better even than the show I saw in April. The rearranged songs in the latter half of the show are performed wonderfully by the band. Eat for Two and River were particularly moving with all of the strings.

More later, I'm sure. Off to Milwaukee for tonight's show. (Although its apparently flooded and two people were just struck by lightening. And the airport is closed for the day. Oy.)

Snow White
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Set list from Milwaukee, if anyone is curious:

Sleepy Giant
Man in the Wilderness
King of China's Daughter
Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience (A really emotional version that left her choked up. "How can I talk after that?")
Maggie and Milly and Molly and May
Spring and Fall to a Young Child (This also seemed intense for her. After she sang it, she had difficulty with her Peppery Man lecture. She said that when she really gets into a song, the following lecture suffers. Later, when she fumbled some of Adventures of Isabel, she joked that the following lecture would be really good.)
Peppery Man
Janitor's Boy
Bleezer's Ice Cream (Almost remembered all of the flavors perfectly without her cheat sheet. It's getting there!)
Adventures of Isabel
Calico Pie (The little boy from last night was back and helped her with the limericks again. Love how this basically became Reading Lessons with Natalie and she coached him through the hard words. The whole thing felt very appropriate to the spirit of the album.)
Dancing Bear
Equestrienne (How moving is her affection for Rachel Field?)

Encore:
Wonder (with a long sing-a-long ending)
Break Your Heart
Moonshadow (someone screamed for this and she replied "really? Of all the songs in the world?" and then played a little bit of it.)
Oscar Meyer theme song (another audience request to which she responded "don't tempt me" and made another sing-a-long out of it.)
The Worst Thing
The Letter
Motherland
Tell Yourself
Life is Sweet (She warned us they didn't really know it, but of course it was fantastic. Halfway through, she called out her cellist to play. Someone also gave her a bouquet of flowers that she tore apart and threw one by one into the audience.)
Kind and Generous

Overall, the energy of these shows has been so positive. It's beautiful to see people cheering for poetry songs and appreciating a project that is, at heart, about our relationship to language-- and also our relationship to the utterances of others, even the long dead. Such a gorgeous, life-affirming project. I'm so grateful to have been able to see some of the tour.

Oh, and a video of King of China's Daughter taped by the Pabst Theater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvwREvPyls

Rob
07-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you, for both. And I'm jealous.

Jake
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
She has an iTunes Sessions EP available starting today! Clips sound great. Tracklist is as follows:

Break your Heart
Golden Boy
Ribbon Bow
Build a Levee
Political Science
Kind and Generous
If I Only Had a Brain

SouthernLad
07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I just downloaded it. Sounds great!

Johnothon
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for bringing the Sessions EP to attention, Jake! Unfortunately I have 1.59 in my iTunes account and it's 5.53! Damn my downloading the last few episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

The video of The King of China's Daughter posted earlier was great. Very atmospheric. I'm bummed at how few videos are surfacing on YT, though. This is the seventeenth time I've said this so prepare yourselves - I hope to Christ someone has taped The Letter!

Edit: Also, I think Natalie's voice is better than ever. For shiz.

Snow White
07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
107.1 in Ann Arbor is streaming a live performance at Borders in about ten minutes.

Streaming here:
http://www.annarbors107one.com/

I'm excited to listen to the itunes session. Yay for things that will make packing up my whole apartment more pleasant.

Johnothon
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
snow white, thanks so much for the heads up! :)

beKa
07-27-2010, 04:09 PM
For those in the tri state area, I've heard 10,000 Maniacs are the headliners for this year's Oyster Fest in CT! Free show, aside from the cost of the festival entrance fee. Not sure if NM is still playing with them though.

Johnothon
07-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Think the broadcast over, after three songs:

Weeping Pilgrim
Adventures of Isabel

Snow White
07-27-2010, 04:48 PM
^ I was surprised the broadcast cut off so soon. It was great to hear Weeping Pilgrim, though.

Re: the itunes EP: I've barely made it past the new stripped down Break Your Heart... I keep re-listening. This is actually one of her songs that I never really connected with on Ophelia... It always felt a little too overstated, a little too obvious in its sentiments. It's been clicking lately, though... As I get older, songs that have more universal sentiments-- that I wrote off immediately as cliche in the past-- have become more affecting. (Anyone else experience this?) Today, this song may be threatening to produce slightly soggy cardboard boxes as I pack... Seriously, has her voice ever been more moving?("Still, a little love survives.")

ETA: The new version of Build a Levee. Holy. Shit.

Johnothon
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
^ I was surprised the broadcast cut off so soon. It was great to hear Weeping Pilgrim, though.

Re: the itunes EP: I've barely made it past the new stripped down Break Your Heart... I keep re-listening. This is actually one of her songs that I never really connected with on Ophelia... It always felt a little too overstated, a little too obvious in its sentiments. It's been clicking lately, though... As I get older, songs that have more universal sentiments-- that I wrote off immediately as cliche in the past-- have become more affecting. (Anyone else experience this?) Today, this song may be threatening to produce slightly soggy cardboard boxes as I pack... Seriously, has her voice ever been more moving? ("Still, a little love survives.")

ETA: The new version of Build a Levee. Holy. Shit.

I know, I initially it was going to be a tour-length setlist. Bummer. Break Your Heart has never been a favourite but Natalie seems to really favour it.

I bought Kind & Generous from the EP. Have enough money left in my iTunes account for one more track - what you think I should go for? You seem keen on Levee. :D

Snow White
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Levee for sure! It's the stand out track for me.

Johnothon
07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I enjoyed Levee alot. :) ^

Someone on YT has just posted three videos from the Borders gig, so it was obviously longer than the three songs I posted earlier. The videos are of Adventures of Isabel, Calico Pie and Cowboy Romance (at the end of which she says they'll do Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow and call it quits).

http://www.youtube.com/user/gvamsi#p/a/u/0/L1bxUlzsSmM

Snow White
07-31-2010, 01:53 AM
So this isn't the most booming thread in OMA, but I still think it might be fun to have a listening party for Leave Your Sleep (maybe in two parts?). Would anyone be up for that?

Also, I've been hearing rumors lately about a handful of orchestra shows after the official tour wraps up. Has anyone else heard anything? I'm crossing my fingers there's some truth to that! (There's one for sure in PA-- lucky east coasters. http://www.kirbycenter.org/events/showpage.cfm?event_id=2226)

(ETA: There's also a NJ orchestra show: http://www.mayoarts.org/indiv/indiv_NatalieMerchant.html Come on Natalie, you know you want to come back to the midwest too!)

NUHN
07-31-2010, 01:58 AM
I would be up for it. Probably would need to do it in two parts though I would think. And I love your enthusiasm for Natalie, snow white!!

(Havent' heard about the orchestra shows)

schitzonicsox
08-01-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm up for a listening party in two parts. We should probably post it in the Listening Party thread in case anyone else wants to join in. I think we need 5 requests for an official party, right?

Johnothon
08-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm in.

Snow White
08-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Yay-- added a vote for LYS to the Listening Party thread. I think we need four more votes to make it an 'official' listening party.

beanstew
08-02-2010, 08:47 PM
She was so amazing at Cambridge Folk Festival. I didn't get any video or a set-list but got a couple of stills.

http://beanstew.co.uk/static/images/cff20100729-0801/cff2010-natalie-merchant-01-20100731.jpg

The other woman is China Forbes from the fabulous Pink Martini.

http://beanstew.co.uk/static/images/cff20100729-0801/cff2010-natalie-merchant-02-20100731.jpg

The set did include Crazy Man Michael which was amazing.

schitzonicsox
08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Yay-- added a vote for LYS to the Listening Party thread. I think we need four more votes to make it an 'official' listening party.

Thanks. Just voted.

Rob
08-04-2010, 05:37 AM
I just added a 4th vote to the listening party thread. :)

Rob
08-04-2010, 05:41 AM
The other woman is China Forbes from the fabulous Pink Martini.

Great pic. It seems that no one took any video at the festival, though. Nothing on YouTube. :(

Kala
08-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Snow White - I voted. And I would absolutely LOVE to see her perform with a full orchestra.

holdenglass
08-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Natalie was in great spirits last night at the Maryhill Winery in Washington. Got the setlist and i think there was one debut.

Motherland
Weeping Pilgrim
Gold Rush Brides(!!!)
Diver Boy
Penny's Farm (great dancing started here and continued the rest of the show)
The Sleepy Giant
The Man in the Wilderness
The King of China's Daughter
Maggie, Milly, Molly, and May
The Peppery Man
The Janitor's Boy
Bleezer's Ice Cream
The Adventures of Isabel
Calico Pie
The Dancing Bear
Equestrienne

Encore:
Wonder
These Days (!!!!)
Carnival
Hey Jack Kerouac
San Andreas Fault
Don't Talk
The Worst Thing

Second Encore:
If No One Marries Me
Kind and Generous

Really great show and someone flashed Natalie their breasts during Kind and Generous, she had to stop singing for a minute and explain to the band what happened. She then told the woman she had too much to drink and that she was a little frightened as this was the first time this has happened to her.

Snow White
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
^ That set list is insane. Did she offer an explanation for why all the 10,000 Maniacs songs came out? (Also, Down on Penny's Farm and Diver Boy!)

I feel bad for Natalie re: the flashing incident-- must have been insanely awkward for her-- but I do kinda hope her reaction surfaces on youtube. Must have been hilarious.

holdenglass
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I really hope some videos do surface of this show unfortunately i had crappy seats so no video. She did seem a little bothered but then she just decided to have fun with it, she continued to shake hands during Kind and Generous but when she got to the flasher she said "naughty!" and everyone was laughing. No explanation for all the 10,000 Maniacs songs, it surprised me to hear Gold Rush Brides so early and then all the songs at the end really got the crowd excited.

Rob
08-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Natalie Merchant And American Radical Traditionalism (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-shasha/natalie-merchant-and-amer_b_645619.html)

Johnothon
08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
There are boots up on Dime of a radio broadcast from Hamburg back in May, and last weeks Los Angeles show (which is not a radio broadcast). The LA show has a fucking jacked up set; City of Angels, River, The Letter (!!!!), Hey Jack Kerouac, Weeping Pilgrim and Crazy Man Michael all show up in the encores, and the sound quality is fantastic. Get it while it's hot, you guys!

Snow White
08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
^ Ahhh... I want to hear that show but can't use dime. For some reason, nobody ever uploads from me and my d/l ratio got too low.

The Seaward
08-18-2010, 12:00 AM
a friend just offered to take me to the natalie show in dallas on thursday, but i can't get off work. :(

toriMODE
08-18-2010, 06:19 PM
a friend just offered to take me to the natalie show in dallas on thursday, but i can't get off work. :(

Call in sick.

The Seaward
08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
i haz inventory prep. der fhrer (my boss) would insist i come in, even if i were on my deathbed. wish i could, though!

beanstew
08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
OMG someone has youtubed Natalie performing Crazy Man Michael at Cambridge Folk Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQudwvnCnm0

beanstew
08-21-2010, 07:24 PM
2100h on Sky Arts. Highlights from Cambridge Folk Festival including Natalie Merchant. :)

Johnothon
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
2100h on Sky Arts. Highlights from Cambridge Folk Festival including Natalie Merchant. :)

My ex had Sky, and now I could really use him. Damn. :D

I want to post this because the piano intro is beautiful, Natalie looks darling and sounds even better, Jennifer Turner has it going on, and Letterman clearly wants to break Nat's pelvis. I always forget how fantastic this song is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dlzOGeq3C0

beanstew
08-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Natalie is being interviewed by Mark Radcliffe. :)

SouthernLad
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I am seeing her tonight for the first time. I can't wait!

Snow White
08-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Listening party news:

Yesterday's LYS listening party was fun but scarcely attended, probably because it was late afternoon and there weren't many posters around. We stopped after disc 1 so we could reschedule for disc 2 and maybe get more people involved. Anyone up for a disc 2 listening party next week? We were thinking some time after 6 EST would work best.

And in other news, Wonder is being featured on the BBC World Service:

Over the course of two weeks, the BBC World Service will be hearing from some of the biggest names in world music, who will talk about the songs they have written which struck a chord with a nation, or a generation.

The songs have become huge hits in countries such as China, Iran, Russia and Australia; songs about subjects as diverse as love, rebellion and the environment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2010/08/100810_striking_a_chord_sl.shtml

schitzonicsox
08-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Listening party news:

Yesterday's LYS listening party was fun but scarcely attended, probably because it was late afternoon and there weren't many posters around. We stopped after disc 1 so we could reschedule for disc 2 and maybe get more people involved. Anyone up for a disc 2 listening party next week? We were thinking some time after 6 EST would work best.

Next Monday or Tuesday evening works for me for Disc 2

Peter Z
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I covered Natalie's show in Oakland, CA a couple weeks ago for Glide Magazine... unfortunately the editor didn't catch any of the grammar mistakes I made when I finished this late in the evening... but it's just my contribution to how the tour has been! I'd love to hear your thoughts. :D

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/56321/natalie-merchant.html

Snow White
09-02-2010, 04:14 PM
^ Did you know a quote from your article was included in the Nonesuch press release?

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/natalie-merchant-concludes-summer-tour-new-album-shows-defining-singer-songwriter-her-generation-2010-09-01

I thought it sounded familiar when I started reading it. :)

. . .

ETA: Thoughts about the tour, now that it's finished:

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about a tour in a long, long time. (Probably since Scarlet's Walk?) There was this infectious energy about it. Even at their saddest ("Spring and Fall," "River") these shows seemed like an affirmation of what it means to be human, the learning process it entails, and the creative things we make out of our joys and sorrows. I love how the shows became an event that seemed to transcend the relationship between the audience and the musicians on stage, and reached out to all of the poets who passed away and even all the folk musicians responsible for carrying on the genres that Natalie was tapping into with her arrangements. Along with its theme of childhood, Leave Your Sleep also has a lot to say about memory and tradition.

I don't know. Maybe that all sounds hyperbolic. But I can't say enough about how much I appreciated this tour. [post28]

holdenglass
09-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Not hyperbolic at all, just well stated. Thanks for putting into words what i had been thinking since the show.

Peter Z
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
snow white-- I had no idea they used that! Wow. I feel kinda flattered right now! :)

Snow White
10-07-2010, 02:00 AM
I'm probably alone in this, but I had no idea this song existed until just recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYhI-GvxUw

Andyland
10-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Any word on what was performed at the recent orchestra shows?

NUHN
11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Wonderful high quality interview and performance from April, I think there are six parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4LnXTKu7w

Oh wait, there might be only two parts.

Snow White
11-08-2010, 01:00 AM
^ The Horse Flies (the band who performed with her at that show) are fantastic. Judy Hyman and Richie Sterns were amazing at the Leave Your Sleep shows too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGg6XiwFffU

NUHN
11-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I neglected to add this to the above videos. Some brief comments from Natalie about eTown, and a performance of "The Janitor's Boy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFB5wdBlzxI

Hannah.
02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I've been on an Ophelia tip lately - I think it's easily cemented itself in my top ten favorite albums ever. Thick as Thieves is nothing short of amazing. The lyrics! Is it safe to say those are some of the finest lyrics ever written? I think so.

Nick
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Whenever I think of great lyrics, Thick As Thieves is the first song that springs to mind. It is just a beautiful bit of writing.

HumptyDumpty
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Ophelia is definitely a masterpiece of an album. The video itself is one of my favorites ever. And that ending orchestral bit after The Golden Bells, I am endlessly moved by it.

Andyland
09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
An Intimate Acoustic Evening with Natalie Merchant (http://highlineballroom.com/bio.php?id=2146)

beanstew
09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Sounds wonderful. I hope she brings that show to this side of the pond. :)

Andyland
09-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm very curious to see if it's going to be a career overview type of set, or just focused on more recent work.

Nick
09-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Ooooh I want... but I want to know if it's all encompassing or still riding the coattails of Leave Your Sleep!

Peter Z
09-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Did you guys see the shows on the Leave Your Sleep tour? At points they were definitely self-indulgent, but it really opened up the album for me, and I found the shows to be highly engaging. Was very impressed, and especially liked the new life she injected into the older material.

I'm jealous I can't go to this.... hope one of you fabulous NYC people can and report back! :)

JHV
09-20-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm jealous I can't go to this.... hope one of you fabulous NYC people can and report back! :)

I'm going! I'll definitely give you a full report. I'm hoping it focuses on Natalie's entire career, not just the Leave Your Sleep stuff, but since I didn't see a show on that tour and it got such positive reviews, I know I won't be disappointed either way. It'll be amazing to see her in such a small and intimate venue. I'm really surprised it hasn't sold out yet, although I guess there's been no press or advertising for it yet.

Kala
09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
it got such positive reviews, I know I won't be disappointed either way.

It was a fantastic tour, and the glowing reviews were well-deserved. I saw her twice: first in an acoustic performance, then later in the year with a full band. She was warm, engaging, energetic, and her voice was in top form. I wish I lived near NYC because I'd be going.

Nick
10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
How was the show? Retrospective or Leave Your Sleep-centric? Also would be interesting to hear if there was any new stuff played. I was really hoping her next "pop" album would be close on the heels of LYS, since she supposedly had a bunch written/recorded.

uskidsknow
10-18-2011, 08:19 PM
I went to the show. The way it was billed was a little bit misleading. It was actually an impromptu benefit concert for someone she/the band knew (Natalie never specified).

The setlist didn't contain anything particularly rare or intriguing, but it's always so great to hear Natalie nonetheless. I took down the setlist:

Gold Rush Brides
Wonder
Carnival
River
Cowboy Romance
Break Your Heart
Tell Yourself
Weeping Pilgrim
Solider, Soldier
Calico Pie
The Janitor's Boy
Man in the Wilderness
Motherland
Kind and Generous

She was in great spirits and told some nice stories. At one point she forgot the lyrics to something very standard (Break Your Heart, I think) and her and Gabe went into a rousing rendition of Everyday People.

I was hoping for some rarities, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Kala
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey Natalie peeps! The fabulous Snow White has informed me that some tour dates have been announced for this year. I am SO going to be at the Ravinia show with my blanket, wine, and candles. (just love the venue.)

http://www.nataliemerchant.com/calendar

Blake
03-22-2012, 12:19 AM
The Minneapolis show is not till May 2013?!

Johnothon
04-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I've really been getting back into Natalie the past couple of weeks, after quite a bit away from her. Then I had a brainwave! Natalie boots are so thin on the ground (there are sites that have countless ones listed as in circulation but which don't actually appear to be online), so I thought I would upload all the ones I have (ranging from 1995 - 2012) in this thread so people could just come here instead of scouring through pages of search results. A few were downloaded from Dime and converted from FLAC into mp3 - are those okay to post? Anyway, I'll just go ahead and if anyone has anything they'd like to share, please do! :)

Some of the boots come with artwork which doesn't match the ID3 tags of the files themselves - this is because I am supremely anal about having things mislabeled, so rest assured the files are just so.

9/27/95 - Gainesville, Florida
San Andreas Fault
Wonder
Where I Go
Beloved Wife
Eat for Two
River
Carnival
These are Days
Jealousy

http://www.mediafire.com/?psp8ayfm83772mn

*also circulating under the name 'Garden Lillies'

4/13/96 - London, England
San Andreas Fault
Where I Go
River
Eat for Two
Carnival
These are Days
Jealousy
Fever
Wonder
The Best of Everything
Will the Circle be Unbroken
Beloved Wife
I May Know the Word
Seven Years
Baby I Love You
Son of a Preacher Man
Work Song
Take a Look
City of Angels
Ode to Billy Joe
How You've Grown
Verdi Cries
Jezebel
Noah's Dove
Don't Talk
I'm Not the Man

http://www.mediafire.com/?rw58nw21bf233fa

*also circulating under the name 'Where are the 10,000 Maniacs?'

5/03/96 - Normal, Illinois
San Andreas Fault
River
Carnival
Eat for Two
Wonder
These are Days
Jealousy
Fever
Where I Go
I May Know the Word
City of Angels
Don't Talk
Ode to Billy Joe
Cowboy Romance
The Letter
I Know How to Do it
Baby I Love You
Son of a Preacher Man

http://www.mediafire.com/?y8dq51hxdv581vj

2/25/98 - Portland, Maine
Ophelia
San Andreas Fault
Last Goodbye
Carnival
Surrender
Space Oddity
Life is Sweet
Stockton Gala Days
Wonder
When They Ring the Golden Bells
Kind & Generous
These are Days

http://www.mediafire.com/?3dpgabgosif8oe9

* this one is labelled all over the internet as being from 1996, but logically it can't be, as it's filled with songs from 'Ophelia' which wasn't released until 1998. The actual 1996 boots are all songs from 'Tigerlily'.

2/19/99 - Binghampton, New York
Ophelia
Wonder
Break Your Heart
Stockton Gala Days
Dust Bowl
Space Oddity
Carnival
Seven Years
Life is Sweet
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ijtkistk9o95zc

8/02/00 - Philadephia, Pennsylvania
Poor Wayfaring Stranger
Gold Rush Brides
Soldier, Soldier
House Carpenter
Cowboy Romance
Sweet Old World
Which Side are You On
Sally Ann
Weeping Pilgrim
Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow
Wonder
Frozen Charlotte
The Living
Break Your Heart
Life is Sweet
Kind & Generous
Carnival
San Andreas Fault
Hey Jack Kerouac
I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love
Down on Penny's Farm
Owensboro

http://www.mediafire.com/?nxt0b26wu2vc1qj

3/02/02 - Albany, New York
I'm Not Gonna Beg
Build a Levee
Break Your Heart
Wonder
San Andreas Fault
King of May
Cowboy Romance
Fever
Put the Law on You
Hey Jack Kerouac
Don't Talk
River
My Skin
Thick as Thieves
Golden Boy
Carnival
This House is on Fire
These are Days
Just Can't Last
Kind & Generous
Motherland

http://www.mediafire.com/?s1or3iscacekyoe
http://www.mediafire.com/?awdm4wm954yfqft

* this one's split in two because it's too big as a single file. Fantastic show, she tears the roof off 'King of May' and 'I'm Not Gonna Beg'.

3/24/02 - Santa Rosa, California
Build a Levee
Put the Law on You
Cowboy Romance
Gold Rush Brides
San Andreas Fault
Golden Boy
Break Your Heart
Wonder
I'm Not Gonna Beg
Seven Years
Carnival
Hey Jack Kerouac
Saint Judas
The Lost Soul
This House is on Fire
These are Days
Motherland
Kind & Generous
California Dreamin'
Life is Sweet

http://www.mediafire.com/?hc1uho8a4gu3bu8

5/25/02 - Paris, France
Wonder
Build a Levee
Motherland
Tell Yourself
I'm Not Gonna Beg
Thick as Thieves
Owensboro
Diver Boy
Break Your Heart
Carnival
My Skin
The Living
Saint Judas
What's the Matter Here
Weeping Pilgrim
Life is Sweet
I Know How to Do it
Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow
Kind & Generous
Seven Years
Beloved Wife

http://www.mediafire.com/?zvohk26t6sqzlka

6/23/02 - Marysville, California
I'm Not Gonna Beg
Frozen Charlotte
Build a Levee
San Andreas Fault
Put the Law on You
Break Your Heart
Wonder
These are Days
Carnival
This House is on Fire
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?4k2i22k01ia378z

5/10/10 - Brussels, Belgium
Vain and Careless
The Sleepy Giant
The Janitor's Boy
Calico Pie
The Peppery Man
Indian Names
Crying, My Little One
Spring and Fall: To a Young Child
Equestrienne
The Land of Nod
Cowboy Romance
Motherland
Carnival
Break Your Heart
Tell Yourself
Kind & Generous
From the Time We Say Goodbye

http://www.mediafire.com/?r5bkdlbaaacotz2

5/14/10 - Hamburg, Germany
Vain and Careless
The Sleepy Giant
The Janitor's Boy
Calico Pie
The Peppery Man
Maggie and Milly and Molly and May (false start)
Indian Names
Crying, My Little One
Equestrienne
Tell Yourself
Motherland
Break Your Heart
Carnival
These are Days
Build a Levee
San Andreas Fault
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?5la7uyj19jbppoo

5/26/10 - Edinburgh, Scotland
introduction/medley
The Land of Nod
The Sleepy Giant
The Janitor's Boy
Calico Pie
The Peppery Man
Vain and Careless
Indian Names
Crying, My Little One
Equestrienne
Carnival
Golden Boy
Don't Talk
Motherland
Break Your Heart
Tell Yourself
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?db21hunt51a6poo

8/13/10 - Los Angeles, California
The Sleepy Giant
The Peppery Man
The Janitor's Boy
Bleezer's Ice-Cream
Adventures of Isabel
a reading from The Book of Nonsense
Calico Pie
The Dancing Bear
Equestrienne
Wonder
Carnival
Hey Jack Kerouac
Break Your Heart
Don't Talk
City of Angels
River
The Worst Thing
The Letter
Weeping Pilgrim
Crazy Man Michael
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?1eihow6pti8dnme

8/24/10 - Clearwater, Florida
The Sleepy Giant
The Peppery Man
The Janitor's Boy
Bleezer's Ice-Cream
Adventures of Isabel
Calico Pie
The Dancing Bear
Equestrienne
Cowboy Romance
Weeping Pilgrim
Wonder
Carnival
Hey Jack Kerouac
Break Your Heart
River
The Worst Thing
The Letter
These are Days
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?pocwxhybpcuvgbg
http://www.mediafire.com/?wybvub0xnyz8bzx

* split in two as file was too big for Mediafire. This is actually ripped from YouTube - great quality though, and it's all one source (LizaJaneAudiophile (http://www.youtube.com/user/LizaJaneAudiophile)).

3/05/11 - Red Hook, New York
The Land of Nod
Life is Sweet
Equestrienne
Beloved Wife
Gold Rush Bride
She Devil
Butterfly
Verdi Cries
Henry Darger
This House is on Fire
chat
The Sleepy Giant
Sonnet 73
The Letter
The Worst Thing
Indian Names
Vain and Careless
Autumn Lullaby

http://www.mediafire.com/?io1aoft4zss66pi

7/08/11 - Chautauqua, New York
introduction
The Land of Nod
Life is Sweet
Equestrienne
Beloved Wife
Gold Rush Brides
She Devil
Butterfly
Verdi Cries
Henry Darger
This House is on Fire
The Sleepy Giant
Sonnet 73
The Letter
The Worst Thing
Indian Names
Autumn Lullaby
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?669smmui8qbd28s

3/10/12 - Binghampton, New York
Motherland
Texas
Build a Levee
Break Your Heart
Wonder
Carnival
Saint Judas
Gold Rush Brides
Weeping Pilgrim
Diver Boy
Sally Ann
Poison in the Well
Which Side are You On
Down on Penny's Farm
Calico Pie
Kind & Generous

http://www.mediafire.com/?s26nsdi9236yvxf

Other bits & bobs

VH1 Storytellers
introduction
These are Days
Carnival
What's the Matter Here
Kind & Generous
Break Your Heart
Wonder
Verdi Cries
These are Days (bonus)
Life is Sweet (bonus)

* the 'These are Days' in the main show is cut but the full performance was a bonus on the DVD.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t3idlr8atsct4o4

9/01/88 - 10,000 Maniacs - BBC Radio 3/Andy Kershaw Sessions
Don't Talk
Poison in the Well
Gun Shy
What's the Matter Here?

http://www.mediafire.com/?lrpt5b1g28l9y7z

9/14/95 - German FM
River
I May Know the Word
Carnival
Where I Go
San Andreas Fault
Sympathy for the Devil

http://www.mediafire.com/?5rxnr6vw6o306w5

1/08/96 - German FM
Where I Go
Carnival
Fever
Wonder
Long Black Veil
Beloved Wife
Will the Circle be Unbroken
I May Know the Word

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xhqmcc007cssm5

6/14/02 - BBC Radio 3/Andy Kershaw Sessions
I'm Not Gonna Beg
interview
The Living
Build a Levee
interview
The Lost Soul
interview

http://www.mediafire.com/?5i78qbv78xw1jtk

3/04/11 - Red Hook, New York/WWKZ FM
Motherland
interview
interview
interview
interview
Tell Yourself
The Sleepy Giant
The Janitor's Boy
outro

http://www.mediafire.com/?qltthspfdsfcbbd

Johnothon
04-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I finished uploading all the boots, so I hope people dive in!

Been in a House Carpenter's Daughter mood lately. I never really paid it all that much attention - there was something initially off-putting about the deepening of Natalie's voice all those years ago, something I found really sludgy and unpalatable. Now of course, I can't believe how much her voice has improved with age. It's so rich and delicious, I would rather hear her singing her old songs in her deepened tone than listen to the original recordings!

NUHN
04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I've been enjoying her traditional "Children, Go Where I Send Thee" from the A Very Special Christmas 3 compliation. I don't always like her more bluesy/Gospel stylings, but that one clicked with me.

Johnothon
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
^ She can be a bit hit and miss when experimenting with different styles (her cover of One Fine Day does nothing at all for me), but Children Go Where I Send Thee is great. So, too, is The Lowlands of Holland, with the Chieftains. Love that one.

Andyland
04-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Not a huge piece of news, but I noticed that Pollstar shows her in Newark, NJ on December 9th, which isn't on her website's calendar.

Nick
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Anybody going to the Albany show tomorrow? I'm interested to hear if it's still nursery rhymes, pop stuff or the new orchestral project that was mentioned a while back.

ETA: Oops, just realized tonight is just the anti-fracking benefit, so may not represent what she's going to be touring the rest of the year. First realy show is the 29th I guess.

Johnothon
05-14-2012, 08:51 PM
She did a random show in Santa Ana last Wednesday (just her guys, no orchestra) and it was pretty much a greatest hits affair with a few album cuts/10KManiacs tracks. Only two or three Leave Your Sleep songs. I'm curious to know if the orchestra tour will feature new arrangments from the last time she did a series of those sorts of shows.

Nick
06-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Anybody go to the show this week, or any news if anything new was debuted or discussed?

Johnothon
06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Anybody go to the show this week, or any news if anything new was debuted or discussed?

According to a NM Facebook group I'm a member of, this was the setlist in Raleigh a few nights ago:

The Land of Nod
Life is Sweet
Equestrienne
Beloved Wife
Gold Rush Brides
She Devil
maggie and milly and molly and may
Butterfly
Verdi Cries
Spring and Fall: to a young child
Henry Darger
This House is on Fire
The Sleepy Giant
Sonnet 73
The Letter
The Worst Thing
Indian Names
Autumn Lullaby
These are Days
Break Your Heart
Motherland
Kind & Generous

So nothing wildly different to the sets from last year's orchestra shows. Apparently a fan asked Natalie about the next album and Natalie said it would be out in the fall and it would be "similar" to Leave Your Sleep. Wonder what that means.

Nick
06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Interesting set list - was she doing This House Is On Fire last time around? Fantastic song. In fact I really like the general Motherland love. Sad she didn't play anything from the upcoming album, but I'm glad one is concretely in the works. Still doesn't sound like the pop album I'm waiting for, but... maybe someday? Thanks for sharing the set :)

Johnothon
06-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Interesting set list - was she doing This House Is On Fire last time around? Fantastic song. In fact I really like the general Motherland love. Sad she didn't play anything from the upcoming album, but I'm glad one is concretely in the works. Still doesn't sound like the pop album I'm waiting for, but... maybe someday? Thanks for sharing the set :)

She was! She played it with an orchestra in 2008 as well, so it's floated in and out of the sets ever since Motherland, I guess. But I totally agree, it's a class song! Someone on that same FB group posted the set from last night's (June 9) show in Cincinnati with the Cincinnati Pops and it's mammoth:

01 The Land of Nod
02 Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience
03 Life is Sweet
04 Equestrienne
05 The King of China's Daughter
06 Beloved Wife
07 Gold Rush Brides
08 She Devil
09 maggie and milly and molly and may
10 Butterfly
11 Verdi Cries
12 Spring and Fall: to a young child
13 Henry Darger
14 This House is on Fire
15 The Man in the Wilderness
16 The Sleepy Giant
17 Sonnet 73
18 The Letter
19 The Worst Thing
20 Indian Names
21 The End
22 Break Your Heart
23 Carnival
24 Wonder
25 These are Days
26 Top of the World
27 If No One Ever Marries Me
28 Motherland
29 Tell Yourself
30 medley including The Gambler, Dust in the Wind, Hey Jude and I am the Walrus
31 Adventures of Isabel
32 Kind & Generous

Natalie really has impressed me in recent years. Her voice has gotten so much more powerful in the last decade and she shows great stamina with these kind of shows.

Kala
06-10-2012, 06:19 PM
A 32 song setlist?! I <3 this woman so much.

Nick
06-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Was a studio cut of The End ever released? Would live to hear everything she made with T. Bone!

Johnothon
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm 99% sure the studio cut never circulated. There are live performances from 2008 (first with her full band and then the Boston Pops) but those are the only recordings I know of. Here's hoping someone's recorded the latest orchestra shows. One of the Hiro Ballroom '08 shows where she does The End, she's crying all the way through it.

Peter Z
06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
I cannot wait to see her tonight with the SF Symphony? Kind of freaking out that it's happening. I sort of gave up hope that I'd hear "Verdi Cries" in concert, since I was 6 when the 10,000 Maniacs broke up :)

Nick
06-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I cannot wait to see her tonight with the SF Symphony? Kind of freaking out that it's happening. I sort of gave up hope that I'd hear "Verdi Cries" in concert, since I was 6 when the 10,000 Maniacs broke up :)

Enjoy the show! Love to hear your review after, and really hope she keeps Verdi on the setlist for you.

Kala
06-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Positive write-up about the show with the San Francisco Symphony. (http://www.feastofmusic.com/feast_of_music/2012/06/natalie-merchant-with-the-san-francisco-symphony-.html)

Here's a pic.

http://www.feastofmusic.com/.a/6a00d8341c4fb353ef017615b292fb970c-800wi

So hoping I can catch her next year in one of these symphony performances.

SouthernLad
06-22-2012, 01:17 PM
So hoping I can catch her next year in one of these symphony performances.

Has there been any indication that she'll do this next year? I'm missing out on this mini tour and I really hope she does!!

Johnothon
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Has there been any indication that she'll do this next year? I'm missing out on this mini tour and I really hope she does!!

These are the confirmed (so far) 2013 dates:

2013.03.23 Charlotte, NC (Belk Theater, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center) with the Charlotte Symphony
2013.04.12 Fort Worth, TX (Bass Performance Hall) with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra
2013.04.13 Fort Worth, TX (Bass Performance Hall) with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra
2013.04.14 Fort Worth, TX (Bass Performance Hall) with the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra
2013.05.10 Minneapolis, MN (The Auditorium at the Minneapolis Convention Center) with the Minnesota Orchestra

:) Wish the bitch would come to the UK.

NUHN
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Natalie is just so wholesome! lol And I mean that in the nicest, most non-ironic way possible, I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kxjwcr8iSQ

Kala
07-01-2012, 07:43 PM
^ <3 !
I had the pleasure of meeting her in 2010 when she was here to do a promotional signing for Leave Your Sleep. When it was my turn to get my CD signed, I was rendered absolutely speechless (how embarrassing.) I hung about a while taking photos until the event was over, and then Natalie came over to me and said something like "Kala, I feel terrible because I thought I did something to upset you." And I was like "nooooo, i'm just really nervous." And then to my horror I teared up and gave her a hug! She was not only kind enough to warmly return the embrace, but she then took the time to speak with me for a bit.

I have nothing but loads of admiration and respect for her as both an artist and as a person. While many famous musicians pushing 50 are trying to look 30, Natalie is letting her beautiful hair go grey. And when I met her, she wore but a stitch of make-up.

NUHN
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I know, I agree completely with you. And it's just amazing how long she's been putting out her work into the world and inspiring young people and getting people interested in history and poetry and the arts and civic works. It's easy to be cynical about it (she's just a pop star after all) but she has been so generous and inspiring and I too really admire her. She's the definition of a breath of fresh air and her sincerity and passion over the years has just been a joy to observe. /gushing

Peter Z
07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Here's my review of the show in SF-- http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/58626/natalie-merchant-w-the-san-francisco-symphony.html

I still get over how much I loved the show. If I have the chance again in 2013, I'm going to go out of my way to see her.

Kala
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm going to try and see her next year in TX where she'll be playing three nights with the Fort Worth Symphony. Will see if I can get tickets for a couple of the shows.

NUHN
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Natalie talking about fracking and the possibility of it returning to New York. She also deals with a semi-heckler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyA4Tnx5mY

Nick
10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
So there are some preview pages up from the Leave Your Sleep picture book on Amazon, including a TOC. I know for sure Natalie mentioned some tracks were recorded but not released from the original album, and I was hoping a few would show up here, but looks like a no-go. The good news is that Old Mother Hubbard (the iTunes bonus track) is included, so hopefully it will be on the accompanying CD and get a much-deserved proper release! Regardless, the book looks very nice - definitely a future Christmas present for the niece and nephew!

Kala
10-02-2012, 03:29 AM
So there are some preview pages up from the Leave Your Sleep picture book on Amazon, including a TOC. I know for sure Natalie mentioned some tracks were recorded but not released from the original album, and I was hoping a few would show up here, but looks like a no-go. The good news is that Old Mother Hubbard (the iTunes bonus track) is included, so hopefully it will be on the accompanying CD and get a much-deserved proper release! Regardless, the book looks very nice - definitely a future Christmas present for the niece and nephew!

Where are you seeing this?

Johnothon
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
^ Kala, it's here (http://www.amazon.com/Leave-Your-Sleep-Natalie-Merchant/dp/0374343683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349172585&sr=8-1&keywords=leave+your+sleep). I had no idea there was a book coming out, nor about any iTunes bonus track.

Kala
10-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Ahh, thanks. I was so looking forward to some new music from Natalie. I love and appreciate what she's done with both projects: Leave Your Sleep and The House Carpenter's Daughter, but it's been more than a decade since she's written *pop* music with original lyrics. I'm wondering if she's even interested in doing that anymore.

Nick
10-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Oops, sorry, I had the link on my clipboard but forgot to paste it into the message :)

Here's the blurb from Natalie's news page:

LEAVE YOUR SLEEP TO BECOME A PICTURE BOOK
June 02, 2012

For the past year, award winning children's book illustrator Barbara McClintock has been lovingly creating a picture book based upon Leave Your Sleep, Natalie Merchant's double-album of classic children's poetry adapted to music. Frances Foster Books, an imprint of Farrar Straus Giroux and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group will publish this beautiful hard cover, 48-page, full-color book including a CD with 19 songs. Available in stores nationwide November 13, 2012.

From the Introduction:

When Frances Foster contacted me with the plan to transform this collection of songs into a picture book for children I was intrigued. But when she suggested that Barbara McClintock be the illustrator, I was thrilled. Her work has delighted and charmed me for many years; it is of the greatest technical quality yet deeply soulful. I've always had a love for picture books; their illustrations, poems and stories create and preserve an enchanted place of innocence we move through as children but can return to as adults. My hope is that this collaborative book of poems, pictures and music will provide many enchanted hours to children eager for beauty and the sort of adventure that happens between the pages of a book and the words of a song.

Nick
10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Ahh, thanks. I was so looking forward to some new music from Natalie. I love and appreciate what she's done with both projects: Leave Your Sleep and The House Carpenter's Daughter, but it's been more than a decade since she's written *pop* music with original lyrics. I'm wondering if she's even interested in doing that anymore.

She added the new/unreleased Texas to her sets, which is close enough to pop for me! Would love a new album with this track on it :) Absolutely beautiful song, and evidence enough she can still write some amazing original material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6QAB8Yois

Johnothon
10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
^ Texas is a great song, I really like it and it's nice that she keeps it around.

Kala
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, I love that song!

beanstew
11-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Not Natalie but I'm guessing there are a few 10KM fans in this thread. :)

I've only just seen that there is a Pledge Music campaign for a new 10KM album.

New Album: Music From The Motion Picture (http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/10km?utm_campaign=project5009&utm_medium=activity&utm_source=twitter)

Join our interactive pre-sale campaign by pledging and unlock access to exclusive videos, photos, and more!

(Be sure to watch intro video above by clicking on pic)

Welcome to the official pre-order site for the new 10,000 Maniacs album!

When we began writing and recording songs 30 years ago, we needed the commitment of friends and family to make our first two records, Human Conflict # 5 and Secrets of the I-Ching. Without their support, neither record would have been made and all they got for their promise was a wax album, a hand shake and postcards from the road.

By pledging here, you are securing the right to download the new album before it is released elsewhere and you are gaining private access to a stream of exclusive videos, photos (old & new), interviews and updates from the studio.

Even better, we’re empowering you the fans to like, share, tweet, pin and post these unique items and experiences, thereby becoming our promo team!

We’ll be reading and responding to your comments, so please let us know what you’d like to see here!

10,000 Thanks!
Jerry, Steve, Dennis, Jeff and Mary

Johnothon
11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Oh my goodness, a new 10KM album? When the hell was the last one? 10 years ago? More?

NUHN
11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Neat, I'm glad they are still making music together.

I opened this thead to say that House Carpenter's Daughter might be my favorite Natalie album though. The production, sequencing, and song choices are all amazing and of course Natalie's voice is just remarkable. It is so much more than a "covers" album.

beanstew
01-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Now matter how many times I watch this performance of Verdi Cries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4pE9-_gL88

Goosebumps every time.

Kala
01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
SO beautiful. She has such a gorgeous voice and is absolutely one of my favorite songwriters.

Nick
01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
My copy of the picture book should be arriving at my library today or tomorrow :) looking forward to giving it a look! (And hoping they left the CD in - yay for full quality Old Mother Hubbard!)

Johnothon
01-18-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/entertainment/breaking-news/2013/jan/17/natalie-merchant-to-perform-with-live-symphony-in-ar-609373/

According to this interview with Natalie, the new album will be out this Spring, will be the first collection of original material since Motherland and will be dark as all get out. I'm in!

Nick
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Thank you, thank you. That is the most exciting album announcement I've heard all year. If "Texas" is any indication, it will be worth the wait.

Some of the songs were left over from "Motherland," for which she says she had enough material for three albums...

So it's a big one, this album. It's a big, dark cluster of songs.

Yes, please.

Kala
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/entertainment/breaking-news/2013/jan/17/natalie-merchant-to-perform-with-live-symphony-in-ar-609373/

According to this interview with Natalie, the new album will be out this Spring, will be the first collection of original material since Motherland and will be dark as all get out. I'm in!

I am so excited about this! I am a HUGE fan of Miss Merchant and this is the best news I've heard all day.

NUHN
05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I didn't realize Natalie has lived in New York state all her life, it's understandable why she's so passionate about this fracking issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdHGEjjuQg

And new album news, I don't recall if this was posted yet:

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/arts/articles/20130308natalie-merchant-interview-album-phoenix-symphony.html

The new album is a darker ride than “Leave Your Sleep.”

“I wrote many songs during the Bush era that didn’t see the light of day,” she says. “And it was hard to be optimistic in those days. But they’re good songs. And even though the players have changed, the situations haven’t. I tend to examine power and the abuse of power. That seems to be the bone that I’ve been chewing on for decades.”

Merchant talks about the “long dark shadow” cast by global warming, our nation’s continued dependence on fossil fuels and the dangers of hydraulic fracturing as reasons she’s not seeing any reason to believe that things have gotten any better under President Obama.

“There’s one song that directly addresses global warming,” Merchant says. “But it’s pretty hard to talk about these issues in music, I find, because it’s so large. Maybe that’s also why I’ve really embraced working with orchestras, because the ability to address something that has this monumental scale with an orchestra seems to be easier for me.”

Baltic
05-06-2013, 01:25 AM
I've never really listened to Natalie Merchant (except a clip here and there years ago) but I decided to order two of her most popular (I guess) albums: Tigerlily and Ophelia. I should hopefully get them this week and will post my reaction. I'm looking forward to discovering a new artist!!

NUHN
05-06-2013, 02:08 AM
You are in for a huge treat!

Akira
05-06-2013, 03:43 AM
^^This post made me dig up Ophelia and give it a spin.
Wow. I forgot how awesome Frozen Charlotte, Thick as Thieves and the title track were.

Kala
05-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I've never really listened to Natalie Merchant (except a clip here and there years ago) but I decided to order two of her most popular (I guess) albums: Tigerlily and Ophelia. I should hopefully get them this week and will post my reaction. I'm looking forward to discovering a new artist!!

She is one of my favorite singer/songwriters and both of those albums are fantastic. I hope you enjoy them!

ETA: Holy shit. I guess we're getting orchestral tours. I AM THERE.

Andyland
05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I kind of get the impression that she's going to continue doing an orchestral show here and there, but not a full tour.

Nora
05-08-2013, 02:43 AM
If you get the chance to go to an orchestral show, do it! I went to one a little while ago and it was incredible.

Scottish Mike
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I've been listening to Leave Your Sleep for the first time today and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love the songwriting, and the vocals compliment the lyrics perfectly. I've always loved her voice, but it just sounds great on this album; warm, deep and smoky. The music is great, and I like the direction she headed in for this one. Calico Pie, Bleezer's Ice Cream and It Makes a Change are my favourites at the moment.

Kala
07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
I've been listening to Leave Your Sleep for the first time today and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I love the songwriting, and the vocals compliment the lyrics perfectly. I've always loved her voice, but it just sounds great on this album; warm, deep and smoky. The music is great, and I like the direction she headed in for this one. Calico Pie, Bleezer's Ice Cream and It Makes a Change are my favourites at the moment.

I LOVE this album and Natalie signed a copy for me. I saw her twice in 2011 and both shows were fantastic! Wish I could make it to one of her orchestral shows.

Nick
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Oh, I am so getting this:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-145825-natalie-merchant-motherland-limited-edition-180g-import-lp.aspx

sleeptheclock
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Wow. That's one album I never expected to get released in vinyl. Nice! Maybe they'll release Ophelia someday, too.

Nick
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I ordered my Tigerlily 6 weeks ago, and it was supposed to ship in 4-6 weeks; I'm terrified they'll write any day to tell me they can't get a copy. I did see a copy in one of the shops here, but it was like $50 at least.

sleeptheclock
08-08-2013, 04:21 PM
I've seen Tigerlily at a few record stores in NYC. It is pricey! Not really a fan of that album, to be honest ... But Motherland and (if it ever happens) Ophelia on vinyl would be amazing.

The only Natalie Merchant music I have on vinyl is Our Time in Eden.

Nick
08-08-2013, 05:14 PM
How is that vinyl? I thought about buying it last month when I ordered Tigerlily (saw it for relatively cheap) but am interested to hear about the quality.

Nick
11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Was browsing Natalie's Facebook to see if there was any news; according to one comment from the Louisville show, she mentioned the album was tentatively scheduled for April 2014. Sad that it's been delayed so much, but glad to finally see some more news.

beanstew
11-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Natalie Merchant (the A-Side) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k3hdb)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaADo_SCYAAsgkp.jpg:medium
John Wilson returns with a new series of Mastertapes, in which he talks to leading performers and songwriters about the album that made them or changed them. Recorded in front of a live audience at the BBC's iconic Maida Vale Studios. Each edition includes two episodes, with John initially quizzing the artist about the album in question, and then, in the B-side, the audience puts the questions. Both editions feature exclusive live performances.

Programme 3, A-side. "Tigerlily" with Natalie Merchant
?
Completely self-funded (to ensure creative control),"Tigerlily" went on the sell over 5 million copies and continues to be Natalie Merchant's most successful album to date. Its bold and stripped down sound gave more emphasis to her powerful and often personal lyrics, including "Beloved Wife" (inspired by her grandfather's grief in the wake of her grandmother's passing) and "River" (written in response to the sudden and untimely death of her friend River Phoenix). The album also included the top-40 singles "Wonder" and "Jealousy", as well as her first top-ten hit as a solo artist, "Carnival".

The B-side of the programme, where it's the turn of the audience to ask the questions, can be heard tomorrow at 3.30pm.

Complete versions of the songs performed in the programme (and others) can be heard on the 'Mastertapes' pages on the Radio 4 website, where the programmes can also be downloaded and other musical goodies accessed.

Audio stream behind the link, hope it works for you guys outside of the UK.

Peter Z
11-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Isn't Motherland on vinyl, through Music On Vinyl?
http://www.discogs.com/Natalie-Merchant-Motherland/release/4906200

Nick
11-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Isn't Motherland on vinyl, through Music On Vinyl?
http://www.discogs.com/Natalie-Merchant-Motherland/release/4906200

It is! I got it last month, but I'm saving first listen for a nice quiet night at home, so can't vouch for the quality yet. Still waiting for my Tigerlily order to arrive; it's back-ordered, but allegedly they'll have more available in December sometime.

beanstew
01-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Explorations: Session Four
An exclusive new commission featuring Kronos Quartet, Natalie Merchant, Olivia Chaney and more (http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=16024)

Traditional and contemporary music collide in two unique collaborations

Donnacha Dennehy Grá agus Bás
Traditional Folk Songs

Natalie Merchant vocals
Sam Amidon vocals
Rhiannon Giddens vocals
Olivia Chaney vocals
Iarla O'Lionaird vocals
Kronos Quartet
Crash Ensemble

Ireland’s leading new music ensemble, Crash Ensemble is joined by vocalist Iarla O’Lionaird (The Gloaming, Afro Celt Sound System) in a unique encounter between traditional sean-nós songs and adventurous classical arrangements.

In the last 40 years, the boundless creativity of Kronos Quartet has brought them to collaborate with numerous artists from very different musical traditions – including Chinese pipa virtuoso Wu Man, Azeri master vocalist Alim Qasimov and Romanian gypsy band Taraf de Haïdouks.

Today’s exclusive new commission sees Kronos delve deep into the American folk songbook, as they team up for the first time with some of the most celebrated roots artists within the Nonesuch family.

That sounds amazing!

nathan zephyrus
01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
love love love Sam Amidon. I'm there!

I've never seen Natalie live so very much looking forward to this.

beanstew
01-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Cool. See you there! It's a great line-up. I love Kronos Quartet! Olivia Chaney is great too.

nathan zephyrus
01-25-2014, 11:21 AM
is wiki-tubing as we speak!

Andyland
02-13-2014, 04:13 PM
New self-titled album of original material coming May 6th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NUHN
02-13-2014, 04:27 PM
That's fantastic news! I love the new pictures too.

I kind of wish it wasn't self-titled, but I guess she probably feels she's reintroducing herself after such a long time of no completely original material. The description of the album sounds great though:

The album represents over a decade of songwriting that she describes as, "taking the measure of lives lived by surveying the damage: love gained and lost, regret, denial, surrender, greed, destructiveness, defeat, and occasional triumph.”

http://www.nataliemerchant.com/news/2014/2/100

Nick
02-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Thank God; every time I open this thread I'm afraid it's NOT going to be new album news. Could not be more excited. Tori, Sarah M, Nickel Creek (maybe) and Natalie in the same month? Crazy.

wout
02-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes!!!! Looking forward to this so much more than Tori's album tbh!

beanstew
02-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Fantastic news!

Snow White
02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Explorations: Session Four
An exclusive new commission featuring Kronos Quartet, Natalie Merchant, Olivia Chaney and more (http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=16024)

That sounds amazing!

Wait- wait! This is exciting enough to come out of lurk-dom for. Rhiannon Giddens and Natalie Merchant are singing together? Is there going to be a recording of this?

Kala
02-14-2014, 01:13 AM
New self-titled album of original material coming May 6th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been waiting with a glacier's patience for her to release an album with original lyrics and music! So happy to read this. <3

From her website:

Spring and summer tour dates will be announced soon.

I am there!

beanstew
02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Wait- wait! This is exciting enough to come out of lurk-dom for. Rhiannon Giddens and Natalie Merchant are singing together? Is there going to be a recording of this?

I don't know. I hope so as there's an amazing line-up on stage!

sleeptheclock
02-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Excited to finally get an album of original material from her! It's been way too long.

Peter Z
02-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Surprised "Butterfly" and "Andalusia" didn't make the cut, as she's been playing them a bunch live!

Nick
02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
So glad Texas made it; if the rest are that good...

jacob's room
02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Now this is truly exciting news. :)

Kala
02-15-2014, 12:01 AM
Just pre-ordered the CD! [dance]

Scottish Mike
02-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Great news, I'm very excited. I've been on a big Natalie kick for the last six months.

Also, I bought the Leave Your Sleep book plus CD for my nephew and gave it to him today. I hope he enjoys it. The artwork is really beautiful; it's a gorgeous book.

Kala
02-26-2014, 07:10 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3673/12799610294_df031fcfce_z.jpg

I love this photo. She looks elegant and relaxed.

Andyland
02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
I think she looks elegant and pensive, but I still like it :)

Kala
02-26-2014, 07:46 PM
^ I love that she's 50 years old and hasn't botoxed her face to oblivion. She is a natural beauty and I can vouch for that because I had the pleasure of meeting her.

beanstew
02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
She's the best! <3 So excited about seeing her in a fairly small concert hall in London soon. :)

Blake
02-27-2014, 11:23 PM
I think she looks elegant and pensive, but I still like it :)

Yea, I don't find she looks relaxed either, rather uptight looking. But we can all AGREE she looks beautiful!

Kala
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Yes, she is beautiful. When I met her she wore very little make-up and looked as though she's shunned the media's relentless examination of who's who in plastic surgery.

My photo:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3730/12841942774_d033500cef_z.jpg

And the two of us:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4118/4824543943_7fd7696ba0_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4138/4825155342_cea427df56_z.jpg

Kala
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
She's the best! <3 So excited about seeing her in a fairly small concert hall in London soon. :)

So jealous. I see she's playing 3 nights there! :)

entropy
02-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I've been obsessed with her song "Wonder" since I'm reading RJ Palacio's book, "Wonder".

Kala
02-28-2014, 11:41 PM
^ That's probably her most popular solo song with Carnival being a close second.

Nick
02-28-2014, 11:48 PM
I randomly decided to watch all 134 episodes of Xena on Netflix a couple months ago (Buffy is next!). The series used precisely one piece of pop music throughout its entire run. For some reason, they used Natalie's Carnival to score a scene of Xena (as Cleopatra) and Marc Anthony erotically feeding each other grapes in the middle of a room. Totally random.

entropy
02-28-2014, 11:50 PM
I bought Tigerlily in the mid 90s and never got into it. I sold it at one of those used CD shops. I'm rethinking that decision now.

Kala
02-28-2014, 11:59 PM
I bought Tigerlily in the mid 90s and never got into it. I sold it at one of those used CD shops. I'm rethinking that decision now.

I am a HUGE Natalie fan, but in all honestly Tigerlily is my least favorite of her solo albums. The sparse arrangements on a lot of the songs just didn't click with me. Besides, Wonder and Carnival, the only song I still listen to off that album is Seven Years which is heartbreakingly gorgeous.

She followed up that record with the lush and beautiful Ophelia. With its gorgeous instrumentation, is not only my favorite Natalie album but is also in my top 10 favorite albums of all time!

Nick
03-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Oh, San Andreas Fault has been my favorite from Tigerlily; it was actually the first song of hers I heard. It was in one of those weepy human interest stories during the Atlanta Olympics lol.

jacob's room
03-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Yeah, Ophelia is brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time, without a doubt.

entropy
03-01-2014, 12:07 AM
I'm a weepy mess after listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZ-v5BW-pQ

Kala
03-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Yeah, Ophelia is brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time, without a doubt.

You have no idea how many times I have balled my eyes out listening to My Skin.

Kala
03-01-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm a weepy mess after listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZ-v5BW-pQ

What a gorgeous version - thanks for posting it - I'd not seen it before. And all the respect to Natalie. All the respect.

entropy
03-01-2014, 12:19 AM
It's perfect! I'm off to cry listen to it again. You should give the book "Wonder" a read. I love it. I'm so happy that it was read in my daughter's 4th grade class. She came home talking about it and I had to buy it.
Palacio quotes the song in the book and was partly inspired by the song to write the book.

http://www.welovethisbook.com/features/rj-palacios-wonderAugust Pullman is ten years old and has always been home-schooled. His parents decide he should start at the local middle school, and Wonder traces his experiences of diving into adolescence at the deep end with no friends and an extremely disfigured face (he looks like the Elephant Man and "eats like a tortoise"). A tender, soul-bearing book, Wonder calls into question memories of high school and what we could have done better.

“My three-year-old responded in a way that wasn’t especially unnatural – he was frightened, and that’s a natural reaction for a three-year-old to have," Palacio says. "What I probably should have done was turn to her and acknowledge that my son was crying and try to engage her in a conversation and say 'I’m sorry, he doesn’t understand things, what’s your name?' - just talk to her on a human level instead of trying to run away from the situation and pretend that she didn’t notice all the stuff that just happened. I mean this little girl must go through this a million times a day, [and I thought] what that must be like for her and how to deal with it and I put myself in her situation and the situation of the parents as well and wonder what it would be like."

Palacio said she started writing the book that night after the song Wonder by Natalie Merchant came on the radio (Doctors have come from distant cities/Just to see me/Stand over my bed/Disbelieving what they're seeing/They say I must be one of the wonders/Of god's own creation/And as far as they can see they can offer/No explanation). “It was a song I’d always loved but it was something about the connection, I guess, between the incident that had happened earlier today and the song, the lyrics, just kind of came together.

“The first line just popped into my head – ‘I know I’m not an ordinary kid’ - and I wrote that down, and suddenly I had the first paragraph, and the first page, and it started kind of writing itself in a strange way.”

jacob's room
03-01-2014, 12:22 AM

Yes! I bawl my eyes out every time it comes on, no matter what circumstances I'm in. Ugh.

Kala
03-01-2014, 12:25 AM
I am so anxious to find out when her tour dates will be to promote the new album. I know she's done a few orchestral shows of late but logistics prevented me from seeing any of them. :(

Blake
03-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Oh, San Andreas Fault has been my favorite from Tigerlily; it was actually the first song of hers I heard. It was in one of those weepy human interest stories during the Atlanta Olympics lol.

Tigerlily is my least favorite Merchant album, too. I'm with you on SAF, it's beautiful and always resorts me to tears. Ophelia is my favorite record of hers hands down, I feel that's usually the consensus of her catalogue.

wout
03-01-2014, 02:57 PM

Oh god yes, that song alone is key factor in Ophelia being my fave Merchant album, though I must say I love the hell out of Tigerlily as well. The sequence Beloved Wife - River - Carnival - I may know the word is stellar. The few songs after that, though, are a bit lightweight until the excellent Seven Years at the end.

Okay so, what would everybody's top 5 be (in no order, cause that would be cruel)?
Mine would be:
- My Skin
- River
- Saint Judas
- San Andreas Fault
- Ophelia.

wout
03-01-2014, 02:58 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4118/4824543943_7fd7696ba0_z.jpg

ZOMG how awesome is that picture!!!! [post28]

Peter Z
03-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Top 5 Natalie songs?

1 // My Skin
2 // Carnival
3 // San Andreas Fault
4 // Beloved Wife
5 // Motherland

Honorable Mentions: If No One Marries Me, Nursery Rhyme of Innocence & Experience, Thick as Thieves, King of May, Seven Years
(I would have put in Verdi Cries, but it's 10,000 Maniacs... argggghh!! :D)

In no order, per wout's suggestion :)

wout
03-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, Verdi Cries is the best 10.000 maniacs song :)

Nick
03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
1. My Skin
2. San Andreas Fault
3. Thick As Thieves
4. Saint Judas
5. Seven Years

When I feel like crying, I pretty much play My Skin and Fiona's I Know on endless loop; two absolutely flawless songs.

Kala
03-01-2014, 05:46 PM
ZOMG how awesome is that picture!!!! [post28]

Thank you, wout. I was so choked up at meeting her that it was hard to hold the tears of joy back.

Kala
03-01-2014, 06:04 PM
I cannot do just a top 5. Here's mine:

Top 5 written while with the Maniacs

Dust Bowl
Eat for Two
Stockton Gala Days
I'm Not the Man
Like the Weather

Top 5 Solo

My Skin
Golden Boy
Life is Sweet
King of May
Henry Darger

Honorary Mentions

Gold Rush Brides
Motherland
Thick as Thieves
Ophelia
Don't Talk
Hey Jack Kerouac
Seven Years
Wonder
Carnival
Ophelia (Reprise)

Scottish Mike
03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Kala, that is a lovely photograph! You look SO happy :) (Very jealous!)
I've not heard Tigerlily yet, but I finally got a copy so that's my plan for today. Looking forward to it.
Also, I'd no idea she was doing the shows in the UK, so I'm gutted to have found out about them this morning, especially considering I'm going on holiday on the 10th of May. I hope she announces some other European dates.

AshaBlack
03-02-2014, 12:47 PM
1. My Skin
2. San Andreas Fault
3. Thick As Thieves
4. Saint Judas
5. Seven Years

When I feel like crying, I pretty much play My Skin and Fiona's I Know on endless loop; two absolutely flawless songs.

I also would add "Me" by Paula Cole to that and it would be the perfect trilogy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacob's room
03-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Album cover!

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1656206_10152250281557937_699044434_n.jpg

Snow White
03-06-2014, 02:46 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4138/4825155342_cea427df56_z.jpg

Aw! I remember that day. So much fun. I look deeply afraid in my photos, haha. But she was nice and drew me a picture anyway.

You'll have to let me know if you're going to any of the NM shows when the dates come out. :) I'm so worried they'll conflict with the Tori shows (to which I already bought tickets because they came out first. Sigh.) I'll be heart broken if I can't make them!

Kala
03-06-2014, 06:46 PM
You'll have to let me know if you're going to any of the NM shows when the dates come out. :) I'm so worried they'll conflict with the Tori shows (to which I already bought tickets because they came out first. Sigh.) I'll be heart broken if I can't make them!

I was thinking the same thing! I do hope that they aren't both going to be performing here on the same day. Also, I am going on vacation in July for 6 days and I hope Natalie won't be doing a show here during that time.

AshaBlack
03-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Album cover!

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1656206_10152250281557937_699044434_n.jpg

I like it! It's simple, natural and it looks good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kala
03-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Album cover!

oh, this is beautiful. love the light and the pose.

wout
03-07-2014, 02:49 PM
I also like the font :D

Snow White
03-07-2014, 02:58 PM
It makes me happy that her grey streak is featured prominantly. (Perhaps because I'm working on my own at age 28. Eeek! :))

Kala
03-12-2014, 11:42 PM
I am a HUGE Natalie fan and this is the first time I've seen this video. This is how you effectively depict different characters - the last one absolutely breaks my heart. I love this so very much. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GryxQEhYRr4

Morrison
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Wow,I've never seen the video,and it's absolutely amazing.Love the oneiric atmosphere,perfect for this evocative and powerful song.Ophelia is pretty much a masterpiece.

Scottish Mike
03-13-2014, 09:55 PM
That is a gorgeous video; I've never seen it before either although I recognise some of the costumes from the Ophelia booklet. I've been rediscovering the album over the last month and a half, and it's been played so much. It's such a well made, atmospheric album. I love Natalie's voice and her lyrics.

Break Your Heart is gorgeous. Really enjoying it at the minute.

Kala
03-13-2014, 11:44 PM
There is also an Ophelia film. It's only for sale on VHS (time flies!)

If you go to Natalie's Website you can:

click here for the opening credits (http://www.nataliemerchant.com/w/ophelia/ophelia-film-opening-credits)

click here for the characters (http://www.nataliemerchant.com/w/ophelia/ophelia-film-characters)

click here for the musical highlights (http://www.nataliemerchant.com/w/ophelia/ophelia-film-musical-highlights)

click here for the closing credits (http://www.nataliemerchant.com/w/ophelia/ophelia-film-closing-credits)

The Seaward
03-14-2014, 12:26 AM
I still have my Ophelia VHS. :) Bought it new at Tower Records (RIP).

Nick
03-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Sorry to boost this thread with nothing of value, but WHERE ARE THE CLIPS?!?!?!

Sarah M., Lykke Li, Ray LaMontagne and a bunch of others due out May 6th all have put something out there by now (although I guess Sarah M. has only done a late night performance and a 90 second clip on iTunes). The album's up for pre-order, and only Ladybird has a time stamp - I wonder if it's going to be the first "single"?

Dying to hear some music from this one! Have I missed a clip/single anywhere?

Snow White
04-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah, at this point, I'm so much more interested in this album than Unrepentant Geraldines. Save us from the madness, Natalie. Give us some clips!

Yo Jupiter
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm looking forward to this one!

My ranking of her albums so far would be:
1. Ophelia

2. Leave Your Sleep

3. Tigerlily
4. Motherland
5. The House Carpenter's Daughter

Kala
04-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Rank the albums!

A+ Ophelia
A Leave Your Sleep
A Motherland
A- The House Carpenter's Daughter
B Tigerlily

I am really excited about her upcoming album. <3

Snow White
04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Motherland
Leave Your Sleep
House Carpenter's Daughter
Ophelia
Tigerlily

Nick
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm surprised Tigerlily is so low on people's lists; it's really almost a dead heat between Tigerlily and Ophelia for me - and they're such different albums too. One is a very complex masterpiece, the other is a pretty perfect, simple little folk album. I'd probably have to go:

Tigerlily
Ophelia
Motherland
Leave Your Sleep

And HCD is so good! Just shows the strength of her catalogue.

AshaBlack
04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm surprised Tigerlily is low too. I really love that album but Ophelia is great too. My Skin is one of her best tracks in my opinion.

Snow White
04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm surprised Tigerlily is so low on people's lists; it's really almost a dead heat between Tigerlily and Ophelia for me - and they're such different albums too. One is a very complex masterpiece, the other is a pretty perfect, simple little folk album. I'd probably have to go:

Tigerlily
Ophelia
Motherland
Leave Your Sleep

And HCD is so good! Just shows the strength of her catalogue.

It's true. I actually love Tigerlily. They're all close for me.

Kala
04-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Natalie discusses the changing music industry, her life at 50, and her upcoming eponymous album. (http://greendoormag.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/natalie-merchant-self-titled/)

http://greendoormag.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/20140225-221515.jpg?w=1035

wout
04-05-2014, 06:27 AM
I would probably give Tigerlily and Ophelia a joined first place. If I had to make a choice, Ophelia would maybe come out on top because it feels a bit more mature. But yeah, I too am surprised to see Ophelia that high in combination with Tigerlily that low on people's lists, since to me they are quite similar in style and emotion.

So my list would be:

Ophelia / Tigerlily
Motherland
.... insert gap here ...
Leave Your Sleep

As much as I can appreciate LyS and HCD, I don't listen to them very much and consider them more as 'projects' than a proper album. It's a bit too honkytonky for me.

AshaBlack
04-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks for posing that article :)
I'm looking forward to this album. As wout mentioned, the last couple of albums felt more like projects so I feel like I haven't had a standard NM album since Motherland.

Andyland
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Natalie played WXPN’s annual benefit Big Day Out on Saturday. She taped a World Cafe session that will air in May:

Setlist
The End (stopped song because of high pitched noise, did not pick it up again)
Lulu
Giving Up Everything
Ladybird
Texas
Kind & Generous

Snow White
04-07-2014, 02:23 PM
^ Oh yay! Thanks for the news.

NUHN
04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes, thanks for the article Kala.

My list would be:

Ophelia / House Carpenter's Daughter
Leave Your Sleep
Tigerlily
Motherland

Joey
04-09-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.npr.org/event/music/300700025/first-watch-natalie-merchant-giving-up-everything

GAH! Absolutely fucking gorgeous. <3

wout
04-09-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.npr.org/event/music/300700025/first-watch-natalie-merchant-giving-up-everything

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: ahaha joey beat me to it!

Joey
04-09-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah that just about destroyed me. UGH! <3

wout
04-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Fucking hell! This is so much more than I hoped it would be. Less country twang, this sounds like it could've been on Ophelia. That voice, those strings, that crescendo at the end. It's fabulous.

entropy
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
WOW! All I can say is WOW!

Kala, where are you?

Edit: Now that I have caught my breath, the video, Natalie Merchant herself, and the song are absolutely stunning! I've been more of a causal fan, but I'm so flipping excited for this!

beanstew
04-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Amazing. Just amazing. Can't wait for the album!

wout
04-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Kala, where are you?

I'm really curious what her reaction will be :)

entropy
04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
She's probably too stunned by the song to even write. Someone might need to go check on her! <3

The Markness
04-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Beautiful song! I'm a casual Natalie fan but this definitely has me intrigued for the new music. :)

Peter Z
04-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Love this song! And the visuals are delightfully simple but hugely arresting. An amazing, amazing video!

Snow White
04-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Just adding my love for this song/video. <3

(And also my love for Natalie's grey hair.)

The mask reminded me a tiny bit of the video for My Brightest Diamond's "Be Brave."